8.2

1. Jun 18, 2011
    I grabbed F.E.A.R during the Steam 50% deal (17th June 2011). Having never played any of the FEAR games and not really a FPS fan, I only bought them because they were cheap. This game really surprised me. Graphically it's pretty good and plays at a rock solid 60FPS. The story is interesting and the horror element is well done (lights going out, doors slamming, etc). For me, It's the gun battles and the AI that sell FEAR. Having played many FPS over the years I don't recall any with such clever enemies. If you encounter a group of 4 soldiers and take aim, you fire your weapon they spread out and look for cover. One will fire back while the other 3 will try to outwit you by flanking, throwing a grenade, moving up high, etc. Having never fired a rifle or been in a fire fight, FEAR puts on screen how I would imagine a REAL gun battle would be. You cannot charge in and expect to come out untouched. You have to look for cover and pick each target off one by one while they in turn do the same. The gun sounds are convincing and just about everything you see can be shot at leaving trails of dust, wall tiles, broken boxes and spent extinguishers. FEAR is tons of fun. If you're looking for a great action FPS you can't go wrong with FEAR. Expand
  2. Jun 26, 2011
    According to these user reviews FEAR seems to be a love or hate experience. People junk this game for repetitive levels, bad graphics, and lack of enemy diversity. I just don't see any of that except maybe the bad level complaint is valid. Although who cares about how the levels look when the gameplay is so solid. I just played this game again in 2011 and it's still an awesome game. My one complaint with this game is even on the hardest difficulty it is still a bit too easy. The reason people love or hate this game is because its focus is the same gameplay over and over in different variations so if you don't like the shooting mechanic you will pretty much hate the whole game. Monolith has an epic resume of games Expand
  3. Oct 2, 2010
    The game is scary.Scary as hell.But not the scary type you will find in doom 3.A much much more scary fear.The japanese kind of fear inducing.The one which really disturbes you.And you will be scared.I felt chills cod as ice on the back when i saw Alma first time.The game is full of tension.The shooting is tactical.The weapons are ok.Even the soldiers scared me sometimes.Good.
  4. May 14, 2011
    FEAR is one of my personal favorites because it gets a lot of things right for me. The atmosphere, scares, and intriguing story really sets FEAR out to be a creative title. The variety of weapons are fantastic and fun though the environments may become repetitive. Slowly discovering the truth behind Alma and Fettel's past is extremely interesting and the end will leave you very satisfied. Overall a great shooter that every PC gamer should try out! Expand
  5. Jun 17, 2011
    Has to be one of the best first person horror shooters ever made. Before F.E.A.R., there was very little to choose from in the action horror genre. Monolith Timegate really did a great job in putting together a quality game that will give you chills. It reminds me of those horror movies like The Ring and The Grudge. It provides the right complement of shooting action combined with well placed cut scenes. Many of the enemies are quite unique and offer some serious challenge on the higher difficulty settings. The slow motion feature does make the game a little easy, but you can deliberately not use it. The ideal way to experience this game is to create a scare factor atmosphere by playing it at night with the lights turned off. Highly recommended if you've never played it. Expand
  6. Mar 19, 2012
    I recently revisited F.E.A.R. for the first time in five years, and to say it's aged well would be a huge understatement. F.E.A.R. is truly creepy - there's very little of the unexpected scares (monsters jumping out at you etc.) that most horror games are filled with, and instead the game relies on the slow buildup of an incredibly tense atmosphere through cutaway flashes and gruesome visuals.
    All the weapons (especially the combat shotgun) feel powerful and really pack a punch. Unlike most FPS games I found myself reguarly switching between different guns, rather than sticking to the same three the whole game. The slomo bullet-time feature, despite being done before, was a great addition and added to the tactical gameplay. Using it to blast off your enemies limbs and heads never got old. The AI is really impressive, with soldiers really working together to outflank you or flush you out of cover with grenades. It's true that the levels are somewhat repetitive, but I like how Monolith have payed homage to classic shooters like DOOM and Half-Life in their semi-linear interior layouts; offering the choice to follow the main hallways and storm through the levels, or take the time to explore and be rewarded with medkits, ammo and intriguing voicemail. F.E.A.R. is a huge achievement for Monolith, and despite the lacklustre sequels it will long be known as one of their greatest triumphs.
  7. Feb 8, 2012
    Hands down, best horror game ever. And yes, I have played Amnesia. The incredible A.I, buckets full of blood, paranormal events and that creepy feeling you get when you walk around a corner .. hands down best horror game ever and best game in the F.E.A.R. series. But those robots and automatic defense systems are poor and that's why this is not rated a ten. Get this game, now!
  8. Sep 21, 2011
    so realistic game. and the subject is such original. weapons, environments and game play are fantastic. maybe the game would be more long. my point is 11/10.
  9. Sep 29, 2011
    A horror fps, with very clever scare tactics. Not like your run of the mill horror style shooter, the tension really builds up as you go along, and once you find out the true story of the games, leave you even more shocked. A must play for any fans of fps/psychological horror games.
  10. Nov 4, 2013
    This destroyed my trousers when it first came out. The bullet time "superpower" was a great addition and the story is great. Fantastic shooter. Grab it.
  11. Dec 23, 2011
    Must-have for people who like horror kind of stuff because it is the scariest game I ever did play. Very fun indeed and there is only one problem; I'm gonna have nightmares for weeks.
  12. Jan 3, 2013
    This is how scary and high octane action game should look like. And for those saying the story is non-existent or too linear, I guess you weren't paying much of an attention to all those phone messages and research from laptops. 9/10
  13. Nov 19, 2011
    In 2005 when this came out, it blew away every game in terms of graphics realism, oustanding enemy ai, and solid care gameplay action. It was sometimes repetitive in it's corridor shooter focus, but its strong points made up for it for the most part.
  14. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is more like a John Woo film with the Grudge thrown in. It is without a doubt one of the funnest fps games I have ever played, probably because the enemy AI is the best I have ever played against, even 6 years later. The story is also interesting, and there are a few great scares, but it DOES get repetitive around the middle levels.
  15. Dec 22, 2011
    I played all F.E.A.R. games and it really scary even now. I remember that i first played it when i was in middle school, and it was sooooooo horrific and scary!! The atmosphere in this game is awesome, which created a very scary environment. Some people might complain about the graphic but this game is actually a 2005 game, so what kind of graphic are you expecting? Compare to some other game that came out in the same year, F.E.A.R. is actually not bad!! But one thing sad is the multiplayer no longer available... Expand
  16. Jun 4, 2012
    A slow, morbid and clever storyline, tense and nervous firefights, a very good balance among weapons, amazing music and sounds, the smartest AI you can find in a FPS. The action part is perfect, the horror part is perfect and the balance between both is perfect. A masterpiece.
  17. Jun 12, 2012
    GREATEST. GAME. EVER. Nothing more to say. Friggin scary, epic graphics at that time, and awesome dialogue. Too bad Fear2 didn't even reached F.E.A.R to the socks

GG
  18. Aug 9, 2012
    A classic video game that succeeds at giving you a dead, tense feeling inside. The game delivers exactly what it's supposed to, giving a repetitive, tedious gameplay experience that dives deep into your mind, invading all of your senses while making you drown in the dread of the story. Each skirmish is brought out in a fearful manor, making you watch out intensely each time you go into a door.......... This game knows how to control you......... Buy this game today. Expand
  19. Dec 14, 2012
    This game is fantastic now, even ,more so for it's time back in the day. If you havent played it yet, it cant hurt to give it a whirl! The graphics are tolerable and the ambient noises and sound effects in general, plus very solid gunplay and smart AI (their tactics surprised me) are fantastic. Don't regret a thing, in 2012.
  20. Dec 25, 2012
    This game is the Half-Life of the Horror shooters genre. Who says that the story is bad clearly hasn't understood it, because it's a deep, mature, disturbing and dramatic story, talking of experiments on human beings which return to avenge their past. Also, this is one of the few games that made jump more than one time. You will feel scared a lot of times. Also, the enemies are strong and with a great AI... the won't go down easyly. The arsenal is not very large, but is various, starting with normal guns and finishing with sci-fi guns like plasma cannons. All guns are funny to use. This game features also a bullet-time mode ("Slow-Mo") that you can active to make the firefights easier... you'll really need it. This is ine of the best first person shooter that I ever played... at least one of the scarier and with the best story. Recommended. Highly recommended. Expand
  21. Sep 5, 2014
    I played the game several times. Started playing again yesterday.. and I could not stop for 2 solid hours! One of the best games I have played. Dark, atmospheric, creepy, solid gameplay mechanics and still good looking. I care for the story, hell of a horrorshooter. Hard to find a game that is on par (Half Life Series comes to mind, nothing else).
  22. Jun 14, 2013
    I can't actually think of any flaws for this game, besides the graphics and boring environments, but this is 2013. I don't expect an 8-year-old game to retroactively gain amazing graphics. It's definitely scary sometimes, and the level design is AMAZING. The gameplay is great and has the best AI I've ever seen in a shooter. The environments are extremely samey, as well. Overall, a great game, one of the best FPSs of all time. Expand
  23. Sep 14, 2014
    Hands down one of the best FPS games ever made. Why people call it a horror FPS is beyond me though. I did not find the game frightening at all aside from a couple jump scares. Best gun play and attention to detail. Bullets rip out chunks of dry wall and bullets will spark off certain materials. This is all magnified by the slow mo ability. The AI is easily some of the best in an FPS ever. They will flank you, grenade your position if you stay in one place for too long, and lean around cover just like you can. Enemy variety is limited but they are tough. You have standard troopers, big armored suits, and even small mechs that are quite deadly. Your melee attacks are also very powerful and you can also execute a jump kick and a slide kick. The story isn't bad and you learn about it through scripted events, voice mail messages, and laptops littered throughout levels.

A couple things I didn't care for. This is basically a corridor shooter with a more open or varied area from time to time. Environments mainly consist of industrial areas, office parks, and secret underground labs. The weapon variety is standard fare until about half way through the game when you start finding way more interesting weapons like the rail gun, the autocannon, and the multirocket launcher. It's a short game, but it's worth another playthrough or two if you like experiencing different difficulties.
  24. Aug 1, 2014
    Really scared the crap out of me I got totally immersed in this game it was so surreal. Not for the faint of heart or the weak of bowel and bladder. Plus the FPS gunplay and A.I. combat is rather intense and challenging if you avoid using the slow mo feature.
  25. Apr 22, 2014
    The problem with this game in general is that the combat is in such close proximity to the horror elements without ever blurring the lines. It keeps them separate, so when the horror stuff starts you never feel in danger (because theres no combat), and when theres combat you never feel scared (because theres no girl with psychic powers after you).
    It's somewhat jarring to go from combat
    to scary, especially with the lack of tension build up... when you encounter the horror aspects while still in a combat mindset, it underwhelms the experience tenfold.

Horror: 6/10

Story: while it tells the story well through the use of laptops and radio communication, in the end it feels like you haven't learned anything truly interesting. And it leaves quite a few questions unanswered. I felt like there could have been more to it all.

Story: 5/10
    Characters: 3/10

But now the good stuff:

AI- the most intelligent AI I've ever encountered, enemies will fire by peeking around corners, circling around to get you, cover fire at you while the other guy moves in closer... throw grenades to flush you out and at the same time never ceasing to give up. They chat to each other like real soldiers would.

Combat- it's dam fun to see sparks fly off bullet holes, and pieces of walls crumble, and dust clouds to build up after enough gun fire.
    You take on many squads and even some heavy armor guys with better weaponry. You fire with dual pistols & a spikegun. It makes it easy to switch between which grenade you want and throw it without having to equip it. However there are no real "bosses" which means the combat never truly challenges what you've learned.

Level Design- There are some really nice areas like the water purification plant, warehouse areas and then offices, and one sewer part. But then things stay pretty much the same in terms of variety going through samey areas till the end where we get some labs. More outdoors!

Gameplay: 9/10
    Graphics: 10/10
    Audio: 8/10
    Atmosphere: 7/10
  26. Aug 30, 2013
    F.E.A.R. definitely takes it place up there with all the other shooter classics (Half-Life 2, Bioshock, System Shock 2, etc.). The action is smooth and fun, and the story is phenomenal. It's not too scary, but I don't think it was meant to be that scary. In conclusion F.E.A.R. is hands down one of the best FPS experiences you can get on PC.
  27. Aug 4, 2013
    Mračna igra fenomenalne grafike i efekata, velika trajnost............................................................................................
  28. Jul 8, 2014
    A legend in FPS genre. A pure clasic. In my personal top list of best FPS games is on the same stage with Half-life 2 and Far Cry 1. Pros: +solid gameplay. Bullets feel like they do actual damage. Weapons have recoill. Vary good implementation of slow motion. +legendary A.I +awesome graphics. Looks good even by today standards +sound. Sound of weapons and most important, the soundtrack is EPIC !
    +Storyline. EPIC ending !

Cons:
    -some say the levels are repetitive. Personal I never felt like this. There are many levels out of bussines building.
    -maybe not so horror. A good thing for me doh' :)

10/10. A must play !
  29. Aug 30, 2013
    If you need some action, just play F.E.A.R. Game is fantastic. Atmosphere, good AI, soundtrack, graphic and many more. That's why you should play this game. It's in my TOP 5 shooter games and I don't see any new game which can beat F.E.A.R. and Alma Wade
  30. Feb 20, 2014
    Amazing game that holds up great over time. The graphics show their age a bit but the overall feel of the game remains. The dark environments, glimpses into the underlying plot and overall suspense keeps you on edge and eager for more. The levels get a bit repetitive but the variety of weapons and challenges helps keep the pace flowing. The horror/suspense bits are well thought out and although they dont often scare, they constantly surprise. They slowdown power is always fun to use and produces some very entertaining results (game physics get a little weird in slow-mo). Overall great experience that I would recommend to almost anybody. Expand
  31. Feb 11, 2014
    Playing it, playing it again. and again. and again.... Everything fits perfectly into a cake of delightful gunplay awesome graphics (still!)! breathtaking slowmo-effects! an enemy ai that is still unchallenged up to date! these damn delicoius particle-effects! the room for movement! Every fight can differ! Ah yeah. And there are the "scary" parts. In my honest opinion they arent really that scary, cheap jumpcsares aren't shoved permanently in your face and... in my opinion the gunfights are STILL the major pulsside that keep this game still on top of my list. Even this day and age!

Unmatched!
    Forget the casualized "Fear2" and the even worse cash-in and dumbed down "F3AR"!
    Play this and feel with your sweaty hands why this game is unmatched in its gunplay and slow-mo-feeling!
  32. Nov 13, 2013
    F.E.A.R. it's a beautiful horror games, and for me one of the best of the history, i love FPS and horror, F.E.A.R. is a mixture perfectly made, with a story and a background story more than interesting, if you have never play it, PLAY IT it's a must play
  33. QOO
    Nov 16, 2013
    If Max Payne and Doom had a baby, this would be the game. This game has excellent gunplay, and some of the best A.I I've ever seen. F.E.A.R is excellent all the way through, and is injected with some bullet time to help you keep going. Horror-wise, it isn't that scary. It's basically jumpscare after jumpscare, and it can sometimes be effective, but it usually isn't. Buy it for the shooting. If I could give this game more than 10, I would. Expand
  34. Nov 22, 2013
    I think the game is awesome, I had it when it first came out and just repurchased it. It still has great graphics and a good storyline. And it will make you jump a few times too.
  35. Nov 25, 2013
    One of the best games out there in the FPS genre. It's a fast-action game that will make you look at every corner, waiting to be ambushed by enemies. The story is fantastic, the first game of this epic trilogy that is F.E.A.R.
  36. Dec 22, 2013
    One of the few shooter games that has the cool slow motion. Good story. They really did a good job when they put this game together. It is like one of those old movies that you just wont to keep coming back too & watch over & over.
  37. Aug 16, 2014
    Great atmosphere consist of crisp yet gloomy image haunting audio and devoted level design.

I like the semi-realistic weapon design, its intuitive control and the intense firefight scenes with some sharp difficulty curves but also very rewarding.

Most interesting story compared to other FPS, make me actually feel care for the characters.

1. F.E.A.R.'s troopers try so hard, you almost hate not fighting fair. [Jan 2005, p.96]
  2. Is it the next "Half-Life"? It may very well be since anticipation for a sequel is rising every day as more and more play F.E.A.R. for the first time.
  3. But the fantastic graphics, sound, and firefights all blend to make F.E.A.R. an excellent game, though in order to enjoy the graphics and the game to its fullest, you must have a high-end computer system. In closing, F.E.A.R. is definitely one of this year’s best games.