6.5

1. Jul 12, 2013
    Fez is just another one of the many "retro-style" indie games that uses it's graphics as an excuse to make the game seem more back-to-basics and stylized. It's already late to the hype, not to mention the style itself doesn't match with true retro platformers. The puzzles are boring and not challenging, the music is flat (actually it's "ambient" *wink* *wink*), and the developer himself isFez is just another one of the many "retro-style" indie games that uses it's graphics as an excuse to make the game seem more back-to-basics and stylized. It's already late to the hype, not to mention the style itself doesn't match with true retro platformers. The puzzles are boring and not challenging, the music is flat (actually it's "ambient" *wink* *wink*), and the developer himself is not worthy of praise. I'll give it a 3 because of the colors and the fact that this took five years to develop. Expand
  2. May 2, 2013
    FEZ in a nutshell: A continuous, slow paced hunt for events that make your world spin around. The 4 is given for good visuals, okay audio, and amount of content. Should there be something that just makes you push for that one next cube, I'd give it a lot more, but there simply isn't.
  3. May 1, 2013
    Doesn't work as intended. Crashed on first loadup, noticed my fan was going crazy so I checked my temperatures. CPU was at over 90 C. This game is so ill-optimized it will try to kill your computer.
    If you have any intention of playing this and don't live in antartica, play the waiting game a bit more first
  4. Dec 10, 2013
    Another greatly over rated PC game. I think this game mostly appeals to people who like to search out secrets. I dislike that type of game so I found to be mind numbingly boring.
    For such a simple game it runs pretty slowly on my PC, which runs most modern games very well. Controls with my Xbox wireless controller are a bit off, Fez would sometimes wander off and fall off the screen.
  5. Oct 19, 2013
    What is up with the critic love-fest going on here? Admittedly I did feel all warm and fuzzy for the first hour of playing this game and I wanted to tell my friends about it. However, after that first hour I realized that this game is pretty much just.... blaaah. My reasons are varied, but I will just say this: "Fez" gets very boring, very fast. It absolutely does not deserve the hype itWhat is up with the critic love-fest going on here? Admittedly I did feel all warm and fuzzy for the first hour of playing this game and I wanted to tell my friends about it. However, after that first hour I realized that this game is pretty much just.... blaaah. My reasons are varied, but I will just say this: "Fez" gets very boring, very fast. It absolutely does not deserve the hype it is getting. It is aesthetically pleasing in some respects, but that is all. Expand
  6. Sep 16, 2013
    Another overrated indie "retro" lazy platformer game. Gameplay is based on a gimmick and is very easy, no penalties. When you're stuck just rotate and now you aren't stuck. This 2D/3D gameplay merge has been done before.
  7. Jul 11, 2013
    An interesting concept of mixing 2D and 3D graphics and that's where it all ends... It has huge technical issues on some rigs, but this is by far not its biggest problem: it is mind-numbingly boring! Only for the most persevering aficionados of Rubik's cubes.
  8. Jul 17, 2013
    Very esoteric puzzler... maybe I came looking for the wrong thing (fun game play) and failed to enjoy what is really here (ambiance and mood lighting) but this was just not my cup of tea. I found this game to be very boring once the novelty of the Escher space wore off (about 2-3 hours in for me).
  9. Oct 8, 2013
    One Word: Nonsense. Another Word: Rubbish. Finally, it's plain stupid for anyone to even consider playing this game. SEGA's time has come and gone. So stop reminding us with this 2d/Block 3d game. I don't even know what dimension to call it.
  10. Aug 2, 2013
    Extremely boring and nothing happens at all times. Also extremely easy. I'm glad I didn't buy this and only played it from a friend's steam account. This is not a game for a mind that wants challenges, but rather for someone that has enough challenges in real life and only wants a method to unwind. Why does it cost more than 50 cents?
  11. Nov 26, 2013
    Another artistic retro indie game, that's new. If you love to stroke your ego by playing a generic 8-bit platformer with little to no challenge, this is for you. At least you'll know you're superior to those idiots that just don't understand the art behind every pixel.
  12. Aug 11, 2013
    The game runs and the visuals are not bad(+2).

The game is basically paper-mario but with no production value or story. Game Features: Wander around aimlessly for 30 mins, Look at decent visuals, Remember paper-mario.

Most people will buy the game on sale for their dusty indie collection and never play it.
  13. Jul 18, 2013
    This was one of my last games to get sucked in by the hype train. Everyone called it ground breaking, and once I started playing realized my mistake. I hope you like not knowing what the you are doing. BUT LOOK THE WALLS TURN
  14. Sep 23, 2013
    Boring and repetitive. Yawn. And I really hate those lazy 8 bit Minecraft style graphics that's just an excuse for not making better graphics. It's 2013. Not the 80s.
  15. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. continuous, slow paced hunt for events that make your world spin around. The 4 is given for good visuals, okay audio, and amount of content. Should there be something that just makes you push for that one next cube, I'd give it a lot more, but there simply isn't. it's also hipster garbage Expand
  16. Apr 9, 2014
    Very bad performance issues, bland gameplay and overly repetitive. Developer is one of the biggest cry babies to ever set foot in the gaming industry. Keep your Fez 2, nobody wants it.
  17. Nov 7, 2014
    Very cheap, trashy game. All of it's "gameplay" is stolen from other games. There is NOTHING original here. This game has a lot of game breaking bugs that still haven't been fixed. Buy at your own risk.
  18. May 6, 2013
    It has not worked since launch day. For some reason it cannot work without a discrete graphics card. This limitation should have been made apparent, especially before pre-selling the game.
  19. Aug 23, 2013
    I don't really know why people liked this game so much, it's boring and always the same thing about 2D games. I just laught at start but then it becomes too bored game.
  20. Mei
    Sep 6, 2013
    This game is a mess and the support is even worse. It doesn't work as intended.
    It crashes with most graphic cards after 1 minute of gameplay.
    It doesn't surprise me that the trailer stops at the moment when he gains the Fez hat, because after that a LOT of graphic artifacts appear and the game suddenly crash. Tested with more than 3 computers with different specs, and also with my work
    This game is a mess and the support is even worse. It doesn't work as intended.
    It crashes with most graphic cards after 1 minute of gameplay.
    Tested with more than 3 computers with different specs, and also with my work computer: i7-2670QM 8 GB RAM ATI 6770m.
  21. Jul 24, 2013
    This is a typical example for bad indie retro-graphic games.
    It imitates the graphics from the past, but it has no deep at all. You respwan immeadantly at the
    spot where you failed. Fine graphics dont polish that. What a fake game.
  22. Feb 26, 2014
    Manic Miner graphics from 1983. ??? No thanks. Should be some kind of warning before buy that. Feels pretty cheated cause this is worst game I ever tried to play!
  23. Jul 29, 2013
    There are many things to bring up about this "game", to begin with It's a concept that has been done several times before.
    This game does not have any difficulty, there is no enemies, the puzzles can be solved by a year old. If you fall of a platform you'll respawn AT THE SAME PLATFORM. So much for a difficult and innovative platformer.
    The pixel art is decent, music pretty much made

The pixel art is decent, music pretty much made in a chiptune generator and still it gets praised, people are so ignorant.
    This game will get boring after 5 minutes, I suggest you to pirate it if you want it so bad.
  24. Aug 9, 2013
    The game is medium quality and the developer is a complete idiot so bye Therefore is there are so many bugs that gonna end in a crash that is all
  25. Nov 5, 2013
    Phil Fish an absolute hipster tosspot, and Fez is one of the worst games ever made. There is no challenge to be had here. There are no enemies and if you die, you restart immediately where you left off. The graphics look like a poor man's version of the poor man's version of Cave Story, and unlike other indie games, doesn't even have good music.

And don't forget the "FUNNY INTERNET

And don't forget the "FUNNY INTERNET JOKES" because you know, indie games. Fez 2 is cancelled? Good. The world has been spared from more of Phil Fish's awful games.
  26. Oct 17, 2013
    People maybe are a bit confused. Be an original game doesn't mean necessary to be a good game. I don't like the graphic, this retro style is only an excuse for lazy indie developers to create cheap graphic. The concept is original but puzzles become very boring after a while. I have no idea how some people define this a Masterpice.. Tetris was a masterpiece, not this retro-mambo-jumbo game.
  27. Sep 8, 2013
    This game first of all looks way to hyped as it is. I wouldnt have a problem with the game if it had a straight forward path and not its entire map looking like a spider web and constantly having to backtrack just because you thought that little detour brought you to the other side of the map err i mean spider web the map doesnt even look like a map
  28. Sep 16, 2013
    Bland and not very entertaining after the first hour. The game becomes more of a chore than entertainment. Feel like I have wasted my money on this over priced over hyped game.
  29. Nov 19, 2013
    Terrible game. The story is obvious and already seen so many times, this game just try to be original in all the way that he can, but always fails.

Seriously, this whole thing about mixing 3D and 2D is too overused. And the gameplay sistem is all messed up, seems like it want the player to go mad. Is impossible to play. I give it credits, the intro was very nice, probably the only

I give it credits, the intro was very nice, probably the only part of the game that wasn't frustrating, and the ambience and animations are really well made. They should have spend all this time thinking about the story and not those little things.

A game that I don't suggest to play. Never-ever.
  30. Jun 19, 2014
    OVER-HYPED FODDER.

This game... wow. The art style is pretty boring. The game play is somewhat unique however it fails on nearly every level of being exciting or challenging. You have gameplay like this and the entire game is still a walk in the park? Who MADE these levels? A second grader? The main character is completely bland and uninteresting. I could care less about his hat (a
    OVER-HYPED FODDER.

The main character is completely bland and uninteresting. I could care less about his hat (a fez, which the game was named after. Yes. The game was named after the worst hat type in human existence).

In the end, pass completely on this. I can't believe ANYONE would give this a 10. Seriously? FODDER
  31. Jan 9, 2015
    What a pretentious piece of game this is. It certainly shows that big effort was put into it. But the end result was totally not satisfying for me. It's not that I don't like puzzles, I do (to a normal extend)...
    I realized early in the game that there was some "master" plot behind this strange symbols and that there is hidden alphabet and numerical system. In the same way that I realized when I was playing Riven nearly two decades ago. But in the good game you feel inspired to discover it all, while in this one, you are going to feel bored. I can guarantee you that at some point you are going to leave this game alone, because it just don't appeal to you anymore. And this moment will probably be in the first 5 hours of it. Give yourself a favor and don't waste your time, there are much more engaging and fun indie games out there. Leave this over-hyped example of a really smelly brain fart alone.
  32. Jul 29, 2013
    The pixel art is decent, music pretty much made

1. Jun 23, 2013
    A masterpiece by any measure. [July 2013, p.89]
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    A gorgeous puzzle-platformer that's both a treat for the eyes and a thorough workout for the mind. [July 2013, p.82]
    The variation of the broken-down elements of the game is such that, if you miss two or three of the dozens of screens of the game, you will have missed on something special and unique. [June 2013]