6.5

1. Nov 23, 2014
    A pretty good puzzle platformer that suffers from confusing level design, rather plain visuals, and the unfortunate aspect of having an absolutely terrible developer.
  2. AWG
    Sep 14, 2013
    A dull (and glitched) game for dull (and glitched) people.
  3. Jun 11, 2013
    Indie Game The Movie there I've found out about this game. The genre isn't my piece of cake, but I was curious about the game mechanics. I must say this game is pretty original combining 2D and 3D. The graphics are pretty, the music is relaxing. The world has a lot of details and seems to be crafted with love.
    I won't be dissing Phil Fish because he really made a game which can be
    I won't be dissing Phil Fish because he really made a game which can be advised to try to almost every gamer because it gives unique and refreshing experience.
  4. Nov 13, 2013
    Very charming and fun old school game with a fantastic twist on the 2.5D angle. There may well be some bugs but if you can fight past those you have a very witty, fun and warm game.
  5. Jul 17, 2013
    Fez would be perfect if it worked the way it should have on launch. The game itself is really interesting, featuring a bright color palette and is jam packed with interesting design choices. Unfortunately, I can't recommend you buy it on PC, as it is was very poorly optimized and could easily blue-screen your rig. If an Xbox or PS3 is an option, play this game there.
  6. Jun 10, 2014
    Uno de los juegos mejor valorados de la historia, pero a parte de contenido visual sinceramente no me dijo nada. Tal vez demasiado hype alrededor que luego no se ve cumplido. Si te interesa lo indie es una buena compra, aunque mejor para rebajas.
  7. Sep 12, 2013
    Great puzzle game and is incredibly original. Just genuinely fun to play. Sad to see its score getting effected because of the 360 versions problems..
  8. Feb 26, 2014
    Manic Miner graphics from 1983. ??? No thanks. Should be some kind of warning before buy that. Feels pretty cheated cause this is worst game I ever tried to play!
  9. Dec 28, 2013
    Absolutely beautiful and enjoyable game. All of the low scores are because of it's crashes/glitches in early stages, these are ALL FIXED as far as I'm concerned. This game revolves around collecting objects, and with no actual fast-paced action it's a very calming game, and not to mention it's very atmospheric as well! Very fun game here, I just wish the worlds/levels were set up a littleAbsolutely beautiful and enjoyable game. All of the low scores are because of it's crashes/glitches in early stages, these are ALL FIXED as far as I'm concerned. This game revolves around collecting objects, and with no actual fast-paced action it's a very calming game, and not to mention it's very atmospheric as well! Very fun game here, I just wish the worlds/levels were set up a little more organized, it is very easy to get lost and ends up wasting a lot of time you could've spent exploring more of this very unique and beautiful world! Overall though, I definitely recommend this game to anyone that wants a relaxing, slow-paced platformer, with beautiful, eye-pleasing visuals and classic retro sound effects, and an awesome atmosphere and a truly unique world. Expand
  10. Oct 27, 2014
    A visually stunning game that has a questionable story, FEZ takes a bold step into the modern gamer's realm and manages to topple my expectations. Overall, it is a pretty solid game.
  11. May 17, 2014
    Who can say that FEZ is a bad game? Honestly, this game is a great platform game! The music is beautiful, the scenery as well, and on top of that the gameplay is enhanced by the fact that it is necessary to turn the screen to advance in the game I think it adds a real difficultée gaming platform, and this is a very good idea that developers found there!
  12. Jun 5, 2014
    [FEZ / Steam PC / Score 9.5 ]
    [FEZ / Steam PC / Score 9.5 ]
    This was truly worth the wait for a PC port.... A platformer game in a 3D world that can be viewed from 4 sides and played as a flat 2D world - if two things touch then they are connected! I played this with a keyboard and mouse and had a blast. This game is hard.... PC hard.... At least 25% of puzzles cannot be solved the first time you encounter them.... And so I would keep playing other parts of the game and then come back - and BINGO I could figure out how to solve them. Too much fun for nine bucks and ninety nine cents! [/Pirate accent] Do Not Worry aboot finishin’ ‘e game....yule find hints and walkthrus all over ‘e ‘net....[/] This game is Fun.... PC Fun.... and if you don’t know what that means then go get a PC.... {I own a ColecoVision so why bother with a iPhone or an iPad - don’t be an rtard and go get yourself the ultimate gaming machine}. Treat yourself to true blue Indie Goodness. This game let’s you finish before all the problems are solved - and then [/spoiler] you get upgraded when you restart the [new game+] and just enjoy what happens.... These guys at Polytron are great.... This is the ultimate first game release that all game developers wish for.... and the ultimate indie game for you gaming nerds [buy this game] Released on PC 2013.05 and played by me [Random General thoughts]

- - - - build your own PC - sign up for Steam and blow your mind.

Yeah - PC gaming is where it…. is…. at.... ha ha ha hahaaaaaa haha aaahahaa ahahahah.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse

[MyFavorites] [Win7] Stacking Metro2033 Rochard TheDreamMachine Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born] 1964
  13. Oct 8, 2013
    One Word: Nonsense. Another Word: Rubbish. Finally, it's plain stupid for anyone to even consider playing this game. SEGA's time has come and gone. So stop reminding us with this 2d/Block 3d game. I don't even know what dimension to call it.
  14. May 6, 2013
    You can feel the love care and attention lavished on this game through every pixel of its sumptuous levels.
    It is not often that you come across a game that has its own language and number set. The different rooms and levels are littered with symbols and clues that you can either dismiss as decoration or, if you are prepared to put in some time code- cracking ,a rich diverse and rewarding universe awaits you.
    Not all of it is perfect by any means. Some of the levels are better than others, and moving from hub to hub and room to room can be frustrating and time consuming.
    Any one who thinks of themselves as a Gamer is duty bound to play this game, regardless of platform, and once I become Ruler of the Universe I shall make it compulsory for everyone
  15. Sep 7, 2013
    The game is fine, but not amazing. I either didn't know or didn't remember the big gameplay hook, so it was a wonderful surprise when it was revealed about five minutes into the game. Unfortunately, it was one of the only memorable bits about the game. I mostly bought Fez because of all the rave reviews, but alas the game is rated about 20 points too high. This indie escalation thingThe game is fine, but not amazing. I either didn't know or didn't remember the big gameplay hook, so it was a wonderful surprise when it was revealed about five minutes into the game. Unfortunately, it was one of the only memorable bits about the game. I mostly bought Fez because of all the rave reviews, but alas the game is rated about 20 points too high. This indie escalation thing has just got to stop! Seriously, if we're going to rate indie games on a different scale (with 90 being perfectly adequate and 5 being complete garbage), then we need to be up front about it so that nobody really believes that an indie game with a 90 rating is going to be as good as a AAA title with a 90 rating. This one certainly, definitely, without a doubt is not as good. Expand
  16. Oct 14, 2013
    Technical Issues[1]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[5.0]
  17. May 4, 2013
    The initial PC release had a tendency to crash, but that seems to be resolved by now. Besides that, Fez is about as good as you could expect: nice pixealart graphics, interesting and unique game mechanics and levels/puzzles that make it shine. And unless you plan on getting all the secrets, Fez is also rather short and easy, and I didn't really mind that, because...

...while the game is

...while the game is fine as it is, I did not feel like playing something memorable and there are acpects of the design that are simply bothersome. First there are those black hole things that block your movements. They are just annoying and in most cases reentering the level makes them dissapear. And this does not seem to be a bug. I am not really sure what is the point of having those obstacles, if I can just get rid of them and even if I don't, there does not seem to be any kind of reward for navigating around them.

Then there is the matter of traveling across larger distances in the world. The world itself is a bunch of interconnected levels with a few (like 5) hubs that allow instant travel between them. Also at the end of some of the levels there are small teleports that will get you to closest hub. So, travel between the hubs is fast and easy, but getting to the actual puzzle further away from the hub requires you to jump again through all the levels on the way. Which is as annoying as it sounds, if not more. I really wish that I could just get instantly to any level I have already been to.

Furthermore the retro 3-colored levels are pain to navigate and the world feels just incredibly empty. The village at the beginning is just filled with interesting NPCs, and there is a similiar one near the end of the game, but inbetween, all those locations feel just like puzzles with fancy props, devoid of any actual life. A bunch of reappearing NPCs throughout the world would help the immersion so much, but no luck thre either.

So, yeah, Fez does what was expected of it and does it well, but there is not much more beyond that, which is kinda shame. And yeah, there seem to be loads of secrets that might ramp up the playtime and difficulty considerably, but the game wasn't really that fun for me to bother with those.
  18. Sep 19, 2013
    Very nice concept, but the way it is executed is really boring. It's still a decent game though. And by decent I mean just enough to get a little bit of fun out of it. It's not a terrible game. But it's not a lot of fun either.
  19. Oct 3, 2013
    Fez. There has been said a lot, but I'm happy I hardly read any of it before playing this game. In short this multidimensional puzzle-platformer has a lot of great ideas, novel puzzles and some ridiculously stupid ones which are way too convoluted for their own good. Which are which? Well, for most of them it depends on your own ability to solve them and make use of out of the boxFez. There has been said a lot, but I'm happy I hardly read any of it before playing this game. In short this multidimensional puzzle-platformer has a lot of great ideas, novel puzzles and some ridiculously stupid ones which are way too convoluted for their own good. Which are which? Well, for most of them it depends on your own ability to solve them and make use of out of the box thinking. But if you want every and all of them solved you'll end up on the internet looking for solutions. Now I don't know if that's a good thing. Maybe it was supposed to bring people together on forums, some sort of indirect multiplayer aspect. Maybe it was just done to troll on players. Probably a bit of both. What I do like -to a certain extend- are the links to the world outside of gaming. Can't say too much about that without spoiling it though.

I love Fez's graphic style. The colors are great, I enjoyed the paper-mario like mixture of 2D and 3D graphics and the special effects are really nice and flashy. At the time I played it there were no bugs whatsoever, so everything went smooth on that part.The world itself has the usual places (sewers, forest, city, graveyard) but I like the way they have been executed. Level design is not ultimate best, but the whole rotating aspect and the multitude of stuff to discover make them very interesting nevertheless.
    The story isn't told completely mute, but it could have been. It's not a very deep one on it's own, but it does make you think multi-dimensional thoughts, so to speak. It airs of wisdomintelligence and simplicity all at the same time (sometimes humorous), and that's a feeling you'll experience a lot during the game.

All in all I enjoyed Fez a lot and I hope some of the novelties will be reused in puzzlers yet to come. Just not too far-fetched please, like the red heart cube ones.
  20. May 7, 2013
    I'm not a big platform gaming fan, and I don't play all that many indie games. But you can tell the guy that made this put a lot of work into it. I saw the documentary on Netflix that featured this game and I cannot say that I was all that interested in it. But I kept reading things about it and it's only $10 on steam so I figured what the hell, why not try it out. I'm glad I did. TheI'm not a big platform gaming fan, and I don't play all that many indie games. But you can tell the guy that made this put a lot of work into it. I saw the documentary on Netflix that featured this game and I cannot say that I was all that interested in it. But I kept reading things about it and it's only $10 on steam so I figured what the hell, why not try it out. I'm glad I did. The game literally put a smile on my face as I realized the developer was intending on marrying old-school graphics with a 3d effect that plays an important role in the game. He pulls it off nicely. You have to change views in order to progress to find the cubes. It's like a 3d puzzle. I played the first level so far and I'm impressed with the attention to detail. From the floating cube helper that tells you everything, to popups that give you hints, to the world map, it's as if the guy thought of everything to make the game more of an enjoyment that a frustration...a casual game is what I wanted and this is what I got. I really like the fact that if I die, I re-spawn right where I last was just before i made the mistake so that I don't find myself repeating things over and over and getting bored. $10 well spent! Expand
  21. Aug 23, 2013
    I don't really know why people liked this game so much, it's boring and always the same thing about 2D games. I just laught at start but then it becomes too bored game.
  22. Sep 23, 2013
    Boring and repetitive. Yawn. And I really hate those lazy 8 bit Minecraft style graphics that's just an excuse for not making better graphics. It's 2013. Not the 80s.
  23. TvH
    Nov 23, 2014
    A beautiful, atmospheric, and thoughtful masterpiece that should be played by anyone with an utter passion for video games, and the history behind them.
  24. Jul 9, 2013
    Fez is an amazing story. The game mechanics are very fun and intuitive, the art is eye meltingly beautiful, and when is comes to a soundtrack, this is one of the best I have ever heard. This game is a Solid 10/10
  25. May 2, 2013
    rooms are so stupid. There's no way of knowing what to do and I won't look for some idiot's help. Game crashed for the first time after about 2 hours of playing. Graphics are so stunning wow. Awesome job. Music is also very good. Overall pretty good game aside from those cons.
  26. Oct 11, 2013
    Fez is all about beautiful bright colored pixel art and great retro-ish music but unfortunately I can't praise the gameplay. Fez is a 2D puzzle platformer with an unique twist that let's you "change your point of view". This means that the world is in 3D but you can look at it from one side at a time. This allows for great puzzle elements but get's stale quite quickly, after all there'sFez is all about beautiful bright colored pixel art and great retro-ish music but unfortunately I can't praise the gameplay. Fez is a 2D puzzle platformer with an unique twist that let's you "change your point of view". This means that the world is in 3D but you can look at it from one side at a time. This allows for great puzzle elements but get's stale quite quickly, after all there's just a little that you can do aside from jumping and there are only few collectables and even those are only for completionists since they offer no new mechanics to the game. For me it feels that all the effort has been in developing this neat trick of 2D/3D but it's not enough to carry the whole game. Expand
  27. Nov 5, 2013
    Phil Fish an absolute hipster tosspot, and Fez is one of the worst games ever made. There is no challenge to be had here. There are no enemies and if you die, you restart immediately where you left off. The graphics look like a poor man's version of the poor man's version of Cave Story, and unlike other indie games, doesn't even have good music.

And don't forget the "FUNNY INTERNET

And don't forget the "FUNNY INTERNET JOKES" because you know, indie games. Fez 2 is cancelled? Good. The world has been spared from more of Phil Fish's awful games.
  28. Jul 20, 2014
    Really innovative platformer. With nice music and colorful graphics. I think it is not as hard as it looks like at the beginning but you must use your brain.
  29. Dec 10, 2013
    Another greatly over rated PC game. I think this game mostly appeals to people who like to search out secrets. I dislike that type of game so I found to be mind numbingly boring.
    For such a simple game it runs pretty slowly on my PC, which runs most modern games very well. Controls with my Xbox wireless controller are a bit off, Fez would sometimes wander off and fall off the screen.
  30. May 1, 2013
    Doesn't work as intended. Crashed on first loadup, noticed my fan was going crazy so I checked my temperatures. CPU was at over 90 C. This game is so ill-optimized it will try to kill your computer.
    If you have any intention of playing this and don't live in antartica, play the waiting game a bit more first
  31. Jun 21, 2013
    I have to give this game credit for it's super unique design and unique story. Also, the gameplay is fun and there are some clever puzzles. There's a lot to be discovered in Fez and for the price it's well worth a purchase.
  32. May 7, 2013
    Decent game in spite of some minor glitches and crashing until updated, since update 1.03 i have not had any more problems with it crashing. The levels do tend to get repetitive and as far as where to go, it seems to be just guessing,and having to do alot of backtracking and redoing levels,the 3-d map is more confusing than anything. But in spite of the minor annoyances it is an enjoyableDecent game in spite of some minor glitches and crashing until updated, since update 1.03 i have not had any more problems with it crashing. The levels do tend to get repetitive and as far as where to go, it seems to be just guessing,and having to do alot of backtracking and redoing levels,the 3-d map is more confusing than anything. But in spite of the minor annoyances it is an enjoyable game with some interesting puzzles and levels.
    As far as the review i read complaining about needing a 'discreet graphics card".and it not being made apparent. I have to ask. What game doesn't need a half decent video card nowadays? I would venture to guess the vast majority do, and if you bothered to look at the system requirements for the game it clearly states the minimum graphics card,as being nvidia 8600gt or radeon 6450 .so this was made more than apparent to anyone that bothered to look it up.
  33. Apr 9, 2014
    Very bad performance issues, bland gameplay and overly repetitive. Developer is one of the biggest cry babies to ever set foot in the gaming industry. Keep your Fez 2, nobody wants it.
  34. May 4, 2013
    This is way better than the one on console (I own both), and I really didn't have any complaints at all. I'm not sure why people are even giving this game negative scores, If you actually read their reviews it sounds like they're joking about it.
  35. Jul 20, 2013
    The negative reviews are far from right. This game was great on Xbox, and it is better to see an indie game like this come to its true home: PC. The graphics are cute and the retro setting fits accordingly. The actual game mechanics are simplistic and it's fun to see what puzzles you can accomplish using them. The music is calming and beautiful. I am able to run this game with no lag orThe negative reviews are far from right. This game was great on Xbox, and it is better to see an indie game like this come to its true home: PC. The graphics are cute and the retro setting fits accordingly. The actual game mechanics are simplistic and it's fun to see what puzzles you can accomplish using them. The music is calming and beautiful. I am able to run this game with no lag or bugs, so I can say for sure that it runs PRETTY well. There is a lot of indie games out there, and few can accomplish gaining the beauty games like Fez have. Expand
  36. Aug 25, 2014
    Style over substance. The game combines a retro style with some beautiful scenes to create a lovely visual experience. The music - probably the best feature of the game - accentuates this, combining retro video game music with warm, ambient synths. The overall aesthetic affect is powerful. Unfortunately, this is where the clear creative vision ends. The story starts strongly enough, andStyle over substance. The game combines a retro style with some beautiful scenes to create a lovely visual experience. The music - probably the best feature of the game - accentuates this, combining retro video game music with warm, ambient synths. The overall aesthetic affect is powerful. Unfortunately, this is where the clear creative vision ends. The story starts strongly enough, and there is some witty and quirky dialogue, but this quickly fades away into nothing. The only reason for this seems to be laziness on the part of the developers - the game is clearly crying out for a good story, and there is abundant opportunity for populating the world with interesting characters with interesting dialogue, but there is a total absence of these things. Lastly, but most importantly, the gameplay. This is the least focused aspect of all. The central mechanic to the game involves rotating the 2D word by 90 degrees to see it from different angles. It is clever and original, and has huge potential for some clever puzzles and gameplay elements. Regrettably, this potential is completely unattained, and asides from a couple of simple uses of the mechanic which you quickly get used to, it is really just used as a stylistic element rather than an integral part of the gameplay, so that the game really just becomes a very bland platformer. It seems that the developers were either too incapable or lazy to turn the mechanic into an actual game, or else they simply failed to recognise its potential and focus on it. Instead, rather bizarrely, the gameplay slowly descends into obscure puzzles involving code breaking or noticing obscure parts of the environment. None of these puzzles are well-designed or enjoyable, and a number of them are downright bad. All in all, I did initially enjoy playing this game purely as an aesthetic experience, rather like the experience of peacefully observing a painting, so I can't give it a very low score, and you should give it a try if you are into that kind of thing. However, once you have had enough of the sensual experience, stop playing, as its artistic merits are woefully unmatched by its merits as a game. For this reason I can't give it a high score either. A score of 5 therefore seems appropriate. Expand
  37. Jul 22, 2013
    While it is a perfectly passable platform puzzle game it has none of the *WOW* factor that would justify it's 10/10 reviews. It's an above average game, but it doesn''t do anything to make you fall in love with it or remember it for years to come, like say Portal.
  38. May 1, 2013
    This game is excellent. You've probably read all about it and are here to cry about a comment that he made about your videogames. The creative man behind it can talk a bit more than he should but honestly most of the comments I read on the internet are 1000x more reprehensible than saying Japanese video games suck. I don't understand how someone can make a sidescrolling puzzle masterpieceThis game is excellent. You've probably read all about it and are here to cry about a comment that he made about your videogames. The creative man behind it can talk a bit more than he should but honestly most of the comments I read on the internet are 1000x more reprehensible than saying Japanese video games suck. I don't understand how someone can make a sidescrolling puzzle masterpiece and be criticized by putting his foot in his mouth. I mean gamers are some of the worst people in the world and they're worried about some guy saying one or two silly things.

The game is not a typical side scroller. I guess the best way to describe it would be a open world puzzle game. It's amazing how complete it all feels though. I've played it on the Xbox and on Steam with no problems so far (like that save glitch). The world feels so alive and vibrant. Every single component of this game has a purpose or adds to the experience. It has its own language and its own vibe. I'm sure everyone is used to ignoring the user score on Metacritic but here it is especially important. This game is amazing.
  39. May 19, 2013
    Not a bad game, but not amazing as well.
    This is a puzzle platforming game, with a calming ambiance. The colorful graphics, and the soothing music really comes together to create a relaxing atmosphere. However, this game goes overboard on that aspect, as I found myself quite bored at times. The character moves really slow, and there's nothing really engaging.
    The visuals are quite
    Not a bad game, but not amazing as well.
    The visuals are quite beautiful at first, but then you come to realize that every "new" environment, is just the same old graphics, but put through some filter.
    Don't get me wrong, I did have fun playing this game, but I was never truly excited to play this game, like I never actually felt a strong urge to load this game up and find the next puzzle piece. I guess I was always hoping for some kind of change to blow me away and to captivate me, but unfortunately FEZ remains about the same all throughout the game.
  40. Oct 19, 2013
    What is up with the critic love-fest going on here? Admittedly I did feel all warm and fuzzy for the first hour of playing this game and I wanted to tell my friends about it. However, after that first hour I realized that this game is pretty much just.... blaaah. My reasons are varied, but I will just say this: "Fez" gets very boring, very fast. It absolutely does not deserve the hype itWhat is up with the critic love-fest going on here? Admittedly I did feel all warm and fuzzy for the first hour of playing this game and I wanted to tell my friends about it. However, after that first hour I realized that this game is pretty much just.... blaaah. My reasons are varied, but I will just say this: "Fez" gets very boring, very fast. It absolutely does not deserve the hype it is getting. It is aesthetically pleasing in some respects, but that is all. Expand
  41. Jan 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This negative response, by an army of internet **** to this game just because the maker of the game cracked under the pressure of an army of internet **** is... sad, to say the least. This game is a stroke of genius, and while it certainly has its flaws ( a lot of the puzzles just appear recycled in the later stages) these are few and VERY far between. Lets start with the gameplay; i have heard a lot of people on the steam reviews criticise this game for being overly simply... then you look at their playtime; 20 minutes sometimes... wow. This game, while it looks it at first, is not a game to be taken lightly. what appears to be a small, relatively linear cube filled world turns into a sprawling universe, complete with intricate level design, sound design and a seemingly endless list of puzzles... for Christs sake, this guy made a entire language, code and timeline simply for one game. The non-existence of a death penalty perfectly suits the pace of the game, as does the lack of any enemies. This game is one to be played in many many short sessions.
    Moving on, graphics and aesthetic;...SPOT ON, PHIL! from the unique design of every block to a quick brown fox jumping over the lazy dog, and then to the character Gomez (the fez bearer) everything is fantastic just to stare at, to say nothing of interacting with it.
    all in all, this game has an overwhelming amount of content that is well worth the five year wait.
    If i was allowed, i would give this an 11
  42. May 6, 2013
    Average game over-hyped by the media/journalism sphere.
    2D/3D manipulation and twist are interesting but that's it more or less.

Incentive to go forward in this slow-paced game is lacking.

Possibility of loosing interest very likely.
  43. Jul 11, 2013
    An interesting concept of mixing 2D and 3D graphics and that's where it all ends... It has huge technical issues on some rigs, but this is by far not its biggest problem: it is mind-numbingly boring! Only for the most persevering aficionados of Rubik's cubes.
  44. Jun 2, 2013
    Fez has some problems, but it is worth playing. The music and atmosphere are great, and many of the puzzles are a lot of fun to solve. But ultimately, it's the puzzle design that left me with the feeling that the game comes up short. While the beginning of the game has a lot of great puzzles, the later game is filled with challenges that are either frustrating or downright impenetrable. IFez has some problems, but it is worth playing. The music and atmosphere are great, and many of the puzzles are a lot of fun to solve. But ultimately, it's the puzzle design that left me with the feeling that the game comes up short. While the beginning of the game has a lot of great puzzles, the later game is filled with challenges that are either frustrating or downright impenetrable. I solved some of them without really knowing why, while others required a lot of tedium. Then there are those that require you to crack codes. Since they all had basically the same solution once you cracked the codes (or looked them up online), this came off to me as a total cop-out.

In short, Fez is well worth your time, but trying to solve the later puzzles requires so much drudgery that you'll put the game down before you ever get to all of them.
  45. Jun 13, 2013
    Game was fun and I enjoyed playing it. wasn't the best ever but atleast for the price I enjoyed myself and seen a small challange other then that its one of those games you have to decide for yourself to play or not.
  46. Sep 25, 2013
    Fez is not original, no, it borrows a lot from other games, but what it does it does right. I enjoyed my time exploring all the little worlds, jumping from platform to platform and turning the world around me to solve it's often clever puzzles.

I did however find that not a lot is explained. After the intro you're basically thrown into this world and where you go from there you have to find out for yourself. Adds to the mystery of exploration, sure, but a bit more guidance from time to time would have been nice. This especially goes for a lot of the secrets and hidden puzzles. To find and/or solve most of these you have to learn and understand the in-game language. Nowhere in the game is this clearly explained, and If i hadn't come across it in a guide i was looking at i never would have known. Cool that you want to give a game it's own puzzling language that adds to the gameplay, but let the player know about it because i reckon a lot of gamers have looked past it and that is a shame for the extra amount of gameplay it offers.
  47. Nov 19, 2013
    Terrible game. The story is obvious and already seen so many times, this game just try to be original in all the way that he can, but always fails.

Seriously, this whole thing about mixing 3D and 2D is too overused. And the gameplay sistem is all messed up, seems like it want the player to go mad. Is impossible to play. I give it credits, the intro was very nice, probably the only

I give it credits, the intro was very nice, probably the only part of the game that wasn't frustrating, and the ambience and animations are really well made. They should have spend all this time thinking about the story and not those little things.

A game that I don't suggest to play. Never-ever.
  48. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed playing this game. It gets great marks for the art, it was so well done and crisp, quite gorgeous, even the soundtrack and music contributed. Of course the rotating mechanic was great fun and I felt that it never grew tiresome. The rest, however... was somewhat disappointing, here are my two major gripes:

1) Puzzles I'm not sure if the developer intended this but I gave up and simply searched the internet for several puzzles. I would challenge a majority of players to not do the same. It feels unfair to knock this game for that, it's not the designer's fault, I wouldn't ask him to dumb his creation down. But the puzzles aren't for everyone and some were so obscure that when I searched for the answer I didn't say, "duh, I should've thought've that!"

2) The ending was very unsatisfying. The dialogue just simply stops, you're told in the beginning to collect the cubes and are given a purpose. At the end you're left with what seems to be abstract geometry. It's left up to me to decide how to interpret it, and I think my efforts in game were pointless and unrewarding. I could've stopped at any point I got bored and fared no worse.

In the end, I'm glad I played it, but wished I could've prefaced my experience with what I should expect. I enjoyed Paper Mario so there's that.
  49. Mar 24, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece of indie development. Breathtaking locations, challenging puzzles, and head-scratching secrets make this game one of a kind. FEZ manages to be tough and challenging without every becoming frustrating. Anyone who gave this a bad rating because it crashed on their computer really have no respect for indies or indie developers.
  50. Apr 30, 2014
    A lot of people say they had problems running the game. It ran just fine on my old Core 2 Duo build with a cheapo GeForce 210 card. Maybe I just got lucky.

Some of the other common criticisms: -The graphics weren't groundbreaking, or even original, just retro-platformer style with a 3D twist tossed in. I thought it was aesthetically pleasing enough, and the different areas had varied

Some of the other common criticisms:
    I thought it was aesthetically pleasing enough, and the different areas had varied looks and feels to them, so I didn't think it was monotonous. Awe-inducing? No. Original? Not particularly. It may not be groundbreaking but I didn't think it was boring.

-Navigation requires a lot of back-tracking.
    Yeah, it does at times. Once you learn a section you can get through fast enough though, and there are some warp gates that let you jump past a few otherwise long journeys. Annoying at times, but not unbearable.

-You can't die, ergo there's no challenge.
    I was okay with that. I enjoyed it more for the puzzles, and honestly if I had to go back to the bottom of the screen every time I fell off a ledge it would be a lot more frustrating than fun.

-The puzzles were too easy, ergo there's no challenge.
    Maybe I'm just stupider than the other people who played this game, but I thought the puzzles were challenging enough to be interesting but not so abstract that I wanted to pull my hair out. They at least took some time and thought to figure out. I enjoyed working out the cryptograms for the alphabet and numbers, then going back to solve the puzzles that required the ability to read, and I didn't mind the fact that some of the puzzles could only be solved during the second play through.

My final thoughts: It was pretty fun. It isn't stressful so you can play casually. You have to play through twice to solve all the puzzles, but the second time around the puzzles you solved stay solved so it's not too painful. It held my interest long enough that I didn't mind. I think the people who gave bad reviews just have really high expectations.
  51. Jul 18, 2013
    This was one of my last games to get sucked in by the hype train. Everyone called it ground breaking, and once I started playing realized my mistake. I hope you like not knowing what the you are doing. BUT LOOK THE WALLS TURN
  52. Dec 5, 2013
    The Best Indie Puzzle Platform Videogame of last years. The soundtrack, the gameplay, the story, the pixel graphic, the landscapes are ULTRA BEAUTIFUL For the first minute i don't enjoy very much with this game but after playing some hours this game become your best choice for having some fun and sincerely i don't like very much this indie puzzle platform videogames (like Mark of theThe Best Indie Puzzle Platform Videogame of last years. The soundtrack, the gameplay, the story, the pixel graphic, the landscapes are ULTRA BEAUTIFUL For the first minute i don't enjoy very much with this game but after playing some hours this game become your best choice for having some fun and sincerely i don't like very much this indie puzzle platform videogames (like Mark of the Ninja) but this is very beautiful, it's like Super Mario for gameboy but the 10.0 upgrade version for the amount of innovations. Expand
  53. Oct 4, 2013
    First of all I need to specify I had this game on a Humble Bundle deal, and by this time the bugs and glitches some have mentioned were obviously fixed as I didn't encounter any of them. The graphics are pixelated yes, but they are rich, colorful and there are plenty of little details in the fauna that makes things alive compared to most games that feel so sterile and boring after a fewFirst of all I need to specify I had this game on a Humble Bundle deal, and by this time the bugs and glitches some have mentioned were obviously fixed as I didn't encounter any of them. The graphics are pixelated yes, but they are rich, colorful and there are plenty of little details in the fauna that makes things alive compared to most games that feel so sterile and boring after a few minutes. This is not the case with FEZ; it's a game that was made with passion as a huge amount of details as been put in the game, which makes me wonder the agenda of those that gave the game a score below 6. I play this game on a PS2 gamepad using an adapter (not the most conventional way to play a pc game), nevertheless, I'd never had so much ease to input the controls and to make everything work so nicely on the first try; it's intuitive and enjoyable to rotate the map using the L1-L2 buttons although most people using a keyboard might have a harder time adjusting the controls to their taste. The game being pretty and having nice controls is sure nice but it wouldn't go anywhere near stardom classic without a master soundtrack, which happen to be the case here. The music is not the most melodic you'll ever hear; but it fits the game perfectly which make the whole package feels like symbiosis. I've seen a crapload of 2d games in the past few years that all look the same, FEZ is different; it feels unique, looks unique and is a memorable experience and for that it deserves to be reckon. Most of the reason you'll see bashing around this gem seem to be about the main developer being rude, whose seem to put too much love into his game and not enough for his community which make some people go mad about him and his creation. We seem to forget that the only thing we should expect from a developer is the game, nothing else. FEZ stands to me as one of the best 2d platformer on the pc, alongside Cave Story. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Expand
  54. May 1, 2013
    This is an EXCELLENT game. It is intelligent. It has secrets and puzzles that take the game play way beyond the 'retro platformer" that I expected. It plays smooth and rewards exploration. I get the same rewarding enjoyment out of this game as I did when I played Portal, Portal 2 or Antichamber or the old-school Zork games. You feel accomplishment when a puzzle is solved or a secret isThis is an EXCELLENT game. It is intelligent. It has secrets and puzzles that take the game play way beyond the 'retro platformer" that I expected. It plays smooth and rewards exploration. I get the same rewarding enjoyment out of this game as I did when I played Portal, Portal 2 or Antichamber or the old-school Zork games. You feel accomplishment when a puzzle is solved or a secret is found. This is a game that makes you say, "Jeez, that's brilliant." To the people saying that it does not run well on their system, IT IS YOUR SYSTEM, NOT THE GAME. I am playing this on a 3 year old ASUS G74 laptop with a 24 inch external 1980 x 1200 monitor, much more then what the computer is designed for and it runs without any issues what-so-ever.

It game was $10 very well spent! I do suggest using a game pad when playing it as the game is designed to be played that way.

If you love ANY of the games I mentioned above, give this awesome game a try.
  55. Nov 30, 2013
    I am in utter shock as too why players don't like this game. "It's great!!"

I am in utter shock as too why players don't like this game. "It's great!!"

Everything about this games save for some aspects of the graphics is absolutely perfect. The controls the audio, the gameplay is all top notch and the devs put a lot of effort into what I thought might be an okay game, but boy was I surprised at the wonderment that this game yields to players. This is better than Mario or most other platy's hands down....due in no small part to the depth of the dimensions and what they add. The characters are charming and the concept is brilliant.

Kudos to the devs and hats off to you for this lil gem...hope we see more of these type of games in the future.
  56. Aug 9, 2013
    The game is medium quality and the developer is a complete idiot so bye Therefore is there are so many bugs that gonna end in a crash that is all
  57. May 3, 2013
    This game is one of the best indie released to this date. Don't listen to bad reviews because as you'll see they're only based on judgement about it's genius maker Phil Fish. And like all geniuses, it doesn't fit in a box that stupid people feel confortable with. But the game is un-criticable it's an innovative, beautifully designed and directed exploration game with a unique feel craftedThis game is one of the best indie released to this date. Don't listen to bad reviews because as you'll see they're only based on judgement about it's genius maker Phil Fish. And like all geniuses, it doesn't fit in a box that stupid people feel confortable with. But the game is un-criticable it's an innovative, beautifully designed and directed exploration game with a unique feel crafted from spot-on soundtrack and charming universe. Fùùù the haters Expand
  58. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. its always see a game with a different idea than just a shooter and it's really a platformer the a concept amazing visuals are breathtaking. I think the game plays really solid and as experience no other game can copy Expand
  59. May 7, 2013
    at first, before they updated this game, it wouldn't run. once this issue was fixed, i found myself drawn into this universe of 2d and 3d. the graphics are beautiful and the environments make this game beautiful. i told myself i would play 20 minutes of it then stop, then 2 hours passed and i realized that i had gotten pulled in. this game is almost perfect. the only thing i would changeat first, before they updated this game, it wouldn't run. once this issue was fixed, i found myself drawn into this universe of 2d and 3d. the graphics are beautiful and the environments make this game beautiful. i told myself i would play 20 minutes of it then stop, then 2 hours passed and i realized that i had gotten pulled in. this game is almost perfect. the only thing i would change is the addition of fall damage, which sometimes makes a small fall kill you. Expand
  60. Jul 12, 2013
    Fez is just another one of the many "retro-style" indie games that uses it's graphics as an excuse to make the game seem more back-to-basics and stylized. It's already late to the hype, not to mention the style itself doesn't match with true retro platformers. The puzzles are boring and not challenging, the music is flat (actually it's "ambient" *wink* *wink*), and the developer himself isFez is just another one of the many "retro-style" indie games that uses it's graphics as an excuse to make the game seem more back-to-basics and stylized. It's already late to the hype, not to mention the style itself doesn't match with true retro platformers. The puzzles are boring and not challenging, the music is flat (actually it's "ambient" *wink* *wink*), and the developer himself is not worthy of praise. I'll give it a 3 because of the colors and the fact that this took five years to develop. Expand
  61. May 1, 2013
    This brought a new 3D world While staying in a 2D world A Very fun puzzle games for a low price and hours of Puzzles. If your looking for some puzzle fun this game is for you the worlds are very nicely designed.
  62. May 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm used to being long-winded about games, but this one left me speechless. Fez is the result of what felt like an eternity of work (though, admittedly, it was all programmed by one guy, whose story is told in part of the excellent documentary film, Indie Game: The Movie), and man, oh man, was it worth the wait! The audiovisual landscape in Fez is lush and beautiful; no two levels look or sound the same, and the sound and appearance of each world are beguilingly, inextricably linked. Many times, I found myself simply marveling at each new world as it came into focus. Fez is lax on cogent narrative structure, and many people will likely be turned off by the fact that it's essentially one long fetch-quest. Those people should safely be ignored. Fez will challenge your logical mind like no Zelda block-pushing puzzle ever has. It pushes you by presenting seemingly impossible tasks that have incredibly simple solutions. It never relies on your platforming ability alone (which is particularly nice because the controls are a little slippery sometimes), but rather asks you to figure out the simplest way to overcome an obstacle. I was often stuck for a solution to something for hours at a time before I would shift my perspective (quite literally) and finally have something click. Fez has themes akin to (and a denouement seemingly deliberately reminiscent of) 2001: A Space Odyssey and is as absorbing and worthy of a note-taking friend as Myst was all those years ago. Mysticism in games (no pun intended) has not lost its luster. Fez really made me think of self-determinism and internal structure in a whole new light; and yes, it's just as esoteric as it sounds, but it's not without its charm, either. My one and only true caveat for this game is a warning; purists beware, you're going to search online sometimes. I completed this game in its entirety in about fifteen hours, and I'd like to think I did an admirable job at puzzle solving for the most part. If you keep your eyes open and sharp, you'll find hints that will help you greatly. Let me say that again; greatly. All the same, some of these puzzles are so esoteric, you have to be a pretty-near obsessive person to hunt down some solutions. One of my favorites was a puzzle featuring two intermittently flashing lights. One Internet search later, I learned that I had to convert those lights into binary ones and zeros. Then, I had to change those digits to ASCII programming script. Yeesh! Other than that little adventure, the puzzles are head-scratchers without being so overwhelming. I highly recommend this game to anyone who's willing to feel a little stupid and awed at its awesome complexity. Expand
  63. Oct 17, 2013
    People maybe are a bit confused. Be an original game doesn't mean necessary to be a good game. I don't like the graphic, this retro style is only an excuse for lazy indie developers to create cheap graphic. The concept is original but puzzles become very boring after a while. I have no idea how some people define this a Masterpice.. Tetris was a masterpiece, not this retro-mambo-jumbo game.
  64. Jul 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is really cool especial the game play really fluid actually a awesome history graphic for a indi game actually awesome but the change of view principle was really estrange after you manners it Expand
  65. Aug 13, 2013
    I can't do this game quite the justice it deserves. It is crescent fresh, absolutely gorgeous and charming! I won't spoil the mechanics but they will twist your mind in unheard-of ways. The story and world interaction made me all fuzzy inside. The sound deserves a great system cranked way way up. I wish all games sounded this good. Not only the sound effects but the music, so odd andI can't do this game quite the justice it deserves. It is crescent fresh, absolutely gorgeous and charming! I won't spoil the mechanics but they will twist your mind in unheard-of ways. The story and world interaction made me all fuzzy inside. The sound deserves a great system cranked way way up. I wish all games sounded this good. Not only the sound effects but the music, so odd and otherworldly, just divine. Oh and talk about tough puzzles. There are plenty.

The only disappointment was after about 70% the way through it just got repetitive. I never actually finished it but it's one of those games where when you come back after a hiatus, there's a metric ton of enjoyment awaiting you.

One hint. Don't jump ahead, play it through in its proper sequence. (which is tough to figure out at first) It's much much more satisfying.

8/10 but gave it a 9 for bravery, charm and sheer imagination.
  66. Oct 26, 2013
    I would first like to say that this is a review of the game, not the developer.

In a nutshell, FEZ is an interesting puzzle/platformer with a twist, but there's more to it than that. FEZ paints a pixelated picture of an innocent gaming land, a place where no harm can come. The only threat is that of falling; there are no aliens to shoot, bad guys to kill, no enemies of any kind. The
    I would first like to say that this is a review of the game, not the developer.

The art in this game definitely gets a 10/10 from me, as well as the soundtrack. The only reason I don't give this game a perfect score is because of the slightly boring gameplay. Yes I said it. As I described above, it's beautiful. Amazing. With so many secrets, easter-eggs, and places to go this game should offer many hours of exploring. I guess I just haven't found the interest in doing so.
  67. Mar 22, 2014
    I really enjoyed exploring this game. The mix of 2D/3D was a really nice concept. The only downside is that it is pretty easy. There are no enemies, and if you fall you respawn immediately with no consequences. Jumping to your death to get a hard to reach cube is a perfectly viable option.
    Most of the puzzles to beat the game are pretty easy, but then there are some puzzles that are pretty much impossible. After significant effort I looked some up online to see that I never would have known the solution.
    Overall I highly recommend this game for the neat exploration mechanics, but if you are a super hardcore gamer you might get bored pretty quick.
  68. Dec 6, 2013
    Sometimes it's very hard, yes... but the atmosphere and the 8-bit graphics are fantastic! il liked it very much! i know that this review is useless but i'm useless too so i wrote it. daah! just kidding! i'm a spaceship!
  69. Jan 5, 2014
    FEZ is one of the best indie games of all times, from the graphics to the mechanics, characters, script and specially the music (which is now a part of my daily commute routine)... each one of its details has been carefully developed, creating a fun and absolutely enjoyable game that will give you hours of entertainment.

Most of the game mechanics are very intuitive, and the 2D/3D logic

Most of the game mechanics are very intuitive, and the 2D/3D logic it's absolutely beautiful and nostalgic. The only downside is that it could be pretty hard to decipher some puzzles: not so easy to understand the meaning of the glyphs, but that's just a part of the game and you can even play it all without solving those puzzles (of course, you can easily find some cheat sheets to help a little bit).

I'd love to play a FEZ 2
  70. May 1, 2013
    Phil Fish, this review is a personal congratulation on your masterpiece. I know it is already 2 years since its release but only know I could fully comprehend the best inner part of the game. The system of turning the world from 2D to 3D is outstanding, graphics are brilliant, gameplay is marvelous and with that audio surroundings are perfectly relaxing. For such a price (which I considerPhil Fish, this review is a personal congratulation on your masterpiece. I know it is already 2 years since its release but only know I could fully comprehend the best inner part of the game. The system of turning the world from 2D to 3D is outstanding, graphics are brilliant, gameplay is marvelous and with that audio surroundings are perfectly relaxing. For such a price (which I consider nothing to give 2 guys who have been working their ass off to get this tremendous game) it is not only one of the best Indie games, but as well one of the best games created. Puzzles are interesting, storyline is fascinating and dialogues are funny! Hope you will read this and smile! Thank you again for the experience I have lived through because of you! 10/10, no questions Expand
  71. May 1, 2013
    Amazing game. PC gamers who love platform games will love this game. When I first started playing I feel in love with the world. It's an amazing puzzle game and it does not cost that much at all. GET IT.
  72. May 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. FEZ is not what I expected it to be. FEZ is more of an adventure game than it is a puzzle game. Don't get me wrong, the game has a lot of very interesting puzzles, but completing those puzzles is not enough to finish the game (The game doesn't end after 32 cubes, as you might think!). The game expects you to see a drawing of a fox jumping over something next to a bunch of symbols and understand it refers to the English alphabet (The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog). And since I'm not a native speaker, there was no way I would figure that out by myself. The twisting mechanic is no more than a way to travel around, and is used in some of the puzzles, but those aren't enough. If you're into adventure games, this is a game for you just keep in mind you'll do a lot of Internet research if you REALLY want to finish the game. Expand
  73. Jul 24, 2013
    This is a typical example for bad indie retro-graphic games.
    It imitates the graphics from the past, but it has no deep at all. You respwan immeadantly at the
    spot where you failed. Fine graphics dont polish that. What a fake game.
  74. Aug 7, 2013
    2 minutes in game and you understand that game starts ideally. You can't believe in it and... make first steps, listen first music. After you understand that is why games often have name Art. All game emotional kick. And this kick like knockout. Fast and accurate.
    It's a story and emotions, very private and very personally. I always feel myself like a thief who sneaking in another life and watching by her from shelter. Surprised by her. Believes in her and is jealous of her. Incredible world. Incredible music. And incredible game.
  75. Oct 1, 2013
    This game is decent, but not fun to play after about 5 minutes or so. The dimensional switching idea is nice, but that alone fails to make the game worthy of one's time.
  76. Oct 16, 2013
    This game isn't necessarily innovating much, but the way it utilizes the mechanics and clever puzzles that require more than just in-game tools makes it quite unique. The game has quite a lot of bugs though, and while most aren't game-breaking, it does kind of remove the player from the experience.
  77. Sep 8, 2013
    Classic, retro story and art style with a cool new concept. 8 points for originality and putting all the pieces together in a way that makes it a fun, challenging game. Only issue I see, is that it might be a bit repetitive, just take breaks and come back to the game another time, if you get bored, or can't figure something out. Don't look up guides, that's just spoiling the puzzle aspectClassic, retro story and art style with a cool new concept. 8 points for originality and putting all the pieces together in a way that makes it a fun, challenging game. Only issue I see, is that it might be a bit repetitive, just take breaks and come back to the game another time, if you get bored, or can't figure something out. Don't look up guides, that's just spoiling the puzzle aspect of the game. Overall, a definite purchase for indie game fans. Expand
  78. Sep 11, 2013
    That is for screwing with PC gamers, and then crying that you wont make Fez 2 I like the game i have nothing against it, but the developer messed with the pc gamers
  79. Sep 12, 2013
    Taking a new spin on 2D platforming, indie game developer Phil Fish has woven a world that is so stunningly simple yet sublime to explore. The 3D rotation mechanic, the core feature of the game, seems straightforward at first but continues to dazzle and amaze at the bizarre affects it can achieve on a fundamentally 2D landscape. Unfortunately, with no other major game mechanics this canTaking a new spin on 2D platforming, indie game developer Phil Fish has woven a world that is so stunningly simple yet sublime to explore. The 3D rotation mechanic, the core feature of the game, seems straightforward at first but continues to dazzle and amaze at the bizarre affects it can achieve on a fundamentally 2D landscape. Unfortunately, with no other major game mechanics this can get a little old a little quickly, but is largely salvaged by the game's quirky zone-to-zone designs accompanied by a phenomenal chiptune reminiscent soundtrack by Disasterpeace.

The only real complain I can register towards the game is how the platforming and puzzles seem to clash. Much of the early game consists of traveling through the overworld. Once one had that complete, they would eventually need to decode hieroglyphics in order to solve a jumble of sometimes maddeningly obtuse puzzles (one optional puzzle in the game has yet to be fully solved by anybody in the entire world). Because of this many platformers might be stymied by a sudden onslaught of puzzles in late game, where puzzle seekers may be exhausted by the continual platforming to get places.

Nevertheless, this unusual combination of gameplay along with the novel mechanic of a 2D world manipulated by a third dimension can leave for a very unique experience. A definite triumph in the indie industry, Fez shows us how simple yet enjoyable game mechanics can be enough to craft a memorable gaming experience.
  80. Oct 21, 2013
    A nostalgic re-imagining of what 8bit gaming felt like modernized for the Internet age. The hey day of 8bit gaming was decorated with Nintendo titles that hinted at vast expansive worlds realized through simplistic subtle details. Prior to universal access to information school yards collective minds elaborated these subtle details into pervasive and rich worlds filled with rumour andA nostalgic re-imagining of what 8bit gaming felt like modernized for the Internet age. The hey day of 8bit gaming was decorated with Nintendo titles that hinted at vast expansive worlds realized through simplistic subtle details. Prior to universal access to information school yards collective minds elaborated these subtle details into pervasive and rich worlds filled with rumour and myths. Fez re-imagines a universe knowingly inside a Computer where the characters are hapless victims shackled to their limited perspective.

Reality is constantly exposed as a layered onion with the protagonist Gomez bridging the gaps to not only additional dimensions but genuinely new perspectives as the rich world is genuinely realized and delivers in a way the classic 8bit universes never did. The puzzles in the game are deliberately challenging, including entire encoded languages, fourth dimensional treasure maps and secrets in the soundtrack wave forms. Only the collective effort of the Internet could the deceptively rich world of Fez be unraveled.

Many games have resurrected the game play of the 8bit era, but this is perhaps the first to invoke the same school yard myth making of the 8bit era. The Internet is rife with speculation of meaning found in its subtle clues. The most challenging of optional puzzles cannot be solved without years of collective effort.

One of a kind.
  81. Mar 17, 2014
    An artistic masterpiece a must for any player who likes exploration made out of pixels with vivid colors and has an amazing sound track played by Disasterpeace make this game an incredible package to buy for only 9.99$.
  82. May 8, 2013
    Not a single technical problem encountered. Enjoyed the game from start to finish.

This game reminded me some golden memories from the past and yet brought enough new to me. Unique mechanic idea that doesn't get boring as the levels evolve and improve from time to time. Immersive and beautifully crafted world to explore, interesting puzzles and secrets to dis-cover. With enough fun,

Unique mechanic idea that doesn't get boring as the levels evolve and improve from time to time. Immersive and beautifully crafted world to explore, interesting puzzles and secrets to dis-cover. With enough fun, mystery and replayability, the game manages to live up to all the 'noise' around it that we've been hearing for five years.

Congrats Polytron.
  83. Oct 23, 2013
    This game is great if you know what you're getting into. I used to spend some time playing Sword and Sworcery with my headphones on between the hours of 12 a.m. and 3 a.m., and I loved it. Fez is for those who want a similar experience. It's not strenuous, it isn't meant to get your adrenaline flowing, its just a puzzle game, with one very simply yet creative and complex mechanic. TheThis game is great if you know what you're getting into. I used to spend some time playing Sword and Sworcery with my headphones on between the hours of 12 a.m. and 3 a.m., and I loved it. Fez is for those who want a similar experience. It's not strenuous, it isn't meant to get your adrenaline flowing, its just a puzzle game, with one very simply yet creative and complex mechanic. The simplicity of the game combined with the art design and a rather relaxing soundtrack put it at the top of my list.

Now that being said, another one of my favorite concepts within the game can also be the most frustrating. The secrets within Fez require a lot of tedious work, and on occasion you will have to cheat or simply discover some secrets on accident. It took me an age and a half to realize how to translate the language created by Polytron. And some rooms that contain secrets I've spent what has felt like ages walking around in, only for them to still remain mysteries for me today.

The other issue I have with the game is that the PC version is a somewhat lazy port. On rare occasion you will find the game referring to Xbox controls. I myself also have a serious issue with playing the game in fullscreen on higher resolutions, resulting in bad flicker, screen tears and lines across the monitor (however this seems to be a personal build issue, as I don't see it reported very often).

Overall I gave this game an 8/10. It really is a lovely experience for those who are looking for just that. You are never punished for making mistakes, you just try your hand at the puzzles until they are solved. I do wish there would be a few minor fixes for the game, but I honestly do believe that this was a success by Polytron, and I do hope to see more from them in the future.
  84. May 11, 2013
    Honestly, 90? this game is to oatmeal for me bland and average, mix in some better visuals and easier to understand controls with co-op this could be better!
  85. Jun 1, 2013
    I was waiting for this one for about 2 years since it has ralsed on XBOX. This game has awesome art, soundtrack and story. I don't really think that there's any bad aspect. And yes, it uses a lot of memory and CPU but it's not that bad at all.
  86. Jun 9, 2013
    This is probably the most aesthetically pleasing platformer of all time. The pixel art paired with the awesome soundtrack create a great gaming experience. This game was well worth the wait.
  87. Aug 2, 2013
    Extremely boring and nothing happens at all times. Also extremely easy. I'm glad I didn't buy this and only played it from a friend's steam account. This is not a game for a mind that wants challenges, but rather for someone that has enough challenges in real life and only wants a method to unwind. Why does it cost more than 50 cents?
  88. Aug 11, 2013
    The game runs and the visuals are not bad(+2).

The game is basically paper-mario but with no production value or story. Game Features: Wander around aimlessly for 30 mins, Look at decent visuals, Remember paper-mario.

Most people will buy the game on sale for their dusty indie collection and never play it.
  89. Feb 10, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece, im not usually into these kinda 8 bit looking games but this one made me feel like a kid again was some trippy effects almost old school Atari like, really enjoyed this game.
  90. Oct 19, 2013
    FEZ is a very beautiful game and has many creative features. The one problem with the game is that in the beginning, it is very confusing to get the hang of the controls when adjusting perspective. FEZ also has a large number of glitches but do not affect the gameplay to heavily.
  91. Feb 21, 2014
    This game is so creative, a masterpiece, isn't intended to have beautiful graphics, but it's the mostly pure art.

These Fez puzzles are absolutely great and fun to solve, so many hidden places, hidden stuff, one of the best games that I played in 2013/14.
  92. Mar 20, 2014
    Smart game with some moments of pure genius. The perfect hybrid between a platform and a puzzle game, with the novelty of a "compressed 3D" world. Only for those who are searching for something to challenge the brain rather than the fingers.
  93. Jun 2, 2014
    A masterpiece. A magic world, an amazing and original gameplay, great puzzles and hard enigmas, definitely one of my favourite games. Buy it, you won't be disappointed, trust me.
  94. Nov 7, 2014
    Very cheap, trashy game. All of it's "gameplay" is stolen from other games. There is NOTHING original here. This game has a lot of game breaking bugs that still haven't been fixed. Buy at your own risk.
  95. Jun 14, 2013
    Brilliant, fun and challenging and so very creative with layers of depth if you wish to look below the surface. I would buy this game multiple times if it would help encourage more games with this level of creativity.
  96. May 2, 2013
    The game is simply amazing. I don't really care what Phil Fish says the thing is he made a masterpiece here. I really don't know how he figured out all the level designs by himself, but it works so well and so cleverly. Anyway, stop whining about his statements, and buy this game. The art design, the puzzles, and oh, the amazing soundtrack all make for one of the best indie games everThe game is simply amazing. I don't really care what Phil Fish says the thing is he made a masterpiece here. I really don't know how he figured out all the level designs by himself, but it works so well and so cleverly. Anyway, stop whining about his statements, and buy this game. The art design, the puzzles, and oh, the amazing soundtrack all make for one of the best indie games ever made. There are some bugs and crashes, but hey one guy did the art and the puzzles, and the other guy did the programming. I think we can forgive them, especially when this is their first PC project. Expand
  97. Jul 17, 2013
    Very esoteric puzzler... maybe I came looking for the wrong thing (fun game play) and failed to enjoy what is really here (ambiance and mood lighting) but this was just not my cup of tea. I found this game to be very boring once the novelty of the Escher space wore off (about 2-3 hours in for me).
  98. Mei
    Sep 6, 2013
    This game is a mess and the support is even worse. It doesn't work as intended.
    It crashes with most graphic cards after 1 minute of gameplay.
    It doesn't surprise me that the trailer stops at the moment when he gains the Fez hat, because after that a LOT of graphic artifacts appear and the game suddenly crash. Tested with more than 3 computers with different specs, and also with my work
    This game is a mess and the support is even worse. It doesn't work as intended.
    It crashes with most graphic cards after 1 minute of gameplay.
    Tested with more than 3 computers with different specs, and also with my work computer: i7-2670QM 8 GB RAM ATI 6770m.
  99. May 6, 2013
    This is essentially Mario 64 crossed with Myst with a gorgeous audiovisual aesthetic. If you are the kind of person who that appeals to you will love this. For "thinkers and explorers".

Sprawling, with puzzles ranging from clever yet simple to insanely deep and complex. The king of puzzle platformers. The rotation is used to cleverly and in ways too diverse to be called a "gimmick". Art and soundtrack are both stunning.
  100. May 2, 2013
    FEZ brings pixels to life. The vivid colors and music that gives every scene its own style and atmosphere makes every discovery and exploration worthwhile. I could not stop smiling at it and at times I would just pause to appreciate the artistry and the environment. It gives a refreshing taste of platformer and puzzle games.

1. Jun 23, 2013
    A masterpiece by any measure. [July 2013, p.89]
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    A gorgeous puzzle-platformer that's both a treat for the eyes and a thorough workout for the mind. [July 2013, p.82]
    The variation of the broken-down elements of the game is such that, if you miss two or three of the dozens of screens of the game, you will have missed on something special and unique. [June 2013]