Fez PC

6.6

1. Jun 11, 2013
    Indie Game The Movie there I've found out about this game. The genre isn't my piece of cake, but I was curious about the game mechanics. I must say this game is pretty original combining 2D and 3D. The graphics are pretty, the music is relaxing. The world has a lot of details and seems to be crafted with love.
    I won't be dissing Phil Fish because he really made a game which can be
    I won't be dissing Phil Fish because he really made a game which can be advised to try to almost every gamer because it gives unique and refreshing experience.
  2. Nov 13, 2013
    Very charming and fun old school game with a fantastic twist on the 2.5D angle. There may well be some bugs but if you can fight past those you have a very witty, fun and warm game.
  3. Sep 12, 2013
    Great puzzle game and is incredibly original. Just genuinely fun to play. Sad to see its score getting effected because of the 360 versions problems..
  4. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 1
    + The game equivalent of a delightful walk in a beautiful, trans-dimensional park
    + Interesting curve of challenges and gameplay
    ? Some players might consider its lack of difficulty a fault, despite this being an intrinsic goal of the game
    - Some overly obtuse secrets that are not particularly fun to figure out
  5. Dec 28, 2013
    Absolutely beautiful and enjoyable game. All of the low scores are because of it's crashes/glitches in early stages, these are ALL FIXED as far as I'm concerned. This game revolves around collecting objects, and with no actual fast-paced action it's a very calming game, and not to mention it's very atmospheric as well! Very fun game here, I just wish the worlds/levels were set up a littleAbsolutely beautiful and enjoyable game. All of the low scores are because of it's crashes/glitches in early stages, these are ALL FIXED as far as I'm concerned. This game revolves around collecting objects, and with no actual fast-paced action it's a very calming game, and not to mention it's very atmospheric as well! Very fun game here, I just wish the worlds/levels were set up a little more organized, it is very easy to get lost and ends up wasting a lot of time you could've spent exploring more of this very unique and beautiful world! Overall though, I definitely recommend this game to anyone that wants a relaxing, slow-paced platformer, with beautiful, eye-pleasing visuals and classic retro sound effects, and an awesome atmosphere and a truly unique world. Expand
  6. May 17, 2014
    Who can say that FEZ is a bad game? Honestly, this game is a great platform game! The music is beautiful, the scenery as well, and on top of that the gameplay is enhanced by the fact that it is necessary to turn the screen to advance in the game I think it adds a real difficultée gaming platform, and this is a very good idea that developers found there!
  7. Jul 20, 2014
    Really innovative platformer. With nice music and colorful graphics. I think it is not as hard as it looks like at the beginning but you must use your brain.
  8. May 6, 2013
    You can feel the love care and attention lavished on this game through every pixel of its sumptuous levels.
    It is not often that you come across a game that has its own language and number set. The different rooms and levels are littered with symbols and clues that you can either dismiss as decoration or, if you are prepared to put in some time code- cracking ,a rich diverse and rewarding universe awaits you.
    Not all of it is perfect by any means. Some of the levels are better than others, and moving from hub to hub and room to room can be frustrating and time consuming.
    Any one who thinks of themselves as a Gamer is duty bound to play this game, regardless of platform, and once I become Ruler of the Universe I shall make it compulsory for everyone
  9. Jun 5, 2014
    [FEZ / Steam PC / Score 9.5 ]
    [FEZ / Steam PC / Score 9.5 ]
    This was truly worth the wait for a PC port.... A platformer game in a 3D world that can be viewed from 4 sides and played as a flat 2D world - if two things touch then they are connected! I played this with a keyboard and mouse and had a blast. This game is hard.... PC hard.... At least 25% of puzzles cannot be solved the first time you encounter them.... And so I would keep playing other parts of the game and then come back - and BINGO I could figure out how to solve them. Too much fun for nine bucks and ninety nine cents! [/Pirate accent] Do Not Worry aboot finishin’ ‘e game....yule find hints and walkthrus all over ‘e ‘net....[/] This game is Fun.... PC Fun.... and if you don’t know what that means then go get a PC.... {I own a ColecoVision so why bother with a iPhone or an iPad - don’t be an rtard and go get yourself the ultimate gaming machine}. Treat yourself to true blue Indie Goodness. This game let’s you finish before all the problems are solved - and then [/spoiler] you get upgraded when you restart the [new game+] and just enjoy what happens.... These guys at Polytron are great.... This is the ultimate first game release that all game developers wish for.... and the ultimate indie game for you gaming nerds [buy this game] Released on PC 2013.05 and played by me [Random General thoughts]

- - - - build your own PC - sign up for Steam and blow your mind.

Yeah - PC gaming is where it…. is…. at.... ha ha ha hahaaaaaa haha aaahahaa ahahahah.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse

[MyFavorites] [Win7] Stacking Metro2033 Rochard TheDreamMachine Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born] 1964
  10. Mar 20, 2014
    Smart game with some moments of pure genius. The perfect hybrid between a platform and a puzzle game, with the novelty of a "compressed 3D" world. Only for those who are searching for something to challenge the brain rather than the fingers.
  11. Jun 21, 2013
    I have to give this game credit for it's super unique design and unique story. Also, the gameplay is fun and there are some clever puzzles. There's a lot to be discovered in Fez and for the price it's well worth a purchase.
  12. Oct 3, 2013
    Fez. There has been said a lot, but I'm happy I hardly read any of it before playing this game. In short this multidimensional puzzle-platformer has a lot of great ideas, novel puzzles and some ridiculously stupid ones which are way too convoluted for their own good. Which are which? Well, for most of them it depends on your own ability to solve them and make use of out of the boxFez. There has been said a lot, but I'm happy I hardly read any of it before playing this game. In short this multidimensional puzzle-platformer has a lot of great ideas, novel puzzles and some ridiculously stupid ones which are way too convoluted for their own good. Which are which? Well, for most of them it depends on your own ability to solve them and make use of out of the box thinking. But if you want every and all of them solved you'll end up on the internet looking for solutions. Now I don't know if that's a good thing. Maybe it was supposed to bring people together on forums, some sort of indirect multiplayer aspect. Maybe it was just done to troll on players. Probably a bit of both. What I do like -to a certain extend- are the links to the world outside of gaming. Can't say too much about that without spoiling it though.

I love Fez's graphic style. The colors are great, I enjoyed the paper-mario like mixture of 2D and 3D graphics and the special effects are really nice and flashy. At the time I played it there were no bugs whatsoever, so everything went smooth on that part.The world itself has the usual places (sewers, forest, city, graveyard) but I like the way they have been executed. Level design is not ultimate best, but the whole rotating aspect and the multitude of stuff to discover make them very interesting nevertheless.
    The story isn't told completely mute, but it could have been. It's not a very deep one on it's own, but it does make you think multi-dimensional thoughts, so to speak. It airs of wisdomintelligence and simplicity all at the same time (sometimes humorous), and that's a feeling you'll experience a lot during the game.

All in all I enjoyed Fez a lot and I hope some of the novelties will be reused in puzzlers yet to come. Just not too far-fetched please, like the red heart cube ones.
  13. Jan 17, 2015
    FEZ is a quirky little indie-platformer with a simple yet completely fresh gameplay mechanic. Gomez, the little protagonist, lives happily in a 2D world, with 2D folk, until he suddenly comes across a third dimension.

Well, pretty much a third dimension. You now have the ability to rotate the world 90 degrees at a time, being able to see and interact with previously hidden objects and platforms. Initially, the gimmick of a new perspective isn't too challenging. See a platformer too high to jump? Rotate the world to see a platform you can can get to. That ledge much too far to jump? Again, rotate the world and the gap is much less.

Eventually, though, the platforming challenge becomes greater, but not impossible. The level designs are ingenious, but not overly taxing. But if you want to solve the more subtle puzzles, and collect more of the cube-pieces scattered about the world, you'll want to break out the notepad and pen.

This is where FEZ really calls back to it's retro roots. The codes, passwords, and clues in some areas need to be jotted down to be used in other areas, just like the games of old. It teaches us to be classic gamers again. And the amount of humour that classic gamers will get, is always a treat (what, your companion is supposed to know what things mean?).

The integration of modern mechanics is interesting as well. At times, QR codes can be found, and provided you've got a smartphone with the right app to unlock some collectables! I like this because it's not a DLC-aspect thing, it grounds you into reality. Breaking down the 4th wall, which is understandable since in the game they only just discovered the 3rd wall.

The pixellated style is fantastic and varied, all of the areas have something different about them.

Oh, and just be prepared for a psychedelic ending. I was not, and felt like I was falling through a rabbit-hole. If I were high, I would have been trippin' hard.

Regardless, a great small game with many collectables and a fresh perspective on gaming.
  14. May 7, 2013
    I'm not a big platform gaming fan, and I don't play all that many indie games. But you can tell the guy that made this put a lot of work into it. I saw the documentary on Netflix that featured this game and I cannot say that I was all that interested in it. But I kept reading things about it and it's only $10 on steam so I figured what the hell, why not try it out. I'm glad I did. TheI'm not a big platform gaming fan, and I don't play all that many indie games. But you can tell the guy that made this put a lot of work into it. I saw the documentary on Netflix that featured this game and I cannot say that I was all that interested in it. But I kept reading things about it and it's only $10 on steam so I figured what the hell, why not try it out. I'm glad I did. The game literally put a smile on my face as I realized the developer was intending on marrying old-school graphics with a 3d effect that plays an important role in the game. He pulls it off nicely. You have to change views in order to progress to find the cubes. It's like a 3d puzzle. I played the first level so far and I'm impressed with the attention to detail. From the floating cube helper that tells you everything, to popups that give you hints, to the world map, it's as if the guy thought of everything to make the game more of an enjoyment that a frustration...a casual game is what I wanted and this is what I got. I really like the fact that if I die, I re-spawn right where I last was just before i made the mistake so that I don't find myself repeating things over and over and getting bored. $10 well spent! Expand
  15. Jul 9, 2013
    Fez is an amazing story. The game mechanics are very fun and intuitive, the art is eye meltingly beautiful, and when is comes to a soundtrack, this is one of the best I have ever heard. This game is a Solid 10/10
  16. May 2, 2013
    rooms are so stupid. There's no way of knowing what to do and I won't look for some idiot's help. Game crashed for the first time after about 2 hours of playing. Graphics are so stunning wow. Awesome job. Music is also very good. Overall pretty good game aside from those cons.
  17. May 4, 2013
    This is way better than the one on console (I own both), and I really didn't have any complaints at all. I'm not sure why people are even giving this game negative scores, If you actually read their reviews it sounds like they're joking about it.
  18. Jul 20, 2013
    The negative reviews are far from right. This game was great on Xbox, and it is better to see an indie game like this come to its true home: PC. The graphics are cute and the retro setting fits accordingly. The actual game mechanics are simplistic and it's fun to see what puzzles you can accomplish using them. The music is calming and beautiful. I am able to run this game with no lag orThe negative reviews are far from right. This game was great on Xbox, and it is better to see an indie game like this come to its true home: PC. The graphics are cute and the retro setting fits accordingly. The actual game mechanics are simplistic and it's fun to see what puzzles you can accomplish using them. The music is calming and beautiful. I am able to run this game with no lag or bugs, so I can say for sure that it runs PRETTY well. There is a lot of indie games out there, and few can accomplish gaining the beauty games like Fez have. Expand
  19. May 1, 2013
    This game is excellent. You've probably read all about it and are here to cry about a comment that he made about your videogames. The creative man behind it can talk a bit more than he should but honestly most of the comments I read on the internet are 1000x more reprehensible than saying Japanese video games suck. I don't understand how someone can make a sidescrolling puzzle masterpieceThis game is excellent. You've probably read all about it and are here to cry about a comment that he made about your videogames. The creative man behind it can talk a bit more than he should but honestly most of the comments I read on the internet are 1000x more reprehensible than saying Japanese video games suck. I don't understand how someone can make a sidescrolling puzzle masterpiece and be criticized by putting his foot in his mouth. I mean gamers are some of the worst people in the world and they're worried about some guy saying one or two silly things.

The game is not a typical side scroller. I guess the best way to describe it would be a open world puzzle game. It's amazing how complete it all feels though. I've played it on the Xbox and on Steam with no problems so far (like that save glitch). The world feels so alive and vibrant. Every single component of this game has a purpose or adds to the experience. It has its own language and its own vibe. I'm sure everyone is used to ignoring the user score on Metacritic but here it is especially important. This game is amazing.
  20. Mar 20, 2017
    This is a really amazing game! its cute, got fun gameplay, fun puzzles, full of hidden secrets, got about 30 hours of gameplay in and i really enjoyed it! worth trying out!
  21. Jan 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This negative response, by an army of internet **** to this game just because the maker of the game cracked under the pressure of an army of internet **** is... sad, to say the least. This game is a stroke of genius, and while it certainly has its flaws ( a lot of the puzzles just appear recycled in the later stages) these are few and VERY far between. Lets start with the gameplay; i have heard a lot of people on the steam reviews criticise this game for being overly simply... then you look at their playtime; 20 minutes sometimes... wow. This game, while it looks it at first, is not a game to be taken lightly. what appears to be a small, relatively linear cube filled world turns into a sprawling universe, complete with intricate level design, sound design and a seemingly endless list of puzzles... for Christs sake, this guy made a entire language, code and timeline simply for one game. The non-existence of a death penalty perfectly suits the pace of the game, as does the lack of any enemies. This game is one to be played in many many short sessions.
    Moving on, graphics and aesthetic;...SPOT ON, PHIL! from the unique design of every block to a quick brown fox jumping over the lazy dog, and then to the character Gomez (the fez bearer) everything is fantastic just to stare at, to say nothing of interacting with it.
    all in all, this game has an overwhelming amount of content that is well worth the five year wait.
    If i was allowed, i would give this an 11
  22. Sep 7, 2015
    First and foremost, I think Phil Fish is a despicable person. If you don't know why this is search Google for a few minutes. If he ever decides to re-enter the industry I won't be giving him my money. I'm copy-pasting my original review just so I can add this addendum. That said, I consider my original review unbiased so I won't alter it and I won't change the score I gave.

A lot of

A lot of people say they had problems running the game. It ran just fine on my old Core 2 Duo build with a cheapo GeForce 210 card. Maybe I just got lucky.

Some of the other common criticisms:
    -The graphics weren't groundbreaking, or even original, just retro-platformer style with a 3D twist tossed in.
    I thought it was aesthetically pleasing enough, and the different areas had varied looks and feels to them, so I didn't think it was monotonous. Awe-inducing? No. Original? Not particularly. It may not be groundbreaking but I didn't think it was boring.

-Navigation requires a lot of back-tracking.
    Yeah, it does at times. Once you learn a section you can get through fast enough though, and there are some warp gates that let you jump past a few otherwise long journeys. Annoying at times, but not unbearable.

-You can't die, ergo there's no challenge.
    I was okay with that. I enjoyed it more for the puzzles, and honestly if I had to go back to the bottom of the screen every time I fell off a ledge it would be a lot more frustrating than fun.

-The puzzles were too easy, ergo there's no challenge.
    Maybe I'm just stupider than the other people who played this game, but I thought the puzzles were challenging enough to be interesting but not so abstract that I wanted to pull my hair out. They at least took some time and thought to figure out. I enjoyed working out the cryptograms for the alphabet and numbers, then going back to solve the puzzles that required the ability to read, and I didn't mind the fact that some of the puzzles could only be solved during the second play through.

My final thoughts: It was pretty fun. It isn't stressful so you can play casually. You have to play through twice to solve all the puzzles, but the second time around the puzzles you solved stay solved so it's not too painful. It held my interest long enough that I didn't mind. I think the people who gave bad reviews just have really high expectations.
  23. Sep 25, 2013
    Fez is not original, no, it borrows a lot from other games, but what it does it does right. I enjoyed my time exploring all the little worlds, jumping from platform to platform and turning the world around me to solve it's often clever puzzles.

I did however find that not a lot is explained. After the intro you're basically thrown into this world and where you go from there you have to find out for yourself. Adds to the mystery of exploration, sure, but a bit more guidance from time to time would have been nice. This especially goes for a lot of the secrets and hidden puzzles. To find and/or solve most of these you have to learn and understand the in-game language. Nowhere in the game is this clearly explained, and If i hadn't come across it in a guide i was looking at i never would have known. Cool that you want to give a game it's own puzzling language that adds to the gameplay, but let the player know about it because i reckon a lot of gamers have looked past it and that is a shame for the extra amount of gameplay it offers.
  24. Aug 31, 2016
    Fez suffers from the plight of being a master-piece (in the classical sense of the term) in an era of straight-up stupid ignorant couch potatoes. I've hated medias, as well as game medias for so long, only to realise that in more and more occurence, I had to be glad professional critics exists (because they have the minimum of culture, literacy and IQ to understand the underlaying point ofFez suffers from the plight of being a master-piece (in the classical sense of the term) in an era of straight-up stupid ignorant couch potatoes. I've hated medias, as well as game medias for so long, only to realise that in more and more occurence, I had to be glad professional critics exists (because they have the minimum of culture, literacy and IQ to understand the underlaying point of the game) given most gamers reactions. Strangely enough it is positioned not as a deserved, but an obligatory second best game of 2013 position, fortunately enough History will remembers it. Expand
  25. Mar 24, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece of indie development. Breathtaking locations, challenging puzzles, and head-scratching secrets make this game one of a kind. FEZ manages to be tough and challenging without every becoming frustrating. Anyone who gave this a bad rating because it crashed on their computer really have no respect for indies or indie developers.
  26. Sep 13, 2014
    One of the best arcade/indie games i played back in 2013 and personally one of my favourite games, still listening to its incredible soundtrack. For the fans of retro genre and great puzzles.
  27. May 1, 2013
    This is an EXCELLENT game. It is intelligent. It has secrets and puzzles that take the game play way beyond the 'retro platformer" that I expected. It plays smooth and rewards exploration. I get the same rewarding enjoyment out of this game as I did when I played Portal, Portal 2 or Antichamber or the old-school Zork games. You feel accomplishment when a puzzle is solved or a secret isThis is an EXCELLENT game. It is intelligent. It has secrets and puzzles that take the game play way beyond the 'retro platformer" that I expected. It plays smooth and rewards exploration. I get the same rewarding enjoyment out of this game as I did when I played Portal, Portal 2 or Antichamber or the old-school Zork games. You feel accomplishment when a puzzle is solved or a secret is found. This is a game that makes you say, "Jeez, that's brilliant." To the people saying that it does not run well on their system, IT IS YOUR SYSTEM, NOT THE GAME. I am playing this on a 3 year old ASUS G74 laptop with a 24 inch external 1980 x 1200 monitor, much more then what the computer is designed for and it runs without any issues what-so-ever.

It game was $10 very well spent! I do suggest using a game pad when playing it as the game is designed to be played that way.

If you love ANY of the games I mentioned above, give this awesome game a try.
  28. Dec 5, 2013
    The Best Indie Puzzle Platform Videogame of last years. The soundtrack, the gameplay, the story, the pixel graphic, the landscapes are ULTRA BEAUTIFUL For the first minute i don't enjoy very much with this game but after playing some hours this game become your best choice for having some fun and sincerely i don't like very much this indie puzzle platform videogames (like Mark of theThe Best Indie Puzzle Platform Videogame of last years. The soundtrack, the gameplay, the story, the pixel graphic, the landscapes are ULTRA BEAUTIFUL For the first minute i don't enjoy very much with this game but after playing some hours this game become your best choice for having some fun and sincerely i don't like very much this indie puzzle platform videogames (like Mark of the Ninja) but this is very beautiful, it's like Super Mario for gameboy but the 10.0 upgrade version for the amount of innovations. Expand
  29. Oct 4, 2013
    First of all I need to specify I had this game on a Humble Bundle deal, and by this time the bugs and glitches some have mentioned were obviously fixed as I didn't encounter any of them. The graphics are pixelated yes, but they are rich, colorful and there are plenty of little details in the fauna that makes things alive compared to most games that feel so sterile and boring after a fewFirst of all I need to specify I had this game on a Humble Bundle deal, and by this time the bugs and glitches some have mentioned were obviously fixed as I didn't encounter any of them. The graphics are pixelated yes, but they are rich, colorful and there are plenty of little details in the fauna that makes things alive compared to most games that feel so sterile and boring after a few minutes. This is not the case with FEZ; it's a game that was made with passion as a huge amount of details as been put in the game, which makes me wonder the agenda of those that gave the game a score below 6. I play this game on a PS2 gamepad using an adapter (not the most conventional way to play a pc game), nevertheless, I'd never had so much ease to input the controls and to make everything work so nicely on the first try; it's intuitive and enjoyable to rotate the map using the L1-L2 buttons although most people using a keyboard might have a harder time adjusting the controls to their taste. The game being pretty and having nice controls is sure nice but it wouldn't go anywhere near stardom classic without a master soundtrack, which happen to be the case here. The music is not the most melodic you'll ever hear; but it fits the game perfectly which make the whole package feels like symbiosis. I've seen a crapload of 2d games in the past few years that all look the same, FEZ is different; it feels unique, looks unique and is a memorable experience and for that it deserves to be reckon. Most of the reason you'll see bashing around this gem seem to be about the main developer being rude, whose seem to put too much love into his game and not enough for his community which make some people go mad about him and his creation. We seem to forget that the only thing we should expect from a developer is the game, nothing else. FEZ stands to me as one of the best 2d platformer on the pc, alongside Cave Story. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Expand
  30. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. its always see a game with a different idea than just a shooter and it's really a platformer the a concept amazing visuals are breathtaking. I think the game plays really solid and as experience no other game can copy Expand

1. PC PowerPlay
    Jun 23, 2013
    A masterpiece by any measure. [July 2013, p.89]
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    A gorgeous puzzle-platformer that's both a treat for the eyes and a thorough workout for the mind. [July 2013, p.82]
  3. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    The variation of the broken-down elements of the game is such that, if you miss two or three of the dozens of screens of the game, you will have missed on something special and unique. [June 2013]