Fez PC

6.5

1. May 1, 2013
    This game is excellent. You've probably read all about it and are here to cry about a comment that he made about your videogames. The creative man behind it can talk a bit more than he should but honestly most of the comments I read on the internet are 1000x more reprehensible than saying Japanese video games suck. I don't understand how someone can make a sidescrolling puzzle masterpieceThis game is excellent. You've probably read all about it and are here to cry about a comment that he made about your videogames. The creative man behind it can talk a bit more than he should but honestly most of the comments I read on the internet are 1000x more reprehensible than saying Japanese video games suck. I don't understand how someone can make a sidescrolling puzzle masterpiece and be criticized by putting his foot in his mouth. I mean gamers are some of the worst people in the world and they're worried about some guy saying one or two silly things.

The game is not a typical side scroller. I guess the best way to describe it would be a open world puzzle game. It's amazing how complete it all feels though. I've played it on the Xbox and on Steam with no problems so far (like that save glitch). The world feels so alive and vibrant. Every single component of this game has a purpose or adds to the experience. It has its own language and its own vibe. I'm sure everyone is used to ignoring the user score on Metacritic but here it is especially important. This game is amazing.
  2. Oct 3, 2013
    Fez. There has been said a lot, but I'm happy I hardly read any of it before playing this game. In short this multidimensional puzzle-platformer has a lot of great ideas, novel puzzles and some ridiculously stupid ones which are way too convoluted for their own good. Which are which? Well, for most of them it depends on your own ability to solve them and make use of out of the boxFez. There has been said a lot, but I'm happy I hardly read any of it before playing this game. In short this multidimensional puzzle-platformer has a lot of great ideas, novel puzzles and some ridiculously stupid ones which are way too convoluted for their own good. Which are which? Well, for most of them it depends on your own ability to solve them and make use of out of the box thinking. But if you want every and all of them solved you'll end up on the internet looking for solutions. Now I don't know if that's a good thing. Maybe it was supposed to bring people together on forums, some sort of indirect multiplayer aspect. Maybe it was just done to troll on players. Probably a bit of both. What I do like -to a certain extend- are the links to the world outside of gaming. Can't say too much about that without spoiling it though.

I love Fez's graphic style. The colors are great, I enjoyed the paper-mario like mixture of 2D and 3D graphics and the special effects are really nice and flashy. At the time I played it there were no bugs whatsoever, so everything went smooth on that part.The world itself has the usual places (sewers, forest, city, graveyard) but I like the way they have been executed. Level design is not ultimate best, but the whole rotating aspect and the multitude of stuff to discover make them very interesting nevertheless.
    The story isn't told completely mute, but it could have been. It's not a very deep one on it's own, but it does make you think multi-dimensional thoughts, so to speak. It airs of wisdomintelligence and simplicity all at the same time (sometimes humorous), and that's a feeling you'll experience a lot during the game.

All in all I enjoyed Fez a lot and I hope some of the novelties will be reused in puzzlers yet to come. Just not too far-fetched please, like the red heart cube ones.
  3. Jun 5, 2014
    [FEZ / Steam PC / Score 9.5 ]
    [FEZ / Steam PC / Score 9.5 ]
    This was truly worth the wait for a PC port.... A platformer game in a 3D world that can be viewed from 4 sides and played as a flat 2D world - if two things touch then they are connected! I played this with a keyboard and mouse and had a blast. This game is hard.... PC hard.... At least 25% of puzzles cannot be solved the first time you encounter them.... And so I would keep playing other parts of the game and then come back - and BINGO I could figure out how to solve them. Too much fun for nine bucks and ninety nine cents! [/Pirate accent] Do Not Worry aboot finishin’ ‘e game....yule find hints and walkthrus all over ‘e ‘net....[/] This game is Fun.... PC Fun.... and if you don’t know what that means then go get a PC.... {I own a ColecoVision so why bother with a iPhone or an iPad - don’t be an rtard and go get yourself the ultimate gaming machine}. Treat yourself to true blue Indie Goodness. This game let’s you finish before all the problems are solved - and then [/spoiler] you get upgraded when you restart the [new game+] and just enjoy what happens.... These guys at Polytron are great.... This is the ultimate first game release that all game developers wish for.... and the ultimate indie game for you gaming nerds [buy this game] Released on PC 2013.05 and played by me [Random General thoughts]

- - - - build your own PC - sign up for Steam and blow your mind.

Yeah - PC gaming is where it…. is…. at.... ha ha ha hahaaaaaa haha aaahahaa ahahahah.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse

[MyFavorites] [Win7] Stacking Metro2033 Rochard TheDreamMachine Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born] 1964
  4. Sep 25, 2013
    Fez is not original, no, it borrows a lot from other games, but what it does it does right. I enjoyed my time exploring all the little worlds, jumping from platform to platform and turning the world around me to solve it's often clever puzzles.

I did however find that not a lot is explained. After the intro you're basically thrown into this world and where you go from there you have to find out for yourself. Adds to the mystery of exploration, sure, but a bit more guidance from time to time would have been nice. This especially goes for a lot of the secrets and hidden puzzles. To find and/or solve most of these you have to learn and understand the in-game language. Nowhere in the game is this clearly explained, and If i hadn't come across it in a guide i was looking at i never would have known. Cool that you want to give a game it's own puzzling language that adds to the gameplay, but let the player know about it because i reckon a lot of gamers have looked past it and that is a shame for the extra amount of gameplay it offers.
  5. May 7, 2013
    I'm not a big platform gaming fan, and I don't play all that many indie games. But you can tell the guy that made this put a lot of work into it. I saw the documentary on Netflix that featured this game and I cannot say that I was all that interested in it. But I kept reading things about it and it's only $10 on steam so I figured what the hell, why not try it out. I'm glad I did. TheI'm not a big platform gaming fan, and I don't play all that many indie games. But you can tell the guy that made this put a lot of work into it. I saw the documentary on Netflix that featured this game and I cannot say that I was all that interested in it. But I kept reading things about it and it's only $10 on steam so I figured what the hell, why not try it out. I'm glad I did. The game literally put a smile on my face as I realized the developer was intending on marrying old-school graphics with a 3d effect that plays an important role in the game. He pulls it off nicely. You have to change views in order to progress to find the cubes. It's like a 3d puzzle. I played the first level so far and I'm impressed with the attention to detail. From the floating cube helper that tells you everything, to popups that give you hints, to the world map, it's as if the guy thought of everything to make the game more of an enjoyment that a frustration...a casual game is what I wanted and this is what I got. I really like the fact that if I die, I re-spawn right where I last was just before i made the mistake so that I don't find myself repeating things over and over and getting bored. $10 well spent! Collapse
  6. Jul 9, 2013
    Fez is an amazing story. The game mechanics are very fun and intuitive, the art is eye meltingly beautiful, and when is comes to a soundtrack, this is one of the best I have ever heard. This game is a Solid 10/10
  7. May 6, 2013
    You can feel the love care and attention lavished on this game through every pixel of its sumptuous levels.
    It is not often that you come across a game that has its own language and number set. The different rooms and levels are littered with symbols and clues that you can either dismiss as decoration or, if you are prepared to put in some time code- cracking ,a rich diverse and rewarding universe awaits you.
    Not all of it is perfect by any means. Some of the levels are better than others, and moving from hub to hub and room to room can be frustrating and time consuming.
    Any one who thinks of themselves as a Gamer is duty bound to play this game, regardless of platform, and once I become Ruler of the Universe I shall make it compulsory for everyone
  8. Nov 13, 2013
    Very charming and fun old school game with a fantastic twist on the 2.5D angle. There may well be some bugs but if you can fight past those you have a very witty, fun and warm game.
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    Brilliant, fun and challenging and so very creative with layers of depth if you wish to look below the surface. I would buy this game multiple times if it would help encourage more games with this level of creativity.
  10. Oct 4, 2013
    First of all I need to specify I had this game on a Humble Bundle deal, and by this time the bugs and glitches some have mentioned were obviously fixed as I didn't encounter any of them. The graphics are pixelated yes, but they are rich, colorful and there are plenty of little details in the fauna that makes things alive compared to most games that feel so sterile and boring after a fewFirst of all I need to specify I had this game on a Humble Bundle deal, and by this time the bugs and glitches some have mentioned were obviously fixed as I didn't encounter any of them. The graphics are pixelated yes, but they are rich, colorful and there are plenty of little details in the fauna that makes things alive compared to most games that feel so sterile and boring after a few minutes. This is not the case with FEZ; it's a game that was made with passion as a huge amount of details as been put in the game, which makes me wonder the agenda of those that gave the game a score below 6. I play this game on a PS2 gamepad using an adapter (not the most conventional way to play a pc game), nevertheless, I'd never had so much ease to input the controls and to make everything work so nicely on the first try; it's intuitive and enjoyable to rotate the map using the L1-L2 buttons although most people using a keyboard might have a harder time adjusting the controls to their taste. The game being pretty and having nice controls is sure nice but it wouldn't go anywhere near stardom classic without a master soundtrack, which happen to be the case here. The music is not the most melodic you'll ever hear; but it fits the game perfectly which make the whole package feels like symbiosis. I've seen a crapload of 2d games in the past few years that all look the same, FEZ is different; it feels unique, looks unique and is a memorable experience and for that it deserves to be reckon. Most of the reason you'll see bashing around this gem seem to be about the main developer being rude, whose seem to put too much love into his game and not enough for his community which make some people go mad about him and his creation. We seem to forget that the only thing we should expect from a developer is the game, nothing else. FEZ stands to me as one of the best 2d platformer on the pc, alongside Cave Story. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Expand
  11. May 2, 2013
    The game is simply amazing. I don't really care what Phil Fish says the thing is he made a masterpiece here. I really don't know how he figured out all the level designs by himself, but it works so well and so cleverly. Anyway, stop whining about his statements, and buy this game. The art design, the puzzles, and oh, the amazing soundtrack all make for one of the best indie games everThe game is simply amazing. I don't really care what Phil Fish says the thing is he made a masterpiece here. I really don't know how he figured out all the level designs by himself, but it works so well and so cleverly. Anyway, stop whining about his statements, and buy this game. The art design, the puzzles, and oh, the amazing soundtrack all make for one of the best indie games ever made. There are some bugs and crashes, but hey one guy did the art and the puzzles, and the other guy did the programming. I think we can forgive them, especially when this is their first PC project. Expand
  12. Dec 28, 2013
    Absolutely beautiful and enjoyable game. All of the low scores are because of it's crashes/glitches in early stages, these are ALL FIXED as far as I'm concerned. This game revolves around collecting objects, and with no actual fast-paced action it's a very calming game, and not to mention it's very atmospheric as well! Very fun game here, I just wish the worlds/levels were set up a littleAbsolutely beautiful and enjoyable game. All of the low scores are because of it's crashes/glitches in early stages, these are ALL FIXED as far as I'm concerned. This game revolves around collecting objects, and with no actual fast-paced action it's a very calming game, and not to mention it's very atmospheric as well! Very fun game here, I just wish the worlds/levels were set up a little more organized, it is very easy to get lost and ends up wasting a lot of time you could've spent exploring more of this very unique and beautiful world! Overall though, I definitely recommend this game to anyone that wants a relaxing, slow-paced platformer, with beautiful, eye-pleasing visuals and classic retro sound effects, and an awesome atmosphere and a truly unique world. Expand
  13. May 2, 2013
    rooms are so stupid. There's no way of knowing what to do and I won't look for some idiot's help. Game crashed for the first time after about 2 hours of playing. Graphics are so stunning wow. Awesome job. Music is also very good. Overall pretty good game aside from those cons.
  14. May 1, 2013
    Phil Fish, this review is a personal congratulation on your masterpiece. I know it is already 2 years since its release but only know I could fully comprehend the best inner part of the game. The system of turning the world from 2D to 3D is outstanding, graphics are brilliant, gameplay is marvelous and with that audio surroundings are perfectly relaxing. For such a price (which I considerPhil Fish, this review is a personal congratulation on your masterpiece. I know it is already 2 years since its release but only know I could fully comprehend the best inner part of the game. The system of turning the world from 2D to 3D is outstanding, graphics are brilliant, gameplay is marvelous and with that audio surroundings are perfectly relaxing. For such a price (which I consider nothing to give 2 guys who have been working their ass off to get this tremendous game) it is not only one of the best Indie games, but as well one of the best games created. Puzzles are interesting, storyline is fascinating and dialogues are funny! Hope you will read this and smile! Thank you again for the experience I have lived through because of you! 10/10, no questions Expand
  15. May 8, 2013
    Not a single technical problem encountered. Enjoyed the game from start to finish.

This game reminded me some golden memories from the past and yet brought enough new to me. Unique mechanic idea that doesn't get boring as the levels evolve and improve from time to time. Immersive and beautifully crafted world to explore, interesting puzzles and secrets to dis-cover. With enough fun,

Unique mechanic idea that doesn't get boring as the levels evolve and improve from time to time. Immersive and beautifully crafted world to explore, interesting puzzles and secrets to dis-cover. With enough fun, mystery and replayability, the game manages to live up to all the 'noise' around it that we've been hearing for five years.

Congrats Polytron.
  16. Oct 23, 2013
    This game is great if you know what you're getting into. I used to spend some time playing Sword and Sworcery with my headphones on between the hours of 12 a.m. and 3 a.m., and I loved it. Fez is for those who want a similar experience. It's not strenuous, it isn't meant to get your adrenaline flowing, its just a puzzle game, with one very simply yet creative and complex mechanic. TheThis game is great if you know what you're getting into. I used to spend some time playing Sword and Sworcery with my headphones on between the hours of 12 a.m. and 3 a.m., and I loved it. Fez is for those who want a similar experience. It's not strenuous, it isn't meant to get your adrenaline flowing, its just a puzzle game, with one very simply yet creative and complex mechanic. The simplicity of the game combined with the art design and a rather relaxing soundtrack put it at the top of my list.

Now that being said, another one of my favorite concepts within the game can also be the most frustrating. The secrets within Fez require a lot of tedious work, and on occasion you will have to cheat or simply discover some secrets on accident. It took me an age and a half to realize how to translate the language created by Polytron. And some rooms that contain secrets I've spent what has felt like ages walking around in, only for them to still remain mysteries for me today.

The other issue I have with the game is that the PC version is a somewhat lazy port. On rare occasion you will find the game referring to Xbox controls. I myself also have a serious issue with playing the game in fullscreen on higher resolutions, resulting in bad flicker, screen tears and lines across the monitor (however this seems to be a personal build issue, as I don't see it reported very often).

Overall I gave this game an 8/10. It really is a lovely experience for those who are looking for just that. You are never punished for making mistakes, you just try your hand at the puzzles until they are solved. I do wish there would be a few minor fixes for the game, but I honestly do believe that this was a success by Polytron, and I do hope to see more from them in the future.
  17. Jun 11, 2013
    Indie Game The Movie there I've found out about this game. The genre isn't my piece of cake, but I was curious about the game mechanics. I must say this game is pretty original combining 2D and 3D. The graphics are pretty, the music is relaxing. The world has a lot of details and seems to be crafted with love.
    I won't be dissing Phil Fish because he really made a game which can be
    I won't be dissing Phil Fish because he really made a game which can be advised to try to almost every gamer because it gives unique and refreshing experience.
  18. May 1, 2013
    This is an EXCELLENT game. It is intelligent. It has secrets and puzzles that take the game play way beyond the 'retro platformer" that I expected. It plays smooth and rewards exploration. I get the same rewarding enjoyment out of this game as I did when I played Portal, Portal 2 or Antichamber or the old-school Zork games. You feel accomplishment when a puzzle is solved or a secret isThis is an EXCELLENT game. It is intelligent. It has secrets and puzzles that take the game play way beyond the 'retro platformer" that I expected. It plays smooth and rewards exploration. I get the same rewarding enjoyment out of this game as I did when I played Portal, Portal 2 or Antichamber or the old-school Zork games. You feel accomplishment when a puzzle is solved or a secret is found. This is a game that makes you say, "Jeez, that's brilliant." To the people saying that it does not run well on their system, IT IS YOUR SYSTEM, NOT THE GAME. I am playing this on a 3 year old ASUS G74 laptop with a 24 inch external 1980 x 1200 monitor, much more then what the computer is designed for and it runs without any issues what-so-ever.

It game was $10 very well spent! I do suggest using a game pad when playing it as the game is designed to be played that way.

If you love ANY of the games I mentioned above, give this awesome game a try.
  19. May 1, 2013
    Amazing game. PC gamers who love platform games will love this game. When I first started playing I feel in love with the world. It's an amazing puzzle game and it does not cost that much at all. GET IT.
  20. May 3, 2013
    This game is one of the best indie released to this date. Don't listen to bad reviews because as you'll see they're only based on judgement about it's genius maker Phil Fish. And like all geniuses, it doesn't fit in a box that stupid people feel confortable with. But the game is un-criticable it's an innovative, beautifully designed and directed exploration game with a unique feel craftedThis game is one of the best indie released to this date. Don't listen to bad reviews because as you'll see they're only based on judgement about it's genius maker Phil Fish. And like all geniuses, it doesn't fit in a box that stupid people feel confortable with. But the game is un-criticable it's an innovative, beautifully designed and directed exploration game with a unique feel crafted from spot-on soundtrack and charming universe. Fùùù the haters Expand
  21. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. its always see a game with a different idea than just a shooter and it's really a platformer the a concept amazing visuals are breathtaking. I think the game plays really solid and as experience no other game can copy Expand
  22. Sep 1, 2013
    People just don't get this game. Its all about getting immersed in its amazing world. Its surely casual, and its the best of the best in being casual.
  23. Sep 12, 2013
    Great puzzle game and is incredibly original. Just genuinely fun to play. Sad to see its score getting effected because of the 360 versions problems..
  24. May 7, 2013
    at first, before they updated this game, it wouldn't run. once this issue was fixed, i found myself drawn into this universe of 2d and 3d. the graphics are beautiful and the environments make this game beautiful. i told myself i would play 20 minutes of it then stop, then 2 hours passed and i realized that i had gotten pulled in. this game is almost perfect. the only thing i would changeat first, before they updated this game, it wouldn't run. once this issue was fixed, i found myself drawn into this universe of 2d and 3d. the graphics are beautiful and the environments make this game beautiful. i told myself i would play 20 minutes of it then stop, then 2 hours passed and i realized that i had gotten pulled in. this game is almost perfect. the only thing i would change is the addition of fall damage, which sometimes makes a small fall kill you. Expand
  25. May 4, 2013
    This is way better than the one on console (I own both), and I really didn't have any complaints at all. I'm not sure why people are even giving this game negative scores, If you actually read their reviews it sounds like they're joking about it.
  26. May 6, 2013
    This is essentially Mario 64 crossed with Myst with a gorgeous audiovisual aesthetic. If you are the kind of person who that appeals to you will love this. For "thinkers and explorers".

Sprawling, with puzzles ranging from clever yet simple to insanely deep and complex. The king of puzzle platformers. The rotation is used to cleverly and in ways too diverse to be called a "gimmick". Art and soundtrack are both stunning.
  27. May 1, 2013
    This brought a new 3D world While staying in a 2D world A Very fun puzzle games for a low price and hours of Puzzles. If your looking for some puzzle fun this game is for you the worlds are very nicely designed.
  28. May 2, 2013
    FEZ brings pixels to life. The vivid colors and music that gives every scene its own style and atmosphere makes every discovery and exploration worthwhile. I could not stop smiling at it and at times I would just pause to appreciate the artistry and the environment. It gives a refreshing taste of platformer and puzzle games.
  29. May 5, 2013
    I've always had my eye on this game, and my expectations for it were extremely high. It is definitely an extremely fun and solid game. One of the best indie games in the market, and I'm not sure why there are so many players who hate it. The port itself is not horrible. I recommend that this game be played with a gamepad, simple because it was designed to be played with one. The atmosphereI've always had my eye on this game, and my expectations for it were extremely high. It is definitely an extremely fun and solid game. One of the best indie games in the market, and I'm not sure why there are so many players who hate it. The port itself is not horrible. I recommend that this game be played with a gamepad, simple because it was designed to be played with one. The atmosphere of the game is so colorful and vivid that playing it is such a pleasure. There are definitely some flaws, but I would rate this game a 9/10. Expand
  30. May 6, 2013
    Fun and pretty, with nice music. Fez ran very stably for me on 3-year-old hardware. I enjoyed going beyond the regular gameplay to figure out the embedded puzzles in NewGame+ mode. Fez gives back what you choose to invest in it, which is very refreshing for a modern game. I give it 9 and not 10 because at its most basic level, before deciphering any of the in-game language, there isn'tFun and pretty, with nice music. Fez ran very stably for me on 3-year-old hardware. I enjoyed going beyond the regular gameplay to figure out the embedded puzzles in NewGame+ mode. Fez gives back what you choose to invest in it, which is very refreshing for a modern game. I give it 9 and not 10 because at its most basic level, before deciphering any of the in-game language, there isn't much driving you forward except the desire to explore new pretty areas. Expand
  31. May 7, 2013

1. PC PowerPlay
    Jun 23, 2013
    A masterpiece by any measure. [July 2013, p.89]
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    A gorgeous puzzle-platformer that's both a treat for the eyes and a thorough workout for the mind. [July 2013, p.82]
  3. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    The variation of the broken-down elements of the game is such that, if you miss two or three of the dozens of screens of the game, you will have missed on something special and unique. [June 2013]