6.5

1. May 1, 2013
    Doesn't work as intended. Crashed on first loadup, noticed my fan was going crazy so I checked my temperatures. CPU was at over 90 C. This game is so ill-optimized it will try to kill your computer.
    If you have any intention of playing this and don't live in antartica, play the waiting game a bit more first
  2. May 2, 2013
    FEZ brings pixels to life. The vivid colors and music that gives every scene its own style and atmosphere makes every discovery and exploration worthwhile. I could not stop smiling at it and at times I would just pause to appreciate the artistry and the environment. It gives a refreshing taste of platformer and puzzle games.
  3. May 2, 2013
    FEZ in a nutshell: A continuous, slow paced hunt for events that make your world spin around. The 4 is given for good visuals, okay audio, and amount of content. Should there be something that just makes you push for that one next cube, I'd give it a lot more, but there simply isn't.
  4. May 7, 2013
    Decent game in spite of some minor glitches and crashing until updated, since update 1.03 i have not had any more problems with it crashing. The levels do tend to get repetitive and as far as where to go, it seems to be just guessing,and having to do alot of backtracking and redoing levels,the 3-d map is more confusing than anything. But in spite of the minor annoyances it is an enjoyable game with some interesting puzzles and levels.
    As far as the review i read complaining about needing a 'discreet graphics card".and it not being made apparent. I have to ask. What game doesn't need a half decent video card nowadays? I would venture to guess the vast majority do, and if you bothered to look at the system requirements for the game it clearly states the minimum graphics card,as being nvidia 8600gt or radeon 6450 .so this was made more than apparent to anyone that bothered to look it up.
  5. Jul 12, 2013
    Fez is just another one of the many "retro-style" indie games that uses it's graphics as an excuse to make the game seem more back-to-basics and stylized. It's already late to the hype, not to mention the style itself doesn't match with true retro platformers. The puzzles are boring and not challenging, the music is flat (actually it's "ambient" *wink* *wink*), and the developer himself is not worthy of praise. I'll give it a 3 because of the colors and the fact that this took five years to develop. Expand
  6. May 1, 2013
    This brought a new 3D world While staying in a 2D world A Very fun puzzle games for a low price and hours of Puzzles. If your looking for some puzzle fun this game is for you the worlds are very nicely designed.
  7. May 6, 2013
    Average game over-hyped by the media/journalism sphere.
    2D/3D manipulation and twist are interesting but that's it more or less.

Incentive to go forward in this slow-paced game is lacking.

Possibility of loosing interest very likely.
  8. May 1, 2013
    This game is excellent. You've probably read all about it and are here to cry about a comment that he made about your videogames. The creative man behind it can talk a bit more than he should but honestly most of the comments I read on the internet are 1000x more reprehensible than saying Japanese video games suck. I don't understand how someone can make a sidescrolling puzzle masterpiece and be criticized by putting his foot in his mouth. I mean gamers are some of the worst people in the world and they're worried about some guy saying one or two silly things.

The game is not a typical side scroller. I guess the best way to describe it would be a open world puzzle game. It's amazing how complete it all feels though. I've played it on the Xbox and on Steam with no problems so far (like that save glitch). The world feels so alive and vibrant. Every single component of this game has a purpose or adds to the experience. It has its own language and its own vibe. I'm sure everyone is used to ignoring the user score on Metacritic but here it is especially important. This game is amazing.
  9. Jul 11, 2013
    An interesting concept of mixing 2D and 3D graphics and that's where it all ends... It has huge technical issues on some rigs, but this is by far not its biggest problem: it is mind-numbingly boring! Only for the most persevering aficionados of Rubik's cubes.
  10. May 1, 2013
    Phil Fish, this review is a personal congratulation on your masterpiece. I know it is already 2 years since its release but only know I could fully comprehend the best inner part of the game. The system of turning the world from 2D to 3D is outstanding, graphics are brilliant, gameplay is marvelous and with that audio surroundings are perfectly relaxing. For such a price (which I consider nothing to give 2 guys who have been working their ass off to get this tremendous game) it is not only one of the best Indie games, but as well one of the best games created. Puzzles are interesting, storyline is fascinating and dialogues are funny! Hope you will read this and smile! Thank you again for the experience I have lived through because of you! 10/10, no questions Expand
  11. May 1, 2013
    This is an EXCELLENT game. It is intelligent. It has secrets and puzzles that take the game play way beyond the 'retro platformer" that I expected. It plays smooth and rewards exploration. I get the same rewarding enjoyment out of this game as I did when I played Portal, Portal 2 or Antichamber or the old-school Zork games. You feel accomplishment when a puzzle is solved or a secret is found. This is a game that makes you say, "Jeez, that's brilliant." To the people saying that it does not run well on their system, IT IS YOUR SYSTEM, NOT THE GAME. I am playing this on a 3 year old ASUS G74 laptop with a 24 inch external 1980 x 1200 monitor, much more then what the computer is designed for and it runs without any issues what-so-ever.

It game was $10 very well spent! I do suggest using a game pad when playing it as the game is designed to be played that way.

If you love ANY of the games I mentioned above, give this awesome game a try.
  12. May 2, 2013
    The game is simply amazing. I don't really care what Phil Fish says the thing is he made a masterpiece here. I really don't know how he figured out all the level designs by himself, but it works so well and so cleverly. Anyway, stop whining about his statements, and buy this game. The art design, the puzzles, and oh, the amazing soundtrack all make for one of the best indie games ever made. There are some bugs and crashes, but hey one guy did the art and the puzzles, and the other guy did the programming. I think we can forgive them, especially when this is their first PC project. Expand
  13. Jun 11, 2013
    Indie Game The Movie there I've found out about this game. The genre isn't my piece of cake, but I was curious about the game mechanics. I must say this game is pretty original combining 2D and 3D. The graphics are pretty, the music is relaxing. The world has a lot of details and seems to be crafted with love.
    I won't be dissing Phil Fish because he really made a game which can be
    advised to try to almost every gamer because it gives unique and refreshing experience. Expand
  14. May 1, 2013
    Amazing game. PC gamers who love platform games will love this game. When I first started playing I feel in love with the world. It's an amazing puzzle game and it does not cost that much at all. GET IT.
  15. May 4, 2013
    I had high hopes for this game after hearing about how quirky and interesting it was.
    Well I have to say I am actually pretty disappointed. The puzzles basically consist of translating symbols for the entire game.. over and over. The rotation doesn't really add any depth to the game once you understand how it works, because basically all the levels are the same. Jump to platform,
    rotate world so next platform is within jumping range, repeat.
    It Is cheap but quite short and uninteresting so I give it a slightly above average score.
  16. May 3, 2013
    This game is one of the best indie released to this date. Don't listen to bad reviews because as you'll see they're only based on judgement about it's genius maker Phil Fish. And like all geniuses, it doesn't fit in a box that stupid people feel confortable with. But the game is un-criticable it's an innovative, beautifully designed and directed exploration game with a unique feel crafted from spot-on soundtrack and charming universe. Fùùù the haters Expand
  17. May 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. FEZ is not what I expected it to be. FEZ is more of an adventure game than it is a puzzle game. Don't get me wrong, the game has a lot of very interesting puzzles, but completing those puzzles is not enough to finish the game (The game doesn't end after 32 cubes, as you might think!). The game expects you to see a drawing of a fox jumping over something next to a bunch of symbols and understand it refers to the English alphabet (The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog). And since I'm not a native speaker, there was no way I would figure that out by myself. The twisting mechanic is no more than a way to travel around, and is used in some of the puzzles, but those aren't enough. If you're into adventure games, this is a game for you just keep in mind you'll do a lot of Internet research if you REALLY want to finish the game. Expand
  18. May 6, 2013
    This is essentially Mario 64 crossed with Myst with a gorgeous audiovisual aesthetic. If you are the kind of person who that appeals to you will love this. For "thinkers and explorers".

Sprawling, with puzzles ranging from clever yet simple to insanely deep and complex. The king of puzzle platformers. The rotation is used to cleverly and in ways too diverse to be called a "gimmick". Art
    and soundtrack are both stunning. Expand
  19. May 12, 2013
    Firstly let me say that I have never written a metacritic review before, but I love this game so much that it physically hurts, and I just had to let other people know that. I'm an 80s and 90s kid mostly, and this game really took me back to the likes of Super Mario 64, and the Legend of Zelda series in it's ethos and gameplay style.

Firstly it is necessary to say that it is quite a
    smart game, and that might scare some people. There is thinking required to even reach the end of the game, let alone to 100% it so in that sense I can understand your average Call of Duty robot being put off by this. However what I will say is that this is hands-down the most faithful representation of those old platforming games you used to love, reproduced in beautiful and often pretty trippy 8-bit graphics. Furthermore, this is a game with depth I was able to re-explore areas I had already 'finished' when I learnt some of the game's later secrets. As a result, you feel like you know the layout of the world very well by the end, which add a really memorable character to the overall experience.

In short, if you like your games intelligent, thoughtfully designed, and completely absorbing, then you owe it to yourself to play this game. It's not a game which will last you for months and months, but it is an absolutely unforgettable and charming experience. Don't be put off by the people who are angry because they had to use their brain to play the game, or who had unfortunate technical issues and couldn't see past this. Many more people than that have had no issues, and have been impressed with this game as I have. This one really is not to be missed.
  20. May 2, 2013
    rooms are so stupid. There's no way of knowing what to do and I won't look for some idiot's help. Game crashed for the first time after about 2 hours of playing. Graphics are so stunning wow. Awesome job. Music is also very good. Overall pretty good game aside from those cons.
  21. May 4, 2013
    This is way better than the one on console (I own both), and I really didn't have any complaints at all. I'm not sure why people are even giving this game negative scores, If you actually read their reviews it sounds like they're joking about it.
  22. May 6, 2013
    It has not worked since launch day. For some reason it cannot work without a discrete graphics card. This limitation should have been made apparent, especially before pre-selling the game.
  23. May 7, 2013
    at first, before they updated this game, it wouldn't run. once this issue was fixed, i found myself drawn into this universe of 2d and 3d. the graphics are beautiful and the environments make this game beautiful. i told myself i would play 20 minutes of it then stop, then 2 hours passed and i realized that i had gotten pulled in. this game is almost perfect. the only thing i would change is the addition of fall damage, which sometimes makes a small fall kill you. Expand
  24. JAP
    May 11, 2013
    Fez is easily one of the best games i have ever played. The game play mechanics, the level design, the artwork, the secrets, new language and even counting system. everything is superbly done, and Polytron, most notably Phil Fish, deserves two thumbs up for creating a game that I found both challenging and entertaining (a rare feat in today's world of games where the majority of the gaming population plays games like COD or WOW.)
    So what are you waiting for? Every second you waste not finding Cubes and AntiCubes is another when the Hexahedron is in pieces, and every second the Hexahedron is in pieces the more the world glitches and falls apart, and the more the world glitches and falls apart the more the world is filled with black holes, and you don't really want to know when the world is full of black holes :P
    Buy it. Play it. I promise you won't be disappointed.
  25. May 6, 2013
    You can feel the love care and attention lavished on this game through every pixel of its sumptuous levels.
    It is not often that you come across a game that has its own language and number set. The different rooms and levels are littered with symbols and clues that you can either dismiss as decoration or, if you are prepared to put in some time code- cracking ,a rich diverse and rewarding
    universe awaits you.
    Not all of it is perfect by any means. Some of the levels are better than others, and moving from hub to hub and room to room can be frustrating and time consuming.
    Any one who thinks of themselves as a Gamer is duty bound to play this game, regardless of platform, and once I become Ruler of the Universe I shall make it compulsory for everyone
  26. May 4, 2013
    The initial PC release had a tendency to crash, but that seems to be resolved by now. Besides that, Fez is about as good as you could expect: nice pixealart graphics, interesting and unique game mechanics and levels/puzzles that make it shine. And unless you plan on getting all the secrets, Fez is also rather short and easy, and I didn't really mind that, because...

...while the game is
    fine as it is, I did not feel like playing something memorable and there are acpects of the design that are simply bothersome. First there are those black hole things that block your movements. They are just annoying and in most cases reentering the level makes them dissapear. And this does not seem to be a bug. I am not really sure what is the point of having those obstacles, if I can just get rid of them and even if I don't, there does not seem to be any kind of reward for navigating around them.

Then there is the matter of traveling across larger distances in the world. The world itself is a bunch of interconnected levels with a few (like 5) hubs that allow instant travel between them. Also at the end of some of the levels there are small teleports that will get you to closest hub. So, travel between the hubs is fast and easy, but getting to the actual puzzle further away from the hub requires you to jump again through all the levels on the way. Which is as annoying as it sounds, if not more. I really wish that I could just get instantly to any level I have already been to.

Furthermore the retro 3-colored levels are pain to navigate and the world feels just incredibly empty. The village at the beginning is just filled with interesting NPCs, and there is a similiar one near the end of the game, but inbetween, all those locations feel just like puzzles with fancy props, devoid of any actual life. A bunch of reappearing NPCs throughout the world would help the immersion so much, but no luck thre either.

So, yeah, Fez does what was expected of it and does it well, but there is not much more beyond that, which is kinda shame. And yeah, there seem to be loads of secrets that might ramp up the playtime and difficulty considerably, but the game wasn't really that fun for me to bother with those.
  27. May 3, 2013
    It's a solid "Yet Another Indie Puzzle-Platformer", but it's puzzle design suffers from "Cleverer Than Thou" syndrome. Many puzzles rely entirely or mostly on the player's ability to figure out various alphabetic, numerical, or input code systems. The much-hyped perspective shifting gameplay doesn't really play out that much in the actual puzzle solving.

It is possible to complete the
    game without spending time on the cipher systems, if you feel like figuring out all the puzzles yourself. Full completion will most likely require consultation with GameFAQs.

Worth a buy if you're willing to deal with infrequent, albeit harmless crashes (unless you're on Intel hardware, in which case don't bother) and the biggest douchebag developer on the planet.
  28. May 5, 2013
    I've always had my eye on this game, and my expectations for it were extremely high. It is definitely an extremely fun and solid game. One of the best indie games in the market, and I'm not sure why there are so many players who hate it. The port itself is not horrible. I recommend that this game be played with a gamepad, simple because it was designed to be played with one. The atmosphere of the game is so colorful and vivid that playing it is such a pleasure. There are definitely some flaws, but I would rate this game a 9/10. Expand
  29. May 14, 2013
    I didn't get sucked in by the hype. This game is great. Music, retro graphics, puzzles... I haven't played anything this fun in ages. I bought the soundtrack and remix soundtracks for it too the music is a cracker.

If you've got $10, spend it on this and make up your own mind. Some gonna love it, some not; it's maybe not serious enough for the "pro's", but if you want a fun platformer
    with buckets of style, this will make you ooh, aah and giggle in equal measure.

Oh, and it can be damn frustrating. Just before you solve that next piece of the puzzle...

Well done, Polytron. More please.
  30. May 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm used to being long-winded about games, but this one left me speechless. Fez is the result of what felt like an eternity of work (though, admittedly, it was all programmed by one guy, whose story is told in part of the excellent documentary film, Indie Game: The Movie), and man, oh man, was it worth the wait! The audiovisual landscape in Fez is lush and beautiful; no two levels look or sound the same, and the sound and appearance of each world are beguilingly, inextricably linked. Many times, I found myself simply marveling at each new world as it came into focus. Fez is lax on cogent narrative structure, and many people will likely be turned off by the fact that it's essentially one long fetch-quest. Those people should safely be ignored. Fez will challenge your logical mind like no Zelda block-pushing puzzle ever has. It pushes you by presenting seemingly impossible tasks that have incredibly simple solutions. It never relies on your platforming ability alone (which is particularly nice because the controls are a little slippery sometimes), but rather asks you to figure out the simplest way to overcome an obstacle. I was often stuck for a solution to something for hours at a time before I would shift my perspective (quite literally) and finally have something click. Fez has themes akin to (and a denouement seemingly deliberately reminiscent of) 2001: A Space Odyssey and is as absorbing and worthy of a note-taking friend as Myst was all those years ago. Mysticism in games (no pun intended) has not lost its luster. Fez really made me think of self-determinism and internal structure in a whole new light; and yes, it's just as esoteric as it sounds, but it's not without its charm, either. My one and only true caveat for this game is a warning; purists beware, you're going to search online sometimes. I completed this game in its entirety in about fifteen hours, and I'd like to think I did an admirable job at puzzle solving for the most part. If you keep your eyes open and sharp, you'll find hints that will help you greatly. Let me say that again; greatly. All the same, some of these puzzles are so esoteric, you have to be a pretty-near obsessive person to hunt down some solutions. One of my favorites was a puzzle featuring two intermittently flashing lights. One Internet search later, I learned that I had to convert those lights into binary ones and zeros. Then, I had to change those digits to ASCII programming script. Yeesh! Other than that little adventure, the puzzles are head-scratchers without being so overwhelming. I highly recommend this game to anyone who's willing to feel a little stupid and awed at its awesome complexity. Expand

1. Jun 23, 2013
    A masterpiece by any measure. [July 2013, p.89]
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    A gorgeous puzzle-platformer that's both a treat for the eyes and a thorough workout for the mind. [July 2013, p.82]
    The variation of the broken-down elements of the game is such that, if you miss two or three of the dozens of screens of the game, you will have missed on something special and unique. [June 2013]