Fieldrunners 2 PC

7.4

1. May 1, 2016
    I only paid 2 dollars and 49 cents for this game, yet still I regret that I purchased this complete and utter shash.

Fieldrunners 2 is simply a terrible tower defense game in every single respect. Obviously aimed at mobile money markets with microtransactions removed for PC, this is definitely the worst tower defense game I've played in several years. Generic cartoony graphics don't even attempt to hide the lack of originality or character (but still somehow the game has long load times even on 2500k @ 4ghz, GTX 780, 16gb DDR3, and SSD). The levels, characters, and art design are generic flash TD fodder and have not a single iota of verve, originality, or even competence.

Seriously, I wonder if all the other products that this game rips off even realize it? For example I bet Valve doesn't realize that they stole the TF2 Heavy model and animations almost verbatim (plus the TF2 soldier model and anims, just to name two), and several other models and animations have been copied slavishly from other titles. There are almost no options in the game for anything whatsoever. As far as I can tell there is no hotkey to instantly restart a level, or to bring up the normal ESC menu with the normal options. Apparently you have to click on it, because if you hit ESC it instantly asks you if you want to quit the game. Clueless, greedy, incompetent mobile devs. Yuck.

Beyond the simplistic mobile approach and total lack of creativity, competency, or imagination, the worst failing of Fieldrunners 2 is that it's built entirely around the worst TD grind mechanics you can imagine, and they're all hidden invisibly underneath a layer of flash/mobile simplicity. The waves are seemingly endless, randomly thrown together without thought, and invisibly leveled in HP while still using the same models and animations, with no indication that the enemies are gaining massive amounts of HP. There is no "next wave" button or indication of what the next wave comprises. One of the earliest levels has 50, yes FIFTY equally boring and generic waves, most of which comprised identical looking enemies whose HP scaled invisibly up to the moon. Who likes that? Maybe someone on mobile who has never seen a tower defense game, but even then only for the first hour or two.

I get that the game sucks and grinds purely to drive microtransactions, but I rebel against this negative approach to game design. It creates enemies out of your customers and generally makes people hate you. -I- personally hate you, Subatomic Studios, for this game. You created an enemy out of me, and I will make sure to track your company in the future purely to avoid your products and warn people about how much you suck. This game should have never been released on PC, or anywhere. It is trash. Total, complete, and utter trash.
  2. Dec 12, 2015
    Bad PC game, no possible strategy because of the limited towers, limited evolution, lack of improvements, lack of variation, slow pace. This is a time waster good for a tablet, of no interest on PC.
  3. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is fun at first but goes from being fun to being absurdly hard. The AI for the towers is absolutely deplorable. After completing the first round of maps users must play old maps over to unlock more coins to unlock more powerful towers to get the job done. If I wanted to replay the same old stuff over and over and over and over again, I could play world of warcraft. It's hardlyThis game is fun at first but goes from being fun to being absurdly hard. The AI for the towers is absolutely deplorable. After completing the first round of maps users must play old maps over to unlock more coins to unlock more powerful towers to get the job done. If I wanted to replay the same old stuff over and over and over and over again, I could play world of warcraft. It's hardly worth the $.99 for the mobile versions and completely ridiculously priced on the PC at a whopping $10 US. There are better tower defense games out there that won't frustrate you to the point of wanting to punch a puppy. Collapse
  4. Jan 28, 2013

1. PC Gamer UK
    Mar 30, 2013
    Beguiles with its military polish and visual appeal. [Apr 2013, p.85]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    Fieldrunners 2 is one of the best tower defense on the market: fun, nice to play and challenging. However, the PC version in no way justifies the price, very high for a product too similar to version for mobile devices.
  3. Feb 20, 2013
    Fieldrunners is a great game that offers more Tower Defense fun, challenges and puzzles. The game looks great and the soundtrack is wonderful. You can drown for hours in this game.