7.8

1. Jan 12, 2013
    The first part of the game was great, second is just excelent, everything is done better, more towers more enemies more fun!!. Now there is nothing to do but wait for the Android version, if you like Tower Defense this is a mandatory purchase for you . Hope you will enjoy it as much as i do !!!
  2. Jan 12, 2013
    It can be hard to give just one rating to games that are in a divisive genre - in this case, tower defence games. If you've ever been confused about what it is people enjoy about stopping an inexorable flow of monsters using tower blocks, stop reading now - this game is a paragon of that genre, doing nothing much new, and it's highly unlikely that Fieldrunners 2 will change your mind. However, if you're receptive to TDs, this is definitely one of the best. It's polished to a fine sheen. The balance - that intangible thing that sets the good TDs aside from the great ones - is there. There's very little trace of its legacy on mobile platforms - the graphics are perfectly crisp at 1920x1080 and are colourful and well-animated. Obviously, you won't get Skyrim's sweeping panoramas on a series of one-screen maps, but it does what it needs to very attractively. The interface almost seems designed from scratch for PC (apart from a few very minor niggles, like the Esc button being "quit the game" rather than "deselect selected, or load the menu screen" which seems to be the PC default). On the downside, there's a very limited persistent upgrade system (ie gear you buy between rounds with cash you earn from beating levels). This is something many other TDs and games do, and it's something I personally miss. However, you probably know whether this is equally important to you or not.

Overall, it's definitely worth the purchase, and given the choice, I'd rather play it on a PC than on either a tablet or a mobile. And I suspect for many purchasers, that will be one of the major questions they'll be considering. At the end of the day, it can't get a 10 - it's not perfect, especially when the gameplay itself is somewhat limited compared to more complex games on the market currrently. But if you've tried and liked TDs in the past, definitely try this one.
  3. Jan 26, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of tower defense games and decided to pick this up on Steam. I hadn't played the first one.

It's a very polished game with high production values. The initial progression of unlocking towers is pretty fun, and the variety of map types is nice. The game isn't very balanced, though, so there isn't much strategy once you figure out the one way you can keep winning. Many of
    the towers are useless, and you'll find yourself sticking to a select few regardless of the game type or map layout. It takes ages to get enough coin to unlock additional towers, and by the time you've played enough to buy a couple of them there isn't much motivation to keep playing to get the rest.

It's missing features that would provide depth that are present in many other TD games - targeting priority, for instance. You can't tell your towers to focus on certain types of targets (usually - first, last, strongest are options) so you have to sit there hoping your better towers don't waste time shooting infantry when a strong helicopter is flying past them to the exit.

It also feels like it's trying way too hard to have personality in the loading screen messages when that doesn't carry over into the game at all.

I don't regret buying it (I ended up spending 20 hours on it before getting tired of it, and at $10 that isn't that bad) but I feel like it could have been much more.
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    I've played this game on the PC and the iPad3 and it is an assload of fun on both. This is definitely one of my favorite tower defense games since Plants vs Zombies. The learning curve is just right and keeps things challenging without getting discouraging; not an easy feat. Tinkering with my strategies with the variety of towers makes me want to try older levels with my new toys. Highly recommended. Expand
  5. Feb 11, 2013
    The Game itself is fine, The Graphics are Quite Ok for a Tower Game, it can prove Challenging and seeing that there was a new TD Game i got pretty excited, for nothing as i must now say.
    The Game itself is to simple, the towers are just upgraded based on Damage and are not much different in the way they attack. The game gives you nothing new and the looks, while Beautiful have not much
    Charm.
    The towers targeting is the worst ive ever seen Especially for the Slow Tower).
    If this would be free i would have rated it a bit higher, but since this costs 10€ and there are way better Tower Defense Games that are Free (Bloons TD5(Marvellous!), SAS TD(both from Ninjakiwi)) and have more individuality.
    In short: while i may say a lot of Negative stuff, the Games is nice to play and give you some fun over a few hours but it is just barely average, and considering how many free good TD's are out there that rating might even be to High, and i wouldn't suggest it to big TD fans.
  6. Jul 14, 2013
    At first you think this is just another generic TD game but it actually does offer some new additions to the genre. The game has different modes, some are survivor, some are timetrails and there are even puzzle levels, which gives the game a pretty varied feeling. Nice design on the towers, enemies and powerups, very fun. But there are some flaws, like the system for purchasing items to use, the coins you get thru completing levels is pretty slim and does not scale well with the prices in the shop. You can tweet the game or like their FB page for some "free" coins, but this just makes me feel like im playing some "f2p" TD on my phone and not a PC title. Also the levels are a bit to hard, even on the easiest difficulty the enemies become "bullet spunges" really fast, challenging but in a very frustrating way. But hey it's a pretty cheap game so i guess you get what you pay for. Expand
  7. Feb 25, 2013
    If you liked Fieldrunner, or are fan of the Tower Defence Genre this game is a must have. It has fixed path maps, open path maps, and open maps with fixed points, easily as wide a collection as defence grid(another great TD game). Has around 28 towers all with strength AND weaknesses, and much to my suprise are all very unique.Diffrent gameplay modes, difficulty levels for maps and having to unlock towers makes for countless more replay then the first. Around 20 hours to pass story on casual. Expand
  8. Jan 12, 2013
    Subatomic does it again! Get in on one of the Best Tower Defense Games out there. New towers to earn, New World Map, and New ways to play with classic gameplay and hours of entertainment! Check it out!
  9. Jan 17, 2013
    awsome game so simple to play but be warned as fieldrunners 1 soooo adictive hope to see a level editor soon you don't have to spend mega bucks to enjoy playing a great little game Fab keep em running
  10. Jan 18, 2013
    Its really nice you can get so many hours entertentment for so little money, if you think you can 3 star everything first time think again :) and you keep on playing un till you get 3 stars..
  11. Jan 20, 2013
    Fieldrunners 2 is a very good tower game, very challenging, fun and beautiful with various "weapon". But you have to unlock some special towers with coins, some of them cost more than 3 000 coins and you only gain something like 200 coins by map. This is damn too slow. With 30 hour of game i have unlocked only 2 "coins tower"...
  12. Jan 24, 2013
    Probably the best tower defense out there, the firts one was great this one is amazing and extremely hard (but fun). Maps go from super easy to super hard, and the level difficulty even for lower maps is also very challenging. One of my favorite games so far.
  13. Jan 26, 2013
    When writting a "review" I think the first thing is to be honest.
    So, yeah, the first couple of hours are fun.
    But after 4 hours this game is boring, the towers are to "simple" for some and totally useless for som others : "railgun", really ? It's just an useless "sniper". Flame thrower ? Useless too...
    Unlocking towers is boring and too expensive to make any point : you must replay
    every maps a dozen of time to get enough "coins" for a single high tower...
    The only god point is the different style of maps : classic, time trial and survival.
    And ths most boring thing : the ESCAPE KEY !! FFS !!! Why using this key to exit the game (and each time with a anoying alamr sound and a box to cancel wlicking on a red cross) ??? "Escape" means "Cancel" ! Not "ALT+F4" !!!
    Have you ever see an application when you press "Esc" it exit ???
    An other boring thing : all people on Earth are not ENGLISH PEOPLE !!! Why forcing the use of a QWZERY layout ??? WIth that you can't use 1 2 3 to select a tower ! Perhaps it's even more boring that the Esc key...
    At last : there is not even real bosses !!! o_O
    So, yes, the game is only 10
  14. Jan 27, 2013
    Super good game !!!!!!! ))))) i like Tower Defence)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0no rus version ((((
  15. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is fun at first but goes from being fun to being absurdly hard. The AI for the towers is absolutely deplorable. After completing the first round of maps users must play old maps over to unlock more coins to unlock more powerful towers to get the job done. If I wanted to replay the same old stuff over and over and over and over again, I could play world of warcraft. It's hardly worth the $.99 for the mobile versions and completely ridiculously priced on the PC at a whopping $10 US. There are better tower defense games out there that won't frustrate you to the point of wanting to punch a puppy. Expand
  16. Feb 3, 2013
    Very good game. Great new graphics! The best option in Tower Defense style. Enjoy!
  17. Feb 3, 2013
    Amazing Strategy Game! If you like Tower Defense you will like this one a lot! Beautiful graphics and very funny details! This Game can be very, very hard!
  18. Feb 10, 2013
    This one is very very addictive... I really recommend it... Still I do not understand the endless mode, and how these f.. runners are able to avoid all the towers and stay alive after level 200 but the game is real fun. I played with it on IPhone. It was a great pleasure to find it on Steam. Thanks guys.
  19. Feb 25, 2013
    Pretty good game, but the social media BS punishes players. This is a solid, fun tower defense game. Much like other TD games, it extends the longevity of the game with hard/expert modes. And that is where this game frustrates miserably. And in the worst scumbag way. In order to unlock the most powerful towers, very much needed to beat the game, you have to "like" or "tweet" the game, or even... give it a metacritic review.

This represents the worst kind of game distribution. I hate to be melodramatic, but I've rarely stumbled upon a game I PAID FOR that punished me for not using free to play mechanics. It's bad because honestly, had the game not included the three star difficulty I would have not noticed. But the clear attempts to manipulate and nearly extort players have turned me off to subatomic studios going forward.
  20. Jan 26, 2013

1. Mar 30, 2013
    Beguiles with its military polish and visual appeal. [Apr 2013, p.85]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    Fieldrunners 2 is one of the best tower defense on the market: fun, nice to play and challenging. However, the PC version in no way justifies the price, very high for a product too similar to version for mobile devices.
  3. Feb 20, 2013
    Fieldrunners is a great game that offers more Tower Defense fun, challenges and puzzles. The game looks great and the soundtrack is wonderful. You can drown for hours in this game.