8.7

1. Mar 17, 2016
    Game: Final Fantasy VII
    Genre: RPG
    Publisher/Developer: Squareenix/Squaresoft System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 93/100 Value Score: 9.3/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 9/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 10/10 • Replay Value: 7/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +The Steam port's resolution is higher than the PS1 versions and also
    Game: Final Fantasy VII

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 10/10
    • Replay Value: 7/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +The Steam port's resolution is higher than the PS1 versions and also fixes the glitches and errors of the original PC version
    +Ability to play in PS1 visual style or in Steam visual style (higher resolution)
    +Music has been patched to the PS1 version's OST rather than using the original PC version's OST which was remixed and unpopular
    +Achievements have been added
    +A Character booster is available for anyone to use to increase their HP and MP to the maximum 9999/999. It also boosts the amount of money/gil.
    +Cloud saves available not tied to the Steam server but Squareenix's online server
    +Some of the issues that the PS1 version and original PC version have been fixed such as a Mdef bug and the way chocobos are moved during in Chocobo farm

Cons
    -Black borders may appear if played in higher screen resolution however only during battles and in towns (there are no black borders in menu or world map)
    -Control manual and tutorials have not been updated and use the keyboard's instructions regardless of whether using a controller or not
    -Some sound effects may glitch out and keep on repeating or be cut off early (rare)
    -Cutscenes are in low resolution/standard PS1 resolution
    -FPS in battles are still 15 FPS, 30 FPS in world map/towns and 60 FPS in menu just like in the original PS1 version
  2. Apr 22, 2015
    I've been playing the re-released versions of FF since the gameboy advance days. This one is probably the best from 1-7. I has a great plot, great characters, great gameplay, and the materia customization mechanic was very enjoyable.

I advise using a guide because there are parts when they don't give you any clues about where to go next. I played to level 99 and beat the 2 super

I played to level 99 and beat the 2 super bosses just for fun. Took me 70 hours, cost $6 on sale. Highly recommend.
  3. Aug 16, 2013
    I just recently purchased this for nostalgia purposes and didn't even really think I could get back into the game after all this time. Well, I did. It feels good to be reminded that a great rpg just needs a great story. Its amusing to see how dated the graphics are, yet how intuitive the story telling techniques were. FF7 manages to tell a phenomenal story that is much better than most ofI just recently purchased this for nostalgia purposes and didn't even really think I could get back into the game after all this time. Well, I did. It feels good to be reminded that a great rpg just needs a great story. Its amusing to see how dated the graphics are, yet how intuitive the story telling techniques were. FF7 manages to tell a phenomenal story that is much better than most of the RPG's out nowadays that use the most advanced graphics, motion cap, and facial expressions to help deliver their story.
    The only reason I cannot give this game a 10/10, like I would it's PlayStation predecessor, is because of the smaller MIDI music files. It is rather minor at first, but certain songs from the game, such as Sephiroth's theme, were dramatically altered by the cheap quality and sound nothing like the original, which takes away from the original experience or mood the game had given.
  4. Sep 10, 2013
    Masterpiece, to me this will always be one of the best RPG of all time. When I saw it back on steam I had to purchase it and I will redo again for the 10th time this captivating story.
  5. Dec 31, 2014
    A good game that is very overrated mainly because it is an early 3D RPG available on consoles. You will notice that PC gamers will generally review this game lower because they had better games available to them even before this game was released. But console gamers thought this was revolutionary (it wasnt).

The game itself was slightly above average for its time. The fight system was

The game itself was slightly above average for its time. The fight system was the same as old turn based RPG's but they included full 3D summons that looked awesome at that time. The materia leveling system allowed for some character customization and beating the weapons was fun albeit required too much memorization rather than strategy.

The story is silly and I really did not like Cloud (at all) nor Sipheroth. I didnt like or dislike Aerith finding her too cliche. I especially hated the whiny Barret. Ultimately, I didnt form any attachment to the character and so I didnt care for the story either. Then again, FF games are all nonsense by design so this should not be a surprise. I do think this was better than FFIX and certainly miles better than X which irked me to no end (I wanted to kill the characters in that game). I did not like it as much as V, VI and it simply could not compete with RPGs on the PC, specifically, Daggerfall which was in a class of its own despite being 2 years older than FFVII (and was full 3D as well).

Good game.
  6. Jul 6, 2012
    I never played Final Fantasy 7 on the original PlayStation, as I didn't grow up with one. So, I wasn't able to enjoy it exactly as it was meant to be played. However, this port is great, despite common criticism. While the graphics are rather dated and the default controls can be awkward, investing in tweaking your controls to your fitting make playing this a much better experience. II never played Final Fantasy 7 on the original PlayStation, as I didn't grow up with one. So, I wasn't able to enjoy it exactly as it was meant to be played. However, this port is great, despite common criticism. While the graphics are rather dated and the default controls can be awkward, investing in tweaking your controls to your fitting make playing this a much better experience. I won't go too far into plot but I can say that it brings you in nicely and the characters are easy to connect with. Also, the combat system is very easy to figure out.

I should probably add that for a better experience, go to the Configuration program and do the following:
    1. Go to the Graphics tab
    2. Set the resolution to "640 x 480 16bpp (Full Screen)"
    3. Do NOT click the "NVIDIA" box
    4. Exit the Configuration program
    5. Run the game
    6. Start a new game, and as soon as you can, open the menu by pressing "+" on the numpad
    7. Go down to "Config" and open it with the "enter" key on the numpad
    8. Go down to "Controller" and hit the right button so it selects "Custom"
    9. Open it with enter
    10. Customize the controls to whatever you want, on you keyboard or on you gamepad (if you have one)

I hope this helps anyone playing this classic!
  7. Sep 11, 2013
    I remember playing this when it was first released. Boy did this game change things. JRPGs were already in the west, but it was this game that got the attention of even the most casual gamer.

For me, I had already been playing RPGs and JRPGs for a while but this game did change thing for me too. It made the RPG genre my favorite genre. FF 7 is not my favorite of the series, but I do

FF 7 is not my favorite of the series, but I do have a tremendous respect for what it is to the genre: A milestone.

At the time, the graphics were absolutely phenomenal, the music all timeless classics, the characters almost perfect in design. Gameplay and sheer amount of variety in activities and the openness of how you want to play.

So why didn't I score this higher? The plot. Don't get me wrong most of it is very good and is very well written, but some of the bigger parts are either extremely confusing or nonsensical (particularly the last section of the game and most of the plot surrounding Sephiroth. Sephiroth has got to be one of my all time favorite video game villains, and I really do feel the conclusion of the game does not give him respect he deserves, simplifying him to a supernatural Freudian case study.

Overall:
    Even with the few minor issues I had with this game, it is still a fantastic game worthy of the praise and admiration it receives. We can only hope that Square one day gives in and gives us the remake most of us are begging them to make.
  8. Jul 30, 2014
    Hands down the rpg that defined a generation! Awesomeness in every level. The replay value is also endless, seriously, from story to side quests to battle system. I still cant get enough.
  9. Sep 10, 2015
  10. Nov 6, 2014
    This is the best and most memorable game i have ever played, and everybody who loves RPG games will without doubt love this game.

Perfect music, great graphics (on PC version), lovely combat system, unforgetable characters, excellent gameplay and exciting materia system.

I must play this game again and again, because i miss the game every time im completing it!
  11. Mar 1, 2014
    Finally decided to play this for the first time and it was boring, gave up after some 20hr of gameplay. If you never played this game before I suggest to grab a guide otherwise you won't have any idea what to do (it is straightforward to some extent) since there are no notes or journal entry's or the like. Game was kinda disappointing since I heard many good things about the game, oh wellFinally decided to play this for the first time and it was boring, gave up after some 20hr of gameplay. If you never played this game before I suggest to grab a guide otherwise you won't have any idea what to do (it is straightforward to some extent) since there are no notes or journal entry's or the like. Game was kinda disappointing since I heard many good things about the game, oh well onto next one. Before I forget unless you are connected to the Internet (steam) you will have some slight save issues. Expand
  12. Oct 26, 2014
    People complain about the crappy MIDI sound files in this game and, while I do agree that they suck, the music has been fixed on the Steam version. So, what can I really say about this game? I admit, it's a bit overrated, but still one of the greatest games of all time. 10/10
  13. Oct 4, 2014
    REVIEW OF THE JULY, 2013 STEAM RELEASE

REVIEW OF THE JULY, 2013 STEAM RELEASE

Broken. An absolute do-not-buy. Updated to require registration with Square Enix. DRM a clear priority; actual function not even a consideration. Running in a Microsoft Windows environment, won't recognize Microsoft controllers (e.g., Xbox 360, Xbox One). Some Steam users report problems with buttons not working. Some users report being stuck at the title screen. I can't even reach the title screen; just a table of keyboard commands that doesn't respond to my controller OR keyboard. Not a port, but a dump. This version may run on antique Compaq Presario if you can find one, but then, Steam might not.
  14. Jul 22, 2014
    Its just best game off all time top 10 Yes its old, has no auto maps to help u, but u can find easy the way. Its normal they way u feel. Now we are playin games at great graphics and sound, but this game has the gameplay u cant find these days. Farmin can be a little borin, But an amazin story, cloud the best char ever with omnislash, great moves and extreme boss fights that makes it feelIts just best game off all time top 10 Yes its old, has no auto maps to help u, but u can find easy the way. Its normal they way u feel. Now we are playin games at great graphics and sound, but this game has the gameplay u cant find these days. Farmin can be a little borin, But an amazin story, cloud the best char ever with omnislash, great moves and extreme boss fights that makes it feel special. Have played when i was 17 years old, and finished it 2 3 times, and finally all 100 lvl chars, all moves and special weapons Expand
  15. Jul 7, 2014
    Okay, let's get this out of the way. It's a good game, just not necessarily great. It was the same for me back then, so I'm not complaining about graphics, or anything that isn't its own fault. I love the story, you're given very fleshed out characters. The story is quite good, but it's the difficulty of the game. Okay, I love Dark Souls, so I'm not a "filthy casual" as many say (butOkay, let's get this out of the way. It's a good game, just not necessarily great. It was the same for me back then, so I'm not complaining about graphics, or anything that isn't its own fault. I love the story, you're given very fleshed out characters. The story is quite good, but it's the difficulty of the game. Okay, I love Dark Souls, so I'm not a "filthy casual" as many say (but everyone's tastes are different, so there's no reason to call someone a "filthy casual" in the first place). The annoying part is the many points in the game where you must grind just to get to the boss, and then you can't beat the boss. And North Cave... OH NORTH CAVE IS ANNOYING! I accidentally used my Save Crystal too early and then saved, so I spend an hour to get to the area near Sephiroth, and then I'm killed by not even Jenova, I'm killed by a huge robot enemy that spams an attack that deals large damage to the entire party, and I just can't fathom what just happened. Overall, a good game, but unfairly difficult and annoying at times. Expand
  16. Jan 20, 2015
    German:
    Mega mega mega gutes Spiel! Das Spielprinzip, die Story, das Kampfsystem alles super! Die Musik geht gut ins Ohr, Noubu Uematsu ist einfach ein Genie! Die heutigen Final Fantasy Spiele sind im Vergleich dazu einfach nix! Sind zwar nicht schlecht, aber das hier ist VIEL besser.
    English: Nice game! The Gameplay, the story, the battleysystem is very nice! The music is a
    German:
    English:
    Nice game! The Gameplay, the story, the battleysystem is very nice! The music is a masterpiece. Nobou Uematsu is genius! The Final Fantasy games of today aren't bad, but this is MUCH better!
  17. Jul 19, 2016
    I am very dissapointed by this game. It is the best part of the Final Fantasy Series and everyone knows FF, so it should be a perfect game, on the same level like Gothic, Fallout, Baldurs Gate 2 and Morrowind. But in the end I only played until Junon, that means about 30% of the story. I played the steam edition with some graphics and sound mod.
    The gameplay has some major weaknesses:
    The gameplay has some major weaknesses: random encounters are annoying, because exploring the world is taking too long then. Sometime you dont know what to do next, although the game is linear. So you need a walkthrough. The manual is ridiculous and I remember it was a ugly trick by the industry to force you to buy the original walkthrough, that they printed. Today there are great online walkthroughs, so use them. I dont like the ATB System and prefer a classic round system, so it is a good idea to have an option in the game to change that, but somehow it didnt work properly, the enemies attacked me anyway, while I was scrolling through the menus. The controlls is of course a pain, because the game is coming from console and they didnt change the controlling.
    The story is well written in my opinion, I smiled about the political dialogs in the game, but some dialogs were unnecessary = just blabla. Some characters are onesided, especially Barret.

I read often this game had a great graphics for that time, so I think this game just was a graphic dazzler -> There are much better RPGs on PCs ;)
  18. Jan 2, 2017
    FF7 is a challenging, engaging, and relevant story told through the seemingly innocent lies of video game tropes and fiction. When I played FF7 for the first time as an older teenager in the late '90s, I didn't just play it, I lived it. I'm not sure if it's the best video game ever or not, but no other game has influenced who I am as a person as much as FF7 did.

I'm not a Final Fantasy

I'm not a Final Fantasy fan in general – too many cliché, campy JRPG game tropes and poor, shallow, and often recycled story telling themes intentionally obscured by contrived and otherwise pointless ambiguity as an artificial substitute for genuine intrigue and a compelling narrative. No, I just like FF7 for what it has to offer beyond what all the other FF games do. In a word, substance. The realization of FF7 was a bold, groundbreaking, original, and risky endeavor that resulted in a phenomenal triumph, the likes of which the industry has been too talentless, cowardly, and greedy to replicate since.

The current Steam reissue has some silly account marketing crap to navigate through on initial setup, but is still very much worth getting for the FF7 content in all of its classic goodness.

This game is a definitive masterpiece and a necessity for any connoisseur or collector of this art medium.

Bask in the glory that is FF7 and enjoy!

There are no critic reviews yet.