7.5

1. Oct 2, 2010
    This game was my introduction to MMOs and as many I came to it simply because I was a fan of the series. I have to say I do not regret getting it and playing it for nearly 4 years. I made many friends and had so many great nights and moments. This game is a "hardcore" MMO done right.
  2. May 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I tried this game upon recommendation from a friend

I have played lots of MMO's and my friend literally waxed lyrical on how good this game was so when the game became available for 9.99 on steam for the game with all the expansions i bit the bullet and bought it. After going through the ridiculously over complicated system of signing up for a account i logged into the game made a character (warrior class) and tried to get into the game. The first disappointment for me was the overcomplicated and terribly unfriendly User Interface.I bought the game without a instruction booklet from steam so imagine my dismay at the lack of a in game help search!!!! There is a help desk to contact customer services but no in game help searchable database ? The whole menu system didnt make any sort of sense to me or flow at all. The very fact you seem to have to use a keyboard for everything didn't help me to bond with the game......The graphics were terribly blocky (even after maxing the settings) i did do a search in google and made some registry tweaks to make it run on a wide-screen resolution which helped a lot (but should a user have to do this to make a game work ?). Levelling in game seems to take a age which isnt a bad thing and but after fighting one monster / foe you need to rest for 2 to 3 un-needed waste of minutes meditating to gain your health back to be able to attack again. I have tried to like this game for my friends sake but maybe the fact i have been spoilt by other MMO's or just the fact that i have given up due to sheer frustration , has left me with a bitter taste towards this game and the time and money i have wasted on it. I would recommend this game for die hard fans of the final fantasy genre only.
  3. Nov 13, 2012
    I have played FFXI in the past off and on for 3 years. 70 Beastmaster 70 Blue mage and something else that escapes me but its unimportant. I think that its almost a crime for this to be sold on steam for $20.00. This game is outdated in almost every way. Additionally The shots in the steam screenshot will more than likely never be seen by anyone new to this game as I suspect the contentI have played FFXI in the past off and on for 3 years. 70 Beastmaster 70 Blue mage and something else that escapes me but its unimportant. I think that its almost a crime for this to be sold on steam for $20.00. This game is outdated in almost every way. Additionally The shots in the steam screenshot will more than likely never be seen by anyone new to this game as I suspect the content is max level which takes months to be able to get near it and more months to actually do all of the other stuff you will have needed to finish to get there. I rate this game with a low score only because it may prevent someone today from wasting money. This game was decent when it came out and for a few years after but now most everyone has been playing for years and will be unlikely / unwilling to help you catch up as it is literally years of content. There is a HUGE learning curve and after a certain point you need a party or at least a few key people playing certain classes for anything and everything. Including level caps that require quest/boss encounter to continue leveling every ten levels after a point. This game is immensely time consuming but also very reward when you do complete something minor. Speaking of classes while there are a ton of classes you are pretty much pigeonholed into something /nin or /sam etc because thats the only way people will party with you. Oh you havent unlocked those jobs yet? sorry another few weeks of play for you. This game is memorably punishing as well. The horrible noise it makes when you delevel away hours of work in two deaths is unforgettable. I had many a grand time playing this game back a few years ago but that is where this game should stay... in the past. It launched on PS2 for goodness sake. Expand
  4. Sep 7, 2013
    Oh my Final Fantasy XI what can I say, it is the first MMO I truly fell in love with. As all my reviews with MMO’s start out the same as I’ve been playing MMO most all my life and they are my favorite type of game to play. As this review is being done on 9/7/2013 that’s how I’ll be looking at the game as it stands now. I’m still currently subscribed to FFXi and really have no plains ofOh my Final Fantasy XI what can I say, it is the first MMO I truly fell in love with. As all my reviews with MMO’s start out the same as I’ve been playing MMO most all my life and they are my favorite type of game to play. As this review is being done on 9/7/2013 that’s how I’ll be looking at the game as it stands now. I’m still currently subscribed to FFXi and really have no plains of unsubscribing even with FFRR out now. I’ve been playing since the game was first released on PS2 and took a year or two off around 2005 because of a move. The game itself is really in a category of its own when it comes to MMO’s there is really nothing else quite like it out there. It still has a decent community and it’s one of the strong points of the game, people are extremely friendly and helpful. The game will defiantly require you to search the internet A LOT, this is a true adventure that will not hold your hand and tell you where to go. The game itself is much different then is was a few years ago due to game tweaks and changes done by SE in an attempt to appeal to a larger audience. However even with the leveling difficulty dialed back a little this is still a very hardcore mmo make no mistake about it. Game maps are just maps and don’t have any kind of way point system even when doing quests or missions. Quest/mission logs are simple in comparison to today’s MMO quest tracking. Combat is stats based, but I find the animations and combat very enjoyable. Graphically the game looks good for being over 10 years old now, but get the pc version it’s by far the best. Let me be honest I’m very biased when it comes to this game; like I said before it’s the first MMO I really fell in love with. With that being said it defiantly will only appeal to a select audience due to the nature of the game. I find it very enjoyable and rewarding when I complete something in the game due to the high challenge of the game. I’ve also made some great friend through FFXI that I still play with today. In closing is a 10 out of 10 for me any day of the week and I’ll most likely hold a memorial service in it’s honor is SE ever shuts it down. My best advise to anyone joining is be social, ask questions any of the severs have a great hardcore friendly community willing to help new people out. If your not social this is not the game for you as missions and quest require parties. Expand
  5. Dec 29, 2011
    The entire game is held back by its console heritage. It's far too grindy. Only hardcore fans of JRPGs can find this garbage fun. If my friend hadn't bought it for me, I wouldn't have even tried it. Thankfully he had another friend that wanted the account because after 16 hours I couldn't bring myself to double click the launcher.
  6. Nov 13, 2011
    game did not age well.. boring and a huge time sink.. Other players have been playing for years and so it is hard to find people who want to group with a new player.. the fact that the game still requires a monthly subscription and looks like it comes from the 90s lead to the low score.

I grew up with final fantasy and have played many mmos and this is by far one of the overall weakest mmos still running.. does not deliver a good value in terms of time or money spent.
  7. Sep 24, 2013
    I had expected this game very much. Because this game is series of Final Fantasy (FF) that is a very popular and famous video game. And I really like Final Fantasy series. But, my hope was betrayed when I played FF 11. FF 11 is very tedious and dull. And the story of FF 11 is also very thin. This game has neither excitement nor impression that ever has FF series.

The components of the

The components of the stories called "Mission" or "Quest" are very troublesome and monotonous chores. For example, some of those collect items that enemies drop. But enemies rarely drop them. So, players must continue to fight same enemies in a same place. It is very dull.

Level of player is hard to rise around after player reaches to level 10. Because experience points that player can get decline little by little. So player feel it tedious. First of all, the battle system of this game is long and monotonous. Additionally, experiment points we can get are small. Therefore it must be a pain.

Cities and fields are very wide unnecessarily. Dungeons are complicated unnecessarily too. Additionally, moving speed of player is very slow.

Player is forced to do some time-consuming chores. For instance, player must write how to unite items very much. If player avoids it, Player must suffer from money, items, and his own weakness.

In now, A.D. 2013, Final Fantasy 11 is thinly populated. So this game cannot work as MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game).

This game has many malfunctions. For example, at a certain mission, player is said that "Get an item that a bat drops". Player cannot get any detailed information. But, there are many kinds of bat in this game. Player can get the item when player killed only a specified kind of bat. Furthermore, the kind of bat appears only at night. Thus, so many players cannot get the item. This game has many faults like it.
  8. Nov 14, 2014
    I stopped playing when Abyssea came out, not my cup of tea. I've since returned and am really enjoying the quality of life improvements. You can now use "Trust Npc's" and your adventure buddy to make a party of five that exceeds the quality of any casual party I've been in. As a solo player with these npc's I can fight Incredibly Tough mobs and get proper xp. If you have or make evenI stopped playing when Abyssea came out, not my cup of tea. I've since returned and am really enjoying the quality of life improvements. You can now use "Trust Npc's" and your adventure buddy to make a party of five that exceeds the quality of any casual party I've been in. As a solo player with these npc's I can fight Incredibly Tough mobs and get proper xp. If you have or make even one human friend you can have a full party. I also appreciate the ease of travel now with the ability to teleport among home point crystals and survival guides including the past and bcnm zones. I even have a warp ring now that never runs out of charges so I don't have to sub /blm or beg for a warp2. I've turned my level 60 AF gear into level 109 reforged gear and I can solo a campaign battle with it on (the entire enemy force). Trusts work in campaign also, btw. I have yet to try Adoulin content, but even without it I am pleased. Come back and play during the free time and/or get the package discount they're offering. I wish more MMO's genuinely cared about their product. If you're new, come to Carbuncle server and I'll party with / help you. I'm a big ugly galka named Larodar. Expand
  9. Aug 7, 2011
    One of the best mmorpg i played (and i played a lot of them).
    The graphics are old now (a game launched in 2001)... and a game that not everyone will like...
    One of the best mmorpg i played (and i played a lot of them).
    But the variety of gameplays are one of the most wide there was in a mmorpg (fishing, gardening, craft, fights, chocobo races,...ect....ect...). Many gameplay ideas was very creative/original when it was launched... and some are still today.

I see 2 major points that could be very negative for some players : - It's a strongly team oriented mmorpg. At some level it become nearly impossible to play solo.
    - you can't move freely in the world. Some areas are composed in majority of corridors (external areas i mean)... you can't fall from a hill or a bridge...ect...ect...

There will be plenty more things to say on this game... but to conclude and resume, i'll say :
    FFXI is a definitly not Mainstream mmorpg.
    It seem logic to me that most players will love it... or hate it
  10. Jan 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The purpose of this review is to shed a little light as to what a new player will face if they ever decide to join the FFXI community. Take note that this user review is currently up-to-date with post Abyssea, current main endgame, events.

First of all, this game is NOT new player friendly. Alot of times new players will be happily grinding their way to level 10 then it gets epic boring grinding. I don't know how new players are suppose to know this but, the current trend is to join a fields of valor tome burn party. On the good side, at least these tome burn parties are way faster than the conventional experience grind parties.

So lets say that a new player flags his party request icon, post a little party request "/seacom", search comment. message and gets a private message to join an tome burn party at x location. Well chances are, that new players will have no idea where its at. Unlike other MMO's the maps of FFXI are not player friendly at all. The NPC's, non-playable characters, do not give directions to locations, nor is there any conventional game implementation to direct players to a certain area, you know like a big arrow that hovers your head pointing you to go there. The best way to get to an area that you have no idea is at is to either, explore the entire world or ask around and hope that you find a player that speaks English and is willing to show you.

Another major deterrent that runs wild in FFXI is progression. This covers a wide area of things from mission progression to level cap increases and quest. When it comes to mission progression such as Chains of Promethia, Rise of Zilart, Treasures of ?? Whitegate, etc. new players will find it extremely difficult to find members willing to rerun those missions because they yield very little rewards and some take very long to complete. I would also like to mention that because FFXI has a very low new player join rate, there aren't that many people who would be likely to join. The same idea goes for level cap quest, these quest increase your level cap from 50-55-60-65-70-75-80-85-90-95-99. Personally I think that some level cap quest are just unnecessarily long and some of them require you to either have good gear.

If you ever reach Abyssea, most of your time will be spent joining pick-up-groups (PUG) for seals and +2 items, for gear upgrade. The rest of your time you either spend leveling a new job or sitting around in Port Jenuo reading other people's shouts. I would recommend doing some Chains of Promethia so you can have access to Dynamis, the old endgame. Only thing worthly in Dynamis is a few pieces of gear, dynamis currency which is used towards relic items, and forgotten currencly which is used for +2 relic armor.
  11. Aug 13, 2012
    wasted alot of my life on this game but not alot alot! like some of the virgins on this game. The people on this game really ruined the game for me. they where such low life losers but other then that the game was good when it was out DONT EVER BUY IT NOW!
  12. Mar 1, 2011
    With the advent of Abyssea, as well as experience being roughly doubled in non-Abyssean areas, experience points flow like spice and it no longer takes months to get a job to the level cap, it could be done in mere weeks. A lot of the past complaints seen in people's reviews have been fixed. Monsters do not immediately attack after spawning, instead having several seconds of "summoningWith the advent of Abyssea, as well as experience being roughly doubled in non-Abyssean areas, experience points flow like spice and it no longer takes months to get a job to the level cap, it could be done in mere weeks. A lot of the past complaints seen in people's reviews have been fixed. Monsters do not immediately attack after spawning, instead having several seconds of "summoning sickness" where they will not attack, giving you time to get away. No, the graphics are not as shiny as other MMOs. Yes, there is a sharp learning curve when it comes to the game. It doesn't matter, because FFXI is for a breed of relentless gamer that will pursue everything they can.

... and just because the level cap is higher and more people get there faster doesn't mean the game is easier. Level 90 people STILL fail at Dynamis, die at the hands of certain Notorious Monsters, or just plain get whomped on for overestimating themselves.

It's taken some time, but all those changes we wanted? We're getting - and it took long enough.
  13. Jul 9, 2012
    In my humble opinion, this MMORPG is the best in its genre...the finest ever released. The story line is extraordinarily engaging, the character controls are right on target, and the player community is exceptional. My major problems with other titles in this MMO genre are the clumsy controls that demand rapid button mash techniques...the cheesy and highly contrived art direction...andIn my humble opinion, this MMORPG is the best in its genre...the finest ever released. The story line is extraordinarily engaging, the character controls are right on target, and the player community is exceptional. My major problems with other titles in this MMO genre are the clumsy controls that demand rapid button mash techniques...the cheesy and highly contrived art direction...and the unsatisfying lore that lies just beneath the glossy surface of monotonous gameplay. This game shines in these areas, and also provides a player experience that allows for truly symbiotic relationships between party members...where timing and skill do factor in as necessary components and result in a truly rewarding MMO experience. The genre might have grown a bit past its prime...but if you are truly looking for the "best of the bunch", pick this title up and try it out. There is nothing wrong with playing a tried and true classic, especially if it is FF11! Expand
  14. Z
    Feb 11, 2010
    I don't know about many others, but I have played FFXI since 2004 and I've seen just about everything you can see in the game. The game started out slow, thankfully having friends to play with that I can talk to helps out a lot when you can team up to do partying. The end game starts out very brutal to people new to it. It makes the victory all the better. The game is a very I don't know about many others, but I have played FFXI since 2004 and I've seen just about everything you can see in the game. The game started out slow, thankfully having friends to play with that I can talk to helps out a lot when you can team up to do partying. The end game starts out very brutal to people new to it. It makes the victory all the better. The game is a very rewarding experience if you have the time to play it. Which I know many people could not devote to it due to other responsibilities. I've tried many Mmos since to see if there was anything that could take me away, and WoW had my attention while I was playing final (Yes dual boxed in both games at times) for about 4 months before I got a character up to 77 and then got bored with it. I also have many other 60 + but the game never really grabbed me. Nor did any of the other mmo's I had played. My point is FFXI is a good game to play if you do have someone to play with you or at least get footing in the game with, yes it is a grind but so is any other game to get good at it. The only real complaint I hear even from people that play the game is lack of pvp, and it's understandable seeing what it could possibly turn into with the auto translating problem as well. Otherwise for the game being as old as it is, it's still a well made game that is enjoyable and still very rewarding to newer players. Expand
  15. ChrisH.
    Oct 30, 2003
    Awesome, thats it just plain Awsome...
  16. JonM.
    Mar 9, 2004
    It is a masterpiece of gaming.
  17. JustinB.
    Mar 13, 2010
    I bought this game with all expansions for only $7 and I feel totally ripped off. The PlayOnline system you have to use is clunky and annoying, and takes far too long to get setup, and has annoying music that can't be stopped. The Game itself has horrendous graphics, bad controls, and virtually no configurable options. This is the worst game I have ever played in my life, and I feel I bought this game with all expansions for only $7 and I feel totally ripped off. The PlayOnline system you have to use is clunky and annoying, and takes far too long to get setup, and has annoying music that can't be stopped. The Game itself has horrendous graphics, bad controls, and virtually no configurable options. This is the worst game I have ever played in my life, and I feel totally ripped off. Expand
  18. JackT.
    Dec 1, 2003
    PERFECT!!!! If you can't escape a beast, just CHECK it before the fight.
  19. Justin
    Dec 1, 2003
    FFXI is a solid, beautiful MMORPG set in an FF setting. My only real gripes with the game are that it lacks any sort of PVP element and some battle areas have a disjoint mix of very hard and very weak enemies (and there's not enough slots to sell stuff at the Auction House). Note: it is possible to change your keyboard settings - it's in Settings ingame.
  20. Aaron
    Oct 30, 2003
    A solid effort, just don't set your standards too high because this game doesn't re-invent the genre. Just because you might like other FF games doesn't mean you'll like this one; it's totally different.
  21. MaxC.
    Feb 5, 2004
    Boring.
  22. AlanL.
    Mar 9, 2005
    This is the best MMORPG around, and its soooo under rated.
  23. KillaK.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Best game ever made IMHO. Still keeps me entertained after 3 years.
  24. jackattack
    May 31, 2009
    Tried it in 2003, not too bad. played white mage and bard to around 40. then i tried it again in later 2008. my god almost nothing has changed in 5 years. how is that possible? if anyone has read the developer interviews, they refused to change anything that would "make it too easy." what in gods name is enjoyable about being raped by a reskinned lizard. yeah, the community is nice, but Tried it in 2003, not too bad. played white mage and bard to around 40. then i tried it again in later 2008. my god almost nothing has changed in 5 years. how is that possible? if anyone has read the developer interviews, they refused to change anything that would "make it too easy." what in gods name is enjoyable about being raped by a reskinned lizard. yeah, the community is nice, but the absolute refusal to make improvements to the game is what turned me off. i mean those developers were jerks about it too, they wouldn't even consider changes. Expand
  25. DavidD.
    Nov 30, 2003
    I enjoy being able to use different kinds of classes and a large varity of weapons/armor/magic/ect. And the world is beautifully made.
  26. Mike
    Nov 3, 2003
    Final Fantasy XI looks nice and has some cool features. There are some things that holds it back. The low level hunting areas are always camped, a free for all that would try anyone's patience. The penalty for death is steep, especially losing a level on a death. This is made more glaring by the difficulty running away from a fight, it seems that the creature will follow you for Final Fantasy XI looks nice and has some cool features. There are some things that holds it back. The low level hunting areas are always camped, a free for all that would try anyone's patience. The penalty for death is steep, especially losing a level on a death. This is made more glaring by the difficulty running away from a fight, it seems that the creature will follow you for miles. The interface and keyboard config is very difficult to get used to. It appears that there is no way to reconfig your keyboard to the way you like either, i would LOVE to be corrected on this one. All that aside, FF XI looks and sounds good. The gameworld feels enormous how enormous remains to be seen. Battle is a solid experience minus the inescapability and you feel accomplished when you level as it is not easy or short. The integrated auction feature that allows players to put up items for auction while attending to other things is ingenious. The gameworld never feels empty as there are constantly players around and on the go. While things may seem awefully crowded a lot of the time, a decent computer setup won't even blink at the load even at high resolutions. The wheel was not reinvented with Final Fantasy XI, but it sure provides a smooth and entertaining ride. Expand
  27. JONM.
    Nov 6, 2003
    I love it. better than all others.
  28. RogerM.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Worst interface I've seen in years. Very user-hostile (-3 points). Console level graphics (ie very poor, low res, low poly). On large monitors every thing is blurred. In game visibility is very low, with objects being largely just blobs at 10+ virtual yards. This is with every game provided graphic setting maxed (-1 point). Combat system painfully boring (-1 point). The no-return Worst interface I've seen in years. Very user-hostile (-3 points). Console level graphics (ie very poor, low res, low poly). On large monitors every thing is blurred. In game visibility is very low, with objects being largely just blobs at 10+ virtual yards. This is with every game provided graphic setting maxed (-1 point). Combat system painfully boring (-1 point). The no-return policy (due to the one register and you're out scheme used) is a big negative as well (-2 points). I'd have to agree with a previous poster, all the glowing reviews have to be due to the name on the box. Expand
  29. AmjadZ.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Hi, i'm one of the players of Final Fantasy XI,she's a fantastic game!,iwould vote to it as the finest game i've ever seen,thank you!
  30. Keiva
    Dec 23, 2003
    Well even if other poeple don't like this game i do. for all you ff freak's out there this game is a must. And if you like Star War's better then maybe you should just keep playing that instead.^^ See ya on Diablos^^
  31. Ace
    Dec 25, 2003
    This game is as close to perfect as any PC game can come. Its constant updates will keep the game interesting for years to come. And to roger m., he OBVIOUSLY has a cheap video card and takes out his poor financial state like so...
  32. MattJ.
    Dec 3, 2003
    I think that this game deserves a 10 because it's the first out of the series to be online and it wasn't forced out quickly just because they wanted it to be out. They actually put some thought into the game, and it's well designed and just a great game to play =)
  33. Lightshade
    Dec 9, 2003
    The user-interface takes some getting used to, but the game itself is polished, bug-free, lag-free, and because it's been out for a year in Japan, it's fleshed out with content. The one aspect that sets FFXI above other MMORPGs is the skillchain system that can be used at higher levels.
  34. ScottG.
    Oct 31, 2003
    This game rules. It's what I would expect from Square. I'm Squares #1 fan.
  35. AaronC.
    Jan 1, 2004
    Mage's are col, cat people rule, whoever hates this game has to be a fool... Nice rhyme, huh 8O coolvile dadio (all cool like).
  36. PatrickP.
    Feb 13, 2004
    I play it constantly...Its really good....I have 15 days playtime on it so far.
  37. WiredA.
    Feb 16, 2004
    I love how the low posts concentrate on graphics. I won't even get into the fact that you just might need a better computer. I'll agree with the difficulty to get your money back for playing, except for the free month. In addition, every MMORPG is this hard to stop playing. Anyway, This game is SO much more than graphics. Its got so much team efforts going around, there is no I love how the low posts concentrate on graphics. I won't even get into the fact that you just might need a better computer. I'll agree with the difficulty to get your money back for playing, except for the free month. In addition, every MMORPG is this hard to stop playing. Anyway, This game is SO much more than graphics. Its got so much team efforts going around, there is no comparison. The gameplay FAR supersedes any flaw you may think it has with graphics. Expand
  38. AxSa
    Feb 9, 2004
    It's very good.
  39. ShawnBurkevich
    Jan 7, 2005
    I have always been a fan of the Final Fantasy franchise, and curious of the MMORPG subculture, where even the most normal and very intelligent lose touch with the world outside their 17" LCD monitors. Sooo, Final Fantasy XI was my highly anticipated opportunity to regress into my own computer screen. Initially it was fun (<30 hrs gameplay), but it became tiresome and routine soonI have always been a fan of the Final Fantasy franchise, and curious of the MMORPG subculture, where even the most normal and very intelligent lose touch with the world outside their 17" LCD monitors. Sooo, Final Fantasy XI was my highly anticipated opportunity to regress into my own computer screen. Initially it was fun (<30 hrs gameplay), but it became tiresome and routine soon thereafter. It takes an incredible amount of time to level, missions are extensive but rewards are lacking, and monsters are mockingly repetitive. MMORPGs have incredible potential, but they do not cater to the occasional gamer, they are stricly for the hardcore (>28 hrs gameplay/week), all the best to you if you wish to devote yourself to hardcore gaming endeavors, but don't waste your life on FFXI. Expand
  40. AxelG.
    Jul 31, 2006
    this game is the most amzing game ever they did somin grate still a bit repetitive but still amazing if i only could play it right now i woould be on 24 freaking 7.
  41. TimH.
    Apr 23, 2007
    Not only a fantastic endeavor of gorgeously detailed graphics and strategic gameplay, but a true success in terms of multiplayer comradely. Time consuming as it is, you won't feel like a seconds been wasted after playing it. If you want a tactical, fun, and vastly open-ended game, look no further. FFXI allows the complete game experience to any one character!
  42. JoshuaF
    Nov 15, 2009
    let me just state that i love this game. I have played it on and off since the release date I own it on the PC and Xbox 360 and i love the community. It is not a WoW game You need to form a party to level up once you hit 11-13 or you are in for a long haul. Great game and I wont stop playing it unless FF14 is as great as i think it will be.
  43. AndreyS.
    Dec 5, 2009
    I have played FFXI for about 2 years. The Game does not run above 30FPS no matter how good your PC is. The game is very time consuming and requires 2-3 people to accomplish anything minor and 6-8 for anything more serious. There is a lot of cultural diversity on the servers with Japanese, French, German, British, South and North American players. Japanese players usually want nothing to I have played FFXI for about 2 years. The Game does not run above 30FPS no matter how good your PC is. The game is very time consuming and requires 2-3 people to accomplish anything minor and 6-8 for anything more serious. There is a lot of cultural diversity on the servers with Japanese, French, German, British, South and North American players. Japanese players usually want nothing to do with English speakers so forget asking for help from them. Square Enix is working on FF XIV online which will basically be the same game except more WoW-like. In 2 years I was able to level 3 Jobs to LvL75 as well as about 6-8 subjobs to 37. Completed Chains Of Promathia, almost completed Rise Of Zilart and Completed Aht Urgan Missions as well as nation missions. All with a LOT of help. If you plan making any progress in this game, you HAVE to make A LOT of friends. Good Luck. Expand
  44. BenM
    Sep 29, 2009
    Bought it in 2005 and played for 3 years straight, retired a little over a year now
  45. BarisA.
    Nov 18, 2003
    It is the best game I ever played!!!!
  46. DanielO.
    Nov 21, 2003
    Best online game EVER!!! is there anything more to say?
  47. RebeccaD.
    Nov 23, 2003
    The best MMO since AC. Only forced grouping after level 10 drops the score from a ten.
  48. AngeredPlayer
    Nov 29, 2003
    Haven't played a final fantasy game that was worst than this since Mystic Quest. The battle system needs work, if this game wasn't called final fantasy most people would recognize the many errors that are encountered. The battle system is the most irritating part of this game, don't bother running away, monsters will hit you no matter how far you run; I know this fromHaven't played a final fantasy game that was worst than this since Mystic Quest. The battle system needs work, if this game wasn't called final fantasy most people would recognize the many errors that are encountered. The battle system is the most irritating part of this game, don't bother running away, monsters will hit you no matter how far you run; I know this from experience as i see players wiped out from monsters that appear right next to them from out of nowhere. Annoying instances you will also encounter are monsters that will appear from nowhere as you are resting, some will even appear during a current battle, usually resulting in a death if you are too weakened to fight. I agree that this game is beautifully created, but what's more important, a good solid bug free gameplay or pretty graphics with battle glitches that you pay for every month? Expand
  49. BerticusRex
    Nov 3, 2003
    First, the graphics are beautiful, and there are good low performance options if you can't handle all the high performance ones. The economy is innovative with an auction system, always-accesible player bazaars, and lots of balance it seems so far; you don't have an tough time getting gear and spells from the get go like in some other MMOs. As far as the server blunder, I think First, the graphics are beautiful, and there are good low performance options if you can't handle all the high performance ones. The economy is innovative with an auction system, always-accesible player bazaars, and lots of balance it seems so far; you don't have an tough time getting gear and spells from the get go like in some other MMOs. As far as the server blunder, I think Square made a mistake with the World Pass system. I also thought that having nonsegregated servers would be a mistake because level 70 Japanese players would run every server. But that isn't true. They're mostly very nice, and you can occasionally get to group with one who is building up their advanced class. Finally, what I see Square doing is it is combining the most popular elements of each highly successful online RPG to date. From UO there is quasi-housing, or Mog Houses, point based skill advancement that seems to be a combination if EQ/UO with both skill levels and points, and a nice transportation system that seems very very cool - airships, chocobos, awesome! From EQ there is, of course, level based advancement, a very group conducive hunting system, a similar spell system, and hopefully big boss fights. And from DAoC there is RvR competition (not combat at least, yet). As far as Square's own innovations, I think the job system with subclasses, advanced jobs, and support classes is a great original innovation. And I'm sure there is more. Square has, once again, unsurprisingly, delivered. Best series ever + Best genre ever has to lead to something good :) Expand
  50. AndrewB.
    Nov 5, 2003
    * Smooth launch. * High quality. * Standard (tried and true) game mechanics. Probably one of the best put-together MMPs out there.
  51. MikeN.
    Nov 6, 2003
    It's pretty and well animated. But in a genre that desperately needs new gameplay ideas, it doesn't have any. The same ol', same ol' with a lousy interface.
  52. MeMoi
    Oct 17, 2003
    Greatest game ever made!!!!!
    Dec 2, 2003
    In the beginning.. the game lags... but as you gain exp... it slowly gets more and more interesting... give it time and it WILL grow on you... I love it now...
  54. Senshi
    Dec 8, 2003
    This game rocks, who ever the joker is that gave it a 5 is stupid, he must not know how to SKILLCHAIN!!!!!!!!! Skillchaining is were its at folk the explosions and magic burst are cool, and you get a good group you wouldnt have to run away!!!!
  55. JackF.
    Mar 13, 2004
    Complex game that will drive the some idiots back to FPS where they belong. If people can't figure out the keyboard, then maybe they should quit using computers hehe.
  56. AnavlisandRellima
    Mar 15, 2004
    I compare it to Asheron's Call that I played for four years. FFXI graphics is much better. It actually looks like I'm watching an anime cartoon on TV (gotta have the right vid card to experience that). That took it to a vote of 11, however, the interface is terribly keyboard controlled instead of ez-click-mouse-action (-2). The critters are very much turn-based and not much of a I compare it to Asheron's Call that I played for four years. FFXI graphics is much better. It actually looks like I'm watching an anime cartoon on TV (gotta have the right vid card to experience that). That took it to a vote of 11, however, the interface is terribly keyboard controlled instead of ez-click-mouse-action (-2). The critters are very much turn-based and not much of a variety to choose from -up to tedious leveling to level 10 (-1). The music, battle sounds and action sounds stinks and I keep speakers off (-1). as an adult player, I would give it another -1 for being so childish (no blood and guts, pain and fear) just a smiling face hitting the ground and disappearing. It seems like a cute game for kids only. For us hardened gamers though it's not much of a thrill other than watching pretty crystal synthesis and say "oops it failed" :) I will stick with it a bit longer before I fall back to my beloved action packed Asheron's Call. Expand
  57. ShawnB.
    Sep 25, 2004
    If the game seems fast but the graphics aren't good enough for you, go ahead and turn up the settings even higher. Click on the windows Start button, Programs, PlayOnline, FINAL FANTASY XI, FINAL FANTASY XI Config. The only option you need to change is the Background Resolution which changes the quality of both the characters and terrain. My game graphics went from pixelated to crisp If the game seems fast but the graphics aren't good enough for you, go ahead and turn up the settings even higher. Click on the windows Start button, Programs, PlayOnline, FINAL FANTASY XI, FINAL FANTASY XI Config. The only option you need to change is the Background Resolution which changes the quality of both the characters and terrain. My game graphics went from pixelated to crisp just by changing that one setting. Expand
  58. SpenserDavis
    Dec 12, 2007
    the gameplay is great, with a good system the graphics are beautiful, and the only issue there seems to be is everyones "cookie cutter" ideas of "the best" leveling spots, for any given level range there is prolly 4-8 areas to level... just because someone tells you you have to go doesnt mean you do.... anyways.. great game and good if you have friends and find good parties =D playingthe gameplay is great, with a good system the graphics are beautiful, and the only issue there seems to be is everyones "cookie cutter" ideas of "the best" leveling spots, for any given level range there is prolly 4-8 areas to level... just because someone tells you you have to go doesnt mean you do.... anyways.. great game and good if you have friends and find good parties =D playing over a year and a half now , tried VG tried EQ2 and WoW came back to this everytime.... hehe =) Expand
  59. SeanT.
    Feb 12, 2007
    This game rocks.
  60. JoshM
    Nov 11, 2009
    Simply the best MMO out there. A lot of people played it when it was new and were turned away by it's lack of content, but it has had seven years to grow and expand, and continues to get better over time.
  61. RyanS.
    Nov 14, 2009
    No MMO can surpass the beauty, depth, and addictiveness of FFXI. The game is over 8 years old, is is still going strong. In fact, there's more people playing now then there ever have been. The graphics are showing age, but you simply cannot find another MMO with characters and environments as beautiful and well-designed as those in FFXI. The combat isn't your average MMO combat, No MMO can surpass the beauty, depth, and addictiveness of FFXI. The game is over 8 years old, is is still going strong. In fact, there's more people playing now then there ever have been. The graphics are showing age, but you simply cannot find another MMO with characters and environments as beautiful and well-designed as those in FFXI. The combat isn't your average MMO combat, but more of a real-time system made to seem turn-based. It takes some getting use to, but it allows for more strategy than faster-paced combat. The sound is this game is jaw-dropping. The sound effects are well-done, but the music is just gorgeous. There are hardly any games(not just MMOs) that can match the quality of music in this game, except some very high-budget games, and the other Final Fantasy games. The story is of the same quality Final Fantasy fans have come to love, and surpasses some other Final Fantasy games, despite being a MMO. As of right now, you can buy the game for $20, which includes every single expansion pack(they're not making any more expansions), and all three mini-expansions. Paying $20 for the game with 1 month free, and then $12 per month after that, you will be hard-pressed to find any form of entertainment of this quality, for such a low price. Worth every penny. Expand
  62. TurffieL
    Dec 21, 2009
    Masochistic. Honestly it is just that; the game was heavily created around community when it first released. Don't get me wrong MMOs are suppose to be about people helping one another; but when you start forcing people to do just about everything together plus throw in grinding and deleveling, those are ingredients for disaster. From levels 1-12 that took around 8 hours to gain. Masochistic. Honestly it is just that; the game was heavily created around community when it first released. Don't get me wrong MMOs are suppose to be about people helping one another; but when you start forcing people to do just about everything together plus throw in grinding and deleveling, those are ingredients for disaster. From levels 1-12 that took around 8 hours to gain. After that you are off to the dunes (that is if you could safely make it there. No you can not ride a Chocobo there; because the license to ride one is level 20). Once there, depending on server you might have a long wait for a party. Back then if you happened to be half way to the next level while other party members were only at 10,100 or even 300 into a level you would not be considered into a party. Why? Because after you have leveled your newly gained leveled just half others exp while you wanted to gain an exp buffer. If the people allowed you to stay and dwarf their exp you would be considered lucky. It would be rather hard to find another party with in your level and exp range. Thus started the waiting game. To which people decided to quit, tried to solo on their own or simply play Beastmaster. Adding insult to injury Chains of Promathia also frustrated people. It was hard to find people; let alone wanting to be picky about what kind of people you wanted helping you do missions for that expansion pack. People weren't willing to help out with missions if you weren't popular in one level another. During my 1 year and 11 months absents the game introduced Fields of Valor which introduced training Regime. Which is very nice when one can not find a party or they do not have time to stand around to wait for an invite. With players running around occupying areas leveling their adventuring fellow and low spawn rates it makes it rather hard to enjoy using the field manual pages to gain exp better. Can't really complain, but better spawn rate could fix that issue. If field manual isn't one's cup of tea then level sync can help with find a party; without worry about dwarfing the rest of the party's exp. Looking at these things and noticing how nice they are and a welcome to the game, it makes a person wonder; why wasn't this here before? Had it been there before WoW wouldn't exactly be tooting their own horn about the massive amount of players. Expand
  63. EeachL.
    Dec 7, 2009
    Jack Attack must be confused. Besieged, Campaign, Level Sync, & Fields of Valor are all new systems added since 2003 that fix a lot of the complaints people had about the game. IMO if FFXi were released as a new game today, it would be the WoW killer. Trouble is, it is a 7 year old game; people like Jack Attack that played it in 2003 aren't willing to give it a 2nd chance and new Jack Attack must be confused. Besieged, Campaign, Level Sync, & Fields of Valor are all new systems added since 2003 that fix a lot of the complaints people had about the game. IMO if FFXi were released as a new game today, it would be the WoW killer. Trouble is, it is a 7 year old game; people like Jack Attack that played it in 2003 aren't willing to give it a 2nd chance and new players aren't willing to try an older game. Expand
  64. Chris
    Nov 25, 2003
    My experience pretty much mirror's Mike's. All the same plus's and minus's. I however give it a 9 as you can get used to the clunky interface. Mobs chasing you to the end of the world is a problem. I'm half expecting to see a Goblin Butcher waiting for me in my house when I get back to Bastok. "thought you could outrun me huh?"
  65. WillC.
    Dec 22, 2003
    THIS IS A REALLY GOOD GAME. With that being said the game has several STRONG aspects, but it is far from perfect. That is why I gave it a 9. This does not meant it will stay a 9 for ever. They are still improving the game with patches to fix the minor glitches it has. So just be patient. As far as the people who give this game a bad wrap, they obviously suck at the game, plus they suck at THIS IS A REALLY GOOD GAME. With that being said the game has several STRONG aspects, but it is far from perfect. That is why I gave it a 9. This does not meant it will stay a 9 for ever. They are still improving the game with patches to fix the minor glitches it has. So just be patient. As far as the people who give this game a bad wrap, they obviously suck at the game, plus they suck at all games and they should not even be allowed to utter the word "game." Expand
  66. ZachD.
    Dec 17, 2006
    This is by far the best game i have ever played its most addicting, nice graphics, good storylines, and awsome chars and spells and specialskills too.everyone should play......NOW!
  67. TaleW
    Nov 12, 2009
    I was very addicted to the game from 2002-2005, then quit playing around level 45 when the grind got to hard. I was excited to see the Ultimate Collection on Steam and thought it would be fun to experience the awesome grouping mechanics and sense of accomplishment this game alone could offer. However, I quickly remembered the inanity of the Playonline system and antiquainted keyboard I was very addicted to the game from 2002-2005, then quit playing around level 45 when the grind got to hard. I was excited to see the Ultimate Collection on Steam and thought it would be fun to experience the awesome grouping mechanics and sense of accomplishment this game alone could offer. However, I quickly remembered the inanity of the Playonline system and antiquainted keyboard playstyle, and couldn't bring myself to even bother trying to level my taru. I went ahead an uninstalled, and suggest you think hard before dropping any money on this dinosaur. FF 14 will be out next year, and I'm hopeful it will keep the rewarding parts of FFXI and ditch the old antiquainted grinding and ridiculous game mechanics and registration systems. Expand
  68. TroyR
    Nov 12, 2009
    I started playing this game around the time the Xbox360 version came out. It is a lot of fun. You will have to do a lot of grinding. It will take you a lot longer to get to lv75 then it does it WoW for example. If you get find a group of people that play around the same time as you and can communicate well with since the amount of people playing has gone down. Use level sync and the I started playing this game around the time the Xbox360 version came out. It is a lot of fun. You will have to do a lot of grinding. It will take you a lot longer to get to lv75 then it does it WoW for example. If you get find a group of people that play around the same time as you and can communicate well with since the amount of people playing has gone down. Use level sync and the fields of valor and the other new things they have added and you can still get to 75. Don't take the easy way out and get into a SMN burn and get to 75 and have no idea how to play your job correctly. Expand
  69. DanD
    Dec 16, 2009
    This game is recommended for gamers who have no life. The gameplay and the interface is great and so is the community; but the amount of time that you'll have to devote to this game just isn't worth it. I will say this though: FFXI is alot more fun and in-depth than anything that I can compare it to. I just don't like how it consumes years of your life to get anywhere in the story.
  70. Aug 29, 2010
    The Final Fantasy XI is SUCK... I downloding for Steam.. but i did pay for it... Its cost me $9.99 to Downloding Final Fantasy XI. Then After that.. I created my username on Final Fantasy XI.. Its need my Card to payment.. Oh man.. Its wasting my money to playing this game.. and Its not Free Online.. Oh man. I want my money back for Final Fantasy XI.. Its wasting myThe Final Fantasy XI is SUCK... I downloding for Steam.. but i did pay for it... Its cost me $9.99 to Downloding Final Fantasy XI. Then After that.. I created my username on Final Fantasy XI.. Its need my Card to payment.. Oh man.. Its wasting my money to playing this game.. and Its not Free Online.. Oh man. I want my money back for Final Fantasy XI.. Its wasting my money........... **** THIS Final Fantasy XI........................................... Expand
  71. Nov 14, 2011
    Let me preface this review by saying that I was warned about this game by a friend, and decided to take the plunge anyway, because it was on sale. I am writing this review in an attempt to prevent you from wasting your time and money the way that I have. I have been playing video games since 1984, but Square-Enix has achieved something with this game that no other developer I have seen hasLet me preface this review by saying that I was warned about this game by a friend, and decided to take the plunge anyway, because it was on sale. I am writing this review in an attempt to prevent you from wasting your time and money the way that I have. I have been playing video games since 1984, but Square-Enix has achieved something with this game that no other developer I have seen has been able to achieve. They made this game impossible to log in to. I guess that's easy money for them, less update money and what not. First you download the game, easy so far. Then you are informed you must make a play online account. After a maze of button clicking and applications, you achieve that. Then they inform you that you must transfer your Play online account to a Square-Enix account. After an even lengthier search and application process, you achieve that. Then you are told that you need to obtain a content ID, but not told how do do that. After hours of searching and doing general searches on Google, I was able to create a Click to buy account, after more application process. The parent company for Click to Buy is based in EU, so my credit card account was frozen at this point. A call to the credit card company unfroze my card, and after more work, I was able to confirm my account. I then attempted to log onto the game again, and was still told that I had no "content ID". At this time I re-entered all of my game codes and double checked all of my accounts, all of which appear to be in order. When a third attempt to log onto the game came out with the same results, I contacted "customer service" (yes, I put that in quotations for a reason) and have been waiting for about the last 24 hours for a response. I also forgot to mention that my wife was hoping to play as well, but Click to Buy won't allow her to create an account unless she has a credit card under her own name, so even if I figure this out, I would probably have to get a second credit card under her name, so she can set up her own account. I have spent somewhere around 12 hours, over the last 72 hours, involved with this process, and appear to be no closer to resolving the issues. Meanwhile, my 30 day free period, that comes with the game purchase, is being used up and I still haven't even made it to character creation. If you have any love for your own sanity, avoid this game the same way you'd avoid a cracked out transient hooker with obvious STD's. Believe me, the only way that this game would be worth your while, is if they paid you for all the time and irritation you're going to experience trying to get it to run! My friend tells me that this is only the beginning, and that after you start playing, you'll wish it never had started working. Long story short, play WoW, you can be up and running in the time it takes to load up and create a character, and you won't need therapy afterward so that you can re-enter society without screaming obscenities at passersby, because of the pent up tension and aggravation! Expand
  72. Nov 13, 2012
    The game FFXI was the first mmo I had played, since then I have played many others like Tera, Diablo 3, WOW, GW2, Forsaken world, and many others but none ever quite match up to FFXI. i played for 5 years and i want to play again. totally awesome and unforgettable game.
  73. Mar 23, 2013
    One of the best MMOs I've played in my life. It's the one game that I've consistently enjoyed over the years. The game's only problem, though personally I don't consider it to be a problem, is it is a bit grindy. The community however is one of the best I've ever seen in my lifetime of playing tons of MMOs and for an MMO, the community makes the game.
  74. Jan 26, 2014
    Best MMO RPG in existence to date. unfortunately the population has become low due to how old the game is i believe it should become FTP.

It far exceeds ffxiv in every single aspect accept for Graphics.

1. It has more good points than bad though, at the least it will tide you over until the next generation of MMORPGs hits the streets and at best you will have fun for months, even years to come.
    Things are only going to get better as they add new content, so you can expect to see this game living a long and healthy life.
    The most beautiful MMORPG currently available. Its environments are second to none, and the character models are elegant and, frankly, a pleasure to behold. The world also feels more alive than any other.