6.8

1. Aug 27, 2013
    This game has come a long way from the fiasco that was version 1.0. Overall, Square Enix has done a great job completely remaking the game and optimizing everything that failed in the first. And aside from the server issues during Early Access and the 1017 errors as of launch this game couldn't be any better.

You can call me a fanboy or just not agree with what I'm saying, that's fine.

You can call me a fanboy or just not agree with what I'm saying, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this happens to be mine. I've been playing since 1.0 but didn't play it for long because it did suck big time. When I heard about FFXIV:ARR I was excited and hoped they would do a better job this time around. They have.

The game is better in almost every way. The graphics are almost as good and don't kill your system like 1.0 did. Most people couldn't run the old game. The optimizations have worked out wonderfully. I can safely say that it's one of the besting looking MMORPG's out. People seem to mistake that for best looking game but that's not the case. This is right up there with TERA in terms of beautiful MMO graphics. By the way, I am running on maximum settings with 60+ fps. Perks of building your own extreme gaming PC.

The quest system is much improved and everything just feels more fluid. There is a lot of text to read but that's pretty standard. They do a pretty good job of defining what you need to do and it all isn't just fetch or kill quests. I think the most a quest has ever had me kill is 5 of a particular monster. I'm currently a 26 Marauder. My only gripe is I wish all the dialogue was all voice acted but as it stands only select in game cutscenes are voice acted. The ones that are are pretty well done too, some of the voices fit the characters while there are others that don't.

Things to do are plentiful in this game. Want to quest, sure, go ahead. Want to craft? You can do it all on one character. FATE's are frequent and award nice experience and GC seals when you get that far. Leves are a fun diversion though I wish you weren't restricted to the allowance you're given. And you only gain 3 every 12 hours real life time. The story missions have been great too. Lot's of lore and character development to discover. Another great diversion are the Logs you have access to. Hunting Logs have you kill monsters for super bonus experience. It's all a nice way to help you level up.

The only real issue I've had with the game so far is just the server issues which are doing much better than they were at the start of Early Access. Despite those issues I have given this game a 10/10 because it is everything I wanted and more. And the beauty is that it can only get better from here! They have so many wonderful plans for the future and even near future! So stick with it guys, I will, and I guarantee it will be a blast!
  2. Oct 15, 2013
    I rarely base part of my opinion of a game on the customer service of the company if I can help it. But in this case, the customer service has been SO bad that it makes me drop my rating of the actual game. The game itself (what amount I got to play of course...so take it with a grain of salt)? 8-9. Customer service? 0. After over 1000 minutes on hold total and being hung up on multipleI rarely base part of my opinion of a game on the customer service of the company if I can help it. But in this case, the customer service has been SO bad that it makes me drop my rating of the actual game. The game itself (what amount I got to play of course...so take it with a grain of salt)? 8-9. Customer service? 0. After over 1000 minutes on hold total and being hung up on multiple times by their machines as well as by their chat, I am still even now wondering why they never contact me about ANYTHING to tell me what's going on.

A week in I got hacked. My fault. I didn't have an authenticator. I realized the only other thing I'd use the same password was my LoL that I hadn't played in a few months. Went checking and discovered about their being hacked and passwords lost. My account was "terminated" by Square-Enix with admittedly a VERY rude accusatory e-mail that ACTUALLY says, "Unfortunately, you have shown yourself to be unwilling to follow the rules of the FINAL FANTASY XIV community. If we find that you have created another FINAL FANTASY XIV service account, we reserve the right to terminate that account as well".

But that's not the bad part. It's the fact that I spent a couple weeks TRYING to get in touch with them. 3 hours waiting on hold then...suddenly it hangs up on me. This happened more than once! What? I even got a message from their chat after I waited in the que that their were no representatives available which instead gave me a form to fill out. All of these events early in the day well within their hours. Oh and that form? Waited over a week and NEVER got a response. So I started trying to contact again and after a couple attempts FINALLY got through.

I found out from him my account spammed chat with gold-seller site information. But that was my only transgression. Okay, sounds like what they'd do with a hacked account. But it turns out he can't do anything. He told me he'd "escalate" my problem for the investigation group to look at and that they'd get back to me. Well that was weeks ago. I haven't heard a SINGLE thing from them in that time. After a month and a half from when this started, I STILL haven't gotten my account back. I may have to write this off as money I wasted purchasing a game in the first place that I'll never really get to play. Glad I bought the collector's edition for the extra goodies! TOTALLY WORTH IT! Ha ha.
  3. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is quite good as far as MMOs go on launch: amazing IP, great graphics and aesthetic, lots to do, a great sense of discovery and wonder, in depth crafting, and more.

However, I can can't help but feel that the WoW-esque hot-key MMO with endless fetch quests has seen its day. The game play is good, don't get me wrong. It just feels like I've done this all before, and that's because I have. It's the exact same formula that has dominated MMOs for years, and frankly it's getting a little tired.

The game is definitely worth picking up if you haven't gotten your fill of the classic MMO theme-park experience, or if you just love the Final Fantasy franchise so much you can overlook the dated game-play. If you're bored of WoW and it's clones, you won't find much new here. All in all, this game is a good take on a tried and true (and a bit played out) genre.
  4. Aug 27, 2013
    If you're basing your score on launch server issues either wait with posting an opinion or you shouldn't be playing MMOs at all. This is launch, every single game has it's issues (hello WoW launch and every single expansion pack), they get smoothed out and eventually are gone and remain forgotten. Hardware, even nowadays, ain't sci-fi tech; it has it's limits no matter how much money youIf you're basing your score on launch server issues either wait with posting an opinion or you shouldn't be playing MMOs at all. This is launch, every single game has it's issues (hello WoW launch and every single expansion pack), they get smoothed out and eventually are gone and remain forgotten. Hardware, even nowadays, ain't sci-fi tech; it has it's limits no matter how much money you put into it. There is a reason we're not travelling at light speed yet.
    You think they're sitting there /point laughing at people that can't get in? Seriously..?

On to the review; this game has one thing I've never felt in any other MMO so far, and of those there has been plenty. I don't need to be max level to enjoy, or need to rush to cap. The game has a plethora of choices, jobs, quests, instances, FATEs (which are great fun), crafts, zones, monsters, hunting logs, guildhests, new levequests; you name it. During leveling you unlock many extra things useful for your character; mounts, retainers, dyeing, melding.. so you don't get it all at start, or only at the top level.

The graphics are great (and that's where a lot of MMOs lack), with a huge optimalization boost when it comes to performance (compared to 1.0), and the music is superb.
    Fighting is dynamic, boss fights ranging from a typical tank and spank to doing it the whole way around with precise tactics. Random events with XP and item rewards will often distract you from your current engagement, and the main mission storyline expands to hundreds of quests.

In short Yoshi-P delivered a game from a true MMO fan for MMO players.

For a Final Fantasy fan? 10/10 and a must. If you still remember 1.0 forget the horrors, this is a new era.
    For a MMO fan? 8/10 and you should really give it a go, plenty of friendly things you'll find.

For a wingnut who cannot comprehend the fact of hardware limits on launch? A lollipop and a punch in the face.
  5. Aug 27, 2013
    While this game does not re-define the genre or drive it into the next generation, it does the things we have grown to love about the genre right. With a track record of amazing content in the companies first MMO, FFXI, this game does have incredible potential to become another 10+ years MMO for you to enjoy.

The amount of detail and care not only in the visual aspects is astonishing

The amount of detail and care not only in the visual aspects is astonishing with a grade of attention to detail that will amaze you. Animations are beautifully done with incredible detail to textures going so far as to display seams and fabric texture. Even on medium settings the game is beautiful and runs smooth even on older PC's.

The UI, especially the custom one for controller is the best i have seen so far. Everything is very polished and works as expected. The care that was taken to make this playable on both PC and consoles is astonishing and it pays off.

The games heavy focus on story telling will no doubt bore and even scare off a lot of impatient gamers that just want to get to the end for whatever reason. The story itself is beautifully told with an extremely extensive main story line, we are talking almost a hundred quests and just as many cut scenes. If you add the class specific quest lines for all the jobs and the side quests you are looking at a couple hundred for sure.

Content is abundant and you will find yourself overwhelmed at the options you have in this game. There are a dozen or so dungeons, special fights called Primal fights, dynamic events, special guild missions, grand company missions, leves (contract missions) It would be too much to list everything here.

Crafting is a huge part of the game and considered a class like warrior not just an add on like in many other games. The best gear does not come from quests or loot, it's made and enhanced by crafters. They are an essential part of the game without them the higher level and harder content could not be beaten.

Of cause the game is not perfect, it shares the same issues as most "themepark" and gear centric MMO games. The basic enemies are not very smart and they are spread out in the world according to level and areas they inhabit like a Zoo. Questing or any of the other activities can become a grind if you decide to grind them. The game however gives you so many options that you should never find yourself doing just one thing over and over.

Overall it is a very enjoyable game with great potential given the track record the company has with Final Fantasy XI, the genres biggest game with content that will literally take you years to finish.
  6. Aug 27, 2013
    This game has been amazing so far. I'm only level 11 right now but I have been playing since the phase 4 beta test. Besides the server log in issues which is only because the game just started out the game has been a phenomenal play. The story is good, the way SE recouped and worked the story from final fantasy XIV version 1.0 is awesome. In game wise I haven't had any complaints yet!.This game has been amazing so far. I'm only level 11 right now but I have been playing since the phase 4 beta test. Besides the server log in issues which is only because the game just started out the game has been a phenomenal play. The story is good, the way SE recouped and worked the story from final fantasy XIV version 1.0 is awesome. In game wise I haven't had any complaints yet!. Look forward to playing this game to the end which I haven't done with any other MMO so far. Expand
  7. Aug 27, 2013
    Coming from a 1.0 original purchaser who never played version 1.0 for even one hour, and had my box gathering dust for about 3 years:

Do play this. It's fun, immersive and well-executed from a software perspective. Hardware (i.e. servers) need some work yet, but nothing that can't be fixed in the coming days weeks.

Proud Digital Collectors Edition owner of FFXIV: ARR!
  8. Aug 27, 2013
    What an achievement, they've managed to take a game that was literally the worst MMO I've ever played and turn it into one of the best I've ever played. Square is back. The job system is genius and a refreshing take on classes in mmos, content is challenging even for hard core players post level 30, and the world is addicting as hell.
  9. Aug 27, 2013
    Besides from all the normal launch problems with every MMO; this game is beautiful shaped, great game play and amazing story so far. This game will steal your heart
  10. Aug 27, 2013
    If you played 1.0, you may believe you know what this game has to offer, but the further you get the more this game offers you beyond your expectations. Chocobos can level up; grand companies allow you to earn additional currency towards great stuff when you complete levequests and FATEs, among other things. The lag in the interface has been resolved with the brand new UI too.

If you

If you didn't play 1.0 this game is a huge improvement over the original, which received poor reviews. The voice acting is not the best it could be, but that's not a deciding factor for me and an MMO. The maintenance some reviews comment about is sure to pass, and was prevalent in early access during the days prior to release, so in my opinion should not be relevant to the user score here unless it continues (which so far it has not).
  11. Aug 27, 2013
    Aside from a few log in issues i couldn't be more happy with the game, the fact that you can do everything you want on just 1 character is amazing for me, i went from having to grind on 8 different chars a week on wow to focusing on 1 in FF, i pray this game will bloom for years to come.
  12. Aug 27, 2013
    FFXIV came back from a dark place called V1... Now, it's a great game with plenty of features picked in every today's MMO improved and Final Fantasylized !
    I'm not objective, i can't be objective because i'm a huge Final Fantasy Fan but FFXIV is designed for us, and for that i'll give it a big 10
  13. Aug 27, 2013
    This game...
    Where can I start?
    Conceptually it's not a big deal, but as one takes it in bit by bit, as one does with the modern MMO, one begins to realize the where this game shines is in the how. The execution of the ordinary in such a way that it becomes extraordinary. While it had some issues in logins, (I never personally had the problem for more than 3 minutes,) due largely to
    This game...
    Where can I start?
    The execution of the ordinary in such a way that it becomes extraordinary.
    While it had some issues in logins, (I never personally had the problem for more than 3 minutes,) due largely to the fact that Square Enix did not expect the scale of NA/EU MMO players.

I like that, it gives me good feelings about the future of this game.

Oh the story? Just give it a little time, it will turn into one of your favorite FFs as well as one of your favorite MMOs.
  14. Aug 27, 2013
    First of all, most of the negative reviews are from the server issues the game had during the early access weekend prior to launch. This is not indicative of the final product.

This game is nothing short of spectacular. The fact that the development team took a failing game, and made it what it is today in only 2 years is a miracle. The graphics are by far the best in the genre, the world design is among the best in any game, period, the sound design is something you must hear to believe, and the writing is phenomenal. This game deserves more than its tainted name allows it. On top of everything I've listed, the game is just plain fun. This game must be experienced to be fully appreciated. This is how Final Fantasy used to be, not what it currently is. This game is a love letter to the entire series. It has characters, monsters, equipment and activities from many numbered Final Fantasy games, and they're only adding more. This will be one of the only MMOs out right now still being played in 10 years.
  15. Aug 27, 2013
    This is not a Bad game at all, they have alot of issues about they servers, but they just started... Grafics are amezing, nice selection to create your character with saving options if u wanna play with the toon in another realm. They have a nice intro to Final Fantasy world for ppl just start this saga. Questing its ok for now. Im pretty sure they will improve more things in time. TheThis is not a Bad game at all, they have alot of issues about they servers, but they just started... Grafics are amezing, nice selection to create your character with saving options if u wanna play with the toon in another realm. They have a nice intro to Final Fantasy world for ppl just start this saga. Questing its ok for now. Im pretty sure they will improve more things in time. The system is ver easy to learn. We must give them more time to make a complete review about this game. Expand
  16. Aug 27, 2013
    The game itself is incredible as it is absolutely amazing. The architecture of the game is very well structured. Nice music on the background. The graphic is astonishing and the gameplay is quiet interesting in a way that it'll make you play for hours. The element of the game is a mix of final fantasy 1-13 (which is a very positive thing). The content is quiet big even though the game isThe game itself is incredible as it is absolutely amazing. The architecture of the game is very well structured. Nice music on the background. The graphic is astonishing and the gameplay is quiet interesting in a way that it'll make you play for hours. The element of the game is a mix of final fantasy 1-13 (which is a very positive thing). The content is quiet big even though the game is quiet new. The launch isnt as smooth as we thought it would be but that is because there are more people that are playing than expected. overall its a fun game to play and have not got any pay to win like many of the mmo today. Expand
  17. Aug 27, 2013
    I have been playing this non stop since I got the early access. This game is incredibly fun, addictive, the scenery is beautiful and the gameplay is fantastic. The servers may be full at times but you gotta keep trying to get in and when you do, it'll be one of the best experiences ever. All in all, get this game.
  18. Aug 27, 2013
    Amazing game. Sure they have some problems with the launch, like every other MMOs but when you are in, this is one of the best experience out there! You will love it if you give it a chance.
  19. Aug 27, 2013
    Very great game. Finally, a MMORPG that put's an emphasis on "RPG". Way to go Square Enix, I think you just revived the franchise for me! This game delivers everything Final Fantasy and then some!
  20. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is amazing. Those who are giving it a zero are just complaining about the server issues, which every mmo has. Just give it a week to pass through. The game is spectacular, and people are judging it harshly way too early.
  21. Aug 27, 2013
    This game has definitely come a long way since 1.0. It's definitely a very beautiful game and it seems to have pulled a lot of the great elements from other MMORPGS. Only issue that is really irritating is the current accessibility to the game. Ever since Early Access and now into launch the game is not accessible to most of the community due to 1017 error "Server Full" and no stableThis game has definitely come a long way since 1.0. It's definitely a very beautiful game and it seems to have pulled a lot of the great elements from other MMORPGS. Only issue that is really irritating is the current accessibility to the game. Ever since Early Access and now into launch the game is not accessible to most of the community due to 1017 error "Server Full" and no stable queuing system to allow people to enjoy the experience. But that's typical launch stuff...even though we'd hope developers would have found ways to mitigate this now in 2013 since MMOs have been around for over a decade.

Graphics: The graphics are beautiful and the landscapes are very well done. I catch myself looking around the world quite a bit when I am traveling and enjoying the scenery. The animations are very well done and the spell effects are intense, very colorful and very well done. Overall I can't complain about the graphics in this game and they are some of the best I've seen in an MMO

Travel: Travel in this game is fairly simple. The game is broken into a multitude of zones like most MMOs. There is a system of crystals you can use to teleport around (for a feel), chocobo rentals to take the scenic route, Mounts to ride at the later levels, air ships to carry you across continent, and the never old 'charlie brown" method of one foot in front of the other. Overall the travel is great and the game seems accessible. Tons of ways to travel and none take you the hours that 1.0 used to force you to travel.

Leveling: Like most MMOs you have your standard faire of quests to get you to max level, the new FATE system ala Rift/ GW2 public questing, levemetes (limited daily quests), and your hunting log (kill quests on specific creatures through each of the zones). Let's not forget the story line quests with epic cut scenes and large amounts of that Final Fantasy dialogue. Overall you'll have plenty to keep you engaged while leveling your jobs.

Jobs/Class system: One word, Awesome. You'll be able to play each job with a single character. No more need for alts, unless you're moving servers, since you'll have access to the full experience on one character. At level 10 you'll be able to learn other jobs, so you'll quickly be able to move to something else if you are not a fan of your initial job pick.

Combat: A little slow for my tastes at first, but I got used to it and now I love it. The entire game has a 2.5s GCD on abilities. This slows down your need to button mash and allows you to concentrate more on mechanics and keep your spacial awareness in check. Most classes have combo chains to pull off with your abilities which add some depth and choice into ability use. You'll also be able to bring in a limited amount of abilities from other jobs to augment your job's feel and fill in some gaps. Limit Breaker in groups is also another cool feature. large "finishing moves" that can be executed by one member in the group at a crucial moment in the fight. The limit breakers vary by job and each has a distinct effect. Overall I've been very happy with the combat system.

Dungeons/Raids: Dungeons are 4 man and follow the holy trinity (Tank/DPS/Healer). Overall the beta content was pretty solid. The first three dungeons were more of a learning experience for newer MMO players, introducing new mechanics in each. The Ifrit fight at 20 is where the difficulty starts to get turned up and it really checks your spacial awareness. Raids have been announced by the producers but I didn't get a chance to see those, but I'm optimistic that there will be a real challenge in them.

Overall I've had a great time with the game when I've had access. Unfortunately the problem is that I haven't had access as much as I'd have expected through Early Access and now launch. I'm not going to rate this review on those issues, because that will be solved. I will say it's damned annoying and that I really thing SE dropped the ball on this, but they did put out one helluva nice game.
  22. Aug 27, 2013
    15 Years MMO Veteran, this is the best online experience someone can experience atm.
    Amazing graphics, Great Storyline, Wicked User Interface, Oldschool combat reminiscent to Final Fantasy.
    This game is extremely polished for a launch title.
    Get it now!
  23. Aug 27, 2013
    I originally bought the collectors edition of 1.0. I was disappointing with the game as I could not really
    "get in" to it. After upgrading various components of my PC (to even play the game), I found it buggy and generally dull.

I am very happy to say that version 2.0 is quite the surprise. It has the same feel and engagement that I felt in FFXI and is an all around joy to play. The story line is engaging and unique, the battle system has been fine tuned and is feels like a FF game. I enjoy the Free Company concept and the new Auction House system is well implemented. But most of all, the community is were the game already shines (at least on my server).
  24. Aug 27, 2013
    I have been playing this game ever since version 1.0. I participated in the ARR Alpha, and all 4 Beta phases. This game has come a long way in a very short time, it has maintained the lore of previous FF games and built upon them with its own story. Combat mechanics are friendly enough for new players while still offering a challenge for seasoned MMO gamers. Partying and grouping areI have been playing this game ever since version 1.0. I participated in the ARR Alpha, and all 4 Beta phases. This game has come a long way in a very short time, it has maintained the lore of previous FF games and built upon them with its own story. Combat mechanics are friendly enough for new players while still offering a challenge for seasoned MMO gamers. Partying and grouping are seamless and dont seam like a chore. The game walks newcomers through the basics and slowly lets go of your hand as you progress through the ranks. It helps attract new people to MMO's who traditionally wouldnt try this type of game. Expand
  25. Aug 27, 2013
    The new version of Final Fantasy XIV does what it set out to do extremely well. It might not line up with my own preferences, but within its intended goals things are executed elegantly and enjoyably. There's been some difficulty with the servers, but given that's a transient issue that's already being rectified I don't think it's something I want to include in my lasting review score.The new version of Final Fantasy XIV does what it set out to do extremely well. It might not line up with my own preferences, but within its intended goals things are executed elegantly and enjoyably. There's been some difficulty with the servers, but given that's a transient issue that's already being rectified I don't think it's something I want to include in my lasting review score.

Simply put, while I've got one or two complaints (the lack of speech bubbles for chat, for instance) my summary would be 'I feel like I'm playing an MMORPG out of an anime'.
  26. Aug 27, 2013
    A marvelous game. As someone new to MMOs, I expected to be overwhelmed by features and interface elements. Thankfully the tutorial was helpful and clear; I felt comfortable using the different features.

Gameplay is not difficult but battles are enjoyable. Monster models, true to the series, offer entertaining art styles and names. Graphics are superb. This is simply an astoundingly

Graphics are superb. This is simply an astoundingly beautiful game. I find myself stopping regularly to take screenshots of the landscape.

The crafting system is intuitive and fun yet deep and useful. It's certainly more involved and richer than in any console RPG that I've played. You have so many opportunities to craft what you want and to approach it from so many different classes.

The user interface can be a bit clunky at times, but it offers a good amount of information through various menus.

I'm incredibly satisfied with the game and have enjoyed my time in Eorzea. I hope you will take a spin too.
  27. Aug 27, 2013
    If you can get around the server congestion issues, this is a great game. It takes a lot of the traditional Final Fantasy elements (cute creatures, long, in-depth storylike cutscenes, job system with unique outfits) and combines them with the World of Warcraft themepark system. This is the MMO of choice for anybody who has ever enjoyed JRPG's. In terms of difficulty, the grinding isIf you can get around the server congestion issues, this is a great game. It takes a lot of the traditional Final Fantasy elements (cute creatures, long, in-depth storylike cutscenes, job system with unique outfits) and combines them with the World of Warcraft themepark system. This is the MMO of choice for anybody who has ever enjoyed JRPG's. In terms of difficulty, the grinding is minimal and not difficult, while the solo instances are sufficiently challenging (I have not done a group dungeon yet). One of the good things about this game is that you can train for every profession, including crafting professions, so there is no need to create a horde of alternative characters unless you enjoy creating a mix of races and genders for your characters.

I will not rate this game based upon the server problems, which seem to be basically fixed judging by my play last night. The only thing that keeps this game from being a 10 is its current lack of Player vs. Player. I'm not a big fan of PvP, but it's something every MMO that releases should try to have. Square Enix says they will add it in a future update. I would also like to see vanity slots so that you aren't forced to wear something ugly and can design your own outfit (although dyes help with this somewhat). SE also says they will add vanity slots in a future update. Other than these minor qualms, the game is a lot of fun and should be played by anyone who is either a fan of challenging themepark MMO's or JRPG's.
  28. Aug 27, 2013
    The game itself gets a 10 from me. It's absolutely amazing. The most fun I've had in an MMO in a very long time, but the problem is, there are quite a few errors that SE can't seem to fix that prevent me and many others from actually accessing the game. Though the game has just launched, it has taken them over a week to fix the errors, and every time they supposedly fix it, another errorThe game itself gets a 10 from me. It's absolutely amazing. The most fun I've had in an MMO in a very long time, but the problem is, there are quite a few errors that SE can't seem to fix that prevent me and many others from actually accessing the game. Though the game has just launched, it has taken them over a week to fix the errors, and every time they supposedly fix it, another error or the same error pops up.

But anyway, the game is amazing. If you can get past the errors, get logged in and stay logged in, it's an amazing game.
  29. Aug 28, 2013
    Excellent game. Perhaps not as deep as FFXI or as action packed as WoW, but it offers a happy medium that I think people are really going to enjoy for years. This is the first time I've truly been excited for an MMO since vanilla WoW's release. There are some server troubles at the moment because I don't believe Square thought the game would be this popular.

People will get over

People will get over launch issues if the game is good (vanilla WoW had an INCREDIBLY rough start, for example-- rougher even than XIV's release). People will not get over launch issues if the game is shallow/uninteresting/boring (like Diablo 3).
  30. Aug 27, 2013
    Haven't been this attached to an mmo in a long time, the final fantasy world intrigues me more then any other, so far this is just an awesome game, there is so much to do i get confused :D
  31. Aug 27, 2013
    This is undoubtedly a Final Fantasy game. Fans of the series will more than likely feel right at home with the amazing musical score, incredibly graphics and deep character development. The reason this game doesn't get a personal score from me is that it lacks in many areas that other Final Fantasy games are strong in. The early game story for example is yawn inducing and incrediblyThis is undoubtedly a Final Fantasy game. Fans of the series will more than likely feel right at home with the amazing musical score, incredibly graphics and deep character development. The reason this game doesn't get a personal score from me is that it lacks in many areas that other Final Fantasy games are strong in. The early game story for example is yawn inducing and incredibly contrived, it gives you all the tools to "Feel special" but avoids any opportunity to step out of that bubble. It features a rather deep Level system that would at first glance appear to allow a player freedom of choice as to where and when they develop their character. Want to be a humble Fisherman? Tools are there. Want to be a Dragoon capable of feats beyond even the great Kain Highwind? Tools are there. Problem is, regardless of your path, if you follow the story (a staple in all FF games) you will be on the exact same path as every other player. I guess I question why do they personalize the story rather than leave it open to willing participants.

The expected "Party" system is MMO standard. Which is fine but they relegate certain functions such as the incredibly fun "Limit Break" system to a "decide when the group as a whole wants to use it" rather than a personal feat of increased effectiveness to be used at the best possible time. You have an extremely restricted early game party set up which creates a great deal of problems for finding a group as most classes, this is easily fixed too. WHY on earth can my Arcanist not heal for a dungeon when she has an equivalent heal to a Conjurer? In fact, at early group stages, the "Group Finder" will not even find you a group unless there is an available Conjurer. Tank classes are sparse as well, totaling 2 early game. Out of a total of 8 potential starting classes, you HAVE to have a Conjurer, Marauder/Gladiator, and any of the other two.

Even with all else been said, the game has incredible ups. Class development is fun, spending money on merchant gear feels effective and true to the series core. Each class is unique and has a play-style that is more advanced and rewarding once mastered than it first appears. You can get your own Chocobo and summon it to assist you in combat much akin to a FFT(actics) helper. The game gives you a constant carrot. The zones have a ton of seemingly random events, called FATEs. Evolving "Jobs" such as Warrior, Summoner, Black Mage etc is fun and rewarding, you have to earn each and every ability rather than simply buying them. Each weapon corresponds to a play style and subsequent Job, you can multi-class by earning levels in other weapons and socket them into your current role.

This is a new game, it is full of flaws. Do your best to look at them closely, because if you have paid any attention to the development cycle of this game you will know just how far Square Enix is willing to go to make this an experience to please you. I promise you none are so game breaking that they would prevent you from enjoying a good classic style MMORPG with a load of content to chase before they add more.

Give it a shot.
  32. Aug 27, 2013
    Despite the early access problems I've had the most fun here since WoW 1.0-1.5. There's just so much to do and probably the first time ever I don't feel like I have to level my main class or job to 50 to play the game to it's fullest. I've spent countless of hours crafting and fishing because it's just so entertaining by itself. Ok, you have your basic quests of kill/fetch or stuff likeDespite the early access problems I've had the most fun here since WoW 1.0-1.5. There's just so much to do and probably the first time ever I don't feel like I have to level my main class or job to 50 to play the game to it's fullest. I've spent countless of hours crafting and fishing because it's just so entertaining by itself. Ok, you have your basic quests of kill/fetch or stuff like that but it doesn't diminish the full experience. Additional ways to gain experience are introduced all the time and generally only a small portion of my experience comes from the basic questing.

If you are having a hard time to decide whether to try it, I strongly recommend you do. It's just 20 euros and by that price it's a steal. Best MMO of the decade.
  33. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is much improved over the previous version. The graphics are nothing short of amazing and the world is a wondrous place to explore. There are some issues with server stability, but they are working those out. The gameplay is fun and not all arcade- like when compared to games like GW2 or Tera. This is more in line with a true RPG. I highly recommend it.
  34. Aug 27, 2013
    I played FFXIV Ver 1.0 and was let down. I thought that I was going to be disappointing again. Man I'm glad I was wrong! This is easily the most immersive experience ever. I can't wait to play this using Oculus Rift! I'm excited for an MMO again and that's saying a lot because I've played almost literally all off them since Ultima Online and Everquest were the big things in MMOI played FFXIV Ver 1.0 and was let down. I thought that I was going to be disappointing again. Man I'm glad I was wrong! This is easily the most immersive experience ever. I can't wait to play this using Oculus Rift! I'm excited for an MMO again and that's saying a lot because I've played almost literally all off them since Ultima Online and Everquest were the big things in MMO gaming.

Graphics: Amazing, looks better than any other modern MMO.
    Story: 10/10 I'm incredibly excited to see what happens in my story.
    Gameplay: Next Gen FF Engine with a Twist. It's everything I've grown to love in modern FF games.
    Difficulty: Hard enough that a seasoned MMO player will find difficulty balanced and very rewarding.
    Others: Yeah launch was a mess but the servers are totally stable now. Not one hiccup yet!
  35. Aug 27, 2013
    Been playing since Alpha. I must say that everything about this game is excellent. The combat took sometime to get comfortable with. It is unfortunate that this game will receive bad reviews because of the login problems but a majority of those have already been addressed. This is your standard MMO launch. There are plenty of options for jobs to play, engaging storyline, the graphics areBeen playing since Alpha. I must say that everything about this game is excellent. The combat took sometime to get comfortable with. It is unfortunate that this game will receive bad reviews because of the login problems but a majority of those have already been addressed. This is your standard MMO launch. There are plenty of options for jobs to play, engaging storyline, the graphics are above average for an MMO. A Final Fantasy every FF fan must play. Expand
  36. Aug 27, 2013
    The game is very fun! The only reason I don't mark it as a 10 is because of the overpopulated servers, which seems to be the origin of all these negative user reviews. I mean, it's not very fair to bash them for that, they're trying to fix said problems now. This is a great game to play with friends!
  37. Aug 27, 2013
    Tried this out for the first time this weekend, and found that many of the complaints I'd read on forums/etc were unfounded or exaggerated. Our household decided to pre-order the game and try it on a whim, since it looked fun and was on sale. None of us really had high expectations, and we're all MMO vets so none of us are stupid enough to be shocked by a few server troubles (which haveTried this out for the first time this weekend, and found that many of the complaints I'd read on forums/etc were unfounded or exaggerated. Our household decided to pre-order the game and try it on a whim, since it looked fun and was on sale. None of us really had high expectations, and we're all MMO vets so none of us are stupid enough to be shocked by a few server troubles (which have been blown out of proportion). We've gotten a lot of play time in and have all had a grand old time. It's great to feel excited to rush home and level again, and to explore beautifully crafted worlds. The combat is very fun, though not as action MMO-y as more recent games like TERA or GW2--but this is balanced by the depth of the combat and the depth of the content available.

Definitely going to be playing this for a while.
  38. Aug 27, 2013
    Just GREAT, the server issue will end soon. no crash so far. some difficulty to login at peak hours but nothing to compare at Sim City Failure. The Duty Finder is best tool ever for a MMORPG
  39. Aug 27, 2013
    Yo jugué en el primer FFXIV hace 3 años, y ese juego era totalmente infumable, aguanté 3 meses hasta que lo dejé.
    Ahora con la ARR en la beta muchos jugadores decían que el juego había cambiado muchisimo y estaban encantados, claramente Yoshida se ha esforzado al máximo y ha puesto toda su ilusión en ello.
    El juego actualmente tiene problemas típicos de login pero una vez entras no hay lag, y funciona todo perfecto, para mi merece un 10, en 3 años han conseguido hacer un juego desde 0, que pasó de ser una mierda a ser algo placentero de jugar.
  40. Aug 27, 2013
    Fantastic Game. Great class system. Great graphics. Multiple subscription options for those who are power users or casual users.

I highly recommend this to any gamer who enjoys great graphics and a great story.

It's true they are having server load issues at the moment, but that doesn't change the quality of the game itself.
  41. Aug 27, 2013
    The main issue I have with FF14, is that it plays like any other MMORPG out there, the same formula MMO players have seen has been recycled, again. I enjoyed playing for some time, however, if you are someone that has played other MMORPGs, you will see that you are playing the same game over again, there are many free to play games out there in where you can invest less money and have aThe main issue I have with FF14, is that it plays like any other MMORPG out there, the same formula MMO players have seen has been recycled, again. I enjoyed playing for some time, however, if you are someone that has played other MMORPGs, you will see that you are playing the same game over again, there are many free to play games out there in where you can invest less money and have a very similar experience, for example the quest formula that is found in many other games, comes back to FF14 with no real change, you will see a lot of "Kill 10 squirrels and come back for a reward... now go collect 10 furry tails.. which are found by killing squirrels .
    There are also many problems with the servers, you can have quite a good time if you are able to log in, I played both on the PC and PS3, and the PC obviously out stands the PS3 version, as in the console the game runs around 25 frames.
  42. Aug 27, 2013
    Took part in Closed Beta which went as most Betas go until Phase 4 Open Beta when everything started falling apart at the seams under Stress Testing. Ever since the Open Beta concluded, it has been nigh impossible to login to play the game between constant Error Messages, multiple Emergency Maintenance windows every day (each spanning 1-5 hours), and imposed population limits with noTook part in Closed Beta which went as most Betas go until Phase 4 Open Beta when everything started falling apart at the seams under Stress Testing. Ever since the Open Beta concluded, it has been nigh impossible to login to play the game between constant Error Messages, multiple Emergency Maintenance windows every day (each spanning 1-5 hours), and imposed population limits with no Auto-logout of AFK users. For the past four days they have been "Live" you haven't been able to create a character, join any of the existing Servers or play. From what I experienced during Beta, the game is worthy of a FAIR rating, typical of an MMO from 10 years ago with a fresh coat of paint (the graphics are probably it's greatest asset). Considering all the other MMO options out there, it probably isn't much to write home about or be excited over unless you are a Final Fantasy fan. With all of the problems this game has been experiencing the past several days my suggestion is to save yourself the frustration and your money, and stay far away from this game until Square Enix can resolve their Server Capacity issues. Expand
  43. Aug 27, 2013
    Way to go Square Enix selling a game that you can't play. Error upon error the last four days. No action from the team behind the game only empty words and apologises. I would recommend anyone to stay away from this game unless you like giving away money without getting the promised service. You'd think they would do better as it's the second time they try launching the game but no, veryWay to go Square Enix selling a game that you can't play. Error upon error the last four days. No action from the team behind the game only empty words and apologises. I would recommend anyone to stay away from this game unless you like giving away money without getting the promised service. You'd think they would do better as it's the second time they try launching the game but no, very disappointing. Expand
  44. Aug 27, 2013
    Constant server outages, massive queues for logging in, and the inability to even create characters. The game as it stands right now is unplayable. These problems have been going on for days and have not improved since early access. Even as of the official launch, it is almost impossible to get in an play the game.

When you can play, the graphics are decent and the story line is above

When you can play, the graphics are decent and the story line is above average for an MMO, but the game is very derivative of World of Warcraft. The Job system is one outstanding innovation, but as for the rest we have all played this game before. Combat and character movement is slow, and targeting is cumbersome. There is no active dodge. Visual indications of character responses are text only (like dodge or parry very 2005). PVP isn't in the game yet. Overall a little disappointing given that they had 3 years on top of the original game release to try and get this right.
  45. Aug 27, 2013
    The only thing, the ONLY thing that is holding me back from buying a month's sub now is error 1017. I get it, there's a lot of players. I genuinely enjoy my time spent in the game. The multiclassing is really fun and I've had a blast playing with all of them. Crafting is both rewarding and engaging. The world is colorful and vibrant and there's nary a moment of lag to be had. TheThe only thing, the ONLY thing that is holding me back from buying a month's sub now is error 1017. I get it, there's a lot of players. I genuinely enjoy my time spent in the game. The multiclassing is really fun and I've had a blast playing with all of them. Crafting is both rewarding and engaging. The world is colorful and vibrant and there's nary a moment of lag to be had. The game is fun, and that's the most important part. It just launched, so it's entirely reasonable for many servers to be full.

BUT WHY THE HELL IS THERE NO QUEUE SYSTEM!!

Did we suddenly go back to 1995 or something? Just telling me "We're sorry you can't play, please try later" and not giving me ANY way of knowing when a good time to come back is is just asinine. I spent the entirety of Sunday periodically checking every 10 to 30 minutes to see if I could get in. Nothing at all, couldn't play that day at all. Not to mention that meant I sat around my computer not doing much of anything because I had no idea if there would be space on the server in the next few minutes or not. It's all a load of bullsh*t.

And then there's the updates on Lodestone. They update relatively regularly, which is nice. HOWEVER, the updates they post are simply repeating what they said the last time. There's been 4 different followups to the congestion post today, and each one has literally been the exact same post, word for word, followed by another apology. It's infuriating.

At the end of the day, I enjoy playing this game. If SE doesn't get their act together on this though, I for one will not be dumping any more money into this aging locomotive.
  46. Aug 27, 2013
    In one sentence Very epic fantasy world with talkative NPC and boring quests.

I'm a big Final Fantasy fan boy, so big, I'm like a windmill when it comes to FF series. I have FF7 (ps1 & pc), FFTactic (PS1, PSP, iPad) just brag a little but FFXIV is very boring from the get go. I don't plan to waste my time with this anymore. Pros Very nice graphics. Detail character customization.
    In one sentence Very epic fantasy world with talkative NPC and boring quests.

Pros Very nice graphics. Detail character customization. Moderate graphic power needed. Very nice details on every little things. The details of dungeon and buildings almost makes you feel like you actually got lost in a big castle. Nice physic. Quick travel points in towns.

Cons I have been playing it since early release and I must say that quests are very boring and NPC talks too much that if you read everything they say you won't get anywhere. Game play becomes click on NPC skip everything, go to another place click on another NPC skip everything and quest done.

There are no motivation to do the quests until now. Compare to SWTOR the quest are very boring (SWTOR is not the best MMORPG out there).

Quick travel in town is very nice to save time but you need to remember all the awkward names of the travel points to get to the right place. But quick travel in town is free and unlimited. I wonder why they didn't make the quick travel menu into map oriented.

Map detail are very nice but quest related icons on map are very confusing. They try to be epic, I get it but the game play and quest are very boring compare to that epic theme. SWTOR is more fun to play than this.
  47. Aug 27, 2013
    first off final fantasy meets WoW clone
    second, you cant even log in on launch day because the servers are full, no queue, just a message that says servers are full, try again later.
    you can spam the menu 100+ times to try and log in never works, or put you in queue
    this is NOT a small problem or a early launch problem, this problem has been here since beta FACT ask anyone please
  48. Aug 27, 2013
    I GIVE UP after trying to log in for 2-3 hours of spamming the log in the past week, just avoid this game.

People who are in the game, refuse to log out because they know its impossible to get past the character screen
  49. Aug 27, 2013
    this game is next level bad, do not give them a second chance.
    you pay money for this game and you honestly cant play it because errors after errors after errors
    the white knights will say these are "little bugs" or "all mmo have problems at launch" the fact is this problem was in beta they never fixed it they said they wouldnt rush the game the second time its obvious they did on
    this game is next level bad, do not give them a second chance.
    the fact is this problem was in beta they never fixed it

they said they wouldnt rush the game the second time its obvious they did on the US/EU side
  50. Aug 27, 2013
    Avoid buying this game. When the servers ran into capacity problems Square chose to limit login availability and disable queues rather than fixing the actual issues. It's been 4 days without any fixes, and the only announcement made has been that more servers will be added to the japan data center, which is the one that has been mostly problem free.

At this point, it has become clear

At this point, it has become clear that the publisher hopes that many people who bought and paid for the game will give up on playing saving them the expense of adding more servers.

The game is unplayable right now for a large portion of the user base, and there appears to be no solution in sight.
  51. Aug 28, 2013
    Game is being fixed and progress is being made. Servers are opening up more and character creation isn't such a contentious issue now (create your character offpeak times)

The game itself is the best MMO i've played since WoW. It follows mmo traditions but brings enough to the table to feel fresh all with a slick UI and fantastic story. First mmo i've played that doesn't feel like a

First mmo i've played that doesn't feel like a wow clone. Ignore the wow clone comments (See Rift for an example of a wow clone). I'm sure these people would call every FPS a Doom clone, right?
  52. Aug 27, 2013
    not sure who they hired to run and maintain these servers but they should be fired now. bad launch is bad and this is worse. Also combat is at snail pace at best and quest hubs? really. well nice try but they have a ton of improvements before this game is even alright at best
  53. Aug 27, 2013
    bad storytelling, boring fighting Routine ,quest hub based ,boring mmo Standard classes .Server maintenance everyday, Log in Queue ,disconnects after instances. game state is awful.
  54. Aug 27, 2013
    Avoid buying at all costs. The game is wonderful IF you can get logged in. The North American and European servers have been suffering since open beta and have been largely unplayable for a large portion of the community. The Japanese servers have been fine until launch, and at the slightest sign of population issues, they announced new servers for them, and still no relief for theAvoid buying at all costs. The game is wonderful IF you can get logged in. The North American and European servers have been suffering since open beta and have been largely unplayable for a large portion of the community. The Japanese servers have been fine until launch, and at the slightest sign of population issues, they announced new servers for them, and still no relief for the other half of their player base. If you are in North America or Europe, save your money, Square Enix views you as a second class citizen. Their xenophobic has taken new heights with this release. Expand
  55. Sep 28, 2013
    I gave it a low score mostly because of it is abysmal costumer service during launch and early acess. After all, they are no strangers to the number of game codes sold and should planned accordingly.

With that behind, there are still some game breaking bugs in it. In high crowded Fates (like open world bosses), your target disappears, your party mates are also gone making it close to unplayable. Very bad culling coding. Also, when you reach 50 and wanna do an instance, it is most likely you'll wait for an hour even if you already have a full team. Instance servers doesnt have enough room for player load.

Game starts off boring and slow. Voice Overs are horrible and many in game translation.

However, game starts to pick up around lvl 15 and it only shines from there. You can cross class skills, dungeons are smart with a scaling difficulty and the world is just beautiful.

Crafting is different in a way, you actually have to know how to react to certain conditions in employ proper skills to make it work.
    It is surely a great game to try, if you can put aside the slow start and the said game breaking bugs.
  56. Oct 23, 2015
    I've played a lot of games in my time and this one is bad. It's really simplistic, boring combat (press button, wait for cooldown, press the next button), boring missions (take this item to this guy) and clunky controls. It is designed around consoles so on a PC it is especially awkward to play. It looks like a little kids game, in fact I started to google it to see if it was designed forI've played a lot of games in my time and this one is bad. It's really simplistic, boring combat (press button, wait for cooldown, press the next button), boring missions (take this item to this guy) and clunky controls. It is designed around consoles so on a PC it is especially awkward to play. It looks like a little kids game, in fact I started to google it to see if it was designed for young kids. There is no real meat here, it's a dressed up grind fest. It makes me appreciate how good other mmos such as wow, eve, guildwars2 etc actually are and that I should appreciate them more!
    I really wanted this to be a good game I could sink some time into but I knew it wasn't it before hitting even level 10. The first introduction to the game, the hook that should make you think HELL YEAH, after creating your character is a whole bunch of dialog with no voice acting, it's your hint that this game is bad. Lucky they have a free tryout and I didn't waste money on it, they should have mini download of a few gig so you don't have to waste 20gig of data on it too.
  57. Nov 30, 2015
    I am completely bewildered as to why this game is getting such a positive wrap. Laggy servers, terrible, boring and monotonous quest line, extremely poor UI all add up to make this feel like a title from 2005 (if not for the impressive graphics engine). Even so I'd much rather be playing Vanilla WoW cause it was such a smoother game experience, even 10 years ago in comparison to this.I am completely bewildered as to why this game is getting such a positive wrap. Laggy servers, terrible, boring and monotonous quest line, extremely poor UI all add up to make this feel like a title from 2005 (if not for the impressive graphics engine). Even so I'd much rather be playing Vanilla WoW cause it was such a smoother game experience, even 10 years ago in comparison to this.

Alas, this game does not come close to being a WoW killer, and shows no signs of ever being one.

Do yourself a favour... Don't bother.
  58. May 20, 2016
    Do not get this game on steam. Instead get it from Square Enix who is the manufacturer. Although the versions are identical the Steam one locks you into only playing the Heavensward expansion only from them. Steam is charging double what Square Enix is charging.
  59. Aug 30, 2016
    This game is an account management nightmare. Don't even bother.

This game is an account management nightmare. Don't even bother.

I decided to try this game as a trial account, then the race I wanted to play was locked behind an expansion. So I went and bought the full game and the expansion. Now I can't upgrade my account, I contacted support and they're telling me to either delete the game off my account(yes you heard me right) which I can't do, or create an entirely NEW account.
    That's right folks that's how utterly backwards their trial accounts are, not even contacting support will allow me to upgrade my account.
  60. Jul 21, 2017
    The game was great. But not long ago without of even a sign of notification they increase subscription price in 3 times. After the month of a new expansion, so players cant refunds their money for storm blood. After 2 days of questions of the players the moderator says "just deal with it". It isn't normal. They just don't care about players and do whatever they want without warning. PleaseThe game was great. But not long ago without of even a sign of notification they increase subscription price in 3 times. After the month of a new expansion, so players cant refunds their money for storm blood. After 2 days of questions of the players the moderator says "just deal with it". It isn't normal. They just don't care about players and do whatever they want without warning. Please be careful if you dare to buy it. Expand
  61. Oct 20, 2013
    There were a couple bright spots in this game but overall I found it to be painfully boring. The ability to mix abilities from different classes is a great idea. Unfortunately most abilities feel much the same. Combat felt slow paced. The Questing is its worst flaw. Reading through incredibly dull and unimaginative dialogue from quest giving NPCs was nothing short of a chore. None ofThere were a couple bright spots in this game but overall I found it to be painfully boring. The ability to mix abilities from different classes is a great idea. Unfortunately most abilities feel much the same. Combat felt slow paced. The Questing is its worst flaw. Reading through incredibly dull and unimaginative dialogue from quest giving NPCs was nothing short of a chore. None of it is compelling and I ended up skipping through all of it after a while. The character models look good but the graphics for the environments are sub-par and that's with all settings maxed. The tool used to find a group for dungeons is probably the slowest I've encountered. Especially when considering it can group you with anyone in the NA servers. PVP is completely absent at launch and will be limited when it does come from what I've read. I tried to like this game and gave it some time hoping it would get better as my character progressed but that just didn't happen. Expand
  62. Sep 26, 2013
    I can honestly say I have not been so bored in a MMO since....well...never. The combat is a matter of hitting the same buttons in the same pattern (macrod to my keyboard after first hour) and sidestepping the occasional special attack.
    Quests are kill 10 wolves and fedex as is the standard, but do no reward nearly as much xp as just standing around whopping stuff and hitting any events you see pop up for the same amount of time. In fact ignoring side quests completely led to a much better experience with my second character as I was out of the training wheels portion much earlier.
    When will MMO's figure out that the majority of the people playing can figure out their systems without being forced to do the "tutorial levels" for the first few hours of gameplay? As this game is exactly like every other MMO (with a couple gimmicks) why do I need to spend an hour and a half learning how to do a combo? I figured that out when I got my second attack. Make this crap optional, I have played dozens of these games!
    Much like going from one fast food chain to the other. The wrappers different but the food tastes the same. Just this one requires you subscribe.
  63. Aug 20, 2015
    Ok, at this point I'm an MMO veteran. I've played dozens of these things since SWG and while I wasn't around for EQ or DAoC, I've seen most of the big titles. FFXIV is an anime themed WoW 2.0 theme park MMO that's pretty conventional to 2004 game play. That it's subscription only in this day and age of F2P bailouts is remarkable. However, it's not because of any secret in game play orOk, at this point I'm an MMO veteran. I've played dozens of these things since SWG and while I wasn't around for EQ or DAoC, I've seen most of the big titles. FFXIV is an anime themed WoW 2.0 theme park MMO that's pretty conventional to 2004 game play. That it's subscription only in this day and age of F2P bailouts is remarkable. However, it's not because of any secret in game play or innovative storytelling. The game play is pretty much WoW with a prettier skin on it. The story is some of the most painful mary sue anime archetypal tripe you'll ever come across. I think it's ability to hold subs directly correlates to the fan base for the IP. Simply, it is P2P because SQ fans are willing to pay to get their fix.

It does a few things very well. Most notably, right off the bat you're introduced to a very robust fast travel system, both intra-city and global map wide. The class mechanic is unique in that it allows any character to level any class; active class is dictated by the implements equipped. The world and characters are appealing, especially if you're a fan of the anime style. As a roleplayer, it has one of the most active RP communities in any game I've ever seen. Cities are full of folks roleplaying at all hours, every day (on Balmung). The game also seems to cater to these folks, with robust housing (instanced lots) and cosmetic gear.

That said, it does some things horribly. This is old school tab targeting. This is old school toolbar drive rotation repeat combat. When people are scripting macros to do combat and crafting (which is also toolbar driven) because it's tedious, you know you have a problem. Quests are your standard fare: kill fetch and escort. Kill quests tend to be short, which is good, but fetch quests tend to be long and take you between multiple zones with excessive loading times due to the pretty art. Escort quests are highly tedious, requiring you to manually emote at your charge to get them to follow you. Leveling is fast, at least early, but very grindy and repetitive because of the over simplification of combat.

Perhaps my biggest complain is that one of the most interesting features, housing, is locked behind a level 50 grind wall. As a roleplayer, housing is what will make be pay a sub. It's a space to play in. Having to slog through 50 levels of grindy game just to get to it is a show stopper. Not to mention when those quests end up bugged, failing to turn in and wasting your time. Finally, there should be a check box to skip ALL cut scenes in the game. In this day and age, forcing your player to sit through these is totally unacceptable. If folks want to get on with their play, let them do so, SQ. Finally, putting basic items like the Auction House as unlockables behind a dungeon based quest system? Yes, they did that. And that's just one example. FFXIV and SQ like to lock features of their game behind a large collection of hoops. It's how they spread out your time and grind your sub money out of you. Well... the players. My 30 days are up in about two weeks and I think I'll be moving on.

The good:
    Well implement Fast Travel
    Interesting Multi-class mechanic
    Aesthetic appeal
    RP Community
    Has Housing

The Bad:
    Total lack of innovation in gameplay
    Excessive grind
    Housing locked behind grind to 50
    Buggy quests still present after the reboot
    Unskippable cutscenes
    Basic functionality unlocks behind multiplayer dungeon quest completion

P.S. Also note, which this maybe a Haven for roleplayers, getting into that haven, the Balmung server, will cost you. SQ for whatever reason ties their character creation to server queue. So if a server is full, you can't create characters on it. Balmung always has a queue and so it's virtually impossible to ever create characters on it. There's occasionally a window after maintenance (4AM PST) but otherwise, the only way to get onto the server is via the transfer service of Mog Station. That's $18 USD, for as many characters as you like from one server to another. Worth it if you're a roleplayer to some at least, but still, consider the extra cost if that's what you're coming to FFXIV for.
  64. Oct 1, 2013
    This game reinforces a really simple rule everyone who plays games should live by. Either buy a game flat-out, or pay for subscription, DONT DO BOTH. There is ZERO reason for them to charge people and then continue to charge people every month. Such a waste of money.

There are way too many free games out there to waste your money. Play a free game or a game you only have to pay for once. Donate the 13$ a month to your local foodbank. It would do the world more good.
  65. Oct 30, 2013
    The game has very nice graphics. How ever it just becomes boring and a chore to play after a bit. I did not last a month with it. if you like repetition over and over then this game is for you. I tried to play a conjurer (healing class), apparently I was not too good at it. Skills are boring. As a healer when I got heal 2 I could not use it as I ran out of mana healing. What didThe game has very nice graphics. How ever it just becomes boring and a chore to play after a bit. I did not last a month with it. if you like repetition over and over then this game is for you. I tried to play a conjurer (healing class), apparently I was not too good at it. Skills are boring. As a healer when I got heal 2 I could not use it as I ran out of mana healing. What did not make sense is your skills like heal 1 would heal for the same amount but each level you attained the cost to cast it went up. This game wasn't for me. I give it a 3 because the graphics were really good. Expand
  66. Nov 11, 2013
    While it looks all shiny and pretty it is actually a grind fest with lots of problems. You only get quests once, but allowed to do all classes. So once you get to your second class it is grind till you go blind. Hours and hours of running in circles. Then if you are a lower level and trying to complete a quests, you are competing against a level 50 farming for items from same mob. He oneWhile it looks all shiny and pretty it is actually a grind fest with lots of problems. You only get quests once, but allowed to do all classes. So once you get to your second class it is grind till you go blind. Hours and hours of running in circles. Then if you are a lower level and trying to complete a quests, you are competing against a level 50 farming for items from same mob. He one shots everything so you either party up with him and stand there while he kills or you wait hours. Now the party up problem is, providing he will, is that you get lower exp if any cause you get ZERO hits in. Plus you do not learn how to play your class at all this way. The community is worst that World of Warcrafts andI thought that would be impossible. These people are down right hateful and snobby. Do not ask for help in the shout chat, they call you names and laugh at you. Oh and did I mention the relentless spamming in general chat and whispers by gold spammers. It is non stop and makes playing very difficult at times.

Over all this is a bad game I would not recommend it to anyone. The only good thing Square Enix did was make it pretty. Another failure in my book with new clothes on.
  67. Sep 11, 2013
    Now a mediocre game instead of an abysmal turd. This qualifies as a tremendous turn around for Square Enix, but don't expect anything other than archaic mechanics and a mundane story.
  68. Nov 6, 2013
    The game is a total grid fest. Yes you can have one toon and do it all but OMG. There’s only enough quests out there for 2 “MAYBE” 3 classes worth of grinding and that’s still doing fates Rifts like in rift or should I say stolen from Rift or ark falls in defiance) The combat system is complete trash every ability is on a global cool down due to the cross platform factor. Set a macro andThe game is a total grid fest. Yes you can have one toon and do it all but OMG. There’s only enough quests out there for 2 “MAYBE” 3 classes worth of grinding and that’s still doing fates Rifts like in rift or should I say stolen from Rift or ark falls in defiance) The combat system is complete trash every ability is on a global cool down due to the cross platform factor. Set a macro and auto combat. While the game looks GREAT the mechanics and game play is so far below the line to even call it a Final Fantasy game. Gold spammers ever where, and due to SE’s lack of planning for the PC gamers there is no such thing and right click so if u want to ignore someone that takes an hour to open the menu then try to catch the spammer through the waves upon waves of spam. Within the first week of open game play you couldn’t walk into a town without getting spam in gen chat and IM’d constantly… Crafting is ok not the best crafting system out there, again a system stolen from another game. The crafting system is much like that of Vanguard, however the market is so trashed due to all the gold farmers you can’t make any money, and on top of that, that is how SE expects you to make money so good luck there. The community is the worst part though, one of the main grind instances for level 50+ gear just happens to be the 2nd to last instance of the main quest line. People speed run that instance and just leave the new comers behind they don’t even care if it’s your 1st or 50th time through. While this game could be great it falls short in a big way.
    Find a demo or get on a friends account. This game is good for about 1 month then the grind and the community will get you and you will wish you had every cent back.
  69. Sep 24, 2013
    Be careful if buying this game.
    The game is riddled with unrestrained RMT bots, hacked user accounts that are used as RMT mules that when banned Squeenix refuses to reestablish. Heavy lag problems, long(90min+) dungeon finder queues along with unstable dungeon servers. The game is so poorly coded that high end gpu’s tend to run at very sloppy fps. (Same with Sli/Crossfire)
    As if this
    Be careful if buying this game.
    As if this wasn't good enough their customer support is the worst of any MMO ever to have graced us. Their email support takes 24hrs to create your ticket and 48hrs to receive a copy/paste response to any issue you may be having. Long wait times on phone/chat (2:00hrs+) only to be cut off because there are no agents available after you were already on a queue during working hours!! And even if you get lucky and are able to get attended by an agent they never resolve the issue and always respond with a 'Prepared response' followed by disconnecting the chat/phone call.
    Oh, but wait there's more. You'll love this one. They refuse to take your money. That's right, their payment system is so archaic and sloppy that it's unable to properly process your credit cards. After the first attempt fails your credit card gets locked for 24hrs and each additional attempt resets the timer and adds more wait time (48-72hrs). Until the systems locks your card for 30days. All this information was gathered via phone. The payment process makes no mention of this nor does it provide a way for you to see the time left on your lock down so you're left guessing whether or not you already have the 30 day restriction and resetting the timer if you attempt to use it again. (Customer service doesn't have a way to tell you either )
    Square Enix response to the issue? "It's your fault" "Your credit card denies the payment" Even after repeatedly informing them via email, chat, phone and forums that after calling to our respective banks (that's right more than one credit card/bank) there was no issue with them.
    OK, so paying with cc is a no-go. Let's try their "Crysta" system (it's a payment system similar to Xbox microsoft points). Assuming you fall under their designated allowed countries (Brazil & Venezuela aren't part of America and Puerto Rico isn't part of the USA Sqeenix has spoken!) you will be able to buy crysta via the UltimatePay option by buying their pre-paid $20 cards. Please note that this card will also be rejected by Squeenix and you will be required to call UltimatePay support in order for them to manually push the crysta onto your account once you provide them the card code via phone call.
    I strongly recommend staying away from this game until Square Enix fixes all these issues if at all. Please note that from past experience (FFXI, FFXIV) Square Enix has for the most part always ignored the player and done their own thing at their own pace. If anything I hope this post helps new players get a clearer picture of what they're getting into after paying for the game.

Current outstanding issues on forums for those interested:
    Payment Method Registration Errors [Error Code 401 and 601]
    Can't Buy Crysta
    Error 2002 and 90000

You can view all issues at their Technical Support Forum:
  70. Sep 26, 2013
    The game is simplistic, slow and inflexible. Did I say slow? There's a 2.5second global cooldown that leaves you wanting to do something else while in combat.. like watch tv. There's no variety in building your character, all white mages are the same, all warriors are the same, there's nothing to make you unique or stand out. Many of the cross class skills you can use are often soThe game is simplistic, slow and inflexible. Did I say slow? There's a 2.5second global cooldown that leaves you wanting to do something else while in combat.. like watch tv. There's no variety in building your character, all white mages are the same, all warriors are the same, there's nothing to make you unique or stand out. Many of the cross class skills you can use are often so underpowered that they are a waste of MP, TP and a global cooldown to cast.

For a game that has been re-released, there are so many empty areas with NPCs that have no quests to give. There are also insufficient quests to level you completely and then little to no quests available to level the rest of the classes that it forces you to play on the same character. In other words there is insufficient content for a new release, let alone a re-released game. The public quest system called FATES is also simplistic and boring. Coming from having played Warhammer and Rift, the public quests here are a total letdown and the game forces you to grind these boring public quests to level subsequent characters. The dungeon matchmaker forces you to wait 40-90 minutes for a group unless you play a white mage which makes dungeons a lousy method of gaining XP or progressing.

Character balancing also leaves much to be desired. Playing a melee in high level dungeons leaves you running away from boss attacks more often than actually attacking causing your damage to be lousy and leading groups to always prefer having ranged damage dealers over melee. Playing a ranged just leaves you standing around pressing 1..2..3.. repeatedly. Of the two tank classes, no one wants a Warrior in group and any high level group will insist on the tank being a Paladin instead. This may be acceptable if this was a game just out of beta, but for a re-release, it's not just disappointing, it's a ripoff.
  71. Sep 28, 2013
    It's pretty and what's there is polished but overall, FFXIV is a stripped down and dumber than usual post WoW clone that plays too fast and easy and which has little chance of keeping players busy like the old school MMORPGs it wants to copy (in regard to subs, little about the game itself is old school at all). FFXIV lacks MANY quality of life touches and features typically found inIt's pretty and what's there is polished but overall, FFXIV is a stripped down and dumber than usual post WoW clone that plays too fast and easy and which has little chance of keeping players busy like the old school MMORPGs it wants to copy (in regard to subs, little about the game itself is old school at all). FFXIV lacks MANY quality of life touches and features typically found in premium (MMO)RPGs. Making the game work on out of date consoles diminishes the PC potential.

The story quests are generic, simplistic, and tedious. Other quests, when they exist are ultra simplistic and silly easy. The game has a public quest system called fates that are almost always zero challenge, zero threat, and tons of reward for doing nothing. Often at times while leveling, or especially when leveling alt classes, you'll ONLY be able to do fates you will do many fates. The dungeons have very fun bosses but are filled with tedious trash.

Endgame is pretty typical grind some content, get your special currency, hand it in for gear, except in FFXIV there isn't a whole lot of content to grind to get that gear. Endgame content is an odd mix of very few challenging encounters mixed with some stupidly easy content and players tend to grind the least challenging most rewarding content (since there are no lockouts or restrictions or limits) so most players grind the same 2 instance several times a day for days.

The game suffers big time from quality of life issues. No attributes or important stats on item comparison, clunky/brutal inventory system, clunkier/more brutal armoire system, cumbersome banking/market/ah system, no item preview, no server transfers, and on and on the list goes.

FFXIV has a 2.5 second global cooldown, which is the wait time between actions in combat. You either fire an instant ability and wait 2.5s before you can act again, or you have spells with a 2.5s or higher casting time. The 2.5s GCD slows down combat. The theory is that it gives players more time to think although when you have simplified and stripped down and simplistic classes as in FFXIV, there isn't much to think about. Most MMORPGs (except FFXI, the predecessor) have a 1.5s GCD and often give you ways to reduce it to 1s or give you abilities "off the GCD".

FFXIV has somewhat pretty graphics but for one thing, it has smallish zones with little to no exploration value, invisible barriers, you can't go in water or swim or fall off a cliff and die, or fall off a bridge, you can't jump off a dock into the ocean, you can't go into water that's more than knee deep, and so on. The bigger issue with the graphics is that the engine can't render lots of avatars at once, so in some game content, like when rare level 50 bosses appear every few days and hundreds of players show up, you can see maybe 20 players near you and may or may not be able to see and target the boss even when standing right on him.

One of the potentially interesting things about FFXIV that ends up not being so great is how they do their class system. Any character can unlock and do any class (crafting and gathering disciplines are classes too). Some skills from a given class can be used wither classes (cross class skills) that allows you to augment your character a little. Then eventually you unlock jobs (prereq levels from 2 classes, for ex, gladiator conjuror paladin). Where this kind of breaks down is with the fact that jobs are highly restricted for cross class skills and even the base classes can often only find so many usefull skills to tack on, such that in the end, every player ends up being similar because there are so few choices.

FFXIV doesn't have talents or any other way to customize your character, so with cross class skills being so limited, you end up with everybody being the same. On top of that all gear looks the same and there's no real customization (there are armor dyes but you can't dye the better gear. As a result, every player is a clone.

The crafting system is a mix of a cool minigame style of going for high quality with skills and finite resources, but this ends up being brutally tedious to level up and since crafted gear is generic with drops and quest rewards until level 50, there isn't much point to crafting except to max it out for endgame.

Gathering is also a minigame of sorts in that you can use skills to increase gathering change or to get high quality materials. Cool idea that's buried in brutal tedium as you run around in a circle tapping 4 tightly placed nodes that respawn faster than you circle.

The game had a brutal release and even now players can wait 15-45 minutes to "reserve" a level 50 instance even joining as a full group.

The game is plagued with gil spammers (RMT) in public chat and whispers.

Console tie in results in small zones, tons of loading screens, screwy UI design, and 3/4 of cutscenes having no voice overs. Even the tiny cities are multi-zoned.
  72. Oct 3, 2013
    You can get to max level super fast. If you are one of those players that puts in a full 3 day weekend. You could probably get a max level character in that time. Then at max level you have a few choices. First you need to gear up a bit. That requires that you repeat the same dungeon over and over until you have enough of the currency required to buy that gear.

After you gear up (Really

After you gear up (Really takes no time at all even tho its super tedious and repetitive) You have have the option to do raid content. Yay. Well there is only one raid so far. A single 8 man raid for you to take down and repeat weekly.

So, now you have a max level character and you have some gear. What to do, what to do. Run coil, wait a week, rinse repeat.

tl:dr Pace of the game is super fast leaving you with next to nothing to do in a very short amount of time.
  73. Hue
    Oct 18, 2013
    Shall we begin with the force fed story or the fact that it took them over 2 months to get friends on the same server together?

I should have taken my initial suspicions about this game and stuck to them. Just turn around before you waste your time working in a game. It will take you countless hours or boring repetitive story line quests to unlock end game dungeons. Just turn around and pick a game that was actually developed for the story.

This should have been marketed as a JRPG with ONLINE CONTENT as opposed to an MMORPG.
  74. Nov 30, 2013
    I'm a big FF franchise fan and I was stoked to play this, lots of hype. There's good and bad, as with every game, but overall I found this game to be incredibly underwhelming. A great big "MEH". I really wasn't sucked in the way I have been with other games, even though it offers some really cool (albeit unoriginal things).

Good: -Price, $30 is pretty reasonable, considering what you

Good: -Price, $30 is pretty reasonable, considering what you get
    - Graphics are amazing, though not recommended for anything less than an Nvidia 570 or above, or radeon 6870 and above if you want to get close to ultra settings, it's pretty demanding on systems.
    - Lots of detail, the mounts, pets, cities, characters and country side are very well drawn out with lots of little features
    - Great story lines adult scripts, not fluff for little kids, there's swearing and some "colorful" themes lol
    - Seems to be a decent crafting system in place, lots of mats to farm for ppl that like that thing

Cons: Quests don't teach you much, you really have to make google your friend with this game. Can be very confusing and infuriating trying to figure out how to play and how to complete a quest. Like under quest objectives it will say "complete the quest objective". Ya, thanks for that...
    - Skills are very limited and very banal. Enjoy your half dozen ineffective skills with no customization.
    - Everyone looks the same. You're gonna wear THIS armor, and you're gonna not like it. No dressing room either.
    - Very tedious UI and game mechanics. To hand in an item you have to talk to the NPC, open your item log, click on the item to select "hand over" or place it in the "hand over box" then press "hand over". Iknowright?
    - Map tells you nothing, and there's icons all over the place that you will have no idea what they are, next to players, next to mobs, above NPCs. It's a crapshoot.
    - absolutely 0 visible range on mobs, PCs or NPCs. You can see them, but mousing over them does nothing past about 50 yards. That'll be fun for pvp...

I'm sure they'll eventually fix it up and change a lot of things, they've already made some improvements while I was playing, but as of Dec 1/13 I would say wait another 3 months or so or you might become really disappointed and never come back to it.
  75. Jun 15, 2015
    This game is the final nail in the coffin for my love of the Final Fantasy series. FFXIV is a HUGE pain in the butt to even get started and has a monthly subscription- on top of the game's initial price tag. It is largely a chore to play and is designed more to eat up time more-so than actually be fun.

FFXIV is chocked full of mindless fetch quests that have you delivering trivial

FFXIV is chocked full of mindless fetch quests that have you delivering trivial items, like tea leaves, from NPC A to NPC B. In typical MMORPG format you will run the same dungeons and kill the same mobs for endless hours for drops and levels. Again, most of this game is designed simply to eat up time doing menial tasks repeatedly to keep you subscribing for months to make progress.

My main purpose for writing this bad review, however, is to warn about the ungodly amount of spam it has. The spam here is worse than anything I've ever seen in a game- including free to play games. On many servers it is so unbearable that people either have to use 3rd party tools to block some of it (which is against the ToS) or simply turn off the personal chat function. The whole freaking POINT of an MMO is to interact with other players, but many people struggle doing that due to all of the spam messages we are constantly bombarded with.

The "Report Spam" function in this game is basically nonexistent and most players don't even know how to do this. SE basically expects you to stop what you are doing, log into their website, fill out a form for each spam message, and send it to their "Special Task Force" (which is basically 3 employees for all of North America). What makes this even more ludicrous is that we sometimes get a dozen or more of these spam messages from various characters with names like "Dffrffddf Gffgfdfg" every few minutes. This has been a problem with them for the last 2 years and it really hasn't gotten any better. Basically, they just don't care. It is totally unacceptable.

Anyone that says this isn't a problem is either in a locked server that's hard to get an account on (for bots and players alike) or are on a Japanese server (which SE seems to actually give a damn about). NA/EU servers, as a whole, are completely spammed into oblivion and the developers just don't care. As a US player, I personally take this as a slap in the face.

As an added bonus, a large part of this game's community consists of elitist metrosexual douchebags. Sure, there are nice people that play, but expect the obnoxious ones to drown them out. If you're new to a dungeon in end-game there is a very large probability you will be insulted non-stop and possibly kicked out of the party. You can expect rudeness and petty arguments in nearly every raid. This community is so toxic that- if understanding people like me try to explain the mechanics of a dungeon to new people- even I get hate for taking the time to do so. The mentality basically boils down to "GO! GO! GO! YOU SUCK, NOOB!!!" Of course, when they inevitably wipe due to this attitude, they rage quit. This might not sound so bad on its own, but often there is an hour wait *just to get into a dungeon*!

If you like being trolled by metrosexual half-naked cat-men and spammed nonstop by bots trying to sell you game money for real money, then this is the game for you. If you want to make friends to go on an exciting and engaging adventure with, however, look elsewhere.
  76. Jan 29, 2015
    It's a good MMO overall, but it falls short of being great by any means.

It's a good MMO overall, but it falls short of being great by any means.

To put things into perspective: I didn't play FFXIV 1.0 and I haven't played an FF game in years before this. I have, however, played my share of MMOs, both sandbox and themepark: ArcheAge, WoW, Guild Wars 1 and 2, SWtoR. I'm not an FF fanboy by any means, but I would call myself somewhat jaded by the MMO industry of late.

After putting in about 40 hours I have to say, plain and simple, I got bored. I didn't even reach the endgame, but already I was yearning for... more. More exploration maybe would have helped. More variety surely would have. FFXIV ARR has good content, enjoyable classes, fun crafting minigames, and I liked the FATE system even when it was repetitive. The idea of hunting down monsters for rewards is a nice twist, too.

Really though, that's where the game ends and should have begun. There's no difference in this class system compared to any of the other games I mentioned above (with ArcheAge being the only possible exception). It could just be me, but I'm perfectly okay with making a new character to try out a different class, and that's essentially what you are doing whether you admit it or not - when you take a new job, your level goes back to 1 and you start over, accomplishing the same end through slightly different means. There's certainly nothing new about the questing, other than that the quests were honestly a whole lot easier than I expected, which partially led to the boredom I've experienced and ultimately in putting the game down for good.

I like to think that this game is the same skeleton of the traditional themepark MMO (quest hub system, group and raid finder for parties, the good ol' leveling and crafting grind we know and hate) with the pretty colors of Square's AMAZING Final Fantasy universe painted all over it. So if you like that, this is a game worth looking at because at it's core, everything is present and shown off very well.

The bottom line is that the MMO gamer picks up an MMO, as he or she has done time and time again, and plays it looking for something that improves on that design while still presenting the traditional elements in a way that is... well... palatable is a good word. If the amount of people still playing SWtoR is any indication, we will put up with any amount of bugs and terrible graphical quality as long as the GAME is fun. A lot of people will happily take that same formula in stride when it looks and feels this much better. However, the MMO gamer who's looking for the next new hit, the next fun, innovative game, will not settle for the skeleton model any more. We'll play it to see if we can tolerate it and when we can't find anything new and exciting in it, we'll move on and never look at it again.

Sadly, that's what I'm going to have to do with this title - move on and never look at it again.
  77. Sep 7, 2013
    It's really a funny mmorpg. Much better than version 1.0. The history is good, the gameplay is great and challenges offer fun to the players.

It's really funny to play the dungeons and trials of this game with your friends and free companies.

It's a good option to players who are looking for non free-to-play mmo's.
  78. Oct 3, 2013
    Game is too boring. Played for almost 30 hours. As a conjurer i was just spamming aero, not doing anything else to win a fight (except run). The evolution was very slow at some parts.

Found missions and storyline meanless, with no relevant content. Items where all about the sanme. I felt a kind of waste of time with this game. Most of the time i felt a sense of "I am lost and alone"

Most of the time i felt a sense of "I am lost and alone" looking for the mission objectives. Map is a complete nonsense and let you dizzy.

Didnt see anything new or relevant to continue to play. It was extremelly boring and at the end i realize it was a waste of money.

Also the necessary monthly fee was not so clear before I purchase the game... a TIP for everyone who wants to adventure yourself.
  79. Oct 9, 2013
    Game is still in it's prime and it will grow..better...NOT! Cause game is not new, it is an overhaul of ff 14 1.0 version, then it has serious mechanism flaws..Once you run out of main and sub quests in order to level your class/job you need to do dungeons (you need a guild called here free company for it cause auto party matcher waiting time will kill you as dps)or mostly grind fates forGame is still in it's prime and it will grow..better...NOT! Cause game is not new, it is an overhaul of ff 14 1.0 version, then it has serious mechanism flaws..Once you run out of main and sub quests in order to level your class/job you need to do dungeons (you need a guild called here free company for it cause auto party matcher waiting time will kill you as dps)or mostly grind fates for xp..a some sort of rift/GW2 dynamic events but with this kind of slow paced combat it turns horrible and uninspired..(take your mount search on map Fates and go..).Most important thing in a mmo is combat and enjoy to progress, here i was frustrated and you can see a lot of players didn't resub. SE need to change leveling to make a non blind FF fans to stay Expand
  80. Oct 10, 2013
    To say this game is outdated is putting it very kindly.

Pros: 1) The ability to make a chat channel that's specific to a group of people that you choose is nice. No more spamming guild chat to talk to your smaller group of buddies all at once. 2) Inventory space is a non-issue from the get go. Finally a game that sees that it's more annoying than anything else to have to 'build
    To say this game is outdated is putting it very kindly.

Pros:

2) Inventory space is a non-issue from the get go. Finally a game that sees that it's more annoying than anything else to have to 'build up' inventory space. On a side note, the gear not going into your normal inventory is nice as well.

Cons:
    1) The map functionality is so convoluted you have to "figure it out"... That's MMO gaming 101 folks... an easy to use map. They failed at that. Badly.

2) The chat functionality lacks basic abilities like right clicking on the names of gold farmers and/or greifer-types to block/report them...

3) Quest turn ins... WHY on God's green earth, do I have to drag a quest item from my inventory, to a special quest turn in window just to turn in the quest... No other MMO that I've ever played does this. It's absurd, and a waste of my time.

4) Gathering... a) gathering sucks, other MMO's (think SWTOR) have found ways around this. Take a look at them & stop wasting players' time, and b) Why is it that I, all of the sudden, can't cast a spell, swing a sword/axe, or even wear the same clothing just 'cause I'm picking berries?!?!?!?! Stupid. Just plain stupid.

5) The combat system is beyond dated. It's standard vanilla WoW. There's no active combat like, say, Guild Wars 2, or Tera for example where you actively dodge. It's the same boring, no thought, button clicking rotation that people used 7 years ago where you occasionally have to step out of the red circle on the ground.

6) Last but not least... you have to travel on Chickens. No further explanation needed.

Honestly, I don't care if they screwed up their first version, and this one is 'way' better. It's still not as good as a lot of other games currently out there, and they want people to pay a monthly fee for this... HA!! Good luck.
  81. Aug 30, 2013
    Really good game, very polished. Everything but the combat and class system is 10/10. Best UI, QoL, Vanilla WoW feel. Combat is currently slow and the class system is very convoluted and unnecessary. Would give the game a good 8.5/10 until they make changes to combat. Giving it a 10/10 to counter the idiots giving it a 0 because they couldn't log in the first second on the first day.
  82. Sep 11, 2013
    While I'd love to give this game a 10, I can't. The server login issues alone warrant a reduction in rating. Most of those are being resolved and the game is actually quite good. Graphics are good for a PS3 open world game. The plot lines seem good so far. I would encourage people to spend some time with the game before making a judgement on their own. The now free upgrade to the PS4While I'd love to give this game a 10, I can't. The server login issues alone warrant a reduction in rating. Most of those are being resolved and the game is actually quite good. Graphics are good for a PS3 open world game. The plot lines seem good so far. I would encourage people to spend some time with the game before making a judgement on their own. The now free upgrade to the PS4 version next year is just another plus. Expand
  83. Sep 13, 2013
    First of all; play this on PC. The goosebump factor in this game is very high. They have taken past elements of all that made the FF series awesome and put it into one game. It almost feels like FFTactics the MMO. Combat is a little slow paced, so if you're one of those twitchy game players you'll feel held back. Two of the instances near the point of the game that separatesFirst of all; play this on PC. The goosebump factor in this game is very high. They have taken past elements of all that made the FF series awesome and put it into one game. It almost feels like FFTactics the MMO. Combat is a little slow paced, so if you're one of those twitchy game players you'll feel held back. Two of the instances near the point of the game that separates levelling from end-game are fantastic. Some of the best stuff i've seen, even from single player games. The boss fights in those instances make you certainly feel like you've earned it by the time you've beaten them. After those instances, however, there doesn't feel like your character has any real reason to keep going. There are contrived reasons given to you by NPC's, but once you're done with the main story quest chain you've pretty much beaten the game. Expand
  84. Oct 7, 2013
    FFXIV:ARR is a 1000 times better than the failure the initial release was, and I think we all agree on that. But sadly FFXIV:ARR has become 'yet an other MMO' like so many are. It's not really offering anything new in mechanics it's all been done before. The story though is is very well told, but what else can you expect from a FF game?

Graphics at maxed settings are excellent, but my

Graphics at maxed settings are excellent, but my GPUs (GTX460 SLI) do run close to full performance. Music is good too, and for once that 'standard' FF tune isn't the only one played in a FF game.

Personally I think there are enough equivalent MMOs out there that do not require a monthly subscription. I have paid up front for 3 months, but I already can't be bothered to really play it because of it's mediocre mechanics and gameplay.
  85. Jan 12, 2014
    Leaving this review because this game is just way way better than the 7.3 average score it has from the community. If you spend a little while reading the reviews here, pay attention to the date! You will find that there are a bunch of 8's 9's 10's from current reviews and then a bunch of 1's and 0's that are almost all back from August when it launched and impatient nerds freaked thatLeaving this review because this game is just way way better than the 7.3 average score it has from the community. If you spend a little while reading the reviews here, pay attention to the date! You will find that there are a bunch of 8's 9's 10's from current reviews and then a bunch of 1's and 0's that are almost all back from August when it launched and impatient nerds freaked that there were game server issues....for an mmo launch.... Since then they have added a bunch of servers, brought huge patches and generally explained that there was just way more initial demand for the game than they had ever expected. Well, I can undertstand the whiner reviews (sort of) but the end result is a metacritic number that is (even objectively speaking).. not an indication of the game's quality, but an average of the differences of opinion from those who came here to complain at the initial launch, to those who waited a bit to actually play/review.

All of that aside, this game is absolutely wonderful. It's got that delightful FF universe, Square polish, the benefit of the advancements in the genre by games that came before it, and some incredibly smart design decisions. I have a hard time describing that part but there are just little details that you will see constantly as a reminder that this is a very new high quality MMO, it's learned from its predecessors and has thought of smarter ways to do the little things throughout the entire game. I have played WoW since vanilla, Rift, SW:Tor, Anarchy Online, DCUO, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter, others i'm forgetting etc. and this is a very, VERY worthy modern day release of the MMO. They didn't reinvent much, but they did a lot of things smarter/better and the game world is absolutely gorgeous and the soundtrack is absolutely top notch. I enjoy the cross classing and freedom the game gives you. I have a blast with the gameplay as there are so many attempts to unlimit your freedom, change back and forth between classes without logging, do all your crafting on one char, have a backpack for every single gear slot that simply pops up when you click the gear slot you are looking for so as not to clutter the UI or your main bags. Crafting is actually somewhat fun because they built a minigame with leveling and abilities around it. Teleport to the town you want to go to instantly and from anywhere with no cooldown (but a gil cost), and use waypoints within the towns for free. Never need to mail yourself an item for your alt again.....(i'll let that one sit a minute)...because YOU are the alt, just equip a new gear set and your hotbars change along with it, and your level changes to whatever you've leveled that class to. Great for helping friends, although you can always sync your level down to that of your friends so you can always play a main with a friend and not ruin their exp or difficulty level.

Lastly, it's subscription....and I am so thankful for that. I was getting so incredibly sick of all the F2P crapola that would try and squeeze as much real life money out of you as possible and at every other turn. I am more than happy to pay for quality and be free from the annoyances of getting nickle and dimed and bombarded with reasons to want to fill up the mmo cash tank. This game is saving me more per month by saving me from blowing through other games than I'm spending on it. Just take my money and deliver thanks, this game does.

TL;DR I'm a hardcore MMO vet and have enjoyed FF since the first one; I am in love with this game right now as are some of my other WoW buddies and similar longtime MMO players. Well worth your gaming dollar.
  86. Jun 4, 2015
    Worst mmorpg I have ever played! First time log in you get bombarded with RMT friend requests by the end of your game play you have just received over 100 friend requests. SE support does nothing but tell you to blist and send a suggestion to them about it. You will spend more time blisting then enjoying the game. SE support is supposedly looking into the issue but I doubt they will doWorst mmorpg I have ever played! First time log in you get bombarded with RMT friend requests by the end of your game play you have just received over 100 friend requests. SE support does nothing but tell you to blist and send a suggestion to them about it. You will spend more time blisting then enjoying the game. SE support is supposedly looking into the issue but I doubt they will do anything since these accounts help make them money. In my opinion these so called support people are the ones engaged in these gil selling activities and will do nothing until they recuperate the money lost during the flopped release of this game. If you want to enjoy a mmorpg this is not the game to buy and dedicate your free time. Expand
  87. Aug 31, 2013

88. Sep 2, 2013
    Amazing game! Just hit 50 and I still can't get enough of this game! the content is hard near end game and the game promises even harder content and expansions! Even with the server issues that is the only downside of the game, it's personaly speaking, a wow killer. I feel like it is what Titan would have been.
  89. Sep 7, 2013
    Probably the best MMO of all time, and I have played a lot! Graphics best in any game currently out,and adapted for ps3 version, also coming up on ps4 as well. Those who are comparing it to only ps3 version graphics are sadly mistaken. PC's make this game so beautiful. Gameplay, most people complaing about the game clearly haven't even made it to end game. People complaining aboutProbably the best MMO of all time, and I have played a lot! Graphics best in any game currently out,and adapted for ps3 version, also coming up on ps4 as well. Those who are comparing it to only ps3 version graphics are sadly mistaken. PC's make this game so beautiful. Gameplay, most people complaing about the game clearly haven't even made it to end game. People complaining about grind, lets be realistic, this is a game of earning things, and not given to you with little effort. With that said, we are only 2 weeks into the game, and I work 50+ hours a week, and have already completed a class to 50, main storyline finished, and a gathering class to 50. If people think that's a grind, then they know nothing about the world of MMO's lol.

Endgame: So much here to do, with content being flushed out every 3 months. Hard mode fights, Dungeon's, relic quest, Epic fates, Crafting, Gathering luminary weapons, Primal fights, 24 man instances, PvP, etc....

Don't be confused with the negativity of a new start, the reason everyone is congesting the servers, is because tons of people are loving to play the game, that should give you indication of how good this game is. My advice, stick through the early levels, and congestion problems, you will be glad you did!! I guarantee you that!
  90. Sep 7, 2013
    The game had some flaws when I first started out, I couldn't log in. I played the original version, I really didn't have a problem with the original version until I played ARR. It is just a vast improvement over the original in every way! The only thing this game is missing is more classes.
  91. Sep 7, 2013
    Much better since the update. This has been the most fun I have had playing a MMO in a long time. Also, the graphics are amazing for a MMO. Truly beautiful in certain areas.
  92. Aug 30, 2013
    This game is a masterstroke in experience exactly the way Final Fantasy titles should be.

The game feels extremely traditional in terms of Final Fantasy the story and game lean heavily towards the Fantasy end of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi spectrum. The combat is slower than other MMOs where trying to watch your character fight is an exercise in the suspension of disbelief. Here, Monks roll through complex series of tackles, punches and spinning kicks in a believable sequence while Paladins actually appear to be blocking with their shields.

The biggest shock here is the total lack of Talent trees. I admit I made it all the way to 50 and didn't even notice until somebody mentioned it in passing in our Free Company's chat. I don't miss it at all.

The story is unbelievably interwoven into the leveling experience in a way no other MMO has ever achieved. My character was an active participant in gorgeous cutscenes, and she really seemed like a bona-fide hero. The lip service other games pay to the concept of the player as the central hero of the story pales in comparison to FFXIV, where rather than 'oh, and a band of adventurers managed to defeat the firelord,' by the end of the story it's more along the lines of 'oh, holy hell, it's that Hero who is central to the story now.'

The boss fights are appropriately amazing, with the primal fights rivaling some of the greatest moments from Ulduar and Firelands in WoW. These boss fights are gorgeous, as is the entire game no MMO on the market looks like this.

Crafting is a huge delight. It starts off nearly as simple as in other MMOs, but by the level cap the sheer number of abilities and choices will lead to desperate struggles to correctly create a +1 piece of max-level gear. These items are easily boss fights for crafters in their own rights, and the complexity of this system is entirely unrivaled in the MMO market.

This is an experience no gamer should miss. The entire creation is a love letter to Final Fantasy fans and gamers in general. It may not objectively be to some as good an MMO as GWII or WoW, but it has the secret sauce that makes people fall in love with a game.
  93. Sep 3, 2013
    This MMO is one of the most enjoyable I have played in years. It has its launch issues with too many players not enough servers, but they are being fixed. So I am being patiently cause the game itself is BRILLIANT ^^ Well worth the wait
  94. Sep 4, 2013
    Final Fantasy ARR is a completely different game from the original release. I would probably give it a slightly lower score than a ten but someone has to counteract all of the unreasonable people who gave the game a one within the first week of launch. Yeah, Square messed up the launch pretty badly but they admitted a fault and took care of it.

The game is a joy to play and while it

The game is a joy to play and while it does have many small flaws, it has the spark that many MMO's seem to be missing lately. The dev team also seems genuinely interested in providing the best experience for their fans. Sometimes it just takes time to get the kinks worked out. Great game.
  95. Sep 7, 2013
    We're skipping the first week's server difficulties as those are resolved and shouldn't factor into the long-term game review. Logging in is just fine now, so ignore any of those reviews.

Look, overall the game is amazing. It has a bug here and there, but its just launched and has promises of fantastic content which Yoshi-P has shown he's not just bragging and he can actually deliver. There's challenges, there's relaxation, there's a ton of content, the learning curve is very forgiving which is good for new players.

Big mention: Crafting. It's real, honest to God, good crafting. Not half assed SWTOR style, not a giant RNG style, but a large portion of skill and time combined with a small amount of controlled RNG to keep it fresh but also not frustrating. As a crafter, I've been enamored with the system.

The world detail is AMAZING. The localization team has done a fantastic job from translating humor, to making puns, to making the world a lively and memorable place. The NPCs move and look like they're doing everyday life things, the scenery is beautiful, the music is fantastic. If you enjoy the little things, ARR has them in spades.

Like I said, severs are up and running, they provided free time and are working on offering server transfers as well, patch 2.1 looks great, there's no shortage of things to do, so 10/10.
  96. Aug 31, 2013
    Does this game have issues? Yes of course it does, but no game since Vanilla WoW has pulled me in like this one. It feels familiar and new at the same time. The Graphics are amazing and the animations smooth, I mean my character actually has facial expressions, and not just in cutscenes! Plus If i want to try a new class I don't have to roll an alt! Just visit the classes guild and equipDoes this game have issues? Yes of course it does, but no game since Vanilla WoW has pulled me in like this one. It feels familiar and new at the same time. The Graphics are amazing and the animations smooth, I mean my character actually has facial expressions, and not just in cutscenes! Plus If i want to try a new class I don't have to roll an alt! Just visit the classes guild and equip the right weapon and BOOM I am now whatever class i want to be. This is pretty awesome to me.
    This game is compared a lot to GW2, but I just found GW2 so bland and boring, but I love this game.

I know people are upset about the login issues but this will get sorted out, I am not actually a fan of how SE Is handling either but like they say, patience is a virtue which the current MMO generation seems to lack.

Also im not a fanboy, This is my first FF game ever sooo yeah...I just enjoy this game and look forward to it being my new MMO home for awhile.
  97. Sep 5, 2013
    Quite possibly the greatest Final Fantasy game release so far. The story, music, battle system, and visuals impress at every turn. Fans of the series should be sure to pick up this title and enjoy the world reborn. This is the final fantasy game players have been asking for. For those who are worried about a subscription fee, I'd say pick up this game anyway, and you will be able toQuite possibly the greatest Final Fantasy game release so far. The story, music, battle system, and visuals impress at every turn. Fans of the series should be sure to pick up this title and enjoy the world reborn. This is the final fantasy game players have been asking for. For those who are worried about a subscription fee, I'd say pick up this game anyway, and you will be able to complete the main story line within the free 30 days of game time. The game will only get better as time moves forward, so their is no reason to miss out on this amazing game. Expand
  98. Sep 8, 2013
    Though the servers had some hiccups for the first few days, this game is well worth the wait. Yoshi-P and team have taken something that I didn't even recognize as a FF game and turned into something brilliant. I have not been this excited about a game in quite some time.

So many classes, so many things to do. The multi-class system is the best thing to happen to MMOs and I hope to see more using it. Crafting is fun and interesting (as well as useful), the dungeons are challenging (and not just for the tank and healer), and the quests and story are 100% FINAL FANTASY.

Will definitely be playing this one for the foreseeable future!
  99. Sep 8, 2013
    SquareEnix has really redeemed themselves with Reborn. A fantastic breathtaking adventure from start to finish which of course is pretty much endless. From the great in depth create a character system to the job systems to the music graphics and virtually endless amounts and types of quests you will never have something not to keep you busy. Nothing really groundbreaking but then again ifSquareEnix has really redeemed themselves with Reborn. A fantastic breathtaking adventure from start to finish which of course is pretty much endless. From the great in depth create a character system to the job systems to the music graphics and virtually endless amounts and types of quests you will never have something not to keep you busy. Nothing really groundbreaking but then again if it ain't broke don't fix it applies here in regards to a great MMO experience. Good old fashioned addictive fun. Expand
  100. Sep 9, 2013
    Fantastically designed story, writing, and quest systems. Never before have I been so engrossed in an MMORPG's story. Usually MMOs stories just aren't capable of being very gripping. That's not the case with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. This is the first MMO where I have felt a sense of attachment to NPCs, much like when reading a book and developing a sense of attachment for theFantastically designed story, writing, and quest systems. Never before have I been so engrossed in an MMORPG's story. Usually MMOs stories just aren't capable of being very gripping. That's not the case with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. This is the first MMO where I have felt a sense of attachment to NPCs, much like when reading a book and developing a sense of attachment for the characters. The gameplay is fun and well paced. The graphics are good, although I must say I wish the game supported Direct X 11 and ran in 64 bit mode so that it would run even smoother on some machines. But those are things that can (and likely will) be included at a later date. I have the utmost respect for Yoshida and all that he has done to refresh this game and make it worthy of holding the Final Fantasy title. Expand

1. Hyper Magazine
    Dec 28, 2013
    Full of enough adventure, daring-do and chocobos to make any MMO fan happy. [Jan 2014, p.72]
  2. Nov 13, 2013
    A Realm Reborn is such a substantial change from the original game that it merits a second look if you hated the first release. So much has changed for the better, and it has resulted in one of the most polished MMORPGs out there today.
  3. Nov 6, 2013
    The completionist in me is nearly overwhelmed with the sheer amount of things to do in A Realm Reborn. Square Enix really do deserve praise for not only fixing the issues of the original game, but far exceeding their goal.