6.8

1. Aug 27, 2013
    This game has come a long way from the fiasco that was version 1.0. Overall, Square Enix has done a great job completely remaking the game and optimizing everything that failed in the first. And aside from the server issues during Early Access and the 1017 errors as of launch this game couldn't be any better.

You can call me a fanboy or just not agree with what I'm saying, that's fine.

You can call me a fanboy or just not agree with what I'm saying, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and this happens to be mine. I've been playing since 1.0 but didn't play it for long because it did suck big time. When I heard about FFXIV:ARR I was excited and hoped they would do a better job this time around. They have.

The game is better in almost every way. The graphics are almost as good and don't kill your system like 1.0 did. Most people couldn't run the old game. The optimizations have worked out wonderfully. I can safely say that it's one of the besting looking MMORPG's out. People seem to mistake that for best looking game but that's not the case. This is right up there with TERA in terms of beautiful MMO graphics. By the way, I am running on maximum settings with 60+ fps. Perks of building your own extreme gaming PC.

The quest system is much improved and everything just feels more fluid. There is a lot of text to read but that's pretty standard. They do a pretty good job of defining what you need to do and it all isn't just fetch or kill quests. I think the most a quest has ever had me kill is 5 of a particular monster. I'm currently a 26 Marauder. My only gripe is I wish all the dialogue was all voice acted but as it stands only select in game cutscenes are voice acted. The ones that are are pretty well done too, some of the voices fit the characters while there are others that don't.

Things to do are plentiful in this game. Want to quest, sure, go ahead. Want to craft? You can do it all on one character. FATE's are frequent and award nice experience and GC seals when you get that far. Leves are a fun diversion though I wish you weren't restricted to the allowance you're given. And you only gain 3 every 12 hours real life time. The story missions have been great too. Lot's of lore and character development to discover. Another great diversion are the Logs you have access to. Hunting Logs have you kill monsters for super bonus experience. It's all a nice way to help you level up.

The only real issue I've had with the game so far is just the server issues which are doing much better than they were at the start of Early Access. Despite those issues I have given this game a 10/10 because it is everything I wanted and more. And the beauty is that it can only get better from here! They have so many wonderful plans for the future and even near future! So stick with it guys, I will, and I guarantee it will be a blast!
  2. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is quite good as far as MMOs go on launch: amazing IP, great graphics and aesthetic, lots to do, a great sense of discovery and wonder, in depth crafting, and more.

However, I can can't help but feel that the WoW-esque hot-key MMO with endless fetch quests has seen its day. The game play is good, don't get me wrong. It just feels like I've done this all before, and that's because I have. It's the exact same formula that has dominated MMOs for years, and frankly it's getting a little tired.

The game is definitely worth picking up if you haven't gotten your fill of the classic MMO theme-park experience, or if you just love the Final Fantasy franchise so much you can overlook the dated game-play. If you're bored of WoW and it's clones, you won't find much new here. All in all, this game is a good take on a tried and true (and a bit played out) genre.
  3. Oct 15, 2013
    I rarely base part of my opinion of a game on the customer service of the company if I can help it. But in this case, the customer service has been SO bad that it makes me drop my rating of the actual game. The game itself (what amount I got to play of course...so take it with a grain of salt)? 8-9. Customer service? 0. After over 1000 minutes on hold total and being hung up on multipleI rarely base part of my opinion of a game on the customer service of the company if I can help it. But in this case, the customer service has been SO bad that it makes me drop my rating of the actual game. The game itself (what amount I got to play of course...so take it with a grain of salt)? 8-9. Customer service? 0. After over 1000 minutes on hold total and being hung up on multiple times by their machines as well as by their chat, I am still even now wondering why they never contact me about ANYTHING to tell me what's going on.

A week in I got hacked. My fault. I didn't have an authenticator. I realized the only other thing I'd use the same password was my LoL that I hadn't played in a few months. Went checking and discovered about their being hacked and passwords lost. My account was "terminated" by Square-Enix with admittedly a VERY rude accusatory e-mail that ACTUALLY says, "Unfortunately, you have shown yourself to be unwilling to follow the rules of the FINAL FANTASY XIV community. If we find that you have created another FINAL FANTASY XIV service account, we reserve the right to terminate that account as well".

But that's not the bad part. It's the fact that I spent a couple weeks TRYING to get in touch with them. 3 hours waiting on hold then...suddenly it hangs up on me. This happened more than once! What? I even got a message from their chat after I waited in the que that their were no representatives available which instead gave me a form to fill out. All of these events early in the day well within their hours. Oh and that form? Waited over a week and NEVER got a response. So I started trying to contact again and after a couple attempts FINALLY got through.

I found out from him my account spammed chat with gold-seller site information. But that was my only transgression. Okay, sounds like what they'd do with a hacked account. But it turns out he can't do anything. He told me he'd "escalate" my problem for the investigation group to look at and that they'd get back to me. Well that was weeks ago. I haven't heard a SINGLE thing from them in that time. After a month and a half from when this started, I STILL haven't gotten my account back. I may have to write this off as money I wasted purchasing a game in the first place that I'll never really get to play. Glad I bought the collector's edition for the extra goodies! TOTALLY WORTH IT! Ha ha.
  4. Aug 27, 2013
    If you're basing your score on launch server issues either wait with posting an opinion or you shouldn't be playing MMOs at all. This is launch, every single game has it's issues (hello WoW launch and every single expansion pack), they get smoothed out and eventually are gone and remain forgotten. Hardware, even nowadays, ain't sci-fi tech; it has it's limits no matter how much money youIf you're basing your score on launch server issues either wait with posting an opinion or you shouldn't be playing MMOs at all. This is launch, every single game has it's issues (hello WoW launch and every single expansion pack), they get smoothed out and eventually are gone and remain forgotten. Hardware, even nowadays, ain't sci-fi tech; it has it's limits no matter how much money you put into it. There is a reason we're not travelling at light speed yet.
    You think they're sitting there /point laughing at people that can't get in? Seriously..?

On to the review; this game has one thing I've never felt in any other MMO so far, and of those there has been plenty. I don't need to be max level to enjoy, or need to rush to cap. The game has a plethora of choices, jobs, quests, instances, FATEs (which are great fun), crafts, zones, monsters, hunting logs, guildhests, new levequests; you name it. During leveling you unlock many extra things useful for your character; mounts, retainers, dyeing, melding.. so you don't get it all at start, or only at the top level.

The graphics are great (and that's where a lot of MMOs lack), with a huge optimalization boost when it comes to performance (compared to 1.0), and the music is superb.
    Fighting is dynamic, boss fights ranging from a typical tank and spank to doing it the whole way around with precise tactics. Random events with XP and item rewards will often distract you from your current engagement, and the main mission storyline expands to hundreds of quests.

In short Yoshi-P delivered a game from a true MMO fan for MMO players.

For a Final Fantasy fan? 10/10 and a must. If you still remember 1.0 forget the horrors, this is a new era.
    For a MMO fan? 8/10 and you should really give it a go, plenty of friendly things you'll find.

For a wingnut who cannot comprehend the fact of hardware limits on launch? A lollipop and a punch in the face.
  5. Aug 27, 2013
    Coming from a 1.0 original purchaser who never played version 1.0 for even one hour, and had my box gathering dust for about 3 years:

Do play this. It's fun, immersive and well-executed from a software perspective. Hardware (i.e. servers) need some work yet, but nothing that can't be fixed in the coming days weeks.

Proud Digital Collectors Edition owner of FFXIV: ARR!
  6. Aug 27, 2013
    While this game does not re-define the genre or drive it into the next generation, it does the things we have grown to love about the genre right. With a track record of amazing content in the companies first MMO, FFXI, this game does have incredible potential to become another 10+ years MMO for you to enjoy.

The amount of detail and care not only in the visual aspects is astonishing

The amount of detail and care not only in the visual aspects is astonishing with a grade of attention to detail that will amaze you. Animations are beautifully done with incredible detail to textures going so far as to display seams and fabric texture. Even on medium settings the game is beautiful and runs smooth even on older PC's.

The UI, especially the custom one for controller is the best i have seen so far. Everything is very polished and works as expected. The care that was taken to make this playable on both PC and consoles is astonishing and it pays off.

The games heavy focus on story telling will no doubt bore and even scare off a lot of impatient gamers that just want to get to the end for whatever reason. The story itself is beautifully told with an extremely extensive main story line, we are talking almost a hundred quests and just as many cut scenes. If you add the class specific quest lines for all the jobs and the side quests you are looking at a couple hundred for sure.

Content is abundant and you will find yourself overwhelmed at the options you have in this game. There are a dozen or so dungeons, special fights called Primal fights, dynamic events, special guild missions, grand company missions, leves (contract missions) It would be too much to list everything here.

Crafting is a huge part of the game and considered a class like warrior not just an add on like in many other games. The best gear does not come from quests or loot, it's made and enhanced by crafters. They are an essential part of the game without them the higher level and harder content could not be beaten.

Of cause the game is not perfect, it shares the same issues as most "themepark" and gear centric MMO games. The basic enemies are not very smart and they are spread out in the world according to level and areas they inhabit like a Zoo. Questing or any of the other activities can become a grind if you decide to grind them. The game however gives you so many options that you should never find yourself doing just one thing over and over.

Overall it is a very enjoyable game with great potential given the track record the company has with Final Fantasy XI, the genres biggest game with content that will literally take you years to finish.
  7. Aug 27, 2013
    This game has been amazing so far. I'm only level 11 right now but I have been playing since the phase 4 beta test. Besides the server log in issues which is only because the game just started out the game has been a phenomenal play. The story is good, the way SE recouped and worked the story from final fantasy XIV version 1.0 is awesome. In game wise I haven't had any complaints yet!.This game has been amazing so far. I'm only level 11 right now but I have been playing since the phase 4 beta test. Besides the server log in issues which is only because the game just started out the game has been a phenomenal play. The story is good, the way SE recouped and worked the story from final fantasy XIV version 1.0 is awesome. In game wise I haven't had any complaints yet!. Look forward to playing this game to the end which I haven't done with any other MMO so far. Expand
  8. Aug 27, 2013
    If you played 1.0, you may believe you know what this game has to offer, but the further you get the more this game offers you beyond your expectations. Chocobos can level up; grand companies allow you to earn additional currency towards great stuff when you complete levequests and FATEs, among other things. The lag in the interface has been resolved with the brand new UI too.

If you

If you didn't play 1.0 this game is a huge improvement over the original, which received poor reviews. The voice acting is not the best it could be, but that's not a deciding factor for me and an MMO. The maintenance some reviews comment about is sure to pass, and was prevalent in early access during the days prior to release, so in my opinion should not be relevant to the user score here unless it continues (which so far it has not).
  9. Aug 27, 2013
    Aside from a few log in issues i couldn't be more happy with the game, the fact that you can do everything you want on just 1 character is amazing for me, i went from having to grind on 8 different chars a week on wow to focusing on 1 in FF, i pray this game will bloom for years to come.
  10. Aug 27, 2013
    What an achievement, they've managed to take a game that was literally the worst MMO I've ever played and turn it into one of the best I've ever played. Square is back. The job system is genius and a refreshing take on classes in mmos, content is challenging even for hard core players post level 30, and the world is addicting as hell.
  11. Aug 27, 2013
    Besides from all the normal launch problems with every MMO; this game is beautiful shaped, great game play and amazing story so far. This game will steal your heart
  12. Aug 27, 2013
    FFXIV came back from a dark place called V1... Now, it's a great game with plenty of features picked in every today's MMO improved and Final Fantasylized !
    I'm not objective, i can't be objective because i'm a huge Final Fantasy Fan but FFXIV is designed for us, and for that i'll give it a big 10
  13. Aug 27, 2013
    First of all, most of the negative reviews are from the server issues the game had during the early access weekend prior to launch. This is not indicative of the final product.

This game is nothing short of spectacular. The fact that the development team took a failing game, and made it what it is today in only 2 years is a miracle. The graphics are by far the best in the genre, the world design is among the best in any game, period, the sound design is something you must hear to believe, and the writing is phenomenal. This game deserves more than its tainted name allows it. On top of everything I've listed, the game is just plain fun. This game must be experienced to be fully appreciated. This is how Final Fantasy used to be, not what it currently is. This game is a love letter to the entire series. It has characters, monsters, equipment and activities from many numbered Final Fantasy games, and they're only adding more. This will be one of the only MMOs out right now still being played in 10 years.
  14. Aug 27, 2013
    This game...
    Where can I start?
    Conceptually it's not a big deal, but as one takes it in bit by bit, as one does with the modern MMO, one begins to realize the where this game shines is in the how. The execution of the ordinary in such a way that it becomes extraordinary. While it had some issues in logins, (I never personally had the problem for more than 3 minutes,) due largely to
    This game...
    Where can I start?
    The execution of the ordinary in such a way that it becomes extraordinary.
    While it had some issues in logins, (I never personally had the problem for more than 3 minutes,) due largely to the fact that Square Enix did not expect the scale of NA/EU MMO players.

I like that, it gives me good feelings about the future of this game.

Oh the story? Just give it a little time, it will turn into one of your favorite FFs as well as one of your favorite MMOs.
  15. Aug 27, 2013
    I have been playing this non stop since I got the early access. This game is incredibly fun, addictive, the scenery is beautiful and the gameplay is fantastic. The servers may be full at times but you gotta keep trying to get in and when you do, it'll be one of the best experiences ever. All in all, get this game.
  16. Aug 27, 2013
    The game itself is incredible as it is absolutely amazing. The architecture of the game is very well structured. Nice music on the background. The graphic is astonishing and the gameplay is quiet interesting in a way that it'll make you play for hours. The element of the game is a mix of final fantasy 1-13 (which is a very positive thing). The content is quiet big even though the game isThe game itself is incredible as it is absolutely amazing. The architecture of the game is very well structured. Nice music on the background. The graphic is astonishing and the gameplay is quiet interesting in a way that it'll make you play for hours. The element of the game is a mix of final fantasy 1-13 (which is a very positive thing). The content is quiet big even though the game is quiet new. The launch isnt as smooth as we thought it would be but that is because there are more people that are playing than expected. overall its a fun game to play and have not got any pay to win like many of the mmo today. Expand
  17. Aug 27, 2013
    This is not a Bad game at all, they have alot of issues about they servers, but they just started... Grafics are amezing, nice selection to create your character with saving options if u wanna play with the toon in another realm. They have a nice intro to Final Fantasy world for ppl just start this saga. Questing its ok for now. Im pretty sure they will improve more things in time. TheThis is not a Bad game at all, they have alot of issues about they servers, but they just started... Grafics are amezing, nice selection to create your character with saving options if u wanna play with the toon in another realm. They have a nice intro to Final Fantasy world for ppl just start this saga. Questing its ok for now. Im pretty sure they will improve more things in time. The system is ver easy to learn. We must give them more time to make a complete review about this game. Expand
  18. Aug 27, 2013
    Amazing game. Sure they have some problems with the launch, like every other MMOs but when you are in, this is one of the best experience out there! You will love it if you give it a chance.
  19. Aug 27, 2013
    I have been playing this game ever since version 1.0. I participated in the ARR Alpha, and all 4 Beta phases. This game has come a long way in a very short time, it has maintained the lore of previous FF games and built upon them with its own story. Combat mechanics are friendly enough for new players while still offering a challenge for seasoned MMO gamers. Partying and grouping areI have been playing this game ever since version 1.0. I participated in the ARR Alpha, and all 4 Beta phases. This game has come a long way in a very short time, it has maintained the lore of previous FF games and built upon them with its own story. Combat mechanics are friendly enough for new players while still offering a challenge for seasoned MMO gamers. Partying and grouping are seamless and dont seam like a chore. The game walks newcomers through the basics and slowly lets go of your hand as you progress through the ranks. It helps attract new people to MMO's who traditionally wouldnt try this type of game. Expand
  20. Aug 27, 2013
    The new version of Final Fantasy XIV does what it set out to do extremely well. It might not line up with my own preferences, but within its intended goals things are executed elegantly and enjoyably. There's been some difficulty with the servers, but given that's a transient issue that's already being rectified I don't think it's something I want to include in my lasting review score.The new version of Final Fantasy XIV does what it set out to do extremely well. It might not line up with my own preferences, but within its intended goals things are executed elegantly and enjoyably. There's been some difficulty with the servers, but given that's a transient issue that's already being rectified I don't think it's something I want to include in my lasting review score.

Simply put, while I've got one or two complaints (the lack of speech bubbles for chat, for instance) my summary would be 'I feel like I'm playing an MMORPG out of an anime'.
  21. Aug 27, 2013
    Very great game. Finally, a MMORPG that put's an emphasis on "RPG". Way to go Square Enix, I think you just revived the franchise for me! This game delivers everything Final Fantasy and then some!
  22. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is amazing. Those who are giving it a zero are just complaining about the server issues, which every mmo has. Just give it a week to pass through. The game is spectacular, and people are judging it harshly way too early.
  23. Aug 27, 2013
    This game has definitely come a long way since 1.0. It's definitely a very beautiful game and it seems to have pulled a lot of the great elements from other MMORPGS. Only issue that is really irritating is the current accessibility to the game. Ever since Early Access and now into launch the game is not accessible to most of the community due to 1017 error "Server Full" and no stableThis game has definitely come a long way since 1.0. It's definitely a very beautiful game and it seems to have pulled a lot of the great elements from other MMORPGS. Only issue that is really irritating is the current accessibility to the game. Ever since Early Access and now into launch the game is not accessible to most of the community due to 1017 error "Server Full" and no stable queuing system to allow people to enjoy the experience. But that's typical launch stuff...even though we'd hope developers would have found ways to mitigate this now in 2013 since MMOs have been around for over a decade.

Graphics: The graphics are beautiful and the landscapes are very well done. I catch myself looking around the world quite a bit when I am traveling and enjoying the scenery. The animations are very well done and the spell effects are intense, very colorful and very well done. Overall I can't complain about the graphics in this game and they are some of the best I've seen in an MMO

Travel: Travel in this game is fairly simple. The game is broken into a multitude of zones like most MMOs. There is a system of crystals you can use to teleport around (for a feel), chocobo rentals to take the scenic route, Mounts to ride at the later levels, air ships to carry you across continent, and the never old 'charlie brown" method of one foot in front of the other. Overall the travel is great and the game seems accessible. Tons of ways to travel and none take you the hours that 1.0 used to force you to travel.

Leveling: Like most MMOs you have your standard faire of quests to get you to max level, the new FATE system ala Rift/ GW2 public questing, levemetes (limited daily quests), and your hunting log (kill quests on specific creatures through each of the zones). Let's not forget the story line quests with epic cut scenes and large amounts of that Final Fantasy dialogue. Overall you'll have plenty to keep you engaged while leveling your jobs.

Jobs/Class system: One word, Awesome. You'll be able to play each job with a single character. No more need for alts, unless you're moving servers, since you'll have access to the full experience on one character. At level 10 you'll be able to learn other jobs, so you'll quickly be able to move to something else if you are not a fan of your initial job pick.

Combat: A little slow for my tastes at first, but I got used to it and now I love it. The entire game has a 2.5s GCD on abilities. This slows down your need to button mash and allows you to concentrate more on mechanics and keep your spacial awareness in check. Most classes have combo chains to pull off with your abilities which add some depth and choice into ability use. You'll also be able to bring in a limited amount of abilities from other jobs to augment your job's feel and fill in some gaps. Limit Breaker in groups is also another cool feature. large "finishing moves" that can be executed by one member in the group at a crucial moment in the fight. The limit breakers vary by job and each has a distinct effect. Overall I've been very happy with the combat system.

Dungeons/Raids: Dungeons are 4 man and follow the holy trinity (Tank/DPS/Healer). Overall the beta content was pretty solid. The first three dungeons were more of a learning experience for newer MMO players, introducing new mechanics in each. The Ifrit fight at 20 is where the difficulty starts to get turned up and it really checks your spacial awareness. Raids have been announced by the producers but I didn't get a chance to see those, but I'm optimistic that there will be a real challenge in them.

Overall I've had a great time with the game when I've had access. Unfortunately the problem is that I haven't had access as much as I'd have expected through Early Access and now launch. I'm not going to rate this review on those issues, because that will be solved. I will say it's damned annoying and that I really thing SE dropped the ball on this, but they did put out one helluva nice game.
  24. Aug 27, 2013
    I originally bought the collectors edition of 1.0. I was disappointing with the game as I could not really
    "get in" to it. After upgrading various components of my PC (to even play the game), I found it buggy and generally dull.

I am very happy to say that version 2.0 is quite the surprise. It has the same feel and engagement that I felt in FFXI and is an all around joy to play. The story line is engaging and unique, the battle system has been fine tuned and is feels like a FF game. I enjoy the Free Company concept and the new Auction House system is well implemented. But most of all, the community is were the game already shines (at least on my server).
  25. Aug 27, 2013
    A marvelous game. As someone new to MMOs, I expected to be overwhelmed by features and interface elements. Thankfully the tutorial was helpful and clear; I felt comfortable using the different features.

Gameplay is not difficult but battles are enjoyable. Monster models, true to the series, offer entertaining art styles and names. Graphics are superb. This is simply an astoundingly

Graphics are superb. This is simply an astoundingly beautiful game. I find myself stopping regularly to take screenshots of the landscape.

The crafting system is intuitive and fun yet deep and useful. It's certainly more involved and richer than in any console RPG that I've played. You have so many opportunities to craft what you want and to approach it from so many different classes.

The user interface can be a bit clunky at times, but it offers a good amount of information through various menus.

I'm incredibly satisfied with the game and have enjoyed my time in Eorzea. I hope you will take a spin too.
  26. Aug 27, 2013
    If you can get around the server congestion issues, this is a great game. It takes a lot of the traditional Final Fantasy elements (cute creatures, long, in-depth storylike cutscenes, job system with unique outfits) and combines them with the World of Warcraft themepark system. This is the MMO of choice for anybody who has ever enjoyed JRPG's. In terms of difficulty, the grinding isIf you can get around the server congestion issues, this is a great game. It takes a lot of the traditional Final Fantasy elements (cute creatures, long, in-depth storylike cutscenes, job system with unique outfits) and combines them with the World of Warcraft themepark system. This is the MMO of choice for anybody who has ever enjoyed JRPG's. In terms of difficulty, the grinding is minimal and not difficult, while the solo instances are sufficiently challenging (I have not done a group dungeon yet). One of the good things about this game is that you can train for every profession, including crafting professions, so there is no need to create a horde of alternative characters unless you enjoy creating a mix of races and genders for your characters.

I will not rate this game based upon the server problems, which seem to be basically fixed judging by my play last night. The only thing that keeps this game from being a 10 is its current lack of Player vs. Player. I'm not a big fan of PvP, but it's something every MMO that releases should try to have. Square Enix says they will add it in a future update. I would also like to see vanity slots so that you aren't forced to wear something ugly and can design your own outfit (although dyes help with this somewhat). SE also says they will add vanity slots in a future update. Other than these minor qualms, the game is a lot of fun and should be played by anyone who is either a fan of challenging themepark MMO's or JRPG's.
  27. Aug 27, 2013
    15 Years MMO Veteran, this is the best online experience someone can experience atm.
    Amazing graphics, Great Storyline, Wicked User Interface, Oldschool combat reminiscent to Final Fantasy.
    This game is extremely polished for a launch title.
    Get it now!
  28. Aug 28, 2013
    Excellent game. Perhaps not as deep as FFXI or as action packed as WoW, but it offers a happy medium that I think people are really going to enjoy for years. This is the first time I've truly been excited for an MMO since vanilla WoW's release. There are some server troubles at the moment because I don't believe Square thought the game would be this popular.

People will get over

People will get over launch issues if the game is good (vanilla WoW had an INCREDIBLY rough start, for example-- rougher even than XIV's release). People will not get over launch issues if the game is shallow/uninteresting/boring (like Diablo 3).
  29. Aug 27, 2013
    The game itself gets a 10 from me. It's absolutely amazing. The most fun I've had in an MMO in a very long time, but the problem is, there are quite a few errors that SE can't seem to fix that prevent me and many others from actually accessing the game. Though the game has just launched, it has taken them over a week to fix the errors, and every time they supposedly fix it, another errorThe game itself gets a 10 from me. It's absolutely amazing. The most fun I've had in an MMO in a very long time, but the problem is, there are quite a few errors that SE can't seem to fix that prevent me and many others from actually accessing the game. Though the game has just launched, it has taken them over a week to fix the errors, and every time they supposedly fix it, another error or the same error pops up.

But anyway, the game is amazing. If you can get past the errors, get logged in and stay logged in, it's an amazing game.
  30. Aug 27, 2013
    Haven't been this attached to an mmo in a long time, the final fantasy world intrigues me more then any other, so far this is just an awesome game, there is so much to do i get confused :D
  31. Aug 27, 2013
    This is undoubtedly a Final Fantasy game. Fans of the series will more than likely feel right at home with the amazing musical score, incredibly graphics and deep character development. The reason this game doesn't get a personal score from me is that it lacks in many areas that other Final Fantasy games are strong in. The early game story for example is yawn inducing and incrediblyThis is undoubtedly a Final Fantasy game. Fans of the series will more than likely feel right at home with the amazing musical score, incredibly graphics and deep character development. The reason this game doesn't get a personal score from me is that it lacks in many areas that other Final Fantasy games are strong in. The early game story for example is yawn inducing and incredibly contrived, it gives you all the tools to "Feel special" but avoids any opportunity to step out of that bubble. It features a rather deep Level system that would at first glance appear to allow a player freedom of choice as to where and when they develop their character. Want to be a humble Fisherman? Tools are there. Want to be a Dragoon capable of feats beyond even the great Kain Highwind? Tools are there. Problem is, regardless of your path, if you follow the story (a staple in all FF games) you will be on the exact same path as every other player. I guess I question why do they personalize the story rather than leave it open to willing participants.

The expected "Party" system is MMO standard. Which is fine but they relegate certain functions such as the incredibly fun "Limit Break" system to a "decide when the group as a whole wants to use it" rather than a personal feat of increased effectiveness to be used at the best possible time. You have an extremely restricted early game party set up which creates a great deal of problems for finding a group as most classes, this is easily fixed too. WHY on earth can my Arcanist not heal for a dungeon when she has an equivalent heal to a Conjurer? In fact, at early group stages, the "Group Finder" will not even find you a group unless there is an available Conjurer. Tank classes are sparse as well, totaling 2 early game. Out of a total of 8 potential starting classes, you HAVE to have a Conjurer, Marauder/Gladiator, and any of the other two.

Even with all else been said, the game has incredible ups. Class development is fun, spending money on merchant gear feels effective and true to the series core. Each class is unique and has a play-style that is more advanced and rewarding once mastered than it first appears. You can get your own Chocobo and summon it to assist you in combat much akin to a FFT(actics) helper. The game gives you a constant carrot. The zones have a ton of seemingly random events, called FATEs. Evolving "Jobs" such as Warrior, Summoner, Black Mage etc is fun and rewarding, you have to earn each and every ability rather than simply buying them. Each weapon corresponds to a play style and subsequent Job, you can multi-class by earning levels in other weapons and socket them into your current role.

This is a new game, it is full of flaws. Do your best to look at them closely, because if you have paid any attention to the development cycle of this game you will know just how far Square Enix is willing to go to make this an experience to please you. I promise you none are so game breaking that they would prevent you from enjoying a good classic style MMORPG with a load of content to chase before they add more.

Give it a shot.
  32. Aug 27, 2013
    I played FFXIV Ver 1.0 and was let down. I thought that I was going to be disappointing again. Man I'm glad I was wrong! This is easily the most immersive experience ever. I can't wait to play this using Oculus Rift! I'm excited for an MMO again and that's saying a lot because I've played almost literally all off them since Ultima Online and Everquest were the big things in MMOI played FFXIV Ver 1.0 and was let down. I thought that I was going to be disappointing again. Man I'm glad I was wrong! This is easily the most immersive experience ever. I can't wait to play this using Oculus Rift! I'm excited for an MMO again and that's saying a lot because I've played almost literally all off them since Ultima Online and Everquest were the big things in MMO gaming.

Graphics: Amazing, looks better than any other modern MMO.
    Story: 10/10 I'm incredibly excited to see what happens in my story.
    Gameplay: Next Gen FF Engine with a Twist. It's everything I've grown to love in modern FF games.
    Difficulty: Hard enough that a seasoned MMO player will find difficulty balanced and very rewarding.
    Others: Yeah launch was a mess but the servers are totally stable now. Not one hiccup yet!
  33. Aug 27, 2013
    Despite the early access problems I've had the most fun here since WoW 1.0-1.5. There's just so much to do and probably the first time ever I don't feel like I have to level my main class or job to 50 to play the game to it's fullest. I've spent countless of hours crafting and fishing because it's just so entertaining by itself. Ok, you have your basic quests of kill/fetch or stuff likeDespite the early access problems I've had the most fun here since WoW 1.0-1.5. There's just so much to do and probably the first time ever I don't feel like I have to level my main class or job to 50 to play the game to it's fullest. I've spent countless of hours crafting and fishing because it's just so entertaining by itself. Ok, you have your basic quests of kill/fetch or stuff like that but it doesn't diminish the full experience. Additional ways to gain experience are introduced all the time and generally only a small portion of my experience comes from the basic questing.

If you are having a hard time to decide whether to try it, I strongly recommend you do. It's just 20 euros and by that price it's a steal. Best MMO of the decade.
  34. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is much improved over the previous version. The graphics are nothing short of amazing and the world is a wondrous place to explore. There are some issues with server stability, but they are working those out. The gameplay is fun and not all arcade- like when compared to games like GW2 or Tera. This is more in line with a true RPG. I highly recommend it.
  35. Aug 27, 2013
    Tried this out for the first time this weekend, and found that many of the complaints I'd read on forums/etc were unfounded or exaggerated. Our household decided to pre-order the game and try it on a whim, since it looked fun and was on sale. None of us really had high expectations, and we're all MMO vets so none of us are stupid enough to be shocked by a few server troubles (which haveTried this out for the first time this weekend, and found that many of the complaints I'd read on forums/etc were unfounded or exaggerated. Our household decided to pre-order the game and try it on a whim, since it looked fun and was on sale. None of us really had high expectations, and we're all MMO vets so none of us are stupid enough to be shocked by a few server troubles (which have been blown out of proportion). We've gotten a lot of play time in and have all had a grand old time. It's great to feel excited to rush home and level again, and to explore beautifully crafted worlds. The combat is very fun, though not as action MMO-y as more recent games like TERA or GW2--but this is balanced by the depth of the combat and the depth of the content available.

Definitely going to be playing this for a while.
  36. Aug 27, 2013
    The game is very fun! The only reason I don't mark it as a 10 is because of the overpopulated servers, which seems to be the origin of all these negative user reviews. I mean, it's not very fair to bash them for that, they're trying to fix said problems now. This is a great game to play with friends!
  37. Aug 27, 2013
    Been playing since Alpha. I must say that everything about this game is excellent. The combat took sometime to get comfortable with. It is unfortunate that this game will receive bad reviews because of the login problems but a majority of those have already been addressed. This is your standard MMO launch. There are plenty of options for jobs to play, engaging storyline, the graphics areBeen playing since Alpha. I must say that everything about this game is excellent. The combat took sometime to get comfortable with. It is unfortunate that this game will receive bad reviews because of the login problems but a majority of those have already been addressed. This is your standard MMO launch. There are plenty of options for jobs to play, engaging storyline, the graphics are above average for an MMO. A Final Fantasy every FF fan must play. Expand
  38. Aug 27, 2013
    Just GREAT, the server issue will end soon. no crash so far. some difficulty to login at peak hours but nothing to compare at Sim City Failure. The Duty Finder is best tool ever for a MMORPG
  39. Aug 27, 2013
    Yo jugué en el primer FFXIV hace 3 años, y ese juego era totalmente infumable, aguanté 3 meses hasta que lo dejé.
    Ahora con la ARR en la beta muchos jugadores decían que el juego había cambiado muchisimo y estaban encantados, claramente Yoshida se ha esforzado al máximo y ha puesto toda su ilusión en ello.
    El juego actualmente tiene problemas típicos de login pero una vez entras no hay lag, y funciona todo perfecto, para mi merece un 10, en 3 años han conseguido hacer un juego desde 0, que pasó de ser una mierda a ser algo placentero de jugar.
  40. Aug 27, 2013
    Fantastic Game. Great class system. Great graphics. Multiple subscription options for those who are power users or casual users.

I highly recommend this to any gamer who enjoys great graphics and a great story.

It's true they are having server load issues at the moment, but that doesn't change the quality of the game itself.
  41. Aug 27, 2013
    The main issue I have with FF14, is that it plays like any other MMORPG out there, the same formula MMO players have seen has been recycled, again. I enjoyed playing for some time, however, if you are someone that has played other MMORPGs, you will see that you are playing the same game over again, there are many free to play games out there in where you can invest less money and have aThe main issue I have with FF14, is that it plays like any other MMORPG out there, the same formula MMO players have seen has been recycled, again. I enjoyed playing for some time, however, if you are someone that has played other MMORPGs, you will see that you are playing the same game over again, there are many free to play games out there in where you can invest less money and have a very similar experience, for example the quest formula that is found in many other games, comes back to FF14 with no real change, you will see a lot of "Kill 10 squirrels and come back for a reward... now go collect 10 furry tails.. which are found by killing squirrels .
    There are also many problems with the servers, you can have quite a good time if you are able to log in, I played both on the PC and PS3, and the PC obviously out stands the PS3 version, as in the console the game runs around 25 frames.
  42. Aug 27, 2013
    Took part in Closed Beta which went as most Betas go until Phase 4 Open Beta when everything started falling apart at the seams under Stress Testing. Ever since the Open Beta concluded, it has been nigh impossible to login to play the game between constant Error Messages, multiple Emergency Maintenance windows every day (each spanning 1-5 hours), and imposed population limits with noTook part in Closed Beta which went as most Betas go until Phase 4 Open Beta when everything started falling apart at the seams under Stress Testing. Ever since the Open Beta concluded, it has been nigh impossible to login to play the game between constant Error Messages, multiple Emergency Maintenance windows every day (each spanning 1-5 hours), and imposed population limits with no Auto-logout of AFK users. For the past four days they have been "Live" you haven't been able to create a character, join any of the existing Servers or play. From what I experienced during Beta, the game is worthy of a FAIR rating, typical of an MMO from 10 years ago with a fresh coat of paint (the graphics are probably it's greatest asset). Considering all the other MMO options out there, it probably isn't much to write home about or be excited over unless you are a Final Fantasy fan. With all of the problems this game has been experiencing the past several days my suggestion is to save yourself the frustration and your money, and stay far away from this game until Square Enix can resolve their Server Capacity issues. Expand
  43. Aug 27, 2013
    Way to go Square Enix selling a game that you can't play. Error upon error the last four days. No action from the team behind the game only empty words and apologises. I would recommend anyone to stay away from this game unless you like giving away money without getting the promised service. You'd think they would do better as it's the second time they try launching the game but no, veryWay to go Square Enix selling a game that you can't play. Error upon error the last four days. No action from the team behind the game only empty words and apologises. I would recommend anyone to stay away from this game unless you like giving away money without getting the promised service. You'd think they would do better as it's the second time they try launching the game but no, very disappointing. Expand
  44. Aug 27, 2013
    Constant server outages, massive queues for logging in, and the inability to even create characters. The game as it stands right now is unplayable. These problems have been going on for days and have not improved since early access. Even as of the official launch, it is almost impossible to get in an play the game.

When you can play, the graphics are decent and the story line is above

When you can play, the graphics are decent and the story line is above average for an MMO, but the game is very derivative of World of Warcraft. The Job system is one outstanding innovation, but as for the rest we have all played this game before. Combat and character movement is slow, and targeting is cumbersome. There is no active dodge. Visual indications of character responses are text only (like dodge or parry very 2005). PVP isn't in the game yet. Overall a little disappointing given that they had 3 years on top of the original game release to try and get this right.
  45. Aug 27, 2013
    In one sentence Very epic fantasy world with talkative NPC and boring quests.

I'm a big Final Fantasy fan boy, so big, I'm like a windmill when it comes to FF series. I have FF7 (ps1 & pc), FFTactic (PS1, PSP, iPad) just brag a little but FFXIV is very boring from the get go. I don't plan to waste my time with this anymore. Pros Very nice graphics. Detail character customization.
    In one sentence Very epic fantasy world with talkative NPC and boring quests.

Pros Very nice graphics. Detail character customization. Moderate graphic power needed. Very nice details on every little things. The details of dungeon and buildings almost makes you feel like you actually got lost in a big castle. Nice physic. Quick travel points in towns.

Cons I have been playing it since early release and I must say that quests are very boring and NPC talks too much that if you read everything they say you won't get anywhere. Game play becomes click on NPC skip everything, go to another place click on another NPC skip everything and quest done.

There are no motivation to do the quests until now. Compare to SWTOR the quest are very boring (SWTOR is not the best MMORPG out there).

Quick travel in town is very nice to save time but you need to remember all the awkward names of the travel points to get to the right place. But quick travel in town is free and unlimited. I wonder why they didn't make the quick travel menu into map oriented.

Map detail are very nice but quest related icons on map are very confusing. They try to be epic, I get it but the game play and quest are very boring compare to that epic theme. SWTOR is more fun to play than this.
  46. Aug 27, 2013
    The only thing, the ONLY thing that is holding me back from buying a month's sub now is error 1017. I get it, there's a lot of players. I genuinely enjoy my time spent in the game. The multiclassing is really fun and I've had a blast playing with all of them. Crafting is both rewarding and engaging. The world is colorful and vibrant and there's nary a moment of lag to be had. TheThe only thing, the ONLY thing that is holding me back from buying a month's sub now is error 1017. I get it, there's a lot of players. I genuinely enjoy my time spent in the game. The multiclassing is really fun and I've had a blast playing with all of them. Crafting is both rewarding and engaging. The world is colorful and vibrant and there's nary a moment of lag to be had. The game is fun, and that's the most important part. It just launched, so it's entirely reasonable for many servers to be full.

BUT WHY THE HELL IS THERE NO QUEUE SYSTEM!!

Did we suddenly go back to 1995 or something? Just telling me "We're sorry you can't play, please try later" and not giving me ANY way of knowing when a good time to come back is is just asinine. I spent the entirety of Sunday periodically checking every 10 to 30 minutes to see if I could get in. Nothing at all, couldn't play that day at all. Not to mention that meant I sat around my computer not doing much of anything because I had no idea if there would be space on the server in the next few minutes or not. It's all a load of bullsh*t.

And then there's the updates on Lodestone. They update relatively regularly, which is nice. HOWEVER, the updates they post are simply repeating what they said the last time. There's been 4 different followups to the congestion post today, and each one has literally been the exact same post, word for word, followed by another apology. It's infuriating.

At the end of the day, I enjoy playing this game. If SE doesn't get their act together on this though, I for one will not be dumping any more money into this aging locomotive.
  47. Aug 27, 2013
    first off final fantasy meets WoW clone
    second, you cant even log in on launch day because the servers are full, no queue, just a message that says servers are full, try again later.
    you can spam the menu 100+ times to try and log in never works, or put you in queue
    this is NOT a small problem or a early launch problem, this problem has been here since beta FACT ask anyone please
  48. Aug 28, 2013
    Game is being fixed and progress is being made. Servers are opening up more and character creation isn't such a contentious issue now (create your character offpeak times)

The game itself is the best MMO i've played since WoW. It follows mmo traditions but brings enough to the table to feel fresh all with a slick UI and fantastic story. First mmo i've played that doesn't feel like a

First mmo i've played that doesn't feel like a wow clone. Ignore the wow clone comments (See Rift for an example of a wow clone). I'm sure these people would call every FPS a Doom clone, right?
  49. Aug 27, 2013
    I GIVE UP after trying to log in for 2-3 hours of spamming the log in the past week, just avoid this game.

People who are in the game, refuse to log out because they know its impossible to get past the character screen
  50. Aug 27, 2013
    Avoid buying this game. When the servers ran into capacity problems Square chose to limit login availability and disable queues rather than fixing the actual issues. It's been 4 days without any fixes, and the only announcement made has been that more servers will be added to the japan data center, which is the one that has been mostly problem free.

At this point, it has become clear

At this point, it has become clear that the publisher hopes that many people who bought and paid for the game will give up on playing saving them the expense of adding more servers.

The game is unplayable right now for a large portion of the user base, and there appears to be no solution in sight.
  51. Aug 27, 2013
    this game is next level bad, do not give them a second chance.
    you pay money for this game and you honestly cant play it because errors after errors after errors
    the white knights will say these are "little bugs" or "all mmo have problems at launch" the fact is this problem was in beta they never fixed it they said they wouldnt rush the game the second time its obvious they did on
    this game is next level bad, do not give them a second chance.
    the fact is this problem was in beta they never fixed it

they said they wouldnt rush the game the second time its obvious they did on the US/EU side
  52. Aug 27, 2013
    not sure who they hired to run and maintain these servers but they should be fired now. bad launch is bad and this is worse. Also combat is at snail pace at best and quest hubs? really. well nice try but they have a ton of improvements before this game is even alright at best
  53. Aug 27, 2013
    bad storytelling, boring fighting Routine ,quest hub based ,boring mmo Standard classes .Server maintenance everyday, Log in Queue ,disconnects after instances. game state is awful.
  54. Sep 28, 2013
    I gave it a low score mostly because of it is abysmal costumer service during launch and early acess. After all, they are no strangers to the number of game codes sold and should planned accordingly.

With that behind, there are still some game breaking bugs in it. In high crowded Fates (like open world bosses), your target disappears, your party mates are also gone making it close to unplayable. Very bad culling coding. Also, when you reach 50 and wanna do an instance, it is most likely you'll wait for an hour even if you already have a full team. Instance servers doesnt have enough room for player load.

Game starts off boring and slow. Voice Overs are horrible and many in game translation.

However, game starts to pick up around lvl 15 and it only shines from there. You can cross class skills, dungeons are smart with a scaling difficulty and the world is just beautiful.

Crafting is different in a way, you actually have to know how to react to certain conditions in employ proper skills to make it work.
    It is surely a great game to try, if you can put aside the slow start and the said game breaking bugs.
  55. Aug 27, 2013
    Avoid buying at all costs. The game is wonderful IF you can get logged in. The North American and European servers have been suffering since open beta and have been largely unplayable for a large portion of the community. The Japanese servers have been fine until launch, and at the slightest sign of population issues, they announced new servers for them, and still no relief for theAvoid buying at all costs. The game is wonderful IF you can get logged in. The North American and European servers have been suffering since open beta and have been largely unplayable for a large portion of the community. The Japanese servers have been fine until launch, and at the slightest sign of population issues, they announced new servers for them, and still no relief for the other half of their player base. If you are in North America or Europe, save your money, Square Enix views you as a second class citizen. Their xenophobic has taken new heights with this release. Expand
  56. Nov 16, 2014
    It has been slightly longer than a year since launch.Those decreeing that this game would be F2P in months have been served their humble pie. And what we have now is something that's rather impressive for an MMO. A failed game, retooled, and turned into a thriving online community.

So far this year we've seen added to the game: Dec 14, 2013 2.1 "A Realm Awoken" - Main Story

So far this year we've seen added to the game:

Dec 14, 2013
    2.1 "A Realm Awoken" - Main Story Continuation; Crystal Tower - Labyrinth of the Ancients 24-man raid; 3 dungeons: Pharos Sirius, Copperbell Mines (Hard,) and Haukke Manor (Hard;) 5 trials: Ultima Weapon, Thornmarch, Garuda, Titan, and Ifrit (Extreme); the first installment of the Hildebrand side quests; 2 Beast Tribe dailies; and 4v4 Arena PvP "The Wolves' Den"; Treasure Hunts; Free Company Housing; and Duty Roulettes

March 26, 2014
    2.2 "Through the Maelstrom" - Main Story Continuation; 8-man raid: Second Coil of Bahamut; 3 Dungeons: Lost City of Amdapor, Halatali (Hard,) and Brayflox's Longstop (Hard;) Trials: Leviathan(Hard/Extreme,) Thornmarch (Extreme,) Battle on the Big Bridge; second installment of Hildebrand sidequests; 2 new Beast Tribe dailies; FC Housing Gardens/Utility Furnishings; Glamours; Retainer Ventures; Zodiac Weapons; Challenge Log

July 7, 2014
    2.3 "Defenders of Eorzea" - Main Story Continuation; Crystal Tower - Syrcus Tower 24-man raid; dungeons: Hullbreaker Isle, Tam-Tara Deepcroft (Hard,) Stone Vigil (Hard;) Trials: Ramuh (Hard/Extreme); 3rd Installment of Hildebrand sidequests; Hunts; Chocobo Raising; FC Housing Private Chambers; Ixal Beast Tribe dailies; Frontlines PvP (24v24v24)

October 28, 2014
    2.4 "Dreams of Ice" - Main Story Continuation; 8-man raid: Final Coil of Bahamut; 3 dungeons: Snowcloak, Sastasha (Hard,) and Sunken Temple of Qarn (Hard;) Trials: Shiva (Hard/Extreme,) Dragon's Neck Colliseum; 4th installment of Hildebrand sidequests; New player class: Rogue; New player job: Ninja

So if you're tracking with all that, that's about 8 additional hours of main story line quests, 4-5 hours of silly Hildebrand sidequests for comic relief, two new high difficulty 8-man raids, two new lower difficulty 24-man raids, 4 completely new dungeons, 8 hard mode dungeons (which aren't just carbon copies of their lower level selves adjusted to 50, but have unique layouts and boss encounters) and over a dozen trials. Not even to mention all the crafting recipes/changes, and all the other minor quality of life changes that just make it a better place to play, not to mention an entirely new class and job. This amount of content would normally be found in a full retail box expansion!

I look forward with great anticipation to the story that we'll be told in the coming years, and all the indisputably Final Fantasy locales, characters, and music we'll be treated to along the way. The game may not for everyone, but it's definitely for me, and I would definitely encourage anyone who wants a treat for the eyes and ears while playing a solid MMORPG to check out FFXIV;ARR.
  57. Dec 8, 2014
    Great game, I look forward too playing it when ever I get a chance. Sadly too say I have one big complaint. Having maintenance take down the servers during peek gaming hours and at the end of a game week is horrible for players like me and others. We understand they need to be done but can it be in the start of the "new week" so we can grind out our weekly points. It's frustrating andGreat game, I look forward too playing it when ever I get a chance. Sadly too say I have one big complaint. Having maintenance take down the servers during peek gaming hours and at the end of a game week is horrible for players like me and others. We understand they need to be done but can it be in the start of the "new week" so we can grind out our weekly points. It's frustrating and needs too be done when there are low number of people playing and not cutting the game week short by 3 hour. Only complaint for this game and will be posting more of them till it can be changed. I've suggested this game to 4 friends already and they too also love the game. Expand
  58. Apr 27, 2015
    In general I'm completely incompatible with JRPG genre as well as Final Fantasy series, so I almost abandoned this game. After I had heard a lot of recommendations, I gave a shot to ARR and I was very surprised in a positive way. After the overcomplicated registration process I found an almost perfect MMORPG with great atmosphere, very good questing and crafting system and decent graphics.
  59. Jan 2, 2016
    After playing FFXIV beta and deciding it was a train wreck, I never played the game up until getting a 30 day account via humble bundle and I've been playing constantly each day enough to warrant a fair review, as with most MMOs your always going to get fanboy reviews with 9 or 10s, and you're going to get haters with 0s which this game doesn't deserve both, FFXIV is a solid 5 because itsAfter playing FFXIV beta and deciding it was a train wreck, I never played the game up until getting a 30 day account via humble bundle and I've been playing constantly each day enough to warrant a fair review, as with most MMOs your always going to get fanboy reviews with 9 or 10s, and you're going to get haters with 0s which this game doesn't deserve both, FFXIV is a solid 5 because its just average, sure it does several things right, but also does several things wrong. FFXIV still suffers from the Ver 1.0 trainwreck but has at least headed in the right direction since then, but still there is a large room for improvement.

Some of the greatest issues are mostly for new players such as making gil, its very difficult for new players to make any descent money since most of the original methods for making money are either over farmed, or dead resources that no one really uses anymore, and with veteran players having countless millions of gil, its created a massive rift in the game, with certain features such as housing clearly showing these problems - having to pay upwards of 4 million+ for a basic house, and perhaps as high as 70 million for a large house is obnoxious, it more or less prevents new players from ever owning a house, garden and all that fun stuff.

Another problem is with questing, simply put - there isn't enough quests, with the primary source of levelling with grinding fates and repeating dungeons which honestly, does get boring quite fast - then times this via the amount of jobs you want to level and you get a really grindy game with honestly, little in the way of content to show for it. The saving grace is that at least when you unlock an advanced job, at least that doesn't start at level 1 at least - crafting and gathering are also both quite grindy and boring, especially at higher levels when you start to need cross job materials so your either forced to buy from other players, and lets face it - alot of these items are not going to be cheap in a player driven economy, or forced to grind it out yourself - which again, adds to more grindfest - veteran players though will probably tell you that ultimately this is one of the few ways you can make large amounts of money later in the game, assuming you can stick with the game long enough.

Questing and combat does have issues as well, with casters suffering from a 2.5 second timer on all offensive spells, plus a global cool down which honestly, feels like the combat is slightly on the slower side compared to melee fighters who have no cast times on skills. The cool downs for magic users feels a tad excessive to be really honest, especially during fates when 2.5 seconds is actually a really long time when casting a spell at a target just for a few melee players to decimate the mob you was targetting in less time.

Another issue is with the fact that some of the quests I would say haven't been properly balanced, some quests are either stupidly easy or stupidly difficult - these are almost always story quests which have balance issues. Also, there isn't any banks, there is a retainer which is kinder like a bank but you don't unlock that until later in the game so for new players. Zone design ranges from great to poor, many zones at least are well designed but personally I never liked the Gridania zones, they feel too cramped and far too many aggro monsters compared to other areas and finally, lag is also a major problem in FFXIV, lag spikes are deadly for squishy characters.

Overall, the game can be fun to play at times if you can stand the monotony of the typical Japanese (excessive) grind, there are many more issues with the game that I could easily mention too but there are also positive points about FFXIV, so I would say that this really is a game that isn't for everyone, but since you can get a free 14 day trial, this could be a game you'll totally enjoy, or hate but at least with the trial, your not losing anything.
  60. Oct 23, 2015
    I've played a lot of games in my time and this one is bad. It's really simplistic, boring combat (press button, wait for cooldown, press the next button), boring missions (take this item to this guy) and clunky controls. It is designed around consoles so on a PC it is especially awkward to play. It looks like a little kids game, in fact I started to google it to see if it was designed forI've played a lot of games in my time and this one is bad. It's really simplistic, boring combat (press button, wait for cooldown, press the next button), boring missions (take this item to this guy) and clunky controls. It is designed around consoles so on a PC it is especially awkward to play. It looks like a little kids game, in fact I started to google it to see if it was designed for young kids. There is no real meat here, it's a dressed up grind fest. It makes me appreciate how good other mmos such as wow, eve, guildwars2 etc actually are and that I should appreciate them more!
    I really wanted this to be a good game I could sink some time into but I knew it wasn't it before hitting even level 10. The first introduction to the game, the hook that should make you think HELL YEAH, after creating your character is a whole bunch of dialog with no voice acting, it's your hint that this game is bad. Lucky they have a free tryout and I didn't waste money on it, they should have mini download of a few gig so you don't have to waste 20gig of data on it too.
  61. Nov 30, 2015
    I am completely bewildered as to why this game is getting such a positive wrap. Laggy servers, terrible, boring and monotonous quest line, extremely poor UI all add up to make this feel like a title from 2005 (if not for the impressive graphics engine). Even so I'd much rather be playing Vanilla WoW cause it was such a smoother game experience, even 10 years ago in comparison to this.I am completely bewildered as to why this game is getting such a positive wrap. Laggy servers, terrible, boring and monotonous quest line, extremely poor UI all add up to make this feel like a title from 2005 (if not for the impressive graphics engine). Even so I'd much rather be playing Vanilla WoW cause it was such a smoother game experience, even 10 years ago in comparison to this.

Alas, this game does not come close to being a WoW killer, and shows no signs of ever being one.

Do yourself a favour... Don't bother.
  62. Oct 8, 2013
    The pacing and gating of the game still needs a lot of work. Gating key content behind instances that require a group that can take up to hours to form is very old hat. After about level 20 any semblance of pacing or direction disappear They really need some help in their game design/balance department. One example, they throw you from level 17 instances into a story quest where youThe pacing and gating of the game still needs a lot of work. Gating key content behind instances that require a group that can take up to hours to form is very old hat. After about level 20 any semblance of pacing or direction disappear They really need some help in their game design/balance department. One example, they throw you from level 17 instances into a story quest where you fight level 11 monsters. It makes no sense.

Overall the game still suffers from poor design choices more than anything. The graphics they nailed, the sound they nailed, the combat is slow but i'm sure there is a crowd for it. Instances are pretty standard don't stand in red and some fights requires you to interact with objects during fights. Nothing revolutionary here though some people will say they are "complicated" or "hard" if you are any type of power gamer at all these will be childs play.

Overall when you get past level 20 the game kind of falls apart into a loosely coupled mess. In my opinion it's not worth your dollars still. There are better offerings out there.

Better than before does not a 10 review from me. They improved a lot but they still don't seem to understand some basic mmo concepts. I would caution buying the game on any 10 review because no honestly rational person can say there are no issues with this game, there are still a lot.

Pick it up if you want a lounge game with very little pressure or twitch skill required. If you are looking for a quick paced mmo avoid this game completely.
  63. Apr 10, 2014
    Before FF14 i played Tera, Swotor, WOW. Tera had a nice action combat system, Swotor a nice Story and WOW was just fun because of my friends. But i searched for a new game with nice story and a different feeling while playing. And FF14 has everything i searched for. It rewards you for doing simply everything.
    I love the FF universum and because of that i like the Models of the monsters
    I love the FF universum and because of that i like the Models of the monsters very much. The fighting System is a mix of dodging Skills like Wildstar and auto attack like in WoW. The Graphic is amazing, the whole game looks like it was made with Love.

For me, i am playing it Solo, it makes a lot of fun. I just wanted to play a Game until Wildstar comes out, because my friends didnt want to play another MMO and for that, it is the perfect game
  64. Nov 1, 2013
    I'm coming at this review from the perspective of simply being a MMO Gamer.
    I have not played the previous iteration of this FF MMO, and my review is not based on the differences of the 2.
    The Good, and the Bad: The Good: Great Graphics and Visuals, actually one of the best Different Class Types to Fit all Persona's Lots of Instance based Content Great looking End Game gear
    I'm coming at this review from the perspective of simply being a MMO Gamer.

The Good, and the Bad:

The Good:
    Great Graphics and Visuals, actually one of the best
    Different Class Types to Fit all Persona's
    Lots of Instance based Content
    Great looking End Game gear

The Bad:
    Global Cool Down is Too Long
    Lack of Direction in Questing. You will easily end up several levels ahead of your quest line.
    Instances have to be unlocked
    This one might just be me, i felt like i was traveling more than i was enjoying the game.
    Fate Grinding
    Instance Queue Times

Summary:
    FFXIV:ARR has great graphics, and great looking end game gear with a variety of classes to choose from.
    However, what killed it for me was the lack of direction and general slow paced game play.
    The Global Cool Down is 2.5 seconds, unless you have a instant cast here and there, combat will become monotonous because you are waiting on the GCD more than you are casting abilities.

It is far to easy to out level your questing line, what i mean is, you will end up being 5+ levels ahead of your questing line. This is actually a huge problem because this games instances are unlocked by doing Story Quests, and Story Quests tend to require a lot of traveling. So unless you strictly do each Story Quest back-to-back-to-back you will easily end up being 10 levels ahead of the instances you are unlocking. Which is fine if you just want to see the inside of them or the story behind them, but for purposes of gear it becomes pointless.

Once you are ahead of your quest line you will most likely end wanting to fate grind, which is fun for the most part AS LONG AS YOU HAVE AOE. If your class lacks a variety of AoE most of the FATES will not give you XP because you are simply not dealing enough damage to the mobs while those with AoE are mowing them down.

Overall i think this game has great graphics and variety, however due to the lack of direction and slow paced "ability usage" inevitably killed this game for me.
  65. Sep 24, 2013
    Be careful if buying this game.
    The game is riddled with unrestrained RMT bots, hacked user accounts that are used as RMT mules that when banned Squeenix refuses to reestablish. Heavy lag problems, long(90min+) dungeon finder queues along with unstable dungeon servers. The game is so poorly coded that high end gpu’s tend to run at very sloppy fps. (Same with Sli/Crossfire)
    As if this
    Be careful if buying this game.
    As if this wasn't good enough their customer support is the worst of any MMO ever to have graced us. Their email support takes 24hrs to create your ticket and 48hrs to receive a copy/paste response to any issue you may be having. Long wait times on phone/chat (2:00hrs+) only to be cut off because there are no agents available after you were already on a queue during working hours!! And even if you get lucky and are able to get attended by an agent they never resolve the issue and always respond with a 'Prepared response' followed by disconnecting the chat/phone call.
    Oh, but wait there's more. You'll love this one. They refuse to take your money. That's right, their payment system is so archaic and sloppy that it's unable to properly process your credit cards. After the first attempt fails your credit card gets locked for 24hrs and each additional attempt resets the timer and adds more wait time (48-72hrs). Until the systems locks your card for 30days. All this information was gathered via phone. The payment process makes no mention of this nor does it provide a way for you to see the time left on your lock down so you're left guessing whether or not you already have the 30 day restriction and resetting the timer if you attempt to use it again. (Customer service doesn't have a way to tell you either )
    Square Enix response to the issue? "It's your fault" "Your credit card denies the payment" Even after repeatedly informing them via email, chat, phone and forums that after calling to our respective banks (that's right more than one credit card/bank) there was no issue with them.
    OK, so paying with cc is a no-go. Let's try their "Crysta" system (it's a payment system similar to Xbox microsoft points). Assuming you fall under their designated allowed countries (Brazil & Venezuela aren't part of America and Puerto Rico isn't part of the USA Sqeenix has spoken!) you will be able to buy crysta via the UltimatePay option by buying their pre-paid $20 cards. Please note that this card will also be rejected by Squeenix and you will be required to call UltimatePay support in order for them to manually push the crysta onto your account once you provide them the card code via phone call.
    I strongly recommend staying away from this game until Square Enix fixes all these issues if at all. Please note that from past experience (FFXI, FFXIV) Square Enix has for the most part always ignored the player and done their own thing at their own pace. If anything I hope this post helps new players get a clearer picture of what they're getting into after paying for the game.

Current outstanding issues on forums for those interested:
    Payment Method Registration Errors [Error Code 401 and 601]
    Can't Buy Crysta
    Error 2002 and 90000

You can view all issues at their Technical Support Forum:
  66. Sep 13, 2013
    First of all; play this on PC. The goosebump factor in this game is very high. They have taken past elements of all that made the FF series awesome and put it into one game. It almost feels like FFTactics the MMO. Combat is a little slow paced, so if you're one of those twitchy game players you'll feel held back. Two of the instances near the point of the game that separatesFirst of all; play this on PC. The goosebump factor in this game is very high. They have taken past elements of all that made the FF series awesome and put it into one game. It almost feels like FFTactics the MMO. Combat is a little slow paced, so if you're one of those twitchy game players you'll feel held back. Two of the instances near the point of the game that separates levelling from end-game are fantastic. Some of the best stuff i've seen, even from single player games. The boss fights in those instances make you certainly feel like you've earned it by the time you've beaten them. After those instances, however, there doesn't feel like your character has any real reason to keep going. There are contrived reasons given to you by NPC's, but once you're done with the main story quest chain you've pretty much beaten the game. Expand
  67. Oct 7, 2013
    FFXIV:ARR is a 1000 times better than the failure the initial release was, and I think we all agree on that. But sadly FFXIV:ARR has become 'yet an other MMO' like so many are. It's not really offering anything new in mechanics it's all been done before. The story though is is very well told, but what else can you expect from a FF game?

Graphics at maxed settings are excellent, but my

Graphics at maxed settings are excellent, but my GPUs (GTX460 SLI) do run close to full performance. Music is good too, and for once that 'standard' FF tune isn't the only one played in a FF game.

Personally I think there are enough equivalent MMOs out there that do not require a monthly subscription. I have paid up front for 3 months, but I already can't be bothered to really play it because of it's mediocre mechanics and gameplay.
  68. Sep 7, 2013
    Awesome game, Beautiful scenery, nice storyline, hard dungeons, challenging game overall! Ive just got my first character to 50 and there's still tons of content to explore and constant new content coming in.
  69. Oct 20, 2013
    There were a couple bright spots in this game but overall I found it to be painfully boring. The ability to mix abilities from different classes is a great idea. Unfortunately most abilities feel much the same. Combat felt slow paced. The Questing is its worst flaw. Reading through incredibly dull and unimaginative dialogue from quest giving NPCs was nothing short of a chore. None ofThere were a couple bright spots in this game but overall I found it to be painfully boring. The ability to mix abilities from different classes is a great idea. Unfortunately most abilities feel much the same. Combat felt slow paced. The Questing is its worst flaw. Reading through incredibly dull and unimaginative dialogue from quest giving NPCs was nothing short of a chore. None of it is compelling and I ended up skipping through all of it after a while. The character models look good but the graphics for the environments are sub-par and that's with all settings maxed. The tool used to find a group for dungeons is probably the slowest I've encountered. Especially when considering it can group you with anyone in the NA servers. PVP is completely absent at launch and will be limited when it does come from what I've read. I tried to like this game and gave it some time hoping it would get better as my character progressed but that just didn't happen. Expand
  70. Sep 7, 2013
    Much better since the update. This has been the most fun I have had playing a MMO in a long time. Also, the graphics are amazing for a MMO. Truly beautiful in certain areas.
  71. Aug 31, 2013

72. Aug 30, 2013
    This game is a masterstroke in experience exactly the way Final Fantasy titles should be.

The game feels extremely traditional in terms of Final Fantasy the story and game lean heavily towards the Fantasy end of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi spectrum. The combat is slower than other MMOs where trying to watch your character fight is an exercise in the suspension of disbelief. Here, Monks roll through complex series of tackles, punches and spinning kicks in a believable sequence while Paladins actually appear to be blocking with their shields.

The biggest shock here is the total lack of Talent trees. I admit I made it all the way to 50 and didn't even notice until somebody mentioned it in passing in our Free Company's chat. I don't miss it at all.

The story is unbelievably interwoven into the leveling experience in a way no other MMO has ever achieved. My character was an active participant in gorgeous cutscenes, and she really seemed like a bona-fide hero. The lip service other games pay to the concept of the player as the central hero of the story pales in comparison to FFXIV, where rather than 'oh, and a band of adventurers managed to defeat the firelord,' by the end of the story it's more along the lines of 'oh, holy hell, it's that Hero who is central to the story now.'

The boss fights are appropriately amazing, with the primal fights rivaling some of the greatest moments from Ulduar and Firelands in WoW. These boss fights are gorgeous, as is the entire game no MMO on the market looks like this.

Crafting is a huge delight. It starts off nearly as simple as in other MMOs, but by the level cap the sheer number of abilities and choices will lead to desperate struggles to correctly create a +1 piece of max-level gear. These items are easily boss fights for crafters in their own rights, and the complexity of this system is entirely unrivaled in the MMO market.

This is an experience no gamer should miss. The entire creation is a love letter to Final Fantasy fans and gamers in general. It may not objectively be to some as good an MMO as GWII or WoW, but it has the secret sauce that makes people fall in love with a game.
  73. Sep 26, 2013
    I can honestly say I have not been so bored in a MMO since....well...never. The combat is a matter of hitting the same buttons in the same pattern (macrod to my keyboard after first hour) and sidestepping the occasional special attack.
    Quests are kill 10 wolves and fedex as is the standard, but do no reward nearly as much xp as just standing around whopping stuff and hitting any events you see pop up for the same amount of time. In fact ignoring side quests completely led to a much better experience with my second character as I was out of the training wheels portion much earlier.
    When will MMO's figure out that the majority of the people playing can figure out their systems without being forced to do the "tutorial levels" for the first few hours of gameplay? As this game is exactly like every other MMO (with a couple gimmicks) why do I need to spend an hour and a half learning how to do a combo? I figured that out when I got my second attack. Make this crap optional, I have played dozens of these games!
    Much like going from one fast food chain to the other. The wrappers different but the food tastes the same. Just this one requires you subscribe.
  74. Sep 7, 2013
    Excellent game with amazing graphics and a really well done musical score, as expected from any FF game.

While the launch (and pre-launch) were plagued by disconnects and other server issues, they have done an excellent job over the last week or so in clearing those up, and are expected to continue to improve the server performance and stability in the coming weeks. Game play is

Game play is fluid and feels very good, animations are very well done and really match the skill or spell they are assigned to, while giving your actions a sense of weight that many games lack.
  75. Oct 3, 2013
    Game is too boring. Played for almost 30 hours. As a conjurer i was just spamming aero, not doing anything else to win a fight (except run). The evolution was very slow at some parts.

Found missions and storyline meanless, with no relevant content. Items where all about the sanme. I felt a kind of waste of time with this game. Most of the time i felt a sense of "I am lost and alone"

Most of the time i felt a sense of "I am lost and alone" looking for the mission objectives. Map is a complete nonsense and let you dizzy.

Didnt see anything new or relevant to continue to play. It was extremelly boring and at the end i realize it was a waste of money.

Also the necessary monthly fee was not so clear before I purchase the game... a TIP for everyone who wants to adventure yourself.
  76. Nov 6, 2013
    The game is a total grid fest. Yes you can have one toon and do it all but OMG. There’s only enough quests out there for 2 “MAYBE” 3 classes worth of grinding and that’s still doing fates Rifts like in rift or should I say stolen from Rift or ark falls in defiance) The combat system is complete trash every ability is on a global cool down due to the cross platform factor. Set a macro andThe game is a total grid fest. Yes you can have one toon and do it all but OMG. There’s only enough quests out there for 2 “MAYBE” 3 classes worth of grinding and that’s still doing fates Rifts like in rift or should I say stolen from Rift or ark falls in defiance) The combat system is complete trash every ability is on a global cool down due to the cross platform factor. Set a macro and auto combat. While the game looks GREAT the mechanics and game play is so far below the line to even call it a Final Fantasy game. Gold spammers ever where, and due to SE’s lack of planning for the PC gamers there is no such thing and right click so if u want to ignore someone that takes an hour to open the menu then try to catch the spammer through the waves upon waves of spam. Within the first week of open game play you couldn’t walk into a town without getting spam in gen chat and IM’d constantly… Crafting is ok not the best crafting system out there, again a system stolen from another game. The crafting system is much like that of Vanguard, however the market is so trashed due to all the gold farmers you can’t make any money, and on top of that, that is how SE expects you to make money so good luck there. The community is the worst part though, one of the main grind instances for level 50+ gear just happens to be the 2nd to last instance of the main quest line. People speed run that instance and just leave the new comers behind they don’t even care if it’s your 1st or 50th time through. While this game could be great it falls short in a big way.
    Find a demo or get on a friends account. This game is good for about 1 month then the grind and the community will get you and you will wish you had every cent back.
  77. Oct 3, 2013
    You can get to max level super fast. If you are one of those players that puts in a full 3 day weekend. You could probably get a max level character in that time. Then at max level you have a few choices. First you need to gear up a bit. That requires that you repeat the same dungeon over and over until you have enough of the currency required to buy that gear.

After you gear up (Really

After you gear up (Really takes no time at all even tho its super tedious and repetitive) You have have the option to do raid content. Yay. Well there is only one raid so far. A single 8 man raid for you to take down and repeat weekly.

So, now you have a max level character and you have some gear. What to do, what to do. Run coil, wait a week, rinse repeat.

tl:dr Pace of the game is super fast leaving you with next to nothing to do in a very short amount of time.
  78. Nov 29, 2013
    While it has improved a lot from the "1.0" launch version, not everything has changed for the better. FFXIV is completely average and doesn't try to excel at anything.

The storyline has been changed from a quest every 5 levels (give or take) to a hand-holding, tunnel vision, JRPG-style story that leads you from one quest hub to the next and locking you out of everything that you haven't done a tutorial for. I appreciate the attempt at a longer and revamped story but it has so many small problems that, while being the highlight of the game, is still sub-par for both JRPGs and story-centric MMOs. Many parts of the main story are NPCs literally just handing you extra "kill X" and "loot Y" quests that have become a cancer on MMOs. Everything outside of the story quest you are currently on is locked out until you are "allowed" to do it; for example, I had two mounts I earned during 1.0, but I wasn't able to use them until I completed a level 20 quest that I didn't have access to on my level 50 character because I wasn't that far in the story yet. If you're looking for a JRPG, try replaying one of Square's older games instead.

The combat has been reworked into a hotkey spamfest. Like most modern MMOs, once you find your "rotation", you will be facerolling for most of the story and into endgame. "Red circle dodging" has become ridiculous in 2.0 with most endgame content requiring more running in circles than actual fighting. Playing a melee class is infuriating with many late/end game enemies spamming ground targeted AoEs that have a habit of one-shotting non-tanks. In short, the gameplay has become a slower version of GW2 with even more AoE spam from enemies.

Endgame consists of grinding the same 2 dungeons for months to get tokens (why don't the dungeons drop token-strength gear?) to upgrade your gear so you can grind harder dungeons to get bigger numbers. All equip from 1.0 has been streamlined into just bigger numbers and stripped of unique stats & buffs; AF quests used to require a party to help and rewarded some of the best gear in the game with Job-enhancing stats. Now AF is trivialized, handed to you for finishing solo content and discarded once you get Darklight. Everyone looks the same, uses the same rotation, and is running the same dungeons to increase their numbers.

After 2 years of reworking, FFXIV still has too many small problems to really be any better than "good". With all the huge changes in 2.0, many old problems were fixed but many new problems were introduced. Overall this is an average MMO, using average gameplay elements seen from many other popular MMOs while introducing no innovation or creativity. There is too much pandering, too much recycling of content, and too much rehashing of old FF elements (what does Lightning from FFXIII have to do with this game?). FFXIV is a western gameplay jigsaw puzzle pieced together by an eastern dev who bring nothing new of their own to fill in the gaps.
  79. May 20, 2014
    **This is a long review, but I am just trying to help out my fellow hardcore MMO players out there. Even though I am a huge World of Warcraft fan and have played the game (WoW) for many years, I am not comparing FF14 to WoW. I am just trying to save you disappointment if you are trying to fill that WoW void with another MMO.**

**Short list of Pros and Cons at the top, while details

**Short list of Pros and Cons at the top, while details will be below that**

Pros:
    + You can level all the classes and professions on one toon.
    + Plenty to do and experience leveling your first class.
    + Good graphics with a decent story.
    + Pretty easy to get geared and get right into the endgame action (This can be viewed as a con as well)
    + Challenging bosses for the parts of the game that haven't been nerfed yet.

Cons:
    - Game world/community just feels empty and dull while questing.
    - NO world PvP. The game does have arena-like PvP, but it is the most boring thing ever.
    - There is no stand-out gear that separates the casuals from the best players. You can pretty much get the same ilvl gear without completing the hardest content in the game.
    - Professions are useless for improving your endgame, so there is no point in leveling them.
    - 30 minute to 1 hour dungeon queues for DPS classes using the duty-finder.
    - Too easy for bad players to get gear!!!

FF14 Review:

I have played this game for 40 days now while putting at least 5 hours a day into the game, so I feel I can give an honest review of the game. Like most MMOs, the gameplay grabbed my attention right away, but fell short for endgame material in my opinion.

I am basing my review on Character Leveling, Endgame, Professions/Crafting, and just the overall server community (this will vary depending on which server you play on).

Character Leveling: 7 out of 10
    What I like about this, is that you can basically level every class to 50 on one toon, which prevents the game from getting too boring right away, because you can mix-and-match different abilities. If you get bored of leveling a healer, just switch to a DPS class or tank.

You can level by questing, queuing for dungeons (which start at lvl 15), doing Fates (random events that pop up around the world, which involve killing things), queuing for Guildhests (mini-dungeon). Basically, the game offers a variety of ways to level.

The thing that sucks about using the same character to get your first few classes to 50, is that you will eventually run out of quests to do, because the quests don't reappear when you level a new class. As a result, you will be forced to grind fates over and over and over.

Endgame: 5 out of 10
    (Before you FF14 fanboys bash me, I've completed Titan Ex and made it to T9 as a WHM. Basically, I feel I'm qualified to comment on endgame.)

Dungeons consist of 4-man groups; Raids are usually 8-man groups, aside from Labyrinth which is 24.

*Endgame provides a decent amount of dungeons for new players, such as Labyrinth of the Ancients, Primal HMs and Exs, and Bahamut Coil 1-9. My complaint with endgame isn't that the content is easy, but rather that you can grind the easier dungeons over and over and pretty much end up with the same gear as those who take pride in being a skilled player and spend hours wiping on near-impossible bosses.

I feel the endgame is what killed this game for me. It basically becomes a grind-fest for Tomestones (these are used to get ilvl 90 raid gear). You don't even need to be good at the game and get equivalent gear to the best hardcore players. At lvl 50, most people are walking around with the same blues and looking the same. Due to this, you will get grouped with a lot of terrible players that were most likely carried by others.

On a side note, it is really easy to gear up your other classes on the same toon. Just from healing raids over and over, I was pretty much able to get a full bard set and tank set.

Professions/Crafting: 3 out of 10
    This game isn't any different from most other MMOs. It is a time-killer and doesn't give you any better gear that you can't easily farm for yourself. Most people do it just to sell stuff on the auction house (BTW... Money is pretty much pointless in this game. The only time you will spend it is on stuff for your guild house), or just to get achievement points. Basically... There is no benefit to leveling any profession to lvl 50.

Server/Community: 4 out of 10
    Even though this is a MMO, most of the time you feel like you're playing the game by yourself. Once in a while you will group with people for dungeons/raids, but outside of that, the game just feels lonely. This is coming from someone that is on a popular server too. You will have the gold farmers spamming non-stop; the occasional troll yelling out random things; and the people in party finder needing people for extreme primals or fate grinding to upgrade their relic weapon. The world just feels empty to me. Maybe because their is no world PvP? I still can't put my finger on it.
  80. May 22, 2014
    It's not bad, it's just... ok. I wanted to like it, but there is not much to be enjoyed. It has nothing bad. But there's also nothing to look forward.

PRO: Graphics. Mostly outdoors, cities and characters are a bit meh. But in general they are good. CON: Skills and spells are dull. I could see all the skills I was going to get and there was none I could be really looking forward

PRO:

CON:
    Skills and spells are dull. I could see all the skills I was going to get and there was none I could be really looking forward to.

The game is fine. The problem is Rift is better, GW2 is better, Wildstar beta looked like it will be better, even Neverwinter Online would be better if it weren't for the horrible subscription model.

I would say, if oyu love FF universe, you can still enjoy it. Otherwise, even though not having anything really wrong, you won't
  81. Aug 10, 2014
    Wow so sad to see this amazing MMO being down-rated because of problems that happened a year ago on launch day. All you incredibly learned individuals who gave this game low scores based on "launch day issues" and didn't come back to adjust your score should all just stop using the internet for humanity's sake.

As an MMO veteran, I will give this game nothing short of a 10 for

As an MMO veteran, I will give this game nothing short of a 10 for attempting to be awesome. Some say it's a WoW clone just because it has a skill bar. Other than that there is nothing WoW like about it. This is like a cross between UO and EQ with awesome FF story telling. I typically hate dialogue in MMOs but the story telling in this game is so compelling I actually enjoy the main quest line. Which is there for those who want it, and many MMO basics like mounts and airships are also level locked (a la FF games) which seems bad but they really make it work in providing a feeling of accomplishment.

There is so much to do in this game between being able to play every class as one character, and trying out all the crafting and gathering professions, that it never feels like a linear progression regardless of whether you follow the story or not. It's just an awesome blend of open world exploration / harvesting and story line that I haven't seen in any MMO to date. I really think this is what ESO was trying to be. Also, best fishing system ever. My only regret is that I waited this long to try it.
  82. Apr 17, 2014
    I have played FFXIV since the original 1.0 release date. 1.0 had it's shortcomings but when A Realm Reborn came out, they totally made up for it. This game has such an immersible, beautiful world with so many fun quests, fights, and dungeons. It's highly addictive and every major update that adds even more content make it even more addictive to continue playing. Thank you Square Enix,I have played FFXIV since the original 1.0 release date. 1.0 had it's shortcomings but when A Realm Reborn came out, they totally made up for it. This game has such an immersible, beautiful world with so many fun quests, fights, and dungeons. It's highly addictive and every major update that adds even more content make it even more addictive to continue playing. Thank you Square Enix, this game is so good. Expand
  83. May 5, 2014
    This game looks beautiful and the sounds and music are fantastic. The overall story is exceptionally written. Another great feature is being able to be all classes with one character.

This game is full of Final Fantasy nostalgia, and is a great fit for any fan of the series.

The only downsides are that the end game sinks into the normal MMO trap of grinding for gear.
  84. Jul 26, 2014
    FFXIV is easily the best MMO I've ever played (right above GW1 and far above FFXI). In terms of contemporary MMO's, I hate the lack of the trinity in GW 2, which feels like a solo game. I hate the aesthetic and feel of WoW, although I appreciate the group play and dungeon queueing. FFXIV takes the best from everyone else and puts it in one package. My only complaint is the that theFFXIV is easily the best MMO I've ever played (right above GW1 and far above FFXI). In terms of contemporary MMO's, I hate the lack of the trinity in GW 2, which feels like a solo game. I hate the aesthetic and feel of WoW, although I appreciate the group play and dungeon queueing. FFXIV takes the best from everyone else and puts it in one package. My only complaint is the that the gear choices are too linear, and there aren't different options available to cater to different builds. There is only better and better stated gear, but no gear diversity with different utility (but that is a problem that most MMO's suffer from: linear gear progression instead of interesting gear selection. For example, in Diablo 2, you might use a level 29 ring just because it fit your build, even at level 99. In FFXIV there are no items with unique properties, gear is just a grind hill). Expand
  85. Sep 7, 2013
    It's really a funny mmorpg. Much better than version 1.0. The history is good, the gameplay is great and challenges offer fun to the players.

It's really funny to play the dungeons and trials of this game with your friends and free companies.

It's a good option to players who are looking for non free-to-play mmo's.
  86. Sep 11, 2013
    Now a mediocre game instead of an abysmal turd. This qualifies as a tremendous turn around for Square Enix, but don't expect anything other than archaic mechanics and a mundane story.
  87. Sep 2, 2013
    Amazing game! Just hit 50 and I still can't get enough of this game! the content is hard near end game and the game promises even harder content and expansions! Even with the server issues that is the only downside of the game, it's personaly speaking, a wow killer. I feel like it is what Titan would have been.
  88. Sep 3, 2013
    This MMO is one of the most enjoyable I have played in years. It has its launch issues with too many players not enough servers, but they are being fixed. So I am being patiently cause the game itself is BRILLIANT ^^ Well worth the wait
  89. Sep 7, 2013
    Probably the best MMO of all time, and I have played a lot! Graphics best in any game currently out,and adapted for ps3 version, also coming up on ps4 as well. Those who are comparing it to only ps3 version graphics are sadly mistaken. PC's make this game so beautiful. Gameplay, most people complaing about the game clearly haven't even made it to end game. People complaining aboutProbably the best MMO of all time, and I have played a lot! Graphics best in any game currently out,and adapted for ps3 version, also coming up on ps4 as well. Those who are comparing it to only ps3 version graphics are sadly mistaken. PC's make this game so beautiful. Gameplay, most people complaing about the game clearly haven't even made it to end game. People complaining about grind, lets be realistic, this is a game of earning things, and not given to you with little effort. With that said, we are only 2 weeks into the game, and I work 50+ hours a week, and have already completed a class to 50, main storyline finished, and a gathering class to 50. If people think that's a grind, then they know nothing about the world of MMO's lol.

Endgame: So much here to do, with content being flushed out every 3 months. Hard mode fights, Dungeon's, relic quest, Epic fates, Crafting, Gathering luminary weapons, Primal fights, 24 man instances, PvP, etc....

Don't be confused with the negativity of a new start, the reason everyone is congesting the servers, is because tons of people are loving to play the game, that should give you indication of how good this game is. My advice, stick through the early levels, and congestion problems, you will be glad you did!! I guarantee you that!
  90. Nov 30, 2013
    I'm a big FF franchise fan and I was stoked to play this, lots of hype. There's good and bad, as with every game, but overall I found this game to be incredibly underwhelming. A great big "MEH". I really wasn't sucked in the way I have been with other games, even though it offers some really cool (albeit unoriginal things).

Good: -Price, $30 is pretty reasonable, considering what you

Good: -Price, $30 is pretty reasonable, considering what you get
    - Graphics are amazing, though not recommended for anything less than an Nvidia 570 or above, or radeon 6870 and above if you want to get close to ultra settings, it's pretty demanding on systems.
    - Lots of detail, the mounts, pets, cities, characters and country side are very well drawn out with lots of little features
    - Great story lines adult scripts, not fluff for little kids, there's swearing and some "colorful" themes lol
    - Seems to be a decent crafting system in place, lots of mats to farm for ppl that like that thing

Cons: Quests don't teach you much, you really have to make google your friend with this game. Can be very confusing and infuriating trying to figure out how to play and how to complete a quest. Like under quest objectives it will say "complete the quest objective". Ya, thanks for that...
    - Skills are very limited and very banal. Enjoy your half dozen ineffective skills with no customization.
    - Everyone looks the same. You're gonna wear THIS armor, and you're gonna not like it. No dressing room either.
    - Very tedious UI and game mechanics. To hand in an item you have to talk to the NPC, open your item log, click on the item to select "hand over" or place it in the "hand over box" then press "hand over". Iknowright?
    - Map tells you nothing, and there's icons all over the place that you will have no idea what they are, next to players, next to mobs, above NPCs. It's a crapshoot.
    - absolutely 0 visible range on mobs, PCs or NPCs. You can see them, but mousing over them does nothing past about 50 yards. That'll be fun for pvp...

I'm sure they'll eventually fix it up and change a lot of things, they've already made some improvements while I was playing, but as of Dec 1/13 I would say wait another 3 months or so or you might become really disappointed and never come back to it.
  91. Sep 27, 2013
    I think all final fantasy fans have waited long enough to finally get their new MMO after the first FFXIV fiasco we had. I played more than 100 hours, so you can expect I've seen everything this game has to offer, and I'll tell you: This game has almost nothing to offer. The whole basic idea is great, I love how the story is set, the animations and everything are probably the best I'veI think all final fantasy fans have waited long enough to finally get their new MMO after the first FFXIV fiasco we had. I played more than 100 hours, so you can expect I've seen everything this game has to offer, and I'll tell you: This game has almost nothing to offer. The whole basic idea is great, I love how the story is set, the animations and everything are probably the best I've seen in a MMO. But here comes the bad news: It's one huge boring grind fest with no diversity what so ever. You can hit max level pretty quick, you can either take the slower road to quest trough everything, or you can grind your way faster with FATEs, you choose. You get Items shoved down your throat all the time so you won't even need the action house and economy this game has to offer, which causes in end game you have almost no possibility to make some money. Once you hit max level you're gonna grind the same dungeons over and over again to gear up (I wouldn't mind that if there are actually a lot of dungeons, but there are 2-3 dungeons you're gonna spam....3 DAMN DUNGEONS that take you almost an hour to complete with little to no reward, just to get some tomes you can turn in for gear), with the same boring rotation you're character has. You almost never use any situational spells at all. The bosses are all so easy, you pretty much just need to dodge everything the boss launches at you, and that's not even hard because you get red indicators where the bosses attack will land. There is no feel of achievement in this game at all, all players are forced to do the same dungeons which results in no diversity again in all characters in the end. I really hope the game is gonna bring A LOT of new good content with the next patches, but as it is right now, you have to be a robot to enjoy this game. Expand
  92. Sep 28, 2013
    It's pretty and what's there is polished but overall, FFXIV is a stripped down and dumber than usual post WoW clone that plays too fast and easy and which has little chance of keeping players busy like the old school MMORPGs it wants to copy (in regard to subs, little about the game itself is old school at all). FFXIV lacks MANY quality of life touches and features typically found inIt's pretty and what's there is polished but overall, FFXIV is a stripped down and dumber than usual post WoW clone that plays too fast and easy and which has little chance of keeping players busy like the old school MMORPGs it wants to copy (in regard to subs, little about the game itself is old school at all). FFXIV lacks MANY quality of life touches and features typically found in premium (MMO)RPGs. Making the game work on out of date consoles diminishes the PC potential.

The story quests are generic, simplistic, and tedious. Other quests, when they exist are ultra simplistic and silly easy. The game has a public quest system called fates that are almost always zero challenge, zero threat, and tons of reward for doing nothing. Often at times while leveling, or especially when leveling alt classes, you'll ONLY be able to do fates you will do many fates. The dungeons have very fun bosses but are filled with tedious trash.

Endgame is pretty typical grind some content, get your special currency, hand it in for gear, except in FFXIV there isn't a whole lot of content to grind to get that gear. Endgame content is an odd mix of very few challenging encounters mixed with some stupidly easy content and players tend to grind the least challenging most rewarding content (since there are no lockouts or restrictions or limits) so most players grind the same 2 instance several times a day for days.

The game suffers big time from quality of life issues. No attributes or important stats on item comparison, clunky/brutal inventory system, clunkier/more brutal armoire system, cumbersome banking/market/ah system, no item preview, no server transfers, and on and on the list goes.

FFXIV has a 2.5 second global cooldown, which is the wait time between actions in combat. You either fire an instant ability and wait 2.5s before you can act again, or you have spells with a 2.5s or higher casting time. The 2.5s GCD slows down combat. The theory is that it gives players more time to think although when you have simplified and stripped down and simplistic classes as in FFXIV, there isn't much to think about. Most MMORPGs (except FFXI, the predecessor) have a 1.5s GCD and often give you ways to reduce it to 1s or give you abilities "off the GCD".

FFXIV has somewhat pretty graphics but for one thing, it has smallish zones with little to no exploration value, invisible barriers, you can't go in water or swim or fall off a cliff and die, or fall off a bridge, you can't jump off a dock into the ocean, you can't go into water that's more than knee deep, and so on. The bigger issue with the graphics is that the engine can't render lots of avatars at once, so in some game content, like when rare level 50 bosses appear every few days and hundreds of players show up, you can see maybe 20 players near you and may or may not be able to see and target the boss even when standing right on him.

One of the potentially interesting things about FFXIV that ends up not being so great is how they do their class system. Any character can unlock and do any class (crafting and gathering disciplines are classes too). Some skills from a given class can be used wither classes (cross class skills) that allows you to augment your character a little. Then eventually you unlock jobs (prereq levels from 2 classes, for ex, gladiator conjuror paladin). Where this kind of breaks down is with the fact that jobs are highly restricted for cross class skills and even the base classes can often only find so many usefull skills to tack on, such that in the end, every player ends up being similar because there are so few choices.

FFXIV doesn't have talents or any other way to customize your character, so with cross class skills being so limited, you end up with everybody being the same. On top of that all gear looks the same and there's no real customization (there are armor dyes but you can't dye the better gear. As a result, every player is a clone.

The crafting system is a mix of a cool minigame style of going for high quality with skills and finite resources, but this ends up being brutally tedious to level up and since crafted gear is generic with drops and quest rewards until level 50, there isn't much point to crafting except to max it out for endgame.

Gathering is also a minigame of sorts in that you can use skills to increase gathering change or to get high quality materials. Cool idea that's buried in brutal tedium as you run around in a circle tapping 4 tightly placed nodes that respawn faster than you circle.

The game had a brutal release and even now players can wait 15-45 minutes to "reserve" a level 50 instance even joining as a full group.

The game is plagued with gil spammers (RMT) in public chat and whispers.

Console tie in results in small zones, tons of loading screens, screwy UI design, and 3/4 of cutscenes having no voice overs. Even the tiny cities are multi-zoned.
  93. Sep 3, 2013
    As an original player of FFXIV 1.0, I have to admit, I went into ARR with low expectations. I expected to see a rushed product only hoping to recoup the massive losses that 1.0 incurred. That said, I was blown away by the sheer overhaul of the game. The environments, sound, gameplay all did a massive 180-degree turn.

Everything has made a drastic improvement from the original, with

Everything has made a drastic improvement from the original, with better combat, a better HUD, and more accessibility for those who are new to the game. That being said, launch has been plauged significantly with constant server congestion and lockouts, which is annoying, seeing as how the game is beautiful once you beat the dreaded 1017. Much of the problem lies in SE not being prepared for the positive reaction to the game, which is a catch twenty-two indeed.

As of today, Sept. 3rd, there is a scheduled maintenence that will hopefully restore functionality to the servers and clear up the massive congestion.

tl;dr: The game is EXCELLENT once you get passed the dreaded 1017 log-in issues.
  94. Sep 6, 2013
    This is the first game to satisfy my MMO craving since WOW. I tried GW2 for a few months but it lacked the depth and social interaction i desired. FFXIV is easily accessible to MMO newcomers and offers enough content for veterans. The community is extremely helpful and it is nice to be able to play with both PC and PS3 players. My Free Company is composed of both PC and PS3 players and weThis is the first game to satisfy my MMO craving since WOW. I tried GW2 for a few months but it lacked the depth and social interaction i desired. FFXIV is easily accessible to MMO newcomers and offers enough content for veterans. The community is extremely helpful and it is nice to be able to play with both PC and PS3 players. My Free Company is composed of both PC and PS3 players and we are one big happy family. The server problems are fixed after their first big patch so all of the haters can stop picking and just enjoy the best final fantasy experience in years. Expand
  95. Sep 11, 2013
    This game is a true success story, a total comeback kid. So far I love everything about this game. The gameplay, while not necessarily revolutionary, is done well, and to be honest I think that's what MMO gamers want. Something that's just done *well.*
  96. Sep 4, 2013
    Final Fantasy ARR is a completely different game from the original release. I would probably give it a slightly lower score than a ten but someone has to counteract all of the unreasonable people who gave the game a one within the first week of launch. Yeah, Square messed up the launch pretty badly but they admitted a fault and took care of it.

The game is a joy to play and while it

The game is a joy to play and while it does have many small flaws, it has the spark that many MMO's seem to be missing lately. The dev team also seems genuinely interested in providing the best experience for their fans. Sometimes it just takes time to get the kinks worked out. Great game.
  97. Sep 6, 2013
    FF14:ARR is a standard theme park MMO. If you don't like games like WoW, RIFT, Warhammer Online or Lord of the Rings Online, this game isn't probably for you either.

If you like those games, FF14:ARR is for you! The core mechanics are great. Everything works polished. The story is awsome, the FATE-Events are fun. The graphic is absolutely awsome! Many MMO-Devs say that it's not

The graphic is absolutely awsome! Many MMO-Devs say that it's not possible to create a MMO with awsome graphics and runs on middle class computers. FF14 takes those comments and spits on them. This game looks nothing else than awsome!

Really, really good game!
  98. Aug 30, 2013
    Really good game, very polished. Everything but the combat and class system is 10/10. Best UI, QoL, Vanilla WoW feel. Combat is currently slow and the class system is very convoluted and unnecessary. Would give the game a good 8.5/10 until they make changes to combat. Giving it a 10/10 to counter the idiots giving it a 0 because they couldn't log in the first second on the first day.
  99. Jan 12, 2014
    Leaving this review because this game is just way way better than the 7.3 average score it has from the community. If you spend a little while reading the reviews here, pay attention to the date! You will find that there are a bunch of 8's 9's 10's from current reviews and then a bunch of 1's and 0's that are almost all back from August when it launched and impatient nerds freaked thatLeaving this review because this game is just way way better than the 7.3 average score it has from the community. If you spend a little while reading the reviews here, pay attention to the date! You will find that there are a bunch of 8's 9's 10's from current reviews and then a bunch of 1's and 0's that are almost all back from August when it launched and impatient nerds freaked that there were game server issues....for an mmo launch.... Since then they have added a bunch of servers, brought huge patches and generally explained that there was just way more initial demand for the game than they had ever expected. Well, I can undertstand the whiner reviews (sort of) but the end result is a metacritic number that is (even objectively speaking).. not an indication of the game's quality, but an average of the differences of opinion from those who came here to complain at the initial launch, to those who waited a bit to actually play/review.

All of that aside, this game is absolutely wonderful. It's got that delightful FF universe, Square polish, the benefit of the advancements in the genre by games that came before it, and some incredibly smart design decisions. I have a hard time describing that part but there are just little details that you will see constantly as a reminder that this is a very new high quality MMO, it's learned from its predecessors and has thought of smarter ways to do the little things throughout the entire game. I have played WoW since vanilla, Rift, SW:Tor, Anarchy Online, DCUO, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter, others i'm forgetting etc. and this is a very, VERY worthy modern day release of the MMO. They didn't reinvent much, but they did a lot of things smarter/better and the game world is absolutely gorgeous and the soundtrack is absolutely top notch. I enjoy the cross classing and freedom the game gives you. I have a blast with the gameplay as there are so many attempts to unlimit your freedom, change back and forth between classes without logging, do all your crafting on one char, have a backpack for every single gear slot that simply pops up when you click the gear slot you are looking for so as not to clutter the UI or your main bags. Crafting is actually somewhat fun because they built a minigame with leveling and abilities around it. Teleport to the town you want to go to instantly and from anywhere with no cooldown (but a gil cost), and use waypoints within the towns for free. Never need to mail yourself an item for your alt again.....(i'll let that one sit a minute)...because YOU are the alt, just equip a new gear set and your hotbars change along with it, and your level changes to whatever you've leveled that class to. Great for helping friends, although you can always sync your level down to that of your friends so you can always play a main with a friend and not ruin their exp or difficulty level.

Lastly, it's subscription....and I am so thankful for that. I was getting so incredibly sick of all the F2P crapola that would try and squeeze as much real life money out of you as possible and at every other turn. I am more than happy to pay for quality and be free from the annoyances of getting nickle and dimed and bombarded with reasons to want to fill up the mmo cash tank. This game is saving me more per month by saving me from blowing through other games than I'm spending on it. Just take my money and deliver thanks, this game does.

TL;DR I'm a hardcore MMO vet and have enjoyed FF since the first one; I am in love with this game right now as are some of my other WoW buddies and similar longtime MMO players. Well worth your gaming dollar.
  100. Sep 11, 2013
    While I'd love to give this game a 10, I can't. The server login issues alone warrant a reduction in rating. Most of those are being resolved and the game is actually quite good. Graphics are good for a PS3 open world game. The plot lines seem good so far. I would encourage people to spend some time with the game before making a judgement on their own. The now free upgrade to the PS4While I'd love to give this game a 10, I can't. The server login issues alone warrant a reduction in rating. Most of those are being resolved and the game is actually quite good. Graphics are good for a PS3 open world game. The plot lines seem good so far. I would encourage people to spend some time with the game before making a judgement on their own. The now free upgrade to the PS4 version next year is just another plus. Expand
  101. Oct 15, 2013

1. Hyper Magazine
    Dec 28, 2013
    Full of enough adventure, daring-do and chocobos to make any MMO fan happy. [Jan 2014, p.72]
  2. Nov 13, 2013
    A Realm Reborn is such a substantial change from the original game that it merits a second look if you hated the first release. So much has changed for the better, and it has resulted in one of the most polished MMORPGs out there today.
  3. Nov 6, 2013
    The completionist in me is nearly overwhelmed with the sheer amount of things to do in A Realm Reborn. Square Enix really do deserve praise for not only fixing the issues of the original game, but far exceeding their goal.