Firefall PC

6.7

1. Aug 3, 2014
    I was tantalized to try out the beta of Firefall a year ago, I loved what I saw, and could only hope for what was coming. I thought the game had spectacular vision and charm--and, like coffee, beer, and Star Trek, would inevitably be an acquired taste, something some people would love up front while others would have to endure before they could appreciate it.

The vision of Firefall as

The vision of Firefall as it was during development, became something else at launch. It *was* a classic PvP game like Tribes, with instanced balanced PvP gameplay of the e-sports variety, but apparently the execution of e-sports was so deliberate and premature that the testers began to hate it and began demanding only the open world PvE experience of an MMORPG. As Red 5 added more open world content, players took time out to explore it, and PvP instances couldn't even launch. So they threw out balanced PvP instances altogether. Thus the game became a different beast altogether.

In the end Firefall has become a game that doesn't really do anything *well*. It does a lot, a heck of a lot, just fine, with decent graphics and sound. But while there are PvP features in the game (duels and open world PvP in designated places) this isn't a PvP game, and it's also not an RPG, and it's sort of an FPS but the AI system couldn't handle the scale of many players so, at launch, a lot of interesting content was thrown out just like PvP was thrown out a year prior to launch. The notions of thumpers and tiki torches and Chosen put the game on the right track--really great ideas to build on and replicate--but new ideas seemed to have frozen to a halt some time prior to launch. The world is massive, but there's not much going on in it. In the end you have an okay game, extremely stable on the client, quite playable in its mechanics, but quite mediocre in its creativity and content. I cannot recommend this game until they add a LOT more campaign missions, dramatically soup up operations (AI servers etc) to restore the experience I enjoyed on the test servers during development, and turn PvP back on while finding a PvP matchmaking strategy that brings players together once again. Until then, this game is a tragic premature birth.
  2. Aug 1, 2014
    I started playing Firefall about a year and a half ago when it was still in its closed beta phase. I loved it so much I bought the $100 Founder's Pack. I played it daily for about 6 months, even after my friends had all moved on. I recently came back when I started seeing news and advertisements heralding the official launch. The game I found when I logged in last week is mostlyI started playing Firefall about a year and a half ago when it was still in its closed beta phase. I loved it so much I bought the $100 Founder's Pack. I played it daily for about 6 months, even after my friends had all moved on. I recently came back when I started seeing news and advertisements heralding the official launch. The game I found when I logged in last week is mostly unrecognizable.

PVP
    Gone is the instanced PVP I enjoyed so much during the closed beta, even the much hyped Jetball mode. This was very sad for me. Instead, they've included an open-world PVP zone. I was at first excited by this because I enjoyed the WvW and AvA game modes in Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online. What I found in Firefall though was an almost completely empty zone. Nobody responded to me in team chat and I only once saw a teammate. In about an hour of play I only found 2 enemies and despote having a max-level character with epic quality gear, I couldn't even dent them.

PVE
    The playable area has more than doubled since I had last played, which was right after the introduction of the melding pockets. This sounds great, but the big caveat is that they have added levels to the game and now the entire zone I used to play in is pointless for me to visit on my max level battleframe. This essentially means you will only ever have one zone to play in that is appropriate for your level. The game used to proudly proclaim that you could access any content on day one and you might even survive if you were skilled. That's pretty much gone. The ARES missions and thumping are fun as always though. I haven't tried the new job board "quests" but have heard in chat they get repetitive quickly.

PROGRESSION
    The game used to have no levels and instead your progression came from increasing the power, mass and CPU ratings of a particular battleframe. The then CEO even made a comment that it wasn't intended that everyone would even get a battleframe fully maxed out. Getting your frame to max level took an huge amount of resources and crystite (in-game currency). The XP just kind of came naturally from playing. I felt like it was a huge achievement when I finally got max power, mass & CPU on my Tigerclaw and was finally able to equip some really good crafted items. The new progression system is a very standard xp grind for levels. It's a fairly trivial thing compared to the effort that went in under the old system.

F2P MODEL
    This is one area where I have nothing but praise for Red5. The things you can buy with in-game currency are almost completely cosmetic (battleframe paints, hats, mustaches, hair, etc.). The only thing offered in the cash shop that most players will feel they "need" is the motorcycle and there is a way to get one in-game if you're willing to wait. They also have included a way to buy the cash shop currency from other players with in-game currency which is a model that worked really well in Guild Wars 2 and will probably do well here as well. There is not gating of content or pay 2 win via the cash and that's a win in my book.

CONCLUSION
    Firefall is an enjoyable game and has a lot to offer compared to other F2P games I've played. It's definitely worth the download if you've never checked it out. BUT, it's no longer the game I fell in love with back in the closed beta. Gone is the go where you want, do what you want, no quest, who cares about XP experience. Instead it offers the all-too-familiar MMO XP leveling grind and I just don't need another game like that. I probably won't be back unless/until they bring back instanced PVP where I can at least get consistent player vs player action for 10-15 minutes at a stretch.
  3. Aug 3, 2014
    Firefall is something of a conundrum. Expect a FPS and you'll come out deceived. Expect and MMORPG and you'll come out deceived. Both elements lack the depth of true games of that genre. As it's a shooter quests you know quests are going to be along the lines of "kill X of this or Y of that". This game has every element to be absolutely meh.

And yet, somehow, it has appeal. It's fairly

And yet, somehow, it has appeal. It's fairly innovative and gear and crafting especially works pretty well. Quests are repetitive but its storyline set-up is fun and there's stuff to do everywhere. You have your quests, there's public quests and there's gathering resources, which works even when helping others. And so you glide (yes, there's gliding, jumping and such) from quest hub to quest hub clocking hour after hour.

Yeah, the AI is weak. The UI is kind of sluggish, the economy hasn't gotten under way and there's many more things. As I said, this game has everything to be absolutely mediocre...

and yet.... it's fun. I'm not sure how long it'll be fun, but for now that's what it is. Fun.
  4. Aug 1, 2014
    Im a huge tribes fan so this game is right up my alley. I enjoy mmos and I also like borderlands. So to me this is almost everything I could ask for in a game. Sometimes it can be buggy but overall a well put together game and its f2p.
  5. Aug 8, 2014
    Very Solid MMO Shooter Game Free To Play and absolute NO Pay to Win.

and pls. do like 2-3 hours per day before you review it negative
  6. Jul 31, 2014
    Ive been following and playing FireFall for 3 years now. Ive seen both company, game and community grow over this time. Being a World of Warcraft player since 2004, I have never found a mmo that could keep me hooked long enough, Ive finally found that game ive always wanted to play.

FireFall is possibly the best and most polished free to play games on the market at the moment. The game promises future content backed by a truly dedicated and passionate company we know as Red 5 Studios.

I recommend FireFall to any passionate gamer to try the game out, after all it is free....
  7. Jul 29, 2014
    Firefall's finally launched, and it was worth the wait. Red 5 studios has completely remade the game that was known for it's 'eternal' beta, and now has a real gem: It has the progression and content flow of an MMO, but the fun moment-to-moment gameplay of a shooter. I'm having a blast. Only question on my mind is: which battleframe (character class) to level up next?
  8. Jul 29, 2014
    I've been following FF since it was first available in beta and while there were some weird design choices along the way, I feel they finally got their act together in the end and put together a fun, entertaining shooter.

I took off 2 points because some of the missions were just not well thought out and require excessive travel. One mission in particular has you travel out a kilometer just to speak with an NPC that asks you to travel all the way back to where you started to speak with another npc...
  9. Aug 2, 2014
    I have been having a blast playing this, I got so sidetracked interacting with other players and the environment that I forgot all about the mission I was on for 2hours, but I helped out 6 different groups of people which was pretty satisfying. Looking forward to playing more.
  10. EMG
    Jul 29, 2014
    Very fun and fast paced FPS MMO. It had a rocky development but as it stands now, it is worth the time. Being a F2P you should at least give it a try. Beautiful map, fluid gun play and an interesting story. The ability to use boosters and gliders appeal to tribes fans while the shooting is similar to Borderlands. Overall a fun experience.
  11. Jul 29, 2014
    I have been playing this game since early access started 2 weeks ago and I have thoroughly enjoyed this game. It plays very smoothly on my laptop and the jumpjets give an incredibly amount of depth and truly make the game a 3 dimensional world.

I have enjoyed every part of this game. It brings the skill of a standard FPS, wraps it in the progression of an MMORPG and tops it off with a great fully voiced storyline with memorable characters. Additionally it sports a well done free to play model where all items are available to a person who does not pay.

I would definitely recommend trying this game out and hope you like it enough to throw some money at the Red 5 so they can continue developing this enjoyable game.
  12. Jul 30, 2014
    Their leveling system sucks for a shooter. The PvP is terrible. The quests are boring and repetitive fetch, kill, and escort. The high level crafting takes AGES to unlock, and forever to gather the materials to make high quality high level gear. The graphics are pretty amazing. Travel (once you pay for it) is pretty cool; you get gliders and motorcycles to ride around the open zones with.Their leveling system sucks for a shooter. The PvP is terrible. The quests are boring and repetitive fetch, kill, and escort. The high level crafting takes AGES to unlock, and forever to gather the materials to make high quality high level gear. The graphics are pretty amazing. Travel (once you pay for it) is pretty cool; you get gliders and motorcycles to ride around the open zones with.

Level system sucks: It's hard to play with your friends (especially if you're the lower leveled one) because they're off grinding away at higher level content that your just unable to participate in, and even if you did you don't get rewarded for it because it's too high level. Typical MMO "grind to max level so you can start playing the game" crap; typical Free 2 Play "We're going to make this take way longer than it should and prevent you from using your actual shooter skill to skip content so we can sell you xp boosters."

The PvP is TERRIBLE! I went in as a level 30 to the PvP zone and met up with another player (lvl 40) that was on my "team". There weren't very many people in the PvP zone and we wanted to see how much damage the "bike with guns" would do to him, so we dueled. The game kicked me off the bike and wouldn't let me back on... fine no bikes in duels. The other player wanted to know how much damage I could do to him so he stood still while I shot him in the head. Nothing but straight headshots and he could out regenerate all my damage. Level and gear completely outweigh skill; which is horrible for a shooter. Your skill will only come into play if you are the same level and close to the same gear rating.

The crafting is designed to sell you resource boosters and you can pay to skip the long wait time (days in some cases) between clicking craft and getting your item.

The player to player economy is doomed for failure as there are infinite resources, your gear never needs to be replaced, and there is a finite player base. It doesn't take an economical genius to figure out that the market will be saturated in short order.

The graphics are great! After you pay to get an LGV (motorcycle thingy) and a glider pad, traveling around the zones is some of the most fun I've had getting from boring kill quest to boring fetch quest in a video game. The storyline instances are pretty fun, but they're gated by forcing you to hit certain levels to play them.

Overall, the game is too much of a grind fest, the quests are too repetitive, and FPS skill means very little. It doesn't feel rewarding, it just feels tedious.

I'm giving it 2 for the world travel and graphics and 2 for the storyline instances.
  13. Sep 10, 2014
    Let's never underestimate MMOs released post-WoW. Sure there are triple-A greats here and there, but indie, F2P, and/or foreign sleepers abound. One of them is Firefall. Don't be swayed away by people complaining about the grind. It's a fun grind! Shooting things in first or third person really takes away a lot of the annoyance of tab-target combat. It's fun, frantic, and fast withLet's never underestimate MMOs released post-WoW. Sure there are triple-A greats here and there, but indie, F2P, and/or foreign sleepers abound. One of them is Firefall. Don't be swayed away by people complaining about the grind. It's a fun grind! Shooting things in first or third person really takes away a lot of the annoyance of tab-target combat. It's fun, frantic, and fast with Firefall. Gorgeous graphics wrap good gameplay up nicely. Look forward to big pitched firefights against aliens, space terrorists, and mutated Earth fauna, jetpacking your way through the zing of bullets and lasers, assembling cool tech yourself. All this for free! Expand
  14. Jul 8, 2015
    I agree with the other critics: Nothing to keep me playing. No end game, lack of meaningful content. The game had tremendous potential, it just never happened.
  15. Sep 11, 2015
    resuming 2.0 is all of you can't wanna see on the game, recoil, MORE NERFS, useless weapons and abilities, pay to win with lock boxes, grindfest, 100% accuracy on npcs, infinite and fast spawn of npcs on the mission placed, and the most stupid
    a writer of reality shows writes for this sci fi title, you can imagine the **** is that...
    really Firefall RIP since R5 started with the NERFS on
    really Firefall RIP since R5 started with the NERFS on the release.
  16. Sep 29, 2015
    October 2nd, 2015 is coming and we will again have another moment where desperately the Red5 developers (this time Chris Whiteside) try in vain to say that the changes, making it clear here, hated change by most players, will be the new magic solution to save the game that already has been lost over the years of failures and mistakes, when in fact this version previously called 2.0 thisOctober 2nd, 2015 is coming and we will again have another moment where desperately the Red5 developers (this time Chris Whiteside) try in vain to say that the changes, making it clear here, hated change by most players, will be the new magic solution to save the game that already has been lost over the years of failures and mistakes, when in fact this version previously called 2.0 this further game that fans loved, more repetitive, totally unbalanced and tedious the old scifi shooter arcade become If one coverfall where all mobility was destroyed, where again extreme nerfs ruined old great weapons and abilities, where half of the lvl 25 route (the game will go to lvl 50) the player already completely bored and decided to leave the game not only for huge tedious grind, but also by the enormous expenditure of time and money on repairs for damage sustained at all times and the deaths, where the NPCs as well as infinite and polls spawns have 100% accuracy and an enormous damage rate, while the players are weak and have an absurdly unrealistic recoil, and useless totlamente skills, in short it's like all the fun was forbidden, where every mission (AresJOBS) are in the same places with the same or very similar Objetives, there is more freedom in the game, there is no more experança a day Red5 take the right path that version 2.0 came to kill the firefall from time after five years, this could be the worst change has already suffered the most damaging to the players, and that will be the fastest fail.

Rip Firefall Sad day when we see 2.0 on PTS
  17. Jan 4, 2015
    In the contrary to the critic review, I feel that this game is pretty good. Unlike other MMOs or MOBAs , Firefall offer a unique gameplay. For the new users, I highly recommend to start by grouping with other players not by soloing. Group activities are a lot of fun and better than soloing
  18. Jun 1, 2015
    this game is really good because you can play singleplayer or multiplayer and there is a storyline that you can follow, best game ever. you must download this game because its free on steam!
  19. Sep 6, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Firefall was an interesting game for the OBT, after release the massive nerfs on players destroyed the fun on game, but the game don't died, survived with a small group of players waiting for changes, but now COWBOY ruined completely the game in version 2.0 extreme NERFS on battleframes and abilities, ridiculous boring and weak weapons, a no sense and expensive upgrade system with a tedious grind for modules, some ARES are changed to a ridiculous infinite giant spawn of enemies
    all bugs changed to "snipers" with extreme high damage and range, tedious leveling system make player boring fast, some old great classes Bastions, DragonFlyes are now a great crap, ridiculous extreme high recoil add on weapons on game and that ruined the combat for players because npcs have 100% accuracy, really sad see how firefall is doomed to fail when 2.0 coming.
  20. Sep 14, 2014
    After playing for around two years, very heavily at first, then only off and on when it was clear the devs were not listening. But after going back and playing the last to weeks I cant help but feel as though this game is the absolute shining example of squandered opportunity. It sad really, it had so much potential, you can see it everywhere you look in and at the game. But at the end ofAfter playing for around two years, very heavily at first, then only off and on when it was clear the devs were not listening. But after going back and playing the last to weeks I cant help but feel as though this game is the absolute shining example of squandered opportunity. It sad really, it had so much potential, you can see it everywhere you look in and at the game. But at the end of the day, you find yourself struggling to find a reason to stick around especially when you start the crafting gear grind.
    It is unique you have to give it that, and is worth a look just for that alone. But it falls short pretty much everywhere, something you see after a month or two.
  21. Aug 18, 2014
    I played bunch of MMOs, most were boring or I couldn't have fun without spending real money for boosters, revivals everything was so restricted. FireFall offers open and wide world without a need of paying anything, you can unlock everything by progressing in game.
  22. Aug 6, 2014
    First things first; This game deserve none of the 10's or 0's. It is neither perfect (nothing is) nor terrible as some may lead you to believe.

The world of Firefall is beautiful. But at the same time, it feels empty. Over time, I only hope they'll add more event types, and distribute them around. Story is OK-ish, sounds are fine, gunplay is enjoyable. But the real problem I have with this game is, the identity crisis it is going through.

It wants to be a shooter. Then it wants to have RP elements. Over the beta phases, it has changed drastically, and I don't believe they have tested all of these changes properly. Many of the depth has been removed from the game, and now what we have is a shooter with a very shallow progression system. I wish they kept some of the complexity rather than trying to streamline everything.

Overall, I enjoy the game, but sometimes it feels like a chore. But as a F2P title, you should at least give it a chance.

(over 100, Graphics: 85, Sound: 60, Music: 70, Gameplay: 60, Progression: 30, Story/World: 50)
  23. Aug 8, 2014
    It's an awesome shooter-MMO. The Battleframes rock, and the gameplay is smooth and I enjoy it.
    Used to be addicted to playing Tribes, so all the jetpack craziness also helped me connect with this game.
  24. Aug 8, 2014
    It's been said before: FireFall is unlike any MMO out there. It's an awesome cel-shaded FPS that is light on the quests - don't expect the same old hunt-for-animals trivialities. It's an enjoyable game that offers plenty of new mechanics and elements like thumping, melding, and the social interaction. Try it, it's not an F2W. :)
  25. Aug 6, 2014
    Firefall got me by my heartstrings by harkening heavily from GITSAC and Appleseed influences. From the armor design, to the weapons and weapon effects, the SFX too, it immerses you nicely into an invaded futuristic Earth.
  26. Aug 14, 2014
    In agreement with the MMORPG.com review, I would say that this is the penultimate online multiplayer game for people who love their MMORPGs and FPSs alike. It's a good mix between dazzling landmass exploration and tense and frenetic shootemups with aliens, bandits, and pretty much all the fauna of the invaded Earth. It is one game that you should not dismiss early because of a rocky mediaIn agreement with the MMORPG.com review, I would say that this is the penultimate online multiplayer game for people who love their MMORPGs and FPSs alike. It's a good mix between dazzling landmass exploration and tense and frenetic shootemups with aliens, bandits, and pretty much all the fauna of the invaded Earth. It is one game that you should not dismiss early because of a rocky media coverage (and actual run) of pre-launch development. It's paid its dues, and the devs have learned; it's like if D3: Reaper Of Souls came out without the vanilla D3. Go play, and glide the skies with splendor. Expand
  27. Aug 7, 2014
    First thing I love about FireFall is the gameplay (gun-play, more like it); secondly, its awesomely smooth graphics. I don't have complaints, I love it. Also, I'm a diehard Unreal Tournament fan, so there.
  28. Aug 8, 2014
    Very polished (and well-manned, devs are formerly from Blizzard) somewhat-MMO FPS/TPS. It brings a fresh persistent-world shooter experience that's burritoed all together with exotic locales, a good class/role system, and somewhat different takes on crafting. The exhilarating experience of gliding around the map is a super bonus.
  29. Aug 10, 2014
    I've had nothing but fun with Firefall, since it was just a small game with a little bit of PvP, to the expansive world we have now. The dev team has been so awesome, always chatting and communicating with players, and that is so rare these days!

There are definitely things that need work in this game. Since the game was pushed to launch likely do to investors breathing down their neck, there is a lot of room for addition. But since launch, key systems have been made and the ability to add content rapidly has been given to Red 5. So in the long run, we should see a remarkable game, full of potential, and stories to give to to other players.
  30. Aug 9, 2014
    This game's weird. That means FUN. MMOFPS in it's truest (I remember Planetside, but...), THIS is the heir to the throne of TRIBES! It's alot of what I expected from an idea like this, lots of midair shooting (Bombing Run Achievement is awesome cred), jetpack strafing, high-tech weaponry and skills, aliens everywhere (it's got a lot of variety in fauna). Best of all is the sprawling openThis game's weird. That means FUN. MMOFPS in it's truest (I remember Planetside, but...), THIS is the heir to the throne of TRIBES! It's alot of what I expected from an idea like this, lots of midair shooting (Bombing Run Achievement is awesome cred), jetpack strafing, high-tech weaponry and skills, aliens everywhere (it's got a lot of variety in fauna). Best of all is the sprawling open world, it's a lot of ground to cover, and we're just in Brazil now. I love the mountains, climbing up towering buildings then gliding down in style. This is TRIBES 2014. Expand
  31. Aug 5, 2014
    So, I have been playing this game for about a year now off and on and it has gone through many versions. In the past month or so the world and it's content has expanded and everything has become very polished, but I can tell they and tweaking things here and there from night to night and I'm sure a patch is right around the corner.

*Quest: the beginning town quest(Level 1-20) are

*Quest: the beginning town quest(Level 1-20) are repetitive, but the quest you find around the zones are very cool and the story/group quest are very fun and repeatable with a party or you can solo them. There is even a "Hardcore" mode.
    *Leveling: You level your frame, not yourself, so ever new frame is a new grind, but after you get a bike it's not that bad.
    *Mounts: Options are very limited. You have gliders, bikes, they just added these jeeps(?), and they have transports that run between the Quest hubs. Gliders are easy to come by, Bikes you can either buy or you and quest one at 25 or wait until level 40. I know nothing on the Jeep as it is new, but it looks like it can transport a party.
    *Area's/Zones: The Beginning area is very repetitive, but once you reach 25 and move out of the newb area the missions become more diverse and much more time consuming and in some cases only one person per zone can do the mission your on.
    *Somethings could better be explained to you, but zone chat will normally get you the answer to your question.
    *Finally, I have played a ton of MMO's and FPS's and I'm really digging this.. It's fun... I haven't seen how they are going to do Guilds or handle Raids(or if there are Raids)... I have 3 toons in the 20's(Max level is 40 currently)...

The game is free, fun, and ALL it'll cost you to try is the bandwidth to download it(It's a big game)...
  32. Aug 9, 2014
    FireFall is one of the few games that I have for Steam, especially for MMO's. It's got the familiar feel of Tribes from way back, as well as being unique in how you can enjoy it with friends / other people. Aside from that, I'm a real sucker for the Battleframes. :)
  33. Aug 10, 2014
    I'm not very sure why the low score but so far... it seems good. The graphics are pretty amazing. Traveling around is very cool. Gliders and motorcycles FTW! It's very fun. I love the gameplay. It's like borderlands but with more people. It's nice to know the changes as well compared to what it is back then.

If you liked Tribes back then, then you will love Firefall. I just hope that

If you liked Tribes back then, then you will love Firefall.

I just hope that PVP can be better.

34. Aug 14, 2014
    Far from last year's release, what FireFall has achieved in terms of redesigning a lot of elements, is a very fun MMO altogether. I can quickly recommend this now to my friends (use the Referral program), especially since playing this with friends adds to the overall enjoyment. I'm hooked and I love the Dreadnaught.
  35. Nov 30, 2014
    It would be a decent product for what you pay, but there are plenty of good F2P games to spend time on.

The gunplay is nice... inspired by Tribes, and dumbed down. The MMO aspects severely lack.

Give it a shot, then delete it and move on. Investing time or money in it will just disappoint. Its a failure of a game... and one they're desperately trying to monetize.
  36. Sep 4, 2014
    The most fun I have had playing a video game in quite some time. Gorgeous open world to explore. The option to level through questing or encountering random world events. Great selection of classes and abilities. The vehicles and hang gliding is wonderful. I really can't say enough good things about it.

Coming from a gamer who plays tons of PvP game the PvE in this game is a nice

Coming from a gamer who plays tons of PvP game the PvE in this game is a nice change. Instead of having some dude ganking me everywhere I go, I run into strangers all the time and we all help each other. It's fun and hilarious at times. Take a bow dev team. Bravo.
  37. Sep 7, 2014
    I love that this particular MMO isn't too dependent on having to purchase items to move forward in the game. The sci-fi feel is also its big appeal for me.
  38. Sep 13, 2014
    Very satisfied with Red 5 studio's goal. F2P What more can you ask? Huge map, huge story and huge guns. Download it, play it. Maybe you get to see my huge Dreadnaught ;p
  39. Sep 6, 2014
    The battleframes system is what I like the best here. I can change the way I play my character anytime I want and I'm not restricted to stick to 1. The loot is very rewarding. Of course, a few level of difference in the loot won't be noticeable. But when you get a really good one... you feel the hard hit of your bullets to the enemy.

The setting has a lot of colors and looks really

The setting has a lot of colors and looks really gorgeous. This is Borderlands with mmo infused in it.

A must play.
  40. Aug 23, 2014
    It's a good treat for sci-fi shooter enthusiasts; aliens, lasers, splosions, jetpacks, high-tech vehicles, and more. Great visuals (a lil too heavy on the lens flares on higher settings), nice ways to traverse the beautiful open-world, and all-in-all a good PvE experience. PvP is not that existent yet, I think, which for me was a plus, didn't want anyone interrupting my operatic spaceIt's a good treat for sci-fi shooter enthusiasts; aliens, lasers, splosions, jetpacks, high-tech vehicles, and more. Great visuals (a lil too heavy on the lens flares on higher settings), nice ways to traverse the beautiful open-world, and all-in-all a good PvE experience. PvP is not that existent yet, I think, which for me was a plus, didn't want anyone interrupting my operatic space exploration. Item store content is a bit too tacky for my taste, but it's great in a sense that it's not P2W. Great game for a small effort and cashout. Expand
  41. Aug 27, 2014
    Firefall is worth giving a chance. What I like most about this game is that players work together; you might be running a random mission when other players passing by stop to help out and reap part of the rewards. The system is set up to encourage cooperation rather than competition - it doesn't have that culture in which you're obsessively trying to whore epic loot at the expense ofFirefall is worth giving a chance. What I like most about this game is that players work together; you might be running a random mission when other players passing by stop to help out and reap part of the rewards. The system is set up to encourage cooperation rather than competition - it doesn't have that culture in which you're obsessively trying to whore epic loot at the expense of others. At first I found the character graphics a bit dull, as they are somewhat in the style of Borderlands; however, the environmental detail and world are great. Overall a fun and fresh game that has me invested in seeing what's next. Expand
  42. Sep 9, 2014
    Just this week was a slew of new updates, plus a big one on the 12th. It was kinda a rocky launch but the devs are putting up face to complete their promises bit by bit. I like that. Add the continuous dev support to an already okay game, and you get a good game. Some notes: It's PvE centric, so PvP addicts beware. The PvE gameplay is great though, and is an excitingly explodey shooterJust this week was a slew of new updates, plus a big one on the 12th. It was kinda a rocky launch but the devs are putting up face to complete their promises bit by bit. I like that. Add the continuous dev support to an already okay game, and you get a good game. Some notes: It's PvE centric, so PvP addicts beware. The PvE gameplay is great though, and is an excitingly explodey shooter experience. People will tell it's got loads of traveling to the point of boring. Honestly, it's probably just bored people speaking of how bored they are. The ways of travel are great, and complement the bouts of action really well as interludes. It's a pretty scape, and there's awe-inspiring group bosses that threaten the world. Good solid experience all in all. Expand
  43. Sep 9, 2014
    I like that it is on the PC!!! Free to play is definitely where i want to stay, I would rather spend my time and my money on a live service and not have to pay 60 bux each year for something similar.
  44. Sep 9, 2014
    Firefall is a free to play game with no pay to win scheme. The graphics looks fantastic, but the game still has bugs and glitches. controlling your charter is smooth and responsive except when you melee.
  45. Sep 16, 2014
    I finished all the story missions. I've got 3 maxed characters that I'm happy with. What now? Do I want to spend hours grinding at the same missions over and over again to earn the crystite and research points I lost to a confusing crafting system? Not really. And it made me think, even if they had reset my research points, do I want to grind the same missions over and over again to earnI finished all the story missions. I've got 3 maxed characters that I'm happy with. What now? Do I want to spend hours grinding at the same missions over and over again to earn the crystite and research points I lost to a confusing crafting system? Not really. And it made me think, even if they had reset my research points, do I want to grind the same missions over and over again to earn the stuff I need to actually craft anything? Not really.

I fell in love with Firefall in beta, but it's like a bad relationship where you just stick around because you know how awesome it COULD be, but it's just not there. I don't know if FireFall will ever get there, and I don't think I care to stick around to find out anymore.
  46. Aug 8, 2014
    I loved Tribes Ascend, I liked Borderlands. Combine those 2 awesome and epic games, and we got Firefall. Haven't tried the game in Beta but right now, the changes that the dev made is what made me look back and try this game again.

47. Aug 7, 2014
    when I heard this game was finally going live i decided to give it a shot.

its a lot of fun! i honestly didnt expect or plan to make this my main game. but its kinda like unreal meets borderlands online. killing bugs is great, i dig the weapons. the lore is really good. they even have a manga written by orson scott card, same guy that wrote enders game. its really good. the
    when I heard this game was finally going live i decided to give it a shot.

the graphics look really great, especially if you crank up all the effects. motion blur adds a lot to this game if you can sustain high fps. apparently its the project offset engine.

if you want a great shooter thats kinda like borderlands with a touch of unreal, then firefall is totally your game.

i highly reccomend it, havent smiled this much playing a game in a while.
  48. Aug 9, 2014
    If you are sick and tired of the same old MMO's, then this game is a MUST try: Easy to follow quests (all of these are voiced), amazing music and graphics, unique "class" system and most importantly - GUNS! Don't listen to these disgruntled Beta-testers. Yes, this game had a rough development cycle, and no, I haven't played the old Beta, but the finished product is simply awesome. Is itIf you are sick and tired of the same old MMO's, then this game is a MUST try: Easy to follow quests (all of these are voiced), amazing music and graphics, unique "class" system and most importantly - GUNS! Don't listen to these disgruntled Beta-testers. Yes, this game had a rough development cycle, and no, I haven't played the old Beta, but the finished product is simply awesome. Is it perfect? No. Is it still worth playing? Hell Yes! And lastly, it's free; so instead of judging the game from these reviews, go ahead and give it a try. Expand
  49. Jul 31, 2014
    I've been off and on this game for 3 years, It's been through quite a bit, many changes at least but finally the game is released, we have direction, where as before you didn't know what to do or where to go, yeah it's got it's bugs like every other game but that's to be expected the game is just starting for the team, escorts can be a pain.

PvP is alright, but it's bugged out though in

PvP is alright, but it's bugged out though in some cases, but since release I've noticed some up spikes people entering in PvP - Use boing if you want to know how many people are on the server.

You don't just HAVE to do quests, you can do ares missions, events like tornado, or Incursion event, so if it comes to people reviewing the system only saying there's "quests" please don't take too much of it, there's enough to do in the world to level.

Crafting: You don't have to craft; there's items you can get from loot that are just as good if you ain't into crafting it's just an option.

People only spend like 5 minutes on the game and review it on from there being "lame" if you really want to try out the game at least give it a good 2-3hours - you don't just have to do the quests.
  50. Aug 6, 2014
    Here's my short review: Firefall is fun and addictive, and it doesn't **** on you with a pay-to-win scheme. Instead, it offers unique gameplay options should you decide to buy one of the cash battleframes. It offers a solid PvE experience with lots of missions ranging from capture the flag types, territory control, escort, and plain old seek and destroy. Even mining resources in this gameHere's my short review: Firefall is fun and addictive, and it doesn't **** on you with a pay-to-win scheme. Instead, it offers unique gameplay options should you decide to buy one of the cash battleframes. It offers a solid PvE experience with lots of missions ranging from capture the flag types, territory control, escort, and plain old seek and destroy. Even mining resources in this game is fun when you attempt to defend the Thumpers used to extract ore from the ground.

Travel around the post-apocalyptic, no - post-invasion is more like it, Brazil in all its (remaining) glory, because the action is wrapped around a cool sci-fi alien invasion where the opposing force is unpredictable in where they can strike, and their territory is inexplicably and slowly and surely encroaching what remains of the un-tainted Earth. Great visuals, fun firefighting, varied classes and roles, awesome and cool ways to travel (glider, jetpack, ATV, speedcycle). 9/10 in my book.
  51. Aug 9, 2014
    Enjoyed it, Has some decent gameplay perks. Nothing I've ever seen before in most RPGMMO's! Sadly it has some really buggy features but they're nothing that can't be changed in a future update. The level system is kinda bad, PvP is meh, AI is horrible and some missions/quests can be a real drag due to having very little mobs in the game. Graphics are nice but some of the particle andEnjoyed it, Has some decent gameplay perks. Nothing I've ever seen before in most RPGMMO's! Sadly it has some really buggy features but they're nothing that can't be changed in a future update. The level system is kinda bad, PvP is meh, AI is horrible and some missions/quests can be a real drag due to having very little mobs in the game. Graphics are nice but some of the particle and post-fx are just plain ugly. Transport around the map is very fluid and it's a really good looking map. You can tell its very borderlands inspired.
    6/10 from me for the game having some gameplay elements you can enjoy and very nice art-style, They should of spent some more development time just polishing off the game, but its a good concept to say the least!
  52. Aug 6, 2014
    Firefall is a pretty interesting game, but that wears off very quick. It's simply because of the bland quests and lack of storyline that eventually you have to wonder "what is there to do in the game?" . However, in a strange twist, the game has stunning visuals ( not graphics), ok gameplay , and not many, if any game breaking issues like are found in some other games. Also, this is a MMO,Firefall is a pretty interesting game, but that wears off very quick. It's simply because of the bland quests and lack of storyline that eventually you have to wonder "what is there to do in the game?" . However, in a strange twist, the game has stunning visuals ( not graphics), ok gameplay , and not many, if any game breaking issues like are found in some other games. Also, this is a MMO, not a fps, so don't forget it. Expand
  53. Sep 9, 2014
    It's not perfect, but Red5 have sure got a knack for giving the gamers what they want in a game, a well paced shooter that is engaging and entertaining at the same time. Sure there's the grind to level frames but all MMO's have grinds as well. The frame variations are awesome and well, you cannot go wrong with Jetpacks.
  54. Aug 26, 2014
    Firefall is one of those endearing games that keeps getting better as updates by the developer go by. It's a labour of love, and it shows through the inspired components that you will realize only when you play the game.
  55. Aug 28, 2014
    I have been playing this game since open Beta and I had my hopes and doubts but now I have no doubts. This is the game I wanted. Yes it is true it has bugs and still a lot of content missing. However looking at the period since launch they have changed a lot and they are faster on implementing players feedback more than ever. Just looking at last implemented event I know they know whatI have been playing this game since open Beta and I had my hopes and doubts but now I have no doubts. This is the game I wanted. Yes it is true it has bugs and still a lot of content missing. However looking at the period since launch they have changed a lot and they are faster on implementing players feedback more than ever. Just looking at last implemented event I know they know what they are doing. For new players I would just like to say 1st 20 levels might be a bit overwhelming and not what u might expect but stick around and max at least one frame and then u will see miracles happen. Expand
  56. Aug 28, 2014
    The game is unique and very enjoyable, i've rated it with maximum points, because it deserve to be recognized and tried by more people. I'm sure that there's alot of people out there who haven't heard of the game and surely if they knew about it they'd be hooked on it. I won't go explaining the positive sides of the game because they are alot and it's more fun to go and find out yourself,The game is unique and very enjoyable, i've rated it with maximum points, because it deserve to be recognized and tried by more people. I'm sure that there's alot of people out there who haven't heard of the game and surely if they knew about it they'd be hooked on it. I won't go explaining the positive sides of the game because they are alot and it's more fun to go and find out yourself, but i'll put some words about the negativities so 'perfectionists' don't get disappointed.
    The game is lacking content, but it got officially released like a month ago, and there's already teritories being opened, be patient.
    It's grindy and quests are so repeatable, but there's people who enjoy grindy mmo, i personally love it if it's made enjoyable and it sure is in Firefall and keeps being varied. The quests are repeatable indeed, but there's interesting story going on there i personally did all the quests and can't wait for new teritories to open so i can see how the story continues.
    There's constantly updates with changes in teritories and abilities without much announcing about them. Some are pissed about it (mainly about ability nerfing without announcing it) but it's a neccesary thing...
    Shortly... The game didn't progress that much during the long beta, but it's undenyable that it's progressing and now that it's released they are opening teritories=new content in a faster rate. The game is unique give it a chance if you think it's your cup of tea.
  57. Sep 16, 2014
    Each new patch "fixes" bugs that, in some cases were the only thing keeping the game fun (thunder-bumping? Anyone?) and then takes a huge step backwards by reworking aspects that only needed minor tweaking. The game is an impressive work on the surface, especially considering the F2P model. It feels like R5 really had something going for it w/ the original idea, then too many power hungryEach new patch "fixes" bugs that, in some cases were the only thing keeping the game fun (thunder-bumping? Anyone?) and then takes a huge step backwards by reworking aspects that only needed minor tweaking. The game is an impressive work on the surface, especially considering the F2P model. It feels like R5 really had something going for it w/ the original idea, then too many power hungry people got their grubby hands in too many different aspects of it and the end result is a complete mess. Trying to please too many people at once, including their own investors and employees, rather than sticking to one thing and just doing it well, is what caused this catastrophe. There's no staying power other than the fact that it's the only thing that tries to combine a lot of people's favorite genres besides Borderlands 2 (which had it's own minor problems regarding a lack of replay value). The problem is, it does none of them well... and leaves me, personally, constantly searching for an as yet unavailable alternative. But alternatives will be coming and, unless they get their sh*t together and stop trying to jerk everybody off at the same time, Firefall (and R5) will be quickly forgotten. Expand
  58. Sep 6, 2014
    I was one of the original 5 NCO's for the game. I was threatened by the community manager when I spoke up about the bait and switch feeling many had when they surprised us with durability, item decay, gated content, suddenly discovered technical limitations and that a two years prior The9 bought up the company and dictated the change in direction. Only thing was Red5 was still pushing itI was one of the original 5 NCO's for the game. I was threatened by the community manager when I spoke up about the bait and switch feeling many had when they surprised us with durability, item decay, gated content, suddenly discovered technical limitations and that a two years prior The9 bought up the company and dictated the change in direction. Only thing was Red5 was still pushing it as something they knew they never intended to make.
    Ask around, you will find people who had their accounts deleted, posted edited and threats made by the Community Manager Phobos (who has zero qualifications to manage anything more then his own bowel movements). In 2012 somebody told me that Firefall was to be an inch deep and a mile wide. They were correct. The game today in no way resembled the one they showed us when we were at Red5 Studios other then it still has guns. No in depth community activity in game, no economy based around the Chosen War. In fact the economy is a treadmill of repairing gear and there really is no more Chosen War. Oh, look for the early art for the Melding Gates. Were they created because in 2010 they already knew of the limitations? Good luck getting an honest answer from that.
    The game is now garbage. Steaming pile of rotting garbage awaiting its day to be taken to the dumpster. It isn't a matter of if it closes but when and The9 is working on a console system of their own for China so don't expect any financial support from them.
    The concept was great. They should have known in 2010 what the limitations were but they are not a trustworthy bunch in my opinion so I would doubt any answer they gave.
    They took a decent open world shooter and turned it into a Chinese market Grinder with bits of **** I say **** because it doesn't even do the Shooter aspects worth a damn.
    Look at Glassdoor, google old 2010 articles about what The9 did to the company, see what they did when they removed Grummz (a repeat of 2010), then look at the state of the game and the blanket denial by Red5 that anything is wrong.
    AI is garbage.
    PVP is worth about the same, garbage.
    Economy makes zero sense.
    They don't sell power, they just make you so miserable you are forced to pay for easier access.
    The shooting feels as empty and emotionless as Duck Hunt.
    The missions are extremely repetitive.
    There is no Chosen War or reason for the game existing.
    The random lag spikes are present 4yrs on into the games life.
    Gated content prevents you from playing with others and those the correct level rarely play anymore.
    For having an exo-suit you sure do run slow.
    Bunny hop combat. Not much else to say about that.
    Horrible voice acting, deaf lesbian porn has better acting.
    There is no dynamic world like promised. Instead it has a static world with randomly generated events.
    NPC's are zero help in defending their own towns let alone themselves.
    Terrain exploits.
    Almost no real customization. Hats, stupid, idiotic hats but little else.
    It feels like all the hitboxes are the same size regardless of the frame you are using.
    Two dimensional presentations can still make you feel a sense of distance, just not in this game.
    All the best art work was done by somebody who left the company in 2010.
    They keep blaming a past CEO for decisions The9 made and James agreed to. Now James in in charge but only until they replace him or shut things down.
    I regret the time I put into the game and the times I recommended it to friends.
    It was one of the worst outcomes I have seen from something I was part of so early on. **** in and **** out. They started putting pure **** into the game and the real developers grabbed their **** and got out.
  59. Aug 10, 2014
    I've had good experiences with this game, since I rarely play this alone. Although I did try going solo, and it was still okay, but there's a better sense of accomplishment and the interaction is really fun.
  60. Aug 17, 2014
    Firefall is a nice example of a "sleeper" hit; a game you're bound to pass off as unworthy because of a myriad reasons - be it bad press, a slow start, a rocky development process. You'll be glad you didn't because while it is not the perfect game, it certainly is one that rewards you for not dropping it back into the supermarket shelves. Not that you'd need to purchase anything fromFirefall is a nice example of a "sleeper" hit; a game you're bound to pass off as unworthy because of a myriad reasons - be it bad press, a slow start, a rocky development process. You'll be glad you didn't because while it is not the perfect game, it certainly is one that rewards you for not dropping it back into the supermarket shelves. Not that you'd need to purchase anything from Firefall to enjoy it. Play it for free, and you will not be disappointed. Expand
  61. Aug 18, 2014
    Very Solid MMO Shooter Game Free To Play and absolute NO Pay to Win.

I have been having a blast playing this, I forgot time when i played this game for about 3 days straight so it is awesomely fun

will recommend this to new and beginners of the game
  62. Aug 14, 2014
    Firefall is a dynamic, open-world MMO shooter

Lotsa class/battle frames to choose from! So Large Open World exploration Crafting! Need i say more? Story? Raid on Titans? You know its good when people come back after years of remembering this game, you will never get disappointed all good juju's have been installed, so i dont know whats with the low scores .. try it out for
    Firefall is a dynamic, open-world MMO shooter

Lotsa class/battle frames to choose from!

So Large Open World exploration

Crafting! Need i say more?

Story? Raid on Titans?

You know its good when people come back after years of remembering this game, you will never get disappointed all good juju's have been installed, so i dont know whats with the low scores .. try it out for 2-3 days before reviewing low.
  63. Aug 15, 2014
    "Firefall is a dynamic, open-world MMO shooter and the environment to revolve around is superb and amazingly done, excellent touch R5

5 base battleframes to choose from! DREADS!!! So Large Open World exploration where ganking is called fun Lore vs aliens invading us is greatly done, nice story board Its excellent well crafted, a lot of class R5 separated themselves with the

5 base battleframes to choose from! DREADS!!!

So Large Open World exploration where ganking is called fun

Lore vs aliens invading us is greatly done, nice story board

Its excellent well crafted, a lot of class R5 separated themselves with the other douce Developers on this one, with years of excellence R5 made the return of Firefall a bang! so download it and lets splatter alieny brainy things
  64. Aug 15, 2014
    FireFall's numerous unique gameplay elements make it a very good MMO for me. It's not the typical grindcore and it offers a lot more fun in terms of graphics, resource-management, combat and character seletion / leveling up.It's something unique that I think any MMO player should try, especially if they want a fresh take on the genre.
  65. Aug 18, 2014
    FireFall have delivered many great things since it was first released (closed alpha) and I can only say the game can be insanely fun, unlike other MMOs FireFall feels a little different, it's a game that you can hardly compare to other MMOs, which is good.
  66. Aug 12, 2014
    To be honest i shouldnt buy that motorcycle because this game is terible. gameplay is boring,, questing is boring, everything sucks and boring, only good thing about this game is graphics, even crafting is boring
  67. Aug 10, 2014
    It's been a rocky road to launch for Firefall but it's been well worth the wait, with the ares jobs systems and the dynamic mission out in the world it finally feels like you're in a live open world rather than the bland sandbox many open world games give. The FPS gameplay is easy to get into but hard to master, jumpjets give mobility in combat a huge twist and the abilities give eachIt's been a rocky road to launch for Firefall but it's been well worth the wait, with the ares jobs systems and the dynamic mission out in the world it finally feels like you're in a live open world rather than the bland sandbox many open world games give. The FPS gameplay is easy to get into but hard to master, jumpjets give mobility in combat a huge twist and the abilities give each class archetype it's own flair and playstyle.
    Trying to rush your way into the game is going to give you some issues with some of the more unique systems in place but it sports a mentor program that has dedicated players to answer question you have. There are also armies that you can join up with that will assuredly make the gameplay more lively and (hilariously) chaotic.
    Open world PvP does need some balancing but mostly on 3 (out of the total 16) of the battleframes.
    Overall I'd say this game has vast potential to improve as Red5 Studios has literally dragged this game out of Development Hell into its (MUCH, much more playable) state.
  68. Jul 30, 2014
    In theory it should be a good game. Open world shooter with mechs(or mechish suits, whatever). Unfortunately the game is just tedious to play. Run across the map to kill 6 mobs, just to run across the map and kill 6 more mobs.

It's also full of bugs and horrible AI.

Maybe they should've taken another 2 years to build the game, because the concept is great...but the game is just awful.
  69. Jul 30, 2014
    Very Solid MMO Shooter Game Free To Play and absolute NO Pay to Win. It features all classic Different Classes,MMO leveling,Groups,Raids,Crafting, Market, Perks, Open World PVP, Team play also It improves MMO genre by Vertical jumpjet movement (you can fly shortly with jetpacks in air) design of world and skill based shooter mechanics and easy to learn quest mechanics doesn't require knowVery Solid MMO Shooter Game Free To Play and absolute NO Pay to Win. It features all classic Different Classes,MMO leveling,Groups,Raids,Crafting, Market, Perks, Open World PVP, Team play also It improves MMO genre by Vertical jumpjet movement (you can fly shortly with jetpacks in air) design of world and skill based shooter mechanics and easy to learn quest mechanics doesn't require know foreign language.

Cons?
    -When servers crowded It feels crowded than it should be but this is launch week and every MMO I played goes to stable after launch week.
    -Class balance and arena kind of game play should be implemented in future

Verdict: Very Good FreeToPlay game overall you must try
  70. Aug 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Firefall is a boring mmo with a weak engine and lots of bugs, repetitive missions (some dont working) make players quit on 2,3 days only, unbalanced pve make some classes weak , and ridiculous system to convert cy on cr to use on Market show how blind are the developers players dont have Money to sell item ( Market need a small price to sell one item) this make impossible sell junks on 1cr you need pay 1 cr to put item on Market and 1 cr when sell this show how ridiculous are the Market system , craft is unseles and need a extreme hard grind to make anything, bikes are nerfed to force players spend Money to buy mgv, and some classes are useless with extreme high colldown for a weak and useless power Expand
  71. Aug 1, 2014
    I really wanted to like this game, as I've put a ton of hours into it over the last couple years. The first hurdle you have to get over is the lack of introduction to the class system; you start out as one of the basic classes, but it doesn't even pretend to introduce the concept of the advanced classes to you. Now, the important thing here is that I wanted to play one of the advancedI really wanted to like this game, as I've put a ton of hours into it over the last couple years. The first hurdle you have to get over is the lack of introduction to the class system; you start out as one of the basic classes, but it doesn't even pretend to introduce the concept of the advanced classes to you. Now, the important thing here is that I wanted to play one of the advanced classes as my main class, so I have the option of paying $15 to unlock it or playing one of the basic classes up to max level to unlock an advanced class. I get that the devs need to make money, too, but telling me I either have to pay $15 or spend hours leveling a class, only so that I can start leveling the actual class I want to play is very poor design.

I started playing again at release and I just can't bring myself to play for more than a couple hours at a time. On top of all of the annoyances of the class system, the quest system is back to square one as far as MMOs are concerned. Every quest is 'go here, kill 5-10 dudes, go here and kill 5-10 dudes, go here and kill 5-10 dudes, turn quest in.' In the age of quest systems such as GW2's, this is unacceptable. On top of all of this, the AI is the worst AI I have ever seen in a shooter; to make up for this, the mobs hit very hard and spawn in ridiculous groups that will instagib you.

Honestly, I would recommend that everyone avoid this game like the plague. I just feel sorry for the poor souls who gave these devs money.
  72. Aug 7, 2014
    A titanfall ripoff. It's below average. All mechanics are bad, a bad story. The only good thing is the servers. Play Titanfall instead. Final verdict: Don't play it.
  73. Aug 13, 2014
    This is just fun. Played Tribes before and Borderlands and this game feels like they combined the best things in both games.

There's a learning curve of course. PVP will need some improvement. Questing is remarkable and fun.

The best of all, the graphics is AMAZING. If you're looking for a beautiful game, this is it.
  74. Sep 6, 2014
    Best SCI-FI MMO RPG with FPS combat and Borderlands-style graphics. So many elements that integrate into a busy PvE game - you may want to look at PvP someplace else, but all the other stuff in the game is top-notch. Kudos to the developers for staying and fighting with this gem of a game all throughout.
  75. Aug 21, 2014
    Okay, first of all, a good bit of negative reviews you will inevitably see for this game are from bitter beta players. This game had a 2+year beta period, and it changed direction so many times in that timeframe that just about nobody got the exact snippet of that beta they wanted to become the full game.

The game is actually one of the more pleasant MMO games out there, the grind is

The game is actually one of the more pleasant MMO games out there, the grind is short, probably won't even take you 4 days to max a class playing fairly casually, the mechanics are a bit fresh, and it manages a decent blend of shooter and hotbar MMO, with the emphasis largely being on shooter with just a few skills with long cooldowns. As of the most recent patch content in this game is up 3 or 4 fold from its release levels, there isn't more unique content, there's just now more content in the game to play. There however, is plenty of content for a game that has just released, and more to come.

This is a game I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys shooters, or shooters and MMOs, but probably not to the classic MMO fan. It's free, and there's no pay to win, so if you're looking for something to try, give it a shot.
  76. Jan 21, 2015
    Completely devoid of any challenge in any way shape or form. Exceedingly grindy standard mmo repetitive questing crap.

The only reason it doesn't have a zero, is the somewhat random events that happen in the field (Think of random crap from Red dead Redemption that you found everywhere but with much less variety)
  77. Aug 31, 2014
    i played this game since its beta, the only regret i have it just that i didn't continue playing it till launch. it has so much PvE content that i don't care about pvp. yes it did changed a lot from beta to launch but still it got so much better in content that the lack of character progression deep is not an issue. i really recommend it. but it is still far from a solid 10.
  78. Dec 8, 2014
    Firefall is a mediocre MMORPG which looks interesting for a week or so, but then you realize it's repetitive, boring chore. Due to internal turmoils game lost direction mid-way through development and final version is only what was salvaged from the original innovation idea. This game brought insane amount of disappointment. Just 5 months after release game lost 90% of it's player base andFirefall is a mediocre MMORPG which looks interesting for a week or so, but then you realize it's repetitive, boring chore. Due to internal turmoils game lost direction mid-way through development and final version is only what was salvaged from the original innovation idea. This game brought insane amount of disappointment. Just 5 months after release game lost 90% of it's player base and is dropping by at least -20% of active player base every month. It's not that bad as to give it score of 0, more like 5ish, but It's a train wreck with no chance of reboot and that flatlines my score. Expand
  79. Aug 19, 2014
    Great game, having tons of fun and the most beautiful part is: its free!! Good sounds, graphics are not outstanding but okay, nice worlds, good voiceovers, good missions and MP (coop with a friend) works perfect. The upgrading is slow but I like slow paced games.
  80. Sep 6, 2014
    Awesome game. For something that was so so way back, it's turned into something special and who would have thought? I'm glad I stuck it out with this game. The use of battleframes is genius, although I wish I can have all my frames leveled up already instead of repeating everything one by one.
  81. Sep 10, 2014
    I'm a relatively "new" player, started only a month or so back. At first it didn't hook me so much so my friends helped me level up a bit. As of this typing, I'm a couple of levels higher already, I'm hooked! It's not a perfect game by any means, but it has a certain charm to it that just gets you. I also love how the jetpacks are not merely cosmetic, they really add a mechanic to the game!
  82. Sep 11, 2014
    For a free game, this feels as polished as you can get, at least give it a chance. I didn't regret it one bit. Leveling up the frames may get repetitive at times but once you've done it, it's all uphill.
  83. Sep 12, 2014
    I've been playing Firefall while waiting for Destiny to come out and to be honest, I did get a day one copy for Destiny, but have not touched it since purchase. Something about this game keeps me coming back, maybe because I'm a fan of jetpacks? I guess it's also the frames setup, it so interesting that the style of play drastically changes per frame.
  84. Aug 30, 2014
    Firefall is a Sci-Fi MMO FPS that grows on you. There are still missing elements here and there, but overall, it is a game on the verge of completion. Give it a try, it won't disappoint.
  85. Aug 26, 2014
    This MMOFPS game is highly customizable in-game meaning you can change your class and your gender ingame anytime you want, you can buy items to increase your customizability any time you want. For all people who are unhappy with games that say they are highly customizable and they aren't this is your game to solve that issue. This game is a Sify-FPS AND A Third Person Shooter. You canThis MMOFPS game is highly customizable in-game meaning you can change your class and your gender ingame anytime you want, you can buy items to increase your customizability any time you want. For all people who are unhappy with games that say they are highly customizable and they aren't this is your game to solve that issue. This game is a Sify-FPS AND A Third Person Shooter. You can customize your view anytime you want by hitting the middle mouse button. You can craft new weapons and vehicles every level so what are you waiting for jump into firefall Expand
  86. Sep 12, 2014
    Firefall hits the mark! (except when some genius compares this to a pure FPS or RPG game) It's a mix of both! Never a dull moment, both game and the players inside are awesome, just like bacon!
  87. Sep 5, 2014
    The game world is very large. Good thing you have jet boots, which can give you a boost forward and move a little faster, or you can make use of glider pads, going high up on buildings.

A good game I found myself enjoying in farming more XP and Crystite. It's an FPS with other people. GIVE ME MORE!
  88. Sep 14, 2014
    PvP:
    -The pvp is horrible, some people say just wait and they will get it balanced but after years of beta its not even close to being balanced.
    -The goals in pvp leads to anti-fun base trading since you need extreme number of rewards to trade for gear upgrade. -You can enter PvP before you are max lvl on a frame but as lvl30 out of 40 you will get 1 shoted and with the best pvp frame
    PvP:
    -You can enter PvP before you are max lvl on a frame but as lvl30 out of 40 you will get 1 shoted and with the best pvp frame at lvl30 with best equipment you need 7-9 headshots to kill a lvl40 enemy while he needs 2 bodyshoot or 1headshoot to kill you.

PvE:
    -This actually has potential but the game has very little content and no chance they will be able to produce new content to slake your hunger for new content. best you can hope for is to play it for 10days every 3 months.
    -Ares quests are a big part of lvling up and they are
    run to X--> talk npc--> run X kill 10+spiders/bandits--> run to start. Those who defend them usually say things like "dont mind ares" "you get decent exp/time why you complaining" "its not that much running". Even their defenders admit they are wildly unpopular and hated for their sheer dependance on running between locations.

Good stuff:
    -Contol over your character the jetpack mechanics of being able to jump like the hulk and hover in the air like iron man leads you to feel like a super-skilled-ninja player when you dodge shots like spiderman. Even if your not as myself even halfway decent in shooters it gives you that gut feeling of Im-Good!. Could have been a fun offline game if they had built on this and made a fun main campaign but as a mmo it keeps giving you Missions that are 80% running and such a tiny amount of content and PvP that forces you to play in a antifun way with unbalanced "classes"

All in all id say dip your toes into it for around 10days or so and then get up quickly before the "potential" trap catches you. When it comes to mmos its better to be wise then intelligent
  89. Sep 16, 2014
    I give this game a 9, been playing for a while. I have no sense of direction so i get lost. Very big map. All in all, the game and the community are nice and competitive. Even my little brother enjoy watching me get lost.
  90. Sep 14, 2014
    It is not an easy game to play, so if you have not previous experience playing other games you will have problems handling this one, otherwise you will enjoy this fast faced FPS/TPS MMO. Some people are complaining about the transportation in the game, but I think it is because they have not experimented with all the ways to travel in the game apart from walking and the motorbike, useIt is not an easy game to play, so if you have not previous experience playing other games you will have problems handling this one, otherwise you will enjoy this fast faced FPS/TPS MMO. Some people are complaining about the transportation in the game, but I think it is because they have not experimented with all the ways to travel in the game apart from walking and the motorbike, use your brain a bit and soon you will solve this problem that for some others is the end of the world as we know it.
    There is not necessary to do missions in the game even when they are really easy to pick up from the board. Leveling is relatively fast (again only if you use your brain. I got level 40 in the second world when it is suppose to happen in the third one) Regarding the gear: you can loot it, create it, exchange it, buy it in the market with fake money, and of course the old fashion style "buy it with real money".
    Pay for win or play for win? I did not expend one single coin in the game (Max level right now and still playing) but I will like to help them cause the pretty job they did. So No! no need to spend money to be good in this game, it is absolute Free To Play. So give it a try I will say until level 15, believe me it is really easy to get level 15 and, see if you like it or no, because I am loving it.
  91. Sep 23, 2014
    Firefall is a pretty complete and fun game. There are some bugs, yes, but the world is huge, the options available are so many that I will be discovering things easily after 100 hours of gameplay. And for being so large and complete, that occasional bugs will exist.

Crafting system, gathering resources, battle while gathering resources, not just passively mining or something, things are packed with action, good size action.

As far as graphics, gorgeous at Ultra High, the field of view - rendering is amazingly far, due to its vertical aspect (you can fly - use jetpacks), using height is a whole new level of fun and strategy.
  92. Oct 16, 2014
    If you are looking for a fun co operative game to play with your buddies and have a good time, then look no further. I will not go into details because many others have. So I will be straight. If you enjoy the game it is beneficial for you to drop a bit of money into it and get a jump pad, glider pad, and a vehicle. That's basically all you will need to spend money on. The rest isIf you are looking for a fun co operative game to play with your buddies and have a good time, then look no further. I will not go into details because many others have. So I will be straight. If you enjoy the game it is beneficial for you to drop a bit of money into it and get a jump pad, glider pad, and a vehicle. That's basically all you will need to spend money on. The rest is cosmetic things and trinkets. Expand
  93. Sep 24, 2014
    I've been playing Firefall since the days of the endless Beta and I've had nothing but fun, but it can be a bit of a mixed experience, and certainly having friends to play this game with contributes in a major way. Ok so first the bad - the quests can be a bit repetitive and slow, particularly making you go back and fore to the message board to get them, but a number of them are fun. ThisI've been playing Firefall since the days of the endless Beta and I've had nothing but fun, but it can be a bit of a mixed experience, and certainly having friends to play this game with contributes in a major way. Ok so first the bad - the quests can be a bit repetitive and slow, particularly making you go back and fore to the message board to get them, but a number of them are fun. This is a first/third person shooter, so the quests will involve shooting things or rescuing people/stuff and then carrying those things while encumbered and other people shoot at you. I think more could be made of this from an MMO point of view as the progression isn't exactly linear - but that can be a good thing as well.]
    Some of the reviews slating this game are more through the developers making radical changes in patches - although most of hte big changes have been done and I think what we have now is a very playable game.
    Now for the good - and there is A LOT of good in this game. It was originally touted as an e-sports title, and the PvP is very slick. The weapon progression is accessable to everyone and can take time but it is satisfying to be able to play with things like reload speed, magazine size, rate of fire and now additional elemental damage. The graphics are quite stylised, but nice, and the artwork for the environments is still stunning. The freedom of exploration is also still there, although you can't place Thumpers in as many wierd and wonderful areas as was possible in the past.
    Squad thumping with a group is great fun and the classes are able to support each other well in game - it's intense and frenetic and was always one of the best experiences of the game.

It's not perfect, and at times it does feel ike there could be more there to do, but rather than an MMO to burn hours of your life in, it's more like a shooter with progression features which add to the customisation feel of your character, and improve your interaction with the world, and there' alot there to make your character feel unique. Spending hours and hours doing PvE in this can get very dull particularly by yourself, but get a group of friends, and thump or do PvP and this game really shines.

In short, I'm older and I have less time than when I used to bury myself in an MMO for days at a time and lose track of time.
    With family and other commitments, this game fits in nicely, and there still remains the potential for endless expansion and world boss moments like the exciting videos of the original trailers way back when.

It's not perfect, but there's much more good than bad and the co-op play can make this game very exciting.
  94. Sep 25, 2014
    The tech support is amazing! I was helped within the hour and each response I left got an immediate response back! My issue was fixed professionally and quickly within minutes of the first response. The instructions were easy to follow and links were given for all folder locations and all downloads, making it a simple copy and paste or click to get where I needed. The gameplay for thisThe tech support is amazing! I was helped within the hour and each response I left got an immediate response back! My issue was fixed professionally and quickly within minutes of the first response. The instructions were easy to follow and links were given for all folder locations and all downloads, making it a simple copy and paste or click to get where I needed. The gameplay for this game is unlike any other MMO and that is refreshing. The live events are fun! Seeing an invasion happen, rushing to get to the location and finding yourself in a fierce battle is so much fun! There are plenty of battle-frames to choose from to fit any play style. Not only is the game extremely fun, but if you ever run into any problems, getting help is fast and painless! That makes for a really great experience! Plus, the devs are always listening to the players and constantly improving the game according to what the players recommend! The game is constantly improving, always getting better and better! Expand
  95. Oct 2, 2014
    I needed a break from Dark Souls II and was feeling the MMO bug again. Tried a Wildstar free trial and loved it, but I can't afford to pay subscription costs. Anyway, I actually heard about this game on Zero Punctuation and figured I'd try it. Surprisingly, I've been having an awesome time with Firefall! It's free to play, but not pay to win, and you can progress at a decent plug withoutI needed a break from Dark Souls II and was feeling the MMO bug again. Tried a Wildstar free trial and loved it, but I can't afford to pay subscription costs. Anyway, I actually heard about this game on Zero Punctuation and figured I'd try it. Surprisingly, I've been having an awesome time with Firefall! It's free to play, but not pay to win, and you can progress at a decent plug without paying. I will probably buy some Red Beans (the game currency) at some point, but right now it's still playable. The world is fantastically build and the art style is visually appealing. The combat is really fun and varied, and you get a permanent freaking jetpack! Travel is far less tedious than other MMOs, and you don't have to hunt for quest givers. The game lets you craft everything for free, but if you pay you can speed it up. All-in-all it's been a great adventure so far, and I will continue playing. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because the enemy and quest models are not very diverse at all. Expand
  96. Jan 4, 2015
    I beta tested this game from its inception and followed it faithfully until now. It had so much going for it, then right before it launched, they changed directions and ruined it all... similar to the way Tabula Rasa switched gears or Star Wars Galaxies switched gears. They did it to please the masses, forced into it by their Publishers when the Developers actually don't want to do it.I beta tested this game from its inception and followed it faithfully until now. It had so much going for it, then right before it launched, they changed directions and ruined it all... similar to the way Tabula Rasa switched gears or Star Wars Galaxies switched gears. They did it to please the masses, forced into it by their Publishers when the Developers actually don't want to do it. It is such a sad thing to see.

I continued to follow the game and play it for many months after it launched, in the hopes the new direction could appeal to me, but I just couldn't take it anymore. Don't get me wrong, the game is still very unique and can be very fun at times, but for what I'm getting, I'd rather play Unreal or WoW at two different times and get the better game-play of each than the dumped down, washed out mix offered by FireFall. The lack of content, especially end-game, is depressing and what was shown in the trailers for the game that got everyone so excited still isn't even added...
  97. Aug 1, 2014
    I think R5 had a great idea at the start, but sadly failed with implementation. MMO FPS sounds awesome right? Wrong if your FPS skills means very little, most mobs just run and park on top of you at lightning speeds, there are no covers or headshots. Weapons and the whole combat system feels so makeshift and clumsy that I sincerely wished at times to go back to good old MMO style ofI think R5 had a great idea at the start, but sadly failed with implementation. MMO FPS sounds awesome right? Wrong if your FPS skills means very little, most mobs just run and park on top of you at lightning speeds, there are no covers or headshots. Weapons and the whole combat system feels so makeshift and clumsy that I sincerely wished at times to go back to good old MMO style of "select target+spam ability buttons".
    Questing is tedious and boring, every quest is the same. Go to location xyz (half km away) click on 4 objects, kill 6 hostiles, walk back, get some meaningless reward. Repeat. NPCs (Aero/Oilspill) are super annoying and never shut up nor ever say anything meaningful either.
    People are praising graphics, but in my opinion (I play on max settings) they are ok-ish. Seen much better even in other MMOs. Some textures are very low rez, character models look really ugly in my opinion, cartoony style art is really unimaginative and used way too often in games today to impress anybody.
    Overall I understand R5 is trying to make money, but game is very grindy playing a fremium player. I got bored after about a week. I really tried, Firefall, but you are just not very interesting.
  98. Aug 3, 2014
    The only thing good about this game is the graphics and soundtrack. Quests are insanely repetitive and buggy. AI is terrible. End game is non-existent. Poor skill system. Poor balancing between classes. Really really bad PvP. I had supported this game during beta and was extremely disappointed. Gave it another 20 hours over a year later at launch and was even more disappointed. Squad/ArmyThe only thing good about this game is the graphics and soundtrack. Quests are insanely repetitive and buggy. AI is terrible. End game is non-existent. Poor skill system. Poor balancing between classes. Really really bad PvP. I had supported this game during beta and was extremely disappointed. Gave it another 20 hours over a year later at launch and was even more disappointed. Squad/Army system is very rudimentary. A lot was promised and Red 5 DID NOT deliver.
    0/10 as 6.2 is WAY more than this game deserves. I would not give it more than a 3(for graphics/soundtrack)

Overall Summary: Very poorly executed gameplay with a good OST and very good graphics.
  99. Aug 12, 2014
    Quite a sorry show. Despite what the professional reviews are saying, this is not an original concept. The game is very nearly a carbon copy of Global Agenda, a game more highly reviewed by professional and gamer alike. Unsurprisingly, the game has released in a similarly poor launch to a market with less patience. I guess this won't be the Global Agenda "killer" (as if it needed one) after all.
  100. Aug 4, 2014
    The game is a downright train wreck. Red 5 failed over and over, and this "release" isn't showing anything promising, quite the contrary. The developers have no idea how to create the game, they have no leadership and no contact with the community. They ignored all pleas from a once dedicated and loving community that they had. Give it a try if you want but do not spend a single buck on it.

1. Jan 5, 2015
    Firefall probably is the most innovative MMO of the last period, whose indisputable merits are, however, counterbalanced by significant technical gaps as well as a general flatness of end-game contents. Worth much, but it could've been even better.
  2. CD-Action
    Oct 24, 2014
    The story of Firefall’s development (9 years!) is much more interesting than the game itself. [Nov 2014, p.54]
  3. Games Master UK
    Sep 19, 2014
    The potential is there in the gunplay, but it's covered with shonky visuals and lifeless, grinding action. [Nov 2014, p.73]