Flashback PC

5.3

1. Oct 2, 2013
    Having played the original version on my Amiga have to say it. The game managed to re-capture that essence which made the original worthy of praise, I realize it may take some time getting used to at first, but remember so did the original game, I don't feel the game mechanic have been changed much although it does feel so because of the fluidity by which these are executed. As a personHaving played the original version on my Amiga have to say it. The game managed to re-capture that essence which made the original worthy of praise, I realize it may take some time getting used to at first, but remember so did the original game, I don't feel the game mechanic have been changed much although it does feel so because of the fluidity by which these are executed. As a person who puts a great of stress about the quality of the soundtrack I must say I've been left a bit disappointed in this regard, I loved the original soundtrack & although it is somewhat present in the game, it comes through much less and this felt disheartening. All around though it's a very good remake which lives up to the original when it comes to it's atmosphere. Also very worth mentioning at the price that it's being offered at. Expand
  2. Oct 1, 2013
    As good as i expected. Critics have a lot of respect for Flashback and demand more. This game is good and you will enjoy it. But the critics wanted a swan song for the current generation.

A polished and enjoyable title.
  3. Oct 1, 2013
    Well, it is just like the original except it's in HD. Controls here feel way better than on the console version, so far everything was clear and intuitive, seems like it was made for PC all along. The game really appeals to the nostalgia, but it has great graphics and several new cool features (like shooting while hanging or molecular glasses), so it's definitely worth buying for theWell, it is just like the original except it's in HD. Controls here feel way better than on the console version, so far everything was clear and intuitive, seems like it was made for PC all along. The game really appeals to the nostalgia, but it has great graphics and several new cool features (like shooting while hanging or molecular glasses), so it's definitely worth buying for the Flashback fans, but if you're playing through the story for the first time don't worry, you won't be disappointed as well. It could feel rather generic, but that's arcade platformer, so cut it some slack. Expand
  4. Oct 1, 2013
    20 years ago..i played one of the best game on Megadrive..cant forget it at all
    great atmosphere and story and alot of memories honestly..now its Back in HD
    ..was it good? with all these bad reviews for this game..i know it has some problems in Consoles ..like weired death and buggy and animation and voice ..etc..some of bugs r gone already on PC version..the dialog voice is cheap and
    20 years ago..i played one of the best game on Megadrive..cant forget it at all
    great atmosphere and story and alot of memories honestly..now its Back in HD
    gone already on PC version..the dialog voice is cheap and honestly..but i didint care alot
    i cared playing this game without knowing anything about the story..just wanted to get back
    to my old memories and fun with the original game..this remake is good ..its HD
    great visuals ..great Atmosphere..good music...yes Easy boss and buggy sometimes
    but its good..play it
  5. Nov 14, 2013
    To start with, there are control issues (even with the latest update) aiming with the right thumbstick is inaccurate, for example (in one place I had to use the mouse instead), and Conrad has a penchant to go into crouch mode for no reason.

It should be noted that I have played many incarnations of the original version Amiga, Archimedes and if I remember correctly, a PC version too. The story-line and general layout of the original is kept (especially for the first level), but of course other areas have been improved The graphics are very nice with a 2D parallax scrolling display.

Whilst there is some music like the original, it doesn't sound as good unfortunately rather a muted affair in that regard.

Puzzles consist mainly of working out how to open doors, and usually involved trying to through a grenade through a small hole.

Later levels do get a bit tricky the aliens take a lot of hits to kill, and unfortunately, like the original, spend far too much time in their slime state, so you can spend a fair while rolling around waiting for one to take a humanoid shape.

Another problem is that the alien world's platforms aren't always easy make out whilst you can have an indicator of where it is, you need to know that approximately where it is. The thumbstick inaccuracy really showed itself here, when you have to try and throw your teleporter through a small hole, which the stick's movement step wasn't small enough to find.

There is a chance to upgrade Conrad's skils, although, with the exception of the health level, doesn't really affect anything.

There are also some mini-games, which are exceedingly difficult (and could well be bordering on the impossible).

Lastly a port (or rather an emulation possibly the SNES version) of the original is included (once you have enough points to earn it). Unfortunately, the emulation is very poor you view it through a flickering arcade machine (and not full screen), nor do you have any music, which makes it a rather disappointing experience.

Overall, it is worth getting in addition, it is very, very cheap!
  6. Dec 19, 2013
    Was mesmerized and amazed by the original on Nintendo. This one hits the spot! Really great revamp! Worth the $4.99! Great job! It looks like it did in my imagination when I was younger
  7. Oct 2, 2013
    I don't get what the issue is with some of the reviewers, whether they're hipsters or racists. This is developed by the original Flashback development team, and they did a really good job of modernising it. It's meant to be the kind of game you can sit a kid down with, who's used to contemporary game mechanics, and show them why you liked this game as much as you did.

The story, the

The story, the setting, and everything important is still the same. I can't understand why people would hate the graphics unless, again, they're being racist about how admittedly French Conrad looks and sounds, but this was a game developed in France, so big surprise there. The graphics serve their purpose they're colourful, vibrant, and the enemies stand out.

Maybe people were expecting the original Flashback in its exact form but with higher resolutions and anti-aliasing? Sort of like Another World's (Out of this World's) Anniversary Edition? Personally, I prefer the updated look of Flashback because, once again, it's a great way to introduce a younger generation to a great game, a game which feels every bit as rotoscoped and well animated as it ever did, as fun as it ever did.

Maybe it's because they have memories of Flashback being hardcore or whatever? Well, I recently played the original Flashback and I can tell you that it's as easy as I remember it being, I guess I'm just not terrible at games. This Flashback and the old Flashback have a very similar difficulty curve, and there are difficulty settings you can choose from. I'm baffled by people who believe that Flashback was a hard game you can even pick to play the original game from the title menu. It really wasn't a hard game.

I am inclined to call both hipster and racist though on the people who hated this. Take a look at the negative review by Weilard and tell me you don't see it.

It's upsetting that racism and hipster angst will actually see this game hurting when it comes to reviews, and I'm not sure whether the critics themselves are immune to this, either. Yes, it's a French game with a French hero. So? It's not elite and hardcore. So? Neither was the original Flashback! Rose-tinted glasses much?

So yeah. Please don't take the negative reviews at face value.
  8. Nov 22, 2013
    I love just about everything about this remake. It runs smooth, has the same enemies, and the story stays intact with some filling in between. However, I am a little bit disappointed in the voice acting and the music change.

The music change isn't all that bad but I really liked the bass lines in the original and how mysterious it felt entering a new area. It was such a wondrous feeling. The voice acting.... if you remember, it was all text in the first one and you basically decide on how the character sounds with your own imagination. When it comes to Conrad... they made him sound like a kid who doesn't take anything seriously and brags too much. I mean... he's supposed to be a hardcore special agent!

Anyway, the basic mechanics of the game are still intact and I just can't get over how much more beautiful the game looks and feels.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Oct 31, 2013
    By packaging the original Flashback: The Quest for Identity, the developers made a huge mistake – because it makes the remake look even worse than it is.