5.5

1. Oct 1, 2013
    As good as i expected. Critics have a lot of respect for Flashback and demand more. This game is good and you will enjoy it. But the critics wanted a swan song for the current generation.

A polished and enjoyable title.
  2. Oct 1, 2013
    Well, it is just like the original except it's in HD. Controls here feel way better than on the console version, so far everything was clear and intuitive, seems like it was made for PC all along. The game really appeals to the nostalgia, but it has great graphics and several new cool features (like shooting while hanging or molecular glasses), so it's definitely worth buying for the Flashback fans, but if you're playing through the story for the first time don't worry, you won't be disappointed as well. It could feel rather generic, but that's arcade platformer, so cut it some slack. Expand
  3. Oct 2, 2013
    I don't get what the issue is with some of the reviewers, whether they're hipsters or racists. This is developed by the original Flashback development team, and they did a really good job of modernising it. It's meant to be the kind of game you can sit a kid down with, who's used to contemporary game mechanics, and show them why you liked this game as much as you did.

The story, the
    setting, and everything important is still the same. I can't understand why people would hate the graphics unless, again, they're being racist about how admittedly French Conrad looks and sounds, but this was a game developed in France, so big surprise there. The graphics serve their purpose they're colourful, vibrant, and the enemies stand out.

Maybe people were expecting the original Flashback in its exact form but with higher resolutions and anti-aliasing? Sort of like Another World's (Out of this World's) Anniversary Edition? Personally, I prefer the updated look of Flashback because, once again, it's a great way to introduce a younger generation to a great game, a game which feels every bit as rotoscoped and well animated as it ever did, as fun as it ever did.

Maybe it's because they have memories of Flashback being hardcore or whatever? Well, I recently played the original Flashback and I can tell you that it's as easy as I remember it being, I guess I'm just not terrible at games. This Flashback and the old Flashback have a very similar difficulty curve, and there are difficulty settings you can choose from. I'm baffled by people who believe that Flashback was a hard game you can even pick to play the original game from the title menu. It really wasn't a hard game.

I am inclined to call both hipster and racist though on the people who hated this. Take a look at the negative review by Weilard and tell me you don't see it.

It's upsetting that racism and hipster angst will actually see this game hurting when it comes to reviews, and I'm not sure whether the critics themselves are immune to this, either. Yes, it's a French game with a French hero. So? It's not elite and hardcore. So? Neither was the original Flashback! Rose-tinted glasses much?

So yeah. Please don't take the negative reviews at face value.
  4. Dec 19, 2013
    Was mesmerized and amazed by the original on Nintendo. This one hits the spot! Really great revamp! Worth the $4.99! Great job! It looks like it did in my imagination when I was younger
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Oct 31, 2013
    By packaging the original Flashback: The Quest for Identity, the developers made a huge mistake – because it makes the remake look even worse than it is.