8.6

1. Jul 21, 2014
    I love the graphics and I just can't get enough of the gameplay and soundtrack. In my opinion It's the best car racing game if you want have some fun.
  2. Jul 6, 2014
    OVERALL: A racing game with excellent object physics. The sequel "The Next Car Game" game, piqued my interest (Bugbear Entertainment lost the "FlatOut" license and FlatOut 3 was--from what I've read--a dissapointing entry created by "Team 6").

STORY: Nonexistent.

GRAPHICS: (9/10): It looks great if you bump up the resolution, runs great, and has aged well. The big hook is the many
    physics-enabled side barriers and other objects to crash through. Many are large enough to slow you down, but most just help you by providing visual indicators of how you're moving. Crash hard enough and occasionally the driver will have its ragdoll thrown out of the window. Each of the cars also deforms realistically.
    (From what I've seen of demo videos, "The Next Car Game" is set to have way more physics-enabled objects its cars are much more deformable (to the extent of being crushed in half, to where that alters the angle of the tires and thereby the driving mechanics). And since FlatOut 2 already does both pretty well, I'm excited to see that ramped up in the sequel.)
    The only visual disappointment is the lack of "real" licensed cars; they're all generic. I would prefer it if the cars were real and handled like their counterparts, because then I might feel like I was "learning" about cars.
    Additionally, FlatOut 2 is the best use of 3D screens I have seen so far. I have an Nvidia 3D vision screen, but most videogames handle 3D poorly, with shadows misaligned over character outlines; even slight misalignments become headache-inducingly intolerable in any twitch-action game. But the alignment of FlatOut 2's 3D is PERFECT! It's bizarre, since I can't imagine enough people in 2004 had 3D tvs to make it worthwhile for them to invest time in the feature, but here it is. And for 3D to really matter, to really "pop" at the viewer, you have to have objects coming at you at all times or you forget it's there; FlatOut 2 has solved this problem because the ground (racing surface) is always rushing towards you, so you never forget about it, and then the opponents' cars and other background objects move between the foreground and background in a way where the 3D actually helps you play better. And the showers of sparks from each partial-crash being thrown at you is just an amazing effect.

AUDIO: (5/10) - Sound effects are fine. The music track selection is poor and I turned the music off.

CONTROL: (9/10) - The car driving mechanics are great. I still think that the PS2-era GTA games (GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas) and by extension Rockstar's PS2 racing game "Midnight Club 3" had the most perfect vehicular controls, and FlatOut 2's aren't QUITE as good. Also, you don't have "lean" options like in Midnight Club 3 or the crazy jump-jets of "Nitronic Rush", just basic driving and a bit of refilling nitrous turbo-speed.
    But the controls are still pretty great (better than most racing games), the various racing surfaces feel good, and the inter-car physics is probably the best in the business. I tried the "PIT maneuver" from the GTA San Andreas driver's school, and it works if you can then avoid crashing into the car you just spun around. Gorgeous crashes occur organically, making those in Burnout 3 seem stiff and manufactured, precisely because FlatOut 2 has the best physics of any racing game (at least until Next Car Game comes out).

DESIGN: (7/10) -
    From what I've heard, "Flatout: Ultimate Carnage", a partial remake with insignificant improvements, has the major downside that (unlike FlatOut 2) you can't reassign joystick buttons, and "accelerate" is mapped to the trigger, which would have gotten tiring on my stiff Logitech controller. So FlatOut 2 is a better choice based on this quibble alone.
    The AI is superb, probably the best in any racing game I've ever played. Your 8 opponents per stage are difficult and aggressive and knock you around, jockey for position the whole race, split up among the different shortcuts, and don't rubber-band (you do need to restart if you crash badly enough). But they also make "human" crashing mistakes and you can knock them into the environment if you play well. The constant challenge--and the fact that I never felt alone during a race--kept me invested.
    For gameplay types, there's a) racing (sequences of 3-5 stages) b) demolition derby and c) "skill games" like jumping. The racing is by far the best mode. Demoltion derby is fun at first, but it's a little too hard: to stay alive you need to avoid crashing more than the once-per-45-seconds to avoid disqualification but to win you have to cause more damage than the opponents.
    The biggest downside is the upgrade system, because I never knew if I needed to grind more cash to buy a new car or just play better. Not every game needs an upgrade system, people!
    Alas, there's no splitscreen multiplayer (boo! Hiss! WHY?!?). But it is nice that all stages are unlocked from the start for LAN/online.
    Strongly recommend for any racing fan.
  3. Dec 29, 2013
    I'm honestly surprised that I enjoyed a PC racing game, but my god this one is fun! The physics engine is superb, and the graphics are beyond their time. The game offers a decent selection of cars and has intense racing/smash-and-derby/other modes that are enjoyable to play. Denting and destruction is apparent in cars, which adds a needed realistic factor that many racing games fail to achieve. Props are destructible and crashes are intense and awesome looking! The career mode has a very good difficulty curve, and is fun to play through and earn trophies. Overall a great game and well worth the $9.99 that's being asked, I got mine on sale for $2.50 and I've gotten 8+ hours of fun out of it! Expand
  4. Oct 11, 2013
    It isn't Burnout 3, but it comes close. Decent sense of speed, decent selection of cars. Destructibility of tracks is pretty awesome, and the track design is very good. Some of the physics are a little wonky but the driving mostly feels good overall. One of the best arcade racers I've ever played, but it just can't beat Burnout.
  5. Jul 26, 2013
    Looks like it could be a good game, but absolutely unplayable on the keyboard. Tapping a direction will make you do a 360 degree spin. I've had no problems with Wipeout or GTA and was hoping for a similar arcade experience but it looks like it's meant for a controller or steering wheel.
  6. Jan 4, 2013
    Flatout 2 inovatted the racing games. After play Flatout 2 and Ultimate Carnage, you probably will not play Need For Speed again. The soundtrack is very good and ideal for this game. This is the best racing game franchise in my opinion.
  7. Dec 22, 2012
    Это одни и самых замечательных аркадных гонок, когда-либо виденных мною. Игра очень динамичная, весёлая, в меру сложная. За 6 лет не надоела до сих пор. Можно так же отметить приятную детализированную графику, без излишеств, красочно и нетребовательно. В любом случае советую. Конечно, понравится не каждому, но пропускать не стоит. Expand
  8. Aug 10, 2012
    Eines der besten Rennspiele die es gibt !!!! ;)
  9. Jan 25, 2012
    Epic racing game, the career mode is very, very good plus every race seems to be challenging so far. Not to mention the fact you dont have to win to have fun with this(game rewards you alot for slamming into and destroying opponents cars). The soundtrack however does get repetitive and I wouldnt recommend playing it if your easily ticked off when you lose.
  10. Jan 18, 2012
    This game is a classic, it's great fun at LAN parties and a huge amount of fun in Derby, some cars are a bit hard to control, but that kind of boosts the challenge a bit. The graphics are pretty good still, even for today's standards.
  11. Dec 25, 2011
    I just picked this game up a couple weeks ago and it's all I really play now. Me and my brother (who are both in their late 20's) love quick and fun multiplayer action games. Multiplayer is where it's at. I think game play in all modes (race, stunt, derby) is a blast. Physics are awesome, controls are simple (I use mouse/keyboard), and there is a pretty good variety of cars (which I think can be increased via downloads on the web).

I don't play single player, so no comment on that.
  12. Nov 23, 2011
    I do not like racing games, (except NFS most wanted) but this one break the rules making it one of the best in the genre, please do me a favor and play it!
  13. Oct 2, 2010
    Great soundtrack Great cars Great fun.Thx to my friend Remus for the ideea.One of the few racing games to must play.

1. There’s no getting away from the fact that FlatOut 2 is damned good fun, and will bring you back to the days of Destruction Derby and its ilk. However, as much as we appreciate the tweaks – and that’s really all they are – to the first game, there are still a few too many fundamental flaws which bring out a wail of frustration or a tut as you consider how easily certain annoyances could have been avoided.
  2. Where FlatOut felt like racing in a field, FlatOut 2 feels like racing on a film set. It has been reshaped into the archetype, competent arcade racer. [Aug 2006, p.89]
  3. The single-player Career won't take all that long to complete, but with a hugely entertaining multiplayer mode both on and offline, there's a good chance you'll continue playing for a while after.