7.5

1. DavidS
    Sep 13, 2008
    New game-modes and improved visuals for the PC version don't make up for the loss of a LAN-play function. Flatout 2 is a favourite at out LAN parties, but UC only supports online multiplay via Windows LIVE - making this an inferior product to its predecessor.
  2. TonyM.
    Aug 12, 2008
    FlatOut 2 on the PC is my favorite racing game because it looks hot and is loads of fun. So naturally, Ultimate Carnage looks to be a great extension of 2 (however minor in gameplay, but better in technology). Plus 12 players over 8 should be a welcome addition to the fun. I just hope the price is right.
  3. AntonEf
    Aug 4, 2008
    Nothing new except graphics and the remote camera's closer to ground (almost behind the car) than in Flatout 2.
  4. May 29, 2011
    If you're looking for a realistic racing sim, stop reading and find another game. Flatout is all about the ridiculous arcade type experience, incentivizing ridiculous ramp jumps, smashing scenery, and crashing into other players by giving a boost of nitro every time.

The result is ridiculous, fast, destructive, and nothing at all like a serious driving game, and that's what's so appealing.

It's not without some flaws -- This is clearly a port from a console and without a whole lot of work to fix it up for PC, but for the most part the leftovers from console are tolerable. The soundtrack is dumb D-list nu-metal garbage, and the camera isn't always friendly, especially if you're driving one of the bigger vehicles which can block your view of the road. But overall it's good fun. Pick it up next time it's on sale.
  5. Nov 17, 2011
    We are in 2011 and Flatout: Ultimate Carnage still is the best racing game !!!! Fantastic gameplay, graphics, destruiction and more important: very funny. We need a sequel!!
  6. MatthiewMarks
    Aug 27, 2008
    A new version of my favourite LAN game!.....WITHOUT LAN capability. What the!?! Seriously, who's gonna buy this game when all it has over Flatout 2 is new maps and better graphics (and physics?). Flatout 2 has LAN... and is half the price of UC at my local store. What a waste.
  7. AkiR.
    Aug 5, 2008
    Burnout games are nothing compared to original! This just the best, craziest and funniest racing game ever. Physics modelling is fantastic -beats gran turismo arcade-feel anyday.
  8. SqueGe
    Aug 4, 2008
    It´s simply awesome game!!
    Jul 11, 2008
    Amazing graphics, the best and most fun 'trash rally' game there still is. Highly recommended.
  10. Oct 29, 2011
    I recently purchased GRID from Steam and I got frustrated primarily from the car handling after 15 minutes. FlatOut is a new game for me as I'm not typically into car games as much as FPS. I haven't played earlier titles so I can't say if it's improved over them, but what I CAN say is that this game totally rocks if you're a casual gamer like me who just wants to race around variousI recently purchased GRID from Steam and I got frustrated primarily from the car handling after 15 minutes. FlatOut is a new game for me as I'm not typically into car games as much as FPS. I haven't played earlier titles so I can't say if it's improved over them, but what I CAN say is that this game totally rocks if you're a casual gamer like me who just wants to race around various courses (cities, forests, canals, etc.) without having to learn all about car setups and stuff. It has capabilities of improving your rides, but the game is fun even with the base car. For other reviewers out there, please rank this game where it belongs .. not simply because it doesn't offer as many changes as you expected from a previous version. The only potential negative I can say about this game is that it requires Windows Live which I have never liked. But the game itself is really fun and it'll be the game I turn to when I want to race around and let off steam. Expand
  11. Nov 11, 2011
    FlatOut is a truly under-rated series. Crashing and wrecking action is hell a lot of fun and satisfying. It's probably the only series out-there where you can strategically wreck your opponents to win instead of trying to finish first all the time. BurnOut is nothing compared to FlatOut in this department. FlatOut 2 is good, FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage, with all its graphical and gameplayFlatOut is a truly under-rated series. Crashing and wrecking action is hell a lot of fun and satisfying. It's probably the only series out-there where you can strategically wreck your opponents to win instead of trying to finish first all the time. BurnOut is nothing compared to FlatOut in this department. FlatOut 2 is good, FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage, with all its graphical and gameplay improvement is truly great. I'd wholeheartedly recommend any action racing fan to try out this, it's the best in business. Expand
  12. JeremiahO'N
    Oct 3, 2009
    A very excellent game. Sturdy and bug-free, runs amazingly well, loads fast and looks beautiful on a computer with an 8-year-old motherboard. Gameplay is great and innovative, multiplayer is incredibly comprehensive and intuitive for all it's flexibility and the bonus modes make great use of the game's oh-so-smooth graphics engine in a flamboyantly hilarious and arcade-like A very excellent game. Sturdy and bug-free, runs amazingly well, loads fast and looks beautiful on a computer with an 8-year-old motherboard. Gameplay is great and innovative, multiplayer is incredibly comprehensive and intuitive for all it's flexibility and the bonus modes make great use of the game's oh-so-smooth graphics engine in a flamboyantly hilarious and arcade-like manner. It's like a new-age arcade racer gone wild. In keeping with the difficulty level of the arcade games this game styles itself after, however, the game isolates new players, who will quickly become frustrated with the overintelligent AI. The game's lightning-fast engine works against it in this way, as the all-too important gameplay tips are featured on the loading screens, which are subverted in an instant. A game ahead of it's time, styled after a genre long-dead, running too well on merely moderate systems. This game exceeds it's audience and bounds in greatness- and is the worse off for it. If you can take losing with a smile, if you are a person who appreciates the thrill of high-speed crashes and the beauty of variable-mesh twisted carframes, if you have fast reflexes and know your limits, then you can have the time of your life with this game. If you're not, then you should A) stick to sims like GRID until you are prepared to have fun with video games and B) do NOT give this game a poor review because it's too good for your pretention. If the game isn't your type, that doesn't make it bad. Just accept that you made a mistake in your purchase by a misjudgement of your own prefered genre and move on- the price you paid for this masterpeice isn't enough to justify such misplaced rage. I urge any potential buyers to bear in mind that this is an ARCADE racing game, and to not make the mistake of buying this as a serious simulator. Expand
  13. SnatcherJ.
    Aug 3, 2008
    The only that grabbed me for hours in a long time!
  14. Section8
    Aug 27, 2008
    If you like Flatout - you'll want this. Improved Multiplayer action, more opponents, even better physics and improved graphics, great music... Wow! Yes, there isn't much 'new' to it, and Bugbear better have a 'new' Flatout coming soon or add-on plugin for this or I'll certainly feel like it's just re-gurgatated material. But wow, puke this game-play If you like Flatout - you'll want this. Improved Multiplayer action, more opponents, even better physics and improved graphics, great music... Wow! Yes, there isn't much 'new' to it, and Bugbear better have a 'new' Flatout coming soon or add-on plugin for this or I'll certainly feel like it's just re-gurgatated material. But wow, puke this game-play on me any day.. Expand
  15. CarlosTheBear
    Sep 11, 2008
    9 out of 10 if you've never owned previous FlatOut titles, 7 out of 10 if you have. Good entertaining fun game. weird cars, over the top rag-doll and insane, almost cheating AI will keep players coming back for more (for a while at least anyway)
  16. Jan 19, 2012
    Tastes great! Less filling! FlatOut:UC put the fun back into racing games. I don't dislike games like NFS or Grid, but sometimes the excessive attempts at realism get in the way of just enjoying the race. Ironically, the reduced realism in FO:UC actually makes the game FEEL more realistic. When you drive a real car, you feel the G-forces with your entire body and you feel the resistance onTastes great! Less filling! FlatOut:UC put the fun back into racing games. I don't dislike games like NFS or Grid, but sometimes the excessive attempts at realism get in the way of just enjoying the race. Ironically, the reduced realism in FO:UC actually makes the game FEEL more realistic. When you drive a real car, you feel the G-forces with your entire body and you feel the resistance on the tires right through the gas pedal and the steering wheel. You adjust before the car starts drifting. Even with force feedback devices, you just don't get this kind of feedback in a racing game, so those other "realistic" games that make your car drift because you sneezed simulate the physics of the car, but they fail to simulate the reality of driving. FlatOut:UC doesn't have wild, uncontrollable drift unless you do something truly stupid, so the car reacts as it would if you were driving and not sitting behind an oversensitive plastic controller. It's very satisfying. By the way, the official line is "Steering Wheels are not supported with Flatout Ultimate Carnage. Keyboard and controller support only." Well, I play it with a Logitech Driving Force steering wheel, and it works better than with any other game I have! The game plays very nicely with a game pad, but it's just amazing with the steering wheel. The tension is just right and it really feels like driving at high speeds. Also, you may read in the specs that "XBOX 360 Controller is preset and cannot be re-configured regarding the control options." That's true, but if you have another type of controller that emulates the XBox 360 controller, like the Logitech Rumble Gamepad, you have complete control over what every button does. In fact, it's the game that I've found the easiest to set up with various controller devices. I've tried it also with a Thrustmaster HOTAS, but aside from the stick and throttle being more comfortable, I didn't have better control over the car than with the gamepad. Neither compares to how perfectly the game runs with the steering wheel it isn't supposed to support. The game itself probably deserves a full 9, but it loses a point for shoving Games for Windows Live down our throats. Expand
  17. Jan 18, 2012
    Horrifying music that would make you want to cut your ears off, fry them to a crisp and eat them (so the crunch would drown out the noise and the taste would hopefully make you forget you ever heard it). But otherwise FlatOut UC is a really fun arcade racing game for those of us who just want to have plain old fun and smash up cars. Runs pretty smoothly and the graphics are alrightHorrifying music that would make you want to cut your ears off, fry them to a crisp and eat them (so the crunch would drown out the noise and the taste would hopefully make you forget you ever heard it). But otherwise FlatOut UC is a really fun arcade racing game for those of us who just want to have plain old fun and smash up cars. Runs pretty smoothly and the graphics are alright considering its origin. Sure, it's a port that could have done withe some more improvement, but don't let that hold you back. Personally I never played a FlatOut game before, but I can see where a game like Burn Out Paradise must have gotten its inspiration from. Good fun. Collapse
  18. Oct 24, 2013
    Amazing driving/vehicle combat game, with great graphics, more accessible gameplay, increased number of cars and drivers and fantastic online multiplayer. Perfect!
  19. Jan 18, 2012

1. Not a new game, but certainly looks like one. It's a great ride, but if you've seen it before, you've seen it all before. [Aug 2008, p.104]
  2. The single-player Career won't take all that long to complete, but with a hugely entertaining multiplayer mode both on and offline, there's a good chance you'll continue playing for a while after.
  3. More fun than 50 Formula One races, with or without Nazi-themed S&M. [Sept 2008, p.71]