Football Manager 2014 PC

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Oct 30, 2013
5.6

1. Dec 11, 2013
    Ive changed my mind once again, this game, despite the latest patch is an absolute trainwreck. FM13 is more polished than this. The most stupidest occurs. Right now I cant give my players new contracts cause my board thinks we have spent enough, not realizing that this is not a new signing but 20 existing players which contracts ending in 3 months.... Our economy is fine and the salaryIve changed my mind once again, this game, despite the latest patch is an absolute trainwreck. FM13 is more polished than this. The most stupidest occurs. Right now I cant give my players new contracts cause my board thinks we have spent enough, not realizing that this is not a new signing but 20 existing players which contracts ending in 3 months.... Our economy is fine and the salary cap has not been reached. f***ing horror.

Here comes my earlier (second) review.
    "Despite my earlier review, I have played FM14 for a number of hours now. I've decided to raise my score to a 5, but unfortunately, I don't think FM14 will reach any higher. Its not because its a bad game by any means, its because its the same game as 2013. Some things are better, like match engine (offensive) and the loading speeds but others are actually worse, like simple language translations, defending, removal of sliders and fancy animations that doesn't make any sense. Sadly, most things behind the scenes remain unchanged. No money for assistants, reputation doesn't scale properly with team success and of course the graphics and sounds (worse) that stays relatively unchanged year after year.

Is it a good game? I guess it is. Is it worth the price tag? definitely not. This looks and feels more like a $15 DLC package than a full priced game. Can you imagine a team spent a whole year on this?! I cant, all I see is a handful of people pressing a few buttons every year and then laugh all the way to the bank. Its gone 2 weeks and they haven't even released an update fixing some of the obvious bugs that people are having (they are to busy sipping tequilas I guess). Don't buy this game, teach sigames a lesson. If you want updated player transfers, go to sortitoutsi and get it for FM13 instead."
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    Im still trying to understand all this people and magazines with a good review about this fm 2014. They clearly didnt see the beta version of this year or played fm 2013. Was the huggest c**p I ever see of the series, the match eng is even worse(I dont know how they did this), is unbeliveble. Congrats SI Games for another bad year, need to be blind or complete stupid to give a good reviewIm still trying to understand all this people and magazines with a good review about this fm 2014. They clearly didnt see the beta version of this year or played fm 2013. Was the huggest c**p I ever see of the series, the match eng is even worse(I dont know how they did this), is unbeliveble. Congrats SI Games for another bad year, need to be blind or complete stupid to give a good review about this game Expand
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    To begin, I have been playing this series since the Championship manager days back in the 90’s, and have to admit, won’t be playing them for much longer, and have even uninstalled this one.
    The game is sleek and polished, with greater match day graphics, but unfortunately it ends there.
    Firstly, I am sick and tired of watching another game end up with me having far more shots on goal than the opposition, just to see another drawn/lost game result.
    Granted, this happens from time to time in reality, but here, the regularity of its occurrence is plain ridiculous. I clocked it happening in over 100 hours of play occurring over 40% of the time, even with the new patch installed too.
    Especially when I know that my players have greater finishing/composure than the opposition, it leaves you feeling like why bother trying to get that striker with 17 finishing and 15 composure, when the opposition player with finishing of 11 and composure of 10 scores more throughout a season anyway?

And this leads me on to my biggest gripe with the series, and that is the unlinked stats. What I mean by that is this; Doncaster in the Championship had a player (Salvatore Foti, aged 27) valued at £275,000 at the beginning of the season, with finished rating of 10, composure of 11 (Who needs Suarez?). At the end of the season, he had scored 32 goals, with an average of 7.34. By and large then he was a roaring success, but how much did his value increase? And how many teams were queuing up to buy him? Well, his value increased to a whopping £425,000, with NO-ONE interested. Not a single club. Also, his finishing/composure rating hadn’t moved either.
    This happens time and time and time again in the FM world too. I noted another player who I had been eyeing up finish the season with a dribbles per game score of 8.48, yet his value barely moved at all, and his dribbling stat didn’t increase either. Again, no other manager thought it prudent to take a look at him either.
    This just makes the game feel devoid of any true realism.
    Added to this lack of realism is the appalling transfer system, which lets the game down terribly. There is just no sense of holding onto your best player in the face of prolonged scouting, snooping and/or newspaper speculation, neither do you feel like you have just pinched a certain player from under the noses of one of your bidding rivals either.
    The free transfer list is comical too, with yourself the one who buys up these players. Imagine you are the aforementioned Doncaster (again!), and are bottom of the championship, with a tight wage budget, and a team that cannot create chances. You find a certain 33 year old David Dunn on the free transfer list, with a creativity rating of 18, and passing of 15. Granted he’s old with poor stamina, but would you not take a gamble, and risk him on a short term contract?
    I was able to get the former Ballon d’or winner Kaka, aged 32, at Wolves in the championship on £17,500 a week for Pete’s sake, with not a single team interested. Why not, especially on that wage?
    There is just no feel of competing for players at all, players you know would have at least half a dozen teams clamouring for their signature, if not more.
    And the free list is chock a block with players like this, whether it be an aging but solid defender, a midfielder with teamwork and work rate stats above 18, or a nippy winger with impressive speed stats.

And talking of stats, why has ‘experience’ never been included? It would make buying those aging stars more appropriate, especially if you managed to get someone who had over 10 years of champion’s league experience for instance, at your lowly Championship club.

And I have never, in all the years of playing this game, EVER come across a transfer that made me think WOW!! And this game continues that trend.
    You know the type, Man City attempting to buy Messi or Ronaldo for £90+ million, Man U trying to bring Bale back home, or Chelsea attempting to buy Rooney. Here, in this world, this just does not happen. And in all of the years playing it, it never has.
    As I mentioned, it leaves the whole transfer system feeling sterile and cold, with no realism whatsoever attached to it.
    And to finish, the match engine is plain pathetic.
    I have lost count of the amount of times I have asked my defenders to close/man mark the opposition, only to see another lofted cross end up in the net from a striker who had been left alone in the box, with my defenders not even challenging. Or midfielders who I have asked to harry and close down the opposition, yet allow a player to waft past them like they were swans on a lake, unopposed.

This game may be great for newbs, who will love becoming lost in the world of stats, but if you have played it for more than a few years, then the glaring inadequacies will surface very quickly here.

Poor effort, yet maximum frustration
  4. Dec 12, 2013
    Even with the latest update installed its still a broken game. The defending, decision making, finishing and goalkeeping is just plain ridiculous.
    The fullbacks just drive you mad with the way they play Can't land a good tackle and get booked for fun,even get sent off frequently.

The central defenders don't give a f**k when a striker runs past them, his pace doesn't even matter. Playing a high defensive line with offside trap is committing suicide even against the minnows.

In theory SI made a nice decision to turn down finishing so that it could make the conversion rates more realistic. But in the Match engine it looks laughable when your strikers continue to miss from 6 yards out. Heck even a shot from 8 yards out is considered optimistic by the ME.

The amount of shots you might have in the match doesn't really matter because your players decide to shoot the first time they touch the ball. Its more kinda like Setpice manager because the amount of freekicks and corners you get is ridiculous too. If you take them short you have an advantage because the opposition doesn't close you down no matter what.

This game will make you rage quit every other match as tactics are thrown out of the window with the stupid bugs. No fun in playing this game until they sort out the match engine. TERRIBLE GAME!
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    As a 10-year CM/FM player, after hours of frustration I decided to uninstall the game and never ever touch FM again unless there appears some fundamental overhaul which is very unlikely. I feel FM is already fundamentally broken since very long ago. For 14, the match engine makes me sick. I definitely can't find the successive works as classic as CM 03-04 which I first encountered. All theAs a 10-year CM/FM player, after hours of frustration I decided to uninstall the game and never ever touch FM again unless there appears some fundamental overhaul which is very unlikely. I feel FM is already fundamentally broken since very long ago. For 14, the match engine makes me sick. I definitely can't find the successive works as classic as CM 03-04 which I first encountered. All the additional features seem to be doing some superficial "effort" but actually making the game experience more clumsy and bizarre because they are implemented scrappily. If SI isn't gonna make it hopefully another company can do it, though it's quite difficult. Somehow FM just feels like the Microsoft in football simulation game: Now almost everybody dislikes it but can hardly find an alternative. Sad. Expand
  6. Feb 15, 2014
    The high scores this game received from so called professional reviewers shows yet again that these idiots are just on the take. They must enjoy a lot of freebies to ignore the fact that this is by far the worst, most buggy FM game ever produced. It's pathetic.
  7. Nov 21, 2013
    Quite possibly one of the worst games i have ever played in my life. Backed up by the fact that the company who makes the game have attitudes a mile wide and are quite unprofessional. Weeks have gone by with no fix to the problem and nothing but excuses get made when asked. Terrible game.
  8. Feb 9, 2014
    This is the worst Football manager yet. Steer as far away from it as you can. A broken match engine that will just lead to hours of frustration. Strategy will just become redundant as players do not follow instructions and the scores of bugs both inside and out of the match engine will stack the odds against you. I've played this every year since 2006 and although some versions have hadThis is the worst Football manager yet. Steer as far away from it as you can. A broken match engine that will just lead to hours of frustration. Strategy will just become redundant as players do not follow instructions and the scores of bugs both inside and out of the match engine will stack the odds against you. I've played this every year since 2006 and although some versions have had their problems, this is the first one that is simply unplayable and provides no enjoyable experience. Expand
  9. Feb 16, 2014
    I've been playing the football manager games for quite a while now, and I'm afraid to say SI have really taken their eye off the ball. Football Manager 2014 is quite simply the worst Football Manager I have played.

Why? The football. The actual games are now a complete lottery. The players ignore your instructions. They almost always allow the opposition to amble past them with the

Why? The football.

The actual games are now a complete lottery. The players ignore your instructions. They almost always allow the opposition to amble past them with the ball, even if they are world-class defenders. Each game has a countless number of corners, which almost always result in goals due to goalkeepers not being able to catch crosses. 8 out of 10 goals are completely comical.

It is like watching a video of a bunch of 7-year-olds playing football, and trying to influence the result by shouting at the TV. It is the lack of control that grates the most.

The various updates don't make things any better - they seem to introduce more weird bugs (like the latest one of wingers refusing to cross, ever).

As a test I tried filling a world-class team full of the best players in the world (Lewandowski, Thiago Silva, Pogba, etc etc). Even after 12 months of all these players bedding in, we would still lose every away game by a cricket score regardless of the tactic, opposition, or how long we established a pattern of play.

As I said - it is a strangely unresponsive lottery of a game. I give up.
  10. Mar 8, 2014
    This game is a joke.
    What happens is very random.
    The match engine is awful.
    It's a parody of a soccer simulation.
    It's very easy to win EVERY game with unreal tactics.
    All penalties taken are scored.
    The latest patch made the game completely unplayable and the number of bugs make it laughable at best.
  11. Nov 10, 2013
    Seemingly focused all attention onto tactics which in turn dont work. Have started 4 seperate games and just constantly lose every game regardless of change in tactics etc, scouting reports are often wrong. Regret paying the money for a worse version of 2012
  12. Dec 25, 2013
    F"ucking worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I decided to uninstall the game and never ever touch FM again...
  13. Jan 2, 2014
    This is a C R A P !!!!
    Worse FM at all time.
    Don't buy it!
    Metacritic score is too high rating.
    this is the last game that I bought from Sports Interactive.unfortunately the lack of competition results in such a state of things
  14. Jan 2, 2014
    Worst FM ever. The series has taken five steps backward with this terrible bug filled release. Sports Interactive should be sued for full refunds. Match engine is filled with bugs, nonsensical player mistakes such as backpass leading to own goals, tactics instructions goes into disarray when switching to new tactics, in game, unrealistic physics when shooting, and many more. How does aWorst FM ever. The series has taken five steps backward with this terrible bug filled release. Sports Interactive should be sued for full refunds. Match engine is filled with bugs, nonsensical player mistakes such as backpass leading to own goals, tactics instructions goes into disarray when switching to new tactics, in game, unrealistic physics when shooting, and many more. How does a company get away with releasing such a bug filled game and then trying to patch things up months after is beyond me. Expand
  15. Dec 7, 2013
    By far one of the worse FM I have played in a long time. They game engine is so broken it's unbelievable due to the fact your strikers aren't actually strikers since they DON'T SCORE! Your goal is coming from your CB in set pieces. For example my CB scored 12 goals (Shawcross) and Berbatov scoring a messily 6 as my lone striker. I have repeated in 2 saves (Completely shifting tactics) andBy far one of the worse FM I have played in a long time. They game engine is so broken it's unbelievable due to the fact your strikers aren't actually strikers since they DON'T SCORE! Your goal is coming from your CB in set pieces. For example my CB scored 12 goals (Shawcross) and Berbatov scoring a messily 6 as my lone striker. I have repeated in 2 saves (Completely shifting tactics) and what annoys me is the change tactics system. WHAT CHANGE! Apart from some extra match plans but NOTHING has change and by this I mean the fact that when you play the same tactic 7-10 games it becomes useless since teams will always beat you if you keep playing that formation even you change the mentality and philosophy. I do love the FM series since I've been playing FM09 but it's just getting to the point where I'm starting to not enjoy the game with too little changes. As the other reviews before me have said, if you want to play a real football managing simulator without the wanting to play as the director of football, just go play FM12 with the best overall engine. Expand
  16. Mar 8, 2014
    FM14 is by far the worst game in the series.
    Graphically the ME looks better, but is very random and illogical.
    No more updates, yet bugs still present. Bloated with too many poorly implemented features. The critics scores are baffling. Not a true representation of this game. FM06 to FM12 highly addictive great games. FM13 was satisfactory at best. FM14 is a pile of steaming turd.
    FM14 is by far the worst game in the series.
    Graphically the ME looks better, but is very random and illogical.
    No more updates, yet bugs still present.
    Bloated with too many poorly implemented features.

The critics scores are baffling. Not a true representation of this game.
    FM06 to FM12 highly addictive great games.
    FM13 was satisfactory at best.
    FM14 is a pile of steaming turd.
    My advice to you is do not buy.
  17. Jul 9, 2014
    What do you get when you polish the dust off FM13? FM14! This game is almost identical to its predecessor. The difference being sliders have been replaced with a more intuitive shout system, a few new small tweaks to contract negotiations and transfers. The match engine has also been tweaked, however this change has made this installation of Football Manager the most frustrating andWhat do you get when you polish the dust off FM13? FM14! This game is almost identical to its predecessor. The difference being sliders have been replaced with a more intuitive shout system, a few new small tweaks to contract negotiations and transfers. The match engine has also been tweaked, however this change has made this installation of Football Manager the most frustrating and unresponsive yet.

I've been a fan of Football manager since Championship Manager, I have enjoyed each iteration and put in up to a thousand hours over the whole series. At first this version seemed really flash, polished and more accessible, the appeal of which probably attributed the high scores from the critics short playing time. Then I got into the first few matches. I thoroughly despised every moment I watched during a match, however powered through hoping to find some enjoyment from this game. I got half way through the season to realise there is no point playing a game so frustrating and unresponsive to my input.

The matches were horrible to watch because no matter what instructionI used, relative to last FM games, it felt very unresponsive. Nothing I intended on doing in the tactics reflected in the match engine. Every change and shout had little effect on changing the game once it had begun. Goals would be scored and conceded mostly from outrageous places like free kicks from the corner flag or very acute angled shots from inside the box or wing backs crossing and "certainly not meaning" to hit it into goal. Almost every one on one situation the goalkeeper wins. So this means the only way to make a practical tactic is around the flanks and crossing. Which I did, and managed to get through half a season. It felt cheated though because I had to work around the match engine to get a decent realistic game happening. I felt like I was forced to exploiting the match engine weaknesses because it was exploiting me by not allowing goals from through balls and players in the box with the ball at their feet.

I begun to slightly enjoy the game by being pigeonholed into flank cross play and trying to exploit the engine every way I could to get a decent result. Nevertheless hit half way through the season and all of a sudden world class players couldn't make a pass, strikers couldn't score from 6 yards with ball at their feet, which became expected anyway, and defenders just stood there while the opponent ran past. When I say couldn't make a pass, I mean I was making 70-75% of my passes and went from having 55% possession to 40%, and these are world class players. All the shouts were revolved around giving easy pass options and holding possession. Players would pass in the completely wrong dircetion, and not just one or two but the whole team. It was as if the Match Engine was determined to make me loss because I was winning too much; It was exploiting me back through rubber banding. Opponents would score at the final minute if I was in control just to add salt to the wound even if I implemented defensive tactics. It felt completely out of my control and unresponsive. It felt as if the matches had been decided before I even started them, which I have had gripes with in other FM games but this time it is a joke. Was sitting where I expected for my team in second place with something like 12-4-4 record. Then I started a losing streak of 5 games all 3-0 or 4-1 against me. Forums say its your tactics, players are tired etc. I changed everything to stop the slump, and I mean everything any forum has ever suggested. Nothing worked. I was going to lose no matter what, so I gave up. The tug of war which lasted half a season between me exploiting the match engine and it exploiting me was finally over, it had won. Previous installments the tug of war was between my team and the opponents teams but this time around the only way to get anything out of this game is by understanding the match engine and how to get around its flaws and playing the game it forces you to. I uninstalled it and looked back at a very frustrating experience. Buyers remorse has settled in that's why this game gets a 2, it is almost exactly the same as previous installments of the series but the match engine has made it almost unplayable; except for you masochists out there.
  18. Sep 8, 2014
    I consider myself to be an expert when it comes to Football Management games. Having played almost all football management games in the history of gaming including greats like Premier Manager, Ultimate soccer manager, LMA Manager but the list could go on forever. For years my heart has been in love with Championship/Football Manager. Now I'll be honest I have never been interested much inI consider myself to be an expert when it comes to Football Management games. Having played almost all football management games in the history of gaming including greats like Premier Manager, Ultimate soccer manager, LMA Manager but the list could go on forever. For years my heart has been in love with Championship/Football Manager. Now I'll be honest I have never been interested much in 3d match engine, although I have in recent years started to use it. For me it's the remarkable detail and accuracy of there database along with their simple yet detailed interface. But Recently its exactly that interface which for the first time in 20 years has caused me to abandon FM. Just to give you an example I have clocked over 1300 hours on fm12&13, but FM14 I got as far as the beta, then sold my full key to someone else because the lack of detail to the new tactics interface has killed it. I mean I was pi**ed when they changed the training in fm13. I liked to fully customise my training schedules to the needs of the players I'm trying to develop, but it didn't kill the game. Here though, in FM14, they expect me to control my team the same way, Barry from row f in the east stand tries every saturday, by shouting! Shouts. Not tactics, SHOUTS. I have watched countless interviews in dressing rooms of top premier league clubs, and in the background you see a board that resembles that of the old champ 01/02 tactics screen with lines going up, down diagonal. I mean you know what you want your players to do, it's clear and when it's not working and you know what to do to fix it. Shouts are a guessing game with very little control.

I am more excited than I have ever been about FM this year. Because I am a Leeds supporter. I hope that FM15 improves, and by improve, I would be happy with fm12 with fm15's database.
  19. Mar 16, 2014
    My score reflects the lack of substantial new things in the series for a few years now. There are obviously wrong game mechanics in use at least since 2006, but instead of fixing them, the developers waste time on media interaction, which 90% of the players ignore, because it simply can't be made interesting.
  20. Nov 6, 2013
    Another year, another Football Manager. Yes I like this kind of games and I've bought several over the years (not every year as I can clearly see there are hardly any big changes, last was FM2012) and every year I wonder whats going to be "the rabbit out of the hat" thats really gonna make a huge different and worth it to spend the full price. Sadly there's not much. Little change here, aAnother year, another Football Manager. Yes I like this kind of games and I've bought several over the years (not every year as I can clearly see there are hardly any big changes, last was FM2012) and every year I wonder whats going to be "the rabbit out of the hat" thats really gonna make a huge different and worth it to spend the full price. Sadly there's not much. Little change here, a few small adds there and of course the updated teams/players of this years competition. Is that all? Yup thats it. If they had stopped at FM2012 and just release an update every year for the teams/players, nobody would bother anymore to buy a new FM game, cause thats one of the main reasons (if not THE reason) someone still would buy this years version: for the new players and updated teams. I think its time that they start to realize that at Sports Interactive and stop this money robbery. So the way I see it, or come up with real notable improvements OR just drop a DLC every year so people can update their game for a small price. So my obvious advice to everyone: wait till the price drops before buying. Expand
  21. enf
    Jan 11, 2015
    Worst game ever. Absolutely unrealistic scores, like my team can win leader and next week lose to last team in table with 1 win in a season with 4-0 score. Or 3rd place in one season and almost relegation in next season with same roster and tactics.
  22. Dec 7, 2013
    Whilst a lot of the interface, transfers, tactics and options are much better than previous versions, including the fact that your players aren't all cursed with horribly low self esteem and ask for transfers constantly. The simple fact is the game engine does some inexplicably stupid things.

It's especially noticeable with defenders, letting balls just roll by them, crossing the pitch erratically and running into each other with surprising repetition. Other gripes include the fact it took over 20 penalty spot kicks for the first one to be scored?! Talk about bad odds... and most of my attacking players seem to want to play nothing but back heeled 15 yard passes.

It's better than 2013, but still an annoyingly buggy product with regards to its game engine.
  23. Nov 28, 2013
    I played FM since the very first CM, I saw the game evolving into a complex wonderful game, getting better and better with time, then we have FM 2014, the worst by far ever made.
    While the interface and some features are very well done, like communication with players, training, press conferences, the fundamental core of the game, football, is just a train wreck.
    In FM 2013 I could see
    In FM 2013 I could see the effects of shouting at my team, of changing tactics and sliders, in this game its all a huge randomness, doesn't really matter if you change anything at all.
    The football simulator is so bad that I can't stop laughing at player movement, its better to just go on holiday and not lose my time. I would say that for each 10 goals scored, 8 of them are absolutely ridiculous, and the amount of goals scored is too high, football is not hockey.

What I find interesting is people rating this game at 7+, we can even see a lot of 9's and 10's, specially by "high reputation game raters" which pretty much define the metacritic score.
    This makes me think about the reliability of this people, when you read people saying "tactically-rich" you have to wonder how can someone fail so much at something that they should be good at.
    The only reason I can accept this scores is because this people never played another football manager, nor understand anything about football, anything at all.
  24. Dec 21, 2013
    Im shattered, have played 2 seasons of FM14 as Man Utd and stopped. I have gone back to playing FM13, I cant believe how screwed up 14 is, I have 24 shots at goal and the other team have 5 shots and I lose the game 1-2. Most shots blast into a defender, team dosent play the selected style or shouts. Players constantly turn over the ball with poor first touch, individual training has becomeIm shattered, have played 2 seasons of FM14 as Man Utd and stopped. I have gone back to playing FM13, I cant believe how screwed up 14 is, I have 24 shots at goal and the other team have 5 shots and I lose the game 1-2. Most shots blast into a defender, team dosent play the selected style or shouts. Players constantly turn over the ball with poor first touch, individual training has become a disaster. whats this unused sub crap in the contracts? Some parts of the game are good but not many.

FM13, the team plays the type of football you instruct and players listen to shouts, The game play is dreadfull in FM14, this is such a let down as each instalment of FM has been awesome over many years.

Some of the player ratings are awfull, young stars have such poor ratings you have to offload them and search for other wonderkids. I Vidic and Jones to have a go and they do sweet FA, carrick and mop head cant create anything, heavens forbid i have to use anderson to show some creativity. Rooney went 12 games without a goal, have over 100 shots but no cigar....................

So its back to FM2013 for me, im tens seasons in and loving it.
  25. Jan 5, 2014
    Been playing since CM and 14 is by far the worst. The changes that have been made to the tactics system have ruined the game and the tactical instructions that have replaced the sliders seem to have little or no effect on this lottery of a game. The match engine is simply laughable. Possession and prolonged attacking are meaningless as opponents will convert 90% of a handful of chances.Been playing since CM and 14 is by far the worst. The changes that have been made to the tactics system have ruined the game and the tactical instructions that have replaced the sliders seem to have little or no effect on this lottery of a game. The match engine is simply laughable. Possession and prolonged attacking are meaningless as opponents will convert 90% of a handful of chances. Goalkeeper errors are far too common, and strikers will continuously miss sitters. Player ratings seem to have no influence, even the most capable passers seem to continuously get caught in possession by far inferior players. Defenders will remain motionless as attackers dribble or pass around them. Infuriating and massively disappointing. Expand
  26. Oct 31, 2013
    I must be stupid! (It'd be rude of you to agree). I promised myself I wouldn't buy an FM until mid-cycle EVER AGAIN... Why? Because FM2013 was broken for 6 full months after release. I was banned several times from SI's draconian forums for politely asking how releasing poor product was good business...

Well, eventually FM2013 became playable, and enjoyable, so silly me got all excited and decided to go against my better judgement and pre-purchase FM2014... Guess what? It's broken. It was broken during "beta"... and now it's, somehow, even MORE broken for it's initial release. It's unplayable.

Personally, I'm tired of being abused by game companies... so I headed over to SI's forum and responded under the "full release feedback" sub-section with one word: "BROKEN". Eh voila! Lifetime ban!

Not only are SI incapable of bug testing... they refuse to tolerate valid, polite, and perfectly understandable customer feedback.

This is the last FM I buy. No, really.
  27. Nov 4, 2013
    Not done enough to justify the price tag.
    This game is one of the worst so far in the series! It not only adds a lot of new features, it also removes features.
  28. Mar 8, 2014
    Absolutely awful, I have no idea how people are still playing it. I can dominate games and create amazingly easy chances which my players miss and the AI score from practically every effort. There is just no way to continue playing.

I think they moved the luckometer to 100% in favour of the AI at least its previous setting of 95% in favour of the AI let me win a few games. This

This should be the last FM ever made!
  29. Nov 4, 2013
    Well I tired to write a review to warn people how rubbish this game is, it nothing even close to a sim of any sort, there are no tactics and the entire system is a dice roll.
    Also anyone that speaks out on steam or forums is banned and ignored.

Its a tran wreck plain and simple, worst yet
  30. Nov 29, 2013
    Worst game ever that you can possibly imagine! Every year, FM has the same bugs over and over again! And FM2014 is no different, or in fact, worse, as Sega has shown that they can't be bothered with the flaws that had bugged users over the years. Here are just some of the problems of this stupid game:
    - Long term injuries devastating specific positions: Tell me how are you going to play the game when 4 of your 5 first team strikers are all out for 3 months each, and your only 2 first choice keepers are out for 2 months together, at the SAME time?
    - You could be on a roll, but when you start losing a game, your team will lose until like there is no end in sight, even if you are using the best team in the world.
    - Abysmal Match Engine: It has in fact regressed since 2012. Your defenders will just stand off when the opponents put in a through ball, and your strikers just can't seem to score for love or for money! In fact, I can say I hit the post more often than I find the net! And the players can't seem to dribble or pass even to a teammate 5 metres away without no pressure, or make meaningful moves.
    - Poor logic overall: Your player can be injured for the past 5 months (and still injured), and yet. you have news saying that the fans are happy with his recent performances! Incredulous! and I'm only scrapping the surface of more ridiculous things in this game!

If you are reading this prior to buying this game, PLEASE DON'T BUY IT! The game makers has shown time and again they are lazy and can't be bothered to address the flaws which has bugged EVERY version! I WILL DEFINITELY be boycotting the Football Manager franchise for good.
  31. Dec 6, 2013
    They released an unfinished game again. It's a shame that we buy the game in October and start playing properly with the February patch. Match engine really sucks and the fixtures are ridiculous(at least for Turkish leagues).
  32. Nov 24, 2013
    After FM13 severely disappointed last year with *very* poor AI and match engine (both worst in the series IMO), this is a marginal improvement but still fails to hit the pinnacle of FM12. The match engine is somehow still worse than 12's, with players running in a mechanical and hilarious manner, but is slightly better than 13's. There are also less stupid mistakes, for both your team andAfter FM13 severely disappointed last year with *very* poor AI and match engine (both worst in the series IMO), this is a marginal improvement but still fails to hit the pinnacle of FM12. The match engine is somehow still worse than 12's, with players running in a mechanical and hilarious manner, but is slightly better than 13's. There are also less stupid mistakes, for both your team and the opposition, but the game just does not flow as naturally as it did in 12. It's almost immersion breaking.

Out of match day, the game is vastly improved. The opposition AI now make and accept more realistic offers for players in comparison to previous installments. Team talks and team meetings also have more of an impact than they did in 13, where every player was manic-depressive. It's also nice to see a lot of younger, more out of the limelight players (e.g. lower leagues) who are showing potential and form over the past 12 or so months actually having their attributes updated, rather than just the bigger clubs. This is specifically something I noticed with Championship players, due to my team currently being there. Training is still very uninvolved in comparison to 2012, but is better than 2013.

Beyond a few little cosmetic changes, such as sleeker AI than 13 and some new squad roles, I am struggling to find anything to justify a full price purchase. The match engine and AI, which has always been a problem with the series, is still neglected in favour of smaller, more gimmicky things such as "classic" mode. SI really need to pull something out of the bag next year, the series has stagnated since 2011-2012 and after 2013's debacle, they've lost at least one fan in me and the demo of 2014 is doing nothing to inspire me to move on from 2012.

Possible sale buy, but currently SI aren't doing anything significant updates, especially in problem areas, justify their yearly price. Market leadership has caused them to become complacent, possibly lazy, and the past two games have shown this. 4/10.
  33. Nov 24, 2013
    For new people who play FM they think this is very good games but for me or other have been play FM so long time,FM2013 and FM2014 is the worst.If go to other forum im sure lot of ppl "frust".The best fm im so satisfied is FM2012 lot wonder kid from youth player i made ).though FM12 game play is not very good enough but its fun.SI games,u have back to basic (change only player becomeFor new people who play FM they think this is very good games but for me or other have been play FM so long time,FM2013 and FM2014 is the worst.If go to other forum im sure lot of ppl "frust".The best fm im so satisfied is FM2012 lot wonder kid from youth player i made ).though FM12 game play is not very good enough but its fun.SI games,u have back to basic (change only player become real when watching the match begin) if you wan make "veteran fm gamer" happy and enjoy to play this fm games. Critic mean doing better.IF You Diligent To Read This. Expand
  34. Dec 26, 2013
    Doesn't deserve the high rating. It is better then FM 13 but that wasn't hard to beat. SI Games and Football Manager seem to be on a cycle. Every few versions is a full, good game. So FM 12 was very good, 13 was "OK" but the match engine let it down, FM 14 is clunky, still has match engine issues and really bad bugs. Imagine not being able to offer more then £1 per week wages, despiteDoesn't deserve the high rating. It is better then FM 13 but that wasn't hard to beat. SI Games and Football Manager seem to be on a cycle. Every few versions is a full, good game. So FM 12 was very good, 13 was "OK" but the match engine let it down, FM 14 is clunky, still has match engine issues and really bad bugs. Imagine not being able to offer more then £1 per week wages, despite being £500 under your wage budget, yes it's still not been sorted. Imagine you like to play a journeyman save, starting unemployed with a low reputation but on FM 14 you can't get any job at all, still!. SI seem to care more for the match engine and fancy graphics, then the core game now. You can see the update notes "300 match engine tweaks, 30 game fixes" for example. SI need some competition, and I think that other companies shouldn't be scared to try as they could be easily competed against. Expand
  35. wzh
    Sep 29, 2014
    Complete disaster of a game. Been playing CM/FM since 1999 and this one is a disaster. Even after so many patches you still see the same frustrating issues such as:

1. Defenders not moving when opponent plays through balls 2. Strikers just cannot score, and hit ridiculous off target shots 3. Full backs letting wide players run past them easily I bought this game when it was

1. Defenders not moving when opponent plays through balls
    2. Strikers just cannot score, and hit ridiculous off target shots
    3. Full backs letting wide players run past them easily

I bought this game when it was initially released and it was buggy as hell and broken. I stopped playing for a bit and waiting for a couple of patches, just to realise that the same core issues are still there. If you try complaining in the forum, you get banned, or fanboys will tell you "it must be your tactics". Really disappointed and I will never buy another FM straight after release. Heck I might never buy another FM again till SI makes some serious improvements.
  36. Feb 25, 2014
    I have played FM series since around 2008, and this year's FM is a lot worse than last years... the defenders just keep running back and staring at the opposition, and your team ends up loosing always from any team, the players keep shooting from the half of the pitch with no reason, or shooting on all the opposition players, making every game the same with the last one... it has becomeI have played FM series since around 2008, and this year's FM is a lot worse than last years... the defenders just keep running back and staring at the opposition, and your team ends up loosing always from any team, the players keep shooting from the half of the pitch with no reason, or shooting on all the opposition players, making every game the same with the last one... it has become arcade, no realism at all, and even worse than Fifa Manager.... don't spend money on this... Expand
  37. Apr 3, 2014
    The most frustrating game you will ever play. So often your managed team has 15 shots on target in a game and you don't score...the opposition however- will go up the pitch in the 80th minute and get the winner.
    If you are playing against ANY half decent side away from home, then forget about keeping a clean sheet. You can set your defence to "drop deeper" and they still push up to the half way line. Setting your team
    fluency to "rigid and disciplined" also has no effect, the opposition will still walk through you like your a bunch of nursery children.

Inside Forward= Cuts inside and shoots EVERY time they get the ball.
    Corner= Goal (The last season I completed with Milan, Adil Rami had 16 league goals)
    Central Defenders= Watching every ball sail over their head as the striker goes through on goal.
    Playing Dortmund/Real Madrid/ Barcelona/ PSG/ Man City away = conceding minimum 5 goals no matter who you are.

Look ive ranted enough, but this game really is TERRIBLE. If you're reading this and haven't bought this game yet, do yourself a favour...Save £35 and buy something far more practical, like an inflatable dartboard. DO NOT BUY.
  38. Apr 29, 2014
    Football Manager 2014 seems to have ticked the wrong boxes this year and is set to be another
    poor game from a once great franchise. Through my experiences my review will be based on the most predominant aspect within the game. This year though, I have only found many bad things about Sports Interactive's FM 2014.
    -Unrealistically tough Match Engine SI seems to have delivered us with

-Unrealistically tough Match Engine
    SI seems to have delivered us with a Match Engine so difficult to interpret it's like trying to break in to Pandora's box. The developers have clearly not taken into account that new players will look to play this game. With my FM 2014 experience I feel like the game decides the result of matches before you even start them which makes it feel infuriating and unrewarding considering it takes so long to create a half decent tactic.

-Poor training system:
    Training your players does not seem to make a scrap of difference on how they perform on the pitch. I still can't wrap my head around the training but it seems pathetically limited considering this is the same Sports Interactive that made Football Manager 2012.

-Players do not seem to respond to tactics
    Even after 'training' your players to understand your philosophies it seems like they don't follow them at all and pretty much every match will see defenders and the goalkeeper passing the ball around to themselves for about 2 minutes before chucking the ball to the midfield, who then pass back to the defence thus repeating, what I call, the cycle of boredom. Often you wont even notice your strikers who seem to just drift about like idiots.

-Updates hinder the game
    Every update so far does not progress the game to fix the crappy match engine, but instead makes common working tactics useless. Seriously try using some FM 2014 tactics made during the games release and you will notice they no longer work. I cant tell if this is SI trying to keep interest high but it comes across as annoying considering the match engine is already clearly broken. And to date (29/04/2014) SI has not done anything about the underwhelming match engine.

That's two years worth of bad games now as FM 2013 fared no better. SI have only dumped minor and mediocre changes to football manager 2013 and dubbed this disappointment as the most addictive football management game out there.

Graphics- 8-10
    Despite the negatives the new 3D match simulator does look nice but the poor Match Engine spoils this.

Creativity- 1-10
    The game offers little in regards to tactics and punishes those who think outside the box.

New user friendly - 0-10
    Horrible for beginners. enough said.

Replayability- 4-10
    Once you realize the problems in your team do not lie with you but the broken match engine, the game becomes bleak and uninteresting.

Overall score - 3.4/10
    A largely dull game that specializes in frustration rather than management. Poor effort.

TSarcher.
  39. May 6, 2014
    don't normally write reviews but felt compelled to after playing this game.been playing fm games since champ man and its sad to see the decline of such a great franchise. tactics are completely random and confusing, defenders cant defend, strikers cant score, I know everyones already said it but 30 shots on goal cant score, opponent has one shot on target scores, match engine is adon't normally write reviews but felt compelled to after playing this game.been playing fm games since champ man and its sad to see the decline of such a great franchise. tactics are completely random and confusing, defenders cant defend, strikers cant score, I know everyones already said it but 30 shots on goal cant score, opponent has one shot on target scores, match engine is a shambles. there are just too many things wrong with this game to list here, think anyone considering buying should reconsider. Expand
  40. Aug 5, 2014
    this game absolutely a joke, worst game ever. I played this game since CM 2006 and this game is unacceptable. How the fark Adios think they created a good game? The match engine is a nice troll. Training and Tactic change are a joke, made everything random and players look like idiot.
    - Defender do nothing, no tackle, no closing down, esp fullback, everything only stop when opposition shoot or score
    - I never a see a game where the feed back said so many players "error prone" and "make alot of mistake". This is f*cking stupid
    - Striker CANT score, too many game with >30 shots and score 1 2 or NO goals, and that **** happen again and again and again
    - And yeah, we lost so many stupid game with opposition score 1 goals with only 1 SHOT, and IT HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.
    - PLayes atttribute mean nothing with this game
    - THis game **** suck, dont deserved 1 point at all, and i dont even know why that some stupid magazine think this game would be 9 or 10 :lol:,
  41. Jun 28, 2014
    This is an awful game. If you have played the other FM games you will quite fast notice that this is the worst game they have done so far. All the good reviews from the "professional" media just show us the fact that they have never even tried out FM14.
  42. Oct 31, 2013
    Pros:
    - Big improvement on FM13 (user interface and tactics).
    - Smoother day-to-day transition, faster online play. - More conversation options with players/staff/press. Cons: - A visual improvement on previous versions only. - Added new player roles, removed sliders and advertised it as a big change to the tactical system. - 3D matches still lagging behind similar games offered
    Pros:
    - Big improvement on FM13 (user interface and tactics).
    - Smoother day-to-day transition, faster online play.
    - More conversation options with players/staff/press.

Cons:
    - A visual improvement on previous versions only.
    - 3D matches still lagging behind similar games offered by other developers.

Verdict:
    More of the same, but with a newer, sleeker feel to it. Definitely an improvement on the disaster that was FM13, but not worth all the praise it is getting.
  43. Apr 22, 2014
    New FM, same looking ME with all the previous version's bugs in it. Every since the 3d ME has come into the series you're no longer left to your imagination thinking about players acting like real life footballers. For the last several years though you've been able to see the ME in action and boy did it throw up some comical moments of players running out of play for no reason, runningNew FM, same looking ME with all the previous version's bugs in it. Every since the 3d ME has come into the series you're no longer left to your imagination thinking about players acting like real life footballers. For the last several years though you've been able to see the ME in action and boy did it throw up some comical moments of players running out of play for no reason, running away from the ball, passing the ball straight to the opposition, throw ins going to the opposition more often than not, sometimes your player won't even be aiming at one of your players just straight to the opposition from the edge of your penalty area.

FM14 however shows that no progress has been made since that first version in making the players on the pitch behave any more human. They still bump into each other, awkwardly tackle each other and corners just turn into pinball because the bll and players simply don't act realistically. Back around FM10/11 the game was solid. It seems that since then though SI hve refused to clean up any of the bugs and just added more onto it while spending all their time on man management trough player talks and teamtalks that don't have a long lasting effect on your game as well as completely diluting the training so you're left wondering if it's actually having any effect on your players or not.

I only got FM14 because it was on a Steam sale but for the first time in ten years of playing the series I feel ripped off.

I'll finish comparing the 'critics' reviews who seem to've been playing a completely different game to me, to the media reports in my current save. I'm 23rdin the league without a win in what's now 12 games. "This recent poor run of form have seen the side fall to just a top half placing and whilst this is still better than many critics expected, the fans are worried that the early season promise is going to be replaced with late season disappointment." It's a fitting bug to describe the game. Critics love it for being a polished turd but the fans are seeing through it. Nothing will make me buy another FM until a new, and I mean brand new not just an updated version from the year before, Me has been designed for the game to actually make it play realistically
  44. Nov 6, 2013
    Better than FM13, worse than FM2012, doesn't even come close to earlier FM's. Might as well download updated squads if you can find for 2012 and earlier FM's rather than paying for this.
  45. Dec 16, 2013
    Match engin is stuipd freekick got bug goalkeep dont use his own area player kick ball out of field for no reason stupid CB FB stupid

since i play CM-FM this is first one that i reply for negative score like this you frustrate me out in every dimension lack of deep detail in tactic what else yes unrealistic score chance balls to woodwork like magnet playyer is stupid

frustrate me out in every dimension lack of deep detail in tactic what else

yes unrealistic score chance

balls to woodwork like magnet

playyer is stupid dont do as told stupid pass

rarely low cross or short pass to score inside box

stupid close down issues

unreal stat

too less future prospect

player too stupid too play good move like 12 & 13

And a lot more i dont brother type anymore

why it is getting who is your senior programer & game designer tell them them for stupid POV

it not hard to tune up if you really want to fix game bug with all money you have in hand
    **** them
  46. Feb 24, 2014
    Two main reasons for a 0. First of all, SI made changes to the tactics, but way too extreme. People easily gets confused with tons of instructions which they have to understand through hard trying filled with frustration. Such changes made the game boring and even annoying sometimes. In the past, I can directly adopt my philosophy to a new tactic and try it out on the pitch and makeTwo main reasons for a 0. First of all, SI made changes to the tactics, but way too extreme. People easily gets confused with tons of instructions which they have to understand through hard trying filled with frustration. Such changes made the game boring and even annoying sometimes. In the past, I can directly adopt my philosophy to a new tactic and try it out on the pitch and make adjustments. Now, however, I'm more like taking a chemistry class and mixing all kinds of stuff together desperately hoping that "this time it may work".

Secondly, the match engine in FM2014 is incredibly ridiculous. While no major improvements are made, all kinds of problems absolutely ruined the gameplay. When FM14 first came out, poor defense no matter what instructions you use, strange turn-overs and horrible mistakes, these kind of situations occurs very often. And now it is 14.22 and I find that the opposition goal keeper is like superman no matter who he is. I can have 30 shots and 25 of them hit the target but no goal, and the opposition made one counter-attack so I lose. If this happens once for a while, I won't be too disappointed, but I can have several matches in a row losing like this. As I said before, I used to test football philosophy in FM, now I'm just fighting the match engine. I searched online about tactics and all I got was how to use weakness of the ME. Come on, I bought this for 50 bucks and this is what it's worth?
  47. Apr 22, 2014
    added new feature but the fact they taken the majority of tactics away and match engine has players doing retarded things such as player standing and **** around with the ball, and heading up field giving ball away to other team when there huge space to bring ball down to make a run and several players are either over or underrated make it the biggest waste of money and deleted game afteradded new feature but the fact they taken the majority of tactics away and match engine has players doing retarded things such as player standing and **** around with the ball, and heading up field giving ball away to other team when there huge space to bring ball down to make a run and several players are either over or underrated make it the biggest waste of money and deleted game after one season and gone back to FM13 Expand
  48. Apr 25, 2014
    as a big fan of FM for years i believe FM 2012 was the best so far since i started playing. FM 2013 was really bad and i bought FM 2014 believing that they would fix some ridiculous things in the new version. they were advertising that the wages and so on are more realistic now etc. So this is my list of problems and the reasons why im not buying FM again because i feel they have no ideaas a big fan of FM for years i believe FM 2012 was the best so far since i started playing. FM 2013 was really bad and i bought FM 2014 believing that they would fix some ridiculous things in the new version. they were advertising that the wages and so on are more realistic now etc. So this is my list of problems and the reasons why im not buying FM again because i feel they have no idea how to produce games:

1. you start the game in year 2013 and almost no team has budget to buy players or even the wages to get cheap FREE PLAYERS. how ridiculous is that? also you have to wait at least 2-3 seasons before you get free players worth signing even for teams of the 2nd-3rd division on free transfers. no players available on free transfers. ridiculous. when u play at year 2020 you can win the champions league with swansea because u can get world class players on free transfers every season and the wages of the teams become realistic.

Ridiculous 2: I was playing with the French site valenciennes and i was 3rd!!!!! in my second season there A COUPLE of matches before the end of the season and my status was untouchable because it was the best campaign they've ever had in their history. i sold players for 10-15 million and i got no wages or transfer budget at all. WHY? finally the chairman messaged my that im gonna have to win 5 points in the next 3 games or he will fire me. WHAT? i didn't make it and i was fired. STILL DONT GET THAT.

Rediculous 3: usually when u sign for a team mid-season you realise that there are positions that there is no one player who can play there. even a decent one. how im gonna deal with that? to get defenders to play as wingers? they want you to do the impossible with that squat though.

rediculous 4: Scouters tell you that a player is a quality player and when you sign them the assistant manager says that he is a decent player. both scouters and assistant manager have high rating in judging player's ability. WHY?

rediculous 5: When you are unemployed and you are looking for a team you might be unemployed for 2-3 season even if u had good results previously. it is a game and im playing to have fun SI giniuses!!!

rediculous 6: my computer is worth 2 grand and the loading speed to move from Monday to Tuesday is redicoulous and also the drop box that comes down every time u press 'continue' makes me want to quit the game.

rediculous 7: I want to be able to sign players from france and portugal because they are cheap but i don't want to have those leagues in my playable leagues because it will reduce the game's performance. therefore if u want to play england spain and italy for ex you will have to join a big team to be able to sign good players from these countries. look for talents in countries that are not playable. you are not gonna find too many.

ridiculous 8: the pointless interviews when you are unemployed is the worst thing in the game i believe. usually they don't employ you or if they do they might have a rediculous squad and empty positions and they are 15th in the league 10 games before the end and they ask u to qualify for EURO cup because they are Lyon olympique or whatever. is it possible?

Also the instructions to players individually and the way you want them to play is confusing. in FM 2012 it was much better. also most of the times the team performance becomes worse if not on the default.

THIS GAME IS BAD. REALLY BAD. im not buying this game again and i was one of the biggest funs of this game until last year. never again
  49. Nov 21, 2013
    Absolutely disgusting game made by an absolutely disgusting company. Nothing but excuse after excuse as to why they made this junk. Absolutely horrible game that should be avoided at all costs. You have been warned.
  50. Dec 12, 2013
    I used to love FM and CM. But playing FM 14 is like having a nightmare. Worst game from you. Waste of money. I´m gonna play some of the old manager games, much more fun
  51. Nov 3, 2013
    Better interface but unplayable match engine, lots of bugs, hockey scores, million shots, just garbage. I had few crash dumps and parsing errors so we have to wait for the hotfix.
  52. Nov 3, 2013
    After 80 hours gameplay i have to say that this has to be the biggest let down in gaming history for me. I have been a massive fan of the FM series since FM 2005 and after FM 2013 was a stinker I was hoping SI would come out with a much improved game... but no, the game is currently bugged to crap.
    The good things about FM14? The layout makes the game easy to navigate and it throws a lot more useful statistic at you. Players in the match itself are much improved looking more realistic animation wise and the shirts look better than ever before. Conversations with players and the media is much better giving you more interesting answer options than in previous versions.
    The bad things about this game? As already said, the bugs. The player performance ratings are currently broken, players are rating on average 4.5 6.0 every game even though they are performing well and not making mistakes, SI have hot fixed this in a update but its still not working. The new tactics system is a load of rubbish now that they have removed the sliders. You can't help feel that the match engine overall is broken, using a 4-4-2 formation I won 9 out of 10 matches then I lost 4-1, 3-0, 2-1 3-0 then drew 1-1 against a team at the bottom of the table.

When FM13 was released we all know that it was struggling with issues until updates were made further down the line, all I can do is hope that FM14 will have updates that will make the game playable and enjoyable, until then this game can gather dust on my shelf.
  53. Nov 20, 2013
    Poor match engine, like in football manager 2013..
    the best match engine I had ever play, only in football manager 2012
    and tactical features..... not good enough.
  54. Nov 5, 2013
    Let me make first some things clear:I am member of the FM community since FM2008(in 2008 i dumped the EA manager in hope for fewer bugs and a more realistic approach on the pitch)!I played them all and until 2013 i was realy satisfied.2013 was realy streamlined and the first FM with many bugs.FM2014 takes this a step further.Many bugs(on and off the pitch) plus a more streamlined versionLet me make first some things clear:I am member of the FM community since FM2008(in 2008 i dumped the EA manager in hope for fewer bugs and a more realistic approach on the pitch)!I played them all and until 2013 i was realy satisfied.2013 was realy streamlined and the first FM with many bugs.FM2014 takes this a step further.Many bugs(on and off the pitch) plus a more streamlined version of a manager.Lets ignore the bugs first.They will influence the final verdict but when you read this a patch will hopefully killed this bugs.Lets concentrade on the corefeature:The matchengine!Nearly EVERYTHING is broken!The positioning is a real mess for example.You and your opponent will score many goals while a little questionmark is over your head how this goal was scored.For me it was realy rediculous when my winger starts to play like CR.Maxi Beister from HSV.Its a good player but not a great player.Scored many times because he dribbles many times while the defenense is realy passive.When there is a defender near him because the defenders will regulary lose sight of the oponent.That and the poor marking/positioning will make it possible for both teams to create an massive amount of shots.Many of them will be on target(most of the time 50% on target in my case).This is real football?REALY??Passing is broken too.Players will try to pass through 3 opponents with ZERO chance of succes.Doesnt matter what you strategy or commands for this player might be, this will ruin everything.The keepers are some kind of broken too.While they are extrem strong when it comes to saves they suffer from bad positioning and passiveness too when you opponent crosses.You and your opponent will score many goals after crosses or corners because there is no balance.All in all this game is a piece of crap.Not better than the EA ripoff.Every good review out there is a lie or from fanboys.If this is the way the FM goes than this is my exit.Not worth a buy, stick with FM2012.Its so far the best FM ever. Expand
  55. Jan 6, 2015
    I can't believe that i am writing a negative review for football manager game, but i've had enough.I don't know they did it, but they did- it's completely unplayable. Some points:
    1. I have about 150 million pounds spare for transfer but for some reason can't adjust finances to increase salaries, so i can't sign almost anyone unless i sign him as a key player. Pretty stupid imo.
    2. Tactics got a little better from one side but much worse from the other. You are pretty limited in the orders you can give to your players for some reason, and it is very frustrating.
    3.The major issue: you have NO WAY to defend yourself against crosses and/or corners, and it's a deal breaker. It doesn't matter what tactics you use or how good your team is, you will always concede from crosses and corners. Even your 1.90 defenders with heading 19 and jumping reach 20 won't get the ball, but their striker with his 1.75 and heading 15 always will.. I am playing manager games since 1998 and it has never been so bad, so farewell for now.
  56. Mar 2, 2015
    Sorry i have to give this badly made excuse of a game 0 !!!!!! yes 0.

so many things wrong i do not have the time to write them all down so i will just give my 5 best reasons for rating 0. 1. Ryan Giggs contact is expiring and the greedy sod wants 250k p/w the board will only allow 175k p/w so he plans on leaving, Everton put in a bid which i can do nothing about.Now when he leaves
    Sorry i have to give this badly made excuse of a game 0 !!!!!! yes 0.

1. Ryan Giggs contact is expiring and the greedy sod wants 250k p/w the board will only allow 175k p/w so he plans on leaving, Everton put in a bid which i can do nothing about.Now when he leaves and next time i am playing Everton he is in their team and i looked at him to discover he signed for them on 20kp/w ????

2. Wayne Rooney scores 5 in a game and has 2 assists in a 9-0 thumping of Fulham this is the one and only time i have seen a player get a rating of 10 for a match, i praise him in the after match team talk only for the rest of the teams morale to go to abysmal and almost all those who played in the match ask to leave!!!

3. A 16 year old player at Inverness is valued at 26k so i bid 100k get refused and so on till i hit 1mil and at this point i ask to discuss and they say they will start discussions at wait for it 2.5mil !!!!! REALLY? as if.

4. Lose the match that you totally dominate to an own goal, i'm talking 35 shots at goal 15 on target 10 ccc and yet still lose to that 1 shot at goal and this almost always happens to be the bottom club.

5. Then we have the game that you know you are going to lose right at kickoff, one of your guys smashes the ball off the other then they both just stand there for what i can only assume is the other guy debating why his team mate just smashed the ball off him. Then we have EVERY pass will now just go to an opposition player(even goal kicks) EVERY defensive header will go straight to an opposition player EVERY throw-in will go to an opposition player. None of your defenders will tackle the whole match except that one time when he tackles the forward running into 2-3 defenders so he can just knock the ball into the path of his unmarked partner.

I played this series through all the 90s when it was CM stopping 2001 and did not play again till this version and i have to say things have went backwards. I will never buy another version EVER that's how bad i rate this game.

Some people tell me they like the 3D match engine but i will still give 0 as i have seen many games with better graphics.
  57. Oct 12, 2014
    How to waste time? Play FM 14!
    Seasons and Playoffs are totally rigged... example: playoff vs a worst team: 1-1 (own goal of my gk), second match: 1-4 (was 0-4 after 20 mins). WHAT'S THE FKING POINT OF THIS??? Oh wait, my team was 40-1 for the promotion, maybe that's why LMAO.
  58. Nov 5, 2013
    I didn't play Football Manager 13, but I spent (and still spend ehehe) a lot of hours playing FM12 and I play FM since FM2007. Well, doesn't matter. What I want to say is that from FM12 to FM14 there is no difference, no new features, nothing...
    Shame on you SI Games
  59. Feb 20, 2014
    Still a good game but I don't see the big changes anymore. There is no feelings says that the 3D engine is any better from what it was on FM 2013, to be honest I think it's worse. I don't think I will be buying this game anymore if SI doesn't come up with something big. I hope that someday a good game like this can come to consoles like PlayStation and Xbox.
  60. Nov 7, 2013
    Unfortunately, the game has not improved and its still too easy, since 2008 I have always been able to take any English division 4 club into the champions league within 6 seasons without fail. Promotion, promotion, mid-table in the championship, promotion, midtable/champions league qualification.

5-6 seasons to champions league qualification with any div 4 club and always using the same 4-5-1 tactics, default. All you do is trade well between seasons and the rest is a snore fest.
  61. Sep 11, 2014
    The match engine is a disaster - more like a random score generator. Tactics and shouts are almost entirely ignored by all of your players - and the thing you just told them not to do, they will do.

I can no longer justify purchasing a Football Manager game until I am shown evidence of TWO GAMES IN A ROW where the match engine actually works.

SI take the money and run...
  62. Dec 13, 2013
    I have been playing the FM franchise since 09 and i have to say it is by far my most favorite simulation game around. FM14 is a solid game, no doubt about that but I feel like Sega have yet to really invest enough time and money into making this game different to the previous ones. there is a slight change in Graphics but still the in game graphics are not great. this game like the othersI have been playing the FM franchise since 09 and i have to say it is by far my most favorite simulation game around. FM14 is a solid game, no doubt about that but I feel like Sega have yet to really invest enough time and money into making this game different to the previous ones. there is a slight change in Graphics but still the in game graphics are not great. this game like the others will still consume a huge amount of your time. Expand
  63. Nov 5, 2013
    Like the game and played it for a full season now. It has flaws however... First you win and all are in awe then you lose a few matches and still well above standard for that team and players want to talk that they think you are not doing well. Thank god they are all settled with the exact same conversation line "I am going to turn it around, hold on, it will be ok" And then the littleLike the game and played it for a full season now. It has flaws however... First you win and all are in awe then you lose a few matches and still well above standard for that team and players want to talk that they think you are not doing well. Thank god they are all settled with the exact same conversation line "I am going to turn it around, hold on, it will be ok" And then the little peeps are happy again... But come on.... 6 of them in a row.... while in 5th place with a team that never ever would be in 5th place in real life? 1 Player even asked for a transfer and left... It doesn't make sence at all. I thought AI could be way better then that.

And why o why am I getting Brazilian players all the time.... Every day someone offers a Brazilian player to me. At first I was OK, but now wen I see a Brazilian There are other nations to you know!
  64. Nov 28, 2013
    I will admit that I have not played any games in the series except for Football Manager Handheld and I really enjoy it, but due to me not having a high-end PC the saving is very slow. In-game AI is also not very smart at times, but these do not really deter from the experience.
  65. Nov 14, 2013
    This game is so complex it could make your head spin...There is really no point approaching it with the usual perspective since clearly it is quite different from most video games...Also there is no point of approaching it if you don't have plenty of leisure time...If you are a casual gamer looking for quick satisfaction look elsewhere...The game has the most steep learning curveThis game is so complex it could make your head spin...There is really no point approaching it with the usual perspective since clearly it is quite different from most video games...Also there is no point of approaching it if you don't have plenty of leisure time...If you are a casual gamer looking for quick satisfaction look elsewhere...The game has the most steep learning curve possible...You must approach it as if you are going to undertake a huge commitment which involve lots of reading and stubbornness....You need the kind of discipline that usually is not needed in ordinary life to get successful...You are facing a ruthless machine that if you don't understand exactly what each term means and it is connected to other terms you are going to make a mess...First of all,before anything else you must be adept with English to find your way around all the subtleties abundant here...Each time you are faced with a term you are not familiar with you must stop a make sure you know what it means...The major problem you are going to find is the urgency to start playing while you are not ready to face to music yet...Starting to play unready and you get punished severely...Your immediate reflexes would blame the game for whatever reason...But you must bear in mind that it has been programmed for many years,each year turning it into the monster it is today...While facing a monster you need better tools to beat it...So you must undertake a long preparation before you dive into the deep water...A good start is to take a small club without too much hassle and see if you manage to be competitive...The moment you feel you are starting to loose control you must stop and regain composure...Don't blame a monster for being a beast...Instead find how to bite it piece by piece...
    I give points for the fact the game support having 3D stereoscopic match engine which makes it quite a treat to watch...Also it has a huge intelligent community that invent all kinds of giz-mos to make it a better and more pleasant experience...For example I rate it as nine because it doesn't have a surround sound support which hinder the immersion...But I have found a sound pack from earlier versions that makes up for it...That's the most stunning attribute of this game...If you find something not to your liking you can be sure that someone else thought about it before and fix it...That's how committed people to it...So with a lot of patience, little by little it is going to govern your life...You would be less inclined to fulfill any social responsibilities you might have and eventually get divorce...But guess what....You are still going to be happy left alone and make love with this game....So I would like to introduce you your future bride...9 ot of ten is not bad...not bad at all...Ciao
  66. Oct 31, 2013
    it is better than the other ff13 with some good improvement. it is not a perfect game by far but the best football sim out there. So if you are a new to the serie get this one you will have a good time. my personal view is that this game can be compared to a civiliation serie not to pardox game such as the excellent crusader king 2 or the europa universlast 4. to sum up this is a halveit is better than the other ff13 with some good improvement. it is not a perfect game by far but the best football sim out there. So if you are a new to the serie get this one you will have a good time. my personal view is that this game can be compared to a civiliation serie not to pardox game such as the excellent crusader king 2 or the europa universlast 4. to sum up this is a halve way between a casual and hardcore simulatiob game. Expand
  67. Oct 30, 2013
    Ancora una volta sigames riuscita a migliorare un prodotto che sul mercato non ha concorrenza da sempre, Football Manager 2014, se siete amanti del genere possiamo assicurarvi che questo gioco vi terrà letteralmente incollati al monitor per un anno intero riuscendo ad appassionarvi sempre di più man mano che la vostra carrierà da allenatore si protrarrà nel tempo. Insomma i fan dellaAncora una volta sigames riuscita a migliorare un prodotto che sul mercato non ha concorrenza da sempre, Football Manager 2014, se siete amanti del genere possiamo assicurarvi che questo gioco vi terrà letteralmente incollati al monitor per un anno intero riuscendo ad appassionarvi sempre di più man mano che la vostra carrierà da allenatore si protrarrà nel tempo. Insomma i fan della serie questa volta non avranno nulla che li deluderà, anzi troveranno solo novità che li renderanno entusiasti ancora una volta della scelta fatta. Expand
  68. Sep 2, 2014
    When it comes to football manager simulators, there isn't any better series than the Football Manager series. Especially now that EA has ceased releasing new FIFA Manager games, there won't be any competition left for SI. Although this somewhat worries me, every new FM release typically includes a plethora of gameplay and match engine improvements. FM14 is as addicting as its predecessorsWhen it comes to football manager simulators, there isn't any better series than the Football Manager series. Especially now that EA has ceased releasing new FIFA Manager games, there won't be any competition left for SI. Although this somewhat worries me, every new FM release typically includes a plethora of gameplay and match engine improvements. FM14 is as addicting as its predecessors (currently 486 hours played). The game is highly realistic and includes very accurate player stats. The match engine is far from perfect, though. My main complaint is that, at times, players make the weirdest mistakes. Expand
  69. Jun 1, 2014
    If you want a football management game then there is only really one option nowadays, and this series is it. It is leagues ahead of what little competition remains in the genre and, as with each new instalment; there are a few new features to slightly tweak and streamline the gameplay, as well as better integration with Steam to make online multiplayer easier to set up.

To be honest

To be honest however, unless you are really worried about having all the up to date players, you could pick up any of the Football Manager titles since the 3D match engine was introduced in about 2010 and it would make much difference. My hope is that at some point either this series or another tries to do something different as, having played management games since I was about ten years old, I am starting to lose interest in the genre.
  70. Nov 3, 2013
    I cant play this game to save my life, but the depth here is nothing short of insane. This game will definitely be great in the right hands. One of the best sports sims out there.
  71. Dec 13, 2013
    FM series are core games. They save their basic outlines each turn, so we must kaccept the fact that FM14 likes FM13, FM13 likes FM12 etc. Some of the points are; the game's 3D motor is evolved since 2013 and in FM2014; we can't see any difference. About transfer offers, the "put out a feeler" option is much much better. Now, we can get rid of frustrating transfer expectancies and makeFM series are core games. They save their basic outlines each turn, so we must kaccept the fact that FM14 likes FM13, FM13 likes FM12 etc. Some of the points are; the game's 3D motor is evolved since 2013 and in FM2014; we can't see any difference. About transfer offers, the "put out a feeler" option is much much better. Now, we can get rid of frustrating transfer expectancies and make more estimates which closer to reality. The prizes of footballers are a bit exaggerated (especially the wages), but generally acceptable.
    Not much positive; but the game still meets expectations with great challenge.
  72. Nov 3, 2013
    It still has a long way to go but comparing it to FM 13 it has greatly improved. Although they are not always right (Like the case of Christopher Samba who became a superstar in the game but ended up in the lower division in reality) but at least 85% of the time they're spot on.
  73. Nov 27, 2013
    This is a Sega PC game, at least the one that I have. I haven't seen a game quite anything like this. The game uses databases like Fritz 13 does. And, if you have a change of mind, about stopping a game, and starting again, you can look unusual online. I was playing Bayern F. C., before the P. C. crash, and I was wanting Rummenigge, the Club President, to be the icon that he is.
  74. Nov 26, 2013
    Best version to date!!!

I think the overview in the game is great and the more options in the game, offer you a greater experience than previos versions of this fantastic game... I cannot let it go, i simply have to build up my team and the focus on youth is just super. I really enjoy it and cannot wait untill tomorrow, so i can play again.. I am a FM veteran and close to 40 years
    Best version to date!!!

I am a FM veteran and close to 40 years old, but i feel like a kid again
  75. Dec 28, 2013
    Still the best football management game out there, only some minor bugs that are going to be ironed out in the following patches. As a developer myself(not game unfortunately) I can only dream of achieving this level of craftsmanship.
  76. Mar 8, 2014
    I had some doubts before I got it because of the bad user review, but after playing for 50 hours so far, I have to say this game is fun, addictive and not for the faint heart. Man this game is the most complex game I have ever played with. Its crazy, I have played for 14 hours without stop, wrote 3 A4 pages with my plans and notes etc. I love these kind of games. Whoever gives bad score isI had some doubts before I got it because of the bad user review, but after playing for 50 hours so far, I have to say this game is fun, addictive and not for the faint heart. Man this game is the most complex game I have ever played with. Its crazy, I have played for 14 hours without stop, wrote 3 A4 pages with my plans and notes etc. I love these kind of games. Whoever gives bad score is just simply suck at this game. Oh and btw those "game-breaking bugs" have been fixed. Game is fluid, did not see any bugs yet and I also feel that the match engine works realistic-ly, and it behaves as I control tactics very well. Expand
  77. Jan 23, 2014
    There's a still a lot of work to go on. I just think the are deliberately prolonging the improvement of the game, so they could improve them in years to come... But i think that as always its a lot of fun... I enjoyed almost every minute of it. I would like if they could just hire me for one day, to explain them all what to add in the game! :)
  78. Jun 9, 2014
    I like this game but, it's not designed for a novice who has never played Soccer before; even worse to be trying to manage a soccer team. Wrestling with the board is the least of my problems. Figuring out how to positively impact the teams ability to win is my biggest problem. It would have been nice if they allowed an option to own a team rather than sitting there fighting the boardI like this game but, it's not designed for a novice who has never played Soccer before; even worse to be trying to manage a soccer team. Wrestling with the board is the least of my problems. Figuring out how to positively impact the teams ability to win is my biggest problem. It would have been nice if they allowed an option to own a team rather than sitting there fighting the board all the time. Also, while this game is far more comprehensively detailed (IE. one can use more and train for formations for a match; this can not be done in Fifa Manager) and I'd say even more realistic than Fifa Manager, I think I will be sticking with the Fifa Manager franchise until they make this game a little less hardcore; I easily lost 10 hours of my life and I didn't even make it to the regular season! But, I will admit that this game is pleasantly immersive. Just do not forget to leave autosaves on and save backups. No matter how great your computer is, the game will crash and the save will get corrupted; manually going into the files:
    Documents>>Sports Interactive>>Football Manager 2014>>Games>>Restore Previous Version will be the only way to salvage a would be ruined game save.

But if I was aspiring to be a real Futbol Manager, this would be the game to tinker with above all others...
  79. Mar 17, 2014
    Getting more complicated, player price is sky price when want to purchase players. Getting better and better for FM lover...................................................
  80. Jul 14, 2014
    A great game. But i feel Sports Interactive could have done better. The game seems a lot slower on my Macbook than the 2013 version. The new features arent that impressive either. So at this moment i rather play 2013 with an updated database.

If you dont own Football Manager yet, do buy it though. It simply the best Football Manager game.
  81. Sep 1, 2014
    I've read a lot of these reviews and as well as others I've been playing FM since CM. The game has not improved since 2013 or prior in terms of the match engine and the interface. I get the feeling that because FM2014 is a lot more advanced than the others and you can't just put the best team out and expect to win, people are reviewing this from a perspective that they cannot win. As I'veI've read a lot of these reviews and as well as others I've been playing FM since CM. The game has not improved since 2013 or prior in terms of the match engine and the interface. I get the feeling that because FM2014 is a lot more advanced than the others and you can't just put the best team out and expect to win, people are reviewing this from a perspective that they cannot win. As I've said it is a lot more advanced and there are many factors that need more attention when going into match and managing your club. I have based this review on a positive and negative perspective. Expand
  82. Oct 31, 2015
    I have spent many hours on this game. I originally started playing championship manager 2002 ( i think it was). The idea is great, gameplay as good as can be i guess without competition. The big let down is the simulation aspect, which is a pretty huge part of it. During the match the sim is incredibly poor with odd things happening constantly. Tactics should be a big part of the game, butI have spent many hours on this game. I originally started playing championship manager 2002 ( i think it was). The idea is great, gameplay as good as can be i guess without competition. The big let down is the simulation aspect, which is a pretty huge part of it. During the match the sim is incredibly poor with odd things happening constantly. Tactics should be a big part of the game, but the game gives you an unfair/unneeded advantage at the start. You can play the worst team with worst tactics but still win 3-0 on all games. After those first 6 or so matches it changes, but as no matter what system you use you always win you don't really see how bad your tactic is. Making it very hard to tweak, or find a solution to your poor form. Don't get me wrong, i have gotten promotion with teams such as weston super mare several times, so i am not bad at the game. But that aspect ruins it a bit for me. Also attributes don't really do much. All the time i see pace 6 outrun a pace 12 player, or a 6 header head a ball past a 14 header defender. Players with low attributes become topscorers etc Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2014
    Football Manager 2014 feels more like a lifestyle than a game. I just doubt thee need of yearly iterations in the era of DLCs. [Feb 2014]
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    Whether you are looking for a coaching career or a simply deep experience as a manager with no frills, the latest incarnation of the series created by Sports Interactive will meet once again to your need.
  3. Games Master UK
    Dec 25, 2013
    It's a deep game focused on keeping kickball obsessives happy - and succeeds at doing just that. [Jan 2014, p.82]