7.6

1. Aug 14, 2013
    I just can't seem to get into it. I feel like the combat is really weird and it feels quite buggy in some parts, for a PvP game it is kind of a big deal to me. But it's fun to play every once in a while.
  2. Aug 6, 2013
    Gameplay.. nice, skillsystems/cosmetical systems.. great, replayabilty without getting bored.. meh.
    With friends its great but doing solo there isnt a massive amont of content keeping you addicted.
  3. May 3, 2013
    This is a funny game, but there is a low amount of players playing, a few numbers of characters available, lots of bugs (my score and experience points are not changing) and there are only few game modes.
  4. Apr 28, 2013
    Pros:
    -Balanced PvP combat, with concepts regarding pvp as WoW arenas.
    -Balanced by the greatest arena WoW Pro Players. -6 unique classes to pick from -Interesting leveling system, that revolves around changing stats, and not improving overall as we're used with mmo Cons: -Strange Animations and interactions with the environment itself -Hard to get into if you're totally new to
    Pros:
    -Balanced PvP combat, with concepts regarding pvp as WoW arenas.
    -Balanced by the greatest arena WoW Pro Players.
    -6 unique classes to pick from

Cons:
    -Strange Animations and interactions with the environment itself
    -Hard to get into if you're totally new to WoW arenas (for example)
    -Nothing to offer besides Arena or Battlegrounds to speak in WoW terms no story and no PvE.
    -The arenas sometime feel to big and sometimes feel too small, I never had the feeling that it was the proper size.

Side Notes:
    -Game reminds me of Rakion: Chaos Force, just because it's real time skill based combat, but it resembles more with Guild Wars in mind.
  5. Apr 24, 2013
    This game reminds me of WoW's PvP but without all of the MMO trappings. Its a mediocre game. Really nothing else to add. Except I have to have 150 characters to post it.
  6. Dec 31, 2012
    An interesting game but unfun gameplay. Teams are often imbalanced which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that once the attacking team reaches the other's spawn, spawn camping ensues. At this point, it is mostly a waiting game for the losing team to leave or wait for 40 team deaths to occur, which rarely occurs before the timer runs out in TDM. Be prepared to enjoy 20 minutesAn interesting game but unfun gameplay. Teams are often imbalanced which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that once the attacking team reaches the other's spawn, spawn camping ensues. At this point, it is mostly a waiting game for the losing team to leave or wait for 40 team deaths to occur, which rarely occurs before the timer runs out in TDM. Be prepared to enjoy 20 minutes of thrilling spawn, death, spawn, death action. Arena is no better - this gametype consists of playing one of the stealth classes so you can run away and wait out the timer.
    What makes this game so frustrating is that these flaws could be fixed within minutes but so far the solutions the developers have come up with are half-assed.
  7. Dec 20, 2012
    I'm normally a fan of games that are 'get in-play-get out' and don't require much time.
    It would have been easy for me to give this game a 3 or 4 rating based off of my experience of the first hour of gameplay. The tutorial isn't very clear and for learning 9 abilities for 5 classes, the tool tips for each class is a good paragraph read for a game that should be fast paced. I spent roughly 30 minutes in the tutorial just trying to figure out what abilities did and how to use them effectively. Then movement was introduced and they threw in 'wall jumping' to F the whole thing up. Its an effective way to navigate some areas of the map, but since this is a team based game, running off solo is a good way to get you killed.
    My first issue with the game was the key bindings. You start with the abilities being mapped to the keys just right of WASD, your basic movement keys. I have never, in my entire life needed to use those keys in any game I have ever played. My muscle memory wasn't developed for it so my first real games were just horrible because I would press buttons that weren't for the ability I wanted, or I pressed so far over that it did nothing. I highly recommend remapping the keys to something that suites your play style in games like LoL or your Rogue in WoW. A lot of people make the argument "Wow has 42 buttons and Forge only has 9" , but...I don't know ANYONE who plays WoW and has to hit all 42 buttons in 1 fight. Hell, the most i've ever had to press was 1, 2, 3..........9. 9 total buttons during combat. A lot of WoW abilities are buffs/out of combat abilities, and the rest are buttons one only presses on a proc, or class/race specific CDS that can only be used once every 2-3 minutes. It is an invalid argument to say that WoW is harder because it has more buttons. Forge requires you to use just about every single one of those 9 abilities in a span of about 15 seconds, you can get pretty flustered if you get jumped or targeted and need to do a ton of quick thinking.

The community inside the game is horrible. No one is supportive or tries to coach or give tips. Its just Noob this noob that. On the Forge website though, its a different story, a lot of players want to see this community grow and offer their support, tips and recommendations.

Currently, there is a level up system for each of the 5 classes that is only about 75% complete. Which is a bummer because it seems like that can really make the game unique. You get to level up your classes based off of the XP you gained while playing the game. Even better is that you can play 1 class, and use the xp gained form playing him, to level up a separate class. Once you really get the game figured out, the XP starts to flow like water into your stats. It is awarded to you similarly to how bonuses are awarded in Call of Duty: "Assisted X number of times" "X kills without dying", "lived Xmins without dying" "Survived from X amount of health"

One downside I am seeing is the ability to select a server. There are multiple game types (Team DeathMatch, CTF, and arena) but you don't get to choose from a server which game you'd like to join. When you choose your gametype you Do get placed in a match rather quickly, but most often times you are thrown into a match you just quit because the other team is just 5 assassins running around, or there's a player on the other team that just won't shut their mouth. You just have to exit and keep trying until you get into a new match.

One thing that game me a good laugh was that the creators believe this game is balanced....yet everyone pretty much only plays the assassin class. Its obvious to see why, but its also ridiculous if you have 50% of your player base playing one of the 5 available classes (6th one supposibly on the way along with a new map or two and new gametypes)

In my current state of how well or bad I play this game, a 7 is the best I can give. I could see me boosting this up to an 8 if leveling up seemed worth while (or maybe I just don't understand it, there's no help in figuring out what the benefits are) and server filters can be used.

The game has a tiny community from my perspective, and i'd like to see it get huge, because I really want more than 5v5 or 6v6. I want 12v12.
  8. Dec 18, 2012
    I really like how the game is coming out so far but, like almost everyone else has said, I don't think this game was ready to be released, quite a bit of features are keeping this game from making it worth playing. hopefully they can work fast enough to make up for that and not lose any customers.
  9. Dec 18, 2012
    Forge is currently unfinished, although there is a solid foundation built for what could potentially shape up to be a solid game. The developers have a lot of plans ahead of them and are promising an amazing game but it's too early to tell if they're going to be able to hit their mark or not.

There are no doubt problems with the game. There is currently no way to heal yourself outside of combat except for a limited amount of small heal shrines located around the map. This means that victory usually goes to the team with more healers. This also means that most times it's easier and more effective to simply suicide when at 50% health or lower than to try to escape or find these shrines to do healing.

The classes are varied and interesting, taking great influence from WoW and other AAA titles in terms of classic RPG abilities. The combat is hotbar based similar to WoW, except there is a soft locking FPS style aiming for abilities. Also, it's advertised as an MMO but it's absolutely anything but. Think CoD matchmaking in a fantasy setting.
  10. Dec 13, 2012
    It shouldn't be permitted to sell such an unfinished product. I expected much better considering this has been a top seller on steam for over a week. This game is easily a year from being playable. Within the first 2 hours of playing I crashed to desktop twice, had to repeat the tutorial 3 times due to servers issues, and had to wait for a hotfix patch just to play with others (error:It shouldn't be permitted to sell such an unfinished product. I expected much better considering this has been a top seller on steam for over a week. This game is easily a year from being playable. Within the first 2 hours of playing I crashed to desktop twice, had to repeat the tutorial 3 times due to servers issues, and had to wait for a hotfix patch just to play with others (error: servers are full & error: invalid login).
    The combat is promising, but currently it seems very limited and dull. Linear game play with few strategies. Games like Guild Wars 1 & 2, Rift, and Smite, have similar combat (specifically no-grind equal footing PvP) but are much more expansive on strategy options, not to mention a more polished product.
  11. Dec 12, 2012
    Forge is very mobile & vertical team-oriented RPG third person combat, similar to MMO PvP. The devs launched through Greenlight because their 300k Kickstarter failed so it's a bit raw right now but there are a ton of updates scheduled. New maps, new classes, new game modes, Steam matchmaking, skins and gameplay balances are lined up so far. Worth picking up if you can look past theForge is very mobile & vertical team-oriented RPG third person combat, similar to MMO PvP. The devs launched through Greenlight because their 300k Kickstarter failed so it's a bit raw right now but there are a ton of updates scheduled. New maps, new classes, new game modes, Steam matchmaking, skins and gameplay balances are lined up so far. Worth picking up if you can look past the problems it has currently with UI & functionality issues. Expand
  12. Dec 9, 2012
    Ive been looking for a new fresh take on pvp games that myself and friends could play together and at a glance this looks exactly what I was looking for. Forge provides a new media of allowing friends to get together and have some fun. With beautiful, well crafted maps and fast paced real-time combat you are kept on your toes and it brings back the feeling of you win by skill not whoIve been looking for a new fresh take on pvp games that myself and friends could play together and at a glance this looks exactly what I was looking for. Forge provides a new media of allowing friends to get together and have some fun. With beautiful, well crafted maps and fast paced real-time combat you are kept on your toes and it brings back the feeling of you win by skill not who grinds the most that Guild wars1 had.The classes are well crafted and each add an important element to the fight which helps keep teams balanced. Expand
  13. Dec 9, 2012
    Not something for pve fans, but for those who are looking for mmo pvp action, this is the game to nab. It skips the grinding of other mmos and puts you straight into fighting. Looks nice and the combat is pretty fun. The only thing that seems to hold it back is the fact it feels like it is still in beta, but it seems like the developers intend to put the time into it to bring it where aNot something for pve fans, but for those who are looking for mmo pvp action, this is the game to nab. It skips the grinding of other mmos and puts you straight into fighting. Looks nice and the combat is pretty fun. The only thing that seems to hold it back is the fact it feels like it is still in beta, but it seems like the developers intend to put the time into it to bring it where a game labeled as launched should be. It's worth picking up as it is currently, and I imagine it is only going to get better. Expand
  14. Dec 7, 2012
    Forge is a promising and fun casual PvP game right now. Closest similar experience for me is TF2 that I've played. Maps and classes are alright but matches really need more game modes and other stuff to do than just capturing the flag (tower). Controls do work and technically graphics and sounds are good enough for this type of game but nothing groundbreaking. At launch there are manyForge is a promising and fun casual PvP game right now. Closest similar experience for me is TF2 that I've played. Maps and classes are alright but matches really need more game modes and other stuff to do than just capturing the flag (tower). Controls do work and technically graphics and sounds are good enough for this type of game but nothing groundbreaking. At launch there are many choices grayed out at menu and you can only start Quick Play / random and it leaves bad beta feeling though more features are coming.. hopefully soon that players won't abandon game. Expand
  15. Dec 6, 2012
    This is really what it says it is: it's a RPG/FPS-like game. It's not actually firstperson but thirdperson. The FPS part in the description comes from the idea of being a relatively fast-paced class-based game, while on the fantasy/"MMO"RPG area. The game itself has a huge potential, but I won't rate them more than 7 since they have yet to polish it a lot.
  16. Dec 6, 2012
    A game with solid, innovative mix of FPS and MMO combat without the grind, and a design philosophy around balance that warms my heart. The game lacks many basic features at the moment such as community features and server browsing, yet it is promised to come soon, and with developers who are so in touch with the community, I don't mind the wait. Very distinct classes, varied maps thatA game with solid, innovative mix of FPS and MMO combat without the grind, and a design philosophy around balance that warms my heart. The game lacks many basic features at the moment such as community features and server browsing, yet it is promised to come soon, and with developers who are so in touch with the community, I don't mind the wait. Very distinct classes, varied maps that change your style of play (although few at the moment) and fantastic gameplay make up for the little bits and pieces to come into place. With time this game will certainly climb from a 7. Expand
  17. Dec 6, 2012
    An interesting MMO PVP game without the MMO part, the game itself has a few bugs, and seems a little more like a beta at the moment, but the developers have promised updates and patches.
  18. Dec 5, 2012
    Forge is fun, but I feel like I'm playing an extended beta. Luckily, that beta is a great time. It's just unfortunate that most who purchase this game will probably neglect the potential and pass on it entirely. It's a shame, too, because Forge is a breath of fresh air. I just can't see the developers completing everything that needs to be added fast enough to keep the non-die-hard fanForge is fun, but I feel like I'm playing an extended beta. Luckily, that beta is a great time. It's just unfortunate that most who purchase this game will probably neglect the potential and pass on it entirely. It's a shame, too, because Forge is a breath of fresh air. I just can't see the developers completing everything that needs to be added fast enough to keep the non-die-hard fan community around. Luckily, they've converted a fan, and I feel that most who give this game a shot will end up feeling as I do -- ready to wait for the great stuff the developers hopefully have coming down the pipeline. But, unfortunately, the developers have decided to release this game as "complete", ready to purchase on Steam. My score reflects that decision, reviewing it as a "complete" game, and not necessarily about how much I'm rooting for it from the sidelines.

Here's what we're missing right off the bat. Stats aren't explained, at all, nor is the leveling system in general... and it definitely needs a bit of an explanation. You can do some exploring on the forums, but that doesn't really solve your problem when you're hopping into a game trying to just get started. The tutorial (although helpful) feels brief and rushed. It taught me how to move, how to double-jump, and gave me a few static target dummies to wail on; it's a welcome feature, since I guess it didn't exist during the beta, but it's not going to help with the learning curve anytime soon. Teams seem poorly balanced, and this is mostly because people have no clue how to play (and those that pick up on it quickly [or were there for the beta] dominate, killing new players' motivation to continue)... Some cry imbalance in the chat, when in actuality, it's just this insane learning curve kicking their ass. They have no idea how the skills are actually executed and how each class is meant to be played. A bot-map would be a more suitable tutorial for gamers than what currently exists. Some of the abilities feel either useless or have too high of a cooldown to ever matter, at least with the class I decided to play. I was going on 12+ killstreaks and surviving for well over 7 minutes without dying as a Pathfinder using my traps, blind, and M1. It felt cheap, but it worked, and I only ended up dying because the other team decided to finally swarm me with a group of Assassins. You can't pick your preferred game type at the moment, nor can you pick from servers, which also means that you can't play with friends reliably... But all this said, the game IS quite fun to play. Let's get that point across firmly.

The maps are gorgeous and the character models are very detailed. Maneuvering your character around these expansive environments feels tight, and I wish all MMO's had a combat system like this. Some people have mentioned wanting a map... but I really hope that doesn't get put in. The way it is now reminds me of the old days where learning a map was more valuable than looking in the top-right corner. The double jump seemed ridiculous when I tried it in the tutorial. It became a life-saver once I was in-game. Players can't sprint indefinitely, but the stamina usage is so low it doesn't really matter, which is nice. Pubbers, including myself, will try to Rambo it up as soon as they start playing, and everything goes to hell since we're really not sure what the heck we're supposed to be doing... BUT... When a team syncs up well (and fights another team with the same luck), the combat and team-based gameplay really starts to shine. Shamans are a life-saver, keeping your team alive in exchange for taking a backseat to doing any relevant damage at all. Assassin's are a bag of tricks -- two of these catching you alone will almost always result in death if they get the drop on you. Wardens can take a punch while dealing out some pretty nice buffs for the party. Pathfinders and Pyromancers can take you out from afar, resulting in massive frustration (or great joy, if you're the one dealing out the damage). A team of these classes working together can pin another team to their spawn point with relative ease. Which is just downright wrong -- and needs addressed. Camping that spawn point is all too easy, even with the multiple exits on the maps.

So, is it worth $10 ($20 for two copies, at the moment)? Yeah. I'd say so, especially when they start fixing all the issues. Once this little Steam deal goes away and it retails for $20? If these issues haven't been addressed, I'd give it a firm hell-no. Just wait. But I guess the real problem here isn't that Forge has "issues". It's that the game is incomplete, a shell of its aspiring future self. I'm glad I'll be there to watch it finally realize itself -- I just hope there will still be a healthy group of players that see the potential and stick it through like I am.
  19. Dec 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A nice game with fast gameplay but still room for improvement. Better played with friends. Expand
  20. Dec 5, 2012
    To be honest I'm not really a person that goes out of my way for games like this and seeing that I am just for a copy of the game means that this game caught my attention.The fact that it's PVP oriented and it some what reminds me of both Call of Duty and Guild Wars 2, It made me REALLY interested in playing. Now what i've notice about it is that it's quite not so good good to me not in aTo be honest I'm not really a person that goes out of my way for games like this and seeing that I am just for a copy of the game means that this game caught my attention.The fact that it's PVP oriented and it some what reminds me of both Call of Duty and Guild Wars 2, It made me REALLY interested in playing. Now what i've notice about it is that it's quite not so good good to me not in a bad way but in a way where as, certain stuff aren't available as yet. And I don't have a problem with that, it just got released this is expected. The thing I like about it is, it makes me want to play it more, want to crave that feeling I've always missed when I kill a player or play with players on a team. It gets my adrenaline rushing, making bot my brain and my body work, now thats something.. I like how this game requires strategy to win and not just pull up a keyboard and roll my face on it to win lol. I don't want to write a boring ass essay, but this game has ALOT of potential and surprisingly I see the staffs are actually active and talks with it's community, thats a +1 from me. Sad thing is if I was able to pay I would have bought it long ago but, Bahamas cards don't work online neither with paypal so sucks. The game play is just right, but I think the game would be better if it would've been released with more working functions and such... Well thatch just my 2 cents. Expand
  21. Dec 4, 2012
    The game is mix between alt tab and action combat like darkfall online since it has soft auto targeting when using projectiles, that is not very good for the melee heroes since the ranged heroes has some kind of advantage since they can snare you down and just kite you while blocking your charges or other gap closing skills. The game has good graphics and looks smooth. The maps lookThe game is mix between alt tab and action combat like darkfall online since it has soft auto targeting when using projectiles, that is not very good for the melee heroes since the ranged heroes has some kind of advantage since they can snare you down and just kite you while blocking your charges or other gap closing skills. The game has good graphics and looks smooth. The maps look gorgeous and are fun to play in. Knowing it just released i cant comment on game modes but they promised more are coming same with customization which will make the game even more fun. Game needs more classes for class based pvp arena game, since people will probably get bored of the same 5 classes, tho you gotta master those and unlock different stuff which keeps you playing one class instead of bunny hoping between all of them. The biggest drawback for many people might be the lack of accomplishment progress, since lots of people like to gain something for playing more than few matches then and now, and since the main progress is not gonna be like in your normal mmorpgs people might avoid it, but those are the people that should know its arena based pvp game not your mmorpg with levels and grinds, this game is more like lol, dota or hon, you join a game get few fun matches and leave pc, easy and fast, no need to grind to be on the same level ,no outgearing you and so on makes it fun casual or even competitive game since it doesn't require lot of time to enjoy few matches. The lack of classes and the soft autotargeting for ranged (should use physics for bolts and other stuff instead of homing missles if you use ability when you have red dot on enemy) makes it solid 7,5 with ability to improve it to even 9-10's. Expand
  22. Dec 25, 2012
    Based solely on gameplay, Forge would be a 10/10. Its PvP is balanced, fun, exciting, and can melt the hours away. Once they put in some more features, such as a party system (and generally more group-friendly features) and a little more info on your screen (such as showing which debuffs you currently have on), the game will easily be a 10. They also have not yet implemented theirBased solely on gameplay, Forge would be a 10/10. Its PvP is balanced, fun, exciting, and can melt the hours away. Once they put in some more features, such as a party system (and generally more group-friendly features) and a little more info on your screen (such as showing which debuffs you currently have on), the game will easily be a 10. They also have not yet implemented their leveling system fully, but based on the updates so far I do believe they will continue to flesh out these kinds of (important) features (I played the beta when I was a backer through Kickstarter, and the game has come a long way in just a couple months).

Why is Forge PvP so much fun? There is no grinding (it literally doesn't exist in the game, as leveling only gives you sidegrades, rather than a definitive advantage). There is no currency. Each class feels balanced and unique, with a relatively small number of skills each. You also don't need to worry about out-playing someone else, only to lose because they have better gear. Gameplay feels tight and balanced: the UI is responsive (ie, healing shows an instant effect on others' health - not always the case with other MMO's I've tried), cooldowns are appropriate and don't feel overpowered or useless. Players have good feedback about whether their abilities have landed properly. Sounds and effects feel pretty polished. Each class has a defined role and is good at what it's intended to do. And the fundamental idea behind Forge - that you need to aim each ability (except a few AoE abilities) - is good in concept and in execution. The two weaknesses of the game are its semi-unfinished features (which I do have confidence will be changed) - such as the leveling system, giving players just a little more info about the game mechanics, and more group-friendly features - and its somewhat small player base (but obviously the game just came out). I do hope more players will continue to pick up this game. At $20, it's a steal, and I can't think of any game I've played that has PvP that I would describe as being more fun (including MMO's, FPS's, RPG's).

1. Mar 12, 2013
    Forge is an ambitious mixture of genres--PVP and team FPS--but it's not polished enough and doesn't have quite enough content to work completely yet. Dark Vale has their work cut out for them making Forge a complete and intuitive experience, but the potential is there.
  2. Feb 28, 2013
    Forge is an orphan of a game, with lonely players stalking its empty servers. It is, in fact, not even a game, but just a prototype of one.
  3. Feb 6, 2013
    Forge left me with mixed feelings. It has considerable potential but until developers fulfill their promises players will have to deal with an unfinished product. [CD-Action 02/2013, p.59]