7.6

1. Dec 5, 2012
    Forge is fun, but I feel like I'm playing an extended beta. Luckily, that beta is a great time. It's just unfortunate that most who purchase this game will probably neglect the potential and pass on it entirely. It's a shame, too, because Forge is a breath of fresh air. I just can't see the developers completing everything that needs to be added fast enough to keep the non-die-hard fanForge is fun, but I feel like I'm playing an extended beta. Luckily, that beta is a great time. It's just unfortunate that most who purchase this game will probably neglect the potential and pass on it entirely. It's a shame, too, because Forge is a breath of fresh air. I just can't see the developers completing everything that needs to be added fast enough to keep the non-die-hard fan community around. Luckily, they've converted a fan, and I feel that most who give this game a shot will end up feeling as I do -- ready to wait for the great stuff the developers hopefully have coming down the pipeline. But, unfortunately, the developers have decided to release this game as "complete", ready to purchase on Steam. My score reflects that decision, reviewing it as a "complete" game, and not necessarily about how much I'm rooting for it from the sidelines.

Here's what we're missing right off the bat. Stats aren't explained, at all, nor is the leveling system in general... and it definitely needs a bit of an explanation. You can do some exploring on the forums, but that doesn't really solve your problem when you're hopping into a game trying to just get started. The tutorial (although helpful) feels brief and rushed. It taught me how to move, how to double-jump, and gave me a few static target dummies to wail on; it's a welcome feature, since I guess it didn't exist during the beta, but it's not going to help with the learning curve anytime soon. Teams seem poorly balanced, and this is mostly because people have no clue how to play (and those that pick up on it quickly [or were there for the beta] dominate, killing new players' motivation to continue)... Some cry imbalance in the chat, when in actuality, it's just this insane learning curve kicking their ass. They have no idea how the skills are actually executed and how each class is meant to be played. A bot-map would be a more suitable tutorial for gamers than what currently exists. Some of the abilities feel either useless or have too high of a cooldown to ever matter, at least with the class I decided to play. I was going on 12+ killstreaks and surviving for well over 7 minutes without dying as a Pathfinder using my traps, blind, and M1. It felt cheap, but it worked, and I only ended up dying because the other team decided to finally swarm me with a group of Assassins. You can't pick your preferred game type at the moment, nor can you pick from servers, which also means that you can't play with friends reliably... But all this said, the game IS quite fun to play. Let's get that point across firmly.

The maps are gorgeous and the character models are very detailed. Maneuvering your character around these expansive environments feels tight, and I wish all MMO's had a combat system like this. Some people have mentioned wanting a map... but I really hope that doesn't get put in. The way it is now reminds me of the old days where learning a map was more valuable than looking in the top-right corner. The double jump seemed ridiculous when I tried it in the tutorial. It became a life-saver once I was in-game. Players can't sprint indefinitely, but the stamina usage is so low it doesn't really matter, which is nice. Pubbers, including myself, will try to Rambo it up as soon as they start playing, and everything goes to hell since we're really not sure what the heck we're supposed to be doing... BUT... When a team syncs up well (and fights another team with the same luck), the combat and team-based gameplay really starts to shine. Shamans are a life-saver, keeping your team alive in exchange for taking a backseat to doing any relevant damage at all. Assassin's are a bag of tricks -- two of these catching you alone will almost always result in death if they get the drop on you. Wardens can take a punch while dealing out some pretty nice buffs for the party. Pathfinders and Pyromancers can take you out from afar, resulting in massive frustration (or great joy, if you're the one dealing out the damage). A team of these classes working together can pin another team to their spawn point with relative ease. Which is just downright wrong -- and needs addressed. Camping that spawn point is all too easy, even with the multiple exits on the maps.

So, is it worth $10 ($20 for two copies, at the moment)? Yeah. I'd say so, especially when they start fixing all the issues. Once this little Steam deal goes away and it retails for $20? If these issues haven't been addressed, I'd give it a firm hell-no. Just wait. But I guess the real problem here isn't that Forge has "issues". It's that the game is incomplete, a shell of its aspiring future self. I'm glad I'll be there to watch it finally realize itself -- I just hope there will still be a healthy group of players that see the potential and stick it through like I am.
  2. Dec 4, 2012
    I've been looking for a game like this for a long time - skill based combat with an MMO style. If you enjoy WoW arenas or Guild Wars 2 spvp, you'll definitely want to try Forge. Also, if you've played games like Tera, but couldn't stand the grind or wanted to focus solely on pvp, this game is for you.

I've been playing Forge since the alpha, and though it's still rough in a few places, very few games have managed to hold my attention like Forge has. Overall, this game is very solid, and it deserves a place in any competitive gamer's library. Audio quality and game performance still need some work, which is why I deducted a point, but the developers have already promised ongoing support and free content patches post-launch (as they have done consistently throughout alpha and beta).
  3. Dec 4, 2012
    Forge is a truly truly great PvP Game you jump in play the Game and just forget the Time that's what a good game should do too you. You just want too play more. Smooth Graphics, Nice Artworks, Interesting Game Mechanics and Devs which actually care about the game :)! Try it out you cant go wrong :)! Get it on Steam Today while its hot =)!
  4. Dec 4, 2012
    Forge has alot promise and might have bright future as great PvP-oriented game. Sadly, its still way too incomplete to offer any incentive to keep playing other than few matches and is filled with small bugs, nothing gamebreaking, but annoying ones(So called "Domino effect" in particular). Given time, those small annoyances will probably be fixed(along the reward system). Id also like toForge has alot promise and might have bright future as great PvP-oriented game. Sadly, its still way too incomplete to offer any incentive to keep playing other than few matches and is filled with small bugs, nothing gamebreaking, but annoying ones(So called "Domino effect" in particular). Given time, those small annoyances will probably be fixed(along the reward system). Id also like to see the game gathering larger playerbase, as now its hard to have even 5v5 games. They could have also post-poned "Launch" that was 4.12.2012, as the game is nowhere ready to be launched.Concluding, i wish all well to developers and will continue monitoring developing progress. Expand
  5. Dec 4, 2012
    Not really a game for pve fans, but if you like pvp this is where you want to be. Very good balance, high skilled combat that you could play both hardcore and totally casually. The developers are awesome and are actively playing the game with you, listening to your feedback, it's a great experience, and with arenas and labyrinth coming so, I can only see it getting better. Love this game,Not really a game for pve fans, but if you like pvp this is where you want to be. Very good balance, high skilled combat that you could play both hardcore and totally casually. The developers are awesome and are actively playing the game with you, listening to your feedback, it's a great experience, and with arenas and labyrinth coming so, I can only see it getting better. Love this game, well worth a try. Expand
  6. Dec 4, 2012
    This is a game with a lot of potential and developers very active with the community. It doesn't have an open world and is light on MMO features right now, but the gameplay is solid.
  7. Aug 6, 2013
    Gameplay.. nice, skillsystems/cosmetical systems.. great, replayabilty without getting bored.. meh.
    With friends its great but doing solo there isnt a massive amont of content keeping you addicted.
  8. Dec 4, 2012
    For an indie game, they get no better than Forge. With stunning visuals, phenomenal game play, and room for growth, It wouldn't be surprising to see this game explode onto the eSport scene. With multiple influences clearly present within Forge ranging from World of Warcraft class builds to a Skyrim styled design, the title is destined to be a classic. With big plans already ahead (moreFor an indie game, they get no better than Forge. With stunning visuals, phenomenal game play, and room for growth, It wouldn't be surprising to see this game explode onto the eSport scene. With multiple influences clearly present within Forge ranging from World of Warcraft class builds to a Skyrim styled design, the title is destined to be a classic. With big plans already ahead (more classes, more game modes) I recommend getting your hands on this as soon as humanly possible. Expand
  9. Jan 4, 2013
    Incomplete game is incomplete.
  10. Dec 5, 2012
    Forge can really become a truly great PvP game. Unfortunately it had to launch lacking a few features but the developers are very active in the community and are committed to making it the game they want it to be.

As it stands now there are a few small bugs and balance issues, but nothing that ruins the enjoyment of the game. I'm really enjoying the hours I've put in to it so far even though many of the features are still "coming soon".
  11. Dec 5, 2012
    Developers really understand the mind set of their target audience. If you want a PvP oriented MMO that isn't another job, this is the game for you. The development team is very closely connected with their community and really understand what a PvP oriented MMO should look like. The movement in the game is fantastic and there is no tab targetting. There are still a few things thatDevelopers really understand the mind set of their target audience. If you want a PvP oriented MMO that isn't another job, this is the game for you. The development team is very closely connected with their community and really understand what a PvP oriented MMO should look like. The movement in the game is fantastic and there is no tab targetting. There are still a few things that need to be implemented, but those things are expected to be implemented shortly. The overall outlook on this game is fantastic. I have really enjoyed playing it over the past few weeks. I haven't been this excited about a game in a while. Expand
  12. Dec 5, 2012
    Forge is a fresh breath to the pvp MMO scene. The basis of the game is a great idea: take the aiming, competition, and skill of an FPS and add the depth, movement, and complexity of MMO combat. Add this to the idea that the devs "get" that competitive pvp shouldn't be about a grind or about who has better gear, and you have a great foundation for a game. The devs also understand that aForge is a fresh breath to the pvp MMO scene. The basis of the game is a great idea: take the aiming, competition, and skill of an FPS and add the depth, movement, and complexity of MMO combat. Add this to the idea that the devs "get" that competitive pvp shouldn't be about a grind or about who has better gear, and you have a great foundation for a game. The devs also understand that a game like this can't have zero progression and still have a leveling system, similar to say call of duty, that allows progression to give players more options, but not necessarily a clear advantage over newer players. To say it simple: the devs simply "get it."

Let's talk about the dev team. They clearly are a group of competitive pvp players who decided to make a game they wanted to play and could envision but wasn't on the market. They made the game, not with the mind set of making money like the big gaming companies, but to make a game that was spectacular and fun to play. This can be scene in the low price of the game, and the lack of external money from big gaming companies. They did not want to receive external money because it would mean they couldn't do exactly what they wanted to do to make the game they envisioned. Further, the devs are very interactive with the community, they don't dodge questions like our companies, and they understand what true competitive pvp'ers want.

Let's talk about the game. Yes, as many have mentioned, the game isn't finished. Some people have mentioned that they feel they have been ripped off because they bought a game that wasn't completely finished. To this I say, you paid 1/3 the price of what normal games sell for, and you are definitely getting more than 1/3 of a game, so there is no way you can say you got ripped off. The company is not funded by big gaming corporations, so they needed to release it at this stage to fund what they want to do next with the game. The company is very fair and are not attempting to rip off people.

The game has great graphics and amazing game play -- its fast, skill based, and addictive. As with many others, I am looking forward to future additions like more skills per class, more classes, ranked arenas, more game types, and maybe even some sort of open world pvp environment. Since the company decided to not do pve, their complete focus is on pvp, and I feel like for the first time this will allow a company to not neglect the pvp part of an MMO. The game has great fundamentals that the dev team can easily expand on, and they are already in the progress of doing this. So the bottom line is that this game is definitely worth buying if you are looking for a competitive pvp MMO game, and will continue to get better and better in the near future.
  13. Dec 6, 2012
    An interesting MMO PVP game without the MMO part, the game itself has a few bugs, and seems a little more like a beta at the moment, but the developers have promised updates and patches.
  14. Dec 6, 2012
    I used to be a 2200 rogue on KT in wow. pvped for about 8 hours a day because i loved it. since i have work/school now i don't have the luxury of time that i used to. I picked up this game a little while ago. has great promise. new classes being added along with other things to customize every individual character. i suggest you play the free trial if they have one. hit me up ingame, imI used to be a 2200 rogue on KT in wow. pvped for about 8 hours a day because i loved it. since i have work/school now i don't have the luxury of time that i used to. I picked up this game a little while ago. has great promise. new classes being added along with other things to customize every individual character. i suggest you play the free trial if they have one. hit me up ingame, im 13/f/ny lf bbc. Expand
  15. Dec 9, 2012
    Unfinished, rushed and lacking content. Seems criminal to charge full price. Save your money, and pick up something finished and worthy of your money!
  16. Dec 4, 2012
    Forge is a game I believe players with MMO backgrounds will enjoy immensely. It's much faster paced than an MMO and combines the precision demanded from a first person shooter with a familiar battleground environment. Rather than waiting in long queues as MMO players are used to, it throws you right into the fight without having to worry about gearing up your character. You gain experienceForge is a game I believe players with MMO backgrounds will enjoy immensely. It's much faster paced than an MMO and combines the precision demanded from a first person shooter with a familiar battleground environment. Rather than waiting in long queues as MMO players are used to, it throws you right into the fight without having to worry about gearing up your character. You gain experience points for doing well on your team and can spend them to swap points between armor types, energy / mana, and movement speed. Ability customization will be available soon, and so will arena mode, new classes, game modes, maps, emotes, and a lot more. Give Forge a shot, it has a lot of potential and has already forged a high reputation among its community. Expand
  17. Dec 4, 2012
    Game with big potential and active developers. It's fast, frenzied and brutal! If you enjoy team based combat and intense skill-based PvP you must try this game.
  18. Dec 5, 2012
    Forge is definitely a unique game. The game is one of the best ideas in a while, taking the best of all genres and combine them together. The devs are smart, industry professionals that plan to stay indie, so the players don't have to be worried about being pinched for pennies. The game has a ways to go before it is the best, but the devs are hard at work. Endless potential.
  19. Dec 6, 2012
    I think this game is exactly what i was looking for - Hardcore, skill-based multiplayer arena battles. I think 8 is OK while devs definitely should try to make this awesome game even awesomer ;)
  20. Aug 19, 2013
    Was a 7 at launch but now that it's F2P, i can't even give away the free copy i bought with my own copy, developers are as bad as the Warz dev censoring the forums and treating the pre launch buys like me as garbage, it's a cash grab now cause they can't get anyone to play there pay2win zerg fest of a game.
  21. Dec 12, 2012
    One of the greatest games ever. If you have ever been a WoW or a CS nerd, you will love this. Pure skill based PvP. Arena battles, stats and balanced classes. I would recommend you to try!
  22. Dec 18, 2012
    Forge is currently unfinished, although there is a solid foundation built for what could potentially shape up to be a solid game. The developers have a lot of plans ahead of them and are promising an amazing game but it's too early to tell if they're going to be able to hit their mark or not.

There are no doubt problems with the game. There is currently no way to heal yourself outside of combat except for a limited amount of small heal shrines located around the map. This means that victory usually goes to the team with more healers. This also means that most times it's easier and more effective to simply suicide when at 50% health or lower than to try to escape or find these shrines to do healing.

The classes are varied and interesting, taking great influence from WoW and other AAA titles in terms of classic RPG abilities. The combat is hotbar based similar to WoW, except there is a soft locking FPS style aiming for abilities. Also, it's advertised as an MMO but it's absolutely anything but. Think CoD matchmaking in a fantasy setting.
  23. Dec 4, 2012
    Great game for people who want to have some multiplayer fun and don't want to bother with a tedious level grind. The controls are extremely smooth, graphics are amazing, and maps are balanced. Please go pick this game up.
  24. Dec 10, 2012
    Game is an unfinished beta. Bad Developer support and should be a crime to charge people for it in it's current state. Don't waste your money, or if you do don't waste it for a few months until the game is finished.
  25. Dec 5, 2012
    Amazing game. It's like a mix of oldschool unreal tournament gameplay & WoW style fantasy pvp, fast and slightly technical. If you liked either of those games and you love pvp this is the game for you.
  26. Dec 5, 2012
    An amazing PVP game, with solid progression, taking a Solid TPS shooter and adding MMO stylings to it, and also the team developing seems to be very active, and has a clear vision, and like MMO's plans to continue releasing updates for the game including new classes, new skins etc. The low cost is truely makes this game an insane value, its ridiculously fun, and the active developmentAn amazing PVP game, with solid progression, taking a Solid TPS shooter and adding MMO stylings to it, and also the team developing seems to be very active, and has a clear vision, and like MMO's plans to continue releasing updates for the game including new classes, new skins etc. The low cost is truely makes this game an insane value, its ridiculously fun, and the active development means if its already this good only god knows how much better it can get.. haven't run into any bugs and the game feels balanced very well so they are taking care of their baby it seems.

I was looking forward to the companions i really hope that they get to add them into the final game soon.
  27. Dec 6, 2012
    a really fun game, its like the wow battlegrounds but without op classes and imbalanced equip. only skill.
    but its too soon to release it andit could be the best game of the year if they chose f2p model
  28. Dec 8, 2012
    If you like some PVP game with great dynamics and non-stop action and fun, then Forge is your game!
    For the things i saw in videos, Forge has a simple and functional matchmaking that allows you to to save a lot of time in queues (which is really annoying in other games), the characters are balanced (no OP characters :D ) and above all, they have > 9 < skills each, which make them really versatile.(btw, I just love the fact that you can make wall jumps *0*). If you want more information about Forge, check it out at steam website!!
  29. Dec 25, 2012
    Based solely on gameplay, Forge would be a 10/10. Its PvP is balanced, fun, exciting, and can melt the hours away. Once they put in some more features, such as a party system (and generally more group-friendly features) and a little more info on your screen (such as showing which debuffs you currently have on), the game will easily be a 10. They also have not yet implemented theirBased solely on gameplay, Forge would be a 10/10. Its PvP is balanced, fun, exciting, and can melt the hours away. Once they put in some more features, such as a party system (and generally more group-friendly features) and a little more info on your screen (such as showing which debuffs you currently have on), the game will easily be a 10. They also have not yet implemented their leveling system fully, but based on the updates so far I do believe they will continue to flesh out these kinds of (important) features (I played the beta when I was a backer through Kickstarter, and the game has come a long way in just a couple months).

Why is Forge PvP so much fun? There is no grinding (it literally doesn't exist in the game, as leveling only gives you sidegrades, rather than a definitive advantage). There is no currency. Each class feels balanced and unique, with a relatively small number of skills each. You also don't need to worry about out-playing someone else, only to lose because they have better gear. Gameplay feels tight and balanced: the UI is responsive (ie, healing shows an instant effect on others' health - not always the case with other MMO's I've tried), cooldowns are appropriate and don't feel overpowered or useless. Players have good feedback about whether their abilities have landed properly. Sounds and effects feel pretty polished. Each class has a defined role and is good at what it's intended to do. And the fundamental idea behind Forge - that you need to aim each ability (except a few AoE abilities) - is good in concept and in execution. The two weaknesses of the game are its semi-unfinished features (which I do have confidence will be changed) - such as the leveling system, giving players just a little more info about the game mechanics, and more group-friendly features - and its somewhat small player base (but obviously the game just came out). I do hope more players will continue to pick up this game. At $20, it's a steal, and I can't think of any game I've played that has PvP that I would describe as being more fun (including MMO's, FPS's, RPG's).
  30. Dec 5, 2012
    Lots of promise but horribly imbalanced, and I definitely should not be asked to pay for the game in the current state. It's early beta testing honestly. Check back in 6 months
  31. Dec 12, 2012
    Forge is very mobile & vertical team-oriented RPG third person combat, similar to MMO PvP. The devs launched through Greenlight because their 300k Kickstarter failed so it's a bit raw right now but there are a ton of updates scheduled. New maps, new classes, new game modes, Steam matchmaking, skins and gameplay balances are lined up so far. Worth picking up if you can look past theForge is very mobile & vertical team-oriented RPG third person combat, similar to MMO PvP. The devs launched through Greenlight because their 300k Kickstarter failed so it's a bit raw right now but there are a ton of updates scheduled. New maps, new classes, new game modes, Steam matchmaking, skins and gameplay balances are lined up so far. Worth picking up if you can look past the problems it has currently with UI & functionality issues. Collapse

1. Mar 12, 2013
    Forge is an ambitious mixture of genres--PVP and team FPS--but it's not polished enough and doesn't have quite enough content to work completely yet. Dark Vale has their work cut out for them making Forge a complete and intuitive experience, but the potential is there.
  2. Feb 28, 2013
    Forge is an orphan of a game, with lonely players stalking its empty servers. It is, in fact, not even a game, but just a prototype of one.
  3. Feb 6, 2013
    Forge left me with mixed feelings. It has considerable potential but until developers fulfill their promises players will have to deal with an unfinished product. [CD-Action 02/2013, p.59]