7.9

1. Feb 1, 2013
    Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone, a side-scrolling Action "Metroidvania" JRPG produced by Lizbox and localized by Carpe Fulgur can only really be described as 'bipolar.' It seems to swing from one end of things to the other, constantly displaying a stark contrast between it's cute, sugary writing and characters with its quirky, stylish, punishingly difficult combat. Although it's very easy to feel relaxed at the game's opening, with the beautifully stylistic artwork making up the game’s hub world—as well as the main character Arche's playful mannerisms, the combat can take some serious getting used to. Arche and her friends' attacks have a large amount of recovery time, and the flinching, knock-backs, knock-downs, freezing, sleeping and other status effects enemies can dish out blend together with the intelligent AI and variety of enemies to create a perfect storm of crippling, often frustrating difficulty. The hand-numbing frustration, however, has a tendency to result in immense satisfaction. Enemies explode into a hail of sparks and money when they die, and being able to let go of your anal clench when you finally hear the battle music die down to the peaceful, ambient dungeon soundtrack makes my day in a way that's both unique and refreshing.

Outside of combat, Fortune Summoners is a game that's rich in flavours. Every NPC in every village, town and city feels as if the creators sat down and wrote a story, culminating in that character's existence. For the first time in years, I've found joy in wandering around a new town talking to absolutely everybody, searching every container and looking at every piece of the environment to soak up staggering amount of charm and TLC the creators have sprinkled around.

For all of its charm, however, Fortune Summoners' plot is one-dimensional and reliant on countless anime and JRPG tropes to help the story chug along. The story revolves around a handful of young children and their quest to obtain a few fistfuls of MacGuffins to save their generic High Fantasy Kingdom, warranting treks across the land to many dungeons, wherein the heroes slay many monsters, solve many puzzles and dodge many nefarious traps. Although the well-written, highly amusing dialogue included in every Carpe Fulgur localization makes this story bearable, the term that cannot be avoided is 'dated.'

The game is accompanied by an ambient, well-made soundtrack consisting mostly of Baroque orchestration, which, despite its early freshness and appealing melodies, quickly becomes stale and repetitive as the same few tracks are reused throughout the entire game (which may take an upwards of 30 hours to complete.) The sound effects, however, remain satisfying and refreshing from beginning to end. Every slash has enormous impact behind it, every spell has mystery and power surging through it, every clash of steel against steel is tense and climactic. In summary, Fortune Summoners is a game whose deceptive art style may have caused it to miss its target audience. The quirky writing and characters, “Slice of Life” characterizations and humour end up forming a mask that attempts to conceal the fast-paced, punishingly difficult gameplay. Although its music and plot may leave something to be desired and the combat and controls require time to adjust (and are nearly impossible to work with without an Xbox 360 controller due to the various Street Fighter-esque input combos), Fortune Summoners is a satisfying game that's not shy of content by any stretch of the imagination. At a price tag of $20, it provides the player with way more “game” than the average AAA release.

P.S. I attribute most of the professional reviewers’ complaints about the combat mechanics to their own ineptitude and unwillingness to tolerate difficulty in games (undoubtedly caused by the recent casualization of most popular franchises, and the generally easy difficulty of modern RPGs.) This is a game that punishes button mashing, and will take advantage of any opening you let the various slimes, bats and kobolds sink their teeth, swords and tentacles into. Again, and again, and again.
  2. Dec 15, 2012
    If there's anything that needs to be said about this game, it's that it is incredibly difficult. The difficulty borders along that line of "Incredibly Satisfying" and "Pull your hair out from irritation". It takes a LOT of getting used to, but overall this game is charming, cute, and funny. The story isn't exactly mind blowing, but the like-able characters make it worth sitting down and listening to. There are some obvious flaws, like massive difficulty spikes, unfair situations, and a bit of repetivity, but overall the goods outweigh the bads by quite a bit.
    Anyone who is a fan of anime and jrpg's should pick it up, and anyone looking for a good challenge, but otherwise, don't bother with it.
  3. Oct 9, 2012
    When I saw this game in the steam store, I first thought to myself, a bunch of little girls running around killing things? whaaa?...Then I decided to try it out since I do enjoy side scrolling beat 'em ups, and I was surprised to how much I enjoyed the combat as well as the cutesy dialog, This is an example of a person who plays games and knows what to add into games, game developers today I think goto school to learn how to make games and have not actually played a game in their life, that or lost touch with their gaming side. Expand
  4. Sep 12, 2012
    This game is a solid plataformer with some RPG touches. The story is terrible and full of kawaii cliches, but the gameplay makes it worthy. The combat and magic system is complex, with lots of combos, the AI of the companions is good and the regular enemies do present a challenge. This is a hard game, even the normal enemies can, and will, kill you many times. So if you don´t stand repeating a couple of times a certain area don´t get near this game.
    The greatest problem of this game is that a small time passes between the moment you press the button and the moment the character executes the action. I don´t know if this is a design choice or some kind of bug, but sometimes, specially during the first fights against aerial foes can drive you crazy.
    Overall a good and enjoyable game that is worth much more than it´s market price.
  5. Sep 4, 2012
    Fortune Summoners is a fun game that suffers from a few unfortunate flaws. It's a 2D action RPG although the RPG elements are pretty basic...you level up, gain stat boosts, can equip better items as time goes on, etc. The game's story isn't bad but not particularly interesting. This isn't a game you'd play for the story but rather the fun but difficult combat. There's something immensely satisfying about defeating enemies in this game and the combat system allows you to pull off all sorts of neat moves and combos. Sadly, the controls are slippery and at times unresponsive. I've tried both keyboard and controller, both had the same problems. Characters tend to slide around and it's difficult to turn around in heated battles or jump onto platforms. There's also a delay before moves but this could be considered part of the challenge and not necessarily poor controls, you have to be strategic with your timings (this is no button masher!).

Another flaw is the insane enemy AI. It often seems like enemies can literally predict your moves and combined with the sloppy controls it makes the game frustratingly difficult. Luckily, the AI of your other party members is surprisingly amazing and this somewhat counters the crazy enemies. The difficulty levels don't seem to change much, expect a challenging game even on easier modes. The game's difficulty and controls honestly reminded me of old school games (which isn't really a bad thing).

Even with these issues, most people will want to keep playing. The combat is fun even with the control problems and it's rewarding to pull off combos. The characters are cute and the translation/localization is excellent. If you do try to play this to completion, expect 30+ hours of playtime, not bad for an indie action RPG.
  6. Jul 26, 2012
    This Game is pretty cool! I am not actually into role playing and/ or side scroller, but the cuteness in sounds ,graphics, text and a nice story got me! I can not understand why the rating is so mediocre and how someone could rate this below 70. It´s a fun game! Wouldn´t pay more than 15 euros for it, but on steam sale, it´s must have! I rate this with an 8!
  7. Jul 23, 2012
    Very good JRPG sidescroller. It has a very classic feel to it, but the art design and sound are by no means dated.

This game is hard and even brutal at times though it stays fair.
    The combat/controls are very responsive and I would very much compare it with the way one controls a character in Street Fighter when in fighting, this also means you can not charge at mobs and expect to beat
    them as they all need to be defeated in a certain way and require skill. The game is also translated good, to the point where one is unable to tell
    Story-wise it's nothing ground breaking yet satisfying, but the perspective one is given is to my liking.
    Characters feel very alive and all represent a stereotype or another.

It will not hold your hand on the way through, expect to do some digging around in order to find out what to do next, but as there are many walkthroughs already it will be of no hassle.

Try the demo as it will reveal a great bit about the game.
    For what this game is : 10/10
  8. Mar 9, 2012
    The gameplay is fun and the combat system is far better than expected, it is both fun while there is plenty of moves you can do. Only thing could be that the companion AI is a bit too good, especially if you let it play as the main character and see her wreck up some combos while dodging pretty much everything.
    The story in the game isn't exactly a masterpiece, but it isn't exactly bad
    either. Graphically it isn't really anything to brag about, the animations are pretty good and so on, sadly the game does not support higher resolutions(Though what to expect) There is plenty of hours to put in the game, and it is cheap too.
    If you are interested in the game but aren't certain about buying it then I recommend getting it on a Steam sale.
  9. Feb 21, 2012
    A little gem, that will go unnoticed by most people. But I have to say that this 2d game was so much better and so much more entertaining than 99% of the games that we get these days. It took me 40 in-game hours to complete it and it was worth it. I had a feeling that I just finished reading an amazing book. If you are into jrpgs, warm and colorful stories, give this gem a try and I bet you won't regret it. Expand
  10. Feb 12, 2012
    At first glance, one could very easily fool ones self into believing this is an offline Maple Story. They would be VERY mistaken. The combat system the developers have chosen to implement was extraordinarily complex and rewarding, plus the amount of content crammed into this game was pretty insane as well. It is a 2D platformer / RPG with cheesy anime dialogue, and pretty 1 Dimensional characters, but it does its job.... it kept me entertained for a substantial period of time. A+ in my book, and I was glad that I bought it. Expand
  11. Mar 9, 2012
    The story in the game isn't exactly a masterpiece, but it isn't exactly bad

1. Apr 5, 2012
    A frustrating, obtuse, weirdly satisfying experience, covered in yayness and cute. [Apr 2012, p.56]
  2. Mar 21, 2012
    Held back by a difficulty that isn't satisfying to overcome, but annoying for its fiddly controls and cheating AI. [May 2012, p.77]
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    After wasting thirty hours of my time, this is one game that has no right to pass kindergarten.