Fractal: Make Blooms Not War PC

7.2

1. Apr 8, 2013
    Of the casual puzzle games I've played on Steam, this is probably the one I keep coming back to for a 15-minute break most often. It's simple in design, and can sometimes be difficult to really see the full effects of a given "push", or player action, several moves ahead, which is exactly what such a game needs to do in order to stay interesting as a strategic challenge.

Unfortunately,

Unfortunately, puzzle mode aside, much of the challenge of the game comes from either having to make quick moves (in arcade) or make matches (called blooms) in incredibly low numbers of moves, and forces you to rely upon the unpredictable dumb luck of having the game just plop tiles down in convenient locations for making more easy matches.

Especially since late-campaign or arcade mode almost entirely depend upon being able to make matches with special blocks you can't place yourself, this tends to sap most of the strategy out of the game, as you're largely just waiting for the game to give you the pieces you need to win, and it becomes quite frustrating when the game randomly decides not to give you any.

As a puzzle game, it needs to rely more upon strategy and less upon luck to really shine. I'm supposed to feel clever for doing well, not lucky, and when I do badly, I'm supposed to learn what I did wrong so I can improve for next time. This just makes it feel like a slot machine you just keep cranking the handle until you get lucky.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. PC Gamer UK
    Jan 29, 2012
    The game is an aesthetic pleasure to lose yourself in. [Feb 2012, p.101]
  2. Jan 4, 2012
    A flashy presentation and satisfying chaining mechanics make Fractal an addictive puzzler.