• Publisher: Crave
  • Release Date: Mar 24, 2002
8.2

1. Mar 11, 2012
    By modern standards, this rpg/linear rpg thingy feels bland and not fun. The graphics and art style are great, as well as the voice acting. I just can't continue playing. This game has not aged to well in the gameplay department.
  2. May 16, 2012
    The game is pretty terrible. I love the art and the over-the-top comic book-esque voice acting, and the atmosphere really captures that comic book feel, but the gameplay is awful.

Though the basics are in place, click something to interact with it, it's the extras that just flat out fail. There are pseudo-stealth elements to the game, and they just do not work. Enemies can see you no
    matter where you stand, your character is too slow and inaccurate to react accordingly. In fact, the slow pace is very obvious throughout. The characters seem to wade through water, and though your character is noticeably faster when running (at least compared to enemies) he manages to have the attacking speed of an epileptic sloth, and, on the rare occasion when a projectile based attack hits, you have basically wasted your time because of the sheer slowness of the game.

The earliest (and best) example of this, that I noticed, was the second mission. Though this is supposed to be a tutorial mission, unfortunately focused on the aforementioned stealth elements, the overall goal, especially the secondary mission goals, seem to be outright impossible with the guide of the game. Admittedly, if you're clever, you can get around this by ignoring the tutorial, but the point is that it seems to me to be a huge oversight when a tutorial doesn't actually lead to success, at least when it's intention is supposed to be success.

Though the game technically works, it has not aged well. The game is slow and plodding and the action is pretty underwhelming. Damage seems completely randomized, ranging from one hit kills (for no apparent reason) to barely scratching the enemy with the same attack an instant later, and, though you can technically react to the situations that play out, I never found anything more useful than letting my character auto-beat the hell out of the enemy with my only input being to tell him which enemy. Though there are many skills to choose, and many characters, it all just seems pointless.

This game just suffers from age. The mechanics are either boring or don't work, and, though it has a fantastic setting and voice acting (that really captures that comic book world) it doesn't manage to deliver on the action that should accompany that. It's just overall a disappointing game.
  3. Apr 15, 2012
    I won't lie, what completely ruined this game for me is the control scheme. I know its opinion but still. I just don't do point and click with a game like this.
  4. Oct 30, 2013
    Loved the content. Lots of characters and each very diverse. None of the premade characters are overpowered. Long storyline. Interactive/Destructible environment.Game has tons of replayability. Having a "danger room" adds to that replayability. Allowing the gaming community to add ingame skins, mods, sound effects, seemlessly is one of the greatest features to make that game unique with every run through.
    Was going to rate it 9/10 simply because the controls (especially the camera) are a bit clunky without any modifications. However, all the easily available freebees prvided by players (listed above) and the ease with which they can be implemented/utilized overcomes the one glaring annoyance.
  5. Mar 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Freedom Force is fun, addictive, and funny! The variety of environments (snowy hills, different parts of the city, underground areas, etc.) were so welcomed. Not only that, the different enemies you encounter are so vast! And the damage they do varies so well. Ice Warriors for Nuclear Winter either shoot ice bullets at you or use rays that knock you off of your feet. The voice acting makes me smile because it's campy... yet it's awesome.
    My favorites were Man O' War, El Diablo (nobody else uses fire so effectively), Man-Bot, and The Ant (shoving baddies off of buildings is so satisfying, as well as using his acid bomb).
    My main problem with the game, though, is how slow some of the characters are. If Minuteman is on a quest with, say, Man-Bot, you can bet Man-Bot won't be lending much help. Eve and Microwave are the same... they have powers which can help out a lot but sometimes you'll be waiting for them to just GET THERE already! With some missions being timed in a way (like stopping the robots from destroying a certain amount of buildings) this can really mess you up.
    But when it comes down to it, Freedom Force is a wonderful adventure that I'll take again and again!

1. A satisfying single-player campaign along with an incredibly engaging character creation system, however, makes this one a heartily recommended buy.
    The game's clever design and meticulously well-thought out, considerate presentation are accentuated by innovative gameplay that professionally melds the genres of RPG and strategy into a completely interactive and lively world.
  3. Freedom Force oozes polish and personality from every pixel.