Freedom Planet PC

8.3

1. Jul 23, 2014
    There is good games, and then there is great games. Freedom Planet turns out to be latter, thanks to developers paying attention to detail more than i remember seeing in quite long time.

Story is not exactly Shakespeare, and voice acting isn't too good, but atmosphere is still both exciting and charming. Partly thanks to visuals that actually looked slightly better in-game than elsewhere. Music and sound effects turn out to be top notch as well.

The most important thing, however, is gameplay, which is mix of various classics, without ever using retro-style-indie-game cliches, and it works incredibly fine as long you adjust sensitivity settings to fit your taste. But what is game without it's meat? Level design here is surprisingly varied and detailed, with lot of interactivity put into worlds. Enemies and Bosses are the main challenge, though, but even on their worst they seem decent. Game even occasionally has some clever tricks and strategies to use against them.

Extra stuff includes collectible cards in levels to unlock stuff in gallery, mahjong and Shang Mu academy, series of mini-challenges so fun that it must be illegal. And the best thing about this already content packed game is... there is still more to come!
  2. Jul 24, 2014
    A fantastic game that started from a Sonic template but has grown into something much, much more. Huge in design, perfect in execution, multiple characters, dazzling soundtrack, a suprisingly deep story that's fully voiced, don't listen to the haters, this is the hero that platformers deserve, and the one they need right now.
  3. Jul 24, 2014
    this game is beeyond good its fantastic! if not better if your scrolling through these reviews thinking about getting the game stop go on steam and buy it, its more than worth it!!!
    PROS
    -the gameplay is brilliant with a 2d sonic feel with really fun characters to play as! lilac who is a fast sonic type character with a boost carol who plays like zero from megaman zero and another
    PROS
    lilac who is a fast sonic type character with a boost
    carol who plays like zero from megaman zero
    and another character who you unlock who i wont spoil who plays like mario 2 or even mr gimmick
    -free dlc
    -amaaaaazing music!!!!!!
    -great voice acting
    -a good story
    -and amazing level design

CONS
    noooooone :P

haha just play it!! like now.. or later your choice
  4. Jul 28, 2014
    Strong female protagonists, a story/plot that isn't afraid to get brutal and challenge your perception of what to expect from a 2D platformer, a difficulty level that ALSO isn't afraid to be brutal... Freedom Planet is both a blessing and a challenge rolled into one.
  5. Jul 31, 2014
    This game is nothing short of awesome! We need more games like this! The pixel art is gorgeous, the music is catchy, the story is pretty good and, for an indie dev, the voice acting is actually pretty good. It's like playing a Saturday morning cartoon. And I mean that in a good way!
  6. Aug 2, 2014
    this year we had the great of shovel knight , but this does not end here but this does not end here because Galaxy Trail brings another exquisite wonder. if you are a Retrogamer like me he asked , I will have an experience like I lived with sonic the hedgehog simply go to steam! and buy this 10/10

CONTROL 10
    GAMEPLAY 10
    ADDICTION 10
    SCREEN DESIGN 10
    SOUNDTRACK 10
    FUN 10

only $ 14.99
  7. Aug 28, 2014
    Finally an indie game that is actually fun and enjoyable. It feels like too many games coming out of Steam's GreenLights are crap, but Freedom Planet takes me back to the days where I played Sonic as a child.

The story is simple, but it makes up for the amazing game play.
  8. sdc
    Apr 5, 2015
    A strong and solid Genesis era game. A fresh adventure filled with fast paced action and adventure. Certainly not pricey at any stretch of the word. Goes up with games such as Dust an Elysian Tail, Super Meat Boy, and Braid as examples of how to do it.
  9. Aug 8, 2014
    Freedom Planet is an amazing indie retro 2d side scroller brought from the golden times of the Sega Genesis era, the gameplay is like a mix of Sonic the Hedgehog, Gunstar Super Heroes and Rocket Knight Adventures. It will be a nostalgia bomb if you owned a Sega Mega Drive.
    Freedom Planet takes place in a fantasy world which was invaded by aliens who want steal the Kingdom Stone, a stone that works as a large energy resource.
    The main characters are Lilac the dragon, Carol the wildcat and Milla Basset, all the three characters play completely different and have some exclusive levels. The level design is beautiful and some levels can be very large. The boss fights are intense and amazing. The Music is another of the strong points of this game, until the point the game OST had to be released. This game has pretty challenging difficulties too.
    The voice acting can be amateur at times and some minor bugs may appear., but verything else is nicely done, Freedom planet is on the levels of quality of Shovel Knight, if you like retro games, then Freedom Planet is a must play.
  10. Jun 23, 2015
    This game is what sonic needs to be now.

If Sega were to look at this, say "Alright, we're giving the Sonic Team resources to these guys", I would be absolutely thrilled. Of course, the game takes more than just after Sonic, visually it is about the same level, and slightly surpasses in some points the aesthetics of Sonic 3 And Knuckles (What many would call the Optimal 2D sonic).
    This game is what sonic needs to be now.

Mechanics are heavily influenced from Rocket Knight, with the blue hedgehog's pacing and speed, and a level design that works I'd heavily argue better than both.

Like Shovel Knight is for the NES crowd, this game was made in mind not only with the Sonic franchise, but as a love-letter for the best Sega had to offer, and it shows.

Each stage is huge, more than often transferring between game and visual themes within the same stage in a seamless manner, every level brings with it a new and easy to use feature that enhances gameplay, and doesn't restrict it.

Unlike 2D Sonic games, which had the disadvantage of being made in a time that your playthrough required surgical skills and the good side of about twenty hours simply to complete, not to talk about master and re-complete in the case of multiple characters.
    - Freedom Planet has the advantage of being able to be fast paced, never drop its speed down, not to compromise with difficulty (When I choose normal, I can feel the heat, not that it's not made for Casual / Easy / Hard needing folks as well), and overall achieve the feeling we all want from "Just Going Fast".

As you might have guessed, I'm an avid fan of Sega games, and Sonic 2D games, and to all those that are with me there, I have to say - Buy this.
    All of you that need further persuasion, I'll have to boil it down to specifics:
    I've played Sonic 1, 2 3 and Knuckles, I've played CD, I've played the Advance titles to a point.
    This game takes all that worked in those games, and fuses it into a perfect mix of feel and mechanics.

Storywise, the game doesn't force it down your throat, you get the 'Classic' mode from the start, and you can just enjoy that and that alone.
    The tale itself is nothing new, and yet woven with expertise that would touch those who like the genre, and thus that are so tired of cliche's done wrong that they want the Feels again of these things done right.

With so many touches made so Right both storywise and gameplay wise (I don't want to spoil all the little animations and places GalaxyTrail made this game one of my favorite 2D games of all times), this game, obvious to all, was made with love, something that games like it (looking at you Sonic) lacked for a long while.

If I had to describe the feel of the game, it would be Non-Japanese developers and storywriters heavily influenced by Japanese culture and storywriting and then fusing in the mix of the Archie Sonic Comics and their TV show, if anyone still remembers that (if no, google those two things, it's a thing now).
    The 'We're just kids saving the universe!' and the Dark if Happy undertones the game is pushing underneath both works, and yet doesn't work quite as well as, for example, Earthbound (and the Mother series in general). Then again, who could compete with Itoi in these feels and things.

If there is one thing I have to say it shouldn't have taken from Sonic, is several small non-game breaking bugs.
    That, and some of the voice acting-
    Don't get me wrong, I have less issues with it than most people who played this game, it's just that when at times the people talking make you laterally cringe, is when you know that you want to patch the game in the future after making them do a few more takes on that certain line.
    And some of the voice actors are perfect and sublime for their roles.

I have to mention it last, because this is summary and what I want to emphasise as well-
    It has been a while since music was stuck in my head from a game. This game made it happen.
    It has good music, themes, sound effects. It shows that three guys worked on that alone (don't take me by the word, I'm doing this from memory).
    For my last word, this game has love in it, and it's perfect despise its flaws.
    Why are you still reading this? Go buy it.
  11. Oct 2, 2015
    I have played every sonic game ever; from Genesis to GBA, DS and Wii-U, including thad abomination of Sonic 4 episodes 1&2. But Freedom Planet is the real follow up to Sonic & Knucles. It not only follows the classic formula and gameplay - it understands Sonic is not just about speed but it's about speed, great plataforming and multiple paths - and expands on it. My first playtrogh cloksI have played every sonic game ever; from Genesis to GBA, DS and Wii-U, including thad abomination of Sonic 4 episodes 1&2. But Freedom Planet is the real follow up to Sonic & Knucles. It not only follows the classic formula and gameplay - it understands Sonic is not just about speed but it's about speed, great plataforming and multiple paths - and expands on it. My first playtrogh cloks over 20 minutes for each level, that's bigger than Sonic ever was. And it has lot's of exploration, unlockables and style. 2 diferente playable characters, lot's to do and see. The 16-bit art style is perfect. If this game were on Sega Saturn, it would be a generation classic. Somehow this game doesn't get the same marketing budget as, say, Shovel Knight, but don't don't think twice; get it!! Expand
  12. Apr 11, 2015
    Really fun, Sonic (the hedgehog) rip-off. If you miss the game-play of the first 4 sonic games, try it!. It is done superbly well and it is just fun to play it. The graphics are "pixel-style" and not very rich, but they do the job well enough. More games should learn from this one, how to implement fluid, responsive and engaging game-play! The game is a little short (took me 200 minutesReally fun, Sonic (the hedgehog) rip-off. If you miss the game-play of the first 4 sonic games, try it!. It is done superbly well and it is just fun to play it. The graphics are "pixel-style" and not very rich, but they do the job well enough. More games should learn from this one, how to implement fluid, responsive and engaging game-play! The game is a little short (took me 200 minutes the first time). It has a good replay value though. (The length is not considered for the score, only the entertainment factor). Expand
  13. Sep 5, 2015
    This game started as a Sonic the Hedgehog clone, but ended up much different (and better) than a Sonic the Hedgehog game. This game is by far one of the best 2D platformers out there. The music is great, the gameplay is fast paced and fun, and the attention to detail is phenomenal with truly beautiful 2D graphics and design. I would easily pick this game over Shovel Knight any day,This game started as a Sonic the Hedgehog clone, but ended up much different (and better) than a Sonic the Hedgehog game. This game is by far one of the best 2D platformers out there. The music is great, the gameplay is fast paced and fun, and the attention to detail is phenomenal with truly beautiful 2D graphics and design. I would easily pick this game over Shovel Knight any day, which is a big statement. Take my word for it. Buy this game. Expand
  14. Jul 24, 2014
    Absolutely fabulous game, i came here just to post and warn people about this guy giving negative review while everyone absolutely love the game.

The game really feels like a gem from the genesis era that was just recently discovered. I feel like we really got spoiled with freedom planet and shovelknight coming so close to each other ^^, both rate really high in my book. Heck i can't

I feel like we really got spoiled with freedom planet and shovelknight coming so close to each other ^^, both rate really high in my book. Heck i can't even remember when was the last time i had this much fun with platformers.

The playable characters each bring something different to the table and the replayability is really high.
    The difficulty is really well done, the curb being a little too steep at times, specially at the last boss, but it gives a sense of achievment right ^^
  15. Jul 23, 2014
    Freedom Planet is detail-rich, has a superb soundtrack, great controls, very like-able characters, interesting story and is actually very challenging without making you rage-quit (much).

There's collectibles, achievements, mini-games and planned (FREE) DLC, so this game won't be forgotten on game libraries so soon. There's someone creating a lot of fake accounts and rating this game

There's someone creating a lot of fake accounts and rating this game poorly, probably because this game has furries in it. Every game that has furries in it and isn't Sonic gets this treatment, sadly.
  16. Oct 22, 2014
    Great voice acting, humor inducing cut scenes, cute cuddly furry characters, solid action speed platforming, remarkable retro soundtrack, best boss battles I've ever seen in an old-school game & I've played a lot of old school games.

The game has Adventure mode, Classic Mode, & Time Attack. Adventure is the main game, lots of story & such. The voice acting is top notch & sounds great. Classic mode is the main game without the cut scenes, but these cut scenes are worth watching. Time attack is pretty much what it sounds like. Beat each level as fast as you can.

You can play as 2 starting characters & you unlock a 3rd character through the games Story Mode. Each character plays differently.

The main character Lilac is a Dragon Speedster who can attack with her hair like a whip & charge a dash in several directions. While dashing she is immune to damage for about 1 second, but it takes a few seconds for it to recharge. She also has an aerial spin that gives her a slight hover double jump & also does damage but can be hard to control & hit with in certain situations so this move is best used on flying enemies.

The second, Carol, is a Feline that can jump up walls & relies on quick attacks which can take out enemies very fast. She also has a motorbike which you can use after finding gas tanks scattered throughout the levels. This bike enables her to climb any wall & gives her increased mobility & a double jump that also deals damage. Carol is also the easiest to play out of the three characters available.

The third is Milla, a Puppy who has less health than the other 2 but can fly & charge to create blocks to then throw at enemies or use them to fire a beam & sheild herself from damage. You have to unlock Milla by playing the first 2 levels in the Adventure mode & she's currently only available in Classic Mode after unlocking. Milla will get her own Story Mode later on from what I've heard.

There are other characters that will be added later to the game as DLC.

The boss fights are fun & challenging. If playing on the hard difficulty (or even on normal) you will have a rough time. Every boss feels unique in how they attack you & has a strategy to figure out in order to beat them. Some bosses have a chain attack & if you get caught in it you can expect nearly certain death. During the tougher boss fights your friends will show up & throw health pickups your way or help deal damage to the boss with you.

The only negative thing I can say about this game is the FPS will randomly drop from it's normal 60 down to 30 at times & it will lock to 30 until you find a level transition. This problem only occurs when running the game at higher resolutions or in 3x Size mode. That and the game can get pretty hard, especially near the end where the difficulty spikes massively.

In short, this is the epitome of what games were in the early 90's & anyone who wants a good old school platformer, action game shouldn't miss out on this one. 8/10
  17. Jul 26, 2014
    This game came as a surprise to me. I heard nothing of it prior to launch but I was interested right away. Freedom Planet is a throwback to the old school Sega Genesis days of mascots like Ristar and Sonic The Hedgehog and it pulls it off fantastically while still being able to stand on it's own. I can safely say this game is every bit as fun as the trailers made it seem (even more)! TheThis game came as a surprise to me. I heard nothing of it prior to launch but I was interested right away. Freedom Planet is a throwback to the old school Sega Genesis days of mascots like Ristar and Sonic The Hedgehog and it pulls it off fantastically while still being able to stand on it's own. I can safely say this game is every bit as fun as the trailers made it seem (even more)! The levels are really diverse with different pathways, the physics are great, boss battles are creative and fun, the voice acting is really good and the sound track is top notch!

Besides the story, the game packs a Classic Mode that strips away all the cutscenes and plays all the levels in order, and a Time Trial mode. More features will be added and free so it won't get dull. It's a highly replayable game with huge levels and a lot of collectables. It also comes packed with achievements that let you look at the game a bit differently, for example there might be a different way of taking down a boss so experimenting and going through the levels more than once is highly recommended.

The controls can be configured to your liking so the button layout is never a chore to learn. The characters are easy and fun to control and it's a blast to play through each level. Everything pops out and is beautifully colorful, the sprites and character designs are amazing to look at, and every level still feels fresh after continuous playthroughs. I honestly can't think of anything wrong with this game, it's the perfect example of an Indie game done right! Do yourself a favor and buy this game! If you're an old school gamer you'll love it. It's highly inspired by the old genesis games but there's so much to love. It has a compelling and interesting story and it should not be missed!

I give it a 10/10!
  18. Jan 31, 2015
    Solid if flawed platformer with great visuals (some of the best pixel art I've ever seen), fantastic voice acting, and a surprisingly interesting story brought down by some of the worst boss fights that I've ever had the displeasure of running into. Deus Ex: Human Revolution level of badly designed boss fights. With those omitted, this would be an solid 8, as it stands its a 4.5. One ofSolid if flawed platformer with great visuals (some of the best pixel art I've ever seen), fantastic voice acting, and a surprisingly interesting story brought down by some of the worst boss fights that I've ever had the displeasure of running into. Deus Ex: Human Revolution level of badly designed boss fights. With those omitted, this would be an solid 8, as it stands its a 4.5. One of the first things the developers did post launch was to nerf the difficulty of the bosses due to overwhelmingly negative feedback but even without that overbearing level of raw challenge they're just badly designed which makes them frustrating rather than fun and brings the entire game down. Get it on sale if your a die hard fan of Genesis era platformers or when it hits bundles if you aren't. Expand
  19. Nov 19, 2016
    This is one of the best platformers I've ever played. Instead of getting hurt when you touch an enemy like old games, you just fight them with attacks. This game does have a lot of running and jumping, and use of the special moves is required to keep on. The boss battles are more complicated than anyting I've seen in the Genesis Era. Its also faster. Levels are long. The artwork is mostlyThis is one of the best platformers I've ever played. Instead of getting hurt when you touch an enemy like old games, you just fight them with attacks. This game does have a lot of running and jumping, and use of the special moves is required to keep on. The boss battles are more complicated than anyting I've seen in the Genesis Era. Its also faster. Levels are long. The artwork is mostly great, but I have some critiques. I don't like the eyes on the character designs. It just reminds me of MLP (My Little Pony). I think some of the background pieces have annoying color pallette (Dreadnaught level.) I absolutely loved the enemies throughout the game which provided some challenge and each had their own AI and style. I loved all the bouncers and all the level gimmicks. I hope they invent new ones next time. The artwork is not perfect, especially the color pallette in the last level. But guess what I don't care, because I had so much fun playing this fast and challenging game. Its better than Sonic 3. The design was great, but I wouldn't say its perfect or classic like Sonic 1 or 2. But that's how much I liked it. I loved this game. Its almost perfect as you play through it. The levels are all done with care. Good music, but not classic music. Great unlockables and extras make it so you want to play the game more than once. There is a lot of work that went into this game. If even half of this effort could go onto work on Sonic Mania. Will definitely will buy Freedom Planet 2. Finally a good 2d platformer game came out that isn't what I'd classify as indie garbage. This is the real deal guys. Expand
  20. Jul 19, 2015
    It's very rare to see a game made with so much love that came from Kickstarter as Freedom Planet. The level design is amazing, the game mechanics are used well. The voice acting seems amateur (despite having Dawn Bennett from Fairy Tail), but pulls through with the delivery of every line. This game certainly deserves a fourth critic review for a final Metacritic score. Anyone who hasIt's very rare to see a game made with so much love that came from Kickstarter as Freedom Planet. The level design is amazing, the game mechanics are used well. The voice acting seems amateur (despite having Dawn Bennett from Fairy Tail), but pulls through with the delivery of every line. This game certainly deserves a fourth critic review for a final Metacritic score. Anyone who has played games made by Treasure will enjoy this game immensely. My final verdict: YOU MUST BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  21. Sep 1, 2015
    From the music, to the gameplay, to the imagined universe in this series. This game is a great buy, and shows a very bright and promising future for Galaxytrail. This is a rare gem in the Indie game world that must not be ignored, and is a nod to the great 2D games of the 90's.
    I highly recommend buying this game, most especially If you are into the
    Classic 2D Action Platforming Genre.
  22. Jan 10, 2016
    Great, fast paced action platformer that's satisfying for both long time Sonic fans as well as people like myself, who never played the classic Sonic games.

The game keeps things moving constantly, through great levels that most of the time end in a climactic boss fight. However, prepare for a lot of retries and game over screens on your first play-through: the bosses are very difficult and will require a lot of pattern recognition. I know that's what they were going for, but it can still be very frustrating.

Luckily, the game is very much aware of that. After a game over you restart at the latest checkpoint, making lives kind of unnecessary, and you can change the difficulty halfway through the adventure if things get a bit too frustrating for you (something I did for the final boss because the second to last one dragged me through 7 or so game over screens). That being said, because they are so difficult it's extra satisfying when you finally do take them down.

You get to play as 3 different characters, each bringing different abilities to the table. They all have a few character specific levels, but most levels will be played by all three characters. However, since they all have their own ways of travelling through these, things don't get too repetitive.

As for the presentation, this is where this game shines. The pixel art for both characters and backgrounds is just stunning, the voice acting is great and the plot is very entertaining. Don't care for the plot? Just choose classic mode and you will go from stage to stage without ever seeing it. The music is fantastic as well, though I've heard the boss themes enough by now due to my many many retries.

If my rambling hasn't made it clear yet, I really like this game and I highly recommend giving it a try. The levels are very well made with many different pathways to explore and lots of secrets/collectibles to discover, while still being fast paced and action packed. There's a lot of original and challenging (mini)bosses, the music and sound design are top notch and the game is very pleasing to look at.

Freedom Planet is well worth your time if you're a lover of platformers.
  23. Nov 9, 2015
    Freedom Planet is one of the best platformers I've played in my life.

The gameplay, the controls, the sound track, the story, the characters... I enjoyed it all so much, I just don't get tired of it.

Can't wait for the DLC's.
  24. Oct 13, 2015
    I don't favourite a lot of games in my library, in fact I can be hard to impress. There are only 3 games that would reach a 10/10 for me, this being one of them. As a sonic fan, and that being one of my first games, I have a fond attachment to the play style. Freedom planet however, years down the road for me managed to do what the modern sonic I loved couldn't do, and that's make a decentI don't favourite a lot of games in my library, in fact I can be hard to impress. There are only 3 games that would reach a 10/10 for me, this being one of them. As a sonic fan, and that being one of my first games, I have a fond attachment to the play style. Freedom planet however, years down the road for me managed to do what the modern sonic I loved couldn't do, and that's make a decent fast paced platformer. This genre is dying or in the least becoming less popular and not as well made. Overall I felt alive and responsible for my progress while playing as to not just hold down right and watch the level go by. The physics are a tad messy at times but feasible and it makes it more interesting in a good sense. Story wise, it's average, unique which I like, but could have been handled better. Adorable, heck yes. The key aspect I love is all the unique features added either in Easter egg, small details to objects, and spending the time to appreciate things like characters and lore despite it's fast pace. It legitimately feels like the creator put in the heart to make something that works, ran smooth, and was beautiful. In comparison to the other few hundred games in my library, it's one of the best handled.

Also, Milla is best character.
  25. Apr 27, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Freedom Planet is up there with the best games I've ever played. it rivals Games such as Skyrim, Undertale, and Pokemon X in sheer Greatness. the Story is really Good. the main heroes (Carol, Lilac,Mila, and Torque,) have to stop Lord Brevon from stealing the Kingdom Stone, The Planet where the game place on, and stop three nations, Shuigan, Shang Mu, and Shang Tu. The game has Pretty good Gameplay, not super deep, but Fun. You should check this out. It's Only 15 bucks, more then worth the price. Expand
  26. Jul 26, 2014

I give it a 10/10!

1. Jan 4, 2016
    While Freedom Planet isn't a perfect experience, it is still a very enjoyable and easily one of the best Sonic the Hedgehog-esque games I've played in years. If you were looking for something to scratch that 16-bit Sonic itch this might be it. Just don't say I didn't warn you about the questionable story, voice acting, and late game bosses.
  2. Oct 27, 2015
    If Shovel Knight was a great homage to the NES era, this is an amazing homage to the Genesis and Master System era. It's what Sonic should be in this day and age, and it's quite funny that its developer wasn't SEGA, but an indie team with a lot of passion for the blue hedgehog. It has brilliant level design, great and tight gameplay, various playable characters, and good pixel graphics. What more do you want? A good storyline? Not there of course, but we don't really care considering the rest.
  3. Sep 3, 2015
    Whether it’s the engrossing gameplay, endearing character designs or light-hearted plot, Freedom Planet will likely offer something that puts a smile on your face. Plus, it’s probably the best Sonic game we’re likely to receive for the foreseeable future, even without the presence of the blue-haired hedgehog himself.