Freelancer PC

9.0

1. DesertFox
    Oct 7, 2007
    My favorite PC game of all time. Incredible single player story and atmosphere, and an unbelievably deep multiplayer experience.
  2. StephenM.
    Sep 17, 2007
    Amazing game, great control interface, amazing systems, great diversity. True doing missions gets old but thats once you get an elite ship you dont need to do missions then you can just explore the incredible game.
  3. Mar 12, 2012
    My favourite space sim of all time. Huge universe to explore, dark, immersive atmosphere and a captivating storyline. Sure, it has its flaws - the freeplay after finishing the story is extremely repetitive, for example - but Freelancer is an incredible game that's aged beautifully.
  4. May 29, 2013
    One of my favourite PC games of all time. The atmosphere is great, you really feel free in space and there is a lot to discover. There are many planets and space stations with different ships, weapons and goods for different prices. Opposing parties fight with each other as well as pirates with industrialists. It's the player's decision how he wants to play the game. You can try to findOne of my favourite PC games of all time. The atmosphere is great, you really feel free in space and there is a lot to discover. There are many planets and space stations with different ships, weapons and goods for different prices. Opposing parties fight with each other as well as pirates with industrialists. It's the player's decision how he wants to play the game. You can try to find freighters with rare goods to get their loot or you buy your owen frighter yourself and trade. It doesn't get boring for a long long time. I'm looking forward for a new game like Freelancer! Expand
  5. Sep 21, 2013
    Game that's been in development for years but never really finished the way it would satisfy most of us. Amazing and unique game.This game is still active on some servers, but mainly on the Discovery server through the awesome mod of Discovery Freelancer. It is a whole new game within itself created for the purpose of roleplay on multiplayer servers and which is by far one of the bestGame that's been in development for years but never really finished the way it would satisfy most of us. Amazing and unique game.This game is still active on some servers, but mainly on the Discovery server through the awesome mod of Discovery Freelancer. It is a whole new game within itself created for the purpose of roleplay on multiplayer servers and which is by far one of the best games I've played so far. It's a mod of the entire Sirius sector filled with awesome systems and factions. Excellently balanced in ships, strategic position with resources, commodities on the market and weapons. It is amazing. Not many people are playing it but there is always at least 100 people constantly online. If you ever try it then you must visit Gallia space, and then Nomad space. Expand
  6. Apr 9, 2015
    I owned and played this many years ago, when it was first released. Just a quick review to say play it if you have an older PC or not a gaming PC. Most modern systems with something like intel CPU on-chip graphics should run it.

Brilliant from the sci-fi perspective, it delivered great space effects and battles. The visiting stations was a little simple, when you chatted to quest-givers. E.g if you meet someone in a bar that wants some salvage collecting.

Other than that it's a great game. The ships, and upgrading ships is all cool. Buying new ship weapons and trying them out is always fun. If they re-made this I would buy it again without hesitation. Having said that I think it is perfectly playable in its original release.
  7. ZahruR.
    Apr 20, 2003
    Wow ! This is a ( SIMULATON ACTION ADVENTURE RPG ) everything you need. FREELANCER... KICK YOUR ASS!!!
  8. RonR.
    Sep 7, 2003
    This is my favorite game because The game play is never ending.
  9. EonfgeC.
    Jan 16, 2008
    Really, really sweat game. throughout the entire game there is action and a lot to do. only downside is, that when you finished the campaign, it quickly becomes repetitive.
  10. Oct 9, 2010
    One of my favorites for the PC- an engaging single-player storyline, incredible scenery, and a soundtrack that really brings you out into the Freelancer universe. While the free-play mode could use one or two more notches of depth, the online multiplayer was unique and the simple controls let you hit the ground running. This game's shortcomings didn't stop me from falling in love with it,One of my favorites for the PC- an engaging single-player storyline, incredible scenery, and a soundtrack that really brings you out into the Freelancer universe. While the free-play mode could use one or two more notches of depth, the online multiplayer was unique and the simple controls let you hit the ground running. This game's shortcomings didn't stop me from falling in love with it, and i still play it from time to time. Expand
  11. Dec 1, 2013
    I still play this game occasionally 10 years later.
    The criticisms about the limited scope of missions is true.
    I personally enjoyed the Level based storyline where you upgrade your ship to new ships. There's still an amazing amount of fan made mods and servers available to play on, which is pretty impressive so many years later. There's mods to update the drivers and screen sizes as
    I still play this game occasionally 10 years later.
    The criticisms about the limited scope of missions is true.

There's mods to update the drivers and screen sizes as well to wide screen which is really nice.
    On top of that updated textures and all sorts of stuff.
    It's still a worthy purchase all these years later.

I hope that Elite dangerous and/or Star citizen will trump it though.
  12. Jan 24, 2012
    Having spent far more hours playing this game than I probably should have I still have a craving to play through the single player campaign for a third time. Massive universe, great story, seamless controls, fantastic soundtrack.

I'm yet to get anywhere near as much enjoyment out of a game of the same genre as Freelancer. Needs a sequel.
  13. Sep 13, 2015
    In the core it is a great game. There should be more games like this: free like in The Elder Scrolls, but in the universe and not in classical RPG. The campaign is very interesting and motivation, there are a lot of items, that you can use to individualize your ship, the graphic was great in 2003, today you can still play this game, because there are some mods.
    The only little mistake is
    The only little mistake is the game outside the main campaign, the kill quests are a bit boring. Trading with a freighter is good, but it is a bit circumstantial to connect a freighter in your campaign, because you need only a fighter. If you could have 2 ships in the same time, this problem would be solved. It should be more like Morrowind for example, where you have interesting quests and get a range in a guild.
  14. Apr 18, 2014
    Fast, accessible and most importantly a lot of fun.

I've spent a lot of hours in this game - mostly in multiplayer with friends but the single player campaign is well written with plenty of twists and turns. Graphically the game still looks polished - I remember being blown away when I first saw it and they still look crisp and clear today - albeit with fewer effects you would expect
    Fast, accessible and most importantly a lot of fun.

Graphically the game still looks polished - I remember being blown away when I first saw it and they still look crisp and clear today - albeit with fewer effects you would expect of games today. Let's remember it's over 10 years old.

I recently saw star citizen and thought I'd dust my old copy of Freelancer down. I've just completed the single player campaign (for the third time) and am very pleased there's a handful of mods that take this further.

In short one of my favourites overall and by far the best for this genre in my opinion. Can't wait for Star Citizen!
  15. Nov 5, 2013
    Incredible atmosphere and novel game design. They need to make another one of these with today's modern graphics! Most satisfying space emulator out there. Highly recommended.
  16. Oct 18, 2014
    If I die just now, I acclaim an achievement of my life; which started when I first have this game. Literally speaking, once you get the game, it'll probably be the best you've ever played. A lifetime worth!! Mind-blowing, staggering, authentic - the list can go on....

Don't believe me? Just start the game, just do!!!
  17. Oct 21, 2013
    A beautiful game spoiled only by the microscopically tiny star systems (with planets sitting on top of each other) and the repetitive nature of the combat missions. If you enjoyed Elite or Frontier, you'll love this game.
  18. BradK.
    Apr 8, 2003
    Stunning Visuals, Great Controls, Perfect Plot and intense action. Space gaming just doesn't get any better.
  19. CaticusC.
    Jun 5, 2004
    Incredibly compelling storyline and even when that's completed it's still fun. However, it can get boring after a LONG time...
  20. ArielG.
    Feb 20, 2005
    This game is especially great on todays(2003-2005) video cards, just put it on 1600x1200 for some major sit backs..also with the TNG 2.7 mod you can have a totally better experience because they have ships from movies,starwars,startrek,babylon5..factions from babylon etc..really cool(and also multiplayer..sorry for the ad)
  21. AViewAM
    Nov 2, 2006
    I have this thing about random mission generators. I'm addicted to them. Like Daggerfall. I still play Daggerfall and it's what? 10 years old? Needless to say, Freelancer is on my permaplay list, along with Dfall, EU2, Civ3, and the entire BF series
  22. KelR.
    Mar 18, 2003
    Hands down the best game I've ever played! If you have a Lan system this is the ultimate game to play with friends. Of couse they could have been more ambitious with perhaps battles on the planets but the graphics and sound effects make this the greatest game ever made to date.
  23. JasonK.
    Mar 3, 2003
    Extremly fun! But as with every game... it has its flaws.
  24. DerekW.
    Jun 23, 2003
    I loved this game at first and was addicted to it. After I beat the single player I got sick of it. Sure there's reply value, but I got sick of it quick. Its the same thing over and over. With that said, I did spend hours touring each system. The graphics are very well done, but the repetitive bar scenes are annoying. Upgrading your ship is very simple and could be more elaborate I loved this game at first and was addicted to it. After I beat the single player I got sick of it. Sure there's reply value, but I got sick of it quick. Its the same thing over and over. With that said, I did spend hours touring each system. The graphics are very well done, but the repetitive bar scenes are annoying. Upgrading your ship is very simple and could be more elaborate (eg. colors, decals). This is a game like Max Payne, where the best of the game is brought out in modifications. I strongly recommend getting the demo to this game and going from there. Didn't care much for multiplayer since it was very easy for people to cheat and alter their ships. All in all, a solid game with a fairly good storyline and an exceptionally well done in the cockpit (easy to use, change radar, etc.). Expand
  25. Alex
    Jun 24, 2005
    The best game available for PC. it may be a couple years old, but it still kicks ass harder than a monkey on crack.
  26. JoeyK.
    Apr 9, 2006
    Fantastic game. One of my all time favorites, because I can always come back to it. It has an engagin storyline for a great single player, and then there's the same universe, without the story, online for anyone to play, and it is fantastic to join up with freinds to play. Compat is fun, there is nice progression and variety of ships and weapons. The missions you can pick up for cash Fantastic game. One of my all time favorites, because I can always come back to it. It has an engagin storyline for a great single player, and then there's the same universe, without the story, online for anyone to play, and it is fantastic to join up with freinds to play. Compat is fun, there is nice progression and variety of ships and weapons. The missions you can pick up for cash can be repetitive, but they're still fun, and they're not the only way to pick fights or make money. The galaxy is huge, and there is a lot of space to explore. It's really fascinating and great how you can go anywhere and know that you'll find something unique. There could be more detail, but to ask anything beyond the massive amount of space and locations provided is ridiculous. There is so much to do. And just flying around planets really gives you the feeling of existing in a world where interstellar travel is routine, and the dull repetitive communicatons you here turn out to be more realistic than repetitive. This is really a fantastic, expansive, immersive game. Pick it up. Expand
  27. ThomasP.
    Mar 13, 2008
    Here we are, five years later, and I still remember this game well, partially due to the fact that this game has been one of my favorites this whole time if not my favorite. The depth of the story and quality of the game was unrivaled for years and still is. Ladies and gentlemen, you can't find another game like this, and you probably won't, ever. That being said, when you beat Here we are, five years later, and I still remember this game well, partially due to the fact that this game has been one of my favorites this whole time if not my favorite. The depth of the story and quality of the game was unrivaled for years and still is. Ladies and gentlemen, you can't find another game like this, and you probably won't, ever. That being said, when you beat the game you get the excitement of exploring the galaxy and uncovering the mysteries of the outer factions, but sadly, after the hours and hours of entertaining play are over and you've done all that is able to be done, the game does get repetitive, praise the Lord there is a big modding community out there so the fun never stops! Microsoft really needed to make a sequel to one of the greatest games of all time. Did I mention the amazing voice talent? Watch the credits and be amazed. Expand
  28. Ender
    Mar 16, 2003
    The bar scenes suck, but the game plays nicely. Would have been nice to be able to use the joystick. Try to make the jump hole in the Outcast zone if you have a good rep. It's the run of your life! INCOMING!
  29. YeinelL.
    Oct 26, 2004
    The game was good until the end of the story, like all games, it has to end somewhere, they ended the story, but they didn't end the game, for you to explore what you didn't explore & do what you didn;t do. I think overall it was the best game i've played yet...
  30. Jun 10, 2017
    Best game ever. i have spent a lot of time on this title. It has a great story with memorable characters. Good gameplay and best cut scenes with good dialogs.
  31. Jun 2, 2016
    In the top quarter of my bucket list lies this entry: waste a lot of time a space fighter game that is somewhat close to this. Above are buy a LaFerrari Spider, which is probably more possible if I keep buying lotteries...

I miss the Microsoft that made this game, that made AoE, that didn't make Win10.
  32. Apr 11, 2016
    It's hard to express just how much of a classic this game is. The story line is pretty good, graphics are timely, and it just ends up being the type of game with incredible uniqueness and feel. Plus, it just feels right. I can't explain it.
  33. Jul 9, 2017
    One of the greatest space games ever made. There are a ton of different systems which all have different flavours to it to which makes them stand out. The graphics for the time were sensational and has aged well. Trading and doing side quests to gain credits can get repetitive depending on how many times you've done it. The story is pretty interesting and some of the voice acting is prettyOne of the greatest space games ever made. There are a ton of different systems which all have different flavours to it to which makes them stand out. The graphics for the time were sensational and has aged well. Trading and doing side quests to gain credits can get repetitive depending on how many times you've done it. The story is pretty interesting and some of the voice acting is pretty solid, but some of it is also mediocre at best. Exploring the game never gets old to me and I can play it for hours on end. personally it's more enjoyable if you've got a criminal reputation due to you having more opposing factions. The controls are almost perfect and they're also simple for rookies to this genre. It really is sad this game didn't get the amount of attention it deserves. Not to mention if you've played the main game already go out and install the Discovery Mod. one of the greatest games I've ever played to date! Expand

1. You'll be impressed by the graphics. They don't seem as jaw-dropping as they did three years ago, but they have held up nicely and allow for an astonishing number of different ships and other space objects onscreen at the same time, which makes for some very hectic battles.
  2. It is not the revolution in the space combat genre that many were hoping for, but it certainly is the next evolution.
  3. Freelancer isn’t just a game – it’s a way of life.