8.9

1. Oct 25, 2010
    Greatest combat space sim ever made fullstop. Probably my favourite PC game ever and one of the last of dead breed of games the combat space sim. If you ever enjoyed Tie fighter/X-wing/rogue squadron then get yourself a joystick and grab this game and freespace source code project (the community upgrade) and prepare to fall in love.
  2. Dec 14, 2011
    It's a shame this game didn't get the attention it deserves, because it's a real masterpiece. I very rarely give a perfect score, but Freespace 2 deserves it. The graphics, although old, are still more spectacular than most games I've seen in the past few years. The sound effects and the soundtrack could not have been done better, the gameplay is amazing and the plot and storytelling areIt's a shame this game didn't get the attention it deserves, because it's a real masterpiece. I very rarely give a perfect score, but Freespace 2 deserves it. The graphics, although old, are still more spectacular than most games I've seen in the past few years. The sound effects and the soundtrack could not have been done better, the gameplay is amazing and the plot and storytelling are among the best I've seen. If you like space simulators, you need to buy this game. Expand
  3. Dec 15, 2011
    Absolutely excellent game. It has an elegantly simple (but very compelling) plot, and excellent graphics. Although it involves enough controls to blur the line between 'simulator' and 'game,' this is actually a highlight--the control scheme is well-designed and unobtrusive. Ever 2-3 years I try it out again and find that I instinctively remember how to play and shortly thereafter why IAbsolutely excellent game. It has an elegantly simple (but very compelling) plot, and excellent graphics. Although it involves enough controls to blur the line between 'simulator' and 'game,' this is actually a highlight--the control scheme is well-designed and unobtrusive. Ever 2-3 years I try it out again and find that I instinctively remember how to play and shortly thereafter why I liked it so much.

Even better, the original Freespace 2 has been vastly improved since it's release (see the Freespace Source Code Project). My only regret while playing this was that I could never find anyone on the multiplayer servers, despite rumors of crazy tournament-based fun, etc.
  4. Jan 8, 2011
    FS2 is just one of the best space simulators you'll ever see, and with the new graphics system made by Hard-Light Productions you'll experience a flawless AI, epic sound, great storyline and much more: all in a perfect "ooh! shiny!" graphics, and there is even an online mode!
    To point some flaws, if you are into online communities, HLP won't be your average community: just missing a bunch of days can leave you way behind the discussion. Some guys told me that once there was a "squadwar" games, and you can see someone talking about that feauture on the other reviews below. This is only partially true: there is a multiplayer schedule, but the servers are almost deserted even during scheduled games, but when there is something up, fun is guaranteed!!
  5. Feb 10, 2012
    FREESPACE 2: First of all, I'm not a good Space Sim gamer, but this is a pretty fun game for the newcomers of the genre. Here's Freespace 2. It's a beautiful game for a 1999 game. It feels like a 2004-5 game. This game was actually intended to be a spin-off for Descent, but right now it's more stand-alone on it's own. The gameplay was just your normal Space Sim. You lock on missiles andFREESPACE 2: First of all, I'm not a good Space Sim gamer, but this is a pretty fun game for the newcomers of the genre. Here's Freespace 2. It's a beautiful game for a 1999 game. It feels like a 2004-5 game. This game was actually intended to be a spin-off for Descent, but right now it's more stand-alone on it's own. The gameplay was just your normal Space Sim. You lock on missiles and shoot your enemy's vehicle. The vehicle designs are not bad actually. You have your lock on target missiles and your normal infinite laser beam gun. The game is pretty challenging and it can be very intense too. If you are new to the genre like me, don't worry! As soon as you start the game, you'll greeted with a pretty good in-game tutorial. The single player campaign was great with an interesting storyline too. The voice acting is top-notch on this game. It feels like you're playing a Sci-Fi movie instead of a game. I really liked the theme for the game. The space just feels really like a space. Though there are some problems I have no this game. It really takes practice your you to hit a target with your laser beam as you won't hit it perfectly. And If you have a netbook, this game works well, but the problem is that you don't have enough buttons on your keyboard. The game uses more than all the buttons on your keyboard. Most netbooks don't have keypads which was used on this game if you want to strafe your ship. If you want to, just use your joystick. OVERALL: FreeSpace 2 is a good game. I can't really rate it higher because I'm a noob on the genre. So I can't really enjoy the overall feel of the game. If you really liked Space Sim games, go ahead and pick Freespace 2. You will be very satisfied, and newcomers should check it out. [7/10] "Good" Expand
  6. Jan 28, 2012
    Epic, and yet one of the saddest games in history. We will never see a Freespace 3 and the world is a dimmer place for it! I will never learn why the Shivans want to kill us, or how far Lt. Snipes career will go now.
  7. Jul 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do you remember space sims? Back in the days when the PC ruled the gaming market and games would be laughed out of the game if they didn't have at least 30 key functions? No? Then you should buy Freespace 2, an action space sim released thirteen years ago. Despite the release date, the game has aged quite well, probably since there's very little to render on the screen: the massive explosions and hectic sound effects still hold up quite well. As for the game itself, you are a pilot in the GTVA and must help the alliance crush a seemingly routine rebellion; but as the game progresses, you soon learn that there is a darker side to this rebellion business than a simple xenophobic ideology. The missions are well-designed and the action is balanced by periods of silence & chaotic dogfights. The combat is immediately satisfying, with enemies who react fairly intelligently to your actions, even if they have a tendency to bump nose-first into gigantic warships. The warships themselves are much more significant than the first Freespace, and will now attempt to brutally kill both you and other warships in a magnificent display of colour and action rarely seen in 90's games. So if you're in the mood for a good classic with varied mission design and a compelling, if character-less, narrative, get Freespace 2. Expand
  8. Jul 5, 2013
    The best space shooter ever. It's absolutely incredible today, and it was released almost 15 years ago now. Volition?? Hellooo? I want my Freespace 3, 4, and 5, RIGHT NOW..
  9. Sep 22, 2011
    A commercial product lovingly crafted with care and detail. A scifi story epic in scope and layered with mysteries. An instant classic with legions of diehard fans in a niche genre. Boy, they don't make em like this anymore. All these sentences describe Volition's much beloved FreeSpace 2. Not to be confused with the partitioning utility software, FS2 is a scifi space simulation whichA commercial product lovingly crafted with care and detail. A scifi story epic in scope and layered with mysteries. An instant classic with legions of diehard fans in a niche genre. Boy, they don't make em like this anymore. All these sentences describe Volition's much beloved FreeSpace 2. Not to be confused with the partitioning utility software, FS2 is a scifi space simulation which deals with an alien threat to humanity out among the stars. Sound cliched? Yes, it is. But combine the best aspects of space sims (Wing Commander/TIE Fighter) and polish it until it gleams with radiant storytelling and space environments, and you've got this treasured masterpiece. The first FreeSpace got everything pretty much right, but Volition outdid themselves on their second outing. Introducing dense nebulas to their already painterly regular space environs, the cosmic ether is a wonderful place to fight in. The pace of the game is leisurely at the beginning, but quickly ramps up to a deadly tempo as you fight to save humans and their Vasudan allies from the return of the Shivans, the antagonists of the first game. And boy, they return with a vengeance. Don't get comfortable now that mankind's built a huge new capital ship named the GTVA Colossus, the Shivans can more than match it. The twists and turns in the narrative are never anything less then captivating, and the entire game does everything to make you feel as if you're part of an epic struggle between spacefaring civilizations. In the end, questions will linger, which unfortunately must remain unanswered as it doesn't look like we'll ever get a Freespace 3 due to poor sales of FS2. One of the greatest injustices in gaming history. Expand
  10. Sep 20, 2014
    It's a nice game, but there are better ones out there made near the same time. The controls are all over the place and there is very little polish in the look of everything. The gameplay got old fast and made me want to play better titles.
  11. Jan 1, 2014
    it computer games one of the rarest things is when everything come together flawlessly. you know those incredible games with incredible gameplay but bad graphics, or the ones with incredible graphics but bad story, etc. etc. well, in freespace 2 everything just came together and you don't have to make a single sacrifice to enjoy it. flawless victory!
  12. Jan 6, 2012
    I still play this game, along with the original, at least once a year or two. Every time I play it, I still have genuine fun, which is more than I can say even new games these days. A true masterpiece in category, this game lives up the original and then some. Haven't played it? Play it.
  13. Oct 14, 2013
    What an amazing space combat simulation! It wasn't a great innovative game back then, but it took all the things of the genre to the edge! Game-play, story(-telling), graphics, controls, (and big battleships ^^). All flawless in my opinion and up till now never reached by any other space combat sim. This great shining star gives you all, whats fighting in space would feel like, to bad,What an amazing space combat simulation! It wasn't a great innovative game back then, but it took all the things of the genre to the edge! Game-play, story(-telling), graphics, controls, (and big battleships ^^). All flawless in my opinion and up till now never reached by any other space combat sim. This great shining star gives you all, whats fighting in space would feel like, to bad, this genre was near to dead back at its release. Nowadays the kids don't know, what a joystick is, time has changed.
    Enough said, i'm going to reinstall and play it again
  14. Jun 15, 2014
    Never played a game with as much atmosphere and and this coming from a space based shooter!
    PLEASE play this with a force feedback joystick. Wrestling the juddering controls amid waves of flak or fighting the Flailing Joystick after a collision just made this game that much more engrossing :)
  15. Jul 9, 2014
    Definitively the best space-sim ever made. While it creates it's own universe instead of basing on Star Wars or Babylon 5, there is similar depth in the space of FreeSpace. The plot is linear (with a few exceptions), but extremely immersive. The game is fairly easy on normal difficulty, but "hard" and above can be really challenging.

An open source port of FreeSpace (FreeSpace Open)

An open source port of FreeSpace (FreeSpace Open) enhances the graphics, fixes some bugs, even adds some new features. What's even more important are the free community made campaigns - some of which are just as good as the original one.

1. One of the best space sims ever made and is a solid candidate for game of the year.
  2. Multiplayer of course shines, and there's never been a better excuse to splash out for that cable modem than the multi-tiered dogfights possible in FreeSpace 2. The best of its kind yet.
    Still very derivative of the games that came before it. What's different this time around is that Volition has added to the genre instead of just cloning it.