Oct 19, 2011From Dust feels like a demo of Populous 4. Tutorial parts (with too much hand helding) ran too long, but couple of levels display the possibilities what From Dust could have been. Still worth the price, though. [Sept 2011]
Aug 31, 2011Even if it's short and single-player only, From Dust has at least one statement to make: that there are still special ideas around. Not necessarily perfect, due to the control and pathfinding issues that will annoy the not so patient players, but with a huge potential to evolve in totally new directions.
Oct 30, 2011To truly enjoy playing God you have to beat a few obstacles – technical issues, arguable DRM and user-unfriendly controls. Console-to-PC conversion took its price this time. [Oct 2011]
Aug 28, 2011I am shocked the Metacritic user score is so low on this amazing game. So much so that i had to sign up to Metacritic to have my say too.
II am shocked the Metacritic user score is so low on this amazing game. So much so that i had to sign up to Metacritic to have my say too.
I read the dev's are calling this the heir to populous and I would say that they are spot on with this. I loved Populous when it came out, couldn't stop playing it - same with From Dust. I love the fact that you control nature and not your men live every other god sim, that gives this a really fresh twist - which is exactly what the god sim genre needed. Sure there is a massive puzzle solving element to From Dust, but there always is to god sims and anyone who says otherwise would be lying or so well practiced at the same old god sim games they don't need to think about it (people who played every Age of Empires, Civ, Sim City etc. game would probably have to think a lot less than people like me who play god sims occasionally and don't want to have to watch several hours of tutorials just to be able to start playing like Civ 4).
I found From Dust fun, pretty and addictive. Having completed the main story I am working through the challenge mode which is really cool too. The only thing I would change with From Dust is that I would make it longer in the main story - but the cheaper price reflects the shorted game so it's fair enough.
I can't wait for From Dust 2, but I will probably replay From Dust a few times before it hopefully comes out.… Expand
Jul 15, 2012Great games. bought on steam for only 4 Bucks this game worth it. A fresh air of fun reminding populous. Don't understand why there are soGreat games. bought on steam for only 4 Bucks this game worth it. A fresh air of fun reminding populous. Don't understand why there are so much bad reviews. perhaps they play too many FPS...nice engine, great time playing it perhaps a little too short but you must definitly discover this game. He worth his actual price a lot :… Expand
Dec 1, 2011I found myself exasperated after a day or so of playing this game, but it is a great concept, fun while it lasts, and is rather beautiful. II found myself exasperated after a day or so of playing this game, but it is a great concept, fun while it lasts, and is rather beautiful. I find myself most intrigued by the physics, they are really good for such a small game. Since this is made by Ubisoft, I almost feel this is an R&D title that went retail. "Anno 2070" looks to have the exact same engine, but is like Sim City.… Expand
Aug 19, 2011### PROS ###
* Light revival of god-game genre
* Nice altering of landscape with basic elements * Physics of fluids and materials * Big### PROS ###
* Light revival of god-game genre
* Nice altering of landscape with basic elements
* Physics of fluids and materials
* Big potential of idea (but Ubisoft is not able to gain from idea like Valve)
* For 15 Euro only
* No need for high-end hardware and GPU
* You must think/strategize when you alter landscape (action will give you reaction later)
* You can make game harder when you keep or reposition totems to dangerous places (especially in later levels)
* Nice effects of volcanoes, water, lava, etc...
* Simple take/release of basic elements (lava, water, sand)
* Water tree (efficient with consequences when you place it wrongly)
* Multiple game profiles
* Cut scenes are real-time created, not pre-shot (except loading cut scene)
* Well created sounds and stylish ancient look of the game
* When people go to faraway totem/obelisk the game choose in 80% percent the correct path that you want
* People can swim to the nearest land
* People can die in lava (instantly) or water (after short time) with nice effect like in Populous
* You can flush people by water, or kill them by lava when they stuck somewhere
* Story narrated in ancient language (there should be option for English equivalent, because subtitles are sometimes quite fast)
* Well balanced growing difficulty from very easy level to medium-hard
* Bonus of 30 challenges unlocked in story levels
### CONS ###
* Low-budget game, so don't expect miracles
* Console port to PC (mouse/keyboard retardation and limitation, graphics limitations, etc.)
* DRM (fortunately you don't have to be connected to internet when playing, but S/N is permanently sticked to your UPlay account that you must create)
* DirectX 9 graphics only (glitches when objects and soft particles blend, low resolution textures, etc.)
* No advanced graphics options (but it's not needed since the game would not start after automatic hardware check I guess... it means that it requires minimal hardware for smooth play)
* Only 12 story levels and 1 open final level
* Very simple story (people were talking about finding ancients like one page of A4 script, nothing more... story didn't touch me anyhow)
* No random map with randomly placed disasters (consoles don't have enough buttons for totems)
* No SDK for modding and creating new levels by community (well, it's a low budget game)
* Mouse cursor is permanently sticked to ground landscape (annoying, but you can live with that)
* Max. of 4 magic totems per map because console gamepad doesn't have more buttons, right? (check every map what magics are assigned to keys 1-4, it's not same!)
* Keyboard hints cannot be disabled (Ubisoft, I'm retarded, I still don't know what to press on that object)
* You can't control your tribe people
* You can't control path where the people should go to totem (no waypoints)
* When one tribe member stuck somewhere and is not able to get to new totem, you are doomed unless you kill him somehow (you can't choose different tribe member and the game will not do that)
* Kites move affected by wind but tall palm trees not, why??
* When you pray to little obelisk or "ending" obelisk, you must always press Spacebar for confirmation, why?? I guess because of cut scenes. For totems and big obelisks it's not needed (there are no cut scenes)
* Repetitive and slow cut scenes that gets boring soon, so you stop listen to simple story (low resolution textures are very visible in cut scenes)
* No hotkey to cancel cut scenes like in Populous 2
* Sometimes it's difficult to take sand when a bit of water is onto it, because water is almost invisible (it may be frustrating)
* It's only you and scripted nature, so you may feel alone (not much suprises, no enemy)... implementation of multiplayer idea could be difficult since it's you and nature only
* Exploding and fire trees (for exploding and fire trees I would prefer instant magics, but consoles don't have more buttons, so don't expect it from Ubisoft)
* Exploding trees don't work when you put them to lava, you must put lava onto it
* Trees sometimes don't grow on ground
* When you challenge fire it's quite difficult to get rid of it (fire is very fast and needs a lot of water)
* Badly implemented map edges which may ruin gameplay in some cases, affect basic elements and give you permanent feeling that everything is in small square (even that you see that the map continues to fog)
* Tsunami doesn't look so good (it's like a flat wall)… Expand
Aug 21, 2011Apart from all the porting and DRM issues it suffers horribly from Spore Syndrome. Great idea, Eh game. It's pretty much the Simcity terrainApart from all the porting and DRM issues it suffers horribly from Spore Syndrome. Great idea, Eh game. It's pretty much the Simcity terrain editor, with some awesome physics thrown in, and dumbed down Lemmings gameplay added at the last minute. There's just not enough depth, and thus gets boring pretty quickly.… Expand
Jun 12, 2014My reasoning for giving this game a 2:
I bought it on sale on steam, but all the download did was give me a uplay launcher and cd key. I hadMy reasoning for giving this game a 2:
I bought it on sale on steam, but all the download did was give me a uplay launcher and cd key. I had to enter it there and launch from it, adding another account on top of what I had already. I bought the game well after it was released but authentication issues kept me from playing about 10% of the time.
The game itself was interesting at first, but ubisoft crippled themselves on drm. You play as 'god' and have a tribe that the goal is to help avoid disasters, but you do that by indirectly interacting with them, by doing stuff such as mold the environment.
If the uplay requirement was removed I would give this a 7.… Expand
May 9, 2013I'm going to forget the DRM/always online stuff because there is a game-breaking bug. I could not even finish the game because at a certainI'm going to forget the DRM/always online stuff because there is a game-breaking bug. I could not even finish the game because at a certain mission, I had a bug where villagers won't die, then I can't do anything. The game still runs, but a villager doesn't die, you cannot complete that mission, you have to start all over again. They'll get washed out to sea, still be swimming, forever. If they get out of water, they'll just stand there, forever, they'll be completely submerged in water, just standing there, looking around. It's bad enough I felt that the game itself was mediocre due to the controls being stuttery and delayed, an irritating AI, no pathing control, low frame-rates for the mediocre graphics. I found myself getting frustrated trying to get fire trees to work properly and honestly things such as this ruined the experience when really the trees and stuff shoulda made the game great. This is an unoptimized port of a game which should of been pulled.… Expand