4.8

1. Aug 18, 2011
    The game is certainly worth it's price. Great terraform puzzle with strong physics and graphics. The only minor flaws i've found so far is not very smart AI, unskippable CGs and awkward controls.
  2. Aug 22, 2011
    The visuals of From Dust, are simply stunning, with a great art style, that complements the games engine very nicely. The game play is very enjoyable, and I have already spent hours, just playing with the tools!
    The story is very deep and compelling. You can really feel how much thought, has been put into it.

Overall one of the best games I have played this year, and I'm sad so many
    people, have not been able to look past the DRM issues, and see the beauty of From Dust. Expand
  3. Aug 28, 2011
    I am shocked the Metacritic user score is so low on this amazing game. So much so that i had to sign up to Metacritic to have my say too.
    I read the dev's are calling this the heir to populous and I would say that they are spot on with this. I loved Populous when it came out, couldn't stop playing it - same with From Dust. I love the fact that you control nature and not your men live
    every other god sim, that gives this a really fresh twist - which is exactly what the god sim genre needed. Sure there is a massive puzzle solving element to From Dust, but there always is to god sims and anyone who says otherwise would be lying or so well practiced at the same old god sim games they don't need to think about it (people who played every Age of Empires, Civ, Sim City etc. game would probably have to think a lot less than people like me who play god sims occasionally and don't want to have to watch several hours of tutorials just to be able to start playing like Civ 4).

I found From Dust fun, pretty and addictive. Having completed the main story I am working through the challenge mode which is really cool too. The only thing I would change with From Dust is that I would make it longer in the main story - but the cheaper price reflects the shorted game so it's fair enough.

I can't wait for From Dust 2, but I will probably replay From Dust a few times before it hopefully comes out.
  4. Aug 18, 2011
    If you want a awesome God game, this is it. For 15$ your practically ripping off the producers for it and it is the best God game on the market, if there is even another one out there. There is endless re-playability and generally a solid game with good graphics and sound gameplay. The physics in itself is fantastic . The controls are absolutely fine, and can be changed in the options. Never had a single issue with the mouse or any problems with the DRM (although that does not mean I support it). Looks like too many people are raging about Ubisoft rather than the game and need to stop being so butthurt that it came out of Xbox first and not PC. Expand
  5. Aug 18, 2011
    I think From Dust is a great game after Populous, coz im a big fanatic of that game. The only sad thing is the mouse controlling on PC. Bought the game after the game released and yes i so much like it! I Hope the developers will give patches and also a Multiplayer option!
  6. Sep 2, 2011
    people said that the controls in this game were terrible, but i disagree. they're different but it's not like you cant find the cursor or it's unplayable, the game's controls are just a bit harder to use. and not harder as in buggy, i mean like it's part of the design if that makes sense. and the drm isnt bad, ubisoft just made a bad decision with adding a launcher when they could have just used steam to manage that stuff. otherwise, lots of bugs have been fixed from a patch ubisoft gave out and the graphics & physics look almost flawless.

overall, this game is fun and once you get past the launcher (which isnt too bad, so stop your whining you trolls) the games deserves a 9/10
  7. Jan 2, 2012
    From Dust (Steam PC version) Rating 10 / 10

Released 2011.08 (Ubisoft Montpellier) Played 2011.12 Simulation / Adventure (4-12 hrs)

[Playthrough] Play as a Deity protecting a small tribe from cyclical tides, tsunamis, and volcanoes; move earth, water, lava, and use magical powers to shape the world they live in. Help them found new colonies, discover knowledge, and adapt to changing
    conditions of their environment. This game was a breath of fresh air, really fun and hard to put down. I play very few simulation games. For me this was a diversion from my usual fare - see below. This game can be picked up and learned very quickly and plays out with tremendous satisfaction. A must buy for avid gamers.

[Challenges] Play just over a dozen scenarios. Each scenario has multiple goals - some linear, others not, and some optional. Timed challenges within each scenario are fun and abundant. There are few actual skills to be developed however observation, timing and innovation are required to use each one optimally. I was pleased with my progression throughout the game keeping the enjoyment high. Anytime I found myself not easily accomplishing a task I was able to sit back and experiment with success. Great physics make for believable gravity, water, lava, earth simulation. [Audience and Skill level] This game will appeal to a wide audience with any skill level. There is only one difficulty setting, and the game is not difficult. [Children] There is no offensive language, nudity, sex, smoking, drug use, or abusive personalities. There is mild violence in that villagers can be washed away by the ocean or may be smoked by the lava. Proficient use of a mouse to zoom around a 3D world is required.

[PC] E6600 3.0GHz / ASUS P5W Deluxe / 2Gig RAM / Radeon 6770 / 1920x1200 / XP SP3
    [Graphics] I played this on the highest quality settings and experienced no problems. The environment was beautiful. [Sound] I really enjoyed the sounds of drums and and chanting as I zoomed in on the villages, the sound of running water when near rivers and the ocean. Add to that wind, volcanoes, and tsunamis; it is a feast for the ears. [Controls] I played with a keyboard and trackball. The controls were easy to remap but the game did not retain my preferences; fortunately there were less than a dozen controls to remap each time. [Bugs] The game never crashed and never hiccuped. Sweet ! It was possible to build very high volcanoes that created shallow camera angles.

[Replay and alternative modes] You will replay this at least once. My first replay was most enjoyable when I hit the more challenging maps. The game permits you to replay each map individually. The hard maps I replayed many times. Every replay is different because it depends on how you build the world. The game also features a challenge mode. These are fun and short. [Lost points] I could not deduct any points for this game. [Wish list] The game is short at 4-12 hrs, but this is probably a blessing. I would have liked more maps - or even better - a level editor to create and trade maps with other players. At times during the game I imagined myself as the main character in Myst that created worlds by writing in books, each world with all of the success and failings consequential to my actions. Wouldnâ
  8. Oct 2, 2011
    Very pleased with this game. At this price range, I certainly got a great value for my money. Superb-looking, interesting and oddly relaxing, the game is engrossing and a welcome change in the tedious flow of RPGs and FPS. I hardly noticed any bugs and the controls are manageable, after some adaptation. AI could be better but then it's a puzzle game mainly, so the behaviour of the NPC is only a parameter in the solution and I did not expect any of the NPC to suddenly start building a bridge or something... The challenges are a welcome addition once you complete the main quest. A fun game with flaws, sure, but I applaud the new approach. (By the way, the whole DRM thing in the reviews is annoying, and a poor reflection on people's willingness to feel outraged and to bask in their anger, chill out already...) Expand
  9. Jul 15, 2012
    Great games. bought on steam for only 4 Bucks this game worth it. A fresh air of fun reminding populous. Don't understand why there are so much bad reviews. perhaps they play too many FPS...nice engine, great time playing it perhaps a little too short but you must definitly discover this game. He worth his actual price a lot :
  10. Sep 7, 2011
    I can't believe that the bad reviews! This is a GREAT game, not only a great tech demo for what's possible today, but also fun. Some people say it's too hard. Well, I had to restart one level, the rest i got at the first try. So it's not too hard! And I'm no pro gamer. It's also wonderfully designed and the Tsunamis are just epic. I wish it was longer but for the price it's perfect. I normally don't give 10s, but here I will, just beacause some people write "reviews" without even playing... Expand
  11. Apr 12, 2012
    I really love the gameplay within this game. yeah the Graphics could be better for the PC but they are still pretty enough. I was enjoying it immensely. The problem what that just as I started to feel like I was getting into it, the game was already finished. To be fair, the PC purchase price of the game reflected this so it is fair. I would certainly recommend it but I just dont understand why it is so short. All the effort to build a develop and great game and then create no content. It just doesnt make sense. I have been expecting a series of DLC to pop up since bringing up to a more full game experience in terms of duration, but nothing. I am left scratching my head just wondering why. I really do not understand why so many people dislike the game itself. It is in the same classic thread as the populous series and black and white although with less depth caused by the lack of content. A great game killed by a lack of content and the fact no one likes Ubisoft. However, one should give credit where credit is due. This is a great game experience. Expand
  12. Dec 23, 2011
    Really, that bad is this game? NO. It's such a beautiful game, you guys maikng horrible comments are coz you didn't understand how beautiful it is and how different it is and most of you just voted NEGATIVE just coz some guy did and that some guy did it coz some other guy who just did manage to get playing the game did so. Trust me Ubi did foul-up on that DRM thingy but it's fixed. So now can u say this game is bad, NO. It wasn't bad and it isn't bad, nice game, 10/10.
    Gameplay is so amazing.
  13. Sep 5, 2011
    Rate game, not DRM !!!. Realy great game, inovative and fun sandbox. For me its strategy game of the year. Especialy for 15 usd game. Finished it in one "breath". :)
  14. Aug 27, 2011
    I really really really wanted to like this. But they destroyed it. Screw ubisoft. Camera movement is horrible and the game is so simple I feel like it's not even worth $10
  15. Dec 24, 2011
    Its a fun and beautiful game, for $10 its worth it. Its kind short, like 20 hours but for $10 I wasn't expecting more. I think its worth playing.
  16. Aug 24, 2011
    Pirated this game after I heard of the brutal DRM and other problems, the funny thing is that it works fine for me. DRM doesn't discourage pirating, it encourages it. Overall the game is fun but there are some nagging problems like the inability to skip the 1 cutscene that replays over and over and also the lack of graphics customization. Created this account to make this review and the captcha was no joke "UB RIP"...fitting I suppose after seeing all these negative reviews!. Expand
  17. Sep 17, 2011
    This is a very original and beautiful game!! The ultra-negative reviews are a shame.
    Only the mouse controls are very glitchy. The game has been designed to be played with game console controller. The use of a Xbox 360 controller is a must. Ubisfot also recommends the use of it.
  18. Sep 4, 2011
    This game is awesome: great use of the elements, great graphics, original scenario.
    The only way you could be disappointed is if you expect a game like Black and White or Populous (other type of god games).
    This game is different, unique of his kind: if you like god games and look for a new experience, this is it. Plus at $15, this is really a good deal. I hope they will come with DLC...
  19. Sep 10, 2011
    I bought this game after seeing a video review on another website. I was intrigued at the concept and it reminded me of a game I used to play a long time ago called Magic Carpet where the player had the ability to sculpt the land up and down. I had a blast with that game so I thought I'd give this a try. Thankfully this game did not let me down. This is a strategy game so if you're looking for an action simulator this isn't it. You have to think in this one and use all your powers to solve each level and challenge. The levels were imaginative and involved and rewarding. Manipulating the elements to conform a map to your goal of capturing each totem site and then getting to the gateway to go to the next map. The challenges were also a lot of fun and left me with some interesting solutions. This is one of the best 15 bucks I've spent on a game in a long time. This game is really an advanced game that requires quite a bit of imagination and concentration. Most people do not fall into this category so I would imagine that is the reason for the poor reviews on this site. If you like a challenge to your imagination and concentration then this game will not let you down. If you like puzzle games you will like this one. Expand
  20. May 19, 2012
    It's the new version of Populous, it was a fantastic Playstation game (the first Playstation) years ago. It's more beautiful now with new technologies.
    A lot of (young?) people would need to go in the past and test Populous on the first Playstation to appreciate this new version and learn to play it ! C'est la nouvelle version de Populous, c'était un jeu fantastique sur
    Playstation (la première Playstation) il y à quelques années.Il est forcemment plus beau avec les techniques de programation d'aujourd'hui.
    Beaucoup de (jeunes?) gens n'ont pas l'air d'y adhérer, ils devraient peut-être faire un voyage dans le passé pour tester populous sur la première playstation et apprendre à y jouer !
  21. Feb 19, 2014
    Unfortunatly most people judge this game because of DRM - which I dislike too - but we should judge the game, not the circumstances. And the game really is fantastic. I often just doodle for hours building great vulcano lakes or crazy rivers that end in huge waterfall. The physics are so well done, the controls minimalistic yet effective - overall i have to say, one of my favorite games! The only true criticism I have is that it is too short! the campaign should be longer or they should offer some DLC, I would just love to play another campaign. Expand

To truly enjoy playing God you have to beat a few obstacles – technical issues, arguable DRM and user-unfriendly controls. Console-to-PC conversion took its price this time. [Oct 2011]
  2. Oct 19, 2011
    From Dust feels like a demo of Populous 4. Tutorial parts (with too much hand helding) ran too long, but couple of levels display the possibilities what From Dust could have been. Still worth the price, though. [Sept 2011]
  3. Sep 15, 2011
    From Dusk is a very interesting title to play, but could have been a great game if the controls and difficulty were more polished.