From Dust PC

4.8

1. Dec 27, 2011
    EDIT!!! : Very sad... Great game... mouse pointer very sluggish and inaccurate, but liveable.. THE MAIN and SEVERE POINT IS... level 7 "High Tides" is broken on the PC version... you can not finish it in 1 out of 100 attempts and if you do it was by pure chance. The XBOX version will show you the difference between it and the PC version, essentially there is a submerged land bridge thatEDIT!!! : Very sad... Great game... mouse pointer very sluggish and inaccurate, but liveable.. THE MAIN and SEVERE POINT IS... level 7 "High Tides" is broken on the PC version... you can not finish it in 1 out of 100 attempts and if you do it was by pure chance. The XBOX version will show you the difference between it and the PC version, essentially there is a submerged land bridge that becomes dry and passable on the XBOX, but never becomes dry or "walk-able" in the PC version. This makes the game impossible to finish, even if you do pass to the island, the water-flood problem prohibits you from completing the final stage of this level. Other than that, it is a brilliant game... just that you can not finish it :( Expand
  2. Jul 27, 2012
    Although short, this game left a lasting impression on me. From the breathtaking real-world physics to the simple yet intuitive idea that nature guides the world you shift, this game is a great casual title for almost any person looking for something beyond the simple games like Peggle. You star in the game as nature, err a god who shapes the natural world around a group of natives, andAlthough short, this game left a lasting impression on me. From the breathtaking real-world physics to the simple yet intuitive idea that nature guides the world you shift, this game is a great casual title for almost any person looking for something beyond the simple games like Peggle. You star in the game as nature, err a god who shapes the natural world around a group of natives, and your overall goal is to help the natives spread across the land; it is a simple yet charming story. You can move, create and destroy land, water, and more, and can harness other abilities as well. You can also use some of the plants in the environment to aid you, like water-expelling flowers or fire trees; however, these can also work against you. The mechanics of this game require often a beautiful mastery of balance. Contrary to what some others seem to think, the controls are simple enough - usually just click and drag, but occasionally one can use special powers granted by totems to perform special powers; many of the challenges are easy enough with this set-up. The camera does have a few issues, some of which are programmed a certain way and require getting use to; for example, the reticle that one uses is always to be centered on the screen, so even the slightest movement will cause the player's map view to shift; however, there are a few, though sparse, issues where the camera is just finicky. The most impressive part of this game is the visuals, notably the liquid physics; water, lava, and even sand flow and interact with the environment so well and seamlessly. The plants blow in the wind and burn within a fire, and the villagers have their own unique look (although their models are limited). Really my only major qualm with this game is that the story mode itself is short; it took me about 5-6 hours to complete. After that, there are many challenge maps to complete, but many of these are quick to beat. Overall, I really loved the game, I just wish there were more maps and a longer story mode to it. Also, a full- fledged sandbox mode that can be shared with other players would be nice too.

To address the DRM, I agree with many of the people, but for me dealing with it and uPlay (Ubisoft's PC game platform) is not a big deal; I just don't like or understand why I have to launch another platform aside from Steam to play From Dust. All that is really required is to set up a uPlay account and you're good.
  3. Aug 20, 2011
    I bought the game as I have a new PC and want to see what it can do - IGN basically said this game could only have come out now due to the excellent graphics and reliance on physics. Honestly... its on par with black and white. Dated, obviously a port, no graphics options, simple puzzles.

Boring game, ill probably finish it but its not epic. 6/10
  4. Aug 21, 2011
    The Steam version is non-functional at worst and horrifically buggy at best, while Ubisoft's support team still haven't responded after several games. This release has been utterly disappointing, a total waste of $15.
  5. Aug 18, 2011
    This game is absolute garbage. I bought it because I thought it would not have drm. And guess what, it does.
    ubisoft has turned into a terrible company that lies to their customers. I will not be buying anymore games from them.
  6. Aug 22, 2011
    Stay away from this port. The game itself, is pretty cool. Its more of a environmental puzzle game than a "god" game, but what it does is very entertaining and the graphics are absolutely amazing for XBOX live (not so much for PC, more later). If you have XBOX live, consider that the only version of this game and get it on that.

As for this PC port, this most definitely ranks among the

As for this PC port, this most definitely ranks among the worst console to PC ports ever made. Lets get the elephant out of the way first. Ubisoft lied about the games DRM. Originally stating you would only need to activate the game online once, you actually need to activate it online EVERY single time you play. There is no offline option, rendering the game useless on laptops. Other than the DRM, the game has no graphic settings to speak of, a fixed 30 FPS cap, and some of the most god awful mouse controls you will ever experience. To sum it up, this is an absolute garbage PC game. Dont buy it on PC, period.
  7. Aug 29, 2011
    This is an awesome game. Graphics are gorgeous, gameplay is totally unique, and the underlying tech is state of the art. There is nothing else like this out there. Its difficult in a good way and part of the fun is learning how to use the spells. I wish there was more content, but as a whole, its a steal at $15. I really think the bad reviews are related to the always on DRM. ThatThis is an awesome game. Graphics are gorgeous, gameplay is totally unique, and the underlying tech is state of the art. There is nothing else like this out there. Its difficult in a good way and part of the fun is learning how to use the spells. I wish there was more content, but as a whole, its a steal at $15. I really think the bad reviews are related to the always on DRM. That doesn't bother me since I play on steam on my desktop. I am already 'always on'. Some claims in the other reviews are downright false. No mouse sensitivity? C'mon dude its 2 clicks from the main menu under common controls. I had no technical issues on my mid range, 2 year old PC.

If you are tired of the same old games and looking for some new emergent game play, I strongly recommend 'from dust'.
  8. Aug 17, 2011
    A good idea and attempt at the God game genre, but thanks to the work of Ubisoft, this game is not one I'd recommend to anybody. The game, thanks to the DRM, requires you to have the Ubisoft launcher. In order to launch the game, you need to make an account and tie your serial key to your account. For those buying the game through Steam or some other digital distributor, you'll need toA good idea and attempt at the God game genre, but thanks to the work of Ubisoft, this game is not one I'd recommend to anybody. The game, thanks to the DRM, requires you to have the Ubisoft launcher. In order to launch the game, you need to make an account and tie your serial key to your account. For those buying the game through Steam or some other digital distributor, you'll need to make a new account on Ubisoft's end to even play the game. For many, this Ubisoft launcher is unstable and causes more problems than it should, which if encountered, won't let you run the game at all.

Once you load the game, you'll be greeted by a game with limited graphics options, with the only choice being to change resolutions. And once you start a new game and get into gameplay, the obvious lack of Anti Aliasing and the frame limited forcing the game to run at 30fps is noticeable, and hinders on the game graphically. Actual gameplay gets to be more disappointing, with mouse scrolling causing the cursor to spaz out, moving the camera all over the place and with mediocre camera controls overall. Luckily, the former of those two is able to be fixed, with the developers including an option to turn off mouse scrolling.

Overall, this is a great idea spawned from the great mind of Eric Chahi, but hindered by Ubisoft's troublesome DRM and the obvious lack of care put into this PC port.
  9. Aug 18, 2011
    From the console reviews and with the name Eric Chahi I expected this game to be fantastic and purchased it as soon as it launched.

Big mistake. Instead of a fun God-game with great art direction and graphics I got this unplayable mess with terrible controls that runs and looks like ass on my rig (which runs Crysis 2 and every modern game maxed out by the way). The mouse controls are

Big mistake.

Instead of a fun God-game with great art direction and graphics I got this unplayable mess with terrible controls that runs and looks like ass on my rig (which runs Crysis 2 and every modern game maxed out by the way). The mouse controls are just broken and frustrating, the game runs between 15 and 30fps for seemingly no reason and there are no graphic options to speak of except for the option to change the resolution. Awful controls and performance plus a complete lack of polish show the lack of effort Ubi Soft put into this port, something they are getting a reputation for, I would have derived more enjoyment and less disappointment from just lighting the $15 this pile cost me on fire.

Do not buy unless Ubi fixes it, which they won't, as usual.
  10. Aug 18, 2011
    If you want a awesome God game, this is it. For 15$ your practically ripping off the producers for it and it is the best God game on the market, if there is even another one out there. There is endless re-playability and generally a solid game with good graphics and sound gameplay. The physics in itself is fantastic . The controls are absolutely fine, and can be changed in the options.If you want a awesome God game, this is it. For 15$ your practically ripping off the producers for it and it is the best God game on the market, if there is even another one out there. There is endless re-playability and generally a solid game with good graphics and sound gameplay. The physics in itself is fantastic . The controls are absolutely fine, and can be changed in the options. Never had a single issue with the mouse or any problems with the DRM (although that does not mean I support it). Looks like too many people are raging about Ubisoft rather than the game and need to stop being so butthurt that it came out of Xbox first and not PC. Expand
  11. Aug 18, 2011
    Always on DRM, the ultimate Screw you to PC gamers. Not that great a game, reminiscent of god games like black and white without the features. The Ai for the tribes men is absolutely frustrating. Could have been a good game, but it feels as though you are rushed through it.
  12. Aug 18, 2011
    At the moment the game is unplayable on the PC. Frustrating controls, unskippable cut-scenes that you have to watch every single time you restart a level (which will be often since, as I mentioned, it is currently nearly impossible to play), bad AI pathfinding, unexpected behavior, bugs left and right. I wanted to like it, but I seriously regret buying this game.
  13. Aug 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The developers said, "Do not expect Black and White", and so I didn't.

From Dust is an excellent, tightly focused sandbox god-game that consists of a sequence of story levels alongside separate timed challenges set in the story levels. A new pair is unlocked each time the preceding story level is completed.

You play the part of â
  14. Aug 20, 2011
    The graphics and physics of this game are awesome. No question about that. However, it looks like a classic "god" game and one of the challenge texts even names Molineux as an inspiration. Even the Metacritic summary calls it a god game. In reality, this game has little in common with a Populous or Magic Carpet where you always have to use some kind of strategy. From Dust is a PUZZLE in anThe graphics and physics of this game are awesome. No question about that. However, it looks like a classic "god" game and one of the challenge texts even names Molineux as an inspiration. Even the Metacritic summary calls it a god game. In reality, this game has little in common with a Populous or Magic Carpet where you always have to use some kind of strategy. From Dust is a PUZZLE in an unusually pretty package. Once you have solved the puzzle, you will always win this scenario by the exact same course of action. There is no AI and no challenge beyond that. There is no replay value. I can even understand that the console versions are rated quite favourably because there it does not have to stand up to the comparison against the GAMEPLAY of a Popolous 2.
    Unlike others I did not have a problem with the camera or controls. They were awkward at times but never a game-stopper. The DRM - well, the online activation worked fine, I started the game once played it all the way through (no crashes!), played all but one of the "challenges", then uninstalled it.
  15. Aug 21, 2011
    From Dust is worth a play-through. The engine is really fun to mess around with and it's a great idea. For $15 and about 10 hours of story you get what you pay for. This is not Black & White III. The game suffers from default awkward camera coding (which there IS on option for!!), terrible AI, un-skippable CG sequences, and some very boring songs from the tribe, in my opinion.From Dust is worth a play-through. The engine is really fun to mess around with and it's a great idea. For $15 and about 10 hours of story you get what you pay for. This is not Black & White III. The game suffers from default awkward camera coding (which there IS on option for!!), terrible AI, un-skippable CG sequences, and some very boring songs from the tribe, in my opinion. Listening to the repel-water spell over and over becomes very monotonous. Less horn and a lot more drums, I think, would make for better songs. 7/10 in the current state, but if the AI was updated I'd give it an 8/10. Expand
  16. Aug 22, 2011
    the Game fails with its resolution. the premise is very promising though.... it fails to be engaging in the long run... but maybe when they update the game with different modes, it can be playable...
  17. Aug 24, 2011
    After watching a few trailers for this one a few weeks ago, I was very curious in how this game would play. It's a cool idea to be a kind of all powerful elemental god of an ancient tribe, especially for 15 bucks, but unfortunately it seems its just not that fun. While playing though this I just felt like i didn't have all that much to do. Every level seemed to play like a tutorial whereAfter watching a few trailers for this one a few weeks ago, I was very curious in how this game would play. It's a cool idea to be a kind of all powerful elemental god of an ancient tribe, especially for 15 bucks, but unfortunately it seems its just not that fun. While playing though this I just felt like i didn't have all that much to do. Every level seemed to play like a tutorial where you were learning some cool ability but never getting a level where you have the power to use them as you would want to or the choice on when to use it. I guess i have been pretty hard on this game and maybe i was expecting something else but its not all bad it looks nice and the control was good enough (mouse scroll could get a bit strange) but its ok for a dumbed down version of lemmings. Expand
  18. Aug 25, 2011
    this game is a bad port of a bad game. let me explain points by points why you should avoid from dust like the plague.
    1. bad port : it does not support well normal computer and cant exploit the pc potential as such you get: a.choppy graphic
    b.low fps (30 on a nvidia GTX 570) c.memory leak d.processing leak 2.it lack's mouse capture witch make it impossible to play if you have more than
    b.low fps (30 on a nvidia GTX 570)
    c.memory leak
    d.processing leak

2.it lack's mouse capture witch make it impossible to play if you have more than one screen (witch is my case)

3.crappy redundant DRM (yes you herd me) make's it even worse

4. lastly if you played the MUCH better game Black & White you well this is a downgrade if the tutorial level repeated again and again throughout the game.

you're much better off playing minecraft or terraria as a Gog-game than this
  19. Sep 2, 2011
    Same as others, great potential, terrible result. Even as a puzzle game/strategy game alone, this game fails. All levels for the first 90% of the game could be solved by a lobotomized monkey, but then the game throws you a curveball level that has more a twitch minigame than a puzzle. Honestly, I would recommend trying before buying.
  20. Sep 3, 2011
    The landscape graphics and physics are amazing, rivers will evolve on it's own, carve canyons and develop river deltas, lava will create mountains. But, the problem is that the game play is nothing more than a poor showcase of the landscape engine. After you finish the campaign and tried some challenge missions (in a day or so) there is no replay value whatsoever. What I'm truly lacking isThe landscape graphics and physics are amazing, rivers will evolve on it's own, carve canyons and develop river deltas, lava will create mountains. But, the problem is that the game play is nothing more than a poor showcase of the landscape engine. After you finish the campaign and tried some challenge missions (in a day or so) there is no replay value whatsoever. What I'm truly lacking is a custom game you would expect in a god game like this. But there are none since the actual game elements are not developed enough to allow for this. This game engine could be the base of an amazing god game, however, this game is not it. Expand
  21. Sep 4, 2011
    This game is awesome: great use of the elements, great graphics, original scenario.
    The only way you could be disappointed is if you expect a game like Black and White or Populous (other type of god games).
    This game is different, unique of his kind: if you like god games and look for a new experience, this is it. Plus at $15, this is really a good deal. I hope they will come with DLC...
  22. Oct 28, 2011
    What looks like fun soon turns out to be extremely boring. While the game does look nice, that's about it, and with an obvious console port, this game is absolute rubbish. Ubisoft as a publisher has completely lost my support with their stupid anti pirate protection requiring internet connection.
  23. Dec 23, 2011
    I can't help but feel like most people reviewing this game are stuck complaining about Ubisoft rather than discussing From Dust as a product. It has a terrible DRM that should never have existed, I'm not going to argue that. There isn't a debate that Ubisoft dropped the ball concerning the release of this game, but does that mean the game is bad? I don't think so. The camera controls areI can't help but feel like most people reviewing this game are stuck complaining about Ubisoft rather than discussing From Dust as a product. It has a terrible DRM that should never have existed, I'm not going to argue that. There isn't a debate that Ubisoft dropped the ball concerning the release of this game, but does that mean the game is bad? I don't think so. The camera controls are clunky, but it can easily be overcome by playing the game for more than 10 minutes, but that is the problem with the people reviewing this game. 95% of them don't play longer than 10 minutes, if at all, before coming to conclusion. This game is beautiful, the dynamic world is beyond incredible, and while short, the story is fun. What people aren't understanding is that this isn't some high-budget game that costs players $50. Had it been, people would be far more justified in their harsh reviews, but it isn't. It is only $15 ($7.50 at the time of writing this review during the Steam Holiday Sale), and for that price, you are getting an amazing game. Expand
  24. DX9
    Jan 26, 2012
    For a self-confessed "God-game", Ubisoft's 'From Dust' is almost anything but. The premise is promising: using your God-like powers, alter and terraform the landscape of an ever-changing island to solve logistical problems for a nomadic, faceless tribe. However, the final product proves not only tedious to play, but hypercritical of the genre it claims to be: a railroad-like story whichFor a self-confessed "God-game", Ubisoft's 'From Dust' is almost anything but. The premise is promising: using your God-like powers, alter and terraform the landscape of an ever-changing island to solve logistical problems for a nomadic, faceless tribe. However, the final product proves not only tedious to play, but hypercritical of the genre it claims to be: a railroad-like story which forces you to use your powers at certain times and intervals; a notoriously, somewhat-infamously stupid AI who, although yearn to live in an island paradise, for some reason cannot seem to grasp walking through a puddle of water to another island; and a constant shift in gameplay balance which, therefore, refuses you to control the game effectively. Moreover, Ubisoft's tyrannical, dictatorial DRM proves overtly annoying, forcing you to sign up to Uplay (what the?) to play - a Steam-like digital device, without the extra features, and with more of the propaganda Ubisoft enjoys emitting. That is, in conclusion, if you can actually get the game to run at all. Expand
  25. Mar 1, 2012
    I watched a lets play of this on youtube, the guy I watched was playing it on Xbox360, it looked amazing and great! I was fascinated with it! I could deal with the horrible story line, so I thought I would buy the game as soon as I could. So I went out, got a pre-paid visa card, and bought the game (I don't buy many games at all) and I was really excited. The DRM popped up, I didn't knowI watched a lets play of this on youtube, the guy I watched was playing it on Xbox360, it looked amazing and great! I was fascinated with it! I could deal with the horrible story line, so I thought I would buy the game as soon as I could. So I went out, got a pre-paid visa card, and bought the game (I don't buy many games at all) and I was really excited. The DRM popped up, I didn't know what those were at the time, but I know that they are really frustrating seeing as I had to download random crap I never heard of nor did I think that random crap was necessary to the game since I had installed that. So I figured, wow, this is inconvenient, but I can deal with this I guess. I didn't know at the time that it meant I had to suffer memory leaks and such from my laptop, my ACER LAPTOP! So it can't run games all that well at all, but now I have to suffer with this DRM taking up power I will need to run the damn game! Then I learned that they had no graphics options. So I am stuck with a game that cut my frames anyway with a cap, but added the insult to any gamer that doesn't have and can't afford a beast of a PC through not having any graphical options whatsoever! So I was able to finally run the game, after about 4 or 5 hours of dealing with issues from installation, the DRM, and the game launching. But, I found out that my laptop, which easily met the minimum hardware requirements, got all of 4 frames a second on the game. FOUR! When it is capped at a barley decent frame rate of 30, I am able only to view still frames of the first level which was marred by motion blur and crap.

Along with bad frame rate, I got horrible game lag as well! It took me at least 15 to 20 minutes to get through the birth of the breath cutscene which, if memory serves, should take all of 3 minutes maximum! My laptop isn't the best, but it isn't that crap. From the lets play of From Dust I saw on youtube I recommend getting it on Xbox360, it looks great and plays well on there, if you have anything less than a stellar PC or a really expensive gaming laptop, don't bother with this, you won't be able to run it.
  26. Mar 15, 2013
    I just purchased this off steam for something like $4...money well spent. I'm seeing lot of the negative comments are from a bad launch/bugs...it seems a lot of it has been ironed out. The game is original and intriguing. Even for the regular $15 on steam you should check it out.
  27. Sep 16, 2013
    There are some minor gameplay "spoilers" in this review but nothing fancy that I would really call a spoiler.

From Dust was quite an interesting game for me. I will say this. The gameplay itself is pretty fun. However each and every level is very easy except maybe for the last level before the final level. The physics for water etc were very nicely done. I definitely enjoyed the

From Dust was quite an interesting game for me.

The physics for water etc were very nicely done. I definitely enjoyed the visuals from things like tsunamis and the way they interacted with the world itself.

The big issue though is the game was sooooo very short and easy. There was rarely ever an actual challenge in the game. There was some times where I was required to think. But in a very short amount of time, I was able to figure out just how to overcome each level.

The AI was for the most part ok, but there were some times where I would say they were pretty stupid and got themselves killed or I would have to be extra generous and help them even more, just to overcome a little "obstacle".

There were also some times where the tiniest amount of water would prevent me from getting them to build a village, which again was annoying since it's rather hard to find such a small drop of water.

Moving about the terrain was for the most part good to me. But there were some times where I found it a little annoying. Probably my biggest issue was I could very rarely ever have the camera sit "still" I would always move forwards or backwards even if just slightly. So I had to constantly keep changing my direction just so I can zoom in and focus on an area that needed my attention.

I was disappointed in the "Story". I wouldn't call it a story at all.
    Every level played the same cutscene. I thought it was going to give us something interesting each level. But to my disappointment, it was the same thing. Over and over again.

I think the game had a ton of potential to be great. But with the short gameplay, the lack of more powers/abilities to challenge you makes this game kind of a let down. There is very little content in the game.

I did enjoy the game, but it's not something I would play again due to there not being any real re playability in it..

For the price I paid, I suppose it was a fair-ish price.

Overall, if you're looking for a fun and short "godish" game to play for a few hours to pass some time, I would say look into giving this game a shot. Just don't expect too much from it. The lack of more content and short gameplay is its biggest fall.

Gameplay 6/10
    Graphics 7/10
    Sound 5/10
    Story 1/10
  28. Feb 19, 2014
    Unfortunatly most people judge this game because of DRM - which I dislike too - but we should judge the game, not the circumstances. And the game really is fantastic. I often just doodle for hours building great vulcano lakes or crazy rivers that end in huge waterfall. The physics are so well done, the controls minimalistic yet effective - overall i have to say, one of my favorite games!Unfortunatly most people judge this game because of DRM - which I dislike too - but we should judge the game, not the circumstances. And the game really is fantastic. I often just doodle for hours building great vulcano lakes or crazy rivers that end in huge waterfall. The physics are so well done, the controls minimalistic yet effective - overall i have to say, one of my favorite games! The only true criticism I have is that it is too short! the campaign should be longer or they should offer some DLC, I would just love to play another campaign. Expand
  29. Mar 21, 2015
    I love this game. Such an incredible experience. You can tell the developers really poured a lot of love into this. Nothing out there quite like it, charming, lovely pacing and unique. In my opinion an total anomaly that deserves a far better score than it has. And people wonder why publishers aren't willing to experiment more when people react like this.
  30. mml
    Aug 20, 2011
    The games concept is very good, but the mouse and keyboard controls are so awkward this game is nearly unplayable without an xbox controller, The graphics are locked at 30fps with no anti-aliasing which could have easily been added, Ubisoft has made there be no advantage to this game if you are playing on the pc, the xbox version is better (only because it uses the best setting possibleThe games concept is very good, but the mouse and keyboard controls are so awkward this game is nearly unplayable without an xbox controller, The graphics are locked at 30fps with no anti-aliasing which could have easily been added, Ubisoft has made there be no advantage to this game if you are playing on the pc, the xbox version is better (only because it uses the best setting possible for an xbox). The drm and game launcher whilst not truly draconian like some does reduce the enjoyment of the game as you have to wait so long for the game to start up. If the major bugs were patched then I would advise buying but till then I would not waste my money (it was a stupid idea to pre-order). Expand
  31. Aug 17, 2011
    Game won't even boot. Ubisofts launcher won't load as it says I'm not connected to the internet. I've been troubleshooting for over 8 hours, and no luck. There is a lack of Ubisoft technical support, and a bunch of people are having the same problems. I'm sick of this company, ruining the one game I was excited for.
  32. Aug 19, 2011
    ### PROS ###
    * Light revival of god-game genre
    * Nice altering of landscape with basic elements * Physics of fluids and materials * Big potential of idea (but Ubisoft is not able to gain from idea like Valve) * For 15 Euro only * No need for high-end hardware and GPU * You must think/strategize when you alter landscape (action will give you reaction later) * You can make game harder when
    ### PROS ###
    * Light revival of god-game genre
    * Nice altering of landscape with basic elements
    * Physics of fluids and materials
    * Big potential of idea (but Ubisoft is not able to gain from idea like Valve)
    * For 15 Euro only
    * No need for high-end hardware and GPU
    * You can make game harder when you keep or reposition totems to dangerous places (especially in later levels)
    * Nice effects of volcanoes, water, lava, etc...
    * Simple take/release of basic elements (lava, water, sand)
    * Water tree (efficient with consequences when you place it wrongly)
    * Multiple game profiles
    * Cut scenes are real-time created, not pre-shot (except loading cut scene)
    * Well created sounds and stylish ancient look of the game
    * When people go to faraway totem/obelisk the game choose in 80% percent the correct path that you want
    * People can swim to the nearest land
    * People can die in lava (instantly) or water (after short time) with nice effect like in Populous
    * You can flush people by water, or kill them by lava when they stuck somewhere
    * Story narrated in ancient language (there should be option for English equivalent, because subtitles are sometimes quite fast)
    * Well balanced growing difficulty from very easy level to medium-hard
    * Bonus of 30 challenges unlocked in story levels
    ### CONS ###
    * Low-budget game, so don't expect miracles
    * Console port to PC (mouse/keyboard retardation and limitation, graphics limitations, etc.)
    * DRM (fortunately you don't have to be connected to internet when playing, but S/N is permanently sticked to your UPlay account that you must create)
    * DirectX 9 graphics only (glitches when objects and soft particles blend, low resolution textures, etc.)
    * No advanced graphics options (but it's not needed since the game would not start after automatic hardware check I guess... it means that it requires minimal hardware for smooth play)
    * Only 12 story levels and 1 open final level
    * Very simple story (people were talking about finding ancients like one page of A4 script, nothing more... story didn't touch me anyhow)
    * No random map with randomly placed disasters (consoles don't have enough buttons for totems)
    * No SDK for modding and creating new levels by community (well, it's a low budget game)
    * Mouse cursor is permanently sticked to ground landscape (annoying, but you can live with that)
    * Max. of 4 magic totems per map because console gamepad doesn't have more buttons, right? (check every map what magics are assigned to keys 1-4, it's not same!)
    * Keyboard hints cannot be disabled (Ubisoft, I'm retarded, I still don't know what to press on that object)
    * You can't control your tribe people
    * You can't control path where the people should go to totem (no waypoints)
    * When one tribe member stuck somewhere and is not able to get to new totem, you are doomed unless you kill him somehow (you can't choose different tribe member and the game will not do that)
    * Kites move affected by wind but tall palm trees not, why??
    * When you pray to little obelisk or "ending" obelisk, you must always press Spacebar for confirmation, why?? I guess because of cut scenes. For totems and big obelisks it's not needed (there are no cut scenes)
    * Repetitive and slow cut scenes that gets boring soon, so you stop listen to simple story (low resolution textures are very visible in cut scenes)
    * No hotkey to cancel cut scenes like in Populous 2
    * Sometimes it's difficult to take sand when a bit of water is onto it, because water is almost invisible (it may be frustrating)
    * It's only you and scripted nature, so you may feel alone (not much suprises, no enemy)... implementation of multiplayer idea could be difficult since it's you and nature only
    * Exploding and fire trees (for exploding and fire trees I would prefer instant magics, but consoles don't have more buttons, so don't expect it from Ubisoft)
    * Exploding trees don't work when you put them to lava, you must put lava onto it
    * Trees sometimes don't grow on ground
    * When you challenge fire it's quite difficult to get rid of it (fire is very fast and needs a lot of water)
    * Badly implemented map edges which may ruin gameplay in some cases, affect basic elements and give you permanent feeling that everything is in small square (even that you see that the map continues to fog)
    * Tsunami doesn't look so good (it's like a flat wall)
  33. Aug 17, 2011
    From Dust is a fun game that plays like they sell it: you control the elements to guide your human tribe. It is simple and entertaining, but poorly ported. The key choices are a bit wonky, but you will get over it quickly. The mouse movement isn't difficult to get used to either. Unlike what many others are saying, you CAN control the mouse sensitivity in game, it's just under the wrongFrom Dust is a fun game that plays like they sell it: you control the elements to guide your human tribe. It is simple and entertaining, but poorly ported. The key choices are a bit wonky, but you will get over it quickly. The mouse movement isn't difficult to get used to either. Unlike what many others are saying, you CAN control the mouse sensitivity in game, it's just under the wrong options menu. The biggest letdowns are that the developers didn't add graphics controls and you're stuck at 30fps, no AA, so while everything looks like it could and should be beautiful, it's simply not by today's standards. It just looks... alright. Furthermore, Ubisoft felt it necessary to bludgeon this simple $15 game with their DRM bat using their tried and tested and failed methods of antipiracy including requiring an internet connection to play at all times, despite being only single player.

In the end, it comes down to the simple question of whether you think a poor port is enough to hold back an otherwise great game.
  34. Aug 17, 2011
    This could be a very good game if Ubisoft releases a patch to correct some major issues, but as of this moment it's nearly unplayable. The controls seem to be a very, very lazy case of just slapping a control scheme obviously designed for an XBOX 360 gamepad onto a mouse--to the point that they are almost game breaking. There are no options to change any graphic settings other thanThis could be a very good game if Ubisoft releases a patch to correct some major issues, but as of this moment it's nearly unplayable. The controls seem to be a very, very lazy case of just slapping a control scheme obviously designed for an XBOX 360 gamepad onto a mouse--to the point that they are almost game breaking. There are no options to change any graphic settings other than screen resolution. And on top of this, the "activate once" DRM that Ubisoft promised seems to be (from what I can tell) an "activate every time you play" scheme, so you cannot play the game without an internet connection. This wouldn't be such a problem, but Ubisoft specifically advertised the game as being "activate once" so I am not sure why they changed things.

Which is a shame as there's a very good game hidden in here, if only the interface could bring it out. So if you are at all interested in this game I think you should wait to buy it for a few months. If Ubisoft releases a patch fixing these issues, give it a go, as from what I have played of the game so far if all of these issues are fixed I'd easily rate it a 7 or an 8 (especially considering the low price tag). However, if they don't, then it's definitely not worth your money.
  35. Aug 18, 2011
    I think From Dust is a great game after Populous, coz im a big fanatic of that game. The only sad thing is the mouse controlling on PC. Bought the game after the game released and yes i so much like it! I Hope the developers will give patches and also a Multiplayer option!
  36. Aug 18, 2011
    A fascinating game, but damaged by quality issues on the PC version as others have pointed out. To provide some specific problems with the controls - the area that your mouse cursor is contained in is set too small. If you move the mouse barely to the right/left or up/down, it moves the camera. Not only that, but it moves the camera very quickly. This is frustrating for when you areA fascinating game, but damaged by quality issues on the PC version as others have pointed out. To provide some specific problems with the controls - the area that your mouse cursor is contained in is set too small. If you move the mouse barely to the right/left or up/down, it moves the camera. Not only that, but it moves the camera very quickly. This is frustrating for when you are simply trying to make selections on the screen, it almost always causes the camera to move. The problem is worse on a widescreen monitor. The second control issue I've encountered is the option to push both the "take element" and "release element" buttons at the same time. It is supposed to release your full element load when you do this, but I found it took me repeated synchronized mouse button click attempts for this to finally occur. Lastly, there are virtually no graphical options to improve performance. I found that my framerate was very jerky. I thought it might be that I don't have a state-of-the-art graphics card, but then I started reading that even people with better hardware have been getting sub-par performance. Where was the quality assurance for this port? I don't think this game is completely dead in the water, as long as Ubisoft releases a patch to address these issues. Expand
  37. Aug 18, 2011
    A game with huge potential, absolutely spoiled by a sloppy port and tyrannical DRM. Ubisoft lying about the DRM being present is unacceptable, ESPECIALLY for a single-player game. Highly recommend against purchasing.
  38. Aug 18, 2011
    The concept of From Dust is one of the better ideas in recent history. You help a tribe settle along several landscapes by forming their environment. All of this is accomplished visually rich with wonderful dynamic physics. The game in itself does not seem to be particularly long, but it certainly does offer value for money.
    Ubisoft however does deserve some heavy criticism for delivering
    Ubisoft however does deserve some heavy criticism for delivering a heartless port of the Xbox version. Therefore, the game is best played with the Xbox gamepad for windows. Controlling it with mouse and keyboard certainly is a pain in the a**.
  39. Aug 19, 2011
    Bought from Ubi Store. A DRM horrorshow. Doesnt even help if you get it from Steam. Totally money wasted there. Gameplay itself is sluggish and game itself would have potential, but suffers from the abusive DRM and lack of design.
  40. Aug 22, 2011
    This game has potential but it's currently state can by considered as public beta not as final product. As I was sold product that don't want to start I cannot judge the beauty of graphics or pleasure from playing as I didn't experienced any of them. Despite forced DRM which I can live with I am very disappointed with the quality of the game and the quality of UBI support that from AugustThis game has potential but it's currently state can by considered as public beta not as final product. As I was sold product that don't want to start I cannot judge the beauty of graphics or pleasure from playing as I didn't experienced any of them. Despite forced DRM which I can live with I am very disappointed with the quality of the game and the quality of UBI support that from August 18 did not handled with my case - my hardware specs meets all requirements. Maybe this game is cheap but product from such a legendary company as UBI SOFT shouldn't be considered as product "You got what you paid for". Expand
  41. Aug 22, 2011
    As much as I'd love to give this game a decent rating, this is a horrid, mess of a port with minimal graphics settings (Resolution and that's it), bugs that stop a large amount of users from even enjoying the game, DRM that forces you to always be online to play it, even though the company stated that it would NOT be in the PC build of the game, and a big lesson in how far south UbisoftAs much as I'd love to give this game a decent rating, this is a horrid, mess of a port with minimal graphics settings (Resolution and that's it), bugs that stop a large amount of users from even enjoying the game, DRM that forces you to always be online to play it, even though the company stated that it would NOT be in the PC build of the game, and a big lesson in how far south Ubisoft have gone with their business morals, and attitude towards legitimate PC customers. My advice is don't buy this, and give Ubisoft the justification to continue with this disgusting practice of screwing over legitimate customers. Expand
  42. Aug 22, 2011
    The visuals of From Dust, are simply stunning, with a great art style, that complements the games engine very nicely. The game play is very enjoyable, and I have already spent hours, just playing with the tools!
    The story is very deep and compelling. You can really feel how much thought, has been put into it.
    Overall one of the best games I have played this year, and I'm sad so many

Overall one of the best games I have played this year, and I'm sad so many people, have not been able to look past the DRM issues, and see the beauty of From Dust.
  43. Aug 22, 2011
    A fun, fantastic game. I 'would' recommend you purchase this if it wasn't for several things. This game suffers mainly because of the ubisoft actions. It's unfortunate really, because this seems like a potentially brilliant game. I love god-games (like black and white etc) and the trailers for this are amazing.

But it really seems as if Ubisoft have done no checking of bugs or testing

But it really seems as if Ubisoft have done no checking of bugs or testing what so ever. The game was also delayed a month, for 'polishing' of the game, which makes the presence of all these bugs and glitches even more confusing. This seems like a direct and highly unmodified port of the 360 version.

The DRM is a major concern. Many people bought this because they were told it needed a one-time activation, but found this to be untrue. The DRM and ubisoft launcher also cause problems, preventing a lot of people from playing this game. The game crashes for a lot of people after the opening ubisoft logo. There is no guarantee that if you purchase this game that you will be able to play it.

I had preordered the game and so didn't know about any of these issues until I got it, but I was one of the lucky few who managed to get a working version. There are quite a few bugs though, which should have been found in the month this was delayed. Villagers are sometimes unable to find sensible paths or unable to change their path after deciding to do it. Sometimes entire villages of people stop moving. Villages are sometimes unable to be rebuilt and you cannot cancel the rebuilding of a village. The 'high tides' mission is bugged for many people, becoming very hard and almost unwinnable.

The controls are very awkward. Moving the mouse from the centre of the screen moves the camera, making it very hard to pick up and place dirt. This can be slightly changed in the options to givce you a bigger space of movement but it's still annoying. And unless the mouse is in the centre of the screen, the camera wants to pan to it. Zooming out is difficult, and infact generally only changes the angle of the camera. It also occasionally gets stuck at one angle.

There are also other bugs popping up all the time. I would love to give this a higher score, but I don't want anyone to buy a game they cannot play. So really, do not buy until this has been patched.
  44. Aug 22, 2011
    I don't know where all the fuzz is about regarding drm, etc. Probably it is a stinker but I don't mind, not familiar with the history. What i see is that there is some harassent about the game because of the drm issue while the game itself is not central stage. -the game itself is really unique although has some minor flaws which can be traced back to the console port. In general thoughI don't know where all the fuzz is about regarding drm, etc. Probably it is a stinker but I don't mind, not familiar with the history. What i see is that there is some harassent about the game because of the drm issue while the game itself is not central stage. -the game itself is really unique although has some minor flaws which can be traced back to the console port. In general though the creativity and nice graphics/ physics makes more than up to it.
    -the AI pathfinding is more than ok, I don't know what people expect but if you lead your "guys" the way (who can climb a cliff-face?) they do what is required by their god :-). I honestly don't understand the complaints here unless you want to see a mutiny on your subordinates.
    -I had no problem with visuals or whatever (framerates, etc). It seems some people have which is an issue if true for the publisher if no minority.
    -the pricetag was only 15 so if you can play > 20 hours easily if having fun and be in a "portal-like" engagement what the **** is the uproar about unless you really can't play it.
    A very fine game and hope they iron out the minor glices. Just to inform in case you are afraid you have a software issue. I use a vista 32 bit quad core geforce 9500gs. Gl all. -if you just uncheck the mouse scroll you get an acceptable mouse/ keyboard control.
  45. Aug 24, 2011
    Pirated this game after I heard of the brutal DRM and other problems, the funny thing is that it works fine for me. DRM doesn't discourage pirating, it encourages it. Overall the game is fun but there are some nagging problems like the inability to skip the 1 cutscene that replays over and over and also the lack of graphics customization. Created this account to make this review and thePirated this game after I heard of the brutal DRM and other problems, the funny thing is that it works fine for me. DRM doesn't discourage pirating, it encourages it. Overall the game is fun but there are some nagging problems like the inability to skip the 1 cutscene that replays over and over and also the lack of graphics customization. Created this account to make this review and the captcha was no joke "UB RIP"...fitting I suppose after seeing all these negative reviews!. Expand
  46. Aug 24, 2011
    Seriously, most of the negative reviewers here need to get a life. I hate the DRM stuff too, as the UBI Launcher only works 1 in 7 times. (Not only on this game, but on Settlers 7, an excellent, excellent game.) I guess this is a form of boycott, and hopefully they listen, but still... let's move on to the game.

The graphics are fine. Anyone complaining about things like 30fps and

The graphics are fine. Anyone complaining about things like 30fps and antialiasing issues needs to turn off the monitor and go outside. It's 60fps and max AA out there. The controls are a little fiddly but not bad... you're not trying to place things that precisely anyhow. I haven't tried using a controller with it, but that might be a little better than the mouse.

I consider this a kids' game difficulty-wise, since it reminds me of the first 15 levels of Lemmings. I'm sure the reference will go over 90% of people's heads but for puzzle games it's the original. Maybe some expansions can offer some bigger challenges.

The message that we have to recover the knowledge of the ancients is a good one to leave kids with... the most important one, really.

Anyhow, this is a fun game for anyone who [never had/misses having] a sandbox. Have fun pushing around the sand, rock, and water and don't worry too much about the little people on the screen. They're just there to help out your imagination a little if you've grown up in the sterile, cartoons-and-gaming-saturated world of the 90's and 00's. The mechanic could easily be utilized in a full-budget title to great effect. I'm always hoping for an Actraiser reboot :)
  47. Sep 17, 2011
    This is a very original and beautiful game!! The ultra-negative reviews are a shame.
    Only the mouse controls are very glitchy. The game has been designed to be played with game console controller. The use of a Xbox 360 controller is a must. Ubisfot also recommends the use of it.
  48. Aug 29, 2011
    There are not enough ways to say garbage. The ONLY thing it has going for it is the graphics. Its super short, super easy, horrid support of the "story" and oh! Did I mention QQsoft lied about the DRM? Granted its a $15 dollar game, that I did get a refund for from Steam thank you, but i expect that what you paid for was to test the acceptance of the DRM and you get a **** game along with it.
  49. Aug 31, 2011
    Game relies on a connection to Ubisoft's unreliable server to play. In other words, the game is made unplayable by Ubisoft's inability to keep their servers running.
  50. Sep 4, 2011
    I can only agree, with things, that were already said before.

I can only agree, with things, that were already said before.

The idea behind the game is brilliant and it somehow feels like a "Popuplous - The Beginning" Clone, with all those natives and the terraforming aspect. But there is a huge difference here. Populous had tons of more game concept depth, altough its from 1998... I could have enjoyed the game alot more, if its controls weren't so messed up. And the need for loggin in online is really annoying for ppl like me, that are still interessted in their privacy. If I buy a singleplayer game, I really see NO REASON, why I am forced to stay logged in all the time.
  51. Sep 9, 2011
    A poor port, AND Ubisofts F**ked up DRM that wont let you play at all, when THEIR servers are down!!!!!... Totally unplayable! I hope noone buys it!!!
  52. Sep 9, 2011
    Ok i thought the game was great apart from the control system, I think there can be some learning from the old populas game, where the flow off the game made it great (old gamer here), the game was priced correctly, I felt certain options could off played better i.e zoom in animation, but still a good game, make it bigger next time as I thought the physics was great, mark 2 will beOk i thought the game was great apart from the control system, I think there can be some learning from the old populas game, where the flow off the game made it great (old gamer here), the game was priced correctly, I felt certain options could off played better i.e zoom in animation, but still a good game, make it bigger next time as I thought the physics was great, mark 2 will be better I want a GOD game. Expand
  53. Sep 10, 2011
    I bought this game after seeing a video review on another website. I was intrigued at the concept and it reminded me of a game I used to play a long time ago called Magic Carpet where the player had the ability to sculpt the land up and down. I had a blast with that game so I thought I'd give this a try. Thankfully this game did not let me down. This is a strategy game so if you'reI bought this game after seeing a video review on another website. I was intrigued at the concept and it reminded me of a game I used to play a long time ago called Magic Carpet where the player had the ability to sculpt the land up and down. I had a blast with that game so I thought I'd give this a try. Thankfully this game did not let me down. This is a strategy game so if you're looking for an action simulator this isn't it. You have to think in this one and use all your powers to solve each level and challenge. The levels were imaginative and involved and rewarding. Manipulating the elements to conform a map to your goal of capturing each totem site and then getting to the gateway to go to the next map. The challenges were also a lot of fun and left me with some interesting solutions. This is one of the best 15 bucks I've spent on a game in a long time. This game is really an advanced game that requires quite a bit of imagination and concentration. Most people do not fall into this category so I would imagine that is the reason for the poor reviews on this site. If you like a challenge to your imagination and concentration then this game will not let you down. If you like puzzle games you will like this one. Expand
  54. Oct 2, 2011
    Very pleased with this game. At this price range, I certainly got a great value for my money. Superb-looking, interesting and oddly relaxing, the game is engrossing and a welcome change in the tedious flow of RPGs and FPS. I hardly noticed any bugs and the controls are manageable, after some adaptation. AI could be better but then it's a puzzle game mainly, so the behaviour of the NPC isVery pleased with this game. At this price range, I certainly got a great value for my money. Superb-looking, interesting and oddly relaxing, the game is engrossing and a welcome change in the tedious flow of RPGs and FPS. I hardly noticed any bugs and the controls are manageable, after some adaptation. AI could be better but then it's a puzzle game mainly, so the behaviour of the NPC is only a parameter in the solution and I did not expect any of the NPC to suddenly start building a bridge or something... The challenges are a welcome addition once you complete the main quest. A fun game with flaws, sure, but I applaud the new approach. (By the way, the whole DRM thing in the reviews is annoying, and a poor reflection on people's willingness to feel outraged and to bask in their anger, chill out already...) Expand
  55. Oct 11, 2011
    Absolutely disappointing! A fabulous concept destroyed by some amateur producers from Ubisoft. God game? Yeah, sure, in your dreams!
    Obsolete cinematix, pathetic narrative line. Actually, it's one of the worst games of this year! Score: 1
  56. May 19, 2012
    It's the new version of Populous, it was a fantastic Playstation game (the first Playstation) years ago. It's more beautiful now with new technologies.
    A lot of (young?) people would need to go in the past and test Populous on the first Playstation to appreciate this new version and learn to play it ! C'est la nouvelle version de Populous, c'était un jeu fantastique sur Playstation (la première Playstation) il y à quelques années.Il est forcemment plus beau avec les techniques de programation d'aujourd'hui.
    Beaucoup de (jeunes?) gens n'ont pas l'air d'y adhérer, ils devraient peut-être faire un voyage dans le passé pour tester populous sur la première playstation et apprendre à y jouer !
  57. Jul 15, 2012
    Great games. bought on steam for only 4 Bucks this game worth it. A fresh air of fun reminding populous. Don't understand why there are so much bad reviews. perhaps they play too many FPS...nice engine, great time playing it perhaps a little too short but you must definitly discover this game. He worth his actual price a lot :
  58. Dec 3, 2012
    A nice puzzle/god wrath game, the power you wield to halt natures advance is fun, but the villager path-finding ability is frustrating to say the least.
  59. May 8, 2013
    again the game from Ubisoft always has a problem with the launcher. i cant even play the game that cost me $15 like are you serious? this is not about the game itself its about the company who released it
  60. Dec 29, 2014
    Concept is great but UI is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, friend bought this for me because I like Black and White 1 and 2. Warnings regarding From Dust: 1. Cannot Skip intro or cutscenes 2. No "graphical options", so unless if you have top of the line computer (even them capped at 30fps), avoid this game.

This is by far the most horribly designed game I've ever played, with great concept with very horrible design of User Interface.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 30, 2011
    To truly enjoy playing God you have to beat a few obstacles – technical issues, arguable DRM and user-unfriendly controls. Console-to-PC conversion took its price this time. [Oct 2011]
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    From Dust feels like a demo of Populous 4. Tutorial parts (with too much hand helding) ran too long, but couple of levels display the possibilities what From Dust could have been. Still worth the price, though. [Sept 2011]
  3. Sep 15, 2011
    From Dusk is a very interesting title to play, but could have been a great game if the controls and difficulty were more polished.