4.8

1. Dec 29, 2014
    Concept is great but UI is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, friend bought this for me because I like Black and White 1 and 2. Warnings regarding From Dust: 1. Cannot Skip intro or cutscenes 2. No "graphical options", so unless if you have top of the line computer (even them capped at 30fps), avoid this game.

This is by far the most horribly designed game I've ever played, with great concept with very horrible design of User Interface.
  2. Jul 16, 2014
    One word: "Botched."

Could've been great just from judging the opening and its overall presentation. That is until it introduces its primary gameplay: "Pick up stuff and drop it over onto other stuff!" Un-freaking-believable, an entire game designed around an activity like playing in a sandbox, scooping up sand in one hand and then dropping your handful over onto another patch of
    One word: "Botched."

Un-freaking-believable, an entire game designed around an activity like playing in a sandbox, scooping up sand in one hand and then dropping your handful over onto another patch of sand somewhere else in your sandbox.

Its disappointing to say the least, but not only that, its poorly implemented and frustrating. When controls should be responsive, they're barely responsive (keep in mind this was all designed with the Xbox controller in mind). Missions start off simple enough, guiding a small band of native proto-human "things" to different objectives by changing the geographical surface or shifting elements that would normally block most anythings progression i.e. huge bodies of water or mountains or lava. Then we start getting into some ticking-timer missions that are just unbelievably infuriating and this is when you'll realize just how stupid the actual AI system is for the little natives. They complain about everything or will outright refuse to go somewhere because:
    A. You didn't quite manage to pick up and move enough water, mud, sand, rocks or whatever for them to walk to where they want to go.
    B. They legitimately still complain even when everything is totally fine and their route is completely clear to fulfill some level objective.

Finally I arrived at a level where a Tsunami was supposedly coming to wipe out everything and I had to essentially get people to leave one spot to get to safety. I'm guessing this is about the point where people just give up on the game because of how poorly the mechanics were executed.

15 minutes later I was treated to a hilarious in-game cinematic explosion of water wiping out a coastal tribe-town and I even felt a little bad about it, but also at how shockingly bad the game was till this point.

Beautiful design, aesthetics, concept, and visuals, but it fails in every other way mechanically and functionally as a "game." Which is kind of a big selling point these days.
  3. Jul 10, 2014
    A rare gem amongst games, the low score given to it only fueling my misanthropy in general and my disdain for gamers in particular.

Far better than the average puzzle game, this god game is easy to learn but difficult to master. I had few if any problems with the controls even on the PC and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I'd love to see the genre expand upon From Dust. I would honestly like to see a mix of From Dust and Black and White, although leaning more towards From Dust. Indirect control is the gem of the god game - you shouldn't be controlling people as a god, you should be shaping the land to your whim and aiding your people in that way!
  4. Jun 12, 2014
    My reasoning for giving this game a 2:
    I bought it on sale on steam, but all the download did was give me a uplay launcher and cd key. I had to enter it there and launch from it, adding another account on top of what I had already. I bought the game well after it was released but authentication issues kept me from playing about 10% of the time.
    The game itself was interesting at first,
    My reasoning for giving this game a 2:
    The game itself was interesting at first, but ubisoft crippled themselves on drm. You play as 'god' and have a tribe that the goal is to help avoid disasters, but you do that by indirectly interacting with them, by doing stuff such as mold the environment.
    If the uplay requirement was removed I would give this a 7.
  5. May 1, 2014
    There is fun here, but you kindof have to let the game get out of it's own way to enjoy it. There are sandbox elements, but there's also often a lack of control of the environment around you that's typically expected. In the later levels with lava you're going to be dealing issues that you can't really fix, you're just working around problems, which isn't always fun. For a game w/There is fun here, but you kindof have to let the game get out of it's own way to enjoy it. There are sandbox elements, but there's also often a lack of control of the environment around you that's typically expected. In the later levels with lava you're going to be dealing issues that you can't really fix, you're just working around problems, which isn't always fun. For a game w/ sandbox elements this can be frustrating - often I just want the game to leave me alone and let me do what I want. I got to one of the later levels and just got tired of dealing with lava on several successive levels and quit playing because of that. The game started feeling more like a chore than fun for me.

Pathfinding: The little people seem to have problems with path finding - or at least I can't figure out why they have so much trouble walking from point A to point B. They have quite a bit of trouble with changes in slope and slight changes in elevation that are hard to see. In all - for a game that keeps asking you to do things and get your people from point A to point B - this is frustrating when you can't tell what their problem is.

Part of the issue with this game is probably my expectation - it seemed like it could be this cool little eco-simulator where I could build worlds, but it turns into a jump-through-hoops puzzle type game too often. That's not to say there's not fun - there is fun - but a true sandbox mode with various maps would've been nice - but like other reviews have said - for some reason you can't just start a map and build like Sim City. There's a cool core idea though - it's just frustrating that it doesn't go where as a player you expect it to.
  6. Feb 19, 2014
    Unfortunatly most people judge this game because of DRM - which I dislike too - but we should judge the game, not the circumstances. And the game really is fantastic. I often just doodle for hours building great vulcano lakes or crazy rivers that end in huge waterfall. The physics are so well done, the controls minimalistic yet effective - overall i have to say, one of my favorite games!Unfortunatly most people judge this game because of DRM - which I dislike too - but we should judge the game, not the circumstances. And the game really is fantastic. I often just doodle for hours building great vulcano lakes or crazy rivers that end in huge waterfall. The physics are so well done, the controls minimalistic yet effective - overall i have to say, one of my favorite games! The only true criticism I have is that it is too short! the campaign should be longer or they should offer some DLC, I would just love to play another campaign. Expand
  7. Nov 13, 2013
    Not a god game, more a map customization puzzle game, which is fine but it wasn't marketed as such. That said it's an enjoyable, easy on the eyes little game that if you can pick up cheap is worth a punt.
  8. Sep 16, 2013
    There are some minor gameplay "spoilers" in this review but nothing fancy that I would really call a spoiler.

From Dust was quite an interesting game for me. I will say this. The gameplay itself is pretty fun. However each and every level is very easy except maybe for the last level before the final level. The physics for water etc were very nicely done. I definitely enjoyed the

From Dust was quite an interesting game for me.

The physics for water etc were very nicely done. I definitely enjoyed the visuals from things like tsunamis and the way they interacted with the world itself.

The big issue though is the game was sooooo very short and easy. There was rarely ever an actual challenge in the game. There was some times where I was required to think. But in a very short amount of time, I was able to figure out just how to overcome each level.

The AI was for the most part ok, but there were some times where I would say they were pretty stupid and got themselves killed or I would have to be extra generous and help them even more, just to overcome a little "obstacle".

There were also some times where the tiniest amount of water would prevent me from getting them to build a village, which again was annoying since it's rather hard to find such a small drop of water.

Moving about the terrain was for the most part good to me. But there were some times where I found it a little annoying. Probably my biggest issue was I could very rarely ever have the camera sit "still" I would always move forwards or backwards even if just slightly. So I had to constantly keep changing my direction just so I can zoom in and focus on an area that needed my attention.

I was disappointed in the "Story". I wouldn't call it a story at all.
    Every level played the same cutscene. I thought it was going to give us something interesting each level. But to my disappointment, it was the same thing. Over and over again.

I think the game had a ton of potential to be great. But with the short gameplay, the lack of more powers/abilities to challenge you makes this game kind of a let down. There is very little content in the game.

I did enjoy the game, but it's not something I would play again due to there not being any real re playability in it..

For the price I paid, I suppose it was a fair-ish price.

Overall, if you're looking for a fun and short "godish" game to play for a few hours to pass some time, I would say look into giving this game a shot. Just don't expect too much from it. The lack of more content and short gameplay is its biggest fall.

Gameplay 6/10
    Graphics 7/10
    Sound 5/10
    Story 1/10
  9. Jul 28, 2013
    Short fun game, absolutely gorgeous game for the price, with neat physics, the AI needs some work and can be frustrating. It's challenging but not absurdly so. I had fun with it.
  10. May 31, 2013
    From Dust is a short, pretty and simple game which I have come across by chance in the bargin bin. I suggest you pick up a copy and kill a few hours. Its a pleasant surprise.
  11. May 9, 2013
    I'm going to forget the DRM/always online stuff because there is a game-breaking bug. I could not even finish the game because at a certain mission, I had a bug where villagers won't die, then I can't do anything. The game still runs, but a villager doesn't die, you cannot complete that mission, you have to start all over again. They'll get washed out to sea, still be swimming, forever. IfI'm going to forget the DRM/always online stuff because there is a game-breaking bug. I could not even finish the game because at a certain mission, I had a bug where villagers won't die, then I can't do anything. The game still runs, but a villager doesn't die, you cannot complete that mission, you have to start all over again. They'll get washed out to sea, still be swimming, forever. If they get out of water, they'll just stand there, forever, they'll be completely submerged in water, just standing there, looking around. It's bad enough I felt that the game itself was mediocre due to the controls being stuttery and delayed, an irritating AI, no pathing control, low frame-rates for the mediocre graphics. I found myself getting frustrated trying to get fire trees to work properly and honestly things such as this ruined the experience when really the trees and stuff shoulda made the game great. This is an unoptimized port of a game which should of been pulled. Expand
  12. May 8, 2013
    again the game from Ubisoft always has a problem with the launcher. i cant even play the game that cost me $15 like are you serious? this is not about the game itself its about the company who released it
  13. Apr 25, 2013
    From Dust is an enjoyable little romp through the lands of, well... through various lands. It's short but cheap and scratches a sandbox god game itch that I've had ever since Master of Magic.

I bought and began playing it long after the DRM debacle had been resolved (although I still have a small gripe that I have to launch it through Uplay). I'm not going to penalise it for that.

It's pretty enough and the campaign will have you scratching your head until you've mastered the breath abilities. Second time around there's little challenge but sculpting the stages into utopias for the tribe is fun.

And that brings me to the games biggest problem. The tribe. Their path-finding and AI is awful. Particularly in the challenge maps. I'll see men stuck on the one spike in a flat landscape; stop just before they reach a goal and be flummoxed by a tiny puddle. Most annoyingly they will always try and take the shortest straight line which leads to lots of running back and forth as a passable path presents itself around an obstacle and then subsides causing them men to take the shortest path again and run slap into the obstacle. Fix the path and repeat.

Adding way-points or the ability tell tribesmen to move to a spot would have fixed this but as it stands it seems unnecessarily broken. Not game breaking but irritating (and a lot more irritating than mediocre and un-skippable cinematics)
  14. Apr 23, 2013
    What a great disappointment. You can see that this game has some solid ideas behind it. We could have had an awesome God game, and we got a shallow puzzle game with clumsy controls, low replay value, no sandbox mode, and a poor console port to top it all. And this would have been a 5/10 or 4/10. However, not only ubisoft lied about the DRM, but after its initial removal right now the DRMWhat a great disappointment. You can see that this game has some solid ideas behind it. We could have had an awesome God game, and we got a shallow puzzle game with clumsy controls, low replay value, no sandbox mode, and a poor console port to top it all. And this would have been a 5/10 or 4/10. However, not only ubisoft lied about the DRM, but after its initial removal right now the DRM is back, with their not-so-stable servers. DO NOT SUPPORT DISHONEST BUSINESS, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  15. Mar 15, 2013
    I just purchased this off steam for something like $4...money well spent. I'm seeing lot of the negative comments are from a bad launch/bugs...it seems a lot of it has been ironed out. The game is original and intriguing. Even for the regular $15 on steam you should check it out.
  16. Mar 15, 2013
    Looked interesting, but was hoping it'd be more like Populous, and less like that wooden labyrinth board game with the metal ball. Didn't get very far, just seemed like a pretty boring concept to me. I'm not really a fan of puzzle games, though.
  17. Feb 2, 2013
    From Dust does a lot of things right. Manipulating the environment is easy and fun and the game can at times be extremely relaxing. There are some cool "power-ups" in the game and there is quite a lot of maps. The game is also really pleasant to look at. The game do however have some problems. The developers have somehow managed to screw up the mouse control and as result controlling theFrom Dust does a lot of things right. Manipulating the environment is easy and fun and the game can at times be extremely relaxing. There are some cool "power-ups" in the game and there is quite a lot of maps. The game is also really pleasant to look at. The game do however have some problems. The developers have somehow managed to screw up the mouse control and as result controlling the game feels really weird. There is also a fps-cap on 30 fps which is a bit annoying. Gameplay-wise the biggest problem are your loyal minions. The AI is terrible and the pathfinding doesnt really work as well as it should. Which gets really annoying when time and manpower is crucial. Combine this with ridiculous fast-spreading fire, timed tides and annoying unforgivable maps and you are in for a nasty treat if rage. None of these faults are really gamebreaking but they do take the game from an above-average game to a below-average game. I would still recommend the game if you are into the genre and can get it for a cheap price since the game is by no means terrible. Just know that it is a little bit rough around the edges. Expand
  18. Jan 1, 2013
    A wonderful atmosphere, art and physics and although there seems to be a lot of fuss about this and that I don't see any issues. I like the game. If only you could ESC the cut scenes before a level. This, by itself, ruined the game for me. I can't watch those cut scenes over and over and over because I failed a level. Such a simple problem that would have a simple fix.

Fix that one

Fix that one thing for me and I will give it an 8.
  19. Dec 18, 2012
    I bought this game during the steam sale for 75% off at $3.75... After playing the game, I realize I paid too much. The game has stunning graphics, but as another reviewer mentioned, this 'From Dust' is simply a showcase for the landscape engine. No replay value, Frustrating Pathfinder AI, No real point to the game... Save your money. Ubisoft has been dissapointing as of late.
  20. Dec 3, 2012
    A nice puzzle/god wrath game, the power you wield to halt natures advance is fun, but the villager path-finding ability is frustrating to say the least.
  21. Nov 28, 2012
    From Dust plays like a low-fat version of Populous, which leaves you wanting something more. This game also has a terminal case of console-itus and a bad DRM infection. An Xbox 360 controller should be listed as a requirement for playing.
  22. Oct 7, 2012
    No es lo que pensaba, se trata solo de llevar del punto A al punto B a los primitivos, ya sea arrastrando agua, colocando tierra, solidificando magma,etc.

Visualmente bello y agradable, entretiene Sí, pero pensaba que tenpia más relación con un juego en el que eres Dios y haber tenido más control y variables que manejar.
  23. Jul 27, 2012
    Although short, this game left a lasting impression on me. From the breathtaking real-world physics to the simple yet intuitive idea that nature guides the world you shift, this game is a great casual title for almost any person looking for something beyond the simple games like Peggle. You star in the game as nature, err a god who shapes the natural world around a group of natives, andAlthough short, this game left a lasting impression on me. From the breathtaking real-world physics to the simple yet intuitive idea that nature guides the world you shift, this game is a great casual title for almost any person looking for something beyond the simple games like Peggle. You star in the game as nature, err a god who shapes the natural world around a group of natives, and your overall goal is to help the natives spread across the land; it is a simple yet charming story. You can move, create and destroy land, water, and more, and can harness other abilities as well. You can also use some of the plants in the environment to aid you, like water-expelling flowers or fire trees; however, these can also work against you. The mechanics of this game require often a beautiful mastery of balance. Contrary to what some others seem to think, the controls are simple enough - usually just click and drag, but occasionally one can use special powers granted by totems to perform special powers; many of the challenges are easy enough with this set-up. The camera does have a few issues, some of which are programmed a certain way and require getting use to; for example, the reticle that one uses is always to be centered on the screen, so even the slightest movement will cause the player's map view to shift; however, there are a few, though sparse, issues where the camera is just finicky. The most impressive part of this game is the visuals, notably the liquid physics; water, lava, and even sand flow and interact with the environment so well and seamlessly. The plants blow in the wind and burn within a fire, and the villagers have their own unique look (although their models are limited). Really my only major qualm with this game is that the story mode itself is short; it took me about 5-6 hours to complete. After that, there are many challenge maps to complete, but many of these are quick to beat. Overall, I really loved the game, I just wish there were more maps and a longer story mode to it. Also, a full- fledged sandbox mode that can be shared with other players would be nice too.

To address the DRM, I agree with many of the people, but for me dealing with it and uPlay (Ubisoft's PC game platform) is not a big deal; I just don't like or understand why I have to launch another platform aside from Steam to play From Dust. All that is really required is to set up a uPlay account and you're good.
  24. Jul 15, 2012
    Terrible villager pathfinding and AI. Subpar camera controls. There are no graphics customization options besides resolution. But the most damning of all is the lack of a sandbox mode. It is this last fact that makes this game almost completely worthless. Do not buy for more than 10$, and only if you want a mediocre, but somewhat pretty looking puzzle game with no replay value.Terrible villager pathfinding and AI. Subpar camera controls. There are no graphics customization options besides resolution. But the most damning of all is the lack of a sandbox mode. It is this last fact that makes this game almost completely worthless. Do not buy for more than 10$, and only if you want a mediocre, but somewhat pretty looking puzzle game with no replay value. The outright refusal to simply patch in a blank map is pretty unforgivable. A single content patch could make this game a solid 7-8/10. Expand
  25. Jul 15, 2012
    Do not buy, I purchased this game during the steam sale for 3.70 and even at that it was a huge let down. The best way I can explain would be something along the lines of world of goo but instead of having a new level the next level is the same map you just have a different goo ball to solve the same map with. There is no depth to this game, like others have said there is no replayDo not buy, I purchased this game during the steam sale for 3.70 and even at that it was a huge let down. The best way I can explain would be something along the lines of world of goo but instead of having a new level the next level is the same map you just have a different goo ball to solve the same map with. There is no depth to this game, like others have said there is no replay value. I wouldn't even call this an RTS or even strategy related there is very very little game play to work with and well since there isn't a story that and the graphics are pretty much it. Oh I guess there is a story but some idiot decided to do it in gibberish and translate to English subtitles to save time which is really pathetic.
    The graphics that people say are so good much never have played hl2-crysis or any other major game title in the last 5 years. The physics engine isn't that spectacular and there is absolutely nothing new in my opinion. ALSO, you have to worry about Ubisoft's anti pirating software which is a paint in the butt in it self, I really wish companies would stop trying to copy valve by hindering every user in any action they take.
  26. Jul 15, 2012
    Great games. bought on steam for only 4 Bucks this game worth it. A fresh air of fun reminding populous. Don't understand why there are so much bad reviews. perhaps they play too many FPS...nice engine, great time playing it perhaps a little too short but you must definitly discover this game. He worth his actual price a lot :
  27. May 19, 2012
    It's the new version of Populous, it was a fantastic Playstation game (the first Playstation) years ago. It's more beautiful now with new technologies.
    A lot of (young?) people would need to go in the past and test Populous on the first Playstation to appreciate this new version and learn to play it ! C'est la nouvelle version de Populous, c'était un jeu fantastique sur Playstation (la première Playstation) il y à quelques années.Il est forcemment plus beau avec les techniques de programation d'aujourd'hui.
    Beaucoup de (jeunes?) gens n'ont pas l'air d'y adhérer, ils devraient peut-être faire un voyage dans le passé pour tester populous sur la première playstation et apprendre à y jouer !
  28. Apr 29, 2012
    This game was saved by its landscaping physics engine which is so amazing you will literally **** your brains out of your eyes. Short review, I know.
  29. Apr 18, 2012
    I was very surprised about this game. The lack of trailers and information made the intrigue force me to purchase it. And what a delight it was. Initially, the game was strange and bewildering; like nothing I had played before and since. The physics throughout the game are genius and are well programmed. However, the game does get repetitive if the same tactic is used repeatedly.I was very surprised about this game. The lack of trailers and information made the intrigue force me to purchase it. And what a delight it was. Initially, the game was strange and bewildering; like nothing I had played before and since. The physics throughout the game are genius and are well programmed. However, the game does get repetitive if the same tactic is used repeatedly. All-in-all, a very good game that cries out for creative ideas of how to finish each level. I fully recommend this game. Expand
  30. Apr 12, 2012
    I really love the gameplay within this game. yeah the Graphics could be better for the PC but they are still pretty enough. I was enjoying it immensely. The problem what that just as I started to feel like I was getting into it, the game was already finished. To be fair, the PC purchase price of the game reflected this so it is fair. I would certainly recommend it but I just dontI really love the gameplay within this game. yeah the Graphics could be better for the PC but they are still pretty enough. I was enjoying it immensely. The problem what that just as I started to feel like I was getting into it, the game was already finished. To be fair, the PC purchase price of the game reflected this so it is fair. I would certainly recommend it but I just dont understand why it is so short. All the effort to build a develop and great game and then create no content. It just doesnt make sense. I have been expecting a series of DLC to pop up since bringing up to a more full game experience in terms of duration, but nothing. I am left scratching my head just wondering why. I really do not understand why so many people dislike the game itself. It is in the same classic thread as the populous series and black and white although with less depth caused by the lack of content. A great game killed by a lack of content and the fact no one likes Ubisoft. However, one should give credit where credit is due. This is a great game experience. Expand
  31. Mar 12, 2012
    From Dust had so much potential. Early development videos showed promised something truly unique, and while there is a great concept behind the game, it was executed terribly. Ubisoft spit in PC gamers' faces with their ludicrous DRM, and absolutely horrible console porting. A little extra effort on the developers part would have resulted in an excellent game.
  32. Mar 3, 2012
    A short but cheap game for the puzzle fans and megalomaniacs. I haven't had this much fun since Populous II although most puzzles are somewhat easy and the villager pathing AI can be annoying at times.
  33. Mar 1, 2012
    I watched a lets play of this on youtube, the guy I watched was playing it on Xbox360, it looked amazing and great! I was fascinated with it! I could deal with the horrible story line, so I thought I would buy the game as soon as I could. So I went out, got a pre-paid visa card, and bought the game (I don't buy many games at all) and I was really excited. The DRM popped up, I didn't knowI watched a lets play of this on youtube, the guy I watched was playing it on Xbox360, it looked amazing and great! I was fascinated with it! I could deal with the horrible story line, so I thought I would buy the game as soon as I could. So I went out, got a pre-paid visa card, and bought the game (I don't buy many games at all) and I was really excited. The DRM popped up, I didn't know what those were at the time, but I know that they are really frustrating seeing as I had to download random crap I never heard of nor did I think that random crap was necessary to the game since I had installed that. So I figured, wow, this is inconvenient, but I can deal with this I guess. I didn't know at the time that it meant I had to suffer memory leaks and such from my laptop, my ACER LAPTOP! So it can't run games all that well at all, but now I have to suffer with this DRM taking up power I will need to run the damn game! Then I learned that they had no graphics options. So I am stuck with a game that cut my frames anyway with a cap, but added the insult to any gamer that doesn't have and can't afford a beast of a PC through not having any graphical options whatsoever! So I was able to finally run the game, after about 4 or 5 hours of dealing with issues from installation, the DRM, and the game launching. But, I found out that my laptop, which easily met the minimum hardware requirements, got all of 4 frames a second on the game. FOUR! When it is capped at a barley decent frame rate of 30, I am able only to view still frames of the first level which was marred by motion blur and crap.

Along with bad frame rate, I got horrible game lag as well! It took me at least 15 to 20 minutes to get through the birth of the breath cutscene which, if memory serves, should take all of 3 minutes maximum! My laptop isn't the best, but it isn't that crap. From the lets play of From Dust I saw on youtube I recommend getting it on Xbox360, it looks great and plays well on there, if you have anything less than a stellar PC or a really expensive gaming laptop, don't bother with this, you won't be able to run it.
  34. Feb 28, 2012
    I sensed a lot of novelty from this game. I haven't played many games from this genre, so it seemed quite unique at first. But before long, it started to feel much less 'game' and much more 'sandbox.' I started rolling my eyes when it felt like I was seeing the same cinematic between each level. Then I reached a point where the game said 'build a wall,' so I built a wall....but the gameI sensed a lot of novelty from this game. I haven't played many games from this genre, so it seemed quite unique at first. But before long, it started to feel much less 'game' and much more 'sandbox.' I started rolling my eyes when it felt like I was seeing the same cinematic between each level. Then I reached a point where the game said 'build a wall,' so I built a wall....but the game just said 'c'mon, build a wall.' I thought 'I just did.' Long story short, that's as far as I went with From Dust. I wouldn't recommend it, and I kinda wish I hadn't spend money on it. Expand
  35. Jan 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An interesting game, unfortunately it is designed for a console not a pc, the mouse feels drunk and once you get to the tide is high level, your game comes to an end because its not possible to finish that level on the PC. I watched some youtube videos of xbox users doing it and it looks like a far easier level than what we get on the PC. I wonder if Ubisoft has tested this on the PC at all, it certainly does not look like it. Take tip, stay clear, it is a nice small game but its just not worth when you can only get half way through this short game anyway. Expand
  36. DX9
    Jan 26, 2012
    For a self-confessed "God-game", Ubisoft's 'From Dust' is almost anything but. The premise is promising: using your God-like powers, alter and terraform the landscape of an ever-changing island to solve logistical problems for a nomadic, faceless tribe. However, the final product proves not only tedious to play, but hypercritical of the genre it claims to be: a railroad-like story whichFor a self-confessed "God-game", Ubisoft's 'From Dust' is almost anything but. The premise is promising: using your God-like powers, alter and terraform the landscape of an ever-changing island to solve logistical problems for a nomadic, faceless tribe. However, the final product proves not only tedious to play, but hypercritical of the genre it claims to be: a railroad-like story which forces you to use your powers at certain times and intervals; a notoriously, somewhat-infamously stupid AI who, although yearn to live in an island paradise, for some reason cannot seem to grasp walking through a puddle of water to another island; and a constant shift in gameplay balance which, therefore, refuses you to control the game effectively. Moreover, Ubisoft's tyrannical, dictatorial DRM proves overtly annoying, forcing you to sign up to Uplay (what the?) to play - a Steam-like digital device, without the extra features, and with more of the propaganda Ubisoft enjoys emitting. That is, in conclusion, if you can actually get the game to run at all. Expand
  37. Jan 26, 2012
    Terribly disappointing. The puzzles are not nearly as clever as Ubisoft seems to think they are. The controls are nothing short of miserable. Pathetic and it looks low-effort even if it wasn't. Completing a level won't even guarantee you a new cut scene, the same sequences keep repeating. Even if they hadn't alienated me with the bait-and-switch they initially tried to pull with their DRMTerribly disappointing. The puzzles are not nearly as clever as Ubisoft seems to think they are. The controls are nothing short of miserable. Pathetic and it looks low-effort even if it wasn't. Completing a level won't even guarantee you a new cut scene, the same sequences keep repeating. Even if they hadn't alienated me with the bait-and-switch they initially tried to pull with their DRM (the game still requires you create an Uplay account, and even after getting rid of the game I can't get rid of the Uplay account) I still would have been disappointed by this game. It looked so beautiful and had so much potential that I pre-ordered it despite not trusting Ubisoft. With the lying they did before and after their DRM scheme was revealed, I will never again grant Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt on ANYTHING. Last. Ubisoft. Purchase. Ever. Expand
  38. Jan 26, 2012
    "A game with huge potential, absolutely spoiled by a sloppy port and tyrannical DRM. Ubisoft lying about the DRM being present is unacceptable, ESPECIALLY for a single-player game. Highly recommend against purchasing".- CheatIsNotDead But other than that the Game is extremely short and the controls are sloppy as hell. so opportunity wasted there.
  39. Jan 9, 2012
    Good idea, poorly executed. I was hoping for a lot more from this game. causes more frustration than enjoyment most of the time. Pros: the amusing sounds the "locals" make and the water animation.
  40. Jan 2, 2012
    From Dust (Steam PC version) Rating 10 / 10

Released 2011.08 (Ubisoft Montpellier) Played 2011.12 Simulation / Adventure (4-12 hrs) [Playthrough] Play as a Deity protecting a small tribe from cyclical tides, tsunamis, and volcanoes; move earth, water, lava, and use magical powers to shape the world they live in. Help them found new colonies, discover knowledge, and adapt to changing
    From Dust (Steam PC version) Rating 10 / 10

[Playthrough] Play as a Deity protecting a small tribe from cyclical tides, tsunamis, and volcanoes; move earth, water, lava, and use magical powers to shape the world they live in. Help them found new colonies, discover knowledge, and adapt to changing conditions of their environment. This game was a breath of fresh air, really fun and hard to put down. I play very few simulation games. For me this was a diversion from my usual fare - see below. This game can be picked up and learned very quickly and plays out with tremendous satisfaction. A must buy for avid gamers.

[Challenges] Play just over a dozen scenarios. Each scenario has multiple goals - some linear, others not, and some optional. Timed challenges within each scenario are fun and abundant. There are few actual skills to be developed however observation, timing and innovation are required to use each one optimally. I was pleased with my progression throughout the game keeping the enjoyment high. Anytime I found myself not easily accomplishing a task I was able to sit back and experiment with success. Great physics make for believable gravity, water, lava, earth simulation. [Audience and Skill level] This game will appeal to a wide audience with any skill level. There is only one difficulty setting, and the game is not difficult. [Children] There is no offensive language, nudity, sex, smoking, drug use, or abusive personalities. There is mild violence in that villagers can be washed away by the ocean or may be smoked by the lava. Proficient use of a mouse to zoom around a 3D world is required.

[PC] E6600 3.0GHz / ASUS P5W Deluxe / 2Gig RAM / Radeon 6770 / 1920x1200 / XP SP3
    [Graphics] I played this on the highest quality settings and experienced no problems. The environment was beautiful. [Sound] I really enjoyed the sounds of drums and and chanting as I zoomed in on the villages, the sound of running water when near rivers and the ocean. Add to that wind, volcanoes, and tsunamis; it is a feast for the ears. [Controls] I played with a keyboard and trackball. The controls were easy to remap but the game did not retain my preferences; fortunately there were less than a dozen controls to remap each time. [Bugs] The game never crashed and never hiccuped. Sweet ! It was possible to build very high volcanoes that created shallow camera angles.

[Replay and alternative modes] You will replay this at least once. My first replay was most enjoyable when I hit the more challenging maps. The game permits you to replay each map individually. The hard maps I replayed many times. Every replay is different because it depends on how you build the world. The game also features a challenge mode. These are fun and short. [Lost points] I could not deduct any points for this game. [Wish list] The game is short at 4-12 hrs, but this is probably a blessing. I would have liked more maps - or even better - a level editor to create and trade maps with other players. At times during the game I imagined myself as the main character in Myst that created worlds by writing in books, each world with all of the success and failings consequential to my actions. Wouldnâ
  41. Jan 1, 2012
    This game was a surprise for me. Is a little diamond with very nice gameplay and some excellent ideas. I have read to the internet about a crappy buggy game but i didn't see anything like that. The only negative is that you need only 6-7 hours to complete this game
  42. Dec 27, 2011
    EDIT!!! : Very sad... Great game... mouse pointer very sluggish and inaccurate, but liveable.. THE MAIN and SEVERE POINT IS... level 7 "High Tides" is broken on the PC version... you can not finish it in 1 out of 100 attempts and if you do it was by pure chance. The XBOX version will show you the difference between it and the PC version, essentially there is a submerged land bridge thatEDIT!!! : Very sad... Great game... mouse pointer very sluggish and inaccurate, but liveable.. THE MAIN and SEVERE POINT IS... level 7 "High Tides" is broken on the PC version... you can not finish it in 1 out of 100 attempts and if you do it was by pure chance. The XBOX version will show you the difference between it and the PC version, essentially there is a submerged land bridge that becomes dry and passable on the XBOX, but never becomes dry or "walk-able" in the PC version. This makes the game impossible to finish, even if you do pass to the island, the water-flood problem prohibits you from completing the final stage of this level. Other than that, it is a brilliant game... just that you can not finish it :( Expand
  43. Dec 26, 2011
    There is an important life lesson that I recieved from this game: that I will never buy from ubisoft again, no matter how promising the game looks. Their pc ports are utterly worthless (that includes prince of persia). This game had so much potential and ubisoft had to ruin it. What a shame. Here's some reasons why this game failed: it requires you to make an account just to play thisThere is an important life lesson that I recieved from this game: that I will never buy from ubisoft again, no matter how promising the game looks. Their pc ports are utterly worthless (that includes prince of persia). This game had so much potential and ubisoft had to ruin it. What a shame. Here's some reasons why this game failed: it requires you to make an account just to play this game. There are no changeable graphics settings except the resolution (and it seems there is a 30fps cap, and the graphics look absolutely terrible even though my computer is capable). Worst controls I have experienced in a video game and you cannot fix it no matter how much you fiddle with the sensitivity and etc. Camera control is sudden, jerky, awkward, and requires much effort. Ubisoft is borderline criminal. I gave this a 4 because I loved the concept of this game, nothing more. Expand
  44. Dec 24, 2011
    Its a fun and beautiful game, for $10 its worth it. Its kind short, like 20 hours but for $10 I wasn't expecting more. I think its worth playing.
  45. Dec 23, 2011
    I can't help but feel like most people reviewing this game are stuck complaining about Ubisoft rather than discussing From Dust as a product. It has a terrible DRM that should never have existed, I'm not going to argue that. There isn't a debate that Ubisoft dropped the ball concerning the release of this game, but does that mean the game is bad? I don't think so. The camera controls areI can't help but feel like most people reviewing this game are stuck complaining about Ubisoft rather than discussing From Dust as a product. It has a terrible DRM that should never have existed, I'm not going to argue that. There isn't a debate that Ubisoft dropped the ball concerning the release of this game, but does that mean the game is bad? I don't think so. The camera controls are clunky, but it can easily be overcome by playing the game for more than 10 minutes, but that is the problem with the people reviewing this game. 95% of them don't play longer than 10 minutes, if at all, before coming to conclusion. This game is beautiful, the dynamic world is beyond incredible, and while short, the story is fun. What people aren't understanding is that this isn't some high-budget game that costs players $50. Had it been, people would be far more justified in their harsh reviews, but it isn't. It is only $15 ($7.50 at the time of writing this review during the Steam Holiday Sale), and for that price, you are getting an amazing game. Expand
  46. Dec 23, 2011
    Really, that bad is this game? NO. It's such a beautiful game, you guys maikng horrible comments are coz you didn't understand how beautiful it is and how different it is and most of you just voted NEGATIVE just coz some guy did and that some guy did it coz some other guy who just did manage to get playing the game did so. Trust me Ubi did foul-up on that DRM thingy but it's fixed. So nowReally, that bad is this game? NO. It's such a beautiful game, you guys maikng horrible comments are coz you didn't understand how beautiful it is and how different it is and most of you just voted NEGATIVE just coz some guy did and that some guy did it coz some other guy who just did manage to get playing the game did so. Trust me Ubi did foul-up on that DRM thingy but it's fixed. So now can u say this game is bad, NO. It wasn't bad and it isn't bad, nice game, 10/10.
    Gameplay is so amazing.
  47. Dec 1, 2011
    I found myself exasperated after a day or so of playing this game, but it is a great concept, fun while it lasts, and is rather beautiful. I find myself most intrigued by the physics, they are really good for such a small game. Since this is made by Ubisoft, I almost feel this is an R&D title that went retail. "Anno 2070" looks to have the exact same engine, but is like Sim City.
  48. Nov 21, 2011
    Poor port, and the Steam version of the game requires third party DRM in the form of Ubisoft game launcher. Isn't Steam DRM enough!? Sick and tired of having to register for online activation, give my contact details and sign my privacy away by agreeing to allow a 3rd party to track information about the games I play and when I play them, just to play a game I legally bought. Wasted myPoor port, and the Steam version of the game requires third party DRM in the form of Ubisoft game launcher. Isn't Steam DRM enough!? Sick and tired of having to register for online activation, give my contact details and sign my privacy away by agreeing to allow a 3rd party to track information about the games I play and when I play them, just to play a game I legally bought. Wasted my money on this, I am never buying another Ubisoft game for PC... Expand
  49. Nov 18, 2011
    Wow. What a shame. From Dust had such potential. In fact, I had given it a review score of 7, with the promise I would change it to a 9 if the issues I had with it were ironed out (as I assume it just had a rough start, like many PC games do, and that the issues would be fixed soon). I was very angry to not only see that they weren't, but that we had also been lied to. Apparently, the gameWow. What a shame. From Dust had such potential. In fact, I had given it a review score of 7, with the promise I would change it to a 9 if the issues I had with it were ironed out (as I assume it just had a rough start, like many PC games do, and that the issues would be fixed soon). I was very angry to not only see that they weren't, but that we had also been lied to. Apparently, the game was supposed to be DRM free. Hah. Although the DRM was recently removed, it still took a few months to do so. The game is still mostly broken, too. Again, it truly is a shame. I wish I could give this a 9, but I can't bring myself to do it, not with all these wobbly controls and various other errors. Expand
  50. Nov 16, 2011
    This game would be a lot more fun if it was functional. I am able to run much more resource intensive games on my computer yet this one seems to be the only one that causes crashes, even after I fully updated my drivers and such.
  51. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is basically a terrain & fluid simulator which it does very well indeed in real time. It does however have no story, and if you took out the mind searingly boring and unskippable cutscenes the game is only an hour or 2 long. Top that with ubisoft's customary crippling DRM and this game is just a big stinking pile.
  52. Oct 29, 2011
    I got my monies worth out of this game, with so many bad reviews I can only imagine that people's expectations were too high, this game was hyped up too much, but for $14 or so what do you really expect. The problem is that there is not too much depth to the game, it's a very pretty physics puzzle, the interface is a little annoying but gets the job done. I'm happy with my purchase.
  53. Oct 28, 2011
    What looks like fun soon turns out to be extremely boring. While the game does look nice, that's about it, and with an obvious console port, this game is absolute rubbish. Ubisoft as a publisher has completely lost my support with their stupid anti pirate protection requiring internet connection.
  54. Oct 18, 2011
    Too short and too small in scope. In the end it's an interesting game and a fun way to spend an afternoon, but there's little replay value. Also the controls were obviously designed for a console and translate fairly poorly to the PC.
  55. Oct 18, 2011
    Rather unimpressive. A concept that could have been SO much more, but unfortunately they made the whole game feel like one long tutorial. It wasn't really challenging, just about doing it right. And theres SO damn little to do. Seriously. My interest reached it's peak about 10 minutes into the game, then it declined, when I realized that what I saw right now, was pretty much what I'd beRather unimpressive. A concept that could have been SO much more, but unfortunately they made the whole game feel like one long tutorial. It wasn't really challenging, just about doing it right. And theres SO damn little to do. Seriously. My interest reached it's peak about 10 minutes into the game, then it declined, when I realized that what I saw right now, was pretty much what I'd be seeing 10 hours into the game.. Not worth your monies, shortlived "entertainment" Expand
  56. Oct 11, 2011
    First off, the DRM is obnoxious, but some people will care more about that than others, and it says more about Ubisoft as a company than about the game itself, so I won't let it have any effect on my rating.

As for the game mechanics, the physics system is amazing. Water not only flows realistically, but it seems to accurately fill up depressions, erode earth, deposit silt, and everything else it does in real life. Personally, I could play with this simulation in sandbox mode for hours.

Which is a good thing, because the biggest negative with this game is that there's very little to it OTHER than playing with the physics. The last few levels ramp up the difficulty to the point where I had to really try to save those idiot villagers, but overall, if you're just playing with the goal of completing the game, it can be done in a few sittings.

As I played through the campaign, I was mollified by many "challenge map unlocked" messages, which made me less anxious about the alarmingly fast rate at which I seemed to be completing the campaign. However, I was severely disappointed when, after finishing the campaign and trying out some of the challenge maps, I discovered that these maps are tiny, with limited terraforming abilities, and can generally be finished in under a minute or two.

The real shame here is that they must have put an enormous amount of work into the technical foundations for this game, and it shows, but they really dropped the ball on things like interface (there's very little zoom range for the camera, for instance) and total amount of content (Just as the game seems like it's getting out of the "tutorial" stages, it's over). Given the superb game engine and beautiful visuals, it's too bad they didn't put in the relatively minor effort to polish the much easier (but just as important) aspects of the game.
  57. Oct 11, 2011
    Absolutely disappointing! A fabulous concept destroyed by some amateur producers from Ubisoft. God game? Yeah, sure, in your dreams!
    Obsolete cinematix, pathetic narrative line. Actually, it's one of the worst games of this year! Score: 1
  58. Oct 6, 2011
    If sandbox is your thing, this is your game. Colorful and immersive, though at times frustrating, From Dust offers around 30hrs of play inclueding replay value. There was much potential for a greater title but failed to hit that lasting high one should feel from the god perspective. Worth a shot, but it will eventually leave you with an empty feeling.
  59. Oct 2, 2011
    Very pleased with this game. At this price range, I certainly got a great value for my money. Superb-looking, interesting and oddly relaxing, the game is engrossing and a welcome change in the tedious flow of RPGs and FPS. I hardly noticed any bugs and the controls are manageable, after some adaptation. AI could be better but then it's a puzzle game mainly, so the behaviour of the NPC isVery pleased with this game. At this price range, I certainly got a great value for my money. Superb-looking, interesting and oddly relaxing, the game is engrossing and a welcome change in the tedious flow of RPGs and FPS. I hardly noticed any bugs and the controls are manageable, after some adaptation. AI could be better but then it's a puzzle game mainly, so the behaviour of the NPC is only a parameter in the solution and I did not expect any of the NPC to suddenly start building a bridge or something... The challenges are a welcome addition once you complete the main quest. A fun game with flaws, sure, but I applaud the new approach. (By the way, the whole DRM thing in the reviews is annoying, and a poor reflection on people's willingness to feel outraged and to bask in their anger, chill out already...) Expand
  60. Oct 1, 2011
    Those villagers are stupid as ****
  61. Sep 25, 2011
    This game has a lot of potential but is to repetitive and annoying to be an enjoyable game, the cameras are also bad and unchangeable and gameplay is just annoying.
  62. Sep 21, 2011
    Yeah, unfortunately I have to agree with bobreviews and most of the other reviewers: This is one of those games where it looked promising and completely failed to deliver. Moving terrain around for the sake of moving terrain around shouldn't be the entire game if it doesn't add some feasibly entertaining game-play.
  63. Sep 17, 2011
    Great idea for a game, but my god, the PC porting and DRM was absurd. Ruined the entire experience and reinforced the trend that Ubisoft is not to be trusted.
  64. Sep 17, 2011
    This is a very original and beautiful game!! The ultra-negative reviews are a shame.
    Only the mouse controls are very glitchy. The game has been designed to be played with game console controller. The use of a Xbox 360 controller is a must. Ubisfot also recommends the use of it.
  65. Sep 11, 2011
    I had heard a bunch of good things about this game from various sources, and that made me buy the game.
    However I was extremely disappointed when I saw what it actually was.
    there are many problems with this game, The AI of the tribesmen is extremely frustrating, and really hard to work around. The controls for the game were clearly made for a controller and not a mouse, and form the looks
    However I was extremely disappointed when I saw what it actually was.
    there are many problems with this game,
    The controls for the game were clearly made for a controller and not a mouse, and form the looks of it, nothing has changed there when they ported it over.
    The graphics are OK, to put it generously.
    The Ubi soft launcher is a curse, And is really freaking annoying to deal with. this is by far the worst part of the game as you can not bypass it. The DRM ruins the game completely.

While no single part of the game with the possible exception of the DRM/launcher shenanigans is worth a bottom score, when you take a look on the game as a whole, everything about it is way below what you would expect, it doesn't have a redeeming feature, Which is the reason for my low score.
    The game is not very expensive, but for what it is, it is too expensive by a large margin.
  66. Sep 10, 2011
    I bought this game after seeing a video review on another website. I was intrigued at the concept and it reminded me of a game I used to play a long time ago called Magic Carpet where the player had the ability to sculpt the land up and down. I had a blast with that game so I thought I'd give this a try. Thankfully this game did not let me down. This is a strategy game so if you'reI bought this game after seeing a video review on another website. I was intrigued at the concept and it reminded me of a game I used to play a long time ago called Magic Carpet where the player had the ability to sculpt the land up and down. I had a blast with that game so I thought I'd give this a try. Thankfully this game did not let me down. This is a strategy game so if you're looking for an action simulator this isn't it. You have to think in this one and use all your powers to solve each level and challenge. The levels were imaginative and involved and rewarding. Manipulating the elements to conform a map to your goal of capturing each totem site and then getting to the gateway to go to the next map. The challenges were also a lot of fun and left me with some interesting solutions. This is one of the best 15 bucks I've spent on a game in a long time. This game is really an advanced game that requires quite a bit of imagination and concentration. Most people do not fall into this category so I would imagine that is the reason for the poor reviews on this site. If you like a challenge to your imagination and concentration then this game will not let you down. If you like puzzle games you will like this one. Expand
  67. Sep 9, 2011
    Ok i thought the game was great apart from the control system, I think there can be some learning from the old populas game, where the flow off the game made it great (old gamer here), the game was priced correctly, I felt certain options could off played better i.e zoom in animation, but still a good game, make it bigger next time as I thought the physics was great, mark 2 will beOk i thought the game was great apart from the control system, I think there can be some learning from the old populas game, where the flow off the game made it great (old gamer here), the game was priced correctly, I felt certain options could off played better i.e zoom in animation, but still a good game, make it bigger next time as I thought the physics was great, mark 2 will be better I want a GOD game. Expand
  68. Sep 9, 2011
    A poor port, AND Ubisofts F**ked up DRM that wont let you play at all, when THEIR servers are down!!!!!... Totally unplayable! I hope noone buys it!!!
  69. Sep 7, 2011
    I can't believe that the bad reviews! This is a GREAT game, not only a great tech demo for what's possible today, but also fun. Some people say it's too hard. Well, I had to restart one level, the rest i got at the first try. So it's not too hard! And I'm no pro gamer. It's also wonderfully designed and the Tsunamis are just epic. I wish it was longer but for the price it's perfect. II can't believe that the bad reviews! This is a GREAT game, not only a great tech demo for what's possible today, but also fun. Some people say it's too hard. Well, I had to restart one level, the rest i got at the first try. So it's not too hard! And I'm no pro gamer. It's also wonderfully designed and the Tsunamis are just epic. I wish it was longer but for the price it's perfect. I normally don't give 10s, but here I will, just beacause some people write "reviews" without even playing... Expand
  70. Sep 5, 2011
    Broken AI, lazy porting to pc, incredibly hard, frustrating, and not at all rewarding gameplay... From Dust was a major disappointment. The graphics are amazing, and the style it was made in was also. But this ended up just like Spore: Hype was built up, developers got lazy, and the game crashed and burned. This is a kind of game with extreme potential, but I don't think even the sandboxBroken AI, lazy porting to pc, incredibly hard, frustrating, and not at all rewarding gameplay... From Dust was a major disappointment. The graphics are amazing, and the style it was made in was also. But this ended up just like Spore: Hype was built up, developers got lazy, and the game crashed and burned. This is a kind of game with extreme potential, but I don't think even the sandbox mode they're promising it enough to make it better. Expand
  71. Sep 5, 2011
    Rate game, not DRM !!!. Realy great game, inovative and fun sandbox. For me its strategy game of the year. Especialy for 15 usd game. Finished it in one "breath". :)
  72. Sep 5, 2011
    Pretty average physics puzzle game with poor controls, trys too get the flavour of Populous A New Beginning but misses the mark, worth a punt for under a £5
  73. Sep 4, 2011
    This game is awesome: great use of the elements, great graphics, original scenario.
    The only way you could be disappointed is if you expect a game like Black and White or Populous (other type of god games).
    This game is different, unique of his kind: if you like god games and look for a new experience, this is it. Plus at $15, this is really a good deal. I hope they will come with DLC...
  74. Sep 4, 2011
    I can only agree, with things, that were already said before.

I can only agree, with things, that were already said before.

The idea behind the game is brilliant and it somehow feels like a "Popuplous - The Beginning" Clone, with all those natives and the terraforming aspect. But there is a huge difference here. Populous had tons of more game concept depth, altough its from 1998... I could have enjoyed the game alot more, if its controls weren't so messed up. And the need for loggin in online is really annoying for ppl like me, that are still interessted in their privacy. If I buy a singleplayer game, I really see NO REASON, why I am forced to stay logged in all the time.
  75. Sep 3, 2011
    The landscape graphics and physics are amazing, rivers will evolve on it's own, carve canyons and develop river deltas, lava will create mountains. But, the problem is that the game play is nothing more than a poor showcase of the landscape engine. After you finish the campaign and tried some challenge missions (in a day or so) there is no replay value whatsoever. What I'm truly lacking isThe landscape graphics and physics are amazing, rivers will evolve on it's own, carve canyons and develop river deltas, lava will create mountains. But, the problem is that the game play is nothing more than a poor showcase of the landscape engine. After you finish the campaign and tried some challenge missions (in a day or so) there is no replay value whatsoever. What I'm truly lacking is a custom game you would expect in a god game like this. But there are none since the actual game elements are not developed enough to allow for this. This game engine could be the base of an amazing god game, however, this game is not it. Expand
  76. Sep 3, 2011
    The game never worked on my PC. Good support system, though. Currently Ubisoft support is dodging the question how I get back the money I paid for my pre-order by suggesting I should play the game on a friend's computer, if I can find one where it runs.
  77. Sep 2, 2011
    people said that the controls in this game were terrible, but i disagree. they're different but it's not like you cant find the cursor or it's unplayable, the game's controls are just a bit harder to use. and not harder as in buggy, i mean like it's part of the design if that makes sense. and the drm isnt bad, ubisoft just made a bad decision with adding a launcher when they could havepeople said that the controls in this game were terrible, but i disagree. they're different but it's not like you cant find the cursor or it's unplayable, the game's controls are just a bit harder to use. and not harder as in buggy, i mean like it's part of the design if that makes sense. and the drm isnt bad, ubisoft just made a bad decision with adding a launcher when they could have just used steam to manage that stuff. otherwise, lots of bugs have been fixed from a patch ubisoft gave out and the graphics & physics look almost flawless.

overall, this game is fun and once you get past the launcher (which isnt too bad, so stop your whining you trolls) the games deserves a 9/10
  78. Sep 2, 2011
    Same as others, great potential, terrible result. Even as a puzzle game/strategy game alone, this game fails. All levels for the first 90% of the game could be solved by a lobotomized monkey, but then the game throws you a curveball level that has more a twitch minigame than a puzzle. Honestly, I would recommend trying before buying.
  79. Sep 1, 2011
    Do not buy this game, boycott everything from Ubisoft until they get their head straight that consumers are NOT going to put up with this DRM crap. I don't mind putting in a CD code. I don't even mind a one time activation online but I REFUSE to be TOLD I MUST BE ONLINE TO PLAY A DAMN SILLY GAME when I want to play it. This comes down to FORCED INTERNET CONNECTION and MONTHLY SERVICE FEESDo not buy this game, boycott everything from Ubisoft until they get their head straight that consumers are NOT going to put up with this DRM crap. I don't mind putting in a CD code. I don't even mind a one time activation online but I REFUSE to be TOLD I MUST BE ONLINE TO PLAY A DAMN SILLY GAME when I want to play it. This comes down to FORCED INTERNET CONNECTION and MONTHLY SERVICE FEES FROM ISP's as well as buying the damn game. The game is a pile of crap anyways. It's nothing more than lemmings and Populus with fancy smancy graphics. Expand
  80. Aug 31, 2011
    Game relies on a connection to Ubisoft's unreliable server to play. In other words, the game is made unplayable by Ubisoft's inability to keep their servers running.
  81. Aug 29, 2011
    This is an awesome game. Graphics are gorgeous, gameplay is totally unique, and the underlying tech is state of the art. There is nothing else like this out there. Its difficult in a good way and part of the fun is learning how to use the spells. I wish there was more content, but as a whole, its a steal at $15. I really think the bad reviews are related to the always on DRM. ThatThis is an awesome game. Graphics are gorgeous, gameplay is totally unique, and the underlying tech is state of the art. There is nothing else like this out there. Its difficult in a good way and part of the fun is learning how to use the spells. I wish there was more content, but as a whole, its a steal at $15. I really think the bad reviews are related to the always on DRM. That doesn't bother me since I play on steam on my desktop. I am already 'always on'. Some claims in the other reviews are downright false. No mouse sensitivity? C'mon dude its 2 clicks from the main menu under common controls. I had no technical issues on my mid range, 2 year old PC.

If you are tired of the same old games and looking for some new emergent game play, I strongly recommend 'from dust'.
  82. Aug 29, 2011
    There are not enough ways to say garbage. The ONLY thing it has going for it is the graphics. Its super short, super easy, horrid support of the "story" and oh! Did I mention QQsoft lied about the DRM? Granted its a $15 dollar game, that I did get a refund for from Steam thank you, but i expect that what you paid for was to test the acceptance of the DRM and you get a **** game along with it.
  83. Aug 28, 2011
    What starts off as something that appears limited and simply quickly turns into something rather challenging and enjoyable. Sure I could never sit and just play it for a full day thinking I'd just leave it yet something pulled me back into it and by the time I'd gotten to the last level I was hooked (btw I hate the last level - only got it on around my 7th attempt).

DRM issues aside (and

DRM issues aside (and being forced to watch their cut scenes at the start of every level) I enjoyed this little game and I'm keen to start on some of the challenge maps that I've unlocked while playing through the game the first time. I always ask myself after completing a game (if I even get to completing them these days): Did I enjoy this game and would I want a sequel with more depth or challenges? The answer is yes and yes!
  84. Aug 28, 2011
    Very disappointed by the game. Seemed a great idea but between the awful Uplay imposed on us by Ubisoft, combined with a very bad interface and hazardous controls, it's hardly worth a try as long as the price has not been divided by 4. A good idea and a bad realization.
  85. Aug 28, 2011
    I am shocked the Metacritic user score is so low on this amazing game. So much so that i had to sign up to Metacritic to have my say too.
    I read the dev's are calling this the heir to populous and I would say that they are spot on with this. I loved Populous when it came out, couldn't stop playing it - same with From Dust. I love the fact that you control nature and not your men live every other god sim, that gives this a really fresh twist - which is exactly what the god sim genre needed. Sure there is a massive puzzle solving element to From Dust, but there always is to god sims and anyone who says otherwise would be lying or so well practiced at the same old god sim games they don't need to think about it (people who played every Age of Empires, Civ, Sim City etc. game would probably have to think a lot less than people like me who play god sims occasionally and don't want to have to watch several hours of tutorials just to be able to start playing like Civ 4).

I found From Dust fun, pretty and addictive. Having completed the main story I am working through the challenge mode which is really cool too. The only thing I would change with From Dust is that I would make it longer in the main story - but the cheaper price reflects the shorted game so it's fair enough.

I can't wait for From Dust 2, but I will probably replay From Dust a few times before it hopefully comes out.
  86. Aug 27, 2011
    This game has a lot of potential but a lack of content and draconian DRM hold it back. I can not comment on all the bugs reported by other people as I experience none during my play through. The game is actually really enjoyable for the first play through. However, expect that to last 3-6 maxs. Afterwards there really isn't a whole lot left to do. The game lacks content and is far toThis game has a lot of potential but a lack of content and draconian DRM hold it back. I can not comment on all the bugs reported by other people as I experience none during my play through. The game is actually really enjoyable for the first play through. However, expect that to last 3-6 maxs. Afterwards there really isn't a whole lot left to do. The game lacks content and is far to easy. It seems as though it got simplified to death. Also having to log in on-line every time you want to play is rather ridiculous. Expand
  87. Aug 27, 2011
    I really really really wanted to like this. But they destroyed it. Screw ubisoft. Camera movement is horrible and the game is so simple I feel like it's not even worth $10
  88. Aug 27, 2011
    The only way to play this game properly is to get yerself a crack from torrents. Then all crashes are suddenly gone! I played straight through the campaign w/o a single crash. It was last game from Ubi i bought.
  89. Aug 25, 2011
    this game is a bad port of a bad game. let me explain points by points why you should avoid from dust like the plague.
    1. bad port : it does not support well normal computer and cant exploit the pc potential as such you get: a.choppy graphic
    b.low fps (30 on a nvidia GTX 570) c.memory leak d.processing leak 2.it lack's mouse capture witch make it impossible to play if you have more than
    b.low fps (30 on a nvidia GTX 570)
    c.memory leak
    d.processing leak

2.it lack's mouse capture witch make it impossible to play if you have more than one screen (witch is my case)

3.crappy redundant DRM (yes you herd me) make's it even worse

4. lastly if you played the MUCH better game Black & White you well this is a downgrade if the tutorial level repeated again and again throughout the game.

you're much better off playing minecraft or terraria as a Gog-game than this
  90. Aug 25, 2011
    Clocking in at one to two hours, TRAUMA might be slightly more expensive than you might want to pay, though the game itself is certainly fresh. Far and away the most provocative aspect is the ability of the game to transmute what seems like a far-too-normal world into someplace magical. It's a rare treat, accomplished by understated art design, appropriately subdued sound, and a focus onClocking in at one to two hours, TRAUMA might be slightly more expensive than you might want to pay, though the game itself is certainly fresh. Far and away the most provocative aspect is the ability of the game to transmute what seems like a far-too-normal world into someplace magical. It's a rare treat, accomplished by understated art design, appropriately subdued sound, and a focus on exploration over traditional "puzzle solving." TRAUMA won't knock you over the head - it's far too mature for that. Rather, it seeps into your consciousness as you play, and is quite wonderful given it's simple presentation. If you're looking for strong puzzle mechanics, action, or traditional gameplay, look elsewhere. However, if you're an art-house gamer, interested in seeing what the game-medium can deliver in terms of emotional impact and experimentation, clearly you need to pick this up. Expand
  91. Aug 25, 2011
    This game was a total disappointment. Populos? Black & White? God game? No way. The game consists in bringing some npcs from point A to point B. And repeat over and over again. For doing that, you raise or lower terrain, remove water and a few things like those.

That is all...
  92. Aug 24, 2011
    Seriously, most of the negative reviewers here need to get a life. I hate the DRM stuff too, as the UBI Launcher only works 1 in 7 times. (Not only on this game, but on Settlers 7, an excellent, excellent game.) I guess this is a form of boycott, and hopefully they listen, but still... let's move on to the game.

The graphics are fine. Anyone complaining about things like 30fps and

The graphics are fine. Anyone complaining about things like 30fps and antialiasing issues needs to turn off the monitor and go outside. It's 60fps and max AA out there. The controls are a little fiddly but not bad... you're not trying to place things that precisely anyhow. I haven't tried using a controller with it, but that might be a little better than the mouse.

I consider this a kids' game difficulty-wise, since it reminds me of the first 15 levels of Lemmings. I'm sure the reference will go over 90% of people's heads but for puzzle games it's the original. Maybe some expansions can offer some bigger challenges.

The message that we have to recover the knowledge of the ancients is a good one to leave kids with... the most important one, really.

Anyhow, this is a fun game for anyone who [never had/misses having] a sandbox. Have fun pushing around the sand, rock, and water and don't worry too much about the little people on the screen. They're just there to help out your imagination a little if you've grown up in the sterile, cartoons-and-gaming-saturated world of the 90's and 00's. The mechanic could easily be utilized in a full-budget title to great effect. I'm always hoping for an Actraiser reboot :)
  93. Aug 24, 2011
    Pirated this game after I heard of the brutal DRM and other problems, the funny thing is that it works fine for me. DRM doesn't discourage pirating, it encourages it. Overall the game is fun but there are some nagging problems like the inability to skip the 1 cutscene that replays over and over and also the lack of graphics customization. Created this account to make this review and thePirated this game after I heard of the brutal DRM and other problems, the funny thing is that it works fine for me. DRM doesn't discourage pirating, it encourages it. Overall the game is fun but there are some nagging problems like the inability to skip the 1 cutscene that replays over and over and also the lack of graphics customization. Created this account to make this review and the captcha was no joke "UB RIP"...fitting I suppose after seeing all these negative reviews!. Expand
  94. Aug 24, 2011
    After watching a few trailers for this one a few weeks ago, I was very curious in how this game would play. It's a cool idea to be a kind of all powerful elemental god of an ancient tribe, especially for 15 bucks, but unfortunately it seems its just not that fun. While playing though this I just felt like i didn't have all that much to do. Every level seemed to play like a tutorial whereAfter watching a few trailers for this one a few weeks ago, I was very curious in how this game would play. It's a cool idea to be a kind of all powerful elemental god of an ancient tribe, especially for 15 bucks, but unfortunately it seems its just not that fun. While playing though this I just felt like i didn't have all that much to do. Every level seemed to play like a tutorial where you were learning some cool ability but never getting a level where you have the power to use them as you would want to or the choice on when to use it. I guess i have been pretty hard on this game and maybe i was expecting something else but its not all bad it looks nice and the control was good enough (mouse scroll could get a bit strange) but its ok for a dumbed down version of lemmings. Expand
  95. Aug 23, 2011
    Well, the game is obviously not on par with the average PC gamers standards, but it is a truly beautiful and well-made game in most aspects. Sure, the camera sucks (hint: use the arrow keys to adjust tilt) and the graphics aren't crazy customizable. But i've had fun with it, it is a challenging puzzler, a realistic nature simulator, and despite the standard graphics, really does stand outWell, the game is obviously not on par with the average PC gamers standards, but it is a truly beautiful and well-made game in most aspects. Sure, the camera sucks (hint: use the arrow keys to adjust tilt) and the graphics aren't crazy customizable. But i've had fun with it, it is a challenging puzzler, a realistic nature simulator, and despite the standard graphics, really does stand out as one of those games that makes you say "Wow, I couldn't imagine this 10 years ago." For the $15 price tag, it is definitely worth the experience, with or without flaws. Expand
  96. Aug 23, 2011
    An great example where the publisher **** up a game. A decent game that could have easily been a 7 or 8 out of 10, now becomes a 4 out of 10 thanks to Ubisoft's brilliant DRM (and lying).
  97. Aug 23, 2011
    Well, this game had the right idea but in the end failed to give me anything more then a time killer. I really tried to get into it, boosted my stereo up and turned off the lights. Within 2 hours I found myself playing flash games on the internet. Its concept of world building with limited powers made for a cool puzzle at first. After awhile you find your powers lacking and feel like youWell, this game had the right idea but in the end failed to give me anything more then a time killer. I really tried to get into it, boosted my stereo up and turned off the lights. Within 2 hours I found myself playing flash games on the internet. Its concept of world building with limited powers made for a cool puzzle at first. After awhile you find your powers lacking and feel like you are just wasting your time accomplishing nothing more then making a giant bulky mass of sand to save your dudes from some lava. Expand
  98. Aug 23, 2011
    This game boring and bad. Additionally DRM, that had to be only during installation and is all the time. Do not buy the games of Ubisoft !

Game: 5/10 DRM - 5pt.
    Score: 0/10
  99. Aug 22, 2011
    the Game fails with its resolution. the premise is very promising though.... it fails to be engaging in the long run... but maybe when they update the game with different modes, it can be playable...
  100. Aug 22, 2011
    I don't know where all the fuzz is about regarding drm, etc. Probably it is a stinker but I don't mind, not familiar with the history. What i see is that there is some harassent about the game because of the drm issue while the game itself is not central stage. -the game itself is really unique although has some minor flaws which can be traced back to the console port. In general thoughI don't know where all the fuzz is about regarding drm, etc. Probably it is a stinker but I don't mind, not familiar with the history. What i see is that there is some harassent about the game because of the drm issue while the game itself is not central stage. -the game itself is really unique although has some minor flaws which can be traced back to the console port. In general though the creativity and nice graphics/ physics makes more than up to it.
    -the AI pathfinding is more than ok, I don't know what people expect but if you lead your "guys" the way (who can climb a cliff-face?) they do what is required by their god :-). I honestly don't understand the complaints here unless you want to see a mutiny on your subordinates.
    -I had no problem with visuals or whatever (framerates, etc). It seems some people have which is an issue if true for the publisher if no minority.
    -the pricetag was only 15 so if you can play > 20 hours easily if having fun and be in a "portal-like" engagement what the **** is the uproar about unless you really can't play it.
    A very fine game and hope they iron out the minor glices. Just to inform in case you are afraid you have a software issue. I use a vista 32 bit quad core geforce 9500gs. Gl all. -if you just uncheck the mouse scroll you get an acceptable mouse/ keyboard control.
  101. Aug 17, 2011
    Once again a promising idea is destroyed by what I assume is publisher meddling. Ubisoft have pulled a 'Spore' with From Dust. Trailers and Interviews hinted at a powerfully beautiful return to the God game. Instead what we have is a tepid puzzle game that suffers from horrible camera, controls and lack of any reason to continue whatsoever. Altering the landscape turns out to be aOnce again a promising idea is destroyed by what I assume is publisher meddling. Ubisoft have pulled a 'Spore' with From Dust. Trailers and Interviews hinted at a powerfully beautiful return to the God game. Instead what we have is a tepid puzzle game that suffers from horrible camera, controls and lack of any reason to continue whatsoever. Altering the landscape turns out to be a haphazard affair, with the game ignoring some attempts, shifting the camera and getting in your way at every turn. The concept was solid, but what happened? Only a publisher like Ubisoft could mess something up so horribly. Jump cuts to pre-rendered cutscenes and forced camera pans jar you about, while the music cuts suddenly during transition.

Frustration sets in when the controls fail, Villagers are willfully stupid, and an invisible puddle of water somewhere impedes the construction of another village. Could we not move the village to a safer spot? No. This is where the game has railroaded you. The only winning option is not to play.

To truly enjoy playing God you have to beat a few obstacles – technical issues, arguable DRM and user-unfriendly controls. Console-to-PC conversion took its price this time. [Oct 2011]
  2. Oct 19, 2011
    From Dust feels like a demo of Populous 4. Tutorial parts (with too much hand helding) ran too long, but couple of levels display the possibilities what From Dust could have been. Still worth the price, though. [Sept 2011]
  3. Sep 15, 2011
    From Dusk is a very interesting title to play, but could have been a great game if the controls and difficulty were more polished.