Front Mission Evolved PC

5.1

1. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's not simulation enough to be an Armored Core or MechWarrior game and it's not third person shooter enough to be like one of the Cybertron series Transformers games. Sufficed to say, there are better places to get your mech action.

It's not completely terrible, just very bland and unpolished. I can't deny that I had fun but I was never terribly excited. The boring story is partially lifted from the Super Famicom game, Front Mission Gunhazard, which is a far superior action mech game to this one.

I had great hopes for this game, that it would be a fun mech sim/shooter in the Front Mission universe, however it's hard to ignore how rushed and mediocre everything is. Front Mission is known for its mech customization which is present here, but don't expect any Armored Core level of depth. For some people that may be a good thing since Armored Core can be very complicated but they take it too far in the other direction to the point where customization is practically needless.

The sound is nothing special either with passable voice acting and practically no music which adds to the underwhelming feeling of most missions. Add to that the graphics which aren't necessarily terrible but almost look like something from the previous generation.

To make matters worse they shoehorned in on-foot segments, perhaps also in homage to Gunhazard, and they're even more poorly designed than the mech segments which are at least occasionally fun for what they are. The story mode is incredibly short though, with only a few frustrating and poorly designed boss fights to slow you down. Expect to beat this in an evening.

I would still recommend this game to fellow mecha nuts and fans of the Font Mission series with the caveat that they only pay a few dollars and that they go in with low expectations. There is still fun to be had for genre fans but everyone else should stay far away. It's a crime that the west was given this game and not the stellar Front Mission 5.
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    Being a fan of Front Mission (turn base style) I wasn't really looking forward to the evolution of the series at all; mainly because giant mechs roaming big cities is hard to pull off immersion wise.

With FME I was hoping to feel big and powerful. A weapon that answers the call when enemies attack. You do answer the call, but the big and powerful is never felt. Weapons feel under powered with a distinct lack of feed back and poorly animated models that don't show any real damage to enemy mechs. The melee combat is even worse! The game would have benefited from button mashing moments (yes it's a derived method) but it was needed here as there was no depth to melee at all. Rocket laucher take downs of helicopters was probably the nicest touch but that's all I can say on the combat side of things.

Graphically it is underwhelming with no special effects added and on my PC with everything on MAX, it was hugely disappointing. The city wasn't varied enough graphically and it just felt like a corridor shooter. The city was designed to add a little bit of exploration but because every street looks the same with no landmarks for key areas you just follow the minimap throughout; meaning exploration for bonuses means you only really stumble across them if you take your eyes off the minimap for a second.

The game could have redeemed itself a little with the story but it's a wash out. This uninspiring tripe belongs to the low budget scifi rubbish you see on the syfy channel. The dialog is familiar to the FM universe but still....

The whole package is not only uninspiring but it has the hallmarks of a mod. From the tutorial at the start that lacked any kind of fluidity and was just segments of "this is how you do this" cut and paste into an intro was shouting "TACK ON" throughout it's it entirety! I purchased this game for £1.99 from the Square Enix sale and I still feel like it's money wasted. I actually had more fun on the Transformer games than this but I think it was source material rather than quality (as the Transformers games had none) to be fair.
  3. Oct 12, 2010
    The narrative and dialog is very familiar Front Mission. However the strategy and fun is gone. The customization leaves much to be desired for most of the game, almost every level after 4 or 5 have some sort of requirement, even if just "biped legs", the "secrets" such as emblems sensors or other goodies seem to encourage you to just walk around in levels after all danger (and fun?) isThe narrative and dialog is very familiar Front Mission. However the strategy and fun is gone. The customization leaves much to be desired for most of the game, almost every level after 4 or 5 have some sort of requirement, even if just "biped legs", the "secrets" such as emblems sensors or other goodies seem to encourage you to just walk around in levels after all danger (and fun?) is dealt with and just look for the bonus item that is behind you. Which can be time consuming with a mech that is very cumbersome once its "slide" is exhausted.

Since you can only control yourself, customize, and rely on your self as the only unit on your side, fun combinations and strategy seem to be removed. Many missions have friendly mechs, but the likelihood of them doing anything other than sliding around and missing with pot shots is very low. And if they DO manage to defeat an enemy, you will just be disappointed that they got the kill credit so you didn't get money for it.

The entire game is an obtusely obvious quick xbox port(even menus lack mouse support), which is forgivable until you get to multiplayer. In which you get to wait in long lines to be auto matched without any text communication with teammates, pre or mid game. The painful multiplayer also feeds the problem of lack of players in general.

If you HAVE to play a new mech (wanzer) game, then pick this up, otherwise just pretend it doesn't exist.
  4. Sep 12, 2011
    Oh Front Mission, why have you forsaken me? All the hours wasted playing FM3 and 4 with its tactics and unlockable skills and awesome weapons. Instead its Virtua On or Armored Core with a more in depth story. Graphics are impressive, but that doesnt save terrible stories or that every mission im required to use parts i dont want to use. The Wanzer creation screen is confusing andOh Front Mission, why have you forsaken me? All the hours wasted playing FM3 and 4 with its tactics and unlockable skills and awesome weapons. Instead its Virtua On or Armored Core with a more in depth story. Graphics are impressive, but that doesnt save terrible stories or that every mission im required to use parts i dont want to use. The Wanzer creation screen is confusing and somehow i wasted all my money by accidently clicking on something.

Unfortunately Square Enix is getting the shotgun off the wall..."No ma, Front Mission is my dog."
    BLAM!
  5. Feb 22, 2011
    I really didn't want to give a bad score to a Front Mission game, but this one takes the biscuit...

Bought from Steam (after a wonderful holiday of cheap deals!)- it states "multi language" on the shop page... fair enough, PAY done... woot ... Start the game, NO LANGUAGE OPTIONS... The language is automatically set to the country you live in .... in my case ; Japan, - thanks! . ... bite the hand that feeds you why not!?

From the intro, you could tell this was a "ruined by Hollywood" take on a Japanese game. All action, no tension. You know, Id prefer it to have the 2d faces speaking to than the crappy 3D acting. (the speech is in English, text in Japanese...)

The game? Its "alright" to a sense it is VERY linear (go this way then that way then) - the game mechanics feel VERY old, especially in the time of open world sandbox simulation! - I mean, ... you're a huge mech for cyring out loud! Controls dont necessarily feel wrong - theyre mostly tried and tested from the normal shootemup genre. WASD and mouse... or a joypad. Its a shame that it doesnt take some cues from some mech simulation games.

My rundown, this one is good if you've never played an FPS or mech game in your life... otherwise, look elsewhere!
  6. Mar 11, 2011
    This game could e great with a better single player campaign, maybe some coop on it, npcs customizations ... but nothing. The story is boring, the bosses worse and there's no replay value. The multiplayer could also be great, but it is leveled, not newbie friendly, you end up playing with people you don't know and with a terrible ping, few maps, bad UI ... damn you SQUARE ENIX!
  7. Feb 16, 2011
    Got the game on sale through steam and sadly it is not even worth it as a bargain title. The controls are clunky. The gameplay is bland. Customization is nearly irrelevant. The small amount of customzing you can do has little affect on the play. At every turn the GUI is a hindrance. The online community for this game is non-existent. The single player campaign will put you to sleep. All inGot the game on sale through steam and sadly it is not even worth it as a bargain title. The controls are clunky. The gameplay is bland. Customization is nearly irrelevant. The small amount of customzing you can do has little affect on the play. At every turn the GUI is a hindrance. The online community for this game is non-existent. The single player campaign will put you to sleep. All in all just a bad buy. I couldn't suggest this game if it was 5 bucks, much less 20 or more. Expand
  8. Feb 25, 2011
    Thank god it was 75% off. Probably alright on console, as a PC game probably shouldn't have made it out of Beta...

- Lags when it has to load enemies
    - Menus don't always work unless using keyboard.
    - Online for multiplayer, has like 5 people total in it...
  9. Oct 1, 2010
    I was really hoping that FME would be the next awesome game in the FM storyline but boy o boy was I disappointed. The Storyline did not live up to a square enix title. The game has graphics I would expect from 2-3 years ago. The gameplay is clunky...broken into each little engagement then a loading screen. Music is terrible, voice-overs medicore at best.

List of annoyances: 1) No way to

List of annoyances:
    1) No way to quit the game from the hanger menu
    2) Some enemies are just retarded to fight. (look forward to 20-30 minute fights of constant movement to dodge incoming fire. The dodging is fine, I get that but the fact that i have to sit and beat on an enemy for 20 minutes to kill them when I die in about 20 seconds if i stand still is just retarded). Sure 1v1 boss fight I expect to have some difficulty, however I do not expect to be 1-shotted by a boss after 10 minutes of fighting.
    3) Controls are clunky. It is very hard to get a grasp of what your mech will do with the controls on your keyboard. All in All: I can't really find a positive note about this game which is why I am going to give it a 0.
    The game feels unpolished, and as if it was developed without a clue about the previous FME games.
    This is even a worse failure than Star Trek Online (although the 3rd person action was somewhat better). I would not pay $50/$60 for this game. Please do yourself a favour and wait until this one enters the under $20 category. No amount of patches or DLC will be able to fix this game. Double Helix has had a knack for ruining decent games and well this is just another failure on their record.
    My worst regret is that I bought it off of steam and wont get a refund....zzzz

1. Jan 13, 2011
    In the end, Front Mission Evolved took the concept of third-person mech combat and took all the fun out of it. It is hard to not compare it to other games like it because the other ones got the core of it right. If Square Enix decides to take the series back to being a tactical RPG, I wouldn't blame them.
  2. Jan 13, 2011
    While Evolved may not be a game of the year contender and definitely has some faults, it is also probably the most fun I have had in a mech game since the original MechAssault on Xbox.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 13, 2011
    Totally conventional, corridor straight mech-shooter surprises with many twists and monumental boss fights. Mech modularity adds a strategic touch to otherwise plain playability. [Issue#197]