7.7

1. Jul 19, 2011
    Frozen Synapse is an advanced TBS game. I've had a lot of fun with it, even though I pretty much sucks at it. The whole idea is very unique, though there's a lot of TBS's out there, Frozen Synapse might be one of the best. I love that a game could go on for months because the way you can leave the game at any turn, and your opponent will be okay with it. He can just go ahead and start aFrozen Synapse is an advanced TBS game. I've had a lot of fun with it, even though I pretty much sucks at it. The whole idea is very unique, though there's a lot of TBS's out there, Frozen Synapse might be one of the best. I love that a game could go on for months because the way you can leave the game at any turn, and your opponent will be okay with it. He can just go ahead and start a new game with someone else in the meantime. I got like 7 games running at the same time.
    The soundtrack is a total blast too!
  2. Aug 21, 2011
    has the POTENTIAL to be a good game - it's a good game ENGINE. Just not a good game. No variety, no reason to continue playing. Just the same thing over and over again. Really did not care for it.
    O. And the graphics are TERRIBLE! Like, 1986 terrible.
  3. Dec 25, 2011
    The game is ok, but the AI is what really disappoints me since that is the main ingredient to play this game. It's not about controlling things entirely yourself. I got bored of the tutorial, and decided to move on to the campaign, I know what I'm doing. But when I reached the hostage mission its impossible to complete it. Thanks to the overpowered sniper, that is basically an aimbotThe game is ok, but the AI is what really disappoints me since that is the main ingredient to play this game. It's not about controlling things entirely yourself. I got bored of the tutorial, and decided to move on to the campaign, I know what I'm doing. But when I reached the hostage mission its impossible to complete it. Thanks to the overpowered sniper, that is basically an aimbot because he always detects my soldier when I attempt to kill him. So, this game could had been really good if they improved the AI; I also think they ripped off the theme of DEFCON and Uplink Expand
  4. Jun 10, 2011
    Highly addictive and fun to play. There is a small and steep learning curve, all of twenty minutes long. Once you learn how to play and move around the maps the fun begins! I jumped into a couple weeks after the release and feel I can play well against the more experienced players. If you like games of strategy and high-octane action suspense, this one is for you.
  5. Aug 10, 2011
    Frozen Synapse is a great little turn-based strategy game, but before you eagerly click the "buy" button, know a few things:

-It's targeted to a niche slow-paced strategy crowd, so if you prefer fast-paced RTS games or twitchy shooters, you may want to pass on this one. -The AI is hard as balls and is almost psychic. It takes a lot of PATIENCE to beat the campaign. You can't just pray that the AI won't make a certain move- you need to position your units such that the AI will be forced into a loss. That being said, it makes winning all the more satisfying =]

-I couldn't really understand the storyline. It's probably just me. Maybe you have to play it a few times, but it involves a lot of strange names that are hard to keep track of.

-The main reason I gave it an 8/10 is because there are a lot of bugs and frequent crashes. The final mission bugged out on me so I had to watch the ending on Youtube. This is rather frustrating.

If you're cool with all that, then you really can't go wrong for the price.
  6. Jun 7, 2011
    WOW! What a game. I wonder why it's taken so long to create a game like this? Anyway, the concept is simple, you make moves at the same time as your opponent and your goal is to pre-empt them. The controls are simple, the UI futuristic, soundtrack is worthy of an album and gameplay is up there with the best. It's war-chess and I love it.
  7. Mar 7, 2012
    Think of Frozen Synapse like playing chess with military soldiers, but the board changes each time you play. I love to play chess so that is probably the reason I like this game. There's an intricate amount of detail underneath its simplicity. This is turn-based strategy done right.
  8. May 30, 2011
    I can't say how newcomers to the genre will experience this, but as a lover of turn-based tactical squad command games since UFO: Enemy Unknown, I can't say enough good stuff about this gem.

The mechanics are simple and deep. Just like in the game of chess, it takes very little time to learn what your units can do, and a lifetime to enjoy leveraging them in battle against other tacticians.

I'm sure there are folks who simply won't get it, since there are no screams of agony, no explosions, no screen shake and no sex scenes supporting an agonizing romantic subplot. I don't think the genre has ever appealed to everyone. But I'm thrilled to see the size of the active player base already. Clearly, we are not alone.

I'm scoring the game 8/10, leaving room for improvement in a few polish issues. Little things that really don't detract from the core game experience. For example, the in-game IRC window can't be dragged to a preferred location on screen, and can't be configured to suppress JOINs and PARTs.

Be aware that, as of 4 days since the official release, they've been having trouble with the multiplayer game servers, because they didn't expect the enormous uptake. But having chatted to the developers, I'm confident that the teething issues will be resolved soon.
  9. Jun 16, 2011
    Fantastically Original! This game is not for everyone, but it is without a doubt original. The game is incredibly fun and addicting, because it maintains a thought provoking gameplay. Frozen Synapse is based around controlling a squad of men while guessing your opponents moves. It test both your tactical skills, and you social engineering knowledge. It is clearly one of the most originalFantastically Original! This game is not for everyone, but it is without a doubt original. The game is incredibly fun and addicting, because it maintains a thought provoking gameplay. Frozen Synapse is based around controlling a squad of men while guessing your opponents moves. It test both your tactical skills, and you social engineering knowledge. It is clearly one of the most original games in years, and is a will satisfy anyone who wants to give it a try. Expand
  10. Jun 17, 2011
    This is an awesome tactical game. The only thing I find annoying about it is that I've yet to find a full list of hot-keys for the different commands. I've discovered most on my own but there are still some commands I can't issue without right-clicking. It's disappointing because otherwise the game is well polished.
  11. May 29, 2011
    Awesome game. I love the tactical aspects. Dont expect fast gameplay, its more about planing the best moves... a bit like chess. The singleplayer is challanging and fun and the multiplayer even more with a lots of features like rankings, stats, socialmedia integration (Youtube uploads, Facebook, Twitter), integrated IRC client. The devs seem to be realy active, they answer in IRC chat andAwesome game. I love the tactical aspects. Dont expect fast gameplay, its more about planing the best moves... a bit like chess. The singleplayer is challanging and fun and the multiplayer even more with a lots of features like rankings, stats, socialmedia integration (Youtube uploads, Facebook, Twitter), integrated IRC client. The devs seem to be realy active, they answer in IRC chat and listen to the wishes of the community. Long live "Frozen Synapse"! Expand
  12. May 31, 2011
    Like chess, it's fairly easy to learn, but impossible to master. The gameplay is fun and rewarding and has a clean style. Planning out your moves to be executed simultaneously with the opponent can lead to amusing clashes. The only thing I feel it lacks is COOP vs AI and team battles, which they say they are working on. On a side note, the soundtrack is great.
  13. Jun 5, 2011
    Great game. Once you get out of gray zone of understanding underlaying rules it becomes great pleasure to play. Levels are randomly generated and no matter how well you play there is always a factor of surprise as turns are completely simultaneous and you can only guess what your opponent might do. During planning, it is possible to even control images of enemy units and observe differentGreat game. Once you get out of gray zone of understanding underlaying rules it becomes great pleasure to play. Levels are randomly generated and no matter how well you play there is always a factor of surprise as turns are completely simultaneous and you can only guess what your opponent might do. During planning, it is possible to even control images of enemy units and observe different outcomes depending on what the other side might do. There are 5 types of units, each having its own strengths. Shotgunner moves fast and owns everyone in close range. Machine gunner moves at normal speed, has long range and heavily benefits from cover. Grenadier has ability to toss grenades directly or bounce them on the walls. Rocket soldier is the only unit able to destroy walls (killing everyone in small radius). Finally, sniper is incredibly balanced. It has its place and is very useful but not overpowered. When two equal units meet head to head, their orientation, previous movement and relation to covers decides who will win. Frozen synapse's rules are deterministic. I am giving 9 just because rules IMO are not sufficiently well explained in the game and graphics could be a bit more complex. Bare game-play is pure 10. Expand
  14. Jun 2, 2011
    This game is absolutly brilliant !!! Even though it envolves alot of thinkinh and strategy it is at the same time so much intense and fun packed !! Just buy it really ... enough said
  15. Jan 22, 2012
    I've played it, passed few maps, did what seemed to be correct and failed. Failing itself isn't that frustrating (it's part of every game) but the loading times between each part of the decision making process... I don't have time for such a thing! Idea seems good and the art direction is recognizable but entry barrier is too high. Sorry.
  16. Jun 16, 2011
    Playerbase: Great
    Gameplay: Great
    Strategy: Great
    Pricing: Not so great

Other than that I must say I really enjoyed this game, although I don't feel as it's worth $25
  17. Nov 28, 2011
    Im after 9 hours of gameplay and i can only say - amazing tactical game! First minutes were pretty hard, you can easily get discouraged... Controls does not seem clear, but when you get hang of it - it becomes easy and intuitive. Gameplay is tactical driven, but you'll mostly find rock-paper-scissors mechanics here. In every mission you will take control of soldiers, in random generatedIm after 9 hours of gameplay and i can only say - amazing tactical game! First minutes were pretty hard, you can easily get discouraged... Controls does not seem clear, but when you get hang of it - it becomes easy and intuitive. Gameplay is tactical driven, but you'll mostly find rock-paper-scissors mechanics here. In every mission you will take control of soldiers, in random generated scenery. There's always an objective, but nothing will surprise you - attack, defend, take hostage, rescue hostage.. and so on. In most situations you'll have limited turns to complete you task, so no messing around. Gameplay involves planning phase, when you give orders... then you can test your plan and finally - execute it. The other side is doing the same thing so you need to think ahead of your opponent. So where's the rock-paper-scissors mechanics? Your team operate in simple ways - soldier in cover always beats exposed unit, shotgun wins with everyone in close quarters, sniper always beats every unit in distance ( vice versa he gets killed in close quarters in a second) ... and so on and so on. You'll at least hour to get a grip of it and think about every possible situation and its outcome. Then you can really enjoy the game ! :) Single Player Campaign is about 50 (!!!) missions long... I guess im not far than 10 and it's getting seriously hard. Nevertheless, multiplayer is the most interesting feature in Frozen Synapse. Playing with live opponent is far more exciting. The mechanics allow you to participate in 5 or more matches in one time, you just conclude your turn and while waiting for other player - play another skirmish. Of course your can compete in leaderboards or even upload your replays on youtube... instantly. What else can i say? Buy it. It's great. Support indie developers. Support GOOD games. Expand
  18. May 30, 2011
    A remarkable game that just gets more fun the more you play. This review will focus on what the other reviews don't describe. To ensure constant action in this turn-based game, you can even play multiple games at the same time. You can watch replays of other games just for fun, or to learn how others play, by showing the commands they did. Contrary to single-player there are also 'dark'A remarkable game that just gets more fun the more you play. This review will focus on what the other reviews don't describe. To ensure constant action in this turn-based game, you can even play multiple games at the same time. You can watch replays of other games just for fun, or to learn how others play, by showing the commands they did. Contrary to single-player there are also 'dark' games (the most common online) where you only see the opponents when they are visible to your squad. The commands at first seem a bit intimidating, but you soon realize it is nothing more telling each guy what he will do for the next five seconds:run, move, aim move aiming (as in walk one way while aiming in another direction), shoot rocket, throw grenade (bounce off walls), duck, stand, and wait. Opponent taking too long? Play another game simultaneously and switch back and forth. No time to finish now? Being turn-based this means you can just come back, play a turn, and if your opponent is not there, he will do the same until the game is played out. It IS turn-based after all. Nice community and a fun game that really grows on you (even when you lose). And I'm only about 50-50 online at the moment so this is not being written by that guy who is wiping everyone out, trying to convince you to be more fodder. Expand
  19. May 30, 2011
    Yep.. Its great.. Buy it.. What more can i say? Oh well, the community is great and even when i'm losing, and it happens a lot, they encourage you and give tips how to avoid similar situations. And the thrill of pressing that commit button and waiting to see if your tricky plan worked is intense. Had a really hard time sleeping last night because i was rethinking my strategy and plans.
    Buy
    Buy it or just try it.. If you ever loved tactical games you will love this one
  20. May 31, 2011
    This game rocks! It's clean and easy to learn, but there are constantly new tricks to learn - even after the many games I've played. The game features perfection like I haven't seen from an indie game in many years. But just as a warning: this game is very addictive :)
  21. May 31, 2011
    Really nice tactical turn based game. Combination of chess and Defcon set in the Introversion world. Easy to learn how to play and very rewarding. Online and offline play. Nice community too!
  22. May 31, 2011
    Amazing, tactical shooter. Totally worth $20, plus you get one for a friend. I must say, the loading screen after you finish a turn has to be one of the most tense things ever! Buy it if you want a very strategic, rich experience. If you lose, you can learn from your mistakes by watching all your matches (and other peoples', too). It can probably last you at least until the end of theAmazing, tactical shooter. Totally worth $20, plus you get one for a friend. I must say, the loading screen after you finish a turn has to be one of the most tense things ever! Buy it if you want a very strategic, rich experience. If you lose, you can learn from your mistakes by watching all your matches (and other peoples', too). It can probably last you at least until the end of the year, because the more you play, the better you'll get (obviously) and you go against people on the same level in multiplayer, although the single player instant action mode features complete control over the match, and the AI is very intuitive. As of yet, I have not tried campaign, although I very much intend to. Expand
  23. Jun 4, 2011
    I am giving this game a 10. Is it perfect - perhaps not - but I cannot remember the last time I had this much fun with a PC game!

Go out and get this now - this is a steal at the price!

Gotta get back to playing now! See you on the Grid!
  24. Jun 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Frozen synapse has an awesome name by the way, but this game is starcraft 2, without aliens and put into a turn based game. This is RAW TACTICS, NO LUCK, RAW TACTICS. No idiots are aloud near this game. This game is for people who are smart, because this is a hard game to learn. But its good when you have learned the game. There is over 45 missions in the campaign and its got a half descent story line. But the main focus is the multiplayer. You are able to play loads of matches at once. Mabey over a thew minutes, or going over a thew days. You need to buy this game, its good, a great game! Expand
  25. Jun 18, 2011
    Overall this game idea is quite original, the style however seems quite Defcon-like to me. There are a few things that bug me about this game, first is the music seems to be rather repetitive, the second is the fact in single player after you get past the newbie missions the AI seems to psychically know where your guys are. Psychic AI is a bad idea, it makes AI appear to be smarter than itOverall this game idea is quite original, the style however seems quite Defcon-like to me. There are a few things that bug me about this game, first is the music seems to be rather repetitive, the second is the fact in single player after you get past the newbie missions the AI seems to psychically know where your guys are. Psychic AI is a bad idea, it makes AI appear to be smarter than it is, I put 1 guy in the corner on his own and didn't move him for 10 turns, instantly after the other guys were eliminated, all the enemies flocked his position, he was completely out of sight in a corner with his back to them, they didn't vet out any of the other rooms that had not been occupied. I like to play strategy games but ones that are not reliant on an active user-base (I think of Defcon again because it's pretty much a dead community now), so a decent single-player is essential. I like reactive AI instead of AI that knows where all your units are and just employs strategy to fool you into thinking it doesn't. It needs to experiment with techniques during a game and learn from it's mistakes. Sure if you give away your position with gunfire or fast movement, you could expect an enemy to know where you are, but this is just ridiculous!
    6/10 for the psychic AI but 7/10 otherwise.
  26. Jun 20, 2011
    A solid tactical indie game made by tactical geeks for geeks. If you enjoyed Rainbow 6's tactical pre-mission planning, like I did, you should check this game out.
    Strong: Predicting an opponent's move gives you a huge advantage and positioning is king, both good things to see in a tactics heavy game.
    Moderate: You are exploiting AI predictability sometimes. The mission scoring system makes no sense to me.
    Weak: Story, writing, characters, and replayability. Final note: There are no high level strategic elements in this game, which is strange as squad armament decisions would have fit perfectly.
  27. Jul 1, 2011
    Simply fantastic. Solid tactical gameplay, and the multiplayer implementation is flawless - it's pretty much all the advantages of PBEM with none of its issues.
  28. Aug 14, 2011
    Very addicting game. If you want a strategy game which emphasizes the word "strategy" then pick this. If you lack the knowledge and capacity to realize this game is like a game of chess, and trying to determine your opponents movement patterns to outsmart them like Shinigurai who gave this game a 1 (since you cant skip the tutorial or he cant outsmart the AI he gives it a 1, pro tip thereVery addicting game. If you want a strategy game which emphasizes the word "strategy" then pick this. If you lack the knowledge and capacity to realize this game is like a game of chess, and trying to determine your opponents movement patterns to outsmart them like Shinigurai who gave this game a 1 (since you cant skip the tutorial or he cant outsmart the AI he gives it a 1, pro tip there Shini, its a tutorial you're not usually supposed to skip those things, its there to teach you). I played the demo for 20 minutes and beat a few skirmishes, enjoyed the ambient music and decided hey I get a free copy with this game once I buy it too? Sweet. Gift for a friend. This game is meant to exercise the brain. Its like that Sudoku but with guns, and instead of numbers you have infantry. It is very addicting and I have a hard time putting it down. Pick this up. Expand
  29. Jul 4, 2011
    An absolute failure right out of the gate. The flaws in this game were so many and so immediately apparent that after 20 minutes of "play" I needed a break. For starters, the user can't customize the controls. This may not be a huge concession for most players, but in the year 2011 it astonishes me that developers still can't grasp the most basic of needs. It isn't hard to programAn absolute failure right out of the gate. The flaws in this game were so many and so immediately apparent that after 20 minutes of "play" I needed a break. For starters, the user can't customize the controls. This may not be a huge concession for most players, but in the year 2011 it astonishes me that developers still can't grasp the most basic of needs. It isn't hard to program customizable controls and almost every user will want to change at least one aspect of a control scheme. In a complicated strategy game the last thing a user should have to do is hunt for the proper key. Not to mention the fact that there is no reference for the control scheme, which brings me to my next point. The tutorial system is horrible. Not only does it baby the user with overly simplified instructions, it goes so far as to assume that the user is a moron and needs to be told that "doubling clicking" means "to click the mouse button twice in rapid succession." The worst part? You can't skip ANY parts of the tutorial. It isn't broken down by chapters or subjects and there is no way to skip forward or backward. You have to do everything step-by-step and if you want to review something you just did you have to start the entire tutorial over. This includes trying to figure out the how the computer interprets your commands. Trying to make the AI do one specific thing? Run through the entire tutorial and pay extremely close attention, because if you miss it you'll be doing it all over again. Finally, there's the AI. Absolutely horrible. No matter what you do your team will never spot the enemy first. In fact the enemy AI will often avoid your line of sight as if by some magical psychic power. Set up the perfect trap? The enemy will never go near that section of the map. What's worse, the game starts you out with short range guns. Good luck trying to get within the required twenty feet to actually shoot at an enemy. This game is frustration incarnate. I will admit that the premiss behind the game is fantastic. However the execution is so poor that the most fun you'll have with this game is uninstalling it while you scream at your monitor. Don't waste your time or your money. Expand
  30. Jul 6, 2011
    The computer cheats! Played this game for 2 hours and couldn't beat the first map. If you don't move your guys the computer won't go near them. If you do move them the computer will flank them in the same turn. You never stand a chance. Most frustrating game ever! Wish I never bought this game. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

1. Oct 19, 2011
    A fast-paced tactical game that is easy to approach but has depth in spades when you dig into it. The mix of randomness and determinism isn't quite optimal, but the end result is mostly excellent. Despite some lacklustre storytelling, even the single player side provides hours and hours of quality gaming. A cult classic. [Aug 2011]
  2. Sep 9, 2011
    Pure strategy, complex but solid controls and an irresistible multiplayer make Frozen Synapse a surprise hit. It's not a beautiful looking game, but ignore the basic presentation, because this is a game everyone should try at least once.
  3. Aug 14, 2011
    Frozen Synapse is no rival to full-fledged tactical strategy games, but it's an ideal time-killer for a lunch break.