FTL: Faster Than Light PC

8.4

1. Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon Trail in space. Movement takes place over a turn based star system map while combat is real-time with cooldowns for weapons and power management to juggle. My biggest complaint is how ridiculously hard "Normal" difficulty is. Many times you will be doing better than expected and then one errant missile knocks out a key system and your ship loses half health (or worse) in one battle.Oregon Trail in space. Movement takes place over a turn based star system map while combat is real-time with cooldowns for weapons and power management to juggle. My biggest complaint is how ridiculously hard "Normal" difficulty is. Many times you will be doing better than expected and then one errant missile knocks out a key system and your ship loses half health (or worse) in one battle. Navigation is also frustrating with the rebel fleet pursuing you, narrowing down your exploring to a zig-zag through each sector. If you manage to the last boss you should be able to beat it no problem. Overall this is a good-looking space sim with solid tactical gameplay and if you can overlook the random luck-based difficulty then it's worth picking up. Expand
  2. Aug 2, 2013
    Be warned right away this is a Rogue Type of Game, and you cannot load a save if you die! That said the game is pretty cool. Enjoyed it a lot: there is a development element you hook up you ship, but and sell weapons and augmentations, upgrade systems, etc., your crew also gets experience for performing tasks. There is also the Combat element you battle other ships, loot them, orBe warned right away this is a Rogue Type of Game, and you cannot load a save if you die! That said the game is pretty cool. Enjoyed it a lot: there is a development element you hook up you ship, but and sell weapons and augmentations, upgrade systems, etc., your crew also gets experience for performing tasks. There is also the Combat element you battle other ships, loot them, or run away screaming (since, like i mentioned there are loads!). Then, there is the exploring element you explore the galaxy, pressed by the hostile Rebels, who pursue you throughout sectors; random events spice up the game, and so no. One drawback is that the game is hard even on Easy setting it will take quite a few passes to complete. And the Normal Setting is absurd. I wish the difficulty would be better balanced. Yet again this is a rogue game Overall had a lot of fun with this one! Expand
  3. Nov 13, 2013
    THE..... BEST.... ROGUELIKE.... EVER.... BAR.... NONE.... Amazingly well thought out game where you command a spaceship and given the way roguelikes work it doesn't appear to suffer from feeling horribly repetitive unlike the lions share of this genre.
  4. Oct 19, 2012
    I admit that at first glance, I didn't really have much interest for the game. But, I noticed alot of people were praising its unique gameplay. I started to sort of want it after that. I got it as a gift and so I started playing. First of all, the graphics are beautiful and represent this kind of game quite nicely. After I learned how to use strategy to progress through the game, it was aI admit that at first glance, I didn't really have much interest for the game. But, I noticed alot of people were praising its unique gameplay. I started to sort of want it after that. I got it as a gift and so I started playing. First of all, the graphics are beautiful and represent this kind of game quite nicely. After I learned how to use strategy to progress through the game, it was a real swell time after that. The game includes various intriguing situations such as enemy hostiles, helping civilians, trade, exploring, and all sorts of things you would expect if we lived in a Sci-Fi world where we travel the galaxy. If you are a big fan of simulators, and space exploration, then FTL is sure to delight. In the end, I give it a 9/10. Expand
  5. Mar 22, 2013
    The randomness factor can prove frustrating, but it also adds to the re-playability Completion in the hardest difficulty is very satisfying. A simplel, solid game with very nice effects, sound design, and a cool soundtrack.
  6. Feb 4, 2013
    A game with a simple premise: survive long enough so you can get your little spaceship from one side of the galaxy to the other. Overcoming the many obstacles along the way is difficult and may be ultimately too frustrating for some gamers but if you acknowledge the fact you're meant to lose, it's easy to get yourself immersed in this retro-styled starship management game. To sweeten theA game with a simple premise: survive long enough so you can get your little spaceship from one side of the galaxy to the other. Overcoming the many obstacles along the way is difficult and may be ultimately too frustrating for some gamers but if you acknowledge the fact you're meant to lose, it's easy to get yourself immersed in this retro-styled starship management game. To sweeten the pot, each time you play the map it's procedurally generated and the game is also super cheap. Expand
  7. Jun 10, 2014
    Para mí la gran aventura espacial de los últimos años, las mecánicas son interesantes y te obliga a la rejugabilidad ya que castiga pero pica. Interesante aunque corto, una experiencia de juego recomendable.
  8. Aug 24, 2013
    While I agree with all the negative comments, I think the red score guys are giving up too fast rather than getting serious and trying harder. YES you will fail most play-through attempts, but it isn't futile. The whole point of the game is to find and unlock the various ship builds and to learn which weapons are useful in the endgame. You can't do this with 2-3 failed runs. You need toWhile I agree with all the negative comments, I think the red score guys are giving up too fast rather than getting serious and trying harder. YES you will fail most play-through attempts, but it isn't futile. The whole point of the game is to find and unlock the various ship builds and to learn which weapons are useful in the endgame. You can't do this with 2-3 failed runs. You need to do MORE failed runs and keep learning. Then, when you understand what you need, you go for the win. And obviously it isn't so hard after all, once you have unlocks, once you understand. A single play-though takes about four hours. But of course you can quit before then or restart if you mess up. The game is fine. It is what it says it would be.

9. Sep 18, 2013
    A decent fun game with an average game duration of about an hour, very addictive for a couple days. Also very hard, out of a over a dozen attempts I managed to win once using a stealth cruiser.
  10. Sep 13, 2013
    FTL is proof that gameplay--not graphics--make a game fun. A reasonably-priced indie gem, FTL offers surprising depth in a little package. It is a "rogue-like" game, and that has some pros and cons (brutal difficulty at times due to randomness and permanent death, but a level of satisfaction upon winning that feels like an accomplishment). I eagerly look forward to an even deeper sequelFTL is proof that gameplay--not graphics--make a game fun. A reasonably-priced indie gem, FTL offers surprising depth in a little package. It is a "rogue-like" game, and that has some pros and cons (brutal difficulty at times due to randomness and permanent death, but a level of satisfaction upon winning that feels like an accomplishment). I eagerly look forward to an even deeper sequel (let us hope!). Expand
  11. Dec 23, 2012
    A very simple game with very simple graphics, yet very addictive! The strategy is extremely well balanced and the progress in succeeding in the game is constant. So, the pleasure is always renewed, the replay value is big and the potentials are vast. This is a magic game that is at the opposite of any gaming hypes but is tremendously well done. Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! One of the best gamesA very simple game with very simple graphics, yet very addictive! The strategy is extremely well balanced and the progress in succeeding in the game is constant. So, the pleasure is always renewed, the replay value is big and the potentials are vast. This is a magic game that is at the opposite of any gaming hypes but is tremendously well done. Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! One of the best games I've ever played in my 30 year gaming experience. Expand
  12. Dec 16, 2012
    FTL is a very strategic spaceship simulator, where you must survive a harrowing trek across the galaxy with an army chasing you down. You have to decide how to configure your ship with what's available, and make tough mid-battle decisions that could mean life or death. And in this game, death is permanent.

This is one of those indie games that gets everything right. The gameplay is lots of fun. It's not hard to learn the basics, but winning is incredibly hard, even on Easy. Luck plays a big part, but skill can offset bad luck. There are lots of ship configurations, and with each, a new way to play. The music is very good, and fitting. The pixel art is beautiful. Controls are fairly easy to use.

I found myself playing this game over and over until finally getting my first win on easy on the 20th try. This game is definitely worth getting, and for strategy fans, it's a must-buy. The soundtrack is also worth the money.
  13. Sep 17, 2012
    Brutally difficult. If you dislike game over screens, this is not the game for you. You will die, a lot. Sometimes it won't seem fair. Other times everything comes together just right and it's the greatest feeling in the world. The mechanics work really well here and if you like a challenge you owe it to yourself to pick this one up.
  14. Mar 23, 2014
    For those among us who enjoy pain and suffering, sci fi themed tactical games with a bit of RP elements thrown in, FTL is an ideal game. A constant barrage of bad luck and impossible situations means you`re likely to spend a lot of time restarting the game, cursing loudly to the annoyance of family members or even crying.
    This skillfully constructed tool for selling more nerve medication
    This skillfully constructed tool for selling more nerve medication will include things like hitting your weapons 1 second after you enter stealth mode to reload your weapon in safety, forcing you to spend stealth putting out fires instead of reloading, which means you`ll be reloading later when the enemy is firing on you. Or killing off your crew with random events and not generating any way to shanghai more crew, leading to death by abandoned ship. Or it may refuse to provide you with a suitable weapon upgrade for level after level, until you can`t break the shields of any enemy and die. Once in a while it will even make dead ends for you, forcing you right back into the pursuing fleet which is what provides the time pressure in the game, preventing free exploration.
    And I could list about 20 similar conspiracies hatched by the makers of FTL without effort; all with the express purpose of driving me insane. Having said this you might think the game is no fun. But it is! Unlocking ships, finding rare events and quests and the interminable difficulty of getting your ship to the last zone in an appropriate condition to fight the last battle is irresistible to all roguelike fans and should not be missed. Although much of the game is random, practice does make things easier to a certain extent. Things like venting the ship into space to deal with boarders while putting all your crew in the medbay for example has apparently not occurred to many of the negative reviewers here. But this simple response makes it easy to deal with boarding parties, and fires from solar activity I might add, since the enemy cannot beam back to the other ship because there is a CD and are forced to fight in your medbay where they will die every time.
    Obviously the easily frustrated should perhaps look elsewhere. Unless you understand the genre concepts of randomness and perma death, and like them, you will not have much fun. For the rest of us though we can only hope that a sequel will appear at some point in the future. Until then, FTL will have to do:)
  15. Nov 21, 2014
    I originally wrote a very negative review of this game here upon release, and I still feel today that the review was both accurate and well deserved. At release this game was a tease -- offering promise but not delivering on any of it. Maddeningly simple combat mechanics, limited RNG for everything especially encounters, narrow options for progression and unlocking, and little freedom ofI originally wrote a very negative review of this game here upon release, and I still feel today that the review was both accurate and well deserved. At release this game was a tease -- offering promise but not delivering on any of it. Maddeningly simple combat mechanics, limited RNG for everything especially encounters, narrow options for progression and unlocking, and little freedom of strategic gameplay if you wanted any measure of success in the late game made it a huge headache for a lot of old pc gamers like myself. We wanted to love it -- we simply could not.

Time has addressed most of my complaints, and I definitely love FTL today. Or perhaps to be more precise: Patches, the Advanced Edition version of the game, the Captain's Edition mod, Captain's Edition's addons, and several other key mods have addressed most of my complaints, and this combination is now what I love today -- not the game "FTL - Advanced Edition", but the gestalt that the community has created through modification. Finally, FINALLY, the game is what it should have been at release.

First of all, FTL+AE+CE+mods is just randomly, spontaneously fun now, even when you fail, and without removing the rogue-like level of difficulty. The game is still very difficult, even incredibly so, but largely through strategy and choices rather than arbitrary "haha you died" RNG events that took no account of what had been done in that particular game up to that point. You can still get crippled or killed in RNG events, but they're MUCH less arbitrary and annoying than they were in the original release, and as you get stronger you will actually feel the power increase and be able to handle situations that previously you thought were impossible (and in the original game, 999 times out of 1000, WERE impossible).

FTL+AE+CE is also more refined everywhere you look, with mistakes fixed, crashes addressed, and details improved, even moreso when you start piling on the mods. There are many more mods that I haven't even mentioned in this review (such as Better Planets and Backgrounds) that improve FTL tremendously, and you can (largely) mix and match the ones you want to get the experience that you want.

Another important point: with mods the game now has a much more expansive universe, with a lot more to see, do, and discover. Now each new new game genuinely feels much more random, spontaneous, and alive. It took me over 3 complete playthroughs (that ended in winning the game -- a death is not a playthrough, and I had many of those) to actually see all of the RNG events. This is well over 200 hours of playtime alone, and I still haven't seen all the possible outcomes/choices, just the actual events themselves. The choices and strategic options you have now, from crew composition all the way down to roleplaying the metagame in RNG events, are so much more expanded that comparisons with the original game are hardly even valid anymore.

In summary, the original release of FTL was promising, and with a lot of great ideas (and trance loops), it just wasn't a good game. FTL Advanced Edition + Captain's Edition + CE addons + your choice of further modding is INDEED the great game that FTL should have been. It's a pity that the mod community had to make FTL into a properly fun computer game, but I'm just glad that the community did it. If I could, I'd pay them instead of the developer, because they took something lacking structure, polish, features, depth, and overall quality, and made it simply fantastic. Thanks guys! You are one of the many reasons that PC will always be the #1 gaming platform.

One last thing: Buy this game on GOG and support the DRM-free Revolution. I did.
  16. Aug 25, 2013
    a very enjoyable game. it isn't too difficult in the beginning and gradually gets harder... WAY harder. most rogue like games forget to use a easier beginning to draw you in before smashing you to pieces. his game however does a great job of tricking you into thinking "my ship is great i'll beat it this time!". i like the soundtrack. the images in the background are repeated a bit tooa very enjoyable game. it isn't too difficult in the beginning and gradually gets harder... WAY harder. most rogue like games forget to use a easier beginning to draw you in before smashing you to pieces. his game however does a great job of tricking you into thinking "my ship is great i'll beat it this time!". i like the soundtrack. the images in the background are repeated a bit too often, but it's not that big of a deal. anyway one of the better rogue like games i have ever played. Expand
  17. May 31, 2014
    Great indie game, I played it for like 20+ hours and had a lot of fun with it.
    Crew and ship management which are the main parts of the game are very well designed and satisfying. The various encounters and quests are varied and well-written adding surprising level of immersion to the game.
    Great indie game, I played it for like 20+ hours and had a lot of fun with it.
    It's rouge-like nature can be a flaw sometimes. Sometimes even if you are a very good player you lose no matter what, for example you spec your ship into drones, and you find only 1 combat drone through entire campaign failing miserably. Sometimes it also can be too easy, it really depends more on luck than skill.
    The graphics are kinda cartoonish but this is okay in an indie game, though better graphics would make this game way more amazing.
    The music is epic, I listened to it outside of the game more than I played it I think, really immersive, you can find in on youtube and see if it suits your style.
    During the game you unlock new ships and new ships layouts which gives it a lot of replay ability. Single campaign will take you only a couple hours to complete, but it's not a problem thanks to it's rouge-like nature.
    What else...technically it's almost perfect as I did not encounter any major glitches or crashes.
    Also it's modable. There are a lot of good mods out there, mostly adding new ships but also total overhauls worth checking out.

For it's very low price I can't give it any less than 8/10. It's one of the best indie games out there.
  18. May 17, 2014
    Simply excellent game. If you like beautiful indie, this game is for you! FTL combines music that sticks to the game with a beautiful décor, and all this with a most excellent gameplay. This game deserves its rating, its price, it is a very good quality, although a multiplayer mode is expected by the players!
  19. Jun 25, 2013
    I'm so surprised as to how awesome this game is. It has huge replay value, a deep element of strategy throughout and it really made you feel in control of your own spaceship. The art style is simple and the UI, after some getting used to, feels as if everything is where it should be. People seem to complain about the randomness and that the game is too based on luck, but I disagree. MostI'm so surprised as to how awesome this game is. It has huge replay value, a deep element of strategy throughout and it really made you feel in control of your own spaceship. The art style is simple and the UI, after some getting used to, feels as if everything is where it should be. People seem to complain about the randomness and that the game is too based on luck, but I disagree. Most of the time, it is YOUR fault that you fail and though the randomness may end up screwing you over, I see it as learning to make do with what you are given and in fact, this is outweighed by how much good luck you get in the game (like just being given a weapon for no reason). Overall, this game is a ton of fun and though it is very challenging, should be at least tried by everyone. Expand
  20. Jul 21, 2014
    FTL is a Rogue-like Sci-Fi adventure places you in the Captains chair of a Star Ship managing both crew and ship systems while trying to survive the odds. FTL has substance & style with its 2D aesthetic style, various aliens races & ships and tactical depth makes FTL fun and addictive and a worthy purchase especially on the Steam sales, with the added bonus of benefiting from some decent mods.
  21. Nov 8, 2013
    If you get easily frustrated, do not play this game. You very well may punch your monitor.

As other reviews have said, it's a RTS ship management rogue-like game. Chances are, you're going to die. You may even do everything perfectly and still die. The random elements get frustrating, but it's kinda like poker. You make the best of your hands whether it's good or bad. You play a good

The random elements get frustrating, but it's kinda like poker. You make the best of your hands whether it's good or bad. You play a good hand badly, you're gonna die. You play a bad hand good, well you still might die, but you'll give it a helluva fight before you do.

It's challenging and unique, haven't played a game quite like this one which is always a plus when the market is so full of stale copies of one another.

If you like challenges, like management, and can tolerate some WTF moments, you'll enjoy this game.
  22. Oct 4, 2013
    This was a huge surprise to me when I first played this game. Faster Tan Light was never boring, there were so many adventures I had that my friends didn't have. Each time you board your ship a whole new adventure is about to began. I was always nervous to go through the purple clouds that were almost always in my way, regardless of that this game was pretty challenging but in the bestThis was a huge surprise to me when I first played this game. Faster Tan Light was never boring, there were so many adventures I had that my friends didn't have. Each time you board your ship a whole new adventure is about to began. I was always nervous to go through the purple clouds that were almost always in my way, regardless of that this game was pretty challenging but in the best way. I never fought a death because they are always justified. If my ship blow up it was because I used to much power on my weapons and not enough on my shields. Maybe I was trying to save up for a cool weapon and I choice not to fix my ship and ran into a pirate ship. I always caused my own death and because of that I never raged over this game. FTL was so simple yet technical, the upgrades were very useful and none of them were money pits. The idea of having other alien species is really cool and I could never get all of them on my ship at once. In the end I couldn't ask for a better experience, the only issue I have is that there are the same quest and enemies no matter what, if there were more options It would be a nine out of ten but the squeal will get that score. This however is still pretty great and a solid eight out of ten is more than enough for one of the best game I played this year. Expand
  23. Jan 24, 2013
    I played rogue as a kid, and I really enjoy crawling my way through random dungeon after random dungeon, with no two playthroughs being quite the same. FTL brings back that same feeling, only in outer space, in really cool space ships. The game mechanics are top notch, with lots of depth, but also a fun and intuitive general approach. As a final point, I'll mention that the difficultyI played rogue as a kid, and I really enjoy crawling my way through random dungeon after random dungeon, with no two playthroughs being quite the same. FTL brings back that same feeling, only in outer space, in really cool space ships. The game mechanics are top notch, with lots of depth, but also a fun and intuitive general approach. As a final point, I'll mention that the difficulty level found here is very high, which is a bit refreshing in today's gaming market, but unfortunately, a lot of the difficulty factor is simply luck based. I guess that's a bit unavoidable with randomized maps / encounters, but it does make the game a bit annoying at times. Expand
  24. May 28, 2014
    I like it a lot. It could use a little more depth (I haven't tried to the expansion though), seems like mostly you just try to keep their weapons disabled and the AI is pretty basic.

But I had a whole lot of fun with this.

Though losing a crewman in your first encounter in the first zone is kind of completely ****
  25. Jan 11, 2013
    It seems people do not remember the old rogue like games of the past and are pretty quick to bomb this game because they got angry at their bad luck.... It is a shame really, because you can't win, with people complaining about games not being hard anymore and when one comes out, they can't handle it. Regardless, FTL is an awesome polished game with an amazing soundtrack, plenty of contentIt seems people do not remember the old rogue like games of the past and are pretty quick to bomb this game because they got angry at their bad luck.... It is a shame really, because you can't win, with people complaining about games not being hard anymore and when one comes out, they can't handle it. Regardless, FTL is an awesome polished game with an amazing soundtrack, plenty of content and proves to be a fun, addicting and difficult video game for people who can handle it. Game mechanics are stressful, but well implemented and generally enjoyable. Ship unlocks provide a long-term and difficult challenge for people who are interested in unlockables and full completion. Like any rogue-like, it is difficult, unfair in some places and heavily dependent on luck once you learn how to play. But that's a good thing, it keeps the game varied and interesting. Getting lucky is not the whole story, success will come from making the right decisions with what your luck gives you. Expand
  26. Sep 16, 2012
    I bought FTL on a whim when I saw that it involved space ship command with a tactical bent. My expectations were low - but when I got into it I was surprised to find myself really engaged and enjoying the experience. The visuals aren't that flash but the gameplay fires the imagination such that the visuals remain functional and incidental to the core experience. Different scenarios areI bought FTL on a whim when I saw that it involved space ship command with a tactical bent. My expectations were low - but when I got into it I was surprised to find myself really engaged and enjoying the experience. The visuals aren't that flash but the gameplay fires the imagination such that the visuals remain functional and incidental to the core experience. Different scenarios are presented to you as you warp into each new sector and you are required to make choices that influence where the game goes; a lot of these choices result in combat but it's refreshing to see that some do not. A lot of sci-fi games focus too much on combat but the whole star trek experience is just as much about managing crew and making decisions as it is firing the phasers. FTL is perhaps leaning toward too much combat, but it does make significant efforts to give you other things to do as well - and to good effect. The soundtrack is delightful and the sense that you are in command is palpable. On my last game it was me and Jean Luc (you can name crew members) and we made it alone to stage 4 (of 5) and had some amazing scraps and adventures along the way. We started we 3 crew members (you can recruit more along the way) but Beverly died after we were boarded and the oxygen levels in sick bay dropped to the point where she suffocated. We were really cut up about that but pressed on. It's a great little game - could perhaps have benefited from just a little more depth but as is it's heaps of fun and for the price... you can't lose. Highly recommended. Expand
  27. Oct 28, 2013
    Amazing game. Best space simulator I've played, and a ton of fun. Hours and hours of playtime to be had. It could use some more content and further expansion, because its a marvelous base. A warning, though, its a killer to people who don't like to think or who can't learn (as witnessed by the few negative comments saying "this is impossible").

It might help to watch a YouTube Let's

It might help to watch a YouTube Let's Play of it before you jump in.
  28. Dec 6, 2012
    An impressive Indie game which is very surprising: With random sectors generated with each playing, combined with an array of weapons, equipment, encounters and crew which leads along a short storyline which can be completed in several different ways; this truly is a game travelling at Faster Than Light.
  29. Sep 25, 2012
    I wouldn't say this beats out AAA games on length of play, but it's ridiculously fun for a few hours to start and then for random playthroughs here and there. I'm not a huge fan of the difficulty posed in the final boss where you might've not come across enough stuff to beat him thanks to the timer involved in each area, but that's roguelike territory for you. I wish there were moreI wouldn't say this beats out AAA games on length of play, but it's ridiculously fun for a few hours to start and then for random playthroughs here and there. I'm not a huge fan of the difficulty posed in the final boss where you might've not come across enough stuff to beat him thanks to the timer involved in each area, but that's roguelike territory for you. I wish there were more modes to where you could just explore or something, but for $9 I can understand that coming later or with mods. Expand
  30. Aug 7, 2013
    a very nice catch by steam here. This game is basically star trek as you have many different rooms and systems and at times I felt like saying to myself "move full power to the shields" and it is a lot of fun. It's somewhat a simple game, but it's done so well and in such a way that it's like playing your own little star trek game. You have a story where you have to run ahead of thea very nice catch by steam here. This game is basically star trek as you have many different rooms and systems and at times I felt like saying to myself "move full power to the shields" and it is a lot of fun. It's somewhat a simple game, but it's done so well and in such a way that it's like playing your own little star trek game. You have a story where you have to run ahead of the rebellion to pass on the message to the guys in charge to give yourself a advantage. A lot of effort and fun in this game and well worth the price. Expand
  31. Oct 2, 2012
    FTL is often referred to as a roguelike, but it's more of a strategy/roguelike hybrid. You control a spaceship and its crew, attempting to outrun a rebel fleet and deliver vital information. On the way you'll face a series of random encounters you'll have to survive, while upgrading your ship and crew as best you can with your limited resources. At first, it all seems overwhelming, evenFTL is often referred to as a roguelike, but it's more of a strategy/roguelike hybrid. You control a spaceship and its crew, attempting to outrun a rebel fleet and deliver vital information. On the way you'll face a series of random encounters you'll have to survive, while upgrading your ship and crew as best you can with your limited resources. At first, it all seems overwhelming, even on easy difficultly. It took me 12 tries before finally getting my first win, but I felt like I learned something I could use going forward with each loss. Each game only takes an hour or two, so even with permadeath, the losses aren't that punishing. There are also a number of unlockable ships and achievements to go for. Although it's not quite as deep as some other similar games, it's still a lot of fun. Expand
  32. Mar 20, 2014
    You cannot realise how funny is FTL until you really start playing it. It is just addictive, it is hard to tell yourself to quit playing and go to bed.
    The game itself seems very simple: you are in charge of micro-managing a single space ship (power, weapons, crew). It does not sound fun, does it? Well, it is! The difficulty levels are tuned perfectly, the beginner can start with easy and beat the game in a tenth of attempts, then switch to normal and,... well, the game really becomes challenging.
    Despite the fact that the technical realisation is all but awesome (seriously, a game stick to 1280x720 is not something of this millennium), it is impossible not to give this game a chance.

Of course, if you are searching for a "shoot-everything-that-moves" game, look elsewhere.
  33. Jun 18, 2013
    An amazingly addictive game. There is so much depth, so much variety, and so much risk. You really want to succeed as you continue playing, but the game ramps up difficulty to higher and higher levels. One act of hubris, or one moment of bad luck, and you'll find your ship exploding into pieces. The variety of mechanics all balance themselves out fantastically, and the game never feelsAn amazingly addictive game. There is so much depth, so much variety, and so much risk. You really want to succeed as you continue playing, but the game ramps up difficulty to higher and higher levels. One act of hubris, or one moment of bad luck, and you'll find your ship exploding into pieces. The variety of mechanics all balance themselves out fantastically, and the game never feels like it's getting dull, especially with the constant onslaught of the Rebel Army, which prods you into keeping pace and jumping into the next solar system.

I would probably write even more compliments, but my ship is in Mantis territory, and I don't want to let my crew of five down.
  34. Oct 23, 2015
    Llevar el control total de tu propia nave espacial, sin saber que te deparará el próximo destino ¿bandidos? ¿ayuda? ¿nuevas armas?¿Un enemigo capaz de volarte y tener que salir por patas? Todo esto, aunque sea en 2D y con unos gráficos "malos" Hace que te enganche. Un grandísimo juego que poco bombo se le ha dado.
  35. Mar 7, 2013
    Very simple, yet original and addictive game. If you played games in early 90's, this one will remind you a lot of these times. Earlier, people did not necessarily have to spend tons of money to write a good game, so there was more room for experiment. This game is in that spirit. And still, it doesn't feel outdated, and it's not casual-browser-game simple. It actually has a lot of varietyVery simple, yet original and addictive game. If you played games in early 90's, this one will remind you a lot of these times. Earlier, people did not necessarily have to spend tons of money to write a good game, so there was more room for experiment. This game is in that spirit. And still, it doesn't feel outdated, and it's not casual-browser-game simple. It actually has a lot of variety to offer. You basically just shoot ships, but you can do it in many ways. Not just with lasers and missiles, you can board and attack the crew, set them on fire, use attack drones, etc. Fair warning: there's no save/load, and you will die a lot. It's OK. This game is like Tetris: it's intended to be played for the process, not for the end result. Expand
  36. Jul 28, 2013
    I had to submit a new review because my first impression of the game was very wrong and I shouldn't have written a review so quickly. This game is actually very deep to the point of every item in the game having a strategic purpose. I originally thought it was very random and while it is very random there are routine strategies you can follow that can help turn the randomness in your favor.
  37. Sep 11, 2013
    One of the best hour/dollar ratios in gaming. This game is hard as balls though, not that there's anything wrong with that. As far as roguelikes go this is one of my favorites.

I love this game.
  38. Jan 22, 2013
    This is a truly excellent game with lovely artwork and an easy pick up & play style. However, it is EXTREMELY difficult. I've been playing it non-stop for weeks since I bought and still haven't beaten it on easy. The randomisation of loot/encounters is done very well so the game never feels unfair but it's still bloody difficult.
  39. Dec 22, 2012
    In a year full of original, old-school games, this is the most original, old-school game I
  40. Nov 30, 2012
    I read a lot of after-action story so I pre-ordered it. If you are a roguelike fan, this is the 10 out of 10 game for you. For others, you will find this game is about randomness and luck, yet shallow and repetitiveness. This is my first roguelike game and this game helped me firmly believe roguelike is not my cup of tea. If you are deciding whether you will enjoy roguelike, give this aI read a lot of after-action story so I pre-ordered it. If you are a roguelike fan, this is the 10 out of 10 game for you. For others, you will find this game is about randomness and luck, yet shallow and repetitiveness. This is my first roguelike game and this game helped me firmly believe roguelike is not my cup of tea. If you are deciding whether you will enjoy roguelike, give this a try; it is cheaply price anyway. I gave it 10 out of 10 because this is a good experience that I will avoid roguelike games from now on. Expand
  41. Feb 6, 2014
    Is it a perfect game? No. Some things are buggy, some things are just troll-y. Is it very good? Yes. I can't really think of a reason not to like this game, all of its flaws are easily overcome by other pros for it.
  42. Mar 7, 2013
    Well I easily sunk in over 30 hours so far, for a simple premise its so addictive. Whats more is its proof that game don't have to have major budgets and high end graphics to be compelling, intuitive and enjoyable. The price is more then reasonable for this throw-back to the 90s in terms of game play and style.
  43. Aug 21, 2013
    How can anyone give this game anything less than a 10? I will be the first to admit that this is my very first experience with a rogue-like, let alone a rogue-like RTS space sim, but I am having more fun with this Indie game than I have had with AAA titles. This is such an amazing concept and the replayability is endless.

I can't recommend this title enough. You have heard it said, "Buy

I can't recommend this title enough. You have heard it said, "Buy this if you are a fan of *insert*, or a gamer in general". Well I say, "Buy this if you are a human being". That may sound silly, but it really is that good.
  44. Mar 9, 2014
    Simply put: The Star Trek game they never made. A great little indie title with so much character and heart, it's hard not to get lost in it. It's a real challenge, but not unfair. It encourages replay like no other game I've played, and truly caters to the hardcore sci-fi fan. Worth every penny.
  45. Dec 3, 2016
    I really liked this game it was one of my favourite games of 2012.The thing i don't like about the game is each play it depends on luck but apart from that it is a masterpiece.
  46. Aug 15, 2014
    TL;DR: the "de facto" best Star Trek style spaceship commander simulator, in a "rogue-light", addictive and challenging gameplay, with undeniable charm, an impressive atmosphere, and absolutely stunning soundtrack. Multiple ships, ship systems, weapons, crew races, expanded upon with the FREE Advanced Edition, provide a variety of play styles and endless replayability.

In FTL you

In FTL you control a medium-sized spaceship and its crew carrying vital data to the Federation fleet. You are being pursued by the Rebel fleet and must stay ahead of it by doing FTL jumps between beacons of each sector and from sector to sector until you finally reach your main fleet. Problem is, it's an hostile universe out there, and you'll never know what you'll encounter on the next beacon...

In the beginning you can pick between multiple ship types (that you unlock as you play), each with different crew compliments and systems that will make for different play styles. The meat of the game plays as a strategy real-time (pausable) "rogue-light", where you control your ship and crew from a top-down view, managing which crew member mans which system (engines, shields, weapons, helm, etc) for a better performance, when and how to fire weapons and also the allocation of power to each system. Crew members of different races have different bonus: one repair systems quicker, one provide extra power to the room they're in, one are excellent fighters, one are immune to fire, etc. You won't have power for everything, and also depending what systems/weapons you have and your crew type, you have to adapt and optimize your strategy and approach to your encounters.

And you'll encounter a lot: other ships, some hostile, some friendly; there's even mini-quests and mini optional "story arcs" that you can go on. Not only that but also dangerous asteroid fields, nebulas that interfere with your shields and sensors, suns that burst out flares and set your ship on fire. The real-time battles, despite being pausable, are usually pretty tense. You'll mostly be trying to damage or disable enemy shields and damaging their systems, such as shields and weapons, until you destroy their ship. Or you can beam up a boarding party, kill everyone and take control of the ship, or you can bypass their shields by hurling missiles or beaming up bombs (limited supply of these), etc. Or you can just run for it if things are too hot. And the best thing is, the enemies can do the exact same things! Battles will damage your systems, breach your hull, ignite fires, and that's where you'll need your best managing skills to keep things under control on the heat of battle. Sometimes things just happen too fast, you were not prepared, and you're blown into oblivion and have to start from the beginning. It's an unforgiving universe... After each battle you win, you can get random upgrades but you'll mostly accumulate scrap, which can be used to upgrade your ship's system and go to stores to buy consumables (like jump fuel and missiles) or weapons and systems; or even recruit more crew members. You'll need scrap badly, but how far is it reasonable to risk potentially lethal encounters on its pursuit?

Between that and much more, like controlling blast doors and managing oxygen supply in case of a fire or breach, or also venting rooms in your ship to put out fires or choke intruders to death, FTL manages to be the most complete and realistic spaceship simulator, Star Trek style, that I've ever know, despite its 2D, top-down, pixel art style. You can only "save&quit", if you lose, you have to start from the beginning. Some "runs" will go better than others, it always depends on your ability to adapt and optimize your play style, but it also depends a bit on being fortunate enough on finding a really good upgrade or weapon after a battle or on a store. That can be a bit frustrating, but you'll learn a lot from your mistakes. And after finishing the game, you'll realize that you couldn't have done it if you hadn't learned so much. So it rewards you for your failures and efforts.

The soundtrack is just absolutely brilliant, one of the best in my memory, being part charming old-school style 8-bit tunes, part dreamy sci-fi space sounds, it provides a unique atmosphere that immerses completely. The overall style oozes charms and tender care, despite being a very challenging and unforgiving game.

With the addition of Advanced Edition, completely free, bringing more races, more ships, more weapons and systems, and also more encounters, the game has an impressive amount of content that can get you on it for dozens of hours. If you like space sci-fi strategy games, particularly commanding ships Star Trek style, this is for you. If you get frustrated easily with a challenge, maybe approach it carefully, but you'll be missing out.
  47. Nov 16, 2013
    After reading so many unfavorable reviews being rated as most helpful, I actually find the game far beyond my expectation. I understand people's claim about the random difficulty, but otherwise the game is a near-perfect indie game, with a lot of story events and achievements quite attractive. Definitely worth many times of re-playingthrough, unlike some comments claim.(Don't know whetherAfter reading so many unfavorable reviews being rated as most helpful, I actually find the game far beyond my expectation. I understand people's claim about the random difficulty, but otherwise the game is a near-perfect indie game, with a lot of story events and achievements quite attractive. Definitely worth many times of re-playingthrough, unlike some comments claim.(Don't know whether they actually added more elements in later versions, but as long as my experience goes it's really nice). If you really feel some issues about its difficulty, go and use a game editor, now that most of them are already really mature. Then you can enjoy the immersive game world without a gripe. Expand
  48. Sep 17, 2012
    Amazing game, deep gameplay, plenty of replay value. Game breaks a good bit of new ground in strategy games, well worth the time and attention. avoid the subreddit and wikis however, more fun to discover things yourself.
  49. Sep 20, 2012
    This is one of the best indie games I've ever played. It deserves every cent, I honestly can't wait to see what other games this company will make in the future.
  50. Jan 2, 2013
    Some people consider the luck-element in this game to be bad, but personally i believe it's great, without it a great deal of the re playability wouldn't exist. and of course this game gets boring after a while, but honestly, after you've spent so much hours into it it doesn't matter.
  51. Dec 27, 2012
    A great little game for it's price. Fun, challenging, and original. Luck plays too much of a role, and there's no real save system. Value wise, it's outstanding though.
  52. Dec 20, 2012
    One of my favorite indies so far. This game is such a blast and was well programmed and thought out. No bugs, a fluid experience and a fun challenge every time. You either love or hate rogue likes so know that before purchasing. Only way to improve would be to add more content but for the sale price on steam it is an incredible value. Ive put in 38 hours so far and still have yet toOne of my favorite indies so far. This game is such a blast and was well programmed and thought out. No bugs, a fluid experience and a fun challenge every time. You either love or hate rogue likes so know that before purchasing. Only way to improve would be to add more content but for the sale price on steam it is an incredible value. Ive put in 38 hours so far and still have yet to fully beat the game on normal. Trying to collect all the cruisers is a blast as well. Well done. Expand
  53. Jan 12, 2013
    Man is this game fun! I got it for $4.99 during this week's (Week of 1/6/13) Steam Sale, but its usual price is $9.99. After playing it for a couple hours, I would gladly pay up to $20 for it. For a lightweight game, there is a lot to it and plenty of customization. The only thing so far that I dislike is the whole randomness (Luck) to the game. If you don't find cheap weapons or weaponsMan is this game fun! I got it for $4.99 during this week's (Week of 1/6/13) Steam Sale, but its usual price is $9.99. After playing it for a couple hours, I would gladly pay up to $20 for it. For a lightweight game, there is a lot to it and plenty of customization. The only thing so far that I dislike is the whole randomness (Luck) to the game. If you don't find cheap weapons or weapons from battles, you'll end up losing entirely. However, sometimes you can have it so easy and barely try! (At least until the last sector because, well, it's pretty hard). Without giving away too much, you pilot a ship, upgrade it, repair it, blow up other ships, save people (or not if you don't care), get a bigger crew, and unlock more ships on your travels. LOADS of customization with every playthrough, and every single choice you make will affect you later (such as buying X or using Y or saving Z). A last point I want to say is that running out of fuel, while bad, isn't a "game over" like most other games would be. You can send out a distress beacon in hopes of some nice passerbys will give/sell you fuel, or it may just be evil people instead coming to kill you (and killing/letting them go may give you fuel!). Really great game for the price, especially during this week's sale. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is because of the absolute RNG. It's a little TOO brutal, but hey, that just means more game time overall til I beat it completely. Expand
  54. Mar 9, 2013
    FTL: Faster Than Light was something I really didn't expect. It gave you your ship, your crew, and an objective to reach. Little did I know that the road to the objective was filled with sacrifice, close calls, and tough decisions.

This might sound surprising, as this is a rogue-like game after all, but it encourages you to roleplay and to play the game multiple times, as you will die a lot. And when you die, your ship doesn't respawn, you, and your crew, are dead.

So to survive all this, you need to explore, gather scrap to upgrade your ship, hire new crew, each race having it's own advantages and weaknesses. If there is one major complaint to note, is that is relies a bit too much on luck. You might find yourself fighting a hard enemy while being hit by solar flares, making your ship go down really easily. However, it doesn't stop it from being a great game, and one you cannot pass.
  55. Mar 16, 2013
    At long last, a game that doesnt underestimate people. In a time when pretty much every single game takes you by the hand until its very end, its refreshing to play something like this. Yes, you die a lot, and yes, sometimes it does get frustrating, but thats it. The gameplay seems simple yet its fun and addictive, loved the music and really liked the customization of your ship.
  56. Jun 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game! The graphics are simple and the fictional universe it's incredible rich, a little barely tapped, but still fun and interesting. The difficulty of the game it's very disappointing and exciting at the same time, if you are a impatient person may you be angry sometimes. Anyway, it's amazing! Expand
  57. Mar 15, 2015
    It's awesome wrapped in fried awesome with awesome sauce and a side of buttered awesome.

Truly, this is a game that has never been done before. It blends strategic/tactical starship combat, time management, RTS, role-playing, and an interactive novel together in a roguelike experience. The game is bleepin' hard! And that's the point. Expect to lose about 20 times for every 1 time

The game is bleepin' hard! And that's the point. Expect to lose about 20 times for every 1 time you (almost...!) win.

>;D

ROGUELIKE, baby!!!

In all seriousness, the game's mechanics blend together masterfully to offer the player complete control over what is very often a hopeless scenario. The whole point of a roguelike is to offer the player about the same chance of winning the game as being hit by lightning. (Granted, FTL's "Easy" mode is really that, and most games set to Easy can at least be played into the final stages...once you know what you're doing.)

What I cannot praise enough is the level of gameplay you get even if you do lose. Many roguelikes can put you in a bad spot within 10 minutes of beginning a new character. And a "bad spot" in a roguelike usually means instant death by laceration, impalement, incineration, bludgeoning, infection, curse, malfunction, hallucination, insanity, implosion...or a pleasant mixture of them all. FTL allows for a level of player skill that actually affects your ability to succeed. It's not all, or even mostly, up to the RNG. Players will actually begin to get the idea of what they need to survive and can pursue it. In worst-case scenarios, I know I'm dead long before my ship actually blows.

Controls, interface, and graphics are simple, clear, and I would not alter them in any way. Text scenarios are quick, interesting, and the number of variables that may appear based on your ship's systems, crew, weapons, etc. keep them from becoming old-hat on subsequent playthroughs. Ship designs are widely varied with many strengths and weaknesses, and the only game I can think of that matches the options you are given, moment-to-moment, during combat is Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates.

Does the game have it's flaws? Yes.

Is it occasionally very cheap in its reward/punishment randomization? Yes.

Is the last mission an exercise in frustration with virtually no chance of success? Yes.

That...is it's magic. Expect to lose. I'll put it this way: I didn't jump up out of my chair, raise two fists above my head, and proceed to do the butt dance when I beat Skyrim. (Oddly enough, my girlfriend didn't stare at me concernedly for two days after I beat Skyrim, either.)

Play. This. Game.
  58. Sep 17, 2012
    If you like maddeningly difficult old school games then this one is for you. The graphics are primitive, but I feel like that just adds to the old school feel of the game. The game play is simple enough to pick up quickly, yet complicated enough to keep you thinking and coming back for more.

The basic mechanics of shields, weapon systems, drones, and boarding parties make me feel like I'm the captain of a Star Trek vessel in a way that previous Star Trek and other Sci-Fi games have failed to do so well.

For an inexpensive indie game with such a small team the design is nearly perfect. Aside from having not quite enough different random encounters (expect to play through the same encounters over and over again) I don't think I have any complaints for this title. I hope a AAA studio decides to make something like FTL, or picks up these guys and makes FTL2.
  59. Oct 2, 2012
    Fun game, have logged ~20 hours into it and for $10 it's pretty solid.

The graphics are simple and easy to understand, the UI is well laid out and lays all need to know information at your disposal, game's got some difficulty and the game's skill/luck system is pretty balanced. The problems are there's just a lack of content for random encounters. After a few replays you start to
    Fun game, have logged ~20 hours into it and for $10 it's pretty solid.

The problems are there's just a lack of content for random encounters. After a few replays you start to see patterns in encounters and know what path to pick even before you read the whole thing. Some encounters just seem predetermined for you to fail or lack any substantial rewards to risk your crew and ship over. It just gets a tad old.

Another problem is un-lockable ships aren't the easiest to unlock and it'd be nice for the developers to include maybe an extra ship or two at the beginning to allow new people for more flexible game play initially. If you've got $10 and enjoy tactical game play with some luck involved, you won't be disappointed.
  60. Dec 12, 2012
    This is a difficult game. When I started, it took me five tries to get to the end on easy. Two hundred hours later, on normal I can finish nearly every time. The fighting looks simple, but if you stick with it you'll find amazing tactical depth.
  61. Oct 4, 2013
    The best rogue-like game I've played I'm not usually a fan of them( and stop playing after a couple of deaths), but FTL is an enjoyable and highly challenging blast. The difficulty is very random and I'm convinced the vast majority of seeds are not 'winnable', but hey, all part of the fun.
  62. Dec 30, 2013
    Really refreshing and new.I look forward to the free expansion pack coming sometime in 2014. What can I say, it's cool and fun when you try different tactics. It was meant that it should have 8/10, but since the news about the free expansion pack, I give it 9/10

I really like companies, that renew their products, especially when the game, gets older, then instead making a sequence

GGWP Subset!
  63. Nov 4, 2013
    Space based rouge like with a bit of combat tactics. Music is incredible. Game can be very challenging at first. Start on easy and take your time to learn when to make what choices and what setups are the best. It sucks you in with your desire to get further each run and once beating the boss the pursuit of unlocking more ships provides many hours of entertainment.
  64. Jun 23, 2013
    Very difficult true but also very addictive! It does not forgive recklessness, you need to have some tactics. It also requires a great dose of sheer luck, being procedurally generated and all. Just remember to embrace the failure and make it fun. If you are having problems on normal, try easy don't be ashamed, easy in FTL is like hard in other games and normal is insane.
  65. Feb 10, 2013
    I've read some reviews warning you about this game to be "random", "unfair" and "stupid" (to name a few). Yes this game is random: Each situation is not from a fixed story line, making you powergame after two playthroughs. Sometimes a situation may be unfair, i.e. you run into an enemy with the perfect counter setup for you ship, ripping you literally apart IF you try to win by any meansI've read some reviews warning you about this game to be "random", "unfair" and "stupid" (to name a few). Yes this game is random: Each situation is not from a fixed story line, making you powergame after two playthroughs. Sometimes a situation may be unfair, i.e. you run into an enemy with the perfect counter setup for you ship, ripping you literally apart IF you try to win by any means necessary. And for the meaning of a game it serves no purpose....but to entertain and challenge you from time to time. It is like playing a card game, sometimes with a bad hand but encouraging you to try hard enough to win anyway. There is no Golden Path to the Holy Grail I beat the game in three totally different ways so far and each of them was fun. If you need to save and instantly load the game after getting hit even once (like in some round based shooter), this game is not for you! BUT: Each Sector you reach should be a checkpoint to retry from there.
    ---
    This game does not teach you how to beat it!? Learn vital upgrades, learn your weapons, learn how to use what you have!
    ---
    This game has no high replayability!?
    Does a "Call of Duty" with no choice at all have that!?
    Different Ships in this game offer you different play styles from the start you may try. A playthrough is about half to one hour, so ideal to get your mid of something.
    ---
    Is the game worth its money? If you see it for 2,49$/€, GET IT!
  66. Sep 30, 2013
    I adore this game, enjoyed every minute of it, loved the originality, and loved that the gameplay was exactly what they said it was, there was no trickery. So to decide if you want to play this just read the description and watch the video, easy peasy no way to coq it up. Yes this is a Roguelike game which means yes once you die you die, it also means is random, so if you read that in theI adore this game, enjoyed every minute of it, loved the originality, and loved that the gameplay was exactly what they said it was, there was no trickery. So to decide if you want to play this just read the description and watch the video, easy peasy no way to coq it up. Yes this is a Roguelike game which means yes once you die you die, it also means is random, so if you read that in the description, then saw it in the video, then bought the game and said WTF THIS IS RANDOM AND HARD, then got on here to talk trash about it, then its your fault and go die. Expand
  67. nop
    Mar 3, 2013
    Great game. Hard, unforgiving, maybe too dependent on luck, but extremely addictive and fun. Yes, it could be deeper, less repetitive but it is still a small unexpected masterpiece. P.S. Don't try Normal difficulty until you complete it on easy. On Normal some random encounters will kill you rather frequently unless you you have a lot of experience and skill already. On Easy you canGreat game. Hard, unforgiving, maybe too dependent on luck, but extremely addictive and fun. Yes, it could be deeper, less repetitive but it is still a small unexpected masterpiece. P.S. Don't try Normal difficulty until you complete it on easy. On Normal some random encounters will kill you rather frequently unless you you have a lot of experience and skill already. On Easy you can usually survive most situations even if unprepared. Expand
  68. Oct 9, 2013
    YES!! Finally, this is pure genius. A light in the dark.. take this modern uber hyped crap games!
    The proof that a good game is based on a good concept, passion, love for your work.
    No need for super graphics and 2gb cutscenes, no need for a 2000$ rig to run this gem. All those multimillion developers/corporations should be ASHAMED, faster than light is simply perfect. And it is
    All those multimillion developers/corporations should be ASHAMED, faster than light is simply perfect. And it is unbelievable how much fun you'll have playing it.
  69. Oct 17, 2012
    17OCT2012 - It's an alright game. I wasn't expecting much from this simple looking game but I really enjoyed it. Haven't beaten it yet but I'm still working on it. First impressions for me was that the game looks crappy and a cheap throwback to games from the 1990's. Still though, gameplay is fun and addictive. If the price remains low I would recommend this game.
  70. Jan 8, 2013
    There isn't really anything bad I can say about this, really. The difficulty is insane, and there isn't much of a story there, but everything else in FTL is just so damn good that you don't really care. Also, the soundtrack is freakin' awesome. Seriously, get this game.
  71. Dec 6, 2014
    Faster than light is the example of a perfect Rogue-Like game. It´s simple but very addictive. Combat is great and intense, it has a high quality music. Management of your ship (weapons, shields, crew) is perfect. Events are well written and interesting. It's well balanced and bug free. A perfect game for people who like short games.
    I've been playing this game and its last update for 2
    I've been playing this game and its last update for 2 years and I continue having a lot of fun with it. Another gem from kickstarter.
  72. Oct 4, 2014
    First of all, addressing the complaining (most likely) younger generation gamers: no, I haven't only played the game for 2-3 hours. I put 120+ in, and still counting. This game is what I've been waiting for, and I didn't even know it. Reminds me of the golden age (which means the '90s for me) in terms of difficulty, atmosphere and replay value. Of course if you grew up on Halo, CoD and theFirst of all, addressing the complaining (most likely) younger generation gamers: no, I haven't only played the game for 2-3 hours. I put 120+ in, and still counting. This game is what I've been waiting for, and I didn't even know it. Reminds me of the golden age (which means the '90s for me) in terms of difficulty, atmosphere and replay value. Of course if you grew up on Halo, CoD and the likes, you won't value it. If you're a save-load-abusing kid, you won't value it. Yes, this game is not for everyone. But crying for the difficulty? Go and play your twelve-a-dozen railshooters which give you an achievment for shooting your weapon the first time.

p.s. forgot to mention the AMAZING soundtrack. Ever noticed games these days don't really have a memorable soundtrack? It's either some overused orchestral wannabe-epic background track, or just some ambient whooo-lookatme-im-event-activated foolishness.
  73. Feb 18, 2013
    I never imagined this game would give me this much fun. Really. The graphics will not impress you.
    But they get the job done. Soundtrack is amazing. Creates a nice atmosphere. The gameplay is really great. I love it. And yeah, this game is not easy You will probably die a lot. But that is part of this game.
    But the controls and everything are really easy to pick up and play.
  74. May 20, 2013
    Once bought this game i letterally spent nights on it.
    Have you ever experienced a roguelike? Me myself had in the past, but i couldn't get fun out of 'em, ever.
    Once bought this game i letterally spent nights on it.

This game made me experience the fun behind losing. Because believe me: you are going to lose so many times, and still you'll need to try again. And not in the way "i have to beat this crap!", but instead more something "this one is going to be THE ONE!". And Evrytime in the end you think that you could have done better, so you try again. And you enjoy it, and stick to your tactics which will be proven good or bad only after many trials and errors.

Oh, and the developer is ok with modding, and encourages it. So in the future, the basic game-play of the game (which is brilliant: the fights are really enjoyable and fresh) will experience a more opening to modalities many people felt the game was lacking (i'm quite sure in the future there will be tons of mods on the "privateer" style).

Seriously, you want to buy this game. It's just tons of neverending fun. it's just like old arcades in which you kept on playing for the very sake of becoming better at them! Never felt this sensation since years!
  75. Oct 2, 2013
    Very fun. I love the different scenarios implemented to give it more of an "adventurous" feel as if you were actually on an adventure with this crew you created. The combat is just as amazing. Its exciting because while your fighting an enemy ship, you are also maintaining all of ships different functions and you're always doing something to the point where its almost exhausting. In a goodVery fun. I love the different scenarios implemented to give it more of an "adventurous" feel as if you were actually on an adventure with this crew you created. The combat is just as amazing. Its exciting because while your fighting an enemy ship, you are also maintaining all of ships different functions and you're always doing something to the point where its almost exhausting. In a good way. The reason I did not give this game an 8 is because although it had a lot of situations implemented, I didn't feel there was enough to keep me interested for a super long time. But for a $10 price tag, it's definitely a steal. Expand
  76. Dec 16, 2013
    I am not an indie gamer. I typically cannot stand games that have or 2d graphics because I grew up around xbox 360s and PS2 or PS3 systems. That however did not stop me from absolutely falling in love with FTL. FTL has great music, gameplay, and is strangely addicting. It is simple enough to be understood by most people and if you read the tips on the wiki page you will find easy mode ofI am not an indie gamer. I typically cannot stand games that have or 2d graphics because I grew up around xbox 360s and PS2 or PS3 systems. That however did not stop me from absolutely falling in love with FTL. FTL has great music, gameplay, and is strangely addicting. It is simple enough to be understood by most people and if you read the tips on the wiki page you will find easy mode of the game quite enjoyable. The normal mode is quite difficult and is often frustrating but I feel that the game is well balanced. Anyways, play the game on easy mode if your ego can handle it and you might actually become as addicted to it as I did. As a closing thought: Great value for a great game. I bought FTL for 10 bucks or less on steam and it was one of the best purchases I have ever made online. Support indie gamers! Expand
  77. Aug 5, 2014
    141 hours in on the PC, not including all the hours spent on the iOS version....

Firstly the worst part about the game is the ship unlocks although with Advanced Edition they've partly fixed that so you don't need to do idiotic quests. Its a very compact game, each game is short enough to finish in 1 or 2 sittings. There's no waste, no needless grinding to get items. Whilst it can

Whilst it can be said that there are only certain ways to win (boarding crews and or overwhelming firepower) plus the first few sectors are make or break. The whole experience really is a awesome rpg/strategy blend that I can't recommend enough.

Plus the soundtrack is impressive for retro midi!
  78. Oct 14, 2016
    The game that introduced me to the joy of rogue-like games and still the best of the genre that I have ever played. Every time I jump back into this game I discover something new, a new combination of weapons and technology, a new cool way to defeat your foes and save the galaxy. Most of my playthroughs I die before the final boss but that's what draws you back into the game again andThe game that introduced me to the joy of rogue-like games and still the best of the genre that I have ever played. Every time I jump back into this game I discover something new, a new combination of weapons and technology, a new cool way to defeat your foes and save the galaxy. Most of my playthroughs I die before the final boss but that's what draws you back into the game again and again, until you finally beat the thing, giving you an amazing feeling of pride and satisfaction. You should really try it, it's great! Expand
  79. Jul 14, 2013
    One of the most addictive games I've played, just spent an entire weekend with this game and I loved it. Sure the luck factor plays a huge role and combined with general difficulty of the game can make it frustrating at times, but after all that's what makes me play over and over again. It's absolutely worth picking it up, it's 2.5€ on sale and it managed to keep me playing for way longerOne of the most addictive games I've played, just spent an entire weekend with this game and I loved it. Sure the luck factor plays a huge role and combined with general difficulty of the game can make it frustrating at times, but after all that's what makes me play over and over again. It's absolutely worth picking it up, it's 2.5€ on sale and it managed to keep me playing for way longer than most of the full priced 60€ titles (not that I'm done with it anytime soon though, still have ships to unlock!). Expand
  80. Sep 24, 2012
    When I heard that FTL had achieved it's kickstarter goals and been released I was actually thinking of another kickstarter project with a similar focus that I had donated to months earlier. I hadn't heard of FTL before this point, but I'm glad I bought it. The game is basically Nethack in space, although while I find nethack frustrating to the point of wanting to throw my computer out theWhen I heard that FTL had achieved it's kickstarter goals and been released I was actually thinking of another kickstarter project with a similar focus that I had donated to months earlier. I hadn't heard of FTL before this point, but I'm glad I bought it. The game is basically Nethack in space, although while I find nethack frustrating to the point of wanting to throw my computer out the window, FTL, while still being hard as nails doesn't frustrate in the same way. Yes it's going to take you a while to have a game where you make it to the final sector. Yes it's going to take you even longer to beat the game, but each and every journey you find yourself telling the stories of your crew, living through their little pixelated lives and it really tears at your heart to lose your captain to a pack of killer spiders, or that engi slave you freed to a pirate boarding party. Deep under all the repetitive scenarios and mechanics there is this tiny little random heart beating life into the game in a way that even big-name titles seem to fall short of, and if you're a perfectionist, or a completionist there are some difficult unlockables to catch but even though I've basically seen all the game has to offer I keep going back, because it's easy to get into and hard as hell to master. Expand
  81. Jun 7, 2013
    FTL: Faster Than Light (because you know you are too stupid to figure out that that is what FTL stands for) is a game that WILL kill you. It will unexpectedly murder knife you repeatedly. 9 games out of 10 it will slaughter you dead. On "normal".

It is the hardest game I played since Baldur's Gate 1. And guess what? Thats what makes this game so frigging fun! While I would

It is the hardest game I played since Baldur's Gate 1.

And guess what?

Thats what makes this game so frigging fun!

While I would liked to have had an "easy" mode in this game, and also the ability to save during a campaign. And I think that the "rebel" fleet should advance a little bit slower than it does.
    I genuinely think this game was probably my best purchase of last year.

The game has its flaws certainly, but it is addictive, challenging, and fun.

I wish the game did a better job of "explaining" itself. What you need to do, why you need to do it, and where you are going; better than it does. But if you have half a brain you will get the hang of it sooner or later.

Worth buying.
  82. Feb 27, 2016
    One of favorite games of all times! Am absolute masterpiece in which personal skill can overcome (almost) any challenge! Atmospheric, great combat, interesting progression, enough randomness to keep things interesting for many many hours (I played for far over 100 hours). Don't give up just because you died a few times, the more you learn the more fun you will have! If you even areOne of favorite games of all times! Am absolute masterpiece in which personal skill can overcome (almost) any challenge! Atmospheric, great combat, interesting progression, enough randomness to keep things interesting for many many hours (I played for far over 100 hours). Don't give up just because you died a few times, the more you learn the more fun you will have! If you even are remotely interested in a challenging but fun game, pick this up. Critic reviews for this game are btw. not representative of the final product, many sites used outdated reviewing system which had to attribute the games "retro" graphics to a lower score thus impacting (unrightfully so) the score negatively (e.g. Gamestars review). Also all the negative user reviews complaining about luck (RNG): honestly if your good at the game, you will most likely win 90% of your runs, no matter the starting conditions. Bad decision making (like also in many other games, like league of legends etc.) will cost you the game even though you "feel" you did the "right" thing, but it actually was just because you made a wrong decision without thinking much. Expand
  83. Sep 17, 2012
    I absolutely adore this game. It gives anybody the chance to nerd out so much and is a perfect example of a community creating a game and making it near perfect. The ONLY thing I can fight bad about this game is that It doesnt give you enough to manage. Just four or five rooms while any extra crew just stands arounds. An amazing rogue-like strategy science fiction game. Even if you don'tI absolutely adore this game. It gives anybody the chance to nerd out so much and is a perfect example of a community creating a game and making it near perfect. The ONLY thing I can fight bad about this game is that It doesnt give you enough to manage. Just four or five rooms while any extra crew just stands arounds. An amazing rogue-like strategy science fiction game. Even if you don't like these kind of games, at least try it because it redifines the genre. Perfect 10 out of 10. Expand
  84. Sep 22, 2013
    EPICLY AWESOME GAME! For 10€ I have had 100+ hours of fun. T
    The game is hard, very hard. Its unforgiving and brutal but that makes it awesome. You will have such an epic feeling when you beat the game. Replay value is high since the game has alot of randomness in it.

The setting and music is also great. Will make you feel like you're truely flying trough space.
  85. Nov 12, 2016
    FTL: Faster Than Light, is the most fun game I've played this month, there's just some sort of charm to it. It has great replay value, this is because the amount of stuff you can unlock, and because you always want your current run through to beat the last, and you always want to do better. There's always something new to expect each run too.

The game is highly addictive, the RPG

The game is highly addictive, the RPG elements are executed really well, but the difficulty curve does sneak up on you from time to time, even on easy mode.

A must have for your collection. 9/10
  86. Jul 18, 2013
    If you loved the old 90's PC games, this game will be for you. I am spending every night, playing atleast one game. The game is very addictive and while the Steam sale is on, this game is a steal for $3.
  87. Apr 13, 2014
    This review includes the Advanced Edition. This game is SUPPOSED to be hard. Yes, it is random but that is part of the fun, every play-through is different. Way too many people are addicted to the hold-your-hand mash one button to get through an interactive cut scene type of game these days. Sure I have died a lot in FTL, but if you actually stop to think about what you were doing you canThis review includes the Advanced Edition. This game is SUPPOSED to be hard. Yes, it is random but that is part of the fun, every play-through is different. Way too many people are addicted to the hold-your-hand mash one button to get through an interactive cut scene type of game these days. Sure I have died a lot in FTL, but if you actually stop to think about what you were doing you can figure out a way to deal with that type of situation when you run into it in the future. One of the negative reviews complains that "I ran into a ship with FOUR SHIELDS but I had run out of missiles so it was impossible to win THIS GAME IS BAD". It's not the game's fault for players not being creative or having a slight bit of foresight. I got the game for 10 dollars and have spent more time with it than I have with some 60 dollar titles. It will be in my library for a very long time and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes sci-fi games. Also, it was just released for tablets so my time on the toilet is going to be increasing. With the regular edition I would have given the game a 7.5 or 8 because the number of events was rather low but with the new advanced edition I really feel like the game has enough variety to warrant a 9. Expand
  88. Apr 29, 2013
    FTL is just one of those Unique games that you can't say anything bad about. It is so simple but allows the player to get engrossed and continue on their mission. Faster than light is a game you can go to any time and have a great time, never seeing the same ting twice is a bonus which is rare within games these days.

I'll be honest I first downloaded this game illegally but after I

I'll be honest I first downloaded this game illegally but after I played my first game I enjoyed it that much I went back and bought the game to support the developers in their great work. I have never played a game like this and you will never have the same play though of the game twice. I can't wait until more content comes out for this game. I would highly recommend this game.
  89. Jun 13, 2013
    Crying for days after my crew was shot down by the rebels after being stranded without fuel no other game has doen that and the people dont even talk. Why are indie games so much better tah nmost triple A games these days. RIP crew of the SS ChildMurderer
  90. Sep 25, 2013
    Pros:
    + Very fun and addictive
    + Gameplay is simple but very tactical + Can be extremely challenging + Randomness factor coupled with interesting achievements and unlockables add a degree of replayability + Music is absolutely perfect + Makes you feel like a captain of a spaceship Can't really think of any big cons off the top of my head. Just a fun, little game that will rid you
    Pros:
    + Very fun and addictive
    + Gameplay is simple but very tactical
    + Can be extremely challenging
    + Music is absolutely perfect
    + Makes you feel like a captain of a spaceship

Can't really think of any big cons off the top of my head. Just a fun, little game that will rid you of sleep for a couple days/weeks.
  91. Oct 7, 2013
    I've always skipped FTL because of the 8-bit graphics look and sounds, but when I got it in a bundle I thought to give it a try. Damn, was I sad that I judged this game on it's looks & sounds the movie gave me. Yeah, as expected, it's not much to look at and sounds are really mediocre, but you forget all about it when you start to play FTL! It's the addictive gameplay that compensates it'sI've always skipped FTL because of the 8-bit graphics look and sounds, but when I got it in a bundle I thought to give it a try. Damn, was I sad that I judged this game on it's looks & sounds the movie gave me. Yeah, as expected, it's not much to look at and sounds are really mediocre, but you forget all about it when you start to play FTL! It's the addictive gameplay that compensates it's look and I can't stop playing it whenever I have a few minutes to kill behind my PC I'm playing FTL. Expand
  92. Mar 24, 2013
    There plenty of reasons to complain about FTL. Luckily for this little game? None of those reasons are that it isn't fun. It is a one of a kind game there really is nothing like it out there. Let's call it an epic space flight sim? If you're after graphics this is not the game for you. Yet I consistently find my room mates and friends watching me play this game. It has real decisions,There plenty of reasons to complain about FTL. Luckily for this little game? None of those reasons are that it isn't fun. It is a one of a kind game there really is nothing like it out there. Let's call it an epic space flight sim? If you're after graphics this is not the game for you. Yet I consistently find my room mates and friends watching me play this game. It has real decisions, 'real' stakes and 'real' consequences. Huge replay-ability and a truly fresh feel. Definitely pick this one up. Expand
  93. M13
    Sep 28, 2012
    Having the most fun playing this game that I've had in a looong time. Love the permadeath. And remember people the fights are just as hard on "easy" you just get a bit more money. When I was very young about 24 years ago there was a turn based Mech Warrior RPG.......I loved that then. And I love this now. They seem very similar.
  94. Mar 20, 2013
    I truly love this game. Lot's of replayabiliy but I would have appreciated if there was a bit more randomness to the boss... but the overall experience starting and going to the boss area is really fun. I love the selection of weaponry, the number of passengers, the shields and the how you have to strategically utilize all of this using careful management of energy.
  95. Sep 7, 2013
    I was looking on steam for some cheap games to buy. I found this and Reus, but I chose this, and as soon as I started playing, I couldn't stop. I spent 4 hours straight just messing around and failing. The game always has something new in store and is your always thinking "should I sent my crew in to find survivors? Or will they get killed by an alien spider" meaning you always need to beI was looking on steam for some cheap games to buy. I found this and Reus, but I chose this, and as soon as I started playing, I couldn't stop. I spent 4 hours straight just messing around and failing. The game always has something new in store and is your always thinking "should I sent my crew in to find survivors? Or will they get killed by an alien spider" meaning you always need to be careful of your choices. The incredible amount of content is this game is just wow. All the different ships to unlock, and their multiple layouts, the achievements, the different species of aliens to hire, the enemies, everything is just so entertaining and addictive. Its not too difficult if you play on easy, which is nice for people who want to try the game but do not want to be challenged. The game is very fun, very addicting and very replayable. This is an INCREDIBLE value for just $10 and Its Definitely worth it.

With the great value, replayability, and addictiveness this definitely deserves a 9.5. One of the best
    indie games you can get for really cheap. I really suggest you go buy it RIGHT NOW! Stop reading this. Buy it. If you already bought it, PLAY IT! What are you waiting for, this game is great!
  96. Jul 24, 2013
    FTL is a fun and addictive game that will suck hours away from your life but be warned this is not a game for everyone. This game caters to a certain niche of gamers. Those easily frustrated by hardcore difficult games with no clear cut solutions steer clear.
  97. Sep 26, 2012
    awesome little game, i'm bewildered by the negative reviews...how anyone can criticize this game so heavily is ridiculous I've read their complaints and as a hardcore FTLer of some 89 hours i can tell you most of them are totally unfounded and written by impartial trolls...if you like Sci-Fi and RPG's and don't belong to the "ADD i like my games all graphics and no content and one buttonawesome little game, i'm bewildered by the negative reviews...how anyone can criticize this game so heavily is ridiculous I've read their complaints and as a hardcore FTLer of some 89 hours i can tell you most of them are totally unfounded and written by impartial trolls...if you like Sci-Fi and RPG's and don't belong to the "ADD i like my games all graphics and no content and one button wins" generation, buy it.... its cheap and genius, these guys need to be supported. Expand
  98. Sep 17, 2012
    I bought the game on a whim and was very surprised by the level on design that went into a $10 game. It is very challenging and gives you a lot to explore and accomplish. You have multiple choices in equipping your ship and crew that greatly affect your abilities. I have 6 or 7 hours into it so far and still have only got to the final boss once. Not bad for the price of a movieI bought the game on a whim and was very surprised by the level on design that went into a $10 game. It is very challenging and gives you a lot to explore and accomplish. You have multiple choices in equipping your ship and crew that greatly affect your abilities. I have 6 or 7 hours into it so far and still have only got to the final boss once. Not bad for the price of a movie ticket. Wish the easy mode was a little more generous with the scrap and weapons drops. Expand
  99. Oct 15, 2012
    Graphics: 9 (So high because of the cool retro factor) Controls: 10 (really fantastic) Replayability: 9 Music/Sounds: 9 Value: 10

This game is really for smart people. There have been way WAY to many games made in the last 5 years that put you on rails and you really cant lose. On Easy, you die ALOT. Then you get the hang of it, and the boss level causes you to die ALOT. I unlocked 4-5 ships before I went back and beat the game on easy with the first ship i unlocked. Let me tell you, THAT was satisfying. For $10 I've played for $32, and I'm going to play it some more. I'd say I got my moneys worth. Like I said, If you are smart (IQ > 100) you WILL enjoy this. If Modern Warfare 3 on xBox is your thing, you probably want to pass.
  100. Oct 26, 2013
    Fantastic little game. Best value ever. The strategy-oriented gameplay is very straightforward but also deep and new to my experience. It is a very challenging game, and you could get frustrated. The only bad point is that the story gets repetitive after some point. Well, I played already 150h, so it's not bad at all.
  101. Oct 15, 2012

1. May 27, 2013
    Fulfill a sci-fi fantasy by becoming the Captain of your own starship! Don't expect great graphics, but do except to lose many hours to FTL and expect to lose your ship ... a lot.
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Kickstarter has accomplished its mission in this one, giving the opportunity to an original, non-mainstream title to go public and meet its well-deserved success. Especially for sci-fi fans, it’s a no-brainer; buy this game at once and live the life of a courageous pilot that only has one mission: survival. [November 2012]
  3. Nov 24, 2012