FTL: Faster Than Light PC

8.4

1. Nov 21, 2014
    I originally wrote a very negative review of this game here upon release, and I still feel today that the review was both accurate and well deserved. At release this game was a tease -- offering promise but not delivering on any of it. Maddeningly simple combat mechanics, limited RNG for everything especially encounters, narrow options for progression and unlocking, and little freedom ofI originally wrote a very negative review of this game here upon release, and I still feel today that the review was both accurate and well deserved. At release this game was a tease -- offering promise but not delivering on any of it. Maddeningly simple combat mechanics, limited RNG for everything especially encounters, narrow options for progression and unlocking, and little freedom of strategic gameplay if you wanted any measure of success in the late game made it a huge headache for a lot of old pc gamers like myself. We wanted to love it -- we simply could not.

Time has addressed most of my complaints, and I definitely love FTL today. Or perhaps to be more precise: Patches, the Advanced Edition version of the game, the Captain's Edition mod, Captain's Edition's addons, and several other key mods have addressed most of my complaints, and this combination is now what I love today -- not the game "FTL - Advanced Edition", but the gestalt that the community has created through modification. Finally, FINALLY, the game is what it should have been at release.

First of all, FTL+AE+CE+mods is just randomly, spontaneously fun now, even when you fail, and without removing the rogue-like level of difficulty. The game is still very difficult, even incredibly so, but largely through strategy and choices rather than arbitrary "haha you died" RNG events that took no account of what had been done in that particular game up to that point. You can still get crippled or killed in RNG events, but they're MUCH less arbitrary and annoying than they were in the original release, and as you get stronger you will actually feel the power increase and be able to handle situations that previously you thought were impossible (and in the original game, 999 times out of 1000, WERE impossible).

FTL+AE+CE is also more refined everywhere you look, with mistakes fixed, crashes addressed, and details improved, even moreso when you start piling on the mods. There are many more mods that I haven't even mentioned in this review (such as Better Planets and Backgrounds) that improve FTL tremendously, and you can (largely) mix and match the ones you want to get the experience that you want.

Another important point: with mods the game now has a much more expansive universe, with a lot more to see, do, and discover. Now each new new game genuinely feels much more random, spontaneous, and alive. It took me over 3 complete playthroughs (that ended in winning the game -- a death is not a playthrough, and I had many of those) to actually see all of the RNG events. This is well over 200 hours of playtime alone, and I still haven't seen all the possible outcomes/choices, just the actual events themselves. The choices and strategic options you have now, from crew composition all the way down to roleplaying the metagame in RNG events, are so much more expanded that comparisons with the original game are hardly even valid anymore.

In summary, the original release of FTL was promising, and with a lot of great ideas (and trance loops), it just wasn't a good game. FTL Advanced Edition + Captain's Edition + CE addons + your choice of further modding is INDEED the great game that FTL should have been. It's a pity that the mod community had to make FTL into a properly fun computer game, but I'm just glad that the community did it. If I could, I'd pay them instead of the developer, because they took something lacking structure, polish, features, depth, and overall quality, and made it simply fantastic. Thanks guys! You are one of the many reasons that PC will always be the #1 gaming platform.

One last thing: Buy this game on GOG and support the DRM-free Revolution. I did.
  2. Jul 28, 2013
    I had to submit a new review because my first impression of the game was very wrong and I shouldn't have written a review so quickly. This game is actually very deep to the point of every item in the game having a strategic purpose. I originally thought it was very random and while it is very random there are routine strategies you can follow that can help turn the randomness in your favor.
  3. Sep 17, 2012
    Brutally difficult. If you dislike game over screens, this is not the game for you. You will die, a lot. Sometimes it won't seem fair. Other times everything comes together just right and it's the greatest feeling in the world. The mechanics work really well here and if you like a challenge you owe it to yourself to pick this one up.
  4. Sep 17, 2012
    Amazing game, deep gameplay, plenty of replay value. Game breaks a good bit of new ground in strategy games, well worth the time and attention. avoid the subreddit and wikis however, more fun to discover things yourself.
  5. nop
    Mar 3, 2013
    Great game. Hard, unforgiving, maybe too dependent on luck, but extremely addictive and fun. Yes, it could be deeper, less repetitive but it is still a small unexpected masterpiece. P.S. Don't try Normal difficulty until you complete it on easy. On Normal some random encounters will kill you rather frequently unless you you have a lot of experience and skill already. On Easy you canGreat game. Hard, unforgiving, maybe too dependent on luck, but extremely addictive and fun. Yes, it could be deeper, less repetitive but it is still a small unexpected masterpiece. P.S. Don't try Normal difficulty until you complete it on easy. On Normal some random encounters will kill you rather frequently unless you you have a lot of experience and skill already. On Easy you can usually survive most situations even if unprepared. Expand
  6. May 28, 2014
    I like it a lot. It could use a little more depth (I haven't tried to the expansion though), seems like mostly you just try to keep their weapons disabled and the AI is pretty basic.

But I had a whole lot of fun with this.

Though losing a crewman in your first encounter in the first zone is kind of completely ****
  7. Oct 9, 2013
    YES!! Finally, this is pure genius. A light in the dark.. take this modern uber hyped crap games!
    The proof that a good game is based on a good concept, passion, love for your work.
    No need for super graphics and 2gb cutscenes, no need for a 2000$ rig to run this gem. All those multimillion developers/corporations should be ASHAMED, faster than light is simply perfect. And it is
    All those multimillion developers/corporations should be ASHAMED, faster than light is simply perfect. And it is unbelievable how much fun you'll have playing it.
  8. Sep 11, 2013
    One of the best hour/dollar ratios in gaming. This game is hard as balls though, not that there's anything wrong with that. As far as roguelikes go this is one of my favorites.

I love this game.
  9. Sep 20, 2012
    This is one of the best indie games I've ever played. It deserves every cent, I honestly can't wait to see what other games this company will make in the future.
  10. Mar 24, 2013
    There plenty of reasons to complain about FTL. Luckily for this little game? None of those reasons are that it isn't fun. It is a one of a kind game there really is nothing like it out there. Let's call it an epic space flight sim? If you're after graphics this is not the game for you. Yet I consistently find my room mates and friends watching me play this game. It has real decisions,There plenty of reasons to complain about FTL. Luckily for this little game? None of those reasons are that it isn't fun. It is a one of a kind game there really is nothing like it out there. Let's call it an epic space flight sim? If you're after graphics this is not the game for you. Yet I consistently find my room mates and friends watching me play this game. It has real decisions, 'real' stakes and 'real' consequences. Huge replay-ability and a truly fresh feel. Definitely pick this one up. Expand
  11. Jan 11, 2013
    It seems people do not remember the old rogue like games of the past and are pretty quick to bomb this game because they got angry at their bad luck.... It is a shame really, because you can't win, with people complaining about games not being hard anymore and when one comes out, they can't handle it. Regardless, FTL is an awesome polished game with an amazing soundtrack, plenty of contentIt seems people do not remember the old rogue like games of the past and are pretty quick to bomb this game because they got angry at their bad luck.... It is a shame really, because you can't win, with people complaining about games not being hard anymore and when one comes out, they can't handle it. Regardless, FTL is an awesome polished game with an amazing soundtrack, plenty of content and proves to be a fun, addicting and difficult video game for people who can handle it. Game mechanics are stressful, but well implemented and generally enjoyable. Ship unlocks provide a long-term and difficult challenge for people who are interested in unlockables and full completion. Like any rogue-like, it is difficult, unfair in some places and heavily dependent on luck once you learn how to play. But that's a good thing, it keeps the game varied and interesting. Getting lucky is not the whole story, success will come from making the right decisions with what your luck gives you. Expand
  12. Sep 25, 2012
    I wouldn't say this beats out AAA games on length of play, but it's ridiculously fun for a few hours to start and then for random playthroughs here and there. I'm not a huge fan of the difficulty posed in the final boss where you might've not come across enough stuff to beat him thanks to the timer involved in each area, but that's roguelike territory for you. I wish there were moreI wouldn't say this beats out AAA games on length of play, but it's ridiculously fun for a few hours to start and then for random playthroughs here and there. I'm not a huge fan of the difficulty posed in the final boss where you might've not come across enough stuff to beat him thanks to the timer involved in each area, but that's roguelike territory for you. I wish there were more modes to where you could just explore or something, but for $9 I can understand that coming later or with mods. Expand
  13. Aug 25, 2013
    a very enjoyable game. it isn't too difficult in the beginning and gradually gets harder... WAY harder. most rogue like games forget to use a easier beginning to draw you in before smashing you to pieces. his game however does a great job of tricking you into thinking "my ship is great i'll beat it this time!". i like the soundtrack. the images in the background are repeated a bit tooa very enjoyable game. it isn't too difficult in the beginning and gradually gets harder... WAY harder. most rogue like games forget to use a easier beginning to draw you in before smashing you to pieces. his game however does a great job of tricking you into thinking "my ship is great i'll beat it this time!". i like the soundtrack. the images in the background are repeated a bit too often, but it's not that big of a deal. anyway one of the better rogue like games i have ever played. Expand
  14. Feb 18, 2013
    I never imagined this game would give me this much fun. Really. The graphics will not impress you.
    But they get the job done. Soundtrack is amazing. Creates a nice atmosphere. The gameplay is really great. I love it. And yeah, this game is not easy You will probably die a lot. But that is part of this game.
    But the controls and everything are really easy to pick up and play.
  15. Jul 14, 2013
    One of the most addictive games I've played, just spent an entire weekend with this game and I loved it. Sure the luck factor plays a huge role and combined with general difficulty of the game can make it frustrating at times, but after all that's what makes me play over and over again. It's absolutely worth picking it up, it's 2.5€ on sale and it managed to keep me playing for way longerOne of the most addictive games I've played, just spent an entire weekend with this game and I loved it. Sure the luck factor plays a huge role and combined with general difficulty of the game can make it frustrating at times, but after all that's what makes me play over and over again. It's absolutely worth picking it up, it's 2.5€ on sale and it managed to keep me playing for way longer than most of the full priced 60€ titles (not that I'm done with it anytime soon though, still have ships to unlock!). Expand
  16. Sep 17, 2012
    If you like maddeningly difficult old school games then this one is for you. The graphics are primitive, but I feel like that just adds to the old school feel of the game. The game play is simple enough to pick up quickly, yet complicated enough to keep you thinking and coming back for more.

The basic mechanics of shields, weapon systems, drones, and boarding parties make me feel like I'm the captain of a Star Trek vessel in a way that previous Star Trek and other Sci-Fi games have failed to do so well.

For an inexpensive indie game with such a small team the design is nearly perfect. Aside from having not quite enough different random encounters (expect to play through the same encounters over and over again) I don't think I have any complaints for this title. I hope a AAA studio decides to make something like FTL, or picks up these guys and makes FTL2.
  17. Sep 25, 2012
    YES! I beat the game on easy!
    YES! I beat the game on easy!
    That is something that you won't hear that often, hardly ever for that matter, when it comes to most video games. This game is difficult and takes time to master the intricacies of what will work in certain situations. While the game randomly generates each play-through, you will from time to time get events that are similar, but with how unforgiving the game can be at times, that is a good thing. You learn from mistakes and adapt, though you usually have to adapt more than once with each play-through.

It is a wonderful top down spaceship command game, and with what games have come out in the past decade, FTL feels pleasantly fresh to me, but with a retro feel. The sound track is awesome; it's typical sci-fi fair but it definitely sounds original and also retro with the computerized sounding notes. The graphics have the same retro feel, like I'm playing a game that could have come out 15 years ago by the look. That is also a good thing, since it gives me something different to look at compared to the top of the line graphics oriented games. Not everything in gaming is about having the best graphics, and frankly, graphics rank low on the list about what is important in making a great game.

Game play is a big factor in great games and FTL has just that. While the encounters can get repetitive at times, each encounter can change from that to different within seconds. On well placed hit by an enemy can have you sending your crew running to repair a hull breach or a heavily damaged life support system. It can get hectic at times, but the game does allow you to pause mid-combat to analyze the situation act out your best plan accordingly.

Besides the music I mention before, the sound effects are great as well. The sound of missiles exploding as they hit their mark, varying "pew pew" style laser sounds from laser batteries, and the crackling of an ion cannon shot that has disabled a system on the enemy ship(though more likely yours). There is also is the ability to cloak your ship if it came with a cloak or if you bought one along your journey. If you want to teleport people, you can do that too if your ship has one or you get one. Teleport some of your crew to reek havoc on the enemy vessel.

As I said the game is very unforgiving and permanent death is something that makes the game twice as nail biting since there is no save function that allows you to start at the last good place if you die. But since the game doesn't take that long to get to the end(play-throughs usually last no more that 2 hours), the permanent death is not a problem. Though it can tug at your heart strings, if you have named your faithful ship and crew, which the game lets you do. Oh, poor Engineer Gork, your effort in putting out the fire in the engine room was greatly appreciated, but sadly you perished from the lack of oxygen before you could get to safety in the nearby corridor.

The game is quite amazing in every way. Though if you don't like a challenge, then I guess it isn't for you. As for me, I love it and all its quirks, so that is why I give it a 10.
  18. Aug 12, 2013
    This is a sweet game. It is a bit too dependent on luck, but with time you develop response strategies to different situations. The key is to maximize on good situations and retreat when things get bad if necessary. I guess that's a part of this game's appeal mainstream games today simply aren't trying to kill you anymore. They always try to hold your hand. Now where's the fun in that?
  19. M13
    Sep 28, 2012
    Having the most fun playing this game that I've had in a looong time. Love the permadeath. And remember people the fights are just as hard on "easy" you just get a bit more money. When I was very young about 24 years ago there was a turn based Mech Warrior RPG.......I loved that then. And I love this now. They seem very similar.
  20. Mar 23, 2014
    For those among us who enjoy pain and suffering, sci fi themed tactical games with a bit of RP elements thrown in, FTL is an ideal game. A constant barrage of bad luck and impossible situations means you`re likely to spend a lot of time restarting the game, cursing loudly to the annoyance of family members or even crying.
    This skillfully constructed tool for selling more nerve medication
    This skillfully constructed tool for selling more nerve medication will include things like hitting your weapons 1 second after you enter stealth mode to reload your weapon in safety, forcing you to spend stealth putting out fires instead of reloading, which means you`ll be reloading later when the enemy is firing on you. Or killing off your crew with random events and not generating any way to shanghai more crew, leading to death by abandoned ship. Or it may refuse to provide you with a suitable weapon upgrade for level after level, until you can`t break the shields of any enemy and die. Once in a while it will even make dead ends for you, forcing you right back into the pursuing fleet which is what provides the time pressure in the game, preventing free exploration.
    And I could list about 20 similar conspiracies hatched by the makers of FTL without effort; all with the express purpose of driving me insane. Having said this you might think the game is no fun. But it is! Unlocking ships, finding rare events and quests and the interminable difficulty of getting your ship to the last zone in an appropriate condition to fight the last battle is irresistible to all roguelike fans and should not be missed. Although much of the game is random, practice does make things easier to a certain extent. Things like venting the ship into space to deal with boarders while putting all your crew in the medbay for example has apparently not occurred to many of the negative reviewers here. But this simple response makes it easy to deal with boarding parties, and fires from solar activity I might add, since the enemy cannot beam back to the other ship because there is a CD and are forced to fight in your medbay where they will die every time.
    Obviously the easily frustrated should perhaps look elsewhere. Unless you understand the genre concepts of randomness and perma death, and like them, you will not have much fun. For the rest of us though we can only hope that a sequel will appear at some point in the future. Until then, FTL will have to do:)
  21. Mar 7, 2013
    Well I easily sunk in over 30 hours so far, for a simple premise its so addictive. Whats more is its proof that game don't have to have major budgets and high end graphics to be compelling, intuitive and enjoyable. The price is more then reasonable for this throw-back to the 90s in terms of game play and style.
  22. Sep 17, 2012
    i've been hyped for FTL ever since I contributed to their Kickstarter. Now that it's here, I'm not dissapointed at all :)

Graphics - Old school, but very clean. there aren't any options though, including resolution, which makes it look quite bad on stretched fullscreen. More customisation would be nice. Sound - AMAZING sound design. great effects and a very nice soundtrack, never

Sound - AMAZING sound design. great effects and a very nice soundtrack, never feels repetitive.

Gameplay - WIN. Even though there really isn't much of a variety of gameplay, It is always fun, very repeatable and VERY hard. it will take you a long time to win the game just once, then so much more to unlock all the content available

Overall - I HIGHLY reccomend it.
  23. Sep 18, 2013
    A decent fun game with an average game duration of about an hour, very addictive for a couple days. Also very hard, out of a over a dozen attempts I managed to win once using a stealth cruiser.
  24. Dec 27, 2012
    Simple at first with but with depth. Challenging combat - a rarity in today's games. Works under Linux! Sometimes frustrating but overall worth every penny.
  25. Oct 15, 2012
    Perfect game for what it is--a very short, simple, highly replayable,sci-fi roguelike. For the price, it's an amazing game, and I'll probably keep it installed for years. It's harder than most modern games, and a given run can be ruined by the occasional bad roll at the wrong time. But the whole game takes about 2 hours, and the really bad luck doesn't happen often.
  26. Sep 24, 2012
    When I heard that FTL had achieved it's kickstarter goals and been released I was actually thinking of another kickstarter project with a similar focus that I had donated to months earlier. I hadn't heard of FTL before this point, but I'm glad I bought it. The game is basically Nethack in space, although while I find nethack frustrating to the point of wanting to throw my computer out theWhen I heard that FTL had achieved it's kickstarter goals and been released I was actually thinking of another kickstarter project with a similar focus that I had donated to months earlier. I hadn't heard of FTL before this point, but I'm glad I bought it. The game is basically Nethack in space, although while I find nethack frustrating to the point of wanting to throw my computer out the window, FTL, while still being hard as nails doesn't frustrate in the same way. Yes it's going to take you a while to have a game where you make it to the final sector. Yes it's going to take you even longer to beat the game, but each and every journey you find yourself telling the stories of your crew, living through their little pixelated lives and it really tears at your heart to lose your captain to a pack of killer spiders, or that engi slave you freed to a pirate boarding party. Deep under all the repetitive scenarios and mechanics there is this tiny little random heart beating life into the game in a way that even big-name titles seem to fall short of, and if you're a perfectionist, or a completionist there are some difficult unlockables to catch but even though I've basically seen all the game has to offer I keep going back, because it's easy to get into and hard as hell to master. Expand
  27. Oct 9, 2012
    Very fun game that may or may not keep you glued for hours. It has a crazy hard difficulty that may turn off some players or may attract some like flies to honey. Be warned, you will either love it or want to smash your computer to tiny bits in rage.
  28. Sep 16, 2012
    I bought FTL on a whim when I saw that it involved space ship command with a tactical bent. My expectations were low - but when I got into it I was surprised to find myself really engaged and enjoying the experience. The visuals aren't that flash but the gameplay fires the imagination such that the visuals remain functional and incidental to the core experience. Different scenarios areI bought FTL on a whim when I saw that it involved space ship command with a tactical bent. My expectations were low - but when I got into it I was surprised to find myself really engaged and enjoying the experience. The visuals aren't that flash but the gameplay fires the imagination such that the visuals remain functional and incidental to the core experience. Different scenarios are presented to you as you warp into each new sector and you are required to make choices that influence where the game goes; a lot of these choices result in combat but it's refreshing to see that some do not. A lot of sci-fi games focus too much on combat but the whole star trek experience is just as much about managing crew and making decisions as it is firing the phasers. FTL is perhaps leaning toward too much combat, but it does make significant efforts to give you other things to do as well - and to good effect. The soundtrack is delightful and the sense that you are in command is palpable. On my last game it was me and Jean Luc (you can name crew members) and we made it alone to stage 4 (of 5) and had some amazing scraps and adventures along the way. We started we 3 crew members (you can recruit more along the way) but Beverly died after we were boarded and the oxygen levels in sick bay dropped to the point where she suffocated. We were really cut up about that but pressed on. It's a great little game - could perhaps have benefited from just a little more depth but as is it's heaps of fun and for the price... you can't lose. Highly recommended. Expand
  29. Jun 23, 2013
    Very difficult true but also very addictive! It does not forgive recklessness, you need to have some tactics. It also requires a great dose of sheer luck, being procedurally generated and all. Just remember to embrace the failure and make it fun. If you are having problems on normal, try easy don't be ashamed, easy in FTL is like hard in other games and normal is insane.
  30. Dec 11, 2012
    This game is so rouge like, I can't get enough of it. I would love to see a sequel. To address the critics, whom are mainly users and not professional reviewers, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.
  31. Apr 1, 2013
    Incredible gameplay! FTL is an easy to learn and incredibly difficult to master game. It has a mix of arcade and strategy elements that I have never seen before. Building your spaceship as you go gives a sense of vested value that matches any RPG. To top it off, the soundtrack is excellent, and the interface is so good it makes you wonder how the AAA titles fail to get it right.

I

I have not played an indie game that comes near as close to FTL.
  32. Oct 2, 2012
    Fun game, have logged ~20 hours into it and for $10 it's pretty solid.

The graphics are simple and easy to understand, the UI is well laid out and lays all need to know information at your disposal, game's got some difficulty and the game's skill/luck system is pretty balanced. The problems are there's just a lack of content for random encounters. After a few replays you start to
    Fun game, have logged ~20 hours into it and for $10 it's pretty solid.

The problems are there's just a lack of content for random encounters. After a few replays you start to see patterns in encounters and know what path to pick even before you read the whole thing. Some encounters just seem predetermined for you to fail or lack any substantial rewards to risk your crew and ship over. It just gets a tad old.

Another problem is un-lockable ships aren't the easiest to unlock and it'd be nice for the developers to include maybe an extra ship or two at the beginning to allow new people for more flexible game play initially. If you've got $10 and enjoy tactical game play with some luck involved, you won't be disappointed.
  33. Sep 18, 2012
    This is a great little game that is impossible to lay down. I started off dying all the time but after a couple of tries I got the hang of it and a better understand of what to do. Now I find it impossible to stop playing and I quite frankly feel that this is one of the most original and fun game I have played in a while. Hands down 10/10.
  34. Aug 2, 2013
    Be warned right away this is a Rogue Type of Game, and you cannot load a save if you die! That said the game is pretty cool. Enjoyed it a lot: there is a development element you hook up you ship, but and sell weapons and augmentations, upgrade systems, etc., your crew also gets experience for performing tasks. There is also the Combat element you battle other ships, loot them, orBe warned right away this is a Rogue Type of Game, and you cannot load a save if you die! That said the game is pretty cool. Enjoyed it a lot: there is a development element you hook up you ship, but and sell weapons and augmentations, upgrade systems, etc., your crew also gets experience for performing tasks. There is also the Combat element you battle other ships, loot them, or run away screaming (since, like i mentioned there are loads!). Then, there is the exploring element you explore the galaxy, pressed by the hostile Rebels, who pursue you throughout sectors; random events spice up the game, and so no. One drawback is that the game is hard even on Easy setting it will take quite a few passes to complete. And the Normal Setting is absurd. I wish the difficulty would be better balanced. Yet again this is a rogue game Overall had a lot of fun with this one! Expand
  35. Sep 26, 2012
    Better than any game I've played this year at a fraction of the price. It offers so many things that the industry seems to be completely devoid of these days. First off, there's an actual learning curve. You have to learn by doing in FTL, and it usually results in a few miserable failures before you have any chance of success. There is no hand-holding, no quicksaving- you're simplyBetter than any game I've played this year at a fraction of the price. It offers so many things that the industry seems to be completely devoid of these days. First off, there's an actual learning curve. You have to learn by doing in FTL, and it usually results in a few miserable failures before you have any chance of success. There is no hand-holding, no quicksaving- you're simply expected to go down with the ship and then give it another go. But when you do, you're prepared for more contingencies. What was your flaw? Did you get boarded and defeated because you lacked a strong crew? Did you over-invest in weapons while neglecting defensive subsystems like shields, engines, and cloaking? And if so, which subsystems should you have invested in? The gameplay is about preparing for contingencies, and there are only so many. Once you learn all of them you can adequately spec your ship to be able to counter all of them. However, the game makes it VERY difficult to cover all of your bases, mostly due to a simple lack of resources and time. Not a single player, no matter how experienced, enters the final boss fight with every contingency covered. And as a result, the final battle is always rewarding no matter how prepared you are.

On top of all that, there are unique random events that can happen in the game that can really change your experience for the better- or the worse. I will always remember an event where my female human pilot was killed trying to save an alien crewmember from a civilian ship- there's no cutscene, no fanfair, just a dialog saying that your pilot is dead and the crewmember survived. That alien crewmember became my new pilot and led us to victory. Sometimes it's more harsh and less dramatic. Find an alien artifact in space? Be careful approaching it. It might cause one of your crew to rapidly age in reverse until they disappear.

There are lots of achievements, which I'm not usually fond of, but in this case I think they complement the game well. Everyone's going to make multiple attempts at the game, so why not make certain starting options unlockables? I really don't mind achievements when they're not half-ass. Either the entire game should be based around them or they shouldn't be there. The designers of FTL seem to feel the same way.

Most importantly, the game offers challenge. The "Easy" gamemode is almost inevitably what everyone will start out with, and everyone will likely die several times on it. The difficulty is what made me nostalgic more than any of the excellent retro music and graphics- what happened to side-scrolling action games without a save option, where the last level was legitimately SCARY just because you were afraid of losing your progress? I haven't felt that way about the final battle in a video game in a long time. In almost every game today, you die at the hands of the final boss- and then you're instantly resurrected in the fight again. For example, I remember in Batman- Arkham Asylum where the best strategy was to die in the second phase of the boss fight, because it would instantly resurrect you during that specific phase with full health. Ridiculous. NONE of that bs in FTL.

FTL is a game about feeling a sense of learning and accomplishment. Victory is only earned through experience and endurance. In your first "winning" game, there will almost assuredly be times when, in any other game, you would have reloaded. A crew member dies to your own negligence; you run out of fuel and have to wait for help; you realize too late that you would've specced differently if you had known better. In any other game you restart. In this game, you keep going. You make it work. After all, it's just a game. Remember when games were like that?
  36. May 20, 2013
    Once bought this game i letterally spent nights on it.
    Have you ever experienced a roguelike? Me myself had in the past, but i couldn't get fun out of 'em, ever.
    Once bought this game i letterally spent nights on it.

This game made me experience the fun behind losing. Because believe me: you are going to lose so many times, and still you'll need to try again. And not in the way "i have to beat this crap!", but instead more something "this one is going to be THE ONE!". And Evrytime in the end you think that you could have done better, so you try again. And you enjoy it, and stick to your tactics which will be proven good or bad only after many trials and errors.

Oh, and the developer is ok with modding, and encourages it. So in the future, the basic game-play of the game (which is brilliant: the fights are really enjoyable and fresh) will experience a more opening to modalities many people felt the game was lacking (i'm quite sure in the future there will be tons of mods on the "privateer" style).

Seriously, you want to buy this game. It's just tons of neverending fun. it's just like old arcades in which you kept on playing for the very sake of becoming better at them! Never felt this sensation since years!
  37. Sep 26, 2012
    Wow. I haven't gotten so immediately and utterly addicted to a game this fast since... Civ II?! It's a little hard at first but once you learn from your mistakes things start going more smoothly. The Faster Than Light webpage has some good Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced tip sections that I highly recommend.
  38. Dec 30, 2013
    Really refreshing and new.I look forward to the free expansion pack coming sometime in 2014. What can I say, it's cool and fun when you try different tactics. It was meant that it should have 8/10, but since the news about the free expansion pack, I give it 9/10

I really like companies, that renew their products, especially when the game, gets older, then instead making a sequence

GGWP Subset!
  39. Nov 13, 2013
    THE..... BEST.... ROGUELIKE.... EVER.... BAR.... NONE.... Amazingly well thought out game where you command a spaceship and given the way roguelikes work it doesn't appear to suffer from feeling horribly repetitive unlike the lions share of this genre.
  40. Jun 4, 2013
    An excellent take on the rouge-like, and possibly the closest we've ever come to how it feels to captain a ship from Star Trek. If you don't love this game and become addicted to it's simple brilliance then you truly have no soul. And FYI, if you can't handle the random encounter generator then you are simply not playing right.
  41. Jan 11, 2014
    Humans are stupid. Giving a game a low score because you can't beat it is stupid. That's not the game, it's you. You can blame bad luck all you want, but using 90% of the ships available I can reach the Last Stand on normal almost every time. At start you will perish, no doubt about it. Spending a lot of time on easy is key; try unlocking all available ships (type A and B) on easy so thatHumans are stupid. Giving a game a low score because you can't beat it is stupid. That's not the game, it's you. You can blame bad luck all you want, but using 90% of the ships available I can reach the Last Stand on normal almost every time. At start you will perish, no doubt about it. Spending a lot of time on easy is key; try unlocking all available ships (type A and B) on easy so that you have a decent arsenal to choose from and you get some game experience. 55 hours in and I'm currently trying to unlock all achievements. It can get repetitive at times but given a few days you'll be coming back for more. Could do with more content, but with the upcoming Advanced Edition update (free of charge) I'll have to return to this review. For the ridiculous prices of the Steam sales, this is a no-brainer. Expand
  42. Mar 10, 2013
    Disappointed that I can not give it a 10, as it lacks such an obvious feature as an open-world sandbox game mode. It could have benefited so much in terms of enjoyment and replay ability through having one.

It does have a tendency towards blind luck reminiscent of text-adventures, but this only adds to the charm. Delightful soundtrack, indulgent retro art stile, solid UI and fun

Delightful soundtrack, indulgent retro art stile, solid UI and fun gameplay mechanics make it one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences out there for the price.
  43. Jun 25, 2013
    I'm so surprised as to how awesome this game is. It has huge replay value, a deep element of strategy throughout and it really made you feel in control of your own spaceship. The art style is simple and the UI, after some getting used to, feels as if everything is where it should be. People seem to complain about the randomness and that the game is too based on luck, but I disagree. MostI'm so surprised as to how awesome this game is. It has huge replay value, a deep element of strategy throughout and it really made you feel in control of your own spaceship. The art style is simple and the UI, after some getting used to, feels as if everything is where it should be. People seem to complain about the randomness and that the game is too based on luck, but I disagree. Most of the time, it is YOUR fault that you fail and though the randomness may end up screwing you over, I see it as learning to make do with what you are given and in fact, this is outweighed by how much good luck you get in the game (like just being given a weapon for no reason). Overall, this game is a ton of fun and though it is very challenging, should be at least tried by everyone. Expand
  44. Dec 12, 2012
    This is a difficult game. When I started, it took me five tries to get to the end on easy. Two hundred hours later, on normal I can finish nearly every time. The fighting looks simple, but if you stick with it you'll find amazing tactical depth.
  45. Oct 2, 2012
    FTL is often referred to as a roguelike, but it's more of a strategy/roguelike hybrid. You control a spaceship and its crew, attempting to outrun a rebel fleet and deliver vital information. On the way you'll face a series of random encounters you'll have to survive, while upgrading your ship and crew as best you can with your limited resources. At first, it all seems overwhelming, evenFTL is often referred to as a roguelike, but it's more of a strategy/roguelike hybrid. You control a spaceship and its crew, attempting to outrun a rebel fleet and deliver vital information. On the way you'll face a series of random encounters you'll have to survive, while upgrading your ship and crew as best you can with your limited resources. At first, it all seems overwhelming, even on easy difficultly. It took me 12 tries before finally getting my first win, but I felt like I learned something I could use going forward with each loss. Each game only takes an hour or two, so even with permadeath, the losses aren't that punishing. There are also a number of unlockable ships and achievements to go for. Although it's not quite as deep as some other similar games, it's still a lot of fun. Expand
  46. Jul 18, 2013
    If you loved the old 90's PC games, this game will be for you. I am spending every night, playing atleast one game. The game is very addictive and while the Steam sale is on, this game is a steal for $3.
  47. Jul 21, 2014
    FTL is a Rogue-like Sci-Fi adventure places you in the Captains chair of a Star Ship managing both crew and ship systems while trying to survive the odds. FTL has substance & style with its 2D aesthetic style, various aliens races & ships and tactical depth makes FTL fun and addictive and a worthy purchase especially on the Steam sales, with the added bonus of benefiting from some decent mods.
  48. Feb 19, 2014
    This is definitely a game for tactical/strategy aficionados. If you don't like challenging tactical games, thsi game is not for you. If you enjoyed playing X-Com on Superhuman or getting through FFT with 2 or 3 characters, this game is right up your alley.

My winning odds on normal nowadays is probably about 2/3 runs. If you really feel this game is too hard or all up to randomness, you either have much to learn or maybe it's just too hard for you. I think the difficulty level is excellent.
  49. Sep 19, 2012
    I write this review 45 hours later... Wait, what? 45 hours?!?

This game sucked me in extremely fast. I didn't buy it until a friend started playing it, and after watching him, I had to try it myself. The game has a very high replay value, but that might be due to the game's quite short playthrough. To start, the game is brutal and unforgiving. Making mistakes will quickly lead to a
    I write this review 45 hours later... Wait, what? 45 hours?!?

To start, the game is brutal and unforgiving. Making mistakes will quickly lead to a game over, and sometimes the RNG plays dirty by giving you time and time again the negative side of every random event. The enemies scale quickly, so you'll need to find a way to keep the pace. The first 10, maybe even 20 times you're going to lose. On easy.

However, once you've got an understanding of how the game works, it's not as random and luck based as people make it out to be. Being tactical about your movements and not taking needless risks will take you consistently to the end of the game. Using resource management for your ship can save you tons of cash that you can use to upgrade other things or purchase more weapons at stores. Playing smart will almost always win, except for the very worst generated maps.

No matter what type of gamer you are, I highly recommend this game. For $10, it's well worth the money.
  50. Jan 2, 2013
    Some people consider the luck-element in this game to be bad, but personally i believe it's great, without it a great deal of the re playability wouldn't exist. and of course this game gets boring after a while, but honestly, after you've spent so much hours into it it doesn't matter.
  51. Jan 22, 2013
    This is a truly excellent game with lovely artwork and an easy pick up & play style. However, it is EXTREMELY difficult. I've been playing it non-stop for weeks since I bought and still haven't beaten it on easy. The randomisation of loot/encounters is done very well so the game never feels unfair but it's still bloody difficult.
  52. Oct 20, 2012
    If you thought Minecraft was the only successful indie-game, then you haven't seen FTL: Faster Than Light. It's a great concept, and I was interested about it when I first saw gameplay of it. Many people would say the graphics in this game are not the best, but I think that the graphics in this game are brilliant. The music in this game is also catchy in my opinion, and it doesn't stressIf you thought Minecraft was the only successful indie-game, then you haven't seen FTL: Faster Than Light. It's a great concept, and I was interested about it when I first saw gameplay of it. Many people would say the graphics in this game are not the best, but I think that the graphics in this game are brilliant. The music in this game is also catchy in my opinion, and it doesn't stress you out. Some scenarios in this game are well thought-out about, and that the unexpected is usually around the corner. You may be boarded by pirates, approaching at a sun, or suffer ion storms on nebula systems. Also, if you die, you may rethink about what you have done to accidentally lead yourself to danger, and you may need to think on picking a different ship in case things go wrong on another one, if you have unlocked one. This is a game which says perfection to me. Expand
  53. Oct 17, 2012
    17OCT2012 - It's an alright game. I wasn't expecting much from this simple looking game but I really enjoyed it. Haven't beaten it yet but I'm still working on it. First impressions for me was that the game looks crappy and a cheap throwback to games from the 1990's. Still though, gameplay is fun and addictive. If the price remains low I would recommend this game.
  54. Aug 9, 2013
    I'll just start off by saying that "Losing is part of the fun", the game itself tells you this. Even if/when you beat the game, you realize it's not a lengthy game. You're meant to play this over and over again.

Because of the randomness, you will have to play several times to get the quests to unlock ships. The reason I have so much fun is because I want to unlock each ship and practice with each one until I beat the game with each ship because that's fun for me. Each ship has a different playstyle and figuring that out is fun.

For people that don't like to try and try again when playing a game should just stay away.
  55. May 31, 2014
    Great indie game, I played it for like 20+ hours and had a lot of fun with it.
    Crew and ship management which are the main parts of the game are very well designed and satisfying. The various encounters and quests are varied and well-written adding surprising level of immersion to the game.
    Great indie game, I played it for like 20+ hours and had a lot of fun with it.
    It's rouge-like nature can be a flaw sometimes. Sometimes even if you are a very good player you lose no matter what, for example you spec your ship into drones, and you find only 1 combat drone through entire campaign failing miserably. Sometimes it also can be too easy, it really depends more on luck than skill.
    The graphics are kinda cartoonish but this is okay in an indie game, though better graphics would make this game way more amazing.
    The music is epic, I listened to it outside of the game more than I played it I think, really immersive, you can find in on youtube and see if it suits your style.
    During the game you unlock new ships and new ships layouts which gives it a lot of replay ability. Single campaign will take you only a couple hours to complete, but it's not a problem thanks to it's rouge-like nature.
    What else...technically it's almost perfect as I did not encounter any major glitches or crashes.
    Also it's modable. There are a lot of good mods out there, mostly adding new ships but also total overhauls worth checking out.

For it's very low price I can't give it any less than 8/10. It's one of the best indie games out there.
  56. Jul 24, 2013
    FTL is a fun and addictive game that will suck hours away from your life but be warned this is not a game for everyone. This game caters to a certain niche of gamers. Those easily frustrated by hardcore difficult games with no clear cut solutions steer clear.
  57. Aug 21, 2013
    How can anyone give this game anything less than a 10? I will be the first to admit that this is my very first experience with a rogue-like, let alone a rogue-like RTS space sim, but I am having more fun with this Indie game than I have had with AAA titles. This is such an amazing concept and the replayability is endless.

I can't recommend this title enough. You have heard it said, "Buy

I can't recommend this title enough. You have heard it said, "Buy this if you are a fan of *insert*, or a gamer in general". Well I say, "Buy this if you are a human being". That may sound silly, but it really is that good.
  58. Sep 18, 2012
    Perfect combination of space warfare and roguelike. Easy to learn, hard to master, unforgiving and rage inducing. Awesome game mechanics, encounters and a lot of routes to take on.
  59. Jan 24, 2013
    I played rogue as a kid, and I really enjoy crawling my way through random dungeon after random dungeon, with no two playthroughs being quite the same. FTL brings back that same feeling, only in outer space, in really cool space ships. The game mechanics are top notch, with lots of depth, but also a fun and intuitive general approach. As a final point, I'll mention that the difficultyI played rogue as a kid, and I really enjoy crawling my way through random dungeon after random dungeon, with no two playthroughs being quite the same. FTL brings back that same feeling, only in outer space, in really cool space ships. The game mechanics are top notch, with lots of depth, but also a fun and intuitive general approach. As a final point, I'll mention that the difficulty level found here is very high, which is a bit refreshing in today's gaming market, but unfortunately, a lot of the difficulty factor is simply luck based. I guess that's a bit unavoidable with randomized maps / encounters, but it does make the game a bit annoying at times. Expand
  60. Feb 4, 2013
    A game with a simple premise: survive long enough so you can get your little spaceship from one side of the galaxy to the other. Overcoming the many obstacles along the way is difficult and may be ultimately too frustrating for some gamers but if you acknowledge the fact you're meant to lose, it's easy to get yourself immersed in this retro-styled starship management game. To sweeten theA game with a simple premise: survive long enough so you can get your little spaceship from one side of the galaxy to the other. Overcoming the many obstacles along the way is difficult and may be ultimately too frustrating for some gamers but if you acknowledge the fact you're meant to lose, it's easy to get yourself immersed in this retro-styled starship management game. To sweeten the pot, each time you play the map it's procedurally generated and the game is also super cheap. Expand
  61. Dec 16, 2012
    FTL is a very strategic spaceship simulator, where you must survive a harrowing trek across the galaxy with an army chasing you down. You have to decide how to configure your ship with what's available, and make tough mid-battle decisions that could mean life or death. And in this game, death is permanent.

This is one of those indie games that gets everything right. The gameplay is lots of fun. It's not hard to learn the basics, but winning is incredibly hard, even on Easy. Luck plays a big part, but skill can offset bad luck. There are lots of ship configurations, and with each, a new way to play. The music is very good, and fitting. The pixel art is beautiful. Controls are fairly easy to use.

I found myself playing this game over and over until finally getting my first win on easy on the 20th try. This game is definitely worth getting, and for strategy fans, it's a must-buy. The soundtrack is also worth the money.
  62. Jun 7, 2013
    FTL: Faster Than Light (because you know you are too stupid to figure out that that is what FTL stands for) is a game that WILL kill you. It will unexpectedly murder knife you repeatedly. 9 games out of 10 it will slaughter you dead. On "normal".

It is the hardest game I played since Baldur's Gate 1. And guess what? Thats what makes this game so frigging fun! While I would

It is the hardest game I played since Baldur's Gate 1.

And guess what?

Thats what makes this game so frigging fun!

While I would liked to have had an "easy" mode in this game, and also the ability to save during a campaign. And I think that the "rebel" fleet should advance a little bit slower than it does.
    I genuinely think this game was probably my best purchase of last year.

The game has its flaws certainly, but it is addictive, challenging, and fun.

I wish the game did a better job of "explaining" itself. What you need to do, why you need to do it, and where you are going; better than it does. But if you have half a brain you will get the hang of it sooner or later.

Worth buying.
  63. Feb 10, 2013
    I've read some reviews warning you about this game to be "random", "unfair" and "stupid" (to name a few). Yes this game is random: Each situation is not from a fixed story line, making you powergame after two playthroughs. Sometimes a situation may be unfair, i.e. you run into an enemy with the perfect counter setup for you ship, ripping you literally apart IF you try to win by any meansI've read some reviews warning you about this game to be "random", "unfair" and "stupid" (to name a few). Yes this game is random: Each situation is not from a fixed story line, making you powergame after two playthroughs. Sometimes a situation may be unfair, i.e. you run into an enemy with the perfect counter setup for you ship, ripping you literally apart IF you try to win by any means necessary. And for the meaning of a game it serves no purpose....but to entertain and challenge you from time to time. It is like playing a card game, sometimes with a bad hand but encouraging you to try hard enough to win anyway. There is no Golden Path to the Holy Grail I beat the game in three totally different ways so far and each of them was fun. If you need to save and instantly load the game after getting hit even once (like in some round based shooter), this game is not for you! BUT: Each Sector you reach should be a checkpoint to retry from there.
    ---
    This game does not teach you how to beat it!? Learn vital upgrades, learn your weapons, learn how to use what you have!
    ---
    This game has no high replayability!?
    Does a "Call of Duty" with no choice at all have that!?
    Different Ships in this game offer you different play styles from the start you may try. A playthrough is about half to one hour, so ideal to get your mid of something.
    ---
    Is the game worth its money? If you see it for 2,49$/€, GET IT!
  64. Sep 16, 2012
    Your a StarShip Captain with direct control over everything.
    Which itself makes it an awesome indie RPG with addictive rogue-like elements. HUGE replayability - 1. There are 9 different ships, each with two different layouts for you to unlock), 2. Randomised events and results. Each choice you make, even though if it was the same choice in your last run , could end up differently for better or worst
    3. A wide selection of weapons for different ships/playthroughs

And you can name your own ship and crew. What more can i say?
    This is all for $9AUD for well over 20+hours of gameplay - and probably more!
  65. Oct 8, 2012
    FTL is one of those games that shows up big budget games with simple engaging game play. It just goes to show you that a game does not need the latest gfx engine or super real rendered characters to be fun.
  66. Sep 26, 2012
    awesome little game, i'm bewildered by the negative reviews...how anyone can criticize this game so heavily is ridiculous I've read their complaints and as a hardcore FTLer of some 89 hours i can tell you most of them are totally unfounded and written by impartial trolls...if you like Sci-Fi and RPG's and don't belong to the "ADD i like my games all graphics and no content and one buttonawesome little game, i'm bewildered by the negative reviews...how anyone can criticize this game so heavily is ridiculous I've read their complaints and as a hardcore FTLer of some 89 hours i can tell you most of them are totally unfounded and written by impartial trolls...if you like Sci-Fi and RPG's and don't belong to the "ADD i like my games all graphics and no content and one button wins" generation, buy it.... its cheap and genius, these guys need to be supported. Expand
  67. Mar 16, 2013
    At long last, a game that doesnt underestimate people. In a time when pretty much every single game takes you by the hand until its very end, its refreshing to play something like this. Yes, you die a lot, and yes, sometimes it does get frustrating, but thats it. The gameplay seems simple yet its fun and addictive, loved the music and really liked the customization of your ship.
  68. Dec 22, 2012
    In a year full of original, old-school games, this is the most original, old-school game I
  69. Oct 20, 2012
    I really liked this game, for a few days. Some people oversell the difficulty, in my opinion, it was too easy. On my very first game, I played on easy setting to learn the mechanics, and made it to the final sector, only to lose instantly when the base was destroyed due to a misunderstanding of the mechanics of the final boss. Every subsequent play-through was on normal difficulty (theI really liked this game, for a few days. Some people oversell the difficulty, in my opinion, it was too easy. On my very first game, I played on easy setting to learn the mechanics, and made it to the final sector, only to lose instantly when the base was destroyed due to a misunderstanding of the mechanics of the final boss. Every subsequent play-through was on normal difficulty (the hardest) and either I beat the final boss, or I completed the achievement I was going for and quit out rather than continuing on. In the 43 games I played of this, my ship has never been destroyed. It is a fun game, I wouldn't have played it 43 times otherwise, but it is short and, once you understand the mechanics, very simple to the point of posing almost no challenge at all to anyone. Fun for what it is, but once I'd seen everything it had to offer, I put it down and haven't had any desire to pick it up since. Expand
  70. Oct 28, 2013
    Amazing game. Best space simulator I've played, and a ton of fun. Hours and hours of playtime to be had. It could use some more content and further expansion, because its a marvelous base. A warning, though, its a killer to people who don't like to think or who can't learn (as witnessed by the few negative comments saying "this is impossible").

It might help to watch a YouTube Let's

It might help to watch a YouTube Let's Play of it before you jump in.
  71. Aug 15, 2014
    TL;DR: the "de facto" best Star Trek style spaceship commander simulator, in a "rogue-light", addictive and challenging gameplay, with undeniable charm, an impressive atmosphere, and absolutely stunning soundtrack. Multiple ships, ship systems, weapons, crew races, expanded upon with the FREE Advanced Edition, provide a variety of play styles and endless replayability.

In FTL you

In FTL you control a medium-sized spaceship and its crew carrying vital data to the Federation fleet. You are being pursued by the Rebel fleet and must stay ahead of it by doing FTL jumps between beacons of each sector and from sector to sector until you finally reach your main fleet. Problem is, it's an hostile universe out there, and you'll never know what you'll encounter on the next beacon...

In the beginning you can pick between multiple ship types (that you unlock as you play), each with different crew compliments and systems that will make for different play styles. The meat of the game plays as a strategy real-time (pausable) "rogue-light", where you control your ship and crew from a top-down view, managing which crew member mans which system (engines, shields, weapons, helm, etc) for a better performance, when and how to fire weapons and also the allocation of power to each system. Crew members of different races have different bonus: one repair systems quicker, one provide extra power to the room they're in, one are excellent fighters, one are immune to fire, etc. You won't have power for everything, and also depending what systems/weapons you have and your crew type, you have to adapt and optimize your strategy and approach to your encounters.

And you'll encounter a lot: other ships, some hostile, some friendly; there's even mini-quests and mini optional "story arcs" that you can go on. Not only that but also dangerous asteroid fields, nebulas that interfere with your shields and sensors, suns that burst out flares and set your ship on fire. The real-time battles, despite being pausable, are usually pretty tense. You'll mostly be trying to damage or disable enemy shields and damaging their systems, such as shields and weapons, until you destroy their ship. Or you can beam up a boarding party, kill everyone and take control of the ship, or you can bypass their shields by hurling missiles or beaming up bombs (limited supply of these), etc. Or you can just run for it if things are too hot. And the best thing is, the enemies can do the exact same things! Battles will damage your systems, breach your hull, ignite fires, and that's where you'll need your best managing skills to keep things under control on the heat of battle. Sometimes things just happen too fast, you were not prepared, and you're blown into oblivion and have to start from the beginning. It's an unforgiving universe... After each battle you win, you can get random upgrades but you'll mostly accumulate scrap, which can be used to upgrade your ship's system and go to stores to buy consumables (like jump fuel and missiles) or weapons and systems; or even recruit more crew members. You'll need scrap badly, but how far is it reasonable to risk potentially lethal encounters on its pursuit?

Between that and much more, like controlling blast doors and managing oxygen supply in case of a fire or breach, or also venting rooms in your ship to put out fires or choke intruders to death, FTL manages to be the most complete and realistic spaceship simulator, Star Trek style, that I've ever know, despite its 2D, top-down, pixel art style. You can only "save&quit", if you lose, you have to start from the beginning. Some "runs" will go better than others, it always depends on your ability to adapt and optimize your play style, but it also depends a bit on being fortunate enough on finding a really good upgrade or weapon after a battle or on a store. That can be a bit frustrating, but you'll learn a lot from your mistakes. And after finishing the game, you'll realize that you couldn't have done it if you hadn't learned so much. So it rewards you for your failures and efforts.

The soundtrack is just absolutely brilliant, one of the best in my memory, being part charming old-school style 8-bit tunes, part dreamy sci-fi space sounds, it provides a unique atmosphere that immerses completely. The overall style oozes charms and tender care, despite being a very challenging and unforgiving game.

With the addition of Advanced Edition, completely free, bringing more races, more ships, more weapons and systems, and also more encounters, the game has an impressive amount of content that can get you on it for dozens of hours. If you like space sci-fi strategy games, particularly commanding ships Star Trek style, this is for you. If you get frustrated easily with a challenge, maybe approach it carefully, but you'll be missing out.
  72. Mar 5, 2013
    Simply love this game. It's pretty hard (atleast, I tend to think so), but so much fun. You mange your crew, weapons, upgrades, and can put out fires in example by opening your doors, which is pretty brilliant.
  73. Sep 18, 2012
    This game is very hard, even on Easy, but persistence to learn the game and sometimes a bit of luck can unlock that ship that can change the entire battle for you. Strangely addicting, built for replayability. Great game!
  74. Oct 8, 2012
    its hard but yeah... It's a roguelike and it's supposed to. There's a bit of luck involved but its really about skills. The targeting system is AMAZING, they should make a multiplayer game with it. The universe is so cool, even with the low graphics you really feel like you're a spaceship captain!!!
  75. Feb 27, 2016
    One of favorite games of all times! Am absolute masterpiece in which personal skill can overcome (almost) any challenge! Atmospheric, great combat, interesting progression, enough randomness to keep things interesting for many many hours (I played for far over 100 hours). Don't give up just because you died a few times, the more you learn the more fun you will have! If you even areOne of favorite games of all times! Am absolute masterpiece in which personal skill can overcome (almost) any challenge! Atmospheric, great combat, interesting progression, enough randomness to keep things interesting for many many hours (I played for far over 100 hours). Don't give up just because you died a few times, the more you learn the more fun you will have! If you even are remotely interested in a challenging but fun game, pick this up. Critic reviews for this game are btw. not representative of the final product, many sites used outdated reviewing system which had to attribute the games "retro" graphics to a lower score thus impacting (unrightfully so) the score negatively (e.g. Gamestars review). Also all the negative user reviews complaining about luck (RNG): honestly if your good at the game, you will most likely win 90% of your runs, no matter the starting conditions. Bad decision making (like also in many other games, like league of legends etc.) will cost you the game even though you "feel" you did the "right" thing, but it actually was just because you made a wrong decision without thinking much. Expand
  76. Dec 6, 2012
    An impressive Indie game which is very surprising: With random sectors generated with each playing, combined with an array of weapons, equipment, encounters and crew which leads along a short storyline which can be completed in several different ways; this truly is a game travelling at Faster Than Light.
  77. Sep 26, 2012
    FTL, while not being quite as complex as one would hope, manages to steal hours of your time, and is overall a lot of fun. The different ships and layouts make for great variation in play style, although they can be difficult to obtain. The randomly generated systems are similar, but vary enough to maintain interest. Of course there are the adverse random encounters that, on certainFTL, while not being quite as complex as one would hope, manages to steal hours of your time, and is overall a lot of fun. The different ships and layouts make for great variation in play style, although they can be difficult to obtain. The randomly generated systems are similar, but vary enough to maintain interest. Of course there are the adverse random encounters that, on certain play-throughs it seems, there is no chance of recovering from. But then, that's part of the charm; you never know if you're going to coast through, or you're really going to have to work for it. No one should be surprised if it seems stale after about 20 some hours of game-play though. Random encounters do become predictable, courses of action all too similar, and the boss is more or less a crap-shoot (which really sucks). This game averages out to about 50 cents per hour of game play, so all in all, I would recommend it Expand
  78. Dec 20, 2012
    One of my favorite indies so far. This game is such a blast and was well programmed and thought out. No bugs, a fluid experience and a fun challenge every time. You either love or hate rogue likes so know that before purchasing. Only way to improve would be to add more content but for the sale price on steam it is an incredible value. Ive put in 38 hours so far and still have yet toOne of my favorite indies so far. This game is such a blast and was well programmed and thought out. No bugs, a fluid experience and a fun challenge every time. You either love or hate rogue likes so know that before purchasing. Only way to improve would be to add more content but for the sale price on steam it is an incredible value. Ive put in 38 hours so far and still have yet to fully beat the game on normal. Trying to collect all the cruisers is a blast as well. Well done. Expand
  79. Sep 17, 2012
    I absolutely adore this game. It gives anybody the chance to nerd out so much and is a perfect example of a community creating a game and making it near perfect. The ONLY thing I can fight bad about this game is that It doesnt give you enough to manage. Just four or five rooms while any extra crew just stands arounds. An amazing rogue-like strategy science fiction game. Even if you don'tI absolutely adore this game. It gives anybody the chance to nerd out so much and is a perfect example of a community creating a game and making it near perfect. The ONLY thing I can fight bad about this game is that It doesnt give you enough to manage. Just four or five rooms while any extra crew just stands arounds. An amazing rogue-like strategy science fiction game. Even if you don't like these kind of games, at least try it because it redifines the genre. Perfect 10 out of 10. Expand
  80. Oct 19, 2012
    I admit that at first glance, I didn't really have much interest for the game. But, I noticed alot of people were praising its unique gameplay. I started to sort of want it after that. I got it as a gift and so I started playing. First of all, the graphics are beautiful and represent this kind of game quite nicely. After I learned how to use strategy to progress through the game, it was aI admit that at first glance, I didn't really have much interest for the game. But, I noticed alot of people were praising its unique gameplay. I started to sort of want it after that. I got it as a gift and so I started playing. First of all, the graphics are beautiful and represent this kind of game quite nicely. After I learned how to use strategy to progress through the game, it was a real swell time after that. The game includes various intriguing situations such as enemy hostiles, helping civilians, trade, exploring, and all sorts of things you would expect if we lived in a Sci-Fi world where we travel the galaxy. If you are a big fan of simulators, and space exploration, then FTL is sure to delight. In the end, I give it a 9/10. Expand
  81. Apr 13, 2014
    This review includes the Advanced Edition. This game is SUPPOSED to be hard. Yes, it is random but that is part of the fun, every play-through is different. Way too many people are addicted to the hold-your-hand mash one button to get through an interactive cut scene type of game these days. Sure I have died a lot in FTL, but if you actually stop to think about what you were doing you canThis review includes the Advanced Edition. This game is SUPPOSED to be hard. Yes, it is random but that is part of the fun, every play-through is different. Way too many people are addicted to the hold-your-hand mash one button to get through an interactive cut scene type of game these days. Sure I have died a lot in FTL, but if you actually stop to think about what you were doing you can figure out a way to deal with that type of situation when you run into it in the future. One of the negative reviews complains that "I ran into a ship with FOUR SHIELDS but I had run out of missiles so it was impossible to win THIS GAME IS BAD". It's not the game's fault for players not being creative or having a slight bit of foresight. I got the game for 10 dollars and have spent more time with it than I have with some 60 dollar titles. It will be in my library for a very long time and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes sci-fi games. Also, it was just released for tablets so my time on the toilet is going to be increasing. With the regular edition I would have given the game a 7.5 or 8 because the number of events was rather low but with the new advanced edition I really feel like the game has enough variety to warrant a 9. Expand
  82. Sep 20, 2012
    Excitement. Strategy. Fear. Hope. Panic. Joy.
    This game has them all and for a gamer who rarely feels moved by a game, it is a shining beacon of hope.
    Simply put, I love FTL. It is a work of art, in both design and execution.
  83. hxf
    Sep 22, 2012
    great "star trek" style rogue like game. a lot of fun and random events plus the different ships you can unlock add a lot of re-playability to this fantastic game. can not wait for more from the developers.
  84. Sep 20, 2012
    It could be a 10 but, although I understand, restarting from the hangar each time your ship explode can be sometimes frustrating. On the other hand, each time I restarted, I never used the same strategies twice; the scrap (money), equipment, crew is randomly generated each time. So you have to make with what you have. In overall, I love the game, graphic are simple and gameplay is great.It could be a 10 but, although I understand, restarting from the hangar each time your ship explode can be sometimes frustrating. On the other hand, each time I restarted, I never used the same strategies twice; the scrap (money), equipment, crew is randomly generated each time. So you have to make with what you have. In overall, I love the game, graphic are simple and gameplay is great. For the price, it's a deal. Expand
  85. Jun 18, 2013
    An amazingly addictive game. There is so much depth, so much variety, and so much risk. You really want to succeed as you continue playing, but the game ramps up difficulty to higher and higher levels. One act of hubris, or one moment of bad luck, and you'll find your ship exploding into pieces. The variety of mechanics all balance themselves out fantastically, and the game never feelsAn amazingly addictive game. There is so much depth, so much variety, and so much risk. You really want to succeed as you continue playing, but the game ramps up difficulty to higher and higher levels. One act of hubris, or one moment of bad luck, and you'll find your ship exploding into pieces. The variety of mechanics all balance themselves out fantastically, and the game never feels like it's getting dull, especially with the constant onslaught of the Rebel Army, which prods you into keeping pace and jumping into the next solar system.

I would probably write even more compliments, but my ship is in Mantis territory, and I don't want to let my crew of five down.
  86. Sep 17, 2012
    I'm a huge fan of roguelikes, so naturally I enjoy this game. So far I've only put about 3 hours into the game and I've been loving every minute. This is definitely a tough game, as any roguelike should be, but it doesn't seem unfair, every failure has been my own fault and it feels good to learn from mistakes and do that little bit better next time. Not that it's a huge difference, butI'm a huge fan of roguelikes, so naturally I enjoy this game. So far I've only put about 3 hours into the game and I've been loving every minute. This is definitely a tough game, as any roguelike should be, but it doesn't seem unfair, every failure has been my own fault and it feels good to learn from mistakes and do that little bit better next time. Not that it's a huge difference, but I'm enjoying the space setting, it's nice to take a break from the high fantasy settings that you typically find. The controls are simple, but the combat is deceptively deep, as is the customization of your ship. Loot abounds as you progress, so there's always something to look forward to, my ship and/or crew rarely stays the same. There's the ability to unlock different starting crews, ships, and ship layouts, though I have yet to unlock any of these yet, I'm interested to see how it affects game play when you start with a different type of ship. I also must mention the soundtrack, it's awesome, I almost wish I had purchased the version that comes with the soundtrack. If you're a fan of roguelikes this is a must buy. If you're not a fan, this may be the game to get you there, as it does have both a normal and easy mode, perfect for a new player to roguelikes. Buy, then die! Expand
  87. Sep 17, 2012
    Nice, decent game play. Rogue like means, every decision or encounter may be the last. No way back. That is what you get with FTL. FTL is a little space strategy game of space combat. Leading your ship and your crew through different space sectors. Manage ship and crew, optimize crew abilities like piloting, engineering, shield operations, fighting. Develop your ship with new weapons,Nice, decent game play. Rogue like means, every decision or encounter may be the last. No way back. That is what you get with FTL. FTL is a little space strategy game of space combat. Leading your ship and your crew through different space sectors. Manage ship and crew, optimize crew abilities like piloting, engineering, shield operations, fighting. Develop your ship with new weapons, drones, missile launcher, support gear and so on. Have friendly and hostile encounters, battle your way back to your home fleet to fight the enemy mother ship and protect your home base.

If you like these sort of (indie) games 10 EUR/DOLLAR won´t be wasted.

While graphics are appropriate, game play and handling is great.

I wonder what be will see next. There is a very high potential.
  88. Sep 17, 2012
    I bought the game on a whim and was very surprised by the level on design that went into a $10 game. It is very challenging and gives you a lot to explore and accomplish. You have multiple choices in equipping your ship and crew that greatly affect your abilities. I have 6 or 7 hours into it so far and still have only got to the final boss once. Not bad for the price of a movieI bought the game on a whim and was very surprised by the level on design that went into a $10 game. It is very challenging and gives you a lot to explore and accomplish. You have multiple choices in equipping your ship and crew that greatly affect your abilities. I have 6 or 7 hours into it so far and still have only got to the final boss once. Not bad for the price of a movie ticket. Wish the easy mode was a little more generous with the scrap and weapons drops. Expand
  89. Sep 17, 2012
    If your looking for a challenging game that requires skill, strategy, and maybe a bit of luck, then this game is perfect. Don't judge it based on the graphics (as I've seen some people doing), but instead judge it on the fact that it's an actual challenge, for instance, when you die you start over from the beginning. Sure, it may get annoying starting over the game from the beginning,If your looking for a challenging game that requires skill, strategy, and maybe a bit of luck, then this game is perfect. Don't judge it based on the graphics (as I've seen some people doing), but instead judge it on the fact that it's an actual challenge, for instance, when you die you start over from the beginning. Sure, it may get annoying starting over the game from the beginning, but the maps are randomly generated leaving you to all new explorations each play through and with ships to unlock, you can explore the galaxy differently each time. You also have control of pretty much everything on the ship, from doors to crew members, to the weapons and power usage of each of your ships systems. Overall, it is a great strategy/star ship simulator that is worth the $10 price tag as the experience is almost always different each play through. Expand
  90. Sep 17, 2012
    This game is an absolute blast and it is a perfect 10 for what it is meant to be. I played it 30 hours over the first weekend that it was available on Steam.

It is quite challenging - even on easy - so be prepared. People who complain about the fact that you can't save/reload progress may be missing the point of this game and why permadeath is important to the fun and replayability. This is not the type of game where you play through it once and put it away - the whole appeal of this game is to try again. Also, for the people who complain about how the game is just grinding to improve stats, I think you may not understand the appeal of RPG games, especially in the classic style.

Flame wars aside, it is a massively good deal for $10 (I got it on sale for $9) and you will get your money's worth. I haven't been this addicted to a game in a long time, so be ready! Oh, and the music is AWESOME!!
  91. Sep 18, 2012
    I started playing and was blown away by the depth this game has. It is not an easy game which is fantastic, the galaxy is random and there are times when even if you do everything right your crew just doesn't survive. But don't worry, a game only takes about two hours and if you die you just grab a new ship and start again! It is not an explore/conquer the galaxy game. One ship, one crew,I started playing and was blown away by the depth this game has. It is not an easy game which is fantastic, the galaxy is random and there are times when even if you do everything right your crew just doesn't survive. But don't worry, a game only takes about two hours and if you die you just grab a new ship and start again! It is not an explore/conquer the galaxy game. One ship, one crew, and you the player pulling their strings to keep them pushing on, fighting through every obstacle to escape the deadly rebel fleet that is chasing you. I will be keeping a very close eye on you from here on out Subset Games, you nailed this one and I can't wait to play what you release next. Hopefully more content for my newest addiction FTL: Faster Than Light! Expand
  92. Sep 18, 2012
    Great game, its repetitive, but addictive. There are plenty of unlocks, and you'll find yourself trying to achieve these sub-goals instead of the main mission. -2 points because the game is missing some flare/personality that would have made it a complete experience. There's really no excuse for not having some character portraits, event art, etc. Also the backgrounds could have beenGreat game, its repetitive, but addictive. There are plenty of unlocks, and you'll find yourself trying to achieve these sub-goals instead of the main mission. -2 points because the game is missing some flare/personality that would have made it a complete experience. There's really no excuse for not having some character portraits, event art, etc. Also the backgrounds could have been better and had some animation to them. It feels a bit 'flat' art-wise, and with all the talent on the net that's just disappointing. Its very obvious they needed 1 more art guy, and you'd think with all that kickstarter money they would have been able to hire someone. If i had pledged money via kickstarter i'd be pissed off, there's really no excuse and its obvious they pocketed the money instead of spending it on dev. Since i paid 9 bucks for the game, i feel like i got my money's worth. Expand
  93. Sep 19, 2012
    Freaking fantastic game. For it's 1st release it has a lot of interesting mechanics and combat that force you to strategist with efficiency or suffer lol. It has high re-playability already but I would like a lot of new features to add flavor to the game. Oh almost forgot the soundtrack is even better than the game lol. All that the game is missing is variety which I'm hoping will beFreaking fantastic game. For it's 1st release it has a lot of interesting mechanics and combat that force you to strategist with efficiency or suffer lol. It has high re-playability already but I would like a lot of new features to add flavor to the game. Oh almost forgot the soundtrack is even better than the game lol. All that the game is missing is variety which I'm hoping will be addressed in the future. Still well worth a 9 even though it is missing content, but what it does, it does well and that is the basic definition of a rogue-like(but with space elements as you pilot your starship). I look forward to moding this game when that's possible, I would like to add more ship designs, weapons, environmental hazards, and quests. Expand
  94. Sep 20, 2012
    Great game. Lots of fun. Can be repetitive, but only if you play without any breaks. Really challenging, but that's what keeps you coming back. My advice? If you feel that repetition wave coming on, go play something else for awhile. Guarantee you'll be biting at the bit wanting to play one more game though, which is why breaks help especially after a long play session.
  95. Sep 20, 2012
    For 9 bucks this game is steal!! Honestly I love this game, I haven' played anything this good and interesting in a years and I've been playing games as far back as 20 years ago, this one stands up with such classics like Civ and Master of Orion. It's awesome how you get control your own little space ship and micromanage the systems and crew, putting out fires by unlocking the airlocks,For 9 bucks this game is steal!! Honestly I love this game, I haven' played anything this good and interesting in a years and I've been playing games as far back as 20 years ago, this one stands up with such classics like Civ and Master of Orion. It's awesome how you get control your own little space ship and micromanage the systems and crew, putting out fires by unlocking the airlocks, sending boarding parties, and trying to knock out the other ships shields, all the while employing different strategies. Should I use drones, or invest in weapons? Shields or faster engine speed to dodge enemy attacks? A cloak shield or teleporter? Which system on the opponent ship should I bring down first? So many decisions and no game is quite the same. The graphics are simple but you soon forget about as you get lost in your own little world, you quickly get attached to your ship and your crew. Some people will knock the repetitive nature or replayability of this game (you can finish a game in 2 hours or less), but you have a lot of different strategies to employ and you can get new ship designs to better optimize those strategies, plus the encounters and weapon drops are random so you never have the same experience each game. As with any game you will get bored eventually, it's just a fact, but for the past week since I've been playing this I'm still eager to play more as I just got new ship designs and for the fact that I only paid 9 bucks for it, the investment has been returned 2 fold. The only reason it's not a 10 is because there isn't a longer campaign mode or just a bit more diversity in events to reduce the repetitiveness, but I doubt the developer will rest on his laurels and I'm sure more gameplay and features are planned. Playing this game has been a revelation and I will not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who likes sci-fi strategy games. Expand
  96. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is definitly why indie games should be supported with Kickstarter. This game shines brightly in the indie genre, a truly unique game. You take control of 1 of 8 ships and you have to micro mange every system of the ship including shields, engines, weapons even sensors and oxygen. Replayability is a whole new level. You also have to escape from the rebels which are hot on yourThis game is definitly why indie games should be supported with Kickstarter. This game shines brightly in the indie genre, a truly unique game. You take control of 1 of 8 ships and you have to micro mange every system of the ship including shields, engines, weapons even sensors and oxygen. Replayability is a whole new level. You also have to escape from the rebels which are hot on your tail all the time so when you approach a new galaxy you have to decide on a route and stick to it. Every galaxy you cross is different each with there own unique situations. Whether its a distress call that you go and investigate or just get across the galaxy as quick as possible every time it's different. This game has great suspense with every move you make, for example when approaching a distress call it could be an innocent mining colony being attacked by pirates or it could be pirates setting a trap. Each decision has a consequence that could be the difference between life and death. Each ship has 2 layouts which vary so that you can decide what you prefer, so altogether there is 16 different ship combinations. There is also an upgrade system in which you buy parts using the currency of scrap. You find scrap by destroying enemy ships or helping out the innocent. You have to manage every minor detail include power distribution, whether you want more power to the engines for evasive movement or more power to the guns for better offense. Lots of different things can happen for example if they hit the engines with a missile then the engine room will explode and the ship will catch fire. You can tackle this in multiple ways, for example you can send one of your crew into the room with a fire extinguisher to put it out however there is a risk to this because your crew members will get hurt and can, in the worse case, die whilst putting it out leaving you a crew member down. Or you can open up exterior doors to drain the oxygen to put the fires out however if the ships door system is also damaged during the fight then this is not possible. So there are multiple ways to deal with every situation its what you decide is best at the time. Altogether this is a fantastic little game that every one should have a go at and really see what indie developers are capable of. Expand
  97. Sep 24, 2012
    Faster Than Light is a sci-fi roguelike that follows in the vein of Star Trek. The objective of the game is to lead your single ship across eight sectors and defeat the boss before the enemy fleet catches up to you. The core part of the gameplay is the ship battles, which is quite variable when it comes to the encounters and strategies to win. Do you want to knock down the shields and ripFaster Than Light is a sci-fi roguelike that follows in the vein of Star Trek. The objective of the game is to lead your single ship across eight sectors and defeat the boss before the enemy fleet catches up to you. The core part of the gameplay is the ship battles, which is quite variable when it comes to the encounters and strategies to win. Do you want to knock down the shields and rip them apart with every laser and missile you've got? Maybe you will take it steady by constantly disabling their weapons, giving them a slow but efficient death. You could disable their oxygen supply and set the medical room on fire so they can slowly burn or suffocate to death, leaving you to salvage a ship still in condition. The variable is vast and the fights are an enjoyable factor of the game that keep you on your toes to make sure your crew comes out unscratched. Outside of the combat the gameplay becomes a little lacking. You try manage scraps to buy new items or upgrade your own ship and try to complete quests or special events for a nice reward. It may come out a bit meager compared to the combat gameplay but it helps provide a little stress relief for the big haul you have to make.

When it comes to the game's design, the pleasant colors and pixels mesh into a simple but endearing style. The music plays off with pleasant and groovy electro tunes that only moderately pick up in tensity when a battle occurs. The game's interface is organized and well-sized, not relying on menu navigation while going through your options.

Being a roguelike, it's to be expected that the game is going to be difficult. And it is. Even trying the Easy difficulty doesn't show me any differences except that I will get more scraps from accomplishing things. The game is more luck than skill. Running into a solar flare that wipes out your crew or having your weapons constantly disabled in a firefight can quickly stop your adventure despite it having just started five minutes ago. This game can become very generous in one session and quite brutal in another. Losing is not just a possibility, it's to be expected. But with a successful run being around 45-60 minutes, it doesn't feel as upsetting when you can quickly get back on your feet for another round. In the chance that you do defeat the end boss and complete the game, there isn't much to go by replay value except unlocking new ships and doing game achievements. Faster Than Light is an enjoyable game that's very easy to learn but very tough to master. The gameplay's simplicity and short length gives it the lethally addictive formula that gives you the desperation to try another attempt at reaching the end. The reward of finally winning completely renews your spirit It's a fun game but a very harsh one. Game price: $10. Worth: Every penny.
  98. Sep 26, 2012
    I hate to admit this... FTL is one of the best games I have ever played. It reminds me of the glory days of old when video games oozed with authenticity, creative vision, and the love their developers put into them. And like the olden days, FTL isn't afraid to give you a challenge. This game will challenge you so much that soon after picking it up all your self-esteem will be sucked outI hate to admit this... FTL is one of the best games I have ever played. It reminds me of the glory days of old when video games oozed with authenticity, creative vision, and the love their developers put into them. And like the olden days, FTL isn't afraid to give you a challenge. This game will challenge you so much that soon after picking it up all your self-esteem will be sucked out into space just like the oxygen in your burning wreck of a spaceship. You'll be wailing and gnashing your teeth as your ship breaks into pieces, all your beloved crew named after TNG characters perish, and you raise your mouse to the sky and scream "noooo!!!".

But just as soon as you quit, you'll suddenly smile and shake your head and say "Ohhh FTL...". A few seconds later you'll be hopping around the galaxy again, bopping to the amazing ethereal chiptune-esque soundtrack, basking in the retro pixel-arty graphics, fretting over every decision, knowing every new jump could result in a shiny new weapon, man-sized spiders, a slave trader on the run, or just .... plain old certain death.

This game makes me feel like I'm 13 years old again. It gives me that buzz in my gut that I haven't had for such a long time, and that I never thought I'd get back again. It's everything that I thought games would be when I "grew up" - except that it looks like a Super Nintendo title. Don't get me wrong about the graphics though. I wouldn't change them for the world, or the galaxy for that matter. They're just perfectly suited to this beautiful, strange little game.

For $10 you'll get to experience the entire spectrum of human emotion, from confusion, love, anger, rage... and back again. I can't recommend it enough.
  99. Sep 30, 2012
    In this game you control a spaceship on the run from the rebel fleet. Your goal is to get to the 8th sector with the information you're carrying but to do that you'll need to outfit your ship for combat along the way. The game is luck driven but once you have a feeling for the game and its mechanics than you can make do with what you have.
    The mechanics are the real highlight of this
    The mechanics are the real highlight of this game. Much of the game will be spent in combat with other spaceships of different alien races and they are all outfitted differently. There are a wide variety of weapons you can buy or find and each have their own tradeoffs. You can blow up the other ship or you can board it and wreck havoc or you can kill the crew with anti-personnel weapons; and you have to remember they will be trying to do all these things to you. Another large part of this game is upgrading your ships systems and subsystems. You can opt for heavy shields, powerful engines for manoeuvring, or a bit of both. This greatly affects how you play the game since scrap(the money of the game) is in limited supply and scrap used on upgrading your medical bay can't be used for the **** In this way ships become very specifically skilled or jacks of all trades. For the above mentioned reasons, this is why the game is tough and gets your adrenaline pumping. You'' often notice a critical shortcoming far to late or have incredibly bad luck. You can easily dispatch another ship only for your own to be engulfed in flame leaving you with one crew member and a wrecked ship that needs to be repaired.
    With all that being said, it does have its shortcomings. In between fighting the game has random events that occur when you jump to a location and these cycle too frequently;although with different ship layout and crew members you may have different options. The sprites for the crew are quite small and it's easy to open a door instead of selecting them and they end up killed by their enemy's hand or some other danger. Opening doors and hatches is also similarly difficult in the heat of battle. There is however a pause function that should be used often to avoid just these sorts of difficulties. You can also be infuriatingly unlucky no matter how much skill you have. Overall, this a very fun game with excellent mechanics. Anyone who as ever wanted to command their own starship is in goods hands with this game.
  100. Sep 16, 2012
    3. A wide selection of weapons for different ships/playthroughs

And you can name your own ship and crew. What more can i say?
    This is all for $9AUD for well over 20+hours of gameplay - and probably more!

1. May 27, 2013
    Fulfill a sci-fi fantasy by becoming the Captain of your own starship! Don't expect great graphics, but do except to lose many hours to FTL and expect to lose your ship ... a lot.
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Kickstarter has accomplished its mission in this one, giving the opportunity to an original, non-mainstream title to go public and meet its well-deserved success. Especially for sci-fi fans, it’s a no-brainer; buy this game at once and live the life of a courageous pilot that only has one mission: survival. [November 2012]
  3. Nov 24, 2012