8.0

1. Jul 22, 2013
    In what seems to be a running theme for Stardock, this game is frustratingly opaque. I love a good 4X game. I've spent hours playing Civs 3 & 4 (plus assorted mods), and have gotten a bit of enjoyment out of Endless Space (after hacking through a number of ill-explained systems).

Perhaps Galactic Civ II is indeed like Endless Space, and you have to spend hours either learning about the game online or having a friend explain it to you to get anywhere. Sadly I just don't have the patience for that sort of nonsense anymore. Want to know what the buildings a future tech will unlock do? No mousing-over for you, you have to instead right-click on the tech and read about it in a confusing menu. The game frequently fails to recognize when you click to select a tech, and uses a bizarre, confusing color scheme to show what you've researched or have selected. Does Stardock have a chronic condition which prevents them from telling me where my production is coming from, using a simple mouse-over? I ran into this issue in Fallen Enchantress and it's present here as well. Another recurrent issue is the game not saying how many turns a certain go-to order will take a unit to execute. I'm not even sure how you automatically resolve go-to orders without first ending your turn. Every other game just carries them out once you've given orders to every unit awaiting a manual move, but not here.

Other issues abound. There are like eight different sliders for tech, money, happiness and production. I'm not even sure what bonuses my approval rating was giving me, since of course there was no mouse-over explaining the statistics behind my production and income figures. Perhaps it was buried under some sub-menu. Starting racial unique traits are very poorly explained, all something like "easily forms coalitions against enemies" is telling me is that I have to go onto some forum to find out what sort of modifier is actually in effect. Some starting civs have outrageously good starting attributes, but are apparently genocidal brutes and don't have a diplomacy modifier listed. Does this mean they can't conduct effective diplomacy at all, or just don't get a bonus? Are the "Extreme Isolationists" actually forced to play as isolationists?
    I guess I could figure all this out after six hours of internet research or whatever, but at this point I'm just sick of 4X games tossing me in a sea of incomprehensible data and expecting me to to visit their official forums or whatever to learn how to play the game. Curse you Stardock for releasing expansions to this game for years without giving it even basic user-friendly menus. If I wanted to play around with confusing spreadsheets I'd open up Excel while blindfolded.
  2. Oct 17, 2013
    I don't understand at all why anyone likes these games from Stardock entertainment sins of a solar empire and galactic civilizations both included. They feel like a student project and not a polished retail product, the gameplay and interfaces are so ridiculously clunky and there is never any synergy or flow to the commands. There are way too many extra wasted units and features thatI don't understand at all why anyone likes these games from Stardock entertainment sins of a solar empire and galactic civilizations both included. They feel like a student project and not a polished retail product, the gameplay and interfaces are so ridiculously clunky and there is never any synergy or flow to the commands. There are way too many extra wasted units and features that don't even feel like they have any use because of the abundance. More content is not always a good thing when the content is piss poor. You can't even land on any of the planets that you encounter even once you have taken them over an "settled" them. The only thing you can do is move along an unrealistic 2-Dimensional plane fixated in space. WHICH ISN"T EVEN HOW SPACETIME LOOKS!!?!?!...it curves more intensely at points of greater mass. This game is a crappy version in "Space" of all it's Strategy/RTS predecessors that brings absolutely nothing new to the table and has a completely bland feel with no characters, story line or anything of any importance that is tangible to relate to.

If you think these ridiculously terrible games are good then please look at all of the Wing Commander games and Homeworld and the years that they came out. Games that still today are even more entertaining than this complete waste of time hunk of crap. AVOID at all costs!

There are no critic reviews yet.