6.4

1. May 20, 2012
    There are certainly issues with the game that show it was rushed. The controls are a bit clunky, the graphics are a tad outdated, and the combat is boring and repetitive. But the story IS very good, the game captures the atmosphere of the books and the tv show, and the characters introduced in the game are memorable. I'd say this game is worth a play if you are a fan of the books and/orThere are certainly issues with the game that show it was rushed. The controls are a bit clunky, the graphics are a tad outdated, and the combat is boring and repetitive. But the story IS very good, the game captures the atmosphere of the books and the tv show, and the characters introduced in the game are memorable. I'd say this game is worth a play if you are a fan of the books and/or the tv show, but not if you aren't... Expand
  2. Jun 4, 2012
    This game surprised me.. in a good way. I really didn't expect to find a good game design and interesting writing in it, but as it turned out .. I did.

The characters are complex, the dialog is good, and the plot interesting. The only problem (s) is the technical part. The game is not optimized, is clunky, animations could use improvement, it needed 3 more months imo to be a 9 product. But I am grateful for it as it is.

I recommend picking it up for 20 bucks, 35 if you're a fan of the series.
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    Graphics and game play is not pretty good, but the story is one of the best in 2012 and if developers had enough money, this game should be one of the RPG's in 2010's
  4. Jan 3, 2014
    Ancillary/contemporaneous story line with 1st season of GOT (for those that watched the series and didn't read the books) that is quite excellent for a video game. Unfortunately the game combat is extremely clunky and badly executed.which is why I'm giving this a 6 instead of a 9 or even 10. The graphics are below average for a 2012 game, but that by itself could have easily have beenAncillary/contemporaneous story line with 1st season of GOT (for those that watched the series and didn't read the books) that is quite excellent for a video game. Unfortunately the game combat is extremely clunky and badly executed.which is why I'm giving this a 6 instead of a 9 or even 10. The graphics are below average for a 2012 game, but that by itself could have easily have been forgiven. Really a great shame, the game had the potential to be a top GOTY candidate if not for its combat clumsiness, but if you're a fan of GOT then you'll "fight" through it just for the story. Expand
  5. May 21, 2012
    The game has some performance issues, thats for sure, but don't let that ruin what is a decent game. As a reader of the books and avid viewer of the television series, I've seriously enjoyed the game. The two (male only) characters have interesting story lines and fill in some interesting details around the time of J. Arryn's death.

That being said, the camera needs series work when

That being said, the camera needs series work when Alester is in King's Landing. The graphics sometimes come across as amazing, I remember a particular sun glare that seemed great, but other times it seems clunky and outdated.

A sequel would have serious potential if consistency could be introduced, the interface was revamped, and the devs took some cues from Oblivion in terms of menus and management. That said, I would recommend fans of Game of Thrones (Song of Fire and Ice series) play the game when it ultimately goes on sale on Steam (at some point) for at least half price. This is not a game worth the full $50.00 given other available ways to spend your money.
  6. Jun 13, 2012
    I have to apologize for my earlier harsh review and a rating of "4" for The Game Of Thrones RPG. This game has many flaws that makes you wish you've never bought it (especially during the first 3-4 hours of play), but it also has a terrific story, which gets better and better with each chapter and makes you turn a blind eye to many of the game's problems.

The graphics look out-dated

The graphics look out-dated (though there are many places in Westeros, that I truly enjoyed visiting), but it's acceptable for an RPG game not to be an eye-candy. There are some _minor_ lagging issues, but other than that - the game's performance is great and there are no crashes whatsoever (hello there, Max Payne 3, I'm still waiting for the next patch;). The combat system is weak, but tolerable. What is truly disappointing is the size of the levels, there is little to explore in the game, even with Alester's R'hllor abilities. The side quests are sadly scarce. But you know what? The story still keeps the game worth playing!
  7. Aug 23, 2012
    Combat's clunky, gameplay is repetative, and graphics are outdated. Now its obvious that this game was rushed to join in the bandwagon that was the success of the TV show. Now why did i give it a 6. Because although gameplay is crappy, it's a crappy game, that tells a good story. I was completely engrossed by the cutscenes and what was enfolding in front of me. If your a hardcore gamerCombat's clunky, gameplay is repetative, and graphics are outdated. Now its obvious that this game was rushed to join in the bandwagon that was the success of the TV show. Now why did i give it a 6. Because although gameplay is crappy, it's a crappy game, that tells a good story. I was completely engrossed by the cutscenes and what was enfolding in front of me. If your a hardcore gamer looking for a fantastic gaming experience, with great combat challenging enemies and tons of action, don't go for it. But if your a casual gamer looking for a good story and a generally fun time, by all means. 6 out of 10. Expand
  8. Jul 21, 2012
    It can't be denied that this game has many flaws. The graphics are dated (they still set the mood very well and succeed in bringing the world to live, though), the camera is a complete disaster, the gameplay is VERY generic and the combat not very varied (partly due to, dictated by the setting, the fact that you almost exclusively fight humans that use no magic...) And still, of all theIt can't be denied that this game has many flaws. The graphics are dated (they still set the mood very well and succeed in bringing the world to live, though), the camera is a complete disaster, the gameplay is VERY generic and the combat not very varied (partly due to, dictated by the setting, the fact that you almost exclusively fight humans that use no magic...) And still, of all the games that I played recently (and those include Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3) this one, despite the worst reviews, I enjoyed the most. By far. Because, simply put, this one didn't care a a bit about the bells and whistles, but it cared about telling a fantastic story. It really cared about the setting, the mood and the lore of the world. It made you immerse into the tale and get to enjoy playing as Alaster and Mors, despite all their vices and failures. And in the end. that's what really counts. No multiplayer, no auction house, but a great story that I can't wait to see unfold. In that, GOT succeeds. Still could live with a better camera, less clunky interface or shinier graphics, though :-) Expand
  9. May 16, 2012
    I think people may forget that story is the point in this game, and that is quite good. I do agree there are very bad textures and animations but it's a good game. Hopefully they will release a directors cut edition with better textures.
  10. Jun 8, 2012
    Outdated. Everything about this game is outdated the graphics, the sound and the combat. A great story (Personally haven't seen this great story people are raving about Has video gaming become so devoid of story that any at all thrills people to there core?) doesn't excuse how average the rest of the game is. without the game of thrones cover this game would not be worth a look. And that'sOutdated. Everything about this game is outdated the graphics, the sound and the combat. A great story (Personally haven't seen this great story people are raving about Has video gaming become so devoid of story that any at all thrills people to there core?) doesn't excuse how average the rest of the game is. without the game of thrones cover this game would not be worth a look. And that's the point I think if you're a fan there is some joy to playing in the world if not skip it. Expand
  11. Jun 7, 2012
    An other trashgame from that masterpiece called got. This game is not even good: bad graphic but this could be acceptable, bad animations, the worst acting voice I've ever seen in a videogame, stupid gameplay (only fights are quite fun and interesting), bad locations. Full of technical issues, like freezes between two dialogues or armor set not correctly shown during cutscenes. The redAn other trashgame from that masterpiece called got. This game is not even good: bad graphic but this could be acceptable, bad animations, the worst acting voice I've ever seen in a videogame, stupid gameplay (only fights are quite fun and interesting), bad locations. Full of technical issues, like freezes between two dialogues or armor set not correctly shown during cutscenes. The red priest is the character with the lower charisma I've ever met in an RPG. And it's a pity cause the storyline is pretty good, but a good story with such a low acting is not enough to buy this. Expand
  12. Mar 17, 2013
    If you can get past the awkward voice acting, combat system, and somewhat dated graphics, the storyline of Game of Thrones is surprisingly good. You play as two separate characters who eventually team up, and run into characters from the books/TV show. A word of warning; the game expects you to be familiar with the setting, so if you haven't read the books (maybe there are a few of youIf you can get past the awkward voice acting, combat system, and somewhat dated graphics, the storyline of Game of Thrones is surprisingly good. You play as two separate characters who eventually team up, and run into characters from the books/TV show. A word of warning; the game expects you to be familiar with the setting, so if you haven't read the books (maybe there are a few of you out there) you might feel a bit lost. Still, for all it's flaws, Game of Thrones is a decent game. Expand
  13. Oct 6, 2012
    It was nice to see the "Game of Thrones" in a really decent RPG game, caught up in her world, the story. It is a pity that this edition of the RPG saga .... is probably not the best idea. Game of Thrones can pull a climate known from the show, or book. It can involve as interesting storyline (which still can not compete with other RPG games, or reading a book or series). Save this gameIt was nice to see the "Game of Thrones" in a really decent RPG game, caught up in her world, the story. It is a pity that this edition of the RPG saga .... is probably not the best idea. Game of Thrones can pull a climate known from the show, or book. It can involve as interesting storyline (which still can not compete with other RPG games, or reading a book or series). Save this game just yet that this year there were not a lot of role-playing games so the game is not specifically what to compete. Many discouraged once the fight, which consists of selecting one of several special attacks. Everything builds to the embrace these attacks, and we have his tactics / strategy. It is a pity that it is so limited, and we are just too small possibility in this fight, and so that is already a little outdated. This game is hard .. when we surprise a few opponents and we do not have a companion, you can restart the moment with up to 10 times. It is a pity that the next attempt to move the book / series to the game was not so successful, you may just let developers do forgive the game based on the novel. My rating -5/10 Expand
  14. Oct 27, 2013
    Now i know that this game is highly hated and i will even admit that it was disappointing but it wasn't a bad game by any means. The story was excellent and offers the player a better experience than other games currently on the market. The textures were nice and well suited for current technology but some character models are sometimes hard to look at (Alester mainly) and some were evenNow i know that this game is highly hated and i will even admit that it was disappointing but it wasn't a bad game by any means. The story was excellent and offers the player a better experience than other games currently on the market. The textures were nice and well suited for current technology but some character models are sometimes hard to look at (Alester mainly) and some were even used more than 10 times. The combat is quite enjoyable except from characters missing their target non-stop and die because of it. In all the game is disappointing but is better than divinity 2 by a long shot and that game deserves to be rated Expand
  15. Nov 13, 2013
    You know what, this isn't too bad. The text is a bit blah blah, I mean, why say one sentence and allow the game and story to move on by itself when 20 sentences will do, and the combat is a bad version of Dragon age, and also I could live the rest of my life without seeing that same death animation again but hey, other than that (and there's a lot other than that) this isn't bad at all.You know what, this isn't too bad. The text is a bit blah blah, I mean, why say one sentence and allow the game and story to move on by itself when 20 sentences will do, and the combat is a bad version of Dragon age, and also I could live the rest of my life without seeing that same death animation again but hey, other than that (and there's a lot other than that) this isn't bad at all. Far from great but worth a punt when cheap. Expand
  16. Apr 25, 2014
    Game of Thrones is a hugely flawed game. Almost everything about it falls short, yet i still relatively enjoyed myself due to the spectacular story. It takes a while to get going, and honestly, it's hard to get in to at the beginning. The voice acting is bad, the animations are bad, the cutscenes are boring, and there is little to no background lore. But once you get about half way throughGame of Thrones is a hugely flawed game. Almost everything about it falls short, yet i still relatively enjoyed myself due to the spectacular story. It takes a while to get going, and honestly, it's hard to get in to at the beginning. The voice acting is bad, the animations are bad, the cutscenes are boring, and there is little to no background lore. But once you get about half way through the long story (it took me 20 hours to play through, including side missions), it really starts picking up and the ending is fantastic. The game is however brought down my just about everything else. In addition to what I've already mentioned, the gameplay is dull, uninspired, and nonsensical. The controls are clunky and confusing. The inventory system is a pain to manage and so is the plethora of skills you are flushed with. You start the game by making a character and choosing a class and skills. Even though there are decent descriptions, you'll have little idea of what your character will actually perform like. the graphics are below average and the sounds quality and effects are just average. You are constantly given multiple chat options throughout the numerous and lengthy chats you'll have with other characters. However, up until the end of the game these options will have little to no actual effect on the game. Make no mistake, there are 2 endings, one for each character, that you cannot change. However, despite all these flaws, I strangely enjoyed the game. I must admit I am a huge proponent of good stories in video games. If you are like me and really enjoy a good story and are willing to put aside the lackluster gameplay to enjoy it, then you can give this game a go. If you're looking for addicting gameplay in a GoT universe, you'll be sorely disappointed. Expand
  17. Mar 24, 2014
    This game definitely suffers from carrying the title of a hugely successful book / TV series. Apart from the disappointing console port of the menus and controls, the actual game play is solid enough and it has a fantastic story.

No world beater by any means but a very enjoyable RPG adventure none the less and even more so for fans of the series.
  18. Aug 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You wonder what goes through someones mind when they give a game such as this 10/10 or 8-9/10. Some of these people may even be Cyanide themselves. It doesn't help the fact that most of the 10/10 reviews are short paragraphs. Seriously, how can anyone take their reviews for granted?

Anyhow, this is neither here or there. Time to review the game!

Cyanide has once again graced us with a Game of Thrones game, this time an RPG. Set just prior the first book of the series, and before the show, the story centers around two characters; Mors Westford and Alester Sarwyck. Each character has a chapter devoted to his story, after you finish one chapter, your transported over to the other character. This continues until eventually each characters destiny collides.

The problem with this is it can quickly become disjointed. One minute, your playing as Mors Westford, and without warning, your transported into the heels of another character, Alester Sarwyck. The problem with this is the story can often get bogged down with needless mechanics such as the borefest that is combat. If this wasn't the case, the switching between chapters wouldn't be so painful.

The games main strong point is its story. At the start your introduced to your first character, Mors Westford. A Nights Watchman, a high ranking ranger within the Nights Watch. Mors is a bitter man, clearly aged but one whose fighting spirit is fierce, and whose honor seems to be intact. Mors is a great character to play, and fun too.
    He's easily one of the most likable characters and a joy to play. He's not very GRRM like, because he's 'far' too likable, but in the end that doesn't matter. Playing Mors is quite fun and it helps the fact that his voice actor isn't too bad either; gruff and mean.

Your second character, Alester Sarwyck, is a red priest whose returning home after spending time away in the Free Cities. It turns out he's actually a powerful noble lord, under the liege of Tywin Lannister. Alester Sarwyck is also another honorable man, but it takes a bit longer to get a feel for his character, but eventually he grows on you.

Both characters are well drawn out, crafted to a fine degree. It's just a shame the other characters you meet on the way haven't been given the same treatment. The game's immersion does suffer however when you hear certain characters speak in a strong scottish or irish accent and in a lot of cases, horrendous voice acting that brings you down a notch.

The main flaw within its story is the dialogue; GRRM would be rolling about with rage if he saw the scripts. Most of the characters come across as one dimensional villains or heroes, with little character depth. The main antagonist in Alester Sarwyck chapters, his brother, comes across as your typical comic book villain. Very plain and obvious that he's the 'bad guy'. If we learn anything from GRRM, is that this isn't always the case with his characters. It's just a shame the writing is poorly done. On the other hand, the plot overall, while not fantastic, does lend itself well to the games overall premise; Playing The Game of Thrones.

It's sad to see so much potential wasted. This could have become a great story driven game, but its constantly slowed down by needless unsatisfying combat that goes nowhere. Mass Effect 2 is prime example of a story driven game that knew how to pace itself. This game sadly fails on that lesson, throwing combat your way just for the sake of combat. Players who pick up this game aren't interested in the RPG aspects of the game. They want story. They want A Game of Thrones, they want to experience the schemes, the plots and the overall backstabbing that goes on constantly. They want to experience the adult themes that are in the books and in the shows.

Sadly none of this comes across, and we are left with a rather dull experience that doesn't capture much essence of the show, or the books. I found myself not interested where I put my skill points. I found myself bored to death with the prospect of exploring for loot, so I didn't bother. Wasted mechanics. The god awful horrendous camera angle doesn't help matters either. The only positive point that this game shines across is when the actual story comes out to play. It could have been better if they focused less on the rpg parts and more on the story.

The maps, or rather, levels that you roam about on are also another failing point. They are badly designed, often confusing the player with linear routes that make no sense. Having a fog-filled map serves no purposes whatsoever other than to annoy the player.

There is a great demon within this game; its called Plot. And Plot is chained down by bad design. If only bad design would release the demon and let it roam free...

Summary:
    Gameplay 3/10
    Sounds 5/10
    Graphics 4/10
    Story 6/10
  19. Jul 21, 2013
    Bought this game after watching the HBO TV series. This game story line is fantastic. With that being said, graphics are not great and not horrible, they are ok. The fighting style is a horrible version of Dragon Age. If it was more like The Witcher 2 style this game would of been almost flawless. Another down is the camera angle. Its not that great, you have to hold the right mouseBought this game after watching the HBO TV series. This game story line is fantastic. With that being said, graphics are not great and not horrible, they are ok. The fighting style is a horrible version of Dragon Age. If it was more like The Witcher 2 style this game would of been almost flawless. Another down is the camera angle. Its not that great, you have to hold the right mouse button down to turn when you run and also with having a high powered pc the game lagged while in buildings no matter what the settings were set at. In my opinion the games worth the money, it took me about 30 hours to beat the 15 chapters. Over all I rate this a 7 out of 10 only because the story was very good. I have over 400 games on steam and its one of the top 3 best story games I have played. This game literally had huge potential to be a top selling game if the graphics and fighting were a lot better and on a different engine rather than Unreal Engine. You can tell this game was rushed in the making while the HBO series was hot. Like I said if you love good story games that depend on your decisions and have different endings this game will be ok for you but if you are into graphics and fighting more than story this game is not for you. Only thing that kept me playing this game to the end was because of the story. Hopefully they can make another game with better fighting and graphics and I would definitely have no problem paying 60 bucks for the game. Expand
  20. Aug 7, 2013
    The game has quite a few voice talents, but the combat system I just can't get behind. It's all based on your armour and weapons for example, those in heavy armour are weak to bludgeoning weapons, those in medium armour are weak to cutting perferating weapons and those with light or no armour, weak to light armour and the difficulty spikes in this game for combat jump all over the place.The game has quite a few voice talents, but the combat system I just can't get behind. It's all based on your armour and weapons for example, those in heavy armour are weak to bludgeoning weapons, those in medium armour are weak to cutting perferating weapons and those with light or no armour, weak to light armour and the difficulty spikes in this game for combat jump all over the place.

It is cool to hear the voices from the characters from the series...despite many of them not looking anything like their actors and the story is engaging, but there are times that it is just far too hard to deal with.
  21. Oct 26, 2013
    As often said, the combar system is horrible.
    Also it's my first RPG for PC I prefered playing with a controller... and I really dislike that. For my personal well-roleplaying-gaming, I need keyboard and mouse.

What makes me rate this game so high is the story. I just love the story. It completly feels 'game-of-throney'. It's dark and mean and sad and beautiful (if you want it to be)
  22. Sep 16, 2013
    No... don't even bother on this. I suggest you simple reread the entire book series over again because this won't suppress your desire for more Game of Thrones material.
  23. Sep 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A somewhat underrated game that revolves around a convoluted story involving the two primary characters, Mors, a former knight who is now a member of the Night's Watch, and Alester, a nobleman who left his ancestral home in Riverspring to become a priest of the fire god Rh'Llor, but has since returned looking to reclaim his lands. The game begins with you playing as Mors in the first chapter and Alester in the next, then alternating between the two. Eventually you will play both of them at the same time later in the game, but otherwise you play one or the other, with 1 other character usually accompanying you, depending on the chapter. A fairly thorough playthrough of the game should take around 40 hours, so it has a decent gameplay length. At the beginning, you choose a class (from a choice of 3) for Mors and Alester, and this determines what combat skills, abilities and fighting styles they can use. Points are then gained each level and these can be used to buy new abilities in your ability tree, similar to Dragon Age. Mors and Alester additionally gain points in their unique special ability trees (Mors can control his dog directly out of combat or issue it special commands in combat while Alester has a number of special fire-related abilities granted by his god). Finally, a number of points can also be spent to improve their skill ratings with specific weapon and armour types (which range from 1 to 100), based on their class chosen. Combat is also fairly similar to Dragon Age, with the biggest hindrance being the lack of an option to zoom the camera. Bringing up your skills wheel to choose specific moves to use in combat slows down the action a great deal instead of pausing it completely, so it can sometimes be confusing to choose your moves quickly and properly while your opponents are still slowly swinging away at you. You can choose up to 3 combat moves at a time which are then executed in sequence, and this uses up your available energy, which replenishes slowly unless you spend a move to use the recover ability. Combat is pretty tough even on the normal difficulty level as you frequently find yourself outnumbered and your health bar depletes pretty quickly, even on higher levels. You can carry healing potions to drink, but the flasks are limited in the game, so you have to conserve your supply until you can get back to a town to refill your flasks. The game's graphics are OK but look probably 2 or 3 years out of date, with low-res textures evident on characters and objects when seen up close. Where the game really shines though is with its compelling (if somewhat depressing) storyline and excellent voice acting (particularly from Mors and Alester), though some of the dialogue scenes can be quite lengthy. Game of Thrones fans should not be bothered by this, however. Other players would doubtless appreciate this game a lot more after some prior exposure to the Song of Ice and Fire books or TV series. Expand

1. Aug 31, 2012
    Fans of the books and the series will be thrilled, as all the classic features are here: multi-faceted characters, schemes, betrayals, incest, twists and genuine anti-heroes that seek redemption desperately, but in vain. [July 2012]
  2. Jul 28, 2012
    If not for its poor technical execution, Game of Thrones would have taken its rightful place in the 80+ range.
  3. Jul 12, 2012
    Far from the RPG that Game of Thrones deserves, but still better than its components have the right to be. [Sept 2012, p.58]