6.3

1. Nov 13, 2013
    You know what, this isn't too bad. The text is a bit blah blah, I mean, why say one sentence and allow the game and story to move on by itself when 20 sentences will do, and the combat is a bad version of Dragon age, and also I could live the rest of my life without seeing that same death animation again but hey, other than that (and there's a lot other than that) this isn't bad at all. Far from great but worth a punt when cheap. Expand
  2. Mar 17, 2013
    If you can get past the awkward voice acting, combat system, and somewhat dated graphics, the storyline of Game of Thrones is surprisingly good. You play as two separate characters who eventually team up, and run into characters from the books/TV show. A word of warning; the game expects you to be familiar with the setting, so if you haven't read the books (maybe there are a few of you out there) you might feel a bit lost. Still, for all it's flaws, Game of Thrones is a decent game. Expand
  3. Mar 24, 2014
    This game definitely suffers from carrying the title of a hugely successful book / TV series. Apart from the disappointing console port of the menus and controls, the actual game play is solid enough and it has a fantastic story.

No world beater by any means but a very enjoyable RPG adventure none the less and even more so for fans of the series.
  4. Jun 8, 2012
    Outdated. Everything about this game is outdated the graphics, the sound and the combat. A great story (Personally haven't seen this great story people are raving about Has video gaming become so devoid of story that any at all thrills people to there core?) doesn't excuse how average the rest of the game is. without the game of thrones cover this game would not be worth a look. And that's the point I think if you're a fan there is some joy to playing in the world if not skip it. Expand
  5. Oct 6, 2012
    It was nice to see the "Game of Thrones" in a really decent RPG game, caught up in her world, the story. It is a pity that this edition of the RPG saga .... is probably not the best idea. Game of Thrones can pull a climate known from the show, or book. It can involve as interesting storyline (which still can not compete with other RPG games, or reading a book or series). Save this game just yet that this year there were not a lot of role-playing games so the game is not specifically what to compete. Many discouraged once the fight, which consists of selecting one of several special attacks. Everything builds to the embrace these attacks, and we have his tactics / strategy. It is a pity that it is so limited, and we are just too small possibility in this fight, and so that is already a little outdated. This game is hard .. when we surprise a few opponents and we do not have a companion, you can restart the moment with up to 10 times. It is a pity that the next attempt to move the book / series to the game was not so successful, you may just let developers do forgive the game based on the novel. My rating -5/10 Expand
  6. Nov 20, 2012
    This is a great game, and I don't understand why the scores are so low. It's not perfect, but the storyline is great (not as good of the books of course), the gameplay is as it should be, the characters are either straight from the book or else made to fit well into the Game of Thrones world. Anyone who loves A Song of Fire and Ice will be sure to enjoy sinking into this creative world. Game of Thrones + RPG = an amazing combination. I hope they make some more RPG styled, Song of Fire and Ice inspired games in the future, cuz anything of equal to better quality to this would satisfy my need for good pc gaming. Expand
  7. Aug 7, 2013
    The game has quite a few voice talents, but the combat system I just can't get behind. It's all based on your armour and weapons for example, those in heavy armour are weak to bludgeoning weapons, those in medium armour are weak to cutting perferating weapons and those with light or no armour, weak to light armour and the difficulty spikes in this game for combat jump all over the place.

It is cool to hear the voices from the characters from the series...despite many of them not looking anything like their actors and the story is engaging, but there are times that it is just far too hard to deal with.
  8. May 18, 2012
    Pros are: story, atmosphere and attention for details, tons of equipment, interesting classes and character customization which change your gameplay significantly. Cons are: graphics, minor glitches like going through doors and strange camera. Not sure about combat, I'am OK with that. 8) Well, as an RPG it worth a try.
  9. Sep 16, 2013
    No... don't even bother on this. I suggest you simple reread the entire book series over again because this won't suppress your desire for more Game of Thrones material.
  10. Feb 27, 2013
    Such a terrible game is not worth such a great licence.
    The graphics are completly outdated, the combat is terrible, the story is the thing that keeps this game out of a negative review, so 0/10.
  11. Feb 16, 2013
    First of all. This games something from your computer. On mine i can run it smooth while some have issues with loading times, graphics and so forth. Storywise this game does not disappoint. G.R.R Martin handwork is very visible and captured well into the game. Camera is ok, not bad for my taste but could use some improvement. Graphics in general are good, combat is wierd but once you get used to it, it´s nice. Voice acting is in grey area. Not best work but certainly not bad either. You can regonize old characters. :)

All in all. This game is good and i judge it by the element it should be judged...Story. Sadly all hate towards this delayed me from getting it.
  12. Jun 4, 2012
    This game surprised me.. in a good way. I really didn't expect to find a good game design and interesting writing in it, but as it turned out .. I did.

The characters are complex, the dialog is good, and the plot interesting. The only problem (s) is the technical part. The game is not optimized, is clunky, animations could use improvement, it needed 3 more months imo to be a 9 product.
    But I am grateful for it as it is.

I recommend picking it up for 20 bucks, 35 if you're a fan of the series.
  13. Jul 21, 2012
    It can't be denied that this game has many flaws. The graphics are dated (they still set the mood very well and succeed in bringing the world to live, though), the camera is a complete disaster, the gameplay is VERY generic and the combat not very varied (partly due to, dictated by the setting, the fact that you almost exclusively fight humans that use no magic...) And still, of all the games that I played recently (and those include Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3) this one, despite the worst reviews, I enjoyed the most. By far. Because, simply put, this one didn't care a a bit about the bells and whistles, but it cared about telling a fantastic story. It really cared about the setting, the mood and the lore of the world. It made you immerse into the tale and get to enjoy playing as Alaster and Mors, despite all their vices and failures. And in the end. that's what really counts. No multiplayer, no auction house, but a great story that I can't wait to see unfold. In that, GOT succeeds. Still could live with a better camera, less clunky interface or shinier graphics, though :-) Expand
  14. Jun 13, 2012
    I have to apologize for my earlier harsh review and a rating of "4" for The Game Of Thrones RPG. This game has many flaws that makes you wish you've never bought it (especially during the first 3-4 hours of play), but it also has a terrific story, which gets better and better with each chapter and makes you turn a blind eye to many of the game's problems.

The graphics look out-dated
    (though there are many places in Westeros, that I truly enjoyed visiting), but it's acceptable for an RPG game not to be an eye-candy. There are some _minor_ lagging issues, but other than that - the game's performance is great and there are no crashes whatsoever (hello there, Max Payne 3, I'm still waiting for the next patch;). The combat system is weak, but tolerable. What is truly disappointing is the size of the levels, there is little to explore in the game, even with Alester's R'hllor abilities. The side quests are sadly scarce. But you know what? The story still keeps the game worth playing! Expand
  15. May 16, 2012
    I think people may forget that story is the point in this game, and that is quite good. I do agree there are very bad textures and animations but it's a good game. Hopefully they will release a directors cut edition with better textures.
  16. Dec 8, 2012
    This is probably one of the most unfairly criticized games I've ever played. Right off the back, don't expect an AAA platinium hit whatever you want to call it modern action RPG. This game isn't perfect by any means. That being said, it is still a very SOLID rpg, with combat that is very reminiscent of what I experienced in Knights of the Old Republic. The character progression is surprisingly good, and they stay true to the source material. I'm a huge ASOIAF fan and it is evident that te people who made this are too. The only reason why this game is rated so low is because kiddies who play Skyrim and Call of Duty or whatever are judging it on it's graphics and strategy-oriented gameplay. This is...a very decent game. Not perfect, not a 10/10 hidden gem like Demon's Souls was when it first came out, but it is far from deserving a negative review. Expand
  17. Aug 23, 2012
    Combat's clunky, gameplay is repetative, and graphics are outdated. Now its obvious that this game was rushed to join in the bandwagon that was the success of the TV show. Now why did i give it a 6. Because although gameplay is crappy, it's a crappy game, that tells a good story. I was completely engrossed by the cutscenes and what was enfolding in front of me. If your a hardcore gamer looking for a fantastic gaming experience, with great combat challenging enemies and tons of action, don't go for it. But if your a casual gamer looking for a good story and a generally fun time, by all means. 6 out of 10. Expand
  18. Jul 15, 2013
    I have wanted to buy this game for some time. I read reviews, saw YouTube and finaly I bought the game few days ago when the Steam 2013 summer sale started. I got the special edition (game all DLCs) at 14.99 EUR. And to be honest, I do not understand such low scores everywhere. The game is everything I expected. A nice RPG, with an excellent story, nice graphics and very nice combat system.
    Many people complain about the graphics. As mentioned, I really find it nice. A typical Unreal 3 engine, no worse than ME2 or 3. I also like the combat system. Intuitive with a vast variety of choices and not only skills, but also weapon types effective against different types of armor. My final score is 8/10 because sometimes there is a slight problem with the camera, but nothing too serious and some of the voiceacting could be better. But all in all, it is a perfect RPG game.
    P.S. I have not read any book and only saw 2 seasons of the TV series, so I am not a fanboy.
  19. Oct 27, 2013
    Now i know that this game is highly hated and i will even admit that it was disappointing but it wasn't a bad game by any means. The story was excellent and offers the player a better experience than other games currently on the market. The textures were nice and well suited for current technology but some character models are sometimes hard to look at (Alester mainly) and some were even used more than 10 times. The combat is quite enjoyable except from characters missing their target non-stop and die because of it. In all the game is disappointing but is better than divinity 2 by a long shot and that game deserves to be rated Expand
  20. Aug 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You wonder what goes through someones mind when they give a game such as this 10/10 or 8-9/10. Some of these people may even be Cyanide themselves. It doesn't help the fact that most of the 10/10 reviews are short paragraphs. Seriously, how can anyone take their reviews for granted?

Anyhow, this is neither here or there. Time to review the game!

Cyanide has once again graced us with a Game of Thrones game, this time an RPG. Set just prior the first book of the series, and before the show, the story centers around two characters; Mors Westford and Alester Sarwyck. Each character has a chapter devoted to his story, after you finish one chapter, your transported over to the other character. This continues until eventually each characters destiny collides.

The problem with this is it can quickly become disjointed. One minute, your playing as Mors Westford, and without warning, your transported into the heels of another character, Alester Sarwyck. The problem with this is the story can often get bogged down with needless mechanics such as the borefest that is combat. If this wasn't the case, the switching between chapters wouldn't be so painful.

The games main strong point is its story. At the start your introduced to your first character, Mors Westford. A Nights Watchman, a high ranking ranger within the Nights Watch. Mors is a bitter man, clearly aged but one whose fighting spirit is fierce, and whose honor seems to be intact. Mors is a great character to play, and fun too.
    He's easily one of the most likable characters and a joy to play. He's not very GRRM like, because he's 'far' too likable, but in the end that doesn't matter. Playing Mors is quite fun and it helps the fact that his voice actor isn't too bad either; gruff and mean.

Your second character, Alester Sarwyck, is a red priest whose returning home after spending time away in the Free Cities. It turns out he's actually a powerful noble lord, under the liege of Tywin Lannister. Alester Sarwyck is also another honorable man, but it takes a bit longer to get a feel for his character, but eventually he grows on you.

Both characters are well drawn out, crafted to a fine degree. It's just a shame the other characters you meet on the way haven't been given the same treatment. The game's immersion does suffer however when you hear certain characters speak in a strong scottish or irish accent and in a lot of cases, horrendous voice acting that brings you down a notch.

The main flaw within its story is the dialogue; GRRM would be rolling about with rage if he saw the scripts. Most of the characters come across as one dimensional villains or heroes, with little character depth. The main antagonist in Alester Sarwyck chapters, his brother, comes across as your typical comic book villain. Very plain and obvious that he's the 'bad guy'. If we learn anything from GRRM, is that this isn't always the case with his characters. It's just a shame the writing is poorly done. On the other hand, the plot overall, while not fantastic, does lend itself well to the games overall premise; Playing The Game of Thrones.

It's sad to see so much potential wasted. This could have become a great story driven game, but its constantly slowed down by needless unsatisfying combat that goes nowhere. Mass Effect 2 is prime example of a story driven game that knew how to pace itself. This game sadly fails on that lesson, throwing combat your way just for the sake of combat. Players who pick up this game aren't interested in the RPG aspects of the game. They want story. They want A Game of Thrones, they want to experience the schemes, the plots and the overall backstabbing that goes on constantly. They want to experience the adult themes that are in the books and in the shows.

Sadly none of this comes across, and we are left with a rather dull experience that doesn't capture much essence of the show, or the books. I found myself not interested where I put my skill points. I found myself bored to death with the prospect of exploring for loot, so I didn't bother. Wasted mechanics. The god awful horrendous camera angle doesn't help matters either. The only positive point that this game shines across is when the actual story comes out to play. It could have been better if they focused less on the rpg parts and more on the story.

The maps, or rather, levels that you roam about on are also another failing point. They are badly designed, often confusing the player with linear routes that make no sense. Having a fog-filled map serves no purposes whatsoever other than to annoy the player.

There is a great demon within this game; its called Plot. And Plot is chained down by bad design. If only bad design would release the demon and let it roam free...

Summary:
    Gameplay 3/10
    Sounds 5/10
    Graphics 4/10
    Story 6/10
  21. Sep 18, 2013
    truly, this is a great game. i love the excessive dialogues, the interesting story and its twists. i haven´t played such a great rpg in years now. so if you can overlook horrible graphics, clunky but challenging gameplay and the missing of comfort options, give it a try. you will not be disappointed.
  22. Oct 21, 2013
    I'm really surprised this game didn't get a better review. Yes it's a bit linear, but some of the different decisions you make can have a drastic impact on that particular chapter. For instance, one chapter lets you decide between knocking out a woman or letting her free, which determines whether you'll be fighting your way through a large area or fighting through it.

The graphics are
    really nice, especially the banners and crests. Some of the armor your protagonists wear is also very badass (Mors family armor especially).

There is a ton of dialog, which is skippable. If you're a GOT geek, you get to learn a lot about some of the other families and the history leading up to the first book/season.

The combat is not nearly as terrible as many people saying. It's basically using a series of moves that combo off each other, similar to how Baldur's Gate type games worked.

I gave this game an 8 because it's legitimately fun. I haven't run into any bugs and the game runs great. I'm close to the end now and am bummed out it's going to be over. One thing I should mention is that this game could have been incredibly epic. It seems like it could have used a bit more time in development to flesh out some of the areas and mechanics.
  23. Oct 17, 2013
    I have no idea what Game of Thrones is. I will only rate this as a PC game. Graphic are very poorly made, they all seem to be pretty basic, there are no effects, or anything to please my eyes while playing. Entire world seem to be weird, like a person who made Game of Thrones was trippin, the in game characters, are completely weird, they are either skinny, and look like skeletons covered with skin, or fat as hippopotamus in clotches. I just uninstalled the game, because I die to often. I have been playing on medium difficulty. Its ridiculous. The combat system is a disaster, you have your character, and an enemy standing in front, and thats it. Just like in plenty of F2P MMORPGs, you get to choose skills, you dont attact, you press 1/2/3 etc. The entire world seem to be caricature. Its uttery disgusting. I heard there is some TV series named Game of Thrones, but after playing this crap, I will stay away from it, from the book too, just heard it exist. This game must have been done by some beginner programmers, or home learner, because its thats poor. The controls, are bad, cant say anything good about it. Tried to liked it, forced myself to play for 5 hours, but I cant stand it. Expand
  24. Dec 23, 2013
    While this game is considered average in many aspects, especially in graphics and voice acting, there are some good facts about it. The story is extremely thrilling and entertaining. The combat system however, feels like any other RPG, but that isn't necessarily bad. Almost all successful RPG-s have a combat system that's alike. Oh look, an enemy, pow pow, dead, end of story. As a gamer who mostly concentrates on the STORY and not on graphics and petty flaws, I believe this game to be far from perfect, but not average either. Expand
  25. Jul 18, 2012
    I'm really enjoying this game! The plot is bar none better than anything I've seen come out in the last 5 years (Skyrim and Dragon Age included). The combat system is really interesting: it's a mix between turn based and action combat systems. You can queue up regular and special attacks and can slow down time a bit while choosing special attacks. I like action RPGs well enough but I also grew up on Baulders Gate type of combat systems and this is a perfect mix. It's not as rigid as something like Legend of Grimlock and it's not as cretin as Skyrim.
    I've seen a lot of negative reviews for the game, so I was hesitant of purchasing the game but am glad I did. I'm confident that those who complained about the combat system are Skyrim-is-the-only-RPG-I've-ever-played neanderthals.
  26. Oct 22, 2013
    I honestly couldn't play it. I don't give it a 0 because I don't know the storyline, neither the combat mechanics or anything else. The only thing I know, is that I couldn't get the amount of bugs and glitches fixed. It's depressing and deceiving.
  27. Apr 17, 2014
    Game of Thrones, an RPG produced by Cyanide Games and published by Focus Home Interactive , is not a new game, nor was a great sales success, not critical acclaimed as the best of the year, nor completely despised. So why am I talking about it now? Two reasons, one because only now did I got it with the intention of playing it, and because another season of Game of Thrones, the TV series, debuted recently. As a game it's quite average, and it just surpasses the two "portents" that inspired it - the collection of books by George RR Martin and the HBO series - in one (sad) way: The game ends (as expected) when of the two protagonists die... Of course, as it is a game, if death occurs somewhere in the middle of the plot you can always load the last save. Okay, that was it. Expand
  28. Jun 11, 2012
    Look I love a good RPG but this game needs to be blown up by a real RPG. I tried very hard to give this game some time but with the long drawn out dialogs and not much action during the 4 mind numbing hours I spent I could no longer take it. In all honesty I felt like I just bought a really expensive audio book. If you like story line then there is plenty of it. I will give them this it is a well written story line, but I was looking for a game. As for when you actually play I was no fan of the combat. You can feel extremely lost for a bit, it takes some time to understand. Graphics are a bit odd I was wondering if it was meant to be out dated from an artistic point or if it was just laziness. So my final thoughts to you all is if your a true fan of the books you have a great story line here as long as your not looking for a full action game as I was this maybe up your ally. Just not mine. Expand
  29. Oct 26, 2013
    As often said, the combar system is horrible.
    Also it's my first RPG for PC I prefered playing with a controller... and I really dislike that. For my personal well-roleplaying-gaming, I need keyboard and mouse.

What makes me rate this game so high is the story. I just love the story. It completly feels 'game-of-throney'. It's dark and mean and sad and beautiful (if you want it to be)
  30. May 30, 2013
    This game is really underrated, the graphics and game mechanics are not so good, there are some issues with the camera and some textures are really awful.
    Yet the quests are not boring and the story is one of the best i have ever seen in a role playing game, i won't forget the characters i played in this awesome story.

1. Aug 31, 2012
    Fans of the books and the series will be thrilled, as all the classic features are here: multi-faceted characters, schemes, betrayals, incest, twists and genuine anti-heroes that seek redemption desperately, but in vain. [July 2012]
  2. Jul 28, 2012
    If not for its poor technical execution, Game of Thrones would have taken its rightful place in the 80+ range.
  3. Jul 12, 2012
    Far from the RPG that Game of Thrones deserves, but still better than its components have the right to be. [Sept 2012, p.58]