6.3

1. Jun 17, 2012
    hugely underrated.best story in a video game. the combat is a poorly-executed version of Dragon Age: Origin's, and is the major drawback here. but if you can overlook this, you'll have a lot of fun.
  2. May 16, 2012
    This game have many little defect, graphics and animation are not awesome, sometime there is issues with the camera ... But I loved this game, the story is just awesome and it was real pleasure to play it. And the most important, you can play a Water Dancer.
  3. May 20, 2012
    There are certainly issues with the game that show it was rushed. The controls are a bit clunky, the graphics are a tad outdated, and the combat is boring and repetitive. But the story IS very good, the game captures the atmosphere of the books and the tv show, and the characters introduced in the game are memorable. I'd say this game is worth a play if you are a fan of the books and/or the tv show, but not if you aren't... Expand
  4. May 17, 2012
    Game runs like a dog on a high end machine (runs skyrim maxed) while having pretty poor graphics. The controls are nonsensical. You spend more time listening to dialog which has no point then actually doing anything. The stats system is awkward. Combat is weird and hard to control. I think I spent more time looking at loading screens then actually doing anything. When I wasn't looking at a loading screen, I was listening to a character preach on about things that have no bearing on the story.

The "tutorial" is awkward, explains nothing, and comes AFTER you've built your character. "I don't know if I want short swords or long swords, I don't know the difference yet.". Building a character starts with a base class - and the three base classes they give you leave a lot to be desired.

Your character is already defined for you in terms of story and personality, so, it's hard to actually feel involved in any way. It's more like you're walking a character between movie segments then actually participating in the world.

Combat is slow, tedious, and primarily involves waiting while occasionally clicking on a skill. There is no actual skill involved. Movement is slow, and fairly painful. The graphics are pretty terrible. Everything is grainy, low resolution, and the characters move like statues. I wouldn't mind poor graphics by themselves, but combined with the absolutely abysmal performance, it's just painful. Either give me good graphics or good performance (preferably both). Giving me neither just doesn't cut it.

Controls are non-nonsensical, and you're given the controls slowly and painfully with huge game interrupting dialogs. Fights with multiple people are difficult. The controls are just sloppy, and unpredictable. For some strange reason, the developers felt a need to put in "Click to proceed" screens pretty much everywhere it was possible for them to. It's ridiculous. The game was a total disappointment. I can see why they didn't release a demo - if they had, no one would have bought it. It's most certainly not worth 50$. It might be worth 7$, but that could be a stretch.
  5. May 20, 2012
    This game is far from awesome but it will satisfy any A Song of Ice and Fire fans out there. The main thing a game with this setting has to do right is the plot, and the plot on this one is great, it basically carries you through the mediocre graphics and generic gameplay. The sound track is pretty good, it complements the setting. About the gameplay you will have a feeling of "been there" if you played Bioware games like "dragon age" before. The combat and dialogue systems are very similar altough much worse executed. It feels like a generic copy. Its not bad gameplay its just not original and it does get a bit repetitive. Summing it up, if you read or watched A Game of Thrones you will enjoy this game. If not, this is a below average RPG and I'd only recommend it if you dont have any other RPG's to play. Expand
  6. May 21, 2012
    Pay no attention to the haters. Despite its several flaws, this is a really good game with an excellent story, very memorable characters, and well designed (though admittedly poorly implemented in some ways) gameplay. If you're a fan of the books, you won't be disappointed by the game. George RR Martin worked closely with Cyanide on the story of this game, and it really shows. It is very much a worthy addition to the A Song of Ice and Fire universe, and it expertly captures the feel of that setting. This isn't some generic high fantasy world with elves and orcs, but a realistic, dark medieval setting where betrayal comes from your most trusted allies, and the good guys rarely win.

True, the graphics aren't very good, and the game is poorly optimized, but honestly, those problems don't count for much in the face of the excellent storytelling and plot, in my opinion. If you want a pretty rpg, go play Skyrim. If you want an rpg with a great story and believable setting, play Game of Thrones.

The gameplay isn't nearly as bad as many are making it out to be. It's very comparable to Dragon Age: Origins, with similar problems (unresponsive controls, not very immersive), but the pacing of combat is very good, and there are a lot of neat skills to unlock. In my opinion, the classes and ability trees are significantly better than those of DA:O.

If you're a gamer who can appreciate a great story and great storytelling, you should really buy this game. If you're a gamer who is also a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire, you should really buy this game. If you're a gamer who can't appreciate nice things, you should probably go back to Call of Duty or whatever other wretched hive of scum and villainy you crawled out of.
  7. May 27, 2012
    You know what... i didn't even notice the dodgy graphics.. I was far too busy fully immersing myself in a fantastic story. As a fan of the TV show I was very excited to see the pre-story unfold.. and felt like i was a part of it. The fight mechanics are different to anything I have played before, but enjoyable. I think i played for about 10 hours yesterday.. and would have played longer if time permitted. Probably better suited to a more mature gamer.. one that likes an involved story, and likes to make decisions that will effect the rest of the game as the story unravels. recommended definitely for G.O.T. fans. Expand
  8. Jun 19, 2012
    This game has a great story thanks to the George R. R. Martin but the story is found in the books where you do not have to endure lousy graphics and weird combat scenes where you find yourself completely lost at times.
  9. Jun 7, 2012
    The biggest challenge for this game to get at least some moderate reviews is that it actually one of the few ones which requers to finish it before thinking giving to it any score. I had quite a few times when I dropped the game because of bad port issues, messy camera and raging loading times, but I could't just let it unfinished because of the story. The story, fastening it's pace from chapted 10 tremedously, makes it all worth it. Witcher 2 had a great story, but it was clunky and lacked personal investment of a player in it, personal feelings. Bioware blue lesbians does't even come in comparison to GoTRPG. This is truly an exellent kind of personal, not save-the-world story, in a grim, rough world, filled with lying scum, merciless brigands and vile political intrigues, where sometimes you start to wonder if in the next chapter it would be your character who would suffer the same ugly fate you give to other just for the sake of your own survival. The game is filled with choices and consequences: from purely cosmetic to ones that would change the way your characters act, NPCs act or how the game would end. GoTRPG is an roleplaying experience that even people who are't familiar with the series would enjoy, because of good filling ins, a codes and because ultimately it's not about Westeros, but about two characters you customise, make choices with and learn what are their fates come to be.
    People who like GORGEOUS FAST PACED ACTION CINEMATIC CUTSCENES may as well go play something else: the graphics in the game is a bit outdated, but details, landscapes and mood completely make up for it; the combat is not hard, but sometimes requers preparation and at least a bit of thinking and pausing; the action is sacrificed for hours of voiced dialogue - superbly written dialogue, by the way. People also bring voice acting as issue, but I enjoyed it very much, because rough, evil and sadistic characters are quite the refreshment from hollywoodish boys and girls people's ears are used to. Mors voice acting is exellent, for example, as well as main villain and some other great characters (like infamous Spider).
    This game's story is a rare black jewel in a world of banal and boring fairytales gamers are used to. Do not miss it.
  10. Aug 23, 2012
    Combat's clunky, gameplay is repetative, and graphics are outdated. Now its obvious that this game was rushed to join in the bandwagon that was the success of the TV show. Now why did i give it a 6. Because although gameplay is crappy, it's a crappy game, that tells a good story. I was completely engrossed by the cutscenes and what was enfolding in front of me. If your a hardcore gamer looking for a fantastic gaming experience, with great combat challenging enemies and tons of action, don't go for it. But if your a casual gamer looking for a good story and a generally fun time, by all means. 6 out of 10. Expand
  11. May 18, 2012
    Pros are: story, atmosphere and attention for details, tons of equipment, interesting classes and character customization which change your gameplay significantly. Cons are: graphics, minor glitches like going through doors and strange camera. Not sure about combat, I'am OK with that. 8) Well, as an RPG it worth a try.
  12. May 21, 2012
    The game has some performance issues, thats for sure, but don't let that ruin what is a decent game. As a reader of the books and avid viewer of the television series, I've seriously enjoyed the game. The two (male only) characters have interesting story lines and fill in some interesting details around the time of J. Arryn's death.

That being said, the camera needs series work when
    Alester is in King's Landing. The graphics sometimes come across as amazing, I remember a particular sun glare that seemed great, but other times it seems clunky and outdated.

A sequel would have serious potential if consistency could be introduced, the interface was revamped, and the devs took some cues from Oblivion in terms of menus and management. That said, I would recommend fans of Game of Thrones (Song of Fire and Ice series) play the game when it ultimately goes on sale on Steam (at some point) for at least half price. This is not a game worth the full $50.00 given other available ways to spend your money.
  13. Jun 3, 2012
    To find the greatest injustices of this year, look no further than the reviews of Cyanide's Game of Thrones. The game resembles its two protagonists great deal - a battered outer shell riddled with scars and blemishes of age hides a heart of gold that is easy to dismiss by a casual glance. The game is very much faithful to the IP - brutally difficult combat, difficult choices with no obvious right or wrong and plot that manages to keep you on your toes.

In this game you can truly not trust the mainstream media or casual gamers. It is very much a game of the olden days, from times when you had to put up with some aesthetic limitations and face actual difficulty. I can very much see what puts off many people: slow start, brutally hard difficulty that provides little tutorial and the lack of polish.

If you can put the small annoyances aside, you'll be rewarded by a diverse character systems that enable multiple approaches, the rare feeling of true accomplishment as you defeat more difficult foes - and most importantly a story that very much resembles G.R.R. Martin on his better days.

If you've gone through some of the classic RPG's of the past decades and are not put off by mature themes and characters, you'll very much find this game a pleasant surprise. If you're looking for visual eye candy, mindless button mashing and infantile ego-boosting - steer away.
  14. Jun 4, 2012
    This game surprised me.. in a good way. I really didn't expect to find a good game design and interesting writing in it, but as it turned out .. I did.

The characters are complex, the dialog is good, and the plot interesting. The only problem (s) is the technical part. The game is not optimized, is clunky, animations could use improvement, it needed 3 more months imo to be a 9 product.
    But I am grateful for it as it is.

I recommend picking it up for 20 bucks, 35 if you're a fan of the series.
  15. May 16, 2012
    I think people may forget that story is the point in this game, and that is quite good. I do agree there are very bad textures and animations but it's a good game. Hopefully they will release a directors cut edition with better textures.
  16. Jun 9, 2012
    Aside from graphics, the game story is catchy. the combat is somewhat broken but story itself and being in the universe of G.o.T was unexpectedly felt good. if you watch the series and wanted to get insight about westeros, I definitely recommend it.
  17. Jun 13, 2012
    I have to apologize for my earlier harsh review and a rating of "4" for The Game Of Thrones RPG. This game has many flaws that makes you wish you've never bought it (especially during the first 3-4 hours of play), but it also has a terrific story, which gets better and better with each chapter and makes you turn a blind eye to many of the game's problems.

The graphics look out-dated
    (though there are many places in Westeros, that I truly enjoyed visiting), but it's acceptable for an RPG game not to be an eye-candy. There are some _minor_ lagging issues, but other than that - the game's performance is great and there are no crashes whatsoever (hello there, Max Payne 3, I'm still waiting for the next patch;). The combat system is weak, but tolerable. What is truly disappointing is the size of the levels, there is little to explore in the game, even with Alester's R'hllor abilities. The side quests are sadly scarce. But you know what? The story still keeps the game worth playing! Expand
  18. Jul 21, 2012
    It can't be denied that this game has many flaws. The graphics are dated (they still set the mood very well and succeed in bringing the world to live, though), the camera is a complete disaster, the gameplay is VERY generic and the combat not very varied (partly due to, dictated by the setting, the fact that you almost exclusively fight humans that use no magic...) And still, of all the games that I played recently (and those include Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3) this one, despite the worst reviews, I enjoyed the most. By far. Because, simply put, this one didn't care a a bit about the bells and whistles, but it cared about telling a fantastic story. It really cared about the setting, the mood and the lore of the world. It made you immerse into the tale and get to enjoy playing as Alaster and Mors, despite all their vices and failures. And in the end. that's what really counts. No multiplayer, no auction house, but a great story that I can't wait to see unfold. In that, GOT succeeds. Still could live with a better camera, less clunky interface or shinier graphics, though :-) Expand
  19. May 22, 2012
    Great game. The story is great. The fighting is pretty good. The choices have actual consequences and the game flows from your decisions. Runs with max settings on my 3 year old laptop with no problems. There are a few minor flaws though. 5 years ago, this game would have looked great. But today the graphics are a bit dated, though why that should matter to a great gaming experience I am not entirely certain since they are not bad. There are also some very minor bugs that do not appear to affect quests but are a bit annoying, nothing as terrible as what most modern games launch with. Overall, a great gaming experience with a few minor flaws. Expand
  20. Aug 19, 2013
    Graphics and game play is not pretty good, but the story is one of the best in 2012 and if developers had enough money, this game should be one of the RPG's in 2010's
  21. Jun 8, 2012
    Outdated. Everything about this game is outdated the graphics, the sound and the combat. A great story (Personally haven't seen this great story people are raving about Has video gaming become so devoid of story that any at all thrills people to there core?) doesn't excuse how average the rest of the game is. without the game of thrones cover this game would not be worth a look. And that's the point I think if you're a fan there is some joy to playing in the world if not skip it. Expand
  22. Oct 21, 2013
    I'm really surprised this game didn't get a better review. Yes it's a bit linear, but some of the different decisions you make can have a drastic impact on that particular chapter. For instance, one chapter lets you decide between knocking out a woman or letting her free, which determines whether you'll be fighting your way through a large area or fighting through it.

The graphics are
    really nice, especially the banners and crests. Some of the armor your protagonists wear is also very badass (Mors family armor especially).

There is a ton of dialog, which is skippable. If you're a GOT geek, you get to learn a lot about some of the other families and the history leading up to the first book/season.

The combat is not nearly as terrible as many people saying. It's basically using a series of moves that combo off each other, similar to how Baldur's Gate type games worked.

I gave this game an 8 because it's legitimately fun. I haven't run into any bugs and the game runs great. I'm close to the end now and am bummed out it's going to be over. One thing I should mention is that this game could have been incredibly epic. It seems like it could have used a bit more time in development to flesh out some of the areas and mechanics.
  23. Jun 11, 2012
    Look I love a good RPG but this game needs to be blown up by a real RPG. I tried very hard to give this game some time but with the long drawn out dialogs and not much action during the 4 mind numbing hours I spent I could no longer take it. In all honesty I felt like I just bought a really expensive audio book. If you like story line then there is plenty of it. I will give them this it is a well written story line, but I was looking for a game. As for when you actually play I was no fan of the combat. You can feel extremely lost for a bit, it takes some time to understand. Graphics are a bit odd I was wondering if it was meant to be out dated from an artistic point or if it was just laziness. So my final thoughts to you all is if your a true fan of the books you have a great story line here as long as your not looking for a full action game as I was this maybe up your ally. Just not mine. Expand
  24. Nov 20, 2012
    This is a great game, and I don't understand why the scores are so low. It's not perfect, but the storyline is great (not as good of the books of course), the gameplay is as it should be, the characters are either straight from the book or else made to fit well into the Game of Thrones world. Anyone who loves A Song of Fire and Ice will be sure to enjoy sinking into this creative world. Game of Thrones + RPG = an amazing combination. I hope they make some more RPG styled, Song of Fire and Ice inspired games in the future, cuz anything of equal to better quality to this would satisfy my need for good pc gaming. Expand
  25. Jun 7, 2012
    An other trashgame from that masterpiece called got. This game is not even good: bad graphic but this could be acceptable, bad animations, the worst acting voice I've ever seen in a videogame, stupid gameplay (only fights are quite fun and interesting), bad locations. Full of technical issues, like freezes between two dialogues or armor set not correctly shown during cutscenes. The red priest is the character with the lower charisma I've ever met in an RPG. And it's a pity cause the storyline is pretty good, but a good story with such a low acting is not enough to buy this. Expand
  26. Jun 2, 2012
    The game's story, and use of the setting's narrative is extremely well done. The combat is different, but once I got used to it, it was adequate. The mythos and world truly shine here. I believe many reviewers came to this product wanting to a role like the machiavellian Tyrion and were let down to some degree because it's a role playing game about two men whom inhabit the world not just the power brokers. I truly enjoyed my experience with this game, and found both characters more compelling then most video game characters to date. The game deserves far more praise then scorn, even though the combat system is somewhat restrictive but fun once you let go of the need for it to be something else. The cities can also be a touch monotonous, with every street being the exact same width and brick work that doesn't scream imagination.
    Still, I am surprised and dismayed the game does not get rated higher for it's ability to draw you into such a thrilling story and setting. I would definitely recommend it for fans of George R. R. Martin's book and show. Highly recommended.
  27. May 26, 2012
    This game has interesting story and that was the main point of developers. Graphics is the worst part of the game but it could be forgiven. I think gameplay is rather interesting, but I don't know for what needs there are money. At the end I had about 100 gold dragons and I didn't know what should I buy at the stores.
  28. Jun 23, 2012
    On the other side of the war, and in keeping with the flames-reflected-in-eyeball motif, Stannis almost strangled Melisandre to death ("Where's your God now?") for what he believed to be false visions. And while he eventually became entranced by a flame, and maybe saw some visions of his own, the thing I remembered most about the scene was the regret and guilt Stannis felt, finally setting in, over killing Renly. Expand
  29. Jul 18, 2012
    I'm really enjoying this game! The plot is bar none better than anything I've seen come out in the last 5 years (Skyrim and Dragon Age included). The combat system is really interesting: it's a mix between turn based and action combat systems. You can queue up regular and special attacks and can slow down time a bit while choosing special attacks. I like action RPGs well enough but I also grew up on Baulders Gate type of combat systems and this is a perfect mix. It's not as rigid as something like Legend of Grimlock and it's not as cretin as Skyrim.
    I've seen a lot of negative reviews for the game, so I was hesitant of purchasing the game but am glad I did. I'm confident that those who complained about the combat system are Skyrim-is-the-only-RPG-I've-ever-played neanderthals.
  30. Jul 19, 2012
    Marvelous! One of the best story in many many years!! It has minor defects, graphics seems to be outdated (but only a little) but THE STORY! Its a RPG - a long one, with many secrets and mysteries, with a very well written main storyline.. Simply Fantastic!
  31. Jun 2, 2012

1. Aug 31, 2012
    Fans of the books and the series will be thrilled, as all the classic features are here: multi-faceted characters, schemes, betrayals, incest, twists and genuine anti-heroes that seek redemption desperately, but in vain. [July 2012]
  2. Jul 28, 2012
    If not for its poor technical execution, Game of Thrones would have taken its rightful place in the 80+ range.
  3. Jul 12, 2012
    Far from the RPG that Game of Thrones deserves, but still better than its components have the right to be. [Sept 2012, p.58]