Gary Grigsby's World at War PC

6.1

1. TrentT.
    Apr 6, 2005
    I picked this game up on sale and I'm glad I did. I'm a big Axis and Allies boardgame fan so this looked great on the box. However, there are many things wrong with the GUI (no way to undo a unit move, no way to conduct an amphibious assault - despite reading the instructions over and over) The units are flat and all the same across the world and the production is non-intuitive. I picked this game up on sale and I'm glad I did. I'm a big Axis and Allies boardgame fan so this looked great on the box. However, there are many things wrong with the GUI (no way to undo a unit move, no way to conduct an amphibious assault - despite reading the instructions over and over) The units are flat and all the same across the world and the production is non-intuitive. The production tutorial doesnt even work. Unfortunately, this game is almost as bad as the recent release of Axis and Allies by Atari a couple months ago! Expand
  2. MikeN.
    Apr 9, 2005
    I was expecting so much more. The game play is unintuitive and unrealistic while the graphics are amatuerish & years out of date. I was hoping this would be a simplified Hearts of Iron, but its a total waste of money. Don't buy this unless you play a demo first. I bought it because of the Gary G. legacy, but don't be fooled like I was!

The actual movement of troops is the most accessible and obviously enjoyable part of the game but the rewards of managing your supply chains and setting production priorities are absolutely undeniable.
  2. It's about as thrilling as you can make learning history without wearing costumes.
  3. PC Gamer
    Much deeper than "Axis & Allies," but just as accessible. A new strategy addiction. [June 2005, p.70]