6.1

1. JohnP.
    Apr 9, 2005
    Great grand-strategic game. I read another vote on here that said there was no way to undo unit moves, ambphib assault - that is flat out wrong. Both of these are quite easy to do. In fact after about 3 hours w/ the game the GUI now seems very good to me, very quick without too much unecessary clicking. Gameplay is fast and fun - and ADDICTIVE. All countries playable across the entire Great grand-strategic game. I read another vote on here that said there was no way to undo unit moves, ambphib assault - that is flat out wrong. Both of these are quite easy to do. In fact after about 3 hours w/ the game the GUI now seems very good to me, very quick without too much unecessary clicking. Gameplay is fast and fun - and ADDICTIVE. All countries playable across the entire world. Supply system is optional but once you are using it brings an entirely new and interesting dynamic to the game. Great great fun game!!!! --John Expand
  2. Chimp
    May 30, 2005
    If you like the board game axis and allies, get this, its pretty much the same. if you want a deep global WWII experience where almost anything is possible, get hearts of iron 1 or 2.
  3. DennisK.
    Oct 28, 2005
    Axis and allies on the pc just like the board.
  4. DanE.
    Apr 13, 2005
    Great game for old school wargaming strategy buffs. Not for the clickfest crowd. Amphib assaults and undoing Moves ARE there. Not a simple game, and maybe too much detail for most. Graphics merely OK, user interface not intuative but learnable. Good strategic decision model, robust logistics, tactics abstracted as they must be at this level. Rewarding but demands some time to learn. Not Great game for old school wargaming strategy buffs. Not for the clickfest crowd. Amphib assaults and undoing Moves ARE there. Not a simple game, and maybe too much detail for most. Graphics merely OK, user interface not intuative but learnable. Good strategic decision model, robust logistics, tactics abstracted as they must be at this level. Rewarding but demands some time to learn. Not perfect, but certainly deserves praise for capturing the global conflict that was WWII in a long evening. More "chrome" would have been welcome, but the basics of WWII grand strategy are here in a playable package. Expand
  5. JasonB.
    Apr 28, 2005
    Very good game, with alot of hidden strategic depth. Pretty easy learning curve with managable game lengths (3-5 hours for a full single player game). The AI is very good, particularly for a grand strategy game, and can play as axis or allies with equal skill. And yes, the manual explains how to do amphibious assaults and undo moves...
  6. TrentT.
    Apr 6, 2005
    I picked this game up on sale and I'm glad I did. I'm a big Axis and Allies boardgame fan so this looked great on the box. However, there are many things wrong with the GUI (no way to undo a unit move, no way to conduct an amphibious assault - despite reading the instructions over and over) The units are flat and all the same across the world and the production is non-intuitive. I picked this game up on sale and I'm glad I did. I'm a big Axis and Allies boardgame fan so this looked great on the box. However, there are many things wrong with the GUI (no way to undo a unit move, no way to conduct an amphibious assault - despite reading the instructions over and over) The units are flat and all the same across the world and the production is non-intuitive. The production tutorial doesnt even work. Unfortunately, this game is almost as bad as the recent release of Axis and Allies by Atari a couple months ago! Expand
  7. MikeN.
    Apr 9, 2005
    I was expecting so much more. The game play is unintuitive and unrealistic while the graphics are amatuerish & years out of date. I was hoping this would be a simplified Hearts of Iron, but its a total waste of money. Don't buy this unless you play a demo first. I bought it because of the Gary G. legacy, but don't be fooled like I was!
  8. Apr 17, 2014
    This is really an outstanding game for those who enjoy a turn based strategy game that is primarily military but also has economic and technological decisions that greatly impact the game. The historical accuracy achieved through random events and timing of nations into the game is also very pleasing. The game accomodates for varying levels of AI competitiveness although it is definitelyThis is really an outstanding game for those who enjoy a turn based strategy game that is primarily military but also has economic and technological decisions that greatly impact the game. The historical accuracy achieved through random events and timing of nations into the game is also very pleasing. The game accomodates for varying levels of AI competitiveness although it is definitely below human level and needs additional resources to complete for more advanced players. I'm yet to try the multi-player which is facilitated via the matrix website. Graphics reflect the age of the game but are servicable.
    Really outstanding game overall that has the best balance of strategic, tactical and economic/technological aspects for WW2 without extreme complexity.

The actual movement of troops is the most accessible and obviously enjoyable part of the game but the rewards of managing your supply chains and setting production priorities are absolutely undeniable.
  2. It's about as thrilling as you can make learning history without wearing costumes.
  3. Much deeper than "Axis & Allies," but just as accessible. A new strategy addiction. [June 2005, p.70]