6.5

1. Jul 9, 2012
    Gemini Wars reminds me of these old school RTS games that had a (real) storyline and objectives, combined with strategic missions.
    I just finished the campaign, and I must say that I'm eagerly waiting for the skirmish mode. Acording to the devs, it's going to be released soon as free DLC.
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Well I'm glad I got this at a discount. I was disappointed in the whole game. Yes it was very buggy, the ships moved like snails in frozen molasses in wintertime. Combat was tedious, Capital ships were not capital ships. I had more use from the frigates than I did from the destroyers. The destroyers had only 40 hit points more than a frigate, wow, with the destroyers only doing 2-4 points of damage per shot it's gonna take a while to kill stuff. With the ships moving so slow? Oh wow. If you like sitting in front of your computer for hours watching ships move off and attack on there own, or attack after they are given a Move order. I wish I could get my money back. This game isn't going to stay on my system for long. Expand
  3. Jul 1, 2012
    The game is a diamond in the rough. The Campaign is challenging and there are some nice details but it's a shame that it has so many bugs. glitches and such an unbalanced gameplay. I recommend buying it but only after they release some major patches...
  4. Mar 15, 2013
    Do yourself a favor and skip this one. I truly regret that I spent my hard-earned money on it. It's just bad, poor options menu, clunky and aggravating interface and camera controls. Every once in a while I buy a game and wish I could return it, this is one of those times.
  5. Nov 14, 2012
    At this time, I give this game a 4. It is basically a beta, and in time could be a fairly decent game. But constant bugs prevented me from finishing the tutorial, let alone the second mission in the campain. the UI is also very clunky and unfriendly. I had to fight the UI and bugs non-stop, some so bad I just quit the game in frustration. Just too fidly, buggy and time consuming for any RTS. What these 8-9 reveiws are doing on here I have NO idea, as this is shareware at best. A diamond in the ruff, but a VERY ruff diamond with many cuts to be made before it is a good game. Expand
  6. Dec 31, 2012
    Beyond the numerous issues with bugs, pathfinding, stupid AI and frustrating mechanics, the basic fact is that the game cheats. While some may find this to be fun and challenging, the developers designed the game so that no strategy will work twice. (There are missions where the AI will overrun you in minutes unless you take advantage of weaknesses in the game's programming). While in many games various hacks given to the AI balance out player intuition, the AI in Gemini Wars doesn't even have to use build structures or pay attention to population caps, and it often warps in ships randomly to support it's existing already-overpowered fleet.

I give this game a four on the following terms:
    The game is a good idea, and it's always nice to see something new in strategy, especially with a campaign. However, along the second half of the game, the opponent changes (the gark) and the game becomes, in all honesty, stupid. I'm irritated beyond belief with the game, and intend on uninstalling it.
  7. Aug 20, 2012
    This guys are the Spartans of rts games, only 3 guys made a game that usually another team of 50 or more and bigger budget would have made. All others should be ashamed, I hope seeing more from these guys!
  8. Aug 5, 2012
    I heard about this indie title and decided to give it a shot.
    It was a great surprise. Even though it has a few flaws, it hardly looks like an indie game at all.
    It comes with a single player campaign with lots of voice acting and cinematics, and skirmish mode with galaxy generator. Even if you're not much into campaigns, it's worth it for the skirmish mode alone.
  9. Aug 24, 2012
    I didn't know about this game until a few days ago. After checking out a few gameplay videos and trailers I decided to give it a go. It was a very nice surprise. It could have a bit more strategic depth, but it's a great game nonetheless.
  10. Sep 1, 2012
    This is a great game that mixes gameplay and storytelling perfectly.
    The strategy level look simple at first, but this is one of those cases "more than meets the eye".
  11. Nov 5, 2012
    While the Steam release brings multiplayer and skirmishing, it feels like a patch job rather than an improvement. The campaign is just as good as it was, but skirmish, at least, is painful.
  12. Nov 5, 2012
    Awesome game. The gameplay is solid. The graphics are good. The storyline is very compelling if not a little predictable. The voice acting is adequate. The only criticism I could offer is that I wish that the GUI was a little more friendly.
  13. Nov 10, 2012
    This is a truly refreshing strategy game from an indie studio. I don't give it a 10, because there are a number of things that could be better. Nonetheless, it's a very fun game to play. Love the story campaign.
  14. Nov 12, 2012
    Excellent game. Love the campaign and the story going along with it. I just with the characters' motivations could be a bit more explored and explained. Skirmish could have more modes too. Other than that, it's a fun and entertaining title.
  15. Dec 2, 2012
    Gemini wars is definitely for an indie game is incredibly ambitious, indeed at the time of playing this, there are flaws (Small bugs with construction, cringe worthy voice acting to name a couple, being unable to save in skirmishes) however at the same time, the potential with a few patches and expansions is there. So Overall, it's a good space based RTS which has charm but needs to improve.
  16. Apr 6, 2013
    Very nice game, albeit a bit hard to get around and controls don't always respond as they should. I found myself enjoying myself with this one, and any game I stick with more than an hour must have something going for it.
    I do think it will take many patches, and updates to make this a truly glitch free adventure, and many glitches it has, I'd say this is more a beta, than a completed
    game. Much polish is needed and hopefully patches will will be frequent, then this should be a very fine game.
    All in all I am impressed with I've played thus far, and would recommend it to others once it is a *finished game.
  17. Aug 11, 2013
    Bought the game for 20$. Began to play, went through the 2 tutorials. Started a skirmish game to get the feel of things.
    First off the navigational controls are the worst I have ever seen in 25 years of gaming, well almost the worst. The zoom in and panning constantly freezes and one must constantly click on other functions to unfreeze the nav.- and no it's nothing PC or software
    related, the game system I am on is a god system with literally the latest of everything 12k rig.
    Ok so the 2nd game breaker is that the speed has only 2 settings, default and 4x. Well the default is much too fast for anyone wanting to do an strategy whasoever, sorry I'm not a teenie bopper joystick jockey.
    So after 1.5 hours trying scoping it out, I have concluded it's not worth further perusing. Deleted from Steam and this is the last I'll think about it. The rest of the game seems interesting, sadly I never got that far. I highly recommend not buying from this Indie until they get the basics figured out, like fundamental navigation for a 4x space game that actually works.
  18. Aug 16, 2013
    Got this game on sale, it was a great finding (never heard about it before).
    It has a couple of minor glitches, but I'm finding it very entertaining so far. Played a couple of missions on skirmish before to get the feel of it, and only then did I start the campaign.
    The first campaign missions begin a bit slowly, but then everything goes up, including the scale of combat.
  19. Aug 21, 2013
    I decided to wait until the end of the campaign to write the review.
    Well I can say that this is a very nice space wargame. It's not a clickfest, and the player has time to plan his moves and manage his forces.
    One thing that could have been better was having special abilities for all ships. Maybe in the sequel?
  20. Sep 22, 2013
    Got this game with discount, well it was a great purchase. It's not a perfect game, as some things could have been improved, but it's very entertaining. If the devs do a sequel improving these things, they'll have a powerful game in their hands.
    I recommend giving it a try.

1. Dec 28, 2012
    Overall a bad game. No pleasure at all in playing it even if you're a huge fan of space RTS.
    As much as I love playing a good RTS game, this isn't one of them. Too many things hold it back from being enjoyable and standing out in a crowd.
  3. Sep 16, 2012
    A solid enough effort, but pacing issues and a sense of obsolescence leave it firmly in 'if you like that sort of thing' camp. [Sept 2012, p.63]