7.8

1. Nov 6, 2014
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is a 2D platforming game whose central mechanic is the ability to switch between two versions of the same stage – a “light” version and a “twisted” version. The game is very mechanically simple, with the main character possessing the ability to move, jump, and use one of two double jumps, in addition to the primary mechanic of switching between worlds. While the idea sounds like it has potential, the game exhausts itself of ideas very quickly. The levels of the game are uninspired and quite long, especially given that the game encourages the player to collect every single one of the many, many hundreds of gems scattered across each level. On the whole, the game is very weak and not worth your time or money.

The gameplay in Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is quite basic. Your character can run, jump, and stomp on enemies to kill them. In addition, your character has two special double jumps – one of them is a jump-twirl, which propels the character upwards an additional distance and allows them to descent at a slower, more controlled rate. The other power is the fireball – your character propels herself a longer distance than the twirl jump in a ball of flame, which can kill enemies you can headstomp on if you hit them with it, regardless of your angle of attack. Both abilities end up heavily utilized – the fireball ability for breaking through walls and bouncing from enemy to enemy, the twirl-jump for navigating several sections of the game – but neither really end up with all that much depth to them. The fireball has the seemingly-neat idea to use it to richochet around off walls, allowing the character to rapidly ascend or descend through narrow passageways, but ultimately, while this seems like a neat idea, it doesn’t really end up being all that meaningful.
    The game takes its name from the ability to “twist” the world around you, switching between the light world version and the twisted world version of the level. This doesn’t really change the level much, but it does cause some platforms to slide in and out of the wall, some hazards to become dangerous or safe, allow for the collection of differently colored gems, and some doors to open and close. The fireball switches the character to the light world by default, while the jump whirl switches the character to the twisted world; however, even in the midst of using these abilities the player can switch back between worlds. The switching is seamless and the world doesn’t change instantaneously in many cases, with platforms and gates taking a short time to slide in and out, and while this is important for a few puzzles, generally it doesn’t matter very much.
    Unfortunately, this is all that there is for the vast, vast majority of the game. In the right hands, this might have been interesting, but unfortunately, the game ends up getting pretty boring pretty quickly. The idea of switching between worlds and using the abilities is introduced across the first two stages, and in the rest of the game, only a single new mechanic is ever introduced, and its use is very intermittent.
    This could have been fine, but unfortunately, the game’s levels have almost no variation at all. There are spikes which kill the player, spikes which only kill the player in one world or the other, enemies who can be stomped on, enemies who shoot projectiles in a straight line and can be stomped on, and enemies who can’t be stomped on at all. There is another uncommon enemy type, which is an enemy which charges at the player when they are stood in front of in the light world, and which hurl ricocheting projectiles at the player in the dark world, as well as ghosts who only pursue the player in one world or the other and who are otherwise invincible (but can be stopped by beams of light, which kill them but primarily serve as a means of preventing the ghosts from pursuing the player into other parts of the level rather than as a means of actually defeating them organically).
    These limited enemy types are hurt by the level design, which doesn’t really introduce many new mechanics at all; there are platforms which rise, fall, or simply fall apart after the player stands on them, and there are arrows which, if the player strikes them with the fireball, launches the player in the direction of the arrow. The levels themselves are not designed in any sort of coherent or aesthetically pleasing manner, with the player making their way through the twisted path of the level, trying to get to the end while just overcoming arbitrary-feeling platforming challenges. I never got any sense of a higher intelligence behind the level designs, and very few of them included anything clever in them at all.

Overall, the game fails to do anything interesting, and ends up becoming boring and repetitive quite quickly. There’s nothing here that hasn’t been done much better in other 2D platformers, and even the game’s presentation isn’t very strong. Not worth your time or money.
  2. May 5, 2014
    This is what Jump and Run should look,Sound and feel like. A wonderfull Game and a must have for everyone.
    Its hard at the end but not unfair. The OST alone ist worth listening !!!
    Dont Read! go an get it! Collect all the Diamonds....
  3. Mar 13, 2014
    I haven’t finished Giana Sisters: TD yet but got through the first boss. I am pleasantly surprised.

Other reviewers have already covered the basics: it’s a mix of old and new school platforming that does a lot of things right. I’d say it’s comparable to Super Meat Boy but GS:TD is a smarter platformer which much better graphics. There is more you can do in this game thanks to the
    ability switching and thus the levels are more engaging to play through with more secret areas to discover. The first few are laughably easy but before you know it the difficulty skyrockets. This is fine, though, because of responsive controls and a generous checkpoint system. You have infinite lives, too, but dying decreases your score. The music is nice and the changing scenery when switching between sisters looks beautiful. It's also very cheap. You get a whole lot for your money.

The only downside I can think of is that there isn’t anything in GS:TD that keeps me glued to my PC. It’s fun but after beating a couple of levels I am usually ready to do something else, and I don’t see myself shooting for perfect scores or trying hard or uber hard mode (but those things exist if you are so inclined). GS:TD is a title I will keep coming back to and playing in gradual doses rather than something I will devour right away b/c I can’t get enough of it. Still, it’s a high quality, well-made game coming from Greenlight/Kickstarter. Much higher caliber than other indie offerings I have played.
  4. Jan 16, 2014
    Did not like enough to finish. It got annoying when I tried to dash in one direction but ended up going in another. Also, it got annoying when a dash would either move you too far or not far enough and then end up dying. I also did not like the underwater parts. You go from face-paced action to slow underwater mechanics where you lose your powers. Finally, it was too easy to miss something you are trying to jump on. Something so basic shouldn't be such a pita. Expand
  5. Jan 10, 2014
    A score of 9 for a platformer seems too much, but, in the end, it gives you what it promised: 40+ hours of fun jumping, changing worlds and... dying. The visuals are very good, not for an indie game, for a platform game of any kind. Music is awesome. Graphics and sound transitions are lovely. One of the things I appreciate more is the difficulty, going from hard to extremely hard in Normal mode. Is like a gold era 2D game but now we have checkpoints and save files, so you can go frustrated, let it for a while, and return when you are ready to the battle. This is a flawless game in its genre, and if you like challenges, you must try this. Expand
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is a very well done remake, with some modern gameplay dynamics that will appeal the player. It's frenetic, it's hard, it's indie: it's a very good platform game! VIRTUALINN.IT
  7. Nov 13, 2013
    Fun platformer with an enjoyable "parallel universe" mechanic. If an old school side scrolling platformer appeals then you'd do a lot worse than pick this up.
  8. Nov 11, 2013
    If you like pressing combinations like jump, switch dimension, jump-glide, switch dimension with exact timing this might be a game for you. I got tired after an hour.
  9. Oct 30, 2013
    If you're in the market for an old-school platformer, but would like the option to leave behind the worst of the old-school difficulty, this game needs to be shortlisted.

Excellent music, beautiful graphics, and dead-precise controls. While there's a some pretty obscene hardcore modes for the no-lifers, they're strictly optional. The achievements and item-collecting are everywhere, but
    they don't tie you down from progressing through the game. There's a wide variety of difficulty available, although the game never truly becomes easy.

All in all, beautiful packaging and polish, and a fantastic job of catering to platformer fans of all skill levels.
  10. Oct 13, 2013
    technical Issues 6 ]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All - 7.9
  11. Oct 8, 2013
    It's hard to believe that this game's idea originated from Mario... But it did. And I won't say that it's as fun as most Mario games, but it certainly does provide some good fun... plus very hard gameplay at times. The game has great visuals, and a funky soundtrack that goes great with it's premise. Although after a long while, you might get a bit tired of it, but if your a fan of platformers, give this game a go. 7/10 Expand
  12. Sep 23, 2013
    A highly dynamic and beautiful platformer. Its gameplay will never let you fall asleep, it contains a variety of difficulties and game modes, so you can find the one that suits you. The game can be hard sometimes,, you can complete it on at least normal mode just by press X to win. A gamepad is highly recommended.
  13. Aug 7, 2013
    A very fun and inventive adventure game. I love how the mechanics work together makeing this game not only entertaining to play, but also difficult in places. Also when you switch between each girl you have different background music which matches the surrounding and the transformation between the two is so seemless too.
  14. AWG
    Jul 31, 2013
    Another average indie platformer where pretty good graphics can't really balance a quite dull gameplay. Games like "Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams" are still praised as masterpieces but fact is they are a dime a dozen.
  15. May 25, 2013
    Really fun casual game with a lot of re-playability. The music is great, and the visuals of the game make it a delight to play. A sonic/mario hybrid with its own charm.
  16. May 24, 2013
    Yo cant beat this game for $4, this is just an enteretaining adventure, just like the nes and snes games. Its not a superb game like megaman or demons crest but it does the job well.
  17. Feb 17, 2013
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams plays reminiscent of an early 32-bit sidescrolling platformer. While it doesn't make much of an attempt to innovate the genre, the game is able to suffice alone on its extremely solid gameplay. Vibrant, dynamically-changing environments in conjunction with a catchy, upbeat soundtrack contribute a great deal to the overall experience to make this one game any fan of the platforming genre should experience. Expand
  18. Feb 3, 2013
    What could the people who leave negative reviews for this game possibly want another 20 years.... oh wait an eternity of Mario games with the same concept. "Oh no! Bowser has taken Peach to his giant spiky castle in the lava world or galaxy" Give me a break people. Start thinking outside the box. The world is thirsty for new ideas not the same prequels remakes rehashes ect.
  19. Feb 2, 2013
    A confusing amalgam of cotton candy fairy tale visuals and "8-bit hard" gameplay. I purchased this game based on the intriguing visuals and interesting mechanic (ability switching) showcased in the trailer. I was surprised to discover that plot had been completely thrown out (magic portal sucks sisters into fantasy land...and GO!). I had expected something more from a game that seemed to be trying so hard to create a stylistic visual world. At its best, it worked for the first 5 levels. The controls weren't ideal, they felt a bit 'loose'. Hit zones felt off, I had trouble determining exactly how close I could brush against enemies, this issue was compounded by the fact that each enemy has 2 forms. Then level 1-6 happens. You realize that the developers now fancy this game as a tight, die-until-you-get-it-right, ninja-fingers test of controller mastery. The only problems are the controls AREN'T tight, the visuals provide so much interference with the tasks and the completion of segments provide no satisfaction. This game has no "easy" mode. If you can't hack it, you'd better just uninstall it. Expand
  20. Jan 9, 2013
    It's a absolutely best platformer for PC for now. I haven't so much fun since playing SuperMario on SNES or SuperFrog on Amiga, when i was a kid. Great music, beautiful, colorful worlds, quite difficult, but not irritating, lot of secret locations. Pure fun.
  21. Jan 9, 2013
    Clearly one of the best platformer choices one can make nowadays. The game has good pace and uses very well the switching methods between 2 characters. You will unlikely get bored playing this one. Soundtrack is pure bliss to listen in both world. Highly recommended game.
  22. Jan 4, 2013
    Excellent. No gimmicks, fluid controls, great gameplay, excellent design, well-managed difficulty (that goes into hardcore difficulty and still cuts the novice some slack) and you'll want to lick the graphics off the screen and stuff your ears full of soundtrack.
  23. Dec 7, 2012
    I think its a good platformer. A great "fairy tale" visuals, nice precise control and charming music. Still game is hard: its easy to complete levels, but getting 5-star rating is tricky.
  24. Nov 24, 2012
    I wasnt sure what to expect with this new episode of the Giana sisters, the DS one had been disappointing for the level design and low difficulty. Well, that was a pretty ****ing awesome surprise. This game is pretty much a super meat boy regarding the difficulty, though you get regular checkpoints to keep the frustration low. There is actually even ONE thing this game does better than SMB, its the boss fight. They are really cool, especially the last one. Overall the game keeps a nice feeling of very good old school arcade platformer while having really clever level design around the twist of jumping from the dark world to the candy world and using their respective special move. I just could not get enough of just jumping from one world to the other just to see how the environment, ennemies and even music would change. Some ennemies even get different behavior when in dark world or candy world. There s a lot of cool ideas and after finishing the game, I feel a lot of them cool be exploited even MORE. The game deserves either a level editor or an extra level pack. ( dont get me wrong, its not short. You ll have enough for your money especially with the time attack, hardcore and few other modes ). Last but not least, the composer is the same one as for the original giana sister game: the awesome Chris Huelsbeck. Its a freaking honor to have him back and justifies the purchase alone IMO :D
    The remixed versions of his music by Machinea Supremacy in the game kick some serious butt as well.

Definitely the best platformer of the year for me.
  25. Nov 21, 2012
    can say nothing about this except that it is damn epic! A mash-up between modern & classic! A good story line and a good adventure! The idea of 2 sisters with completely different magical realities on a fun adventurous quest to save their sister or friend (Not sure which is which since I didn't complete the game yet myself lol). But still! The game is fun! The story line interesting! And if there was a sequel then it would make a perfect series to start with as a franchise :) Perfect quality + Awesome effects! Character design is good, too! So, I recommend playing this with a controller or game pad since it's specifically designed to be running on a PC. So, keyboard controls are a bit hard & takes a while to get used to, so it's why some people usually recommend a PC controller/game pad to play games like this. Overall, price is low, level difficulty increases along your journey, more progression = longer levels + good experience.

In conclusion, a really fantastic game with awesome graphics, epic sprites & effects, epic story, good challenges along the way after adventure mode as well! Not to forget that the music is well-made and really catchy :D! Definitely recommend it to people who want to have fun in such a well-made game such as this! I'm very satisfied and I'll recommend this to my friends + a special thank you to my friend, Nova, who recommended me to play this game and declared it as a pretty fun game! Almost everything in this game is wonderfully epic. A really good job on the work + needs a bit more tweaking but still a really really good game.
  26. Nov 18, 2012
    Challenging and fun as old games used to be, backed by stunning graphics and an amazing soundtrack. Best platform game I played in a while, maybe ever!
  27. Nov 9, 2012
    I love this game! First off- it is gorgeous. The art makes it a wonderful place to spend some time. Add to that the fun twisting-musical score and you are instantly transported into a world that is worth investing some time in. And, do plan on investing some time because make not mistake, this is a challenging game! As a fan of the old-style Sonic games, I was in platformer heaven! The price is extremely reasonable, and that gameplay itself is responsive, logical and, most importantly, FUN! Highly recommended! Expand
  28. Nov 8, 2012
    To keep a long review short. This game is FANTASTIC.

In it's core it's a true 2D platformer, however the graphics are stunning. This with the help of DX9 or DX11. I love the way how the backgrounds switch from lovely smurf land to hell. This including the music. The level's it self goes from way to easy to uberhardcore 2D platform frustration ala Super Meat Boy. You will die... a lot!

The music, this is a true feast for the ear, with old style tunes from Chris Hulsbeck and hardcore punk from Machinae Supremacy mixxed together..... WOUW!!

Anyway I totally recommand this game to anyone who has a slight love for platforming games.
  29. Nov 3, 2012
    What a pleasant surprise! I was fully expecting a run-of-the-mill, neither-here-or-there indie platformer, but I was absolutely blown away (and I'm a hard one to please too). The controls are incredibly solid, the gameplay is fun, the dual worlds mechanic doesn't become a tiresome gimmick, the difficulty is just right... the bosses will make you gouge your eyes out at times... which makes it so much more fun! All in all, congratulations to the dev team on this gem. The game is especially a treat if you've played the original Giana Sisters in 25 years ago, the musical score will bring you more than a little nostalgia. Expand
  30. Oct 27, 2012
    Really happy to see the final result of the game. From all the games I backed on kickstarter,it's the first one I recieve, and I'm really surprised by the quality of the game which is much higher than what I was expecting.
    All aspects are good. There's really nothing to complain about. Price is low for what you get.
    We need more games like that on Pc.

1. May 7, 2013
    Twisted Dreams is as old school as it gets. It’s also long and offers some additional modes for really hardcore gamers who should like Black Forest’s platformer. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.73]
  2. Feb 1, 2013
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams may provide a few hours of polished puzzle-platforming, but don't be surprised if you ultimately end up estranged.[March 2013, p.65]
  3. Jan 19, 2013
    Fans of the Giana Sisters likely Kickstarted this game, thus earning a copy of it in the process. However, for those who don't already own a copy, there's no way that I can recommend it without it weighing on my conscience. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is simply not worth the time.