Girl With a Heart of PC

tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 1 more rating

1. Dec 29, 2011
    The heart of this game is role-reversal. You play on the dark side vs the light, people who you think you can trust you can't, etc. Like most small development teams this game suffers from ambitious concept and poor execution. The graphics are serviceable and the plot engaging enough that I played it though to the end. Yet the interesting character customization has no impact on game playThe heart of this game is role-reversal. You play on the dark side vs the light, people who you think you can trust you can't, etc. Like most small development teams this game suffers from ambitious concept and poor execution. The graphics are serviceable and the plot engaging enough that I played it though to the end. Yet the interesting character customization has no impact on game play so you spend time doing stuff that frankly doesn't advance the story. You go through an extensive training session to learn magic and skills and then there are only three battles in the entire game! I got this game for free so I can't complain on the cost. But honestly, even for free there are better things to do with one's time. Expand
  2. May 28, 2013
    I'll start with the Pros:
    Quality art
    Interesting underlying story, if you can get past the preachy dialogue Sound was decent. Cool story-changing choice mechanics Cons: The art, while high-quality for a small-team indie game, is bizarre. The game plays on light/dark, and instead of representing it normally, the different types are drawn in a strange photoshop-inverse style. Really
    I'll start with the Pros:
    Quality art
    Interesting underlying story, if you can get past the preachy dialogue
    Sound was decent.
    Cool story-changing choice mechanics
    Cons:
    The art, while high-quality for a small-team indie game, is bizarre. The game plays on light/dark, and instead of representing it normally, the different types are drawn in a strange photoshop-inverse style. Really didn't like it, and it was distractingly ugly in cutscenes.
    Dialogue: The dialogue was really pretentious. Often it felt like the author was trying to preach to the player instead of telling a story. Conversations felt like notes out of a textbook instead of dialogue.
    Combat: Combat is underused and really boring. Why include it at all?
    Text: Some of the worst text in a game of this kind I've ever seen. Purple on black, odd placement, hard to read.

I really enjoy these types of games usually, but this one fell flat to me. I left feeling underwhelmed and kinda angry due to the preachy dialogue. Some of the endings were interesting, but they really should hire a new writer for the next game they do.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Jan 10, 2012
    For those wishing to concentrate solely on a story you have some influence over, the experience may prove worthwhile during the few hours it takes to complete the first time through (with diminishing returns on each replay). For those seeking a playable challenge to go with the tale, however, there isn't a whole lot here to get your blood pumping.
  2. CD-Action
    Dec 27, 2011
    However its production values are very low, this game did impress me with an emotional story and tough moral choices it forced me to make. [January 2012, p.73]
  3. Nov 28, 2011
    Girl With A Heart Of is a decent first game that, sadly, has a number of flaws preventing it from achieving greatness.