6.9

1. Apr 20, 2013
    For the price there really is no complaining. It plays a bit like a 3rd person serious sam in that there's a lot of backpedaling if you want to survive.
    I recommend you play it for at very least an hour on the lowest difficulty with not modifiers, as it's extremely tricky to beat any level without any kind of upgrades. After you've settled in a bit it really starts to shine, and I'm
    hooked.
    The Tests of Faith (randomly selected game modifier: think Unreal Tournament mutators) keep the gameplay very interesting, and since they're random, it makes each playthrough of the same map quite different. As your character levels up, you can venture into the silver and gold difficulties, which provide you with even more tests of faith.
    Being such a low priced game, you'd expect a few issues. Among them are slightly intrusive animations (ie melee attacks stop your character dead and take just a little bit too long. Same goes for Getting up), and the occasional bug with weapons (reloaded a 6 round revolver once to hear the sound for a shotgun reload and 8 bullets in the cylinder).

So bottom line: this game is everything the devs describe it as. It's slightly polished, but if you expect a technical AAA masterpiece for £7 then you're just being ridiculous. This game mainly shines not because of its polish, but because of its creative mechanics, gameplay, and surprisingly effective progression system.
  2. Apr 19, 2013
    For $8.99 you get what you pay for. Game feels clunky and cheap. This might be because i've been playing Warframe which is super smooth and pretty in comparison. Enemy tactics also feel cheap and leave you with a feeling that no matter what you did, you would not have passed the level. This may be due to a lack of an effective dodge or the painfully slow recovery time after getting knocked down which allows for perma-stuns by the enemy. This leaves you with a feeling of grinding to get better guns and weapons as i don't think i'll be able to complete a whole level with the starting guns.

Weapon upgrades feel completely ineffective with no noticable difference in accuracy or damage to guns. Clip size upgrade does give you more bullets per clip though. It's quite buggy too. I've crashed a few times at random and there is no option to reconnect to a party that you were in. This leaves you without rewards or experience from the level. Very frustrating.

Always on mics and reverb are an issue as there is not an option to mute people. Gold, pickups and kills (experience?) are not shared which for a co-op game does not encourage team play. A number of times i desperately needed a health or armour pickup to have a team-mate snatch it first. Deaths are also shared.

Overall this game has potential but in it's current state it frustrates me far too much for me to continue playing.
  3. Apr 19, 2013
    This game is a whole lot of fun if you got a few pals to gang up with. I was skeptical when I bought it, but after the first round, I was hooked... And that's saying a lot since I'm not usually the shooter kind of gal. I don't think you could spend your $10 better anywhere else!
  4. Apr 19, 2013
    Definitely a very fun game. Easily worth it for the 10 dollars it costs. Good variety of enemies with multiple accessories and weapons. Love the customization. The oaths are a nice change of pace, as well as difficulty, and the tests of faith are awesome/hilarious. These things make sure the same levels can be a little different each time. Only a few problems. Mics are always on and cannot mute in game. Also matchmaking and server issues are quite common. Also there are only 5 levels which can be somewhat repetitive if they do not add any more in the future. The levels are awesome though. It would be nice if different enemies game or there were different paths to do. As is it is the same path/enemies/boss every time besides the mutators. Some sort of AI director like in L4d would be nice. While there is customization, it is the same 5 or so heads and each time you just unlock a type of hat to use with each head. And there is only one pants or shirts that are unlocked at each level, which means you only get one to choose from. More cosmetic options would be nice. Hopefully they fix problems and add levels/cosmetic customization. Expand
  5. Apr 25, 2013
    Boring, bland, poorly made multi-player only third person shooter.

You and three other crappily designed characters wander around a small area that looks like it belongs more in one of Painkiller's many shovelware standalone expansions. You stand in place mostly, waiting for the same few enemies to pop up to be killed, then you get to move on and do the same.

This isn't a $10 game.
    There's about 40 minutes worth of content and a surprisingly long list of bugs compared to that small amount of content. Overall I'd say asking anything more than $2.50 is ridiculous. Expand
  6. Apr 19, 2013
    This game has some starting issues, but once you start playing it is a blast. Easily worth the $8.99 I bought it for and the $10 new people will pay for it. If this game gets a Workshop then Killing Floor is lost because where it stands now while different this is almost topping Killing Floor. The only issues are bugs, Always On Mic, Mic Reverb, and lag. Hopefully these issues will be resolved and it seems as if one of the maps are currently broken. By that I mean that map every time I have attempted to play has given me issues. The map is titled Fortress and I'm not sure if it is everyone or not, but it was for my group who tried it 4 times. Expand
  7. May 31, 2013
    Addition: I am going to leave the rest of the review as I originally wrote it, but I needed to add that Atlus has completely abandoned this game and the playerbase as of now. They have given absolutely no response to the community since Apr 26th, and players are extremely pissed and raising hell in the Steam forums.

First of all, despite my rating and complaints, I am having a blast
    playing this game. However, a few simple things keep this game from being amazing regardless of its price. Most of all is the matchmaking system, the queue times get extremely tedious way too fast. Second is the completely ridiculous fact that you get booted from a match if/when your last partner decides to leave. This is ridiculous, happens way too often, and will be the reason I stop playing God Mode. That being said, the very simple gameplay winds up being extraordinarily fun, they added some really intuitive touches to the arena style matches that make them unique. I also really like the "Oaths" system that allows you to handicap yourself for greater potential reward. Overall, for a 10 dollar game, this game could be a 9/10 if it fixed the two major issues involving co-op matches and matchmaking queues. It is just too important and annoying in a 100% co-op style game like this. I would also like to see much more customization and equipment options. I am disappointed in the lack of selection. Even for 10 bucks, these things need to be addressed in order to be a worthy rated game. Expand
  8. Apr 20, 2013
    God Mode is an incredible good looking game for a low price download game. Shooting, running, dodging feels good to me and I already spend some time as a solo player. But the most fun comes when you are in a 4 player coop match with your pals. There could be more different enemies and some more maps, but we might be seeing some in a DLC, hopefully. The leveling up is very slow and difficult so you need really to spend time to get some got weapons. But the different modifiers and the overall presentation is pretty good. So just check out some "Lets Plays" on Youtube and if you like it there, get some buddies and play it in coop. Expand
  9. Apr 20, 2013
    Yes, the game is very cheap but it's still a game being sold; it should be more complete. IMO the bugs make it borderlineunplayable. I've yet to complete a multiplayer game because of the bugs tha keep popping up that prevent you from completing it. Always-on mics are obviously annoying, and that could have easily been fixed but for reason they didn't fix it. Gameplay is very shallow, you run around and kill monsters... that's it, it gets old pretty fast but that should be obvious going in. Yes, the game is cheap but it be worth it to spend a little more time finishing it up and fixing the bugs and charge a little more if needed. Right now I don't think it's worth your $10.

This game is a good example of what's wrong with steam, a lot of unfinished games but since there's no publishing costs anyone can throw some crap out there and people will buy it simply because it's cheap.
  10. Apr 25, 2013
    Wow, what a waste of money, Let alone the $8.99 I wasted on this junk and gamers you know there are much better games out there then God Mode for less money.. This game tries to hard to be a shooter game and fails at it poorly. Haven't yet been able to play a co-op game since no one one my friends list purchased this crap, but I still feel that it will not change the boring game play what so ever. The leveling up weapon system is a big joke its seems like its only there to keep you interested in playing the game and without that it would fail even more. The way the maps are setup and where you can go and the enemy can be, you'll find yourself looking up on top of one the building fixtures trying to shoot a crappy ass weapon a long distance in order to kill them and unable able to reach them. You start with the worst weapon so get use to that until you can purchase a better one which takes a long while and alot of yawning. The game tries to bring a changed to each map by making the enemies smaller, or changing your weapon every so many seconds and other attempts to change the way you play, but still does not make this game fun at all. Save your money or wait for a 75% off sale this way you will not be upset when you play this junk. Expand
  11. Apr 26, 2013
    TO ALL OF YOU THAT ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS GAME OR EVEN CURIOUS ABOUT IT:

So here is the thing, this game is not for everyone. But anyone who even slightly likes it can't complain. It is $9.99 and if you end up playing it for 5 hours you paid 2 dollars an hour. Not bad considering I can pay more than that at Dave and Busters and have less fun in a loud environment.

This game is
    really simple and that is all it was going for. The games developers did not hide anything. Running and gunning, A relatively simple RPG gun upgrade tree, and chaos. That is all they promised and delivered. The game is very fun.

As far as the bugs are concerned, they are extremely tolerable and expected, since right now the game has been out less than a week, and I have no doubt that they will be slowly ironed out. The game does lack a little smoothness, for example, sprinting/dodging, but even still, if anyone paid full price for Dead Island they have more to complain about. Bottom line, if you like crazy chaotic games that support coop, get it. It is so worth it.
  12. Apr 19, 2013
    The game feels like a super fun co-op arcade third person shooter during the first 15 minutes I survived on Gold (hardest) mode. The game reminds me of Dungeon and Dragons with its type of enemies. Unfortunately, even with a very good rig, the game only runs at 45 FPS regardless if the setting is on high or low, but it is dam worth the $8.99 I spent.
  13. Apr 20, 2013
    This game is a wonderful first entry from a brand new studio. The $9.99 price point and the four player co-op make this a nice buy for a group of friends looking to blow some up. The movement feels smooth, the aiming seems tight and the action doesn't let up. The only complaint i'd really have against this game is that the powers are more of a "get out of jail free card" than something you will be using repeatedly to acquire kills in a match. I think if the powers were more of an active element (think DarkSiders or God of War) then it would deepen the experience a bit. Expand
  14. Apr 21, 2013
    This game is so much fun! It has great playability and graphics. more quality than many AAA titles.
    You wont fint any other game like this for this (very low) price.
  15. Apr 21, 2013
    The game is very enjoyable when it comes to playing with friends that are.... "exciting" to play games with. Its most enjoyable with those types of gamer's cause you will have more fun. Buy this game if you have fun friends that will play it with you! specially for the price of the game... you wont go wrong!
  16. Apr 21, 2013
    The best 3rd person arcade shooter. Brings back memories. Worth the 10 bucks in my opinion, I wouldn't mind paying 30 bucks for it. What frustrates me is that there is no chat system.
  17. Apr 25, 2013
    For the price it's a pretty good game there are a few issue with it ofc: 42 fps cap, can't adjust FoV, mic always on, can't mute players, no dedicated servers (P2P)...

overall it's a good game for the price... and devs said that they will fix some of these issues with a patch, so they are not trying to make a quick cash and then gtfo.

if they actually support the game it totally worth it.
  18. Apr 25, 2013
    Money saving time! No point in buying this game. Especially considering you can play games like Warframe for free (and it's better than this thing).

Low budget doesn't have to mean bad, but it really is an incoherent spamfest that you pretty much have to play coop in order for it not to be utterly ridiculous. I don't know why others were motivated to continue playing so many better
    games out there, just why? Expand
  19. Apr 24, 2013
    For 9$, hands down the best game I've played this year. Persistant leveling, massive destruction, fun gameplay, co op, great graphics. Not the hardest game out there, that is until you use the "oaths". I'm pretty sure the negative reviewers are posting in the wrong game.....
  20. Apr 26, 2013
    I've been playing coop with a few friends; we've all played dozens if not hundreds of hours of Killing Floor. We can take and leave aspects from both games, but we've agreed the sum of all parts is about equally between the two games. I saw how badly this game scored on here and thought I'd chime in:

Cons:
    - Always-on mic: Mute the other players. I know they should have added an
    option, but that's a simple solution.
    - Crashing: It's crashed probably once every 2 hours.
    - Somewhat weird level structure. Some maps have bosses; some don't.
    - Only 5 maps to choose from.

Pros:
    - The tests of faith are often humorous and keep things fresh.
    - If you're one of the people complaining about difficulty, buck the it. It's painfully easy on bronze difficulty. Oaths are nice because you get to earn additional XP and gold for handicapping your character for a map. This effectively allows two players has have a range of difficulty while playing coop with each other.
    - Graphics, animations and AI movement are much more polished than the main competitor, Killing Floor.
    - Value. 'Nuff said.

Neutral:
    - "Poor" amount of enemy variety nothing worse that 90% of shooters.
    - Leveling up takes much less time than it does in Killing Floor.

This game deserved better. When I saw it was under "The War Z" in Steam's Top Sellers list, I was awe-struck. If you look at the history of several users giving negative reviews, you can see that they often expect too much from AAA and B games like.

7.5/10 (Adjusted for turds like Gene and Drlron)
  21. hej
    Apr 27, 2013
    You can't go wrong for $10. Yes, there's only 5 campaigns to play through, but I don't think it becomes boring or monotonous thanks to the frantic pace and the "test of faith" mutators that continually change the dynamics of the game. And for the price you, really can't complain. The game can be frustratingly difficult while you're getting over the small learning curve, but after that it's good mindless fun. Expand
  22. Apr 20, 2013
    It's a great looking and solid action game but it's too shallow to have any staying power. The enemies look impressive, but there's little variation in how to take any of them down. Circle strafe and pump full of bullets. Are are weapons and abilities to unlock, but everything feels kind of samey and doesn't really open up new tactical approaches. The lack of well defined classes and too fast a pace to be tactical kind of sinks this.

My friends and I did a few rounds and decided to go back to Killing Floor and Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.
  23. Apr 22, 2013
    My first impression was, this game sucks. But after playing for few hours i need to say that it worth the money. My friends and i bought 4 pack, so the price was 5,25 Euros for each. Yes, there are some bugs in the game that need to be fixed. Mic always on is very bad thing, but hey, FEAR 3 also have that. Weapon upgrade is very hard. Enemy AI could be better. Good thing in this game that four of you can "kill" hours of time without being bored to death. So, find four friends, buy the game and enjoy the fun. I will buy ten games like this one instead one ALIENS Colonial Marines. Expand
  24. Apr 23, 2013
    This game right here is by far one of my favorite arcade/mini games ever.

For one, the visuals for a budget game like this are top notch. the maps all have there special little feel to it with lighting and weather. to hell with the Fire Pit or a tornado in Ascension, it still amazes me. The beasts look really cool and gave a darker spin on most Greek myth monsters.

second of all
    things is the gameplay, which I'm kind of on and off about. As a fan of TPS games i knew what to expect from the gun play, hip fire is lame always zoom in over shoulder, i was wrong, enemies get so close you dont need to zoom in. Melee is strong but its still useless because it stops you and basically lets you get surrounded. The beasts are all really diverse in terms of strategy but AI is still average. Weapon variation and customization types are wacky and i like them. the test of faith keep the mazes refreshing when you grab your friends and run the same maze once more.

my only downside to this game would have to be the additions it needs. (entire suggestions thread is filling up on steam forums under the game) deliver some new mazes, monsters, weapons and clothing, and we'll buy it because you already have some awesome fans.
  25. Apr 26, 2013
    It's perfect to one third person game, the graphics are not surprising however are not bad. The gameplay is not bad however could be better. The game is cool for co-op, the abilities that can be shared with friends, and upgrades.
  26. Apr 28, 2013
    For me, I’m always out there trying to find a new game that I can spend a good hour playing and feel like I’ve achieved something, whilst GodMode doesn’t fully cover that it does offer me a rather good pace and enjoyable set of games to play. Whilst the whole 3rd person shot-em-up is not a new style of game play I feel with the Test of Fates (the random bonuses/disadvantages you gain at certain points of each map) offer that unique element which keeps me interested through out.

My main issue with this game though is that it does get same-y after a while but if you have a few mates trying to complete “Gold” difficulty can be rather fun if not challenging.
  27. Apr 20, 2013
    For $10 you certainly get your moneys worth. God Mode is a 4 person co-operative shooter made by a new developer, published by Atlus.

Yes, THAT Atlus. The one who's product line consists purely of games that are BALLS HARD. Don't fret, though, the difficulty is rarely, if ever, cheap. The gameplay itself straddles the line between co-operative third person shooter and competitive third
    person shooter. Kill XP and gold are not shared between players, which pushes everyone to one-up eachother, yet enemies will flood the arenas making it nigh impossible for a single player to survive by themselves (Note: Single player is an exercise in frustration)

Core gameplay consists of picking between one of five maps (three of which end in boss fights) Players move from one (gorgeous) arena to another mowing down hordes of undead roman/greek creatures. A unique feature of these arenas are the "Tests of Faith", basically each arena alters the rules slightly to modify the experience, e.g. one arena might give you the "Armored" test of faith which causes all damage to be shared between players, another will swap your current weapon out for a random one every 10 seconds (even if you haven't unlocked the weapon yet), or one that reduces everyones maximum health by half but gives everyone health regeneration. Sometimes you get completely silly ones like "Party" which gives all enemies party hats!

The game includes a sizable portion of unlockables, giving it more than 10 USD worth of longevity. In game you earn XP and Gold, which are used to unlock new weapons, weapon upgrades and clothes respectively. If the game isn't challenging you enough, you can choose to activate "Oaths", which make the game harder in exchange for increased gold and XP gain (The higher level you are, the more you'll be needing to use Oaths if you want to see any significant progress towards advancement) An example of the oaths are "The Thief", which makes it so you do not have armor in game and cannot pick up armor, but you get a 15% increase to XP and 20% increase to gold, or the "Warrior" oath, which makes it so your Special Ability cannot be used for similar XP and gold gain increments.

While that all may sound fine and dandy, this game DOES have some issues. If you do not have a very good connection expect to see other players lagging (NPC lag compensation works well enough though) Another issue, and perhaps my BIGGEST grievance, is that voice chat is ALWAYS enabled with no option to turn it off, either for you or any of the other player. You can disable your mic through your hardware settings, but nobody should have to do that. The final issue I have with the game is that it has a rather weak start. The two weapons and one special ability you start off with are nigh useless (The SMG has RIDICULOUS spread making hitting anything outside of point blank an exercise in futlity, the shotgun has too TIGHT a spread and reloads like a snail riding a turtle, and the Shield ability doesn't even do what it's namesake says) Fortunately, you can upgrade the SMG and Shotgun into uberweapons once you finish a few matches.

Other than those three grievances, I would highly recommend this game to anyone who likes "Horde Mode" shooters with cooperative and competitive elements. For only $10, you get more than your moneys worth!
  28. Apr 28, 2013
    For its price the game works great. I reached max level in 8-10 missions by just turning on all of the oaths and playing gold difficulty (and yes I still got the most kills on the team but was killed 10x more than everyone else) so whoever says it takes too long to level do not know what they're doing it's actually the opposite. THIS GAME IS FOR CO-OP ONLY!!! Even if it goes single player it only shines when you play with your pals and stab them in the back in the gold room. It is true taking down enemies is not hard other than circling around them like hungry hyenas pricking them with your bullets to they kill over. The tests of faith add variation and replay value since the level may be the same it will be different from changes to the gameplay such as being given infinite ammo or enemies gaining a damage boost etc. Don't bother with melee since you stand still and by the time you finish you'll have the crap kicked out of you. Even though there are long recovery times when knocked down the monsters will stop in their tracks until you get back up or latch onto one of your buddies. The game is good for most ages and for gamers with low expectations since the controls are easy to understand and the objective is simple kill everything and then jump through the portal to the next area. Expand
  29. Apr 29, 2013
    This is a heck of a game at any price. It has lots of replay value. It has lots of nice eye-candy, and with friends it is a blast to play co-op, and with unknowns it is almost always still a blast.
    At less than ten bucks?
    I call it a deal.
    What are movies now? Two hours and at least ten dollars?
  30. May 13, 2013
    Great mindless killing fun. Very much worth the price. The different test of faiths keep it varied and interesting.
    Would be nice if you could customize your avatars appearance more though.

1. Jun 10, 2013
    God Mode feels like a free-to-play game that somehow got released without a trace of microtransactions. If you want to kill tons of monsters in co-op, better get Serious Sam 3: BFE.
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    God Mode is a likable run-of-the-mill effort that can offer a couple of enjoyable hours, but nothing more. [CD-Action 07/2013, p.64]
  3. May 13, 2013
    God Mode tries to vary, but fails to do so completely. It comes down to being a game in which you'll shoot a lot of enemies, mindlessly running towards you. Which is as exciting and original as it sounds: not at all.