6.2

1. Jul 27, 2014
    It was interesting to me that this game was so simplistic and yet so very complex.

The writing is superb and the story is filled with unknown mystery, that in my opinion, only serves to make me feel more immersed into the game. Yes, you will hate this game, but I implore you to finish it and then I can guarantee that you will end up loving it. Has re-playability, great soundtrack, brilliant graphic design, fantastic premise and hard yet fair situations to painstakingly manage. If you like anything that resembles a challenge in your games like Dark Souls etc... this is for you.

The story is compiled into small cut scenes and chapters in which you will play, not necessarily understand straight of the bat, but will certainly enjoy. The thing that drives the story forward above all else is the characters. Each of them feel unique and real, even some of them that may only turn up for small parts of the game are developed more-so than some characters I have seen in triple A games these days.

Music is godly.

It jumps right into the action and in every scenario it will give you several tasks that you must complete in a certain matter of time. It makes for a fast clicking frantic mess that slowly but surely will turn into precise actions and subtle key choices that can make or break your characters. For those who complain about characters always returning in every chapter, even if they were previously killed, then all I can say is that they didn't understand the story so watch out for that one.

Overall this is a great investment of your time and money, if you can overlook little underlying miss-polishes then you will have a horrific blast with Gods Will Be Watching and I can only hope that they make more.
  2. Jul 27, 2014
    THIS GAME IS BRILLIANT GOTY MATERIAL RIGHT HERE. so gods will be watching is a indie point and click adventure with turn based elements, it is unique and i cant find a better way to describe the gameplay. Graphics wise the game has a nice a functional and simple pixel based art style complimented by an exceptional soundtrack.The real hook here is the story witch is brilliant to say theTHIS GAME IS BRILLIANT GOTY MATERIAL RIGHT HERE. so gods will be watching is a indie point and click adventure with turn based elements, it is unique and i cant find a better way to describe the gameplay. Graphics wise the game has a nice a functional and simple pixel based art style complimented by an exceptional soundtrack.The real hook here is the story witch is brilliant to say the least one of the best naratives in video games so far but be warned the game involves tons of reading so if u don't like that sort of exposition and you don't have the patience to follow it then this might not be a game for you.WARNING:the game is incredibly difficult it can kic your butt on easy if u dont like hard games avoid this titel but if u like punishing games this one is for you i can certify that the game is fair and the difficulty is not impossible.There is huge replayability within this little game and some truly inovating gameplay.This game is great the only problem i find is access this game is not for everyoane so ill give it 9/10. Expand
  3. Jul 27, 2014
    A great combination of intersting plot, tough dissensions fantastic pixel art and great soundtrack. Although levels some times are hard to get the hang of, they aren't very long nor hard after you get the principle.
  4. Jul 28, 2014
    I played the demo many years ago. It was just a short suvival webgame, where you had to manage a small group of survivers on a fire. When I first saw this game, my first thought was "hey, I already played that for free many month ago!"

But then I bought this game when it was on sale. This game is much more then the demo. It has 6 different chapters, each unique. You always have to make decissions and manage your resources to survive or reach a certain goal in a set time. It is not real time, but turn based. So for example, you got like 25 days to reach a goal. You need to care for your crewmembers health and morale and you need to handle random events.

And its all in this cool old adventure look :)

I really love this game. It can be really challanging sometimes and it is hard to keep everyone alive. You often have to leave someone behind. I just reached chapter 5 by now.

Each chapter is very different, so its not just the same mechanism just with 6 different backgrounds. Each chapter has unique mechanisms, dangers and ways to play it. In one chapter, you are just around a fire and need to keep everyone alive and the fire runing, and you need to care about their health. In another chapter, you are in a desert with a big team and need to care for water and ammunition, while moving around the desert.

I'm very curious how all this ends. I could go on playing 100 chapters of this! :)
  5. Aug 3, 2014
    This game is a 10 for me, but could easily be lower for others. It is a game for a specific type of player, it is punishing, repetitive and at times you will just have to quit out of it to not yell at the screen. But if you are the kind of person who enjoys brute forcing down a problem by learning a little more each time this game is for you. The moral questions it asks of its players areThis game is a 10 for me, but could easily be lower for others. It is a game for a specific type of player, it is punishing, repetitive and at times you will just have to quit out of it to not yell at the screen. But if you are the kind of person who enjoys brute forcing down a problem by learning a little more each time this game is for you. The moral questions it asks of its players are well thought out, cleverly drawing the player into immoral actions by playing off your frustration with your lack of success, only to gut check you when you win that way. Sure you 'won' this time by killing a bunch of hostages, but you could have won without doing that.. you monster.

The art style is wonderful, the levels are clever, the story is entertaining and the ending is satisfying. If you can suffer the hundreds of failed attempts in the way they are meant to be endured you will love this game.
  6. Aug 11, 2014
    Let me start by saying, this game is frustrating, teeth-grindingly frustrating, and this is coming from someone who loves the dark souls franchise. you will have to repeat chapters over and over again, and a lot of the time it comes down to lucky whether you succed or not. it is NOT for everyone, but i really did enjoy it. its stategic, its intriguing and it kind of ♥♥♥♥s with yourLet me start by saying, this game is frustrating, teeth-grindingly frustrating, and this is coming from someone who loves the dark souls franchise. you will have to repeat chapters over and over again, and a lot of the time it comes down to lucky whether you succed or not. it is NOT for everyone, but i really did enjoy it. its stategic, its intriguing and it kind of ♥♥♥♥s with your personal psyche a bit. If you can make it past chapter 2 without breaking something you should be golden

i dont even have to mention the art and music, people who hate this game even claim that to be fantastic.

Its stressful, its painful, at times tedicous, and has one of most epic finales ive seen in games since times of MGS... if you find games becoming to easy these days, enjoy a challenging narrative, and have A LOTTT of patience, then this game is so worth trying.
  7. Jul 30, 2014
    This is definitely GOTY worthy.

The game play is quite unique, A point and click turn base game that has 6 different chapters each being extremely different yet managing to be the same. Such as a hostage situation and a torture sequence. The music is beautiful and the graphics are quite charming even if the game is quite dark. The game itself is definitely not mean't for everyone so,
    This is definitely GOTY worthy.

The game itself is definitely not mean't for everyone so, if you are not patient this game may not be for you.(Have to restart chapters over again each being 40-60 minutes long if you fail)

The story is driven by small cutscenes and chapters that you may not be able to understand until later in the game. The characters have actually made me feel more emotion than most movies and AAA games when they die/wounded which is impressive considering them not having advanced movements or spoken dialogue.

A part of the game that I love and hate is the Russian roulette in the torture chapter. It is completely luck based and being shot means starting back 20-30 minutes earlier in the chapter. A fix to this would be having a check point before it or the gun not having any rounds in it as like a "How big are your balls" challenge. Considering this and the fact it is not really mean't for everyone is why I give this game a 9/10. As I have stated from the top this is most likely gonna be my GOTY for 2014 and it is definitely worth a buy.
  8. Aug 4, 2014
    Really innovative game with a lot of style. Both art, music, controls, characters and story have a unique personality and are outstanding. It isn't a game for everyone because it's really hard, but it makes sense because the game wants to push you to make limit decisions that sometimes forces you to take certain hard choices.
  9. Aug 8, 2014
    Great game. Tough nut to crack, though. I really liked how the game didn't hold your hand but only gave you a challenge, that was on the borderline of possible/impossible, and let you run wild. It really added to the dark gritty atmosphere and the desperation of the story.

Considering how small the budget probably was, it was a great game that really packs a punch of a awesome sci-fi story, with its minimalistic graphic art-style. I really hope, they are going to work on a sequel because im running wild for some new challenges. I would love to see more of the Everdusk organisation and maybe a space battle, that one gets to play. That would be awesome :D
  10. Aug 21, 2014
    In my opinion this game is amazing, exactly what I've been craving in games that has been lost since the good old days. Games now hold your hand and walk you through so if you want challenge you have to wait 2 hours to see if it's even there and it's usually not. This game is hard. A lot of people failed the first level and wrote bad reviews. This is fine. I appreciate their reviews. TheyIn my opinion this game is amazing, exactly what I've been craving in games that has been lost since the good old days. Games now hold your hand and walk you through so if you want challenge you have to wait 2 hours to see if it's even there and it's usually not. This game is hard. A lot of people failed the first level and wrote bad reviews. This is fine. I appreciate their reviews. They were frustrated and disappointed. But there is a place for games like this for those of us who want an appropriate challenge. The main thing is that you slowly get better and better and figure out how to achieve your goal more and more. But if you're not clever or just have bad luck and can't figure out how some of the dynamics work, you're just not going to pass even the first level. The game is only what? 10 dollars? So if you're looking for a challenge, try it out and if you are disappointed you're out 10 bucks. These kinds of challenges are rare, and personally I hate a game that is not challenging. If there is no challenge there is no need to think, nothing interesting. Without challenge I feel like I am watching a bad movie. This game makes me think a lot and I absolutely love it. More like this please!

It's not just about challenge of course. I love the pixelated graphics, the complex but interesting sci-fi story, and I love the difficult decisions. Should I kill this innocent person to advance my goals? It puts you in that situation a lot. If you look at the reviews here it's a mix of love and hate. So give it a try, challenge yourself, take a chance and see what you think. Worst case you're out 10 bucks and 30 minutes.

1. Oct 22, 2014
    The idea behind Gods Will Be Watching is not bad at all, the prototype was promising, the Kickstarter campaign was successful, but after 15 minutes of playing I was furious. Gods might be watching, but whether you live or die is decided by a random number generator, not them. [10/2014, p.60]
  2. Sep 5, 2014
    The game looks gorgeous, boasting an intriguing concept while asking interesting ethical questions. It's a shame that the game is so tedious to play. [Sept 2014]
  3. Aug 27, 2014
    In 2013, Deconstructeam entered a Ludum Dare competition with a bare bones concept of a game. Now, a year later, this game has a price tag, but it’s bare just as it was back then.