Gone Home PC

5.4

Mixed or average reviews- based on 2033 Ratings

1. Jan 1, 2014
    This is one of those few "believe the hype" games. A unique and interesting way to tell a story but... As the mixed reviews on here show, if you're not willing to immerse yourself in a gentle story of discovery then this isn't for you. I found it touching, satisfying and bold. A turning point for what games can be.
  2. Mar 1, 2014
    Gone Home is more of an experience than a game. Much like titles such as The Stanley Parable & Dear Esther, there is no real gameplay as such, but instead you are a participant in an interactive story.
    You play as Katie, a young woman who has just retuned home after a year long trip to Europe. When she arrives in the middle of a thunderstorm she finds her family's home both extremely untidy & empty. As you explore the house you find notes left by your younger sister Sam, explaining what she has done in your absence, as the seemingly unconnected notes begin to link together following a story of growing up as a teenager that nobody seems to care for or understand, you are left with one question. What is in the attic?
    Gone Home first appears to be a horror game, however you will never encounter any enemies, nor should you be scared. However due to the ominous mystery of what is lurking at the top of the house and the excellent atmosphere being alone in a big house in the middle of a storm, you will regularly feel uncomfortable.
    Exploring themes such as bullying, homosexuality, the paranormal and domestic family life, Gone Home is a story we can all relate to in some way and despite being one of the less gameplay intensive items on the market, it is something that is worthy of your time.
  3. Jan 2, 2014
    Although it's very short I found this game to be fun to play and very touching in the end. It's also a great reminder that a fun and rewarding game doesn't have to involve killing stuff
  4. Jul 16, 2016
    I'm rating this game a five in protest to rave scores from professional critics. Oh, I'm perfectly fine with indie games, as well as 'experience' 'games' in general, but giving this short collection of interactive notes (that's what this really is) anything over 60 or 70 is ridiculous.
  5. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + An emotionally engaging and well-conceived narrative
    + Uses the few game mechanics it possesses on offer, tying exploration and narration together expertly ? Obviously leaves debate open as to whether or not its actually a game, though this does little to stop it from being a great narrative experience - Despite the great story, the emptiness of the house can feel a little
    Tier 2
    + An emotionally engaging and well-conceived narrative
    - Despite the great story, the emptiness of the house can feel a little bizarre and off-putting
  6. Dec 5, 2016
    Épp most játszottam végig és azt kell, hogy mondjam, hogy csak nagyon kevés játék tudott ilyen élményt adni. Először azt hiszed, hogy valami horror, aztán valami séta szimulátor és végül kibontakozik egy olyan történet az elfogadásról és a szeretetről, amilyenre egyáltalán nem is gondoltál. Köszönöm, hogy játszhattam a játékkal.
  7. Jul 20, 2014
    ~Please note, that I have only seen a Let's Play of Gone Home, and have not actually played it~

STORY - Gone Home's story is nothing out of the ordinary, and consists of a girl called Katie coming home to see her parents after travelling the world. When she returns, they are missing, and she has to try and find out what happened to them. It sounds a bit like a plot from NCIS, even

STORY -
    Gone Home's story is nothing out of the ordinary, and consists of a girl called Katie coming home to see her parents after travelling the world. When she returns, they are missing, and she has to try and find out what happened to them. It sounds a bit like a plot from NCIS, even though it's a setup for something truly different, yet sadly becomes easy to predict what happened to Sam Greenbriar very early into the game. It's not particularly unique, but it portrays what it's trying to get through beautifully.

GAMEPLAY-
    Much like a lot of "Walking Simulations" (Adventure games, as we used to call them), the gameplay is extremely basic and slow-paced. It involves you finding a series on letters from your sister, as well as side-clues to help you figure out what's going on. The gameplay isn't the core focus, but it's still functional. No issues here.

GRAPHICS-
    Graphically Gone Home is quite nice. It looks fairly cartoony for the most part, and has a nice amount of detail on everything. The lighting effects are basic, but atmospheric, and it all looks very clean and well done, with a couple of badly textured areas.

VERDICT-
    Gone home isn't for everyone, but if you like Adventure games, you'll be right at home here. Don't be fooled by thinking it's a horror game (Which may have been why some were disappointed, looking through Metacritic), it's actually a very heartfelt and beautiful game, that I strongly recommend, however, I understand that this game isn't for everyone.

PROS-
    -Functional Gameplay
    -Nice graphical style
    -Great story
    -Fairly good detail
    -Voice acting is really good

CONS-
    -Overpriced
    -Some poorly textured areas
    -A little too short.
  8. Nov 9, 2015
    An interactive story that offers a special kind of personal insight into the lives of others that only the medium of games could provide. If you connect strongly with themes of family and coming-of-age drama, you'll find the writing here is convincing and reinforced by the home you're exploring as you go. The story itself is fine, but the way the setting and environment design communicatesAn interactive story that offers a special kind of personal insight into the lives of others that only the medium of games could provide. If you connect strongly with themes of family and coming-of-age drama, you'll find the writing here is convincing and reinforced by the home you're exploring as you go. The story itself is fine, but the way the setting and environment design communicates with you as you move through it is what sets this apart as a memorable experience.

If you're not a fan of the interactive narrative style of game, there's nothing here for you to enjoy, but if you want a well-crafted experience, this one has a story to tell that's funny, honest, and heartwarming.
  9. Jan 28, 2014
    There are many games in our time that are story-driven and offer perfect emotional journeys and payoffs. Take The Walking Dead, The Last Of Us, Bioshock Infinite. Those games have something in common, besides being fricking awesome: They have pitch-perfect narration, and Gone Home does not only has some of the best pacing in video games, but is a completely revolutionary tool to tell aThere are many games in our time that are story-driven and offer perfect emotional journeys and payoffs. Take The Walking Dead, The Last Of Us, Bioshock Infinite. Those games have something in common, besides being fricking awesome: They have pitch-perfect narration, and Gone Home does not only has some of the best pacing in video games, but is a completely revolutionary tool to tell a story.
    Never thought I would play this game, as I thought it was a horror game. But the praise started coming and I said to myself "This must be a very good horror game, in fact, one of the best of this generation" and I had to play it as I am totally hooked when reviewers said "The Story is absolutely amazing".
    So I went into Gone Home, half-scared, half-having-high-expectations. The result was surprising. This is not a horror game, in fact, it is barely a video game. You arrive at your house and find it alone, with your family missing. You start collecting cards, audio logs and diaries to get to know what happened.
    You probably expect everything to be video game clichés: Someone died probably, and everything gone to hell, and you will find a body, blah blah blah. But Gone Home's story isn't a Video Game Story. It's a human story, something completely normal, familiar and devastating. The Love for a family or for our lover. Once you discover the secret behind the disappearance of your family, you will not be astonishingly shocked Bioshock-style, but begin to think how what happened was what had to happened. Don't want to get into spoilers, but let's say there is barely a "twist" here. It's just a family story, from beginning to end.
    The 2 hour campaign finishes, and the game is immediately a decoration. A book. You can read it again, although it will never be as good as the first time. Gone Home is meant to be played once, stress-free and with little knowledge as possible. It is one of the most interesting games of this generation.
  10. Feb 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cant believe the thoughts of the negative scores of this game. You should be all ashamed of yourself to criticizes a girl being different as a child and growing up finding herself. The game is really well made even if it was like 3 hours its the experience that got to me. Expand
  11. Aug 17, 2013
    So... yeah, it was good.

Got trough in good one hour and a half but there's probably double the length if you really digg into it. It wasnt bad since it made me go trough several emotions. Is it worth 20$? Well, i dunno. Think 10$ would be more appropiate but on the other hand the game actually is pretty unique. Short, if you liked Dear Esther you will probably love this one. If
    So... yeah, it was good.

Short, if you liked Dear Esther you will probably love this one. If you're expect a real adventure, think it over twice.
  12. Oct 17, 2013
    There's a group of people like me who have been yammering for years about the untapped narrative potential of games. These people will be delighted with Gone Home. Admittedly, it's more of a proof of concept than an actual game, and it's ugly, clunky, and overpriced. But it's very well-written, the voice acting is excellent, and if you're wired the right way, this small, ordinary story canThere's a group of people like me who have been yammering for years about the untapped narrative potential of games. These people will be delighted with Gone Home. Admittedly, it's more of a proof of concept than an actual game, and it's ugly, clunky, and overpriced. But it's very well-written, the voice acting is excellent, and if you're wired the right way, this small, ordinary story can be incredibly affecting. It lingered with me long after I finished playing. And, perhaps most importantly, Gone Home does prove something: that you can use games to deliver a narrative that would not work in any other medium. Watching a film about someone rummaging through an empty house would be a dreadful experience but doing it yourself makes all the difference. I sincerely hope that Gone Home will be an inspiration for other developers to pursue and expand this genre. Expand
  13. Aug 18, 2013
    No one can write a proper review of Gone Home without spoiling everything, but I'll try. Every review you read should tell you that the narrative in this game is incredible and moving. But this is an example of a story that couldn't be told as well using any other medium. The year is 1995. The player plays as Katie, who comes home from a trip across Europe to discover that no one else isNo one can write a proper review of Gone Home without spoiling everything, but I'll try. Every review you read should tell you that the narrative in this game is incredible and moving. But this is an example of a story that couldn't be told as well using any other medium. The year is 1995. The player plays as Katie, who comes home from a trip across Europe to discover that no one else is home. As Katie, you search your house in an attempt to discover where your sister Sam went. Sam left clues for you, scattered throughout the house. As I played, I really felt as if I had come home to my (creepy) house and was trying to solve a mystery that my sister had left for me. And as time went on, I got more comfortable with the house. As the story picked up, I found myself unable to stop playing. I'm so impressed that this was made by only a few people. I'll definitely pick up whatever they release next.

P.S. Many people are complaining, "It's only a few hours long and it costs $20!" But the length is exactly what it needs to be. There's no useless padding like there is in most games. If you value your time, you will appreciate the length.
  14. Sep 8, 2013
    A fantastic narrative with great exploration and detail in every corner. A great indie title any exploration fan needs to play. Great graphics, atmospheric setting to the point of being unnerving exploring the house alone. Accompanied with the great voice acting make this game a winner.
  15. Sep 3, 2013
    This IS a game and it's fantastic. Probably the best of 2013 about as good as "The Last of Us" in completely different ways (although both use environmental storytelling). We learn so much about these characters without necessarily interacting with them directly and the way it uses subversion is masterful. Easily worth $20.
  16. Dec 28, 2013
    Some games are about winning, most about killing. Ever so often one arrives that is about being a human and that is what Gone Home is at its core. I went in not knowing what to expect. I didn’t read the description; I just thought the game looked intriguing enough to give it a try. I am so very glad I did. In just over an hour I experienced the equivalent of a good book or a touching movieSome games are about winning, most about killing. Ever so often one arrives that is about being a human and that is what Gone Home is at its core. I went in not knowing what to expect. I didn’t read the description; I just thought the game looked intriguing enough to give it a try. I am so very glad I did. In just over an hour I experienced the equivalent of a good book or a touching movie but in a fully interactive and nostalgic trip back to the 90's. This is a story about love, relationships and growing up. If you want an experience like no other game out there, Gone Home is worthwhile.

A "Thank You" to the team that put this together, I appreciate what you did and look forward to your next effort. I wholeheartedly recommend this game.
  17. Dec 27, 2013
    A remarkable experience. This is one of the most intimate stories I've ever seen in any game. The atypical style of delivery, letting you wander freely through the house as you choose and uncover the story at your own pace offers a unique way to experience the story. Differentiating itself from similar games like Dear Esther which take you on a guided tour through a pretty landscape, GoneA remarkable experience. This is one of the most intimate stories I've ever seen in any game. The atypical style of delivery, letting you wander freely through the house as you choose and uncover the story at your own pace offers a unique way to experience the story. Differentiating itself from similar games like Dear Esther which take you on a guided tour through a pretty landscape, Gone Home is able to drop you into a strange environment and unravel the story out of it like a tangled ball of yarn.

It's certainly not a game for everyone. It's very quiet, and the narrative is very discreet. But beyond the people enthusing about it being a 90s time-capsule, or whining that it's not "scary," you have a stark, gorgeous, and solemn game that offers a touching, conflicted coming-of-age story that is worth appreciating for its subtlety and honesty in a way that few other games are able to capture.
  18. Dec 25, 2013
    I've never played anything like Gone Home. Every second seems like something terrible is going to happen, but that moment is postponed until the end of the game. The game is about exploration, and while we explore a deserted house in a scary scenario we discover what is really happening. We found the house littered, and the player can interact with what he finds throughout the game,I've never played anything like Gone Home. Every second seems like something terrible is going to happen, but that moment is postponed until the end of the game. The game is about exploration, and while we explore a deserted house in a scary scenario we discover what is really happening. We found the house littered, and the player can interact with what he finds throughout the game, allowing the player to put the story together. Which brings us to a heartbreaking conclusion, in a game that tells a better story in just two hours than most games in 20. Expand
  19. Feb 14, 2014
    "What is so great about it? Why'd you give it a 10, AVODESKORM."

"What is so great about it? Why'd you give it a 10, AVODESKORM."

Believe me, I wasn't approaching this with an open mind. With websites such as Destructoid praising this game. I wasn't impressed with all the good words people had to say about it. Hell even on a article previewing the game I commented that this game looks like absolute crap, if what I'm doing is just looking around at least give me graphics that impress the hell out of me.

How different do I feel now! This is a great-ass game, and I stand by it as one of the greatest games to come out in recent years. Spouting expostition is one thing that many games have too much up their asses. This game is going mostly show don't tell.

Remember when you were a child and you didn't know what was lurking around the next dark corner. I do. And this game brought back that feeling. And when all everything is lit and every door is wide open. You are no longer confused. I found myself intrigued all the way through and I think I might revisit this little adventure at a later date.

Probably the one of the best things to come out of gaming for years. All that is out today is EARLY ACCESS TRASH and your GTA'S. So when you have your decision to spend your money on the next DLC that's coming out. Skip it and Buy Gone Home. (Your games are probably all trash compared to this game anyways.)
  20. Aug 30, 2013
    What's $20 worth, these days? I find that people have a weird evaluation of worth, in that if something uses operant conditioning trickery as opposed to being fun and engaging, and then sets before you a game of endless padding and grind with repetitious content, then that's going to be worth more than a good story. What is the worth of a good story? You can pay upwards of $20 for an audioWhat's $20 worth, these days? I find that people have a weird evaluation of worth, in that if something uses operant conditioning trickery as opposed to being fun and engaging, and then sets before you a game of endless padding and grind with repetitious content, then that's going to be worth more than a good story. What is the worth of a good story? You can pay upwards of $20 for an audio book, with one author. That's actually a common price, these days. Just to have someone read one of your favourite stories to you, because you might have poor sight. So it'd be fair to say that a good story is worth at least $20, wouldn't it? The question is: Are you willing to pay $20 for a good story?

People are going to go into this with expectations. Jump scares aplenty, they'll expect, and find none. One might find cheap, schlocky horror in the vein of Slenderman, yet one would find none. One might expect puzzles to be forced in there, akin to Myst, just so that it can uphold a degree of gameness, and they'd find none. So, could one appreciate a good story contained not within a book, but presented as an interactive medium? Or would they just see the empty casing of where a game could be and complain?

Sadly, many have done the latter, and it is a pity that the experience was lost on them. This isn't a Dear Esther style game, either. You don't merely hold W so that you may watch and listen. No, this game invites you to explore, learn, and unravel. You enter into a dark house, with an eerily cloying atmosphere, you progress through chapters of the story with each room you light up, with hints and clues dropped into your lap as the tale comes together in your head. No Slendermen jump out at you, no kitsch puzzles are jury-rigged into the experience either.

It is what it is. It's a good story. And perhaps more suited for those who read, to experience a good story told in a different medium, rather than those who only game.

Is a good story worth $20? I think so. I really think so. You can grind through a game that lasts 60 hours, cringing through cutscenes with some dialogue which varies between awkwardly written and just plain bad. Gone Home doesn't represent a good game, but it is a fantastic interactive experience, one that will linger in your mind for years to come. You won't be playing stabby-stabby with guards, you won't be trying to figure out what this peculiar jigsaw piece is for, you'll simply be experiencing. Living a story through the eyes of others. And it is a sublime experience.

You've paid $60 for a bad story before. I know you have, because I know I have.

Is a genuinely good story that you won't forget worth a portion of that?

Everyone's going to have a different answer. Sometimes though it's nice to have an experience which sits apart from those same experiences you have every day. If you can keep an open mind and approach this as an interactive book, if you can put your intellect before your fear of the unfamiliar, if you can do that? Then I promise you, you'll have a good time.

If anything, a good story is the measure of the quality of a person, as a good story will stay with you for the longest time. A good story will leave you pondering the unspoken but implied truths, it will have you read between the lines, and it will make you live in the Universe it's weaved for you.

Some people just want stabby-stabby or shooty-shooty. This game isn't for them in the same way that Pan's Labyrinth wasn't meant for Michael Bay fans. It's not for raging homophobes either who see everything containing homosexuality as some kind of gay agenda, out to gayify their friends and children, which accounts for the vast majority of the negative reviewers.

I've spent a lot of time picking apart the opinions of those who have such a passionate hatred for Gone Home and it ultimately comes down to 'this should have been a game about a straight romance.' It's all sexual insecurities, because a nontrivial amount of gaming men feel frightened, even terrified, by empowered women. I'm very much reminded of the "But I'm a nice guy!" video. (Google it if you haven't seen it.) Consider just how worryingly desperate some are to down-vote reviews pointing this out, it should tell you everything you need to know.

I don't think a person's sexual insecurities should be used to score a game, and they should be able to recognise their own biases based upon them. If a game plays on their sexual insecurities, that means they need counselling. It's not a negative statement about the game. (To the contrary, honestly.) So it's not for them.

Ultimately, I see Gone Home as a metric for the quality of a person as a whole, and it can be used as such. Gone Home will show whether a person is able to enjoy a good, emotionally mature story or not. And it will also tell you whether someone has sexual security issues. Some people won't measure up, some will. As such, maybe this game is for you, or maybe it isn't. It was definitely for me.
  21. Koo
    Nov 3, 2013
    Like Dear Esther before it, Gone Home is a gaming experience more than it is a mere game. Gone Home lacks objectives, NPCs, enemies, and weapons. But what it does have is a beautifully realized world I felt a part of while I played the game. As you can tell from the other reviews, Gone Home is either a game you will love or one you won't. If you are looking for a relaxing gamingLike Dear Esther before it, Gone Home is a gaming experience more than it is a mere game. Gone Home lacks objectives, NPCs, enemies, and weapons. But what it does have is a beautifully realized world I felt a part of while I played the game. As you can tell from the other reviews, Gone Home is either a game you will love or one you won't. If you are looking for a relaxing gaming experience you can complete at your own pace (I completed the game in 2 hours) try Gone Home. If you are a curious type of person who enjoys a good story and likes to discover new things, try Gone Home. Gone Home isn't your typical adventure game. Like Dear Esther it is a journey and an experience. And also like Dear Esther, I enjoyed playing it immensely and will remember it. Expand
  22. Dec 29, 2013
    Is there one true definition of a video game? For me, it's an entertainment piece whose medium of experiencing it is through player interaction, as opposed to experiencing a piece by listening, or reading, or viewing. Can we not go any further than that? Can we not exclude and isolate perfectly serviceable games simply because they don't fit a bracket? That way, we miss out on a lot ofIs there one true definition of a video game? For me, it's an entertainment piece whose medium of experiencing it is through player interaction, as opposed to experiencing a piece by listening, or reading, or viewing. Can we not go any further than that? Can we not exclude and isolate perfectly serviceable games simply because they don't fit a bracket? That way, we miss out on a lot of great games that otherwise wouldn't exist.

In that regard, Gone Home is actually more of a game than GTA5 or The Last of Us or COD: Ghosts. It doesn't have cinematic cutscenes which feel more like a movie than a game, it doesn't have high-end motion capture with professional actors. It doesn't have elaborate set pieces with Frostbite 3 engine. It tells its story through playing; through the basic tenant of video games: interactivity. You experience the story, not by cutscenes, but by playing it. Just because it doesn't have combat or violence doesn't mean it's not a game. In fact, it's even more of a game than most triple-A games we play today; it utilises the potential of the medium. It shows what we can do with minimalistic gameplay meaning a lot. It's up to the player to decide how deep they want to dive in to Gone Home.

With all that said, it's capable of delivering a story so powerful and unique that you can't help but be impressed with its sheer bravery. It shows what we can do with gaming, and it shows the power of gaming over other media, like film or literature. Therefore, Gone Home is as true a game as you can hope for.
  23. Aug 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Words can almost not describe what this emotionally gripping story of a misunderstood teenage girl makes you feel. It gives you a feeling of happiness, sadness, fear, and even humor at points, but in the end it chooses a route that you at first believe you will dread that actually gives you a sense of hope and happiness that shows that love is a powerful force that can drive people to do things that some would call foolish, but I believe it to be extraordinary. Not since The Last of Us has a video game made me shed tears, but instead of tears of sadness I shed tears of happiness and joy for an ending that denied usual trend of dark, gloomy, or even uncertain endings and gave us the fantastic narrative that is Gone Home.

Absolute 10 out of 10
  24. Sep 18, 2013
    Uh oh people there is no one to blow up or kill game must be horrible! And there aren't npc's to interact with? oh my god that's unbelievable?!?! Just reading most of the terrible reviews paints a picture of how pathetic most gamers are that can't see outside of their tunnel vision of what a game has to have in it to be enjoyable. This game is like a work of art, and it extremelyUh oh people there is no one to blow up or kill game must be horrible! And there aren't npc's to interact with? oh my god that's unbelievable?!?! Just reading most of the terrible reviews paints a picture of how pathetic most gamers are that can't see outside of their tunnel vision of what a game has to have in it to be enjoyable. This game is like a work of art, and it extremely engaging and interesting. The story is very unique and it tells a few other stories along with the main one. Very good game and I highly recommend Expand
  25. Aug 26, 2013
    Gone Home tells the stories of a troubled family by slowly feeding you little tidbits of information that are found throughout the house. You, the older sister who has just come home from a European adventure, are surprised to find no one home upon your arrival and you search for clues around the house as you attempt to find out more about your family's whereabouts. That pretty much sumsGone Home tells the stories of a troubled family by slowly feeding you little tidbits of information that are found throughout the house. You, the older sister who has just come home from a European adventure, are surprised to find no one home upon your arrival and you search for clues around the house as you attempt to find out more about your family's whereabouts. That pretty much sums up the game play there are some locked doors to get through but there isn't any real puzzle solving to speak of. The game is purely based on exploration and any hindrance that you encounter can be overcome simply by looking around more. But that's not the point of this title. The point here is to tell an endearing and emotional tale about a troubled family that often leads you down strange and unexpected paths. The game does an excellent job of building a creepy atmosphere but then ultimately delivers in a way that is totally unexpected but somehow still satisfying.

I really did enjoy this experience but I wouldn't recommend it to every gamer. This game isn't so much a game as it is an experience. With the short length and $19.99 launch price tag, it's a little bit difficult to defend the value of this game if you don't end up enjoying the story. That's the tricky part here, it's a very polarizing experience. Some people will love it and some people will be left wanting more. If you are more interested in gameplay than storytelling then this title probably isn't for you.
  26. Sep 28, 2013
    It's a neat little game with a cute story, and a cool way of delivering it. There's no monsters that jump out at you, no scary parts, not even any puzzles just pure exploration and story-telling. I don't think it deserves all the praise it's getting from critics, but it definitely doesn't deserve all the negative user-votes, either. I think most people just take issue with the priceIt's a neat little game with a cute story, and a cool way of delivering it. There's no monsters that jump out at you, no scary parts, not even any puzzles just pure exploration and story-telling. I don't think it deserves all the praise it's getting from critics, but it definitely doesn't deserve all the negative user-votes, either. I think most people just take issue with the price which, I agree, is hefty ($20) for a 90-minute game. I think this game would be worth the price at $5, though. Expand
  27. Dec 28, 2013
    This is less of a game than it is an interactive story, but it is a very compelling and intriguing one and very well constructed.
    I'm not sure where all of the hate is coming from. Perhaps from gamers that have been conditioned to have a very narrow view of what games are, or can be. Perhaps from religious fundamentalists that can't deal with the context of the story, or perhaps just people that are so unused to character empathy and well constructed story in a video game medium that they simply can't comprehend it.

As someone that grew up and reached adulthood in the time period where the story is set (1995), I found all of the references very nostalgic. I went in not knowing what to expect, just that it was highly recommended, and I don't regret spending the money on it.

If you are a more mature gamer in your late 20s or 30s, you will likely really enjoy this experience. If you have no attention span, imagination, or ability to empathise or be thoughtful and take things in, this will most likely not be the game for you.
  28. Jan 13, 2015
    I'm in extreme surprise after playing this game... I bought into the whole 'OMG IT'S TERRIBLE NOT A GAME WOOOW' thing and have hated this game ever since I heard about it... but I never actual got around to playing it. Now that I've played it, I can happily say that it's an emotional masterpiece that gets a lot more hate than it deserves. It hits close to home in quite a few ways andI'm in extreme surprise after playing this game... I bought into the whole 'OMG IT'S TERRIBLE NOT A GAME WOOOW' thing and have hated this game ever since I heard about it... but I never actual got around to playing it. Now that I've played it, I can happily say that it's an emotional masterpiece that gets a lot more hate than it deserves. It hits close to home in quite a few ways and definitely left me disturbed but overwhelmed with joy and relief.

I'm impressed with you, Fullbright Studios. Quite a game you have here.

The gameplay may not be for everyone, as it is mainly just an interesting medium of telling a story - but I bought into it and definitely enjoyed and immersed myself. It did kind of drag out though as I got to the second portion of the house with the kitchen and greenhouse... I feel like they could've packed a lot of that information in the basement or even in the first half of the house. But the way everything is revealed in a sequential order even though it's not linear is fantastic.

But come on, only ONE Twin Peaks reference in the game? It takes place in the 90's... you scattered 50,000 X-Files tapes throughout the living room... but only one Twin Peaks piece? Ughhhh.
  29. Sep 14, 2013
    Gone Home is a game created by The Fullbright Company which consists of some great developers which used to work for many interesting projects including Bioshock Infinite, XCOM and also Minerva’s Den. When I read about who is making this game, I knew the story telling is going to be amazing.

You start off as a young girl named Kaitlin Greenbriar who comes back from the journey across the world. You also have a younger sister called Sam and of course parents. Personally, I didn’t know what to expect from this game, after seeing the trailer I was expecting a mix of Amnesia and Dear Esther.

When I opened the door for the first time I felt scared, terrified I was presuming that something horrible have happened in this house and believe me, you will experience the same felling, trust me.

Throughout the game you collect the pieces of the information(audio logs) to find out what happened in this house, you are trying to answer these questions, what happened, where is your family and why did they leave without letting you know. Personally, I love what developers did. The idea of collecting the information(audio logs) to find out what happened is just genius. When I was collecting these audio logs I felt attached to the family, I was feeling bad about my younger sister and her problems. This feeling kept me interested in the story as well as in trying to collect every single audio log. I also felt the need to explore every single bit of the room, trying to not miss anything.

One of the biggest advantages that this game has to offer is its atmosphere, right after you enter the house you feel uncomfortable, scared and unsure of what is going on. I personally thing that this is the biggest strength of the game. Walking across the rooms, finding out the secret entrances and being scared because you don’t know what is in the house, is it a ghost, is the murderer still in the house, did someone got murdered? You simply don’t know. Even though there is no ghosts in this game I was still scared because the game created the developers have created this excellent atmosphere which are supported by great sound effects. There is no scripted events in this game…well maybe except for one, very good one I might add.

I have completed this game in 3 hours, but then I have started playing it again. When you start the game you can either go right, left or upstairs, it’s your choice, there is no specific order of how you have to collect the information which is cool. The other thing that I liked about this game is that there was no arrows telling me about where I have to go or something like that, this is completely user driven experience, If you know what I mean.

Lastly, Gone Home is a great game, personally one of the best games I have ever played. If you are a gamer you have to go through this experience. Believe me, You will not be disappointed. That’s why I love indie games, creative people that aren’t limited by the publishers. I would love to see this types of experiences more often.

I give Gone Home: 10/10

Summary:

Pros:

-Great story

-Excellent atmosphere

-Undoubtedly, perfect voice acting.

Cons:

- This is an exploration game which can turn off some casual gamers. (but I would still recommend it)

- Length of the game I really understand that the developers wanted to keep this game short and to the point, but I loved this game so much that I want more… and more) I wouldn’t consider the length of the game a disadvantage though, I didn’t had a problem with the length of the game but again, It might be disappointing for the casual gamers who picked up this game.
  30. Nov 12, 2013
    Another game that excels in it's own narrative stands out, although Gone Home presents itself at first sight as a game with no direct focus or much entertaining gameplay it's core is completely centered at the script, and how any player would follow it, since it's in general very consuming. From the moment you begin the game you are as clueless as the character, you feel what she feels,Another game that excels in it's own narrative stands out, although Gone Home presents itself at first sight as a game with no direct focus or much entertaining gameplay it's core is completely centered at the script, and how any player would follow it, since it's in general very consuming. From the moment you begin the game you are as clueless as the character, you feel what she feels, you're scared, curious, and thus starting the game experience itself.

It flows greatly despite it's 2 hour gameplay, and although it's not very wide or abroad, or uniquely fun to play, it is made so artistically that really stands out a potential that many companies fail to see in games, it is wonderfully made in it's own way and should be recognized as a step forward for game creators to look up to,not by making a story a must have in every game, but to show how well you can tell a story or involve a player.
  31. Jan 12, 2014
    It tells a story and it tells it good.
    Reminded me a lot of the early 00's pc games.
    It's not a game for the xxx420noscope_progaimur1337 kind of gamer.
  32. Aug 27, 2013
    Gone Home is a great game. Full stop. Yes, it is a game. It's not a shooter, it's not an action game, it's not a survival horror game. But it IS a game. Saying it's not a game is like saying that a movie isn't a movie because it doesn't have explosions or car chases. It may not be your kind of game, or a game you are comfortable with... but it IS a game. And it does the things it isGone Home is a great game. Full stop. Yes, it is a game. It's not a shooter, it's not an action game, it's not a survival horror game. But it IS a game. Saying it's not a game is like saying that a movie isn't a movie because it doesn't have explosions or car chases. It may not be your kind of game, or a game you are comfortable with... but it IS a game. And it does the things it is trying to do with grace and assurance.

I am amazed at how negative the player response to the game has been... I think there are three reasons.

1. The price. The game is going for $20 and it's a short game... between 90 minutes and 3 hours. That makes it shorter than most movies and for the first time we are being asked to pay more per hour for a game than a movie! Oh man the gall! How dare they! ...well they do dare and I think in this case it's on purpose. It's an ok thing to make an indie game that is revolutionary and then give it away because 'you know it's not a 'real' game... but to make a indie game that refuses to meet player expectations, to do it well with polish style and impact... and then to DEMAND that players acknowledge it's worth by asking them to pay a premium for it... it seems that that is not ok with a lot of players. I guess it's fair to want a longer game for your money. For me, well I say rock on, I got what I paid for.

2. Presentation. The game presents like it's going to be a survival horror game. It plays with that expectation. Even new video game players feel it and say things like 'This is creepy, I think something is going to jump out at me!' The game wants you to feel that, but the game is not 'about' that, it's about atmosphere not monsters. Getting upset at that is like getting mad because your psychological drama didn't turn out to be a horror movie. I guess being upset at this is fair enough, if you don't like the games actual genera then I can see feeling tricked by it's atmosphere. That does not make it a bad game, it just means you don't like that kind of game.

3. Subject matter. I won't spoil but a lot of the user reviews have a layer or discomfort or fear surrounding the subject matter of the game. I love it, and I love that it has gotten under these gamer's skins even if they would deny that. The gentle honest subtle presentation of the subject matter is the first time it has been addressed that way in games, and really one or the few times we see it addressed that way in media at all. You may not like the story, fair enough. Perhaps you should ask yourself why you don't like it. Despite what you may be telling yourself it's not because it's shallow, poorly told, or because (and one reviewing player actually said this) because 'the textures are bad'.

In any case I hope you take the time to decide for yourself. I think in 20 years people will be looking back at this game as one of if not the moment games grew up.
  33. Oct 30, 2013
    Well, the negative scores seem to be inching ahead of the positive ones, so I feel like I need to support the greens and redress the balance!
    Regardless of what others may say on here, Gone Home IS a game, and a beautiful one at that. Similar criticism was leveled at Dear Esther regarding its definition as a 'game', where it was certainly more applicable, but if you define a game as having to perform some kind of skilled actions to gain rewards, then Gone Home is certainly a game.
    You use your skills to find the clues around the house and piece together the events leading up to your arrival, and the reward is a skillfully told story that will either bounce right off you, or break your heart, depending on who you are. You can be any age or gender to enjoy the story, but if you only play games for action or excitement, then this game is not for you.
    It beggars belief that there are people who bought this game without doing at least a little bit of research first. Do people really just buy games without reading their description? Baffling.
    Is it worth £14.99? Will I ever play it again? I'm not sure I can answer either of those questions, but I certainly didn't feel short changed, and it was an experience I'll always treasure (besides, I bought in it the Steam sale!).
    Developers who harp on about how important stories are in games should play Gone Home to experience how good stories can be told and that they don't required feature film levels of action, special effects and dialogue to achieve it. You just need talent, and that's what the Fulbright team have in spades.
  34. Apr 10, 2016
    Gone Home is landmark game. A big step in the realm of interactive storytelling. This game completely captivates you if you let it. There's no real gameplay other than picking things up and walking around the house. The basic premise is that a girl comes home to find her house empty. She must explore the house to find out where everyone went. The atmosphere in this game is absolutelyGone Home is landmark game. A big step in the realm of interactive storytelling. This game completely captivates you if you let it. There's no real gameplay other than picking things up and walking around the house. The basic premise is that a girl comes home to find her house empty. She must explore the house to find out where everyone went. The atmosphere in this game is absolutely amazing. In the game, your character, Katie, hasn't been to this new house yet because she was out on a trip while her family moved in. This game really uses that and it makes you really feel like you are walking in on a strange old house for the first time. You feel the house creak as you walk through the dark halls. The noises of faint footsteps create an amazingly eerie atmosphere that makes you want to turn on all the lights as if you were actually exploring a dark house. It has a surprisingly haunting atmosphere that I wasn't expecting from this game but I absolutely loved it. I caught myself dropping an item to look around a corner to see if there was someone there several times. The creaks and cracks of the old house make it feel so much more real and life like. I Also felt the story was surprisingly captivating and emotional considering that if this were written as teen fiction, I wouldn't have read it. The fact that the story was told in a house that felt so real made it even more emotional. I felt connected to the game and it really felt like I was learning about someone else's life through the belongings left in their abandoned home. The struggles of the teenage life may seem kind of boring and a bit cliche, but this game made them feel so real. There was something about the way the story was presented that made me feel a lot more emotionally attached to it. It had so many small details that made this game seem so real, from recorded VHS tapes of The X-Files, to movie tickets to see Pulp Fiction, to the homework assignments on desks, this game felt alive. The best thing about the story is that the more you explore, the more you learn and the more pieces of the puzzle fit together in the end. While the main story is about your younger sister, there are several other stories about the other family member that can be discovered. Some of which are kind of dark (which I like). Some of these stories are really up to your interpretation based on the clues you've found around the house.

In the end Gone Home is a hauntingly beautiful game that really feels alive. This game wont be for everyone (as evident by the negative reviews) but for fans of great interactive story telling, this game is a must.
  35. Oct 20, 2013
    i dunno what the bad reviews are for. I had a lot of fun with this game. Granted its short you can do it in a couple of hours. But if you've ever been home in a bigish home all by your self... you'll understand real fast.

every things well polished and setup nicely lots to interact with, some parts of the game and objects require you to use your brain, please don't rush online and waste it. remember your home alone theres no one there but you... or is there??? dun dun duhh!

You have to explore and find things to get more of the story, the setting reminded me of being a kid snes cartridges ect..

Give it a shot its different.
  36. Aug 20, 2013
    I gave it a 10, my actual score would be 9.6 but i guess I cannot do that.
    I gave it a 10, my actual score would be 9.6 but i guess I cannot do that.
    If the game was a littlebit longer with some unexpected plot twists, it would be an instant classic. But still its a great game with an unique style and story, godlike voice acting (best I've ever seen since the Last of Us) and amazing atmosphere. Definitely better than garbages like mass effect or dragonage with their long but repetitive unimaginative dumbed down gameplays.
  37. Dec 27, 2013
    This game deserves a much higher score! Its has a simple gameplay, but man the atmosphere and story is fantastic! Buy this game if you love at good story!
  38. Oct 5, 2013
    Gone Home is primarily an exploration/discover game that features more interactivity than Dear Esther, and is shorter than To The Moon. Most of the puzzles relate to following the content to make sure locked areas of the map can be opened. The game is narrated through audio and visual clues, and pays a great deal of attention to small details which must be examined to understand the fullGone Home is primarily an exploration/discover game that features more interactivity than Dear Esther, and is shorter than To The Moon. Most of the puzzles relate to following the content to make sure locked areas of the map can be opened. The game is narrated through audio and visual clues, and pays a great deal of attention to small details which must be examined to understand the full story. I can guess that many negative reviews are due to players expecting something more of a "game" you must be advised that this is more of a story but a very well executed one. Expand
  39. Sep 21, 2013
    I cannot believe the absolute wretchedness of the Metacritic user community, dishing out these horrendous scores for such a BRILLIANT and THOUGHT-PROVOKING experience. I left this game teary-eyed, absolutely floored by its amazingly realized characters and emotional story.

I loved the voice acting, the music, the creepy atmosphere, and the immense mystery that slowly unfolds as you play, all effortlessly moving at a brilliant pace. Since it's set in the 90's, I felt a great sense of nostalgia as I rummaged through items I used to play with as a child. This game made me feel something completely different from anything else I've played, something completely BETTER than all the action-packed, ultra-violent and incredibly DUMB games I've gotten so used to over the years.

I'm not awarding this game a 10 because I want to see its miserable and downright SHAMEFUL user score go up, I'm awarding it a 10 because it is damn near perfect and deserves it. It's an experience you'll want to revisit. It raises the bar for immersion and realistic story-telling. It grabs you and doesn't let you go until you're finished, with an ending that will make satisfied tingles shoot up down your spine.

This is the kind of game the industry so desperately needs to pay attention to, and I personally thank The Fullbright Company for taking risks and making the game they wanted to make, not trying to appease the trigger-happy ADHD CoD generation of gamers that can't stand to sit still for an entire second without blowing something's head off. This game is not for them, and I couldn't be happier about that.

Bravo!
  40. Jun 27, 2014
    I really loved this game. It was a unique and personal experience and also a kind of sentimental / retro feeling to it for me because it is set in the 90s and remembered me of my childhood a lot. Play it while you are alone at home! It was intriguing and tense for me.

I found this truly to be a masterpiece. If you are interested in life and intellect, you will love it. If not, go and

I found this truly to be a masterpiece.

If you are interested in life and intellect, you will love it. If not, go and masturbate to your favourite Call of Duty game.
  41. Dec 27, 2013
    I don't often write reviews, but this game asks for one due to the huge discrepency in scores between users and reviewers and I do not see one review so far that gives this game justice while being on the side of the consumers. First, to give you an idea of the kind of gamer I am, I will always applaud ingenuity, immersion and accessibility. Hence why my favourite games are the Batman andI don't often write reviews, but this game asks for one due to the huge discrepency in scores between users and reviewers and I do not see one review so far that gives this game justice while being on the side of the consumers. First, to give you an idea of the kind of gamer I am, I will always applaud ingenuity, immersion and accessibility. Hence why my favourite games are the Batman and Bioshock games which blend a great story with dynamic gameplay while I feel games like The Last of Us and Witcher 2 have major gameplay issues that take away the enjoyment of the story creating dissonance. The Last of Us mixes in very frustrating combat and stealth sections with odd autosave points that hindered my experience and enjoyment of the story which is clear the dev team really cared for.

So knowing my taste and point of view, I hope you understand how I found Gone Home to be a geat game. You see, like the Last of Us, the developers were definitely more story focused, but where the Last of Us will throw a frustrating fighting or stealth sequence, there is none of that in Gone Home. There is no fighting, or running, or any kind of action in Gone Home, where all that happens is you uncovering what just happened in a house by rummaging around. Some people don't call that a game but in a world where The Walking Dead, The Stanley Parable and Journey exist as games, I find it safe to say that it is still very much a game, fitting in a similar category as those other ones. Very light on gameplay, but story focused.

Like all games, you are still the star of the show, you still control the character, and you still take part of a story. And this story is that of a woman returning to her family in a new house they settled into while you were away.

Now, as I said before, I like ingenuity in storytelling and when developers try to have as little dissonance between gameplay and story. The story is about exploring your family's house searching for the whereabouts of your sister when no one is home. BUT the game has a linear story which ends and must last at least an hour. I love how the developers solved any dissonance.
    It's an old house, known for it's mysterious past, which your family recently moved into and which you have never seen before. This gives the reason for why both the character and the player would search all over the place and not know the layout right away. This also explains hidden compartments or pasageways you may find. Locked doors help the progression and the order the story is presented to you. And uncovering why you are all alone in this house is one of your main objectives.

So as a point and click game about exploring a house, and using this mechanic to tell a good story, it's perfectly fine. It even manages to be poingnant and I admit I was very very worried of what I would find up in the attic (I had not felt this kind of worry in a game in a while). You can also add the great sound design and atmosphere showing just how scary it may be to be alone in a house you have never been to. It's also a game both men and women would enjoy just as much. However, it being such a short game with litle gameplay, a 20$ price is asking a lot. And this is where the discrepancy between critic and user scores comes from. Critics did not have to spend this money, so all they see is the positive stuff I wrote above, if they did, you can bet this would not get the same scores. The reason it costs so much is because by having this be a PC game and not a downloadable title on XBLA, the developers where looking at Steam for distribution and were looking at how much it would sell for on a steam sale which is when most units are sold. Thus, the actual sale price is between 4.99-9.99 which makes far more sense. This is simply a business decision and knowing this, I would encourage you to do as the developers foresaw and buy this game only when it falls between that price point. Or you can wait for it to go on the humble bundle in a year, its up to you. Whatever you choose though, I encourage you to play this game. Especially if you grew up in the 90s.
  42. Dec 26, 2014
    This is one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences of the past year.

The story is good, the exploration and the setting are great. It's a joy to play a game that feels like it's story is good enough without having to fluff it with repetitive kill stuff or solve overly complex and out of place puzzles. I mean, my house isn't like a typical adventure game where you have to figure out
    This is one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences of the past year.

I mean, my house isn't like a typical adventure game where you have to figure out how to make a troll drop a banana, to give to a monkey to drop a socket wrench set, to fix a car so you can to upstairs and continue the story. It's nice to see an exploration game be all about exploration and the story. I will definitely be checking out the next game that Fullbright makes.
  43. Dec 1, 2015
    This game is an indie game done right! Unlike Undertale, this game is good and thought provoking. The gameplay is awesome and fluid! The controls are excellent. This is the best written game I have ever played. Great game! Overall score: 10/10! My personal game of the year for 2013.
  44. Sep 17, 2013
    I always wanted a game with realistic environment for me to explore without having to gun down a monster at the next corner, so I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time, this game is not about shooting or high scores or winning, it's about a experience and to tell a good story.

Many people argue this is not a game, or say something like "just read a novel or watch a movie", I disagree, the experience of finding out the story behind each object is very different from a novels or films, because as a game it makes you feel like you are really there, in that big house trying to find out what happened (which is a bit of creepy at times, another good point of this game.) as a video game developer can convey many things that other medium can't express, like the little touch to the 90's style in the game, it resonates with a lot of people, but it doesn't feel the same if you see in a movie, it's a totally different experience.

This game alone proves that video game CAN and IS an art form, it can tell a good narrative story, but also offers the feeling of involvement as a video game, it's the perfect combination in my opinion.
  45. Sep 15, 2013
    This isn't a game. This isn't a movie. This is an experience. Taking the role of Kaitlyn Greenbriar you arrive at your home in April of 1995 after a whole year in Europe. During that past year many things have happened which may change all character's lives forever. You must read notes and listen to dialog as you attempt to piece together one of the most realistic and most heartwarmingThis isn't a game. This isn't a movie. This is an experience. Taking the role of Kaitlyn Greenbriar you arrive at your home in April of 1995 after a whole year in Europe. During that past year many things have happened which may change all character's lives forever. You must read notes and listen to dialog as you attempt to piece together one of the most realistic and most heartwarming stories of our generation. The notes are beautifully written. The voice acting is top notch. The environment around you greatly reflects on the story revolving around it. Although the textures could have been worked on a bit more, there is no arguing that the game's style looks exactly how it would have during the year in 1995 and there are no reasons why the textures take away from the experience as a whole. This world is highly interactive which adds to the overall immersion, even if the interactions are just opening doors and panels or turning off lights, all of these interactions really add to the beautiful story telling that this game has. As the story grew deeper you found yourself really beginning to grow attachments for these characters and you want to know more about their very interesting lives. Although the game does come short to about 2 hours of total playtime during a first playthrough, there are still so many things around the house that you may have missed that you may want to go back and play it again. For a price of $20 this is without a doubt a game that is worth playing. Expand
  46. Feb 16, 2014
    There will be a lot of people that complain that there isn't much to this game, it's just a 1st person, interactive story and that is where it, like Beyond: Two Souls, beats a lot of games and divides a lot opinions, it's story is so deep and compelling it doesn't need to do anything but be told, it is so simplistic that it is almost perfect there are no enemies to defeat, no puzzles toThere will be a lot of people that complain that there isn't much to this game, it's just a 1st person, interactive story and that is where it, like Beyond: Two Souls, beats a lot of games and divides a lot opinions, it's story is so deep and compelling it doesn't need to do anything but be told, it is so simplistic that it is almost perfect there are no enemies to defeat, no puzzles to solve you just play through and discover the story is an incredibly emotional and real you can't help but to become near obsessed with putting all the little pieces together to figure out the stories behind the characters Expand
  47. Oct 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, Gone Home isn't the usual game you'd expect. It's mainly about exploration and even that part is fairly limited. The further you explore the house you will unfold the events that led to the "abandoned" house. But it still manages to give you a good ending where you rethink your playing experience and how the game was able to play with our expectations. I liked that and that's why it stayed in my mind. It also manages to deliver a strong statement because despite the media tolerance for gays and lesbians it is still a huge problem in a lot of families when your offspring isn't developing the way you expect them to be. Expand
  48. Aug 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not going to get into a discussion of "what is" or "is not" a video game. I think that is a silly conversation.

Gone Home is a great story, that had me right from the beginning to the very end. I checked every bit of that house, no Kleenex box was left unturned. It captured how I felt when I was alone at home with a storm outside. Everything was creepy, shadows looked sinister, etc, etc.

The story also hits really close to home (pun intended), and for that.. for that I thank the developers. I honestly didn't think I would play a game that told a queer story, and told it so simply, and so well.
  49. May 24, 2014
    This game isn't for everyone as you can tell by the polarizing 'User score distribution'; you'll either love it or hate it.

With that being said, this is imo, what Dear Esther should have been. A story focused game that had a appropriate level of interactivity withing the world you reside in - not just walking around in a linear path. The story itself was sweet and enjoyable and I

The story itself was sweet and enjoyable and I found myself internally cheering for 'Sam' often while uncovering the story.

The only real critique I can give this game, outside of it just not being in the taste of most mainstream gamers, is the price of twenty dollars USD. However you want to look at it, that is a steep price for a game that should last you one and a half to two hours in playtime.

With that being said, if you really like story driven games and like to break away from the norm with your gaming It may just be worth a purchase,or in my case, play a friend's copy through Steam's Family sharing.
  50. Jan 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What an amazing game! This game has me at 50/50. On one hand, I was relieved that it wasn't a typical scare-in-your-face kind of game with cheap scare tactics or ghosts or anything. The game keeps you guessing whether it's a horror or not, but as you play more and more you get the feeling it doesn't take itself seriously and isn't forcing you to fear anything, it's simply what it is. An empty house with many nooks and crannies to explore at your own pace. There is no amount of time you have to do anything, the game even gives you an option to start with all lights on, or all doors unlocked so you can just wander around and explore at your own leisure. However I would highly recommend your first playthrough with the default settings to feel the game as the designers intended. I was a little disappointed that the end came so quickly without any aftermath/alternate scenes/endings. I was hoping for at least a stats sheet at the end showing amount of time played, room most visited, combinations not yet found etc but understandable seeing as it is an indie game :) Really refreshing game however if you just in the mood to spend a couple of hours discovering the unknown at your own pace without the stress of other horrors like Amnesia etc. Expand
  51. Aug 26, 2013
    A beautiful and emotional experience that is not worth more than $5 in the grand scheme of things. That's not to say it isn't worth owning, but I'd wait until enough angry FPS fanboys have sufficiently badmouthed this game into the bargain bin at Steam before checking it out.
  52. Mar 12, 2014
    It may have taken me a long time to get around to finishing Gone Home but damn am I glad I did. I cannot recommend this game enough (If you can call it a game). The story is immerse and very powerful, the sense of everything clicking into place and revealing the truth as you explore the expansive house is the driving force. While the story may become predictable towards the end it's stillIt may have taken me a long time to get around to finishing Gone Home but damn am I glad I did. I cannot recommend this game enough (If you can call it a game). The story is immerse and very powerful, the sense of everything clicking into place and revealing the truth as you explore the expansive house is the driving force. While the story may become predictable towards the end it's still gripping and beautiful, the voice acting is haunting yet warm at the same time and the ambient sounds of the storm outside caught me off guard more than once, the beautiful story works well in contrast to the creepy and empty feel of the environment. Gone home is proof that a different idea will work in the gaming world and is a strong shout from the indie scene. While there may be limited replay value I would strongly suggest you should play through it at least once. Expand
  53. Mar 28, 2016
    Very well done game even if its short, since it has so much detail. Hope to see more from the fullbright company in the future, great experience and a journey back to the 90s when i grew up
  54. Oct 23, 2014
    Gone Home shows how the video game platform can be utilized as a form of narrative. You are placed into an empty house and for two hours layered stories emerge. Beyond the main narrative of the younger sister, Sam, you uncover small clues that weave together a story of each of the family members and the fracturing family. While the game is actually quite restrictive, it is a small houseGone Home shows how the video game platform can be utilized as a form of narrative. You are placed into an empty house and for two hours layered stories emerge. Beyond the main narrative of the younger sister, Sam, you uncover small clues that weave together a story of each of the family members and the fracturing family. While the game is actually quite restrictive, it is a small house and the game directs you pretty heavily (locked doors), at no point did it ever feel like I was being restricted. Expand
  55. Aug 27, 2013
    Not a single shot is fired, not a single blood is spilled and it over in 2 hours. Yet...in just 2 hours the game tells far more story and creates much more compelling characters than most videogames in their 20 hour run.
    Gone Home was amazing experience.
    Gone Home was amazing experience.

It illustrates how far we have come in the videogames industry. Once it was all about scoring the most points or reaching the finish line; now it is about experiencing the lives of individuals and see the world through their lens. The game shows the might of interactive story telling where other entertainment media falls short in delivering.
  56. Aug 20, 2013
    It seems that a lot of people are missing the point of Gone Home. It's unfair to call this a game, it is truly a piece of interactive story telling. If Gone Home is anything, it's a glimpse into a future of entertainment where the task of thinking is given back to the viewer rather than the program maker. Gone Home tells a tail of familiar teenage development in a beautifully haunting way.It seems that a lot of people are missing the point of Gone Home. It's unfair to call this a game, it is truly a piece of interactive story telling. If Gone Home is anything, it's a glimpse into a future of entertainment where the task of thinking is given back to the viewer rather than the program maker. Gone Home tells a tail of familiar teenage development in a beautifully haunting way. Think of this in the same way as you would a thoughtful piece of television drama but with the magical twist that you're the director. Being able to dictate the pace and flow of the piece really does open up a whole new perspective in drama and I for one applaud the team behind Gone Home for being brave enough to complete this vision.
    Yes it has a step asking price, and frankly I think it's too high a price for most. However, ignoring the economics of the situation Gone Home gives me hope that 'gaming' can continue to become a medium more and more accessible but at the same time, more engaging and enlightening. Supporting this game (even with it's ridiculous asking price) gives hope to the medium.
  57. Sep 2, 2013
    I thought the game was beautiful and could not have been done any other way. For the most part the people harping on the game seem to complain about the lack of "gameplay" or something of that nature and honestly I just feel like their missing the point. Videogames are about an experience and I thought this game offered an incredibly unique one. Look at the reviews, its about 50 50I thought the game was beautiful and could not have been done any other way. For the most part the people harping on the game seem to complain about the lack of "gameplay" or something of that nature and honestly I just feel like their missing the point. Videogames are about an experience and I thought this game offered an incredibly unique one. Look at the reviews, its about 50 50 love or hate. So buy at your own risk, but if you can really immerse yourself in it and love it for what it is, theirs a lot of emotional depth. Expand
  58. Mar 14, 2014
    Gone Home is original, and magical.

You are the eldest daughter of a family with problems and secrets. The family has recently inherited a big mansion in the Pacific Northwest, and you arrive home after a year travelling through Europe to find the house empty. Where is everyone? What happened to your mother, father, and sister? The house is fun to explore, and the music and sound
    Gone Home is original, and magical.

The house is fun to explore, and the music and sound effects are top-notch. The endless rainstorm outside the house just adds to the creepiness.

This game was successful because I felt I WAS the daughter coming home. I wanted to know what happened to my sister. I wanted to explore this old house, and got the thrill of discovery as I opened drawers and desks to find clues and notes as to what happened while I was away. I was worried, I was uneasy, I was scared. Just like in real life, the scariest things are not zombies or running out of ammo. It's the worries we have for the health and safety of our families and friends.

The end of the game was a little disjointed for me though, so I award this game an 8. I ended up finishing the game by seeming mistake, clicking on things before (I suppose) I was meant to. It ended rather abruptly and pulled me out of the magic, which is a shame since I fully enjoyed the one hour to 1.5 hour journey I had in getting there.
  59. Jun 8, 2014
    First of all, this game is ONLY for who wants something more than a good story. So, if you want anything else, you won't like it, but if you are the right person for this game, you'll love it. At the beginning it could be a little slow, but when you start discovering what happened, you won't leave the pc. This game is poetic and moving, but not everyone (as you can see from the user score)First of all, this game is ONLY for who wants something more than a good story. So, if you want anything else, you won't like it, but if you are the right person for this game, you'll love it. At the beginning it could be a little slow, but when you start discovering what happened, you won't leave the pc. This game is poetic and moving, but not everyone (as you can see from the user score) can understand that. I read things like "at first i was excepting a murder and jumpscares but than it was boooooring". Well, than why did you buy it? The only reason why i don't give it 10 is the price, too much for a game like this, but if you find it in sale, just buy it. Expand
  60. Sep 15, 2014
    This is a master piece of storytelling. something like I've not experienced before.
    The people who have given this a low score do so for a few valid reasons, one of which is that technically I would not call this a 'game'. At its core it is simply a well told story which you as the 'player' unravel as you explore the house and try to uncover the mystery as to where your family has gone to.
    The main plot about your sister 'Sam' whilst at time it may feel cliched, is very accurate to life growing u up in the 90's, an example of which are the hand written notes passed between her and her school friend Lonnie scattered about the house, with silly drawings on them etc. These and other factors make the experience given by Sam to be memorable, believable, compelling and emotional.
    There are several other sub-plots focusing at the core of each on a family member, your parents and your great Uncle all have their own stories to tell.

If you want action and adventure and car chases and guns, stay VERY far away from this as you will likely hate it. (see the negative comments/bad reviews of the game)

For me, 'Gone Home' did something I've not experienced in a long time from games, and that is the feeling of being truly immersed into the game, into the characters, and their story. I lost track of time, and found myself rummaging through cupboards and boxes looking to try and find out what had happened, and at several moments during the unfolding of the stories thinking to myself as the protagonist 'okay but where the hell is everyone?!?!" out of genuine concern. and that is an experience i have not gotten from a game in many years!
  61. Feb 11, 2015
    Very powerful game. I'll freely admit this isn't going to be to everyone's tastes, but I absolutely loved it. I would compare to Dear Esther, so if you enjoyed that, then I think it's safe to say you'll enjoy this too. In case you aren't familiar with Dear Esther, this game is unlikely to be like anything you've ever played before. Rather than a "game" in the traditional sense, this is aVery powerful game. I'll freely admit this isn't going to be to everyone's tastes, but I absolutely loved it. I would compare to Dear Esther, so if you enjoyed that, then I think it's safe to say you'll enjoy this too. In case you aren't familiar with Dear Esther, this game is unlikely to be like anything you've ever played before. Rather than a "game" in the traditional sense, this is a semi-structured, interactive story. You're roughly guided along a path, but along the way your own curiosity will allow you piece together the events that preceded your arrival. I feel it did this extremely well, so it gets a good score from me.

This game had me hooked from the premise, "girl arrives home from a year abroad to find her house empty and family gone," and from there it never let me go. If this sounds boring to you, then the game isn't for you. If this has whet you're appetite though, then I think you'l love it.

You spend your time in the game (I'd say between two to four hours gameplay) searching through the house, digging into the history of your family and the property, piecing together the bits of information you find into a narrative so that you can untangle the events that preceded to your arrival. The game helps you construct an image of the characters described along the way through discovered notes, newspaper clippings, sound-byte journals, audio cassettes and visual cues.

If I could give one, very slight criticism, it was that I had a pretty good idea of what the ending was going to be a good time before it happened. However, there were enough up and downs along the way to keep me guessing. Overall a brilliant, subtle, and I would add very touching, that would be more accurately designed as an "experience" than a game. Brilliant work, well done.
  62. Feb 13, 2014
    This was amazing. It's a prime example of the evolution of games into art. It's a really simple, and personally story told through the exploration of your character's home. I loved it, glad I bought it, glad I played it.
  63. Sep 8, 2013
    Not sure why there are so many negative user reviews on this game. But I found this game to be absolutely brilliant. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, discovering clues and piecing together what happened to everyone. I highly recommend this game to anyone looking for something a little different and unique.
  64. Sep 14, 2013
    Gone Home is a poignant interactive story with one main story line and a few subordinate story lines. Game play mechanics are simple enough, almost akin to a standard adventure point-and-click, and some would argue that's exactly what Gone Home is. They wouldn't be wrong for saying that. It's a bit more than that though. The entirety of the game (which lasts around four hours) takes placeGone Home is a poignant interactive story with one main story line and a few subordinate story lines. Game play mechanics are simple enough, almost akin to a standard adventure point-and-click, and some would argue that's exactly what Gone Home is. They wouldn't be wrong for saying that. It's a bit more than that though. The entirety of the game (which lasts around four hours) takes place in a suburban home. The story unfolds as you walk around the home and find fraudulent artifacts which stitch the relevant story lines together.

Mood is key in Gone Home. 90's kids will love this game as 90's ephemera is all over the place. Grunge rock, X-Files, a Twin Peaks-esque vibe is channeled with a Pacific northwest setting. VHS tapes and mix-tapes are laying around waiting to be viewed or listened too. A rainstorm rages outside. All of this could easily become cliche in the wrong hands, but is executed tactfully in Gone Home.

Game play is almost non-existent. Think Dear Esther in terms of interaction with the game world. What it lacks in game play it more than makes up for with a compelling mystery and story. To say much more would be to spoil the game somewhat. Simply know that this is more an interactive story before committing to Gone Home. The story is satisfying and definitely worth your while.
  65. Aug 17, 2013
    More of a gorgeous and elegiac tone poem than a conventional video game, Gone Home clearly won't be for everyone. By now you'll likely be aware that the game's mechanics are light even by adventure game standards.

So what? To place some kind of requirement for interactivity and manipulation on games is insulting to the medium and limits its ability to tell more abstract and artful stories. To say that a video game must be some form of escapism is condescending as well. We welcome games that challenge our reflexes or even our intellect, but why do we shun games that invite us to embrace our emotional depth? It almost every other medium, it is a token of high art to be able to imitate life. Genre fiction rarely wins Pulitzers, and when it does, it's celebrated for the depth of its characters, not the inventiveness of its technology or the distance of its planets. Films that win Oscars are by-and-large about ordinary people, not giant robots or superheroes. Yet the high watermarks for video games are, at best, lauded for inserting human depth into otherwise violent, chaotic, and distant adventures.

That's what makes Gone Home so remarkable. It claims that games can instead be about that most precious, difficult, and rich of all things life. It is an obstinate, uncompromising mission statement to that end. It postulates that video games CAN at the very least aspire to be art, and submits an early, if somewhat rough-hewed, demonstration. There are, yes, elements of the game that could use more polish. Some textures leave detail to be desired, and there is occasionally a repetition in less important objects that can break the otherwise masterful trance the game places on its players. But otherwise, the home that The Fullbright Company has created is teeming with humanity, with a lived-in, painterly feel not unlike the sorts of world favored by literary authors. There is, from the start, an immense solemnity to the game (it does take place on a dark and stormy night a rare misstep), but as one unravels the stories lurking inside the Greenbriar estate, there are moments of surprising humor, made all the more poignant from the furrows of sadness from which they spring. The music, most of it diegetically found through cassette tapes, is an incredibly well realized throwback to the riot grrrl era of the early and mid-nineties. In fact, the house is littered with nostalgia porn; the folks at The Fullbright Company have either cleverly designed their cultural touchstones to maximize appeal to retro-obsessed late-twenties hipsters for whom the concept of this game will likely hold the most appeal. After all, the dream of the nineties is alive in Portland (!)

The sort of game Gone Home is couldn't be more clearly advertised. It is a deeply ponderous, subtle experience. Some have heralded it as the next evolutionary step for gaming as a storytelling medium. I would contend that is false. Video games still offer a way to combine tremendous interactivity, emotional investment, and philosophical gravity to narrative that allow for games like Bioshock: Infinite and The Last of Us to be possible in only this medium. That will continue to be the mainstay of what we consider quality gaming, and rightly so. But Gone Home offers a radical alternative, a game without clear cut objectives, without targets and points. A game that allows you to just exist and enjoy and uncover and explore without the typical urgency or high stakes. That, to me, is something that is truly special and fantastically courageous. I can't wait to see what comes next.
  66. Dec 29, 2013
    While not for everybody, Gone Home is a perfect example of how exploratory storytelling can work so well. No you're not shooting things, nothing is blowing up, there's also no other characters to interact with, but Gone Home does a great job of telling you the story, regardless.
  67. Dec 9, 2013
    This was a game experience that was unlike anything I've ever had. It has a very human story that haunted me afterwards. I couldn't stop thinking about the game when I'd finished it. This game is a work of art.

I recommend you read as little as possible about this game before playing it. It's very easy to read something that would spoil the experience of the game. After playing it,

After playing it, though, I recommend reading some of the analyses of the game that various bloggers have posted. This game has an emotional depth that's just unheard of, and it's difficult to understand the whole thing on one play-through. So, save your reading about the game until after you've played it.
  68. Jul 22, 2015
    I know that most people hate this game due to its outrageous asking price (Yes, $20 IS a ripoff I must agree) for such a short game, but I enjoyed the setting of the game, despite the rather lacking story. I would say that at less than $10, it may have gotten better reviews, so I personally believe you should only get it on sale, although this game isn't for everyone.
  69. Aug 16, 2013
    Gone Home is astonishing Great story telling and voice acting Whoever likes indie games like Dear Esther must play this one for sure 9/10 great game
  70. Aug 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone Home is a game which will divide opinion on if it is actually a game, however there is no denying that it is an excellent experience which should be embraced.

Do I consider it a game? Yes, I do. It just not a game we're used to, it has a huge emphasis on atmosphere and story and emotions.

The game is set in the 90's, Ands as the player you're lead around a beautiful yet creepy large American house looking for clues to where your family are after returning to a new home from traveling around Europe for 2 years, during your journey around your new house you pick audio logs from your sister who "guides" to various places.

You get a real sense of what the family is like and feelings towards your sister truly develop as she tells you about her life as you've been away.

I really enjoyed my 3 hours and have recommend this game to my friends, even ones who don
    't play games have enjoyed it.

Well worth the money.
  71. Nov 3, 2014
    this game is just perfect i cant understand this flame about this awesome game this story is really heartbreaking i think this is the best video game in the past 10 years everyone who gives this game less then 8 points is a dumb **** and should die by aids
  72. Aug 19, 2013
    I really enjoyed this. It's not going to be interesting for everyone but I loved slowly combing through the empty house, piecing together the mystery of where the family had gone. The separate threads of each character were incredibly immersive even though I was just picking up receipts, letters, pizza boxes. I have never seen a game environment tell such an engaging story. The sister,I really enjoyed this. It's not going to be interesting for everyone but I loved slowly combing through the empty house, piecing together the mystery of where the family had gone. The separate threads of each character were incredibly immersive even though I was just picking up receipts, letters, pizza boxes. I have never seen a game environment tell such an engaging story. The sister, Sam's, story is incredibly heartfelt and the voice-acted diaries are very high quality. It is a very short game, but I would compare it to a good novel. I felt quite satisfied after finishing it. There is also the novelty of such a well realised physical environment that is so familiar no caves or fantasy kingdoms or WWII bunkers, but the sort of home many of us might have grown up in (okay maybe the richer half). I found myself opening the dishwasher, pulling out the rack, and then stacking the cups in the kitchen cupboards because I can do that in a game now, and not to fill some sort of predestined game task, but because I wanted to see if I could. I can't wait to see where these sorts of games end up. Expand
  73. Dec 27, 2013
    A lovely quiet story that stands your expectations on their heads.... come now, when you go to a home to find stuff scattered around and the place empty when it shouldn't be, you expect to find the former residents dead or worse, don't you? Especially when you find that the house has a past..... Not to spoil it, let's just say if you go in with those ideas in your mind, you'll beA lovely quiet story that stands your expectations on their heads.... come now, when you go to a home to find stuff scattered around and the place empty when it shouldn't be, you expect to find the former residents dead or worse, don't you? Especially when you find that the house has a past..... Not to spoil it, let's just say if you go in with those ideas in your mind, you'll be disappointed. If you simply start exploring and putting pieces together, you won't. And if you are one of those people who runs around in online games calling everyone else a f*g, then you'll REALLY hate it. It has a protagonist who seems carefully designed to elicit hatred from the more despicable of the gaming crowd, so I'm not entirely surprised to see the number of negative reviews from users. Disappointed, though. I like blowing brains out as much as the next guy or making a run through something like Borderlands 1 melting people's faces off, but that isn't ALL of gaming. Part of it is individual taste, of course but some of those who authored the more incoherent of the negative reviews would benefit from professional help. Expand
  74. Aug 19, 2013
    I have to agree to some trolls down here, this is not a game, IT'S MUCH MORE! The level of immersion has nothing to do with those "games". This experience will make you feel more emotions than 99% of your steam catalog in just 2 hours! It's incredible what they achieved with no characters, no animations, just some text and audio log. My only complain is the sound compartment, don't get meI have to agree to some trolls down here, this is not a game, IT'S MUCH MORE! The level of immersion has nothing to do with those "games". This experience will make you feel more emotions than 99% of your steam catalog in just 2 hours! It's incredible what they achieved with no characters, no animations, just some text and audio log. My only complain is the sound compartment, don't get me wrong it's great overall, but that rain effect it's a bad loop that you can hear in every room, they should just fix that. The launch price is also a little high and i got some sluggish frame rate look speed.
    After hours I'm still in the uplifted state this experience put me in. Use the try before buy it formula, if you are not sure. But i guess that after you will see the credits rolling you will be throwing money at your screen!
  75. Aug 30, 2013
    It was short, expensive but definitely more worth it than a movie ticket these days. I love the voice acting, the atmospheric tone of the whole house. Being 39, this was an awesome journey in the mind of teen that I once was. It reminded me of a lot of old memories. I've been a gamer for 30 years and I've shot way too many zombies, bad guys and collected way too many chests, spells, ammosIt was short, expensive but definitely more worth it than a movie ticket these days. I love the voice acting, the atmospheric tone of the whole house. Being 39, this was an awesome journey in the mind of teen that I once was. It reminded me of a lot of old memories. I've been a gamer for 30 years and I've shot way too many zombies, bad guys and collected way too many chests, spells, ammos and this movie really appealed to me as an older gamer. I am hopeful that there's going to be a lot more games like this (and better) for the aging gamer group. Expand
  76. Aug 17, 2013
    Simply an AWESOME game. I was absolutely stricken with emotion upon completing it. I was borderline in tears at the end. This game contains strong, emotional writing. Although the main character may not be entirely relatable to some people, it still demands a huge amount of empathy and feeling for the protagonist as the game documents her struggle. Simply an amazing game that is perfectSimply an AWESOME game. I was absolutely stricken with emotion upon completing it. I was borderline in tears at the end. This game contains strong, emotional writing. Although the main character may not be entirely relatable to some people, it still demands a huge amount of empathy and feeling for the protagonist as the game documents her struggle. Simply an amazing game that is perfect for these modern times where new social issues are brought into spectrum and we have to learn to be more accepting of others. Truly a great game, think of a tape hunting love story. It is, all-in-all a love story. So if that's not what you're into, you might as well not buy this game. Although it's so good, it might be worth considering.
    PROS:
    -Strong, emotionally driven narrative
    -Excellently done soundtrack that fits in perfectly
    -Great interface
    -Exploring the house is fun and rewarding
    -Perfect atmosphere
    -Great love :)
    CONS:
    -Could have been longer
    -Would love to have seen other supporting characters more fleshed out, less as side roles
    CONCLUSION:
    EXCELLENT GAME! Definitely put it somewhere on top of my list of favorites. If you're into romances, this is your game, otherwise, your 18$ may be best spent somewhere else.
  77. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. what's the matter with the player reviews?
    Are you guys serious? This is not a freaking a-dime-a-dozen-warfare-terrorist-attatck-shooter.
    It's a game that has the extremely rare ability to create feelings in the player. I took my time to explore every nook and cranny for 3hrs during a rainy summer evening. The mood this game creates is just unbelievable. Although I'm a heterosexual male, the love between those two girls is something that touches you you get to want the world to understand them.
    Anyways, enough with the spoilers. This is NOT a game for kids/people with low IQs or those who are just un-cult you guys can go shoot the pew-pew fps games of which there are thousands.
    For the others it's a sublime assault on the feelings. Too bad there are not many like it.
  78. Dec 9, 2013
    This games is an example of how games truly can be art. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a masterpiece but the game creates a unique experience that transcends that of other games in the industry. There is no combat, there is no fighting, its just pure exploration as you try to uncover why Katie's family is not home to greet her, and why her sister Sam is not around either. The entireThis games is an example of how games truly can be art. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a masterpiece but the game creates a unique experience that transcends that of other games in the industry. There is no combat, there is no fighting, its just pure exploration as you try to uncover why Katie's family is not home to greet her, and why her sister Sam is not around either. The entire house begs to be explored. You pick up anything from a cup to one of the many letters and notes scattered around the house, each one adding on to the emotional and touching story. The story is also narrated though Katie's sister Sam using narrated Journal entries- as the player continues to find more notes and letters that tell Sam's story. The Journals outline Sam's relationship with a girl named Lonnie, and how close the two of them become. It's a touching relationship that continues to grow throughout the game. The house has a lot to say to you should you take the time to pay attention to every detail. It not only outlines the relationship between Sam and Lonnie but it also gives insight into Katie's Parents and what they are like along with their own story ark (particularly about the Father). There is also a very creepy and unsettling atmosphere that is generated around roaming around a big empty mansion in the middle of the night with a massive storm outside. I found myself looking up and towards the doorway while examining something whenever I heard a loud creaking in the floorboards. There is no danger but that doesn't make the game feel any less unsettling.

This game is not trying to be a game in the traditional sense. Its trying to be more than that. Its trying to tell a story and provide a unique and immersive experience that goes beyond complex gameplay mechanics. If you look at the game in this way and understand what this game is truly trying to be, then it can be a beautiful experience for you. That being said the game really isn't for everyone. If you want more out of the gameplay beyond simple exploration you may find yourself disappointed and among the masses of people who want to bash on a game that they don't appreciated for what it is trying to be.
  79. Dec 8, 2013
    The story unfolds while you walk through the house reading notes written by your character's sister... Great game, although now for everyone.

PD: LOL at all those low ratings...
  80. Dec 22, 2013
    Gone Home is an excellent game that proves that games don't need to just be about killing. The game has actual depth, emotion, and a unique narrative method. I can understand why many would be upset with this game. the game is roughly two hours long, so the full price is a bit much. Thankfully, Steam is known for its sales. It is best to wait until it is marked down. Otherwise, it isGone Home is an excellent game that proves that games don't need to just be about killing. The game has actual depth, emotion, and a unique narrative method. I can understand why many would be upset with this game. the game is roughly two hours long, so the full price is a bit much. Thankfully, Steam is known for its sales. It is best to wait until it is marked down. Otherwise, it is a very simple and engrossing game that I found myself completely absorbed in. Once I started it, I could not get up. I had to finish it. I had to find out what happened. I had to experience it. Many take this game as an actual game. Gone Home is more of an experience than a game. It is an experience in atmosphere, character development, and (most importantly) emotion. This is a game of patience that requires attention. If you feel that video games truly are a form of art, Gone Home should be near the top of your list. Expand
  81. Nov 10, 2014
    Easily the best game ever made, because there are no males in it. This includes the wonderful riot grrl soundtrack; riot grrl is great because once again, there are no males in riot grrl bands.
  82. Aug 16, 2013
    I don't usually give games a 10. In fact, there are only 2 other games that I would consider to be perfect 10s: the original portal and pacman ce dx. Those aren't necessarily the best games I've played, but they are the most perfect, if that makes sense. And that is a word that I would use to describe Gone Home: perfect. It is a game purely comprised of exploration and discovery, withI don't usually give games a 10. In fact, there are only 2 other games that I would consider to be perfect 10s: the original portal and pacman ce dx. Those aren't necessarily the best games I've played, but they are the most perfect, if that makes sense. And that is a word that I would use to describe Gone Home: perfect. It is a game purely comprised of exploration and discovery, with virtually no other gameplay components with the exception of some very simplistic puzzles. And yet, Gone Home manages to make seemingly mundane exploration into some of the most engaging and emotional storytelling I have ever seen. Gone Home will be remembered for its brilliant design and execution, but also as a game that bravely led the charge in addressing contemporary social issues that have not as of yet found much representation in the medium.
    This game is not for everyone. If all you play are shooters and fast paced action games, then Gone Home will bore you. However, if you like slower games or games with interesting ways of telling stories, such as Journey, Heavy Rain, Dear Esther, or even mods like The Stanley Parable, than Gone home is certain to grab you and not let go for its 3 hour duration.
  83. Aug 24, 2013
    Personally I thought the story was lovely and enjoyed it from start to finish, wish it was longer! If it gets any sort of DLC to carry on I would love that.
  84. Sep 11, 2014
    I had no idea what to expect from the game, other than that I knew it was a "figure out what happened using evidence" type game. At first, I was confused and didn't really see the point, but as small portions of the story popped up, my interested spiked. I wanted to find out more and what exactly was going on. I noticed things and began to understand. I had "Ahhhh yes, now I get it"I had no idea what to expect from the game, other than that I knew it was a "figure out what happened using evidence" type game. At first, I was confused and didn't really see the point, but as small portions of the story popped up, my interested spiked. I wanted to find out more and what exactly was going on. I noticed things and began to understand. I had "Ahhhh yes, now I get it" moments, and the story grew. I kept playing, kept going; just to find out more. Played it from start to finish all at once.

Top Notch!
  85. Dec 3, 2013
    I will start off by saying I am 26 years old. I honestly think if you were born after 1990, this game probably won't do much for you. But if you were... this game will be a revelatory masterpiece, that will provide you with two hours that couldn't be more well spent.

I purchased this on the Autumn Steam sale, for mac, and let it download while I went out for the day. When I came home, I dropped the groceries on the counter and went to see if it was done.

After everything booted OK, I planned on finishing up bringing things in, but after the first couple of seconds I was drawn in. Three intense hours later, I looked over and my girlfriend was crying, who I had no idea had been watching the entire time, the front door was still open and my ice cream on the counter was all melty.

This game is one of the most powerful experiences I have ever had, not in a video game, but in any medium.

Some people say this isn't a game, but who gives a it's 1994.
  86. Nov 11, 2013
    Gone Home is an amazing feat by the gaming industry: a game in an empty house where you aren't constantly scared The home of the Greenbriars is a surprisingly warm environment, where you really feel like you're in your own house as you walk around.
    As for the story, it's okay. Typical story of a rebellious '90s teenager turned into a punk chick and discovering she's a lesbian, then meeting her true love. Kinda meh sounding on paper. But what really brings Gone Home to life is the way the story is told. As you wander your home, you find different things that cue a short audio clip where Sam tells you about her endeavors in a new town and a new school. The way she talks to you as her sister makes the game very intimate. Not to mention some stellar voice acting. Unfortunately the ending was a bit of a let down and was very predictable.
    As for the gameplay, the only complaints I have were the unbelievably slow walking speed got very tedious very quickly and the fact that there were a lot of drawers in the house with nothing important in them. I felt like I was promised a game jam packed with stuff to play with, while the only interactable objects seemed to be cassette tapes and papers to read (unless you count throwing dishes across the room).
    The graphics were not great but not unbearable. About what I expected from an indie game.
    All in all. Gone Home was pretty good. Maybe worth the $20 price tag, but i would probably wait for a sale.
  87. Aug 18, 2013
    I am simply shocked at the number of low user scores. Perhaps 'Gone Home's incredible writing, beautiful story, great use of lighting, mysterious house full of secrets, and wonderful interaction aren't for everybody. But I found this game, apart from its short length, to be nearly flawless. Discovering new things about the characters and the house itself through the power of explorationI am simply shocked at the number of low user scores. Perhaps 'Gone Home's incredible writing, beautiful story, great use of lighting, mysterious house full of secrets, and wonderful interaction aren't for everybody. But I found this game, apart from its short length, to be nearly flawless. Discovering new things about the characters and the house itself through the power of exploration was a blast, and the story brought me to tears. A video game doesn't need explosions to be a wonderful demonstration of the medium. I would recommend this game to anybody, especially high school students and parents with teenage children. This game perfectly captured how it feels to be a teenager, how the 90's felt, and how awesome it feels to explore large houses during a thunderstorm. 9/10. If you don't like it, I believe steam is currently having a sale on Call of Duty (They aren't really, I was just being a clever douche). Expand
  88. Aug 18, 2013
    Gone Home is exactly what I expected it to be. The game is like an audio book combined with an exploration game.

The player starts in front of the house, and has to find out the story behind the character the player is playing. The story of this young woman is really well written. Also the voice acting is very nicely done and then I am not even talking about the atmosphere in the house. It has some kind of creepy feeling because of the storm passing over, but the music is very releaving and not creepy at all. The sounds in this game are very well done.
    The gameplay however is very short. In about 45 minutes one can discover most things about the family and the character. Which is a shame, because the developers and writers could have done so much more with the story. The interactiveness of the objects in the game are well implemented and very smooth. Many objects can be picked up and examined up close. And these objects have good detail as well. Which is another good point of this game.
    The developer really has taken much attention to detail in the game. Everything is related to the story and it really looks like the family just moved in. Also the graphics of the game are nice and the developer has used very soft colours in the textures and so on.

Gone Home is not for gamers who want action, but want to discover, explore and want to listen/read a story. And for those players Gone Home is a really good experience. The developer has done a great job on making this story driven game. Is it worth the money? Yes, but only on discount.
  89. Aug 27, 2013
    There are 4 things that make a game, the graphics, the story, the gameplay and how they all come together. In the case of Gone Home, the graphics are modern, the gameplay is fitting for the story they are trying to tell and the story is exemplary. For those who are tired of the same cheesy played out story line that most games spit out from time to time and are looking for something a bitThere are 4 things that make a game, the graphics, the story, the gameplay and how they all come together. In the case of Gone Home, the graphics are modern, the gameplay is fitting for the story they are trying to tell and the story is exemplary. For those who are tired of the same cheesy played out story line that most games spit out from time to time and are looking for something a bit more heart warming and fresh that doesn't involve killing zombies, ghouls or human npcs, this is the game for you.

As one user said who rated this low a combatless detective mystery solving the mysterious disappearance of your family. But what it essentially boils down to is an hour and a half or two of reading notes."

The irony of this statement is, how many detectives do you know go around killing, gunning and running? Most in fact do.... read notes and clues... And this game offers that, better than any mystery/detective game I've played (that wasn't point and click) and via First Person.
  90. Dec 28, 2013
    It pushes the boundaries of how stories can be told within video games and is totally immersive. Play it in the dark with headphones. You really do become the player character and become wholly emotionally invested in the stories being told within the house, both the main story and the stories you have to piece together yourself from clues around the house.
  91. Nov 30, 2013
    Not a traditional game, but good atmosphere, and good story telling. If you're looking for action or difficult puzzles, don't pick this up. If you like exploring, piecing the story together, and enjoy personal stories, definitely pick it up. Took me around 2 hours to finish.
  92. Jan 5, 2014
    If you are going to build a game that pushes the definition of the medium through the wholesale elimination of things like combat and problem solving, and focus entirely on atmosphere, exploration and story, you'd better do a damn good job of it. And Gone Home does a damn good job of it.

In Gone Home you are Kaitlin Greenbriar, 20-year-old white female, and you have come home from a year abroad, and no one is home. But you are greeted by a disconcerting note on the front door and so you find the key, enter the house, and explore, trying to find what, if anything, happened to your loved ones.

You will open cabinets and rummage through drawers and play cassette tapes full of rock and roll songs. You'll search upstairs and downstairs and behind hidden passageways. And in the process you'll learn more about your mother and your father and your long-dead great-uncle than you probably ever wanted to know. But most of all you'll learn about your sister, and the trials and tribulations of being a teenage girl in rural Oregon in the summer of 1995.

I know something about being a teenager in the summer of 1995 because I was one. Granted, I was a boy (still am) and I lived in Northern California, not Oregon, but let me say that this is one of the most pleasantly nostalgic experiences I've ever had. Everything from the cabinet full of pre-recorded X-files VHS tapes to the SNES cartridges to the late 80's holdover furniture to the handmade zines and concert posters is spot on. Nothing felt out of place or inaccurate at all, which goes to show the level of care and detail that went into crafting gone home.

That dedication to creating an authentic experience is also reflected in the voice acting, the writing and even the penmanship. Everything feels that it was written by a teenage girl or a well meaning parent and not just a writer trying to sound like one. At no point is your immersion broken at every point you feel like a young woman exploring her empty childhood home who just wants to make sure that everyone she cares about is okay. Maybe they will be. Maybe they won't be. You're never sure until the end.

The only flaw of the game that stands out and is worth mentioning is that there is a mild paranormal component hinted at during exploration that is completely unnecessary, adds nothing to the ambiance or the gameplay or the storytelling. Perhaps answering the "does the spirit of a long-dead relative haunt these halls?" question could have been another sidequest of sorts. As is, it feels tacked on and is distraction to the main story. It should have been played up or eliminated completely.

8/10. A good story well told in a complete if smallish world. Roughly 2 hours of gameplay with little to no replay value. Quality realistic art and graphics that lend to believability and immersion. Excellent voice acting and music completes the package. Great feels. Highly recommended.
  93. Jun 23, 2014
    Gone Home is a fantastic game, and it's a shame that so many Metacritic users have rated it poorly just because they can't do a 360 noscope in it. It's true, Gone Home isn't a competitive game. But, it's a beautiful game nonetheless. The sense of exploration and emotion that this game gives is astounding. 10/10 don't believe anyone who says otherwise.
  94. Jul 6, 2014
    This game surprised me with how brilliant it is. A great story told perfectly. I don't usually get too emotional with games, but felt the feels in the second half of this game. Awesome soundtrack and nostalgia plus for those who lived through the 90s.
  95. Feb 13, 2016
    When people argue that videogames are not the future of storytelling, I would tell them to look here.

While I concede that shallow yet entertaining video games such as the Call of Duty franchise, or any arena-type MMORPG, do not display the emotional trials of ourselves as human beings in any sort of groundbreakingly intelligent light, they also have their merits. In my opinion there are two types of videogames in most situations: interactive storytelling and pure entertainment. While I enjoy playing games like Black Ops 2, Planetary Annihilation, Castle Crashers, and Gang Beasts, I play those knowing that I won't take anything away, besides the fun of playing with friends or solo. I don't not expect any crushingly deep emotional story or mind breaking moral dilemma. I expect fun, and those games easily meet those expectations. Then there are games like Gone Home. This game, as well as Life is Strange, the upcoming Firewatch, and the Telltale Games series are meant to be played as you would read a book. You are meant to wholeheartedly invest yourself into these characters and plotlines, to empathize and sympathize, to develop one sided relationships with the protagonists and antagonists; wishing the best for the former, and maybe death to the latter. I’m not saying you can't invest yourself into the stories of entertainment orientated games like Tomb Raider, the Last of Us, or Uncharted. Or even Black Ops. If you really relate to and care about Alex Mason, his family and his plight, I can't fault you for that. I’m just saying in my opinion that isn't truly what those games are meant for.

So, moving forward with the theme that games like Gone Home are meant to affect the player as a good novel would, emotionally, we can observe how the story of this game can be judged as such. Despite the rather snoopish feeling of going through a teenage girl's things for a few hours; if you manage to put that strange, uneasy feeling behind you, and put yourself in the shoes of the returning Katie, who has come home to an empty house and needs to investigate this oddity, the game really does come into its own. I, personally, felt all the emotions I would if my sister were to disappear. And the plot points revealed further through Sam's wonderfully voice acted journals each tore at my heartstrings, and occasionally I felt myself rushing to unlock the next entry, to reveal more of the mystery, one that is not scary or action-packed, but is still engaging and intriguing. If it was a novel, I would buy it. As a videogame, I found that the interactivity of the world; drawers, lights, drawers was well done, quite immersive. I found myself turning off lights as I left rooms (especially after finding a scolding note from the parents about the bad habit of leaving them on) and closing doors to respect the virtual privacy of the virtual non-rendered family members. And as for the secrets and simple puzzles like lock combinations and hidden areas, I felt they were fitting, without being forced.

All in all, I enjoyed this game to the very end. I played it all the way through and felt the same emotional craving for more as if my favorite book or movie had just ended, and I have to tear myself away from these beautiful characters to embrace reality again. If you like to connect to characters, to feel with them, and follow a story that you can choose to flesh out completely or leave as bare as you feel suits you; if you enjoy games that make you feel human, that make you think about and connect your life to these digital people you cannot possibly know. If you enjoy good storytelling, buy this game.

But don't expect action.

Edit: I think the price of this game is a bit much. I wasn't aware of the pricing until recently because I got this in a humble bundle. Wait for it to go on sale. It's like paying for the hardcover version of a book when you can wait for the softcover.
    Im not Spoole, a good game doesnt have to work out to be a dollar an hour, but an hour and a half doesn't equal $20 in my opinion, unless its the greatest story ever told, or replayable like a ************.
    It is a great story though. And a good game.
  96. Oct 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's rare when I am completely surprised by a story in any medium. This a game that has been masterfully crafted to convey a powerfully emotional story, whilst throwing you completely off the scent on what you expect to happen. I loved the atmosphere this game creates with the most simple of storytelling aides: light, sound and the player's own mind.

P.S. Soundtrack-wise, I loved the cassettes dotted around with its 90s punk on.
  97. Aug 25, 2013
    This is MEANT TO BE A SHORT GAME!

This is not a traditional game. It's a short story. I also contend that one should not judge a game based on the price point. You can argue it isn't worth x dollars due to the length, but it shouldn't affect how you'd rate the experience. Take Crusader Kings II, Halo, BioShock series, etc. These are games that people absolutely love. If they all
    This is MEANT TO BE A SHORT GAME!

This is not a traditional game. It's a short story.

I also contend that one should not judge a game based on the price point. You can argue it isn't worth x dollars due to the length, but it shouldn't affect how you'd rate the experience. Take Crusader Kings II, Halo, BioShock series, etc. These are games that people absolutely love. If they all come out at, say, $60 and you would grade one 9/10. Does that mean that the game is a better game at $20 on sale? Or that it's garbage at $80? No. Same great game, different price. Might be you wait for it to go on sale, that's fine. But you shouldn't trash the game based on this.

Having said that, on to the game.

I enjoyed every minute I played. There weren't that many minutes, but I was thoroughly engaged throughout. There are multiple stories presented, many in very few words. Putting together clues to build the story in your head is a wonderfully fantastic method to bring the player into an experience.

To say too much would spoil the game. I won't do that.

I enjoyed the game very much. As to whether it's worth whatever cost is attributed to it is up to each individual person. There isn't really any replay value, but the story is fantastic to me. Perhaps my favorite aspect of the game is that it made me feel like I was a kid in 1995 again. Remembering home made copies of movies, 2 to a VHS tape. Making mix tapes. Being scared of dark room (I was 7 then). And those punch button light switches were the same we had in my childhood home.

I am fully behind this game and I hope that this game serves as a catalyst for change in gaming. It's possibly the beginning of a new genre!
  98. Feb 3, 2014
    Terrific experience and quite memorable. Holds your attention by keeping what happens next uncertain and since you care about the characters this holds the tension, espacially towards the end. Probably is a new genre, not quite a game and yet is a game, an interactive story where you do not determine the outcome... we need a new category. The great voice acting and emotional honestyTerrific experience and quite memorable. Holds your attention by keeping what happens next uncertain and since you care about the characters this holds the tension, espacially towards the end. Probably is a new genre, not quite a game and yet is a game, an interactive story where you do not determine the outcome... we need a new category. The great voice acting and emotional honesty bump up the score for me. Expand
  99. Aug 17, 2013
    Really great game. Different than I though. Too short though or I would have given 10/10. However, the detail and story they put into it makes up for any other issues. They need to make more indie games like this.
  100. Sep 12, 2013
    People need to realize that this isn't a game in the traditional sense, but more so an experience. People that are complaining about there not being enough mechanics, or that it wasn't long enough, or that it was too easy, are all COMPLETELY missing the point. I thought the game was a fantastic way to show how you can tell a brilliant story without seeing another character. Not only that,People need to realize that this isn't a game in the traditional sense, but more so an experience. People that are complaining about there not being enough mechanics, or that it wasn't long enough, or that it was too easy, are all COMPLETELY missing the point. I thought the game was a fantastic way to show how you can tell a brilliant story without seeing another character. Not only that, but it instills that fear that everyone has felt when walking through a dark empty house when no one's there. I thought the game was wonderful, and it's a shame that people are bashing it so much. The ONLY complaint I have is that $20 is a little steep. The whole experience is about 2-4 hours tops with minimal replayability. Pick it up on a sale though. Expand

1. Feb 10, 2015
    Grow Home is an interesting surprise from a publisher who get used to mismanaging his own IP's. This platformer like no other has everything going for you and for a very low price tag. You can easily give it a try.
  2. Jan 5, 2014
    A beautiful, emotionally engaging, artfully crafted game, completely centered around exploration and telling a mature story through interaction.
  3. Dec 2, 2013
    A story that will move some and alienate others.