5.3

1. Dec 26, 2014
    This is one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences of the past year.

The story is good, the exploration and the setting are great. It's a joy to play a game that feels like it's story is good enough without having to fluff it with repetitive kill stuff or solve overly complex and out of place puzzles. I mean, my house isn't like a typical adventure game where you have to figure out
    This is one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences of the past year.

I mean, my house isn't like a typical adventure game where you have to figure out how to make a troll drop a banana, to give to a monkey to drop a socket wrench set, to fix a car so you can to upstairs and continue the story. It's nice to see an exploration game be all about exploration and the story. I will definitely be checking out the next game that Fullbright makes.
  2. Dec 25, 2014
    It's absolutely awful - this is a "game" that you can complete (without cheats) in 1 MINUTE, 58 SECONDS.

I use the term "game" extremely loosely, because in reality, it's just the inner workings of a white whiny hipster's mind, with some awkward and clumsy lesbian wish fulfilment thrown into the mix.

If you hate games, buy this. You'll LOVE It.
  3. Dec 25, 2014
    With a total playtime of one hour there is little to uphold the $20 price tag. This could have been a demo but not a full title.

The game sets up a good atmosphere for a thriller or horror.
  4. Dec 22, 2014
    ..in short...
    This is NOT A GAME..it's an interactive story.
    And mostly streamlined, there's no player choice, action or reaction and there's not any effect from the surroundings, you'll just be reading letters from all around the huge house.
  5. Dec 22, 2014
    I'm typically not a fan of games that focus on story rather than gameplay, but that's because typically the stories aren't very good and games need the gameplay to balance out the improbabilities or dullness or cliches of the story. I am a fan of Beyond Two Souls; I don't simply hate the genre, but I think it's difficult to pull off a game without putting in any gameplay.

What you have

What you have with Gone Home is essentially a big empty house that you explore to learn about a story with characters not usually in games. I was disappointed by how bland the story ended up being after seeing such rave critic reviews, and there's no replayability. I feel like I was robbed of $20 when the game is probably worth no more than $5.

Bottom line: I would not recommend this game because there are no fun gameplay mechanics, the story is rather dull (you can't just make atypical characters and call it a good story), it's over-priced, overhyped, and I don't believe it achieves what it set out to do. I really have no idea what all the critics are raving about.
  6. Dec 18, 2014
    Gone home is an interactive plot based game that takes players into the eyes of Kaitlin Greenbriar, a 21-year-old girl from Boon County, Oregon. Kaitlin (Katie) has just returned from a year backpacking in Europe. She comes home at 1 AM to a dark house, a distressing note from her sister and nobody left in the house.
    The game’s plot is revealed through an original medium and, as the
    The game’s plot is revealed through an original medium and, as the central focus of the game, is very well thought out. Instead of Katie experiencing events or making decisions as a character would in a normal game, the player must uncover the entire plot through exploration of items. Character development and plot progression are found in the writing and media littered about the house. Each of the game’s characters is advanced through letters, notes and artifacts. Katie’s younger sister, Sam, writes journal entries to Katie, which are read to the player after finding related objects owned by Sam. In one sense this aspect of the game reduces the realism, however that is more than made up for by the increased character connection that is developed in these audio journals. This method of storytelling is very innovative, however it relies heavily on the player to take their time and read every paper they find. Furthermore, even with a cooperative player, some of the items are difficult to find or understand, which leads to players missing some of the key plot points.
    Gone Home’s gameplay has several flawed yet several redeeming elements. One of the major flaws is that the player moves too slowly. Most of the game is surprisingly linear despite the open nature of a house, which means the player doesn’t need to spend a lot of time in transition from one room to the next. However, there are several portions of the game that require revisiting old rooms, which results in some long walks through the house. In addition, if a player is replaying the game while listening to developer commentary or doesn’t need to view every object for some other reason, they are stuck moving at the same, slow speed. However, the sound and the atmosphere of the game are incredible. The music sets an accurately creepy tone, yet is somewhat nostalgic for the journal readings. The lightning also scares the crap out of you.
    Although there are some flaws, Gone Home is incredibly well made for an indie game, and has more in depth and relatable storylines than many big games. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who wants to experience a short, yet rich interactive story.
  7. Dec 17, 2014
    Gone Home is a first-person interactive adventure game from Fullbright. Gone Home puts you in the shoes of Caitlyn Greenbriar, after she comes home from a trip around the world. The Greenbriar family (Samantha, Terrence, Janice, and Caitlyn) recently moved into a new house, which Terrence inherited from his uncle Oscar. Given only a POV perspective and the ability to interact with almostGone Home is a first-person interactive adventure game from Fullbright. Gone Home puts you in the shoes of Caitlyn Greenbriar, after she comes home from a trip around the world. The Greenbriar family (Samantha, Terrence, Janice, and Caitlyn) recently moved into a new house, which Terrence inherited from his uncle Oscar. Given only a POV perspective and the ability to interact with almost every object in the house, you are free to discover the lives of each member of the family.

Gone Home is known for its immersion, and it does a fantastic job of accomplishing complete immersion. Beginning with the scenery, the house is adorned with hardwood floors, antiquated wall covers and light fixtures, and a creaky floorboard sound heard every so often. The house is designed to make the player feel as though something is wrong with the house, and encourages the player to explore. There are sounds that come from the house and the environment outside of the house such as thunder from the storm outside, the floorboards creaking, and the rain storming down onto the house. With sounds on randomized timers, there is a possibility for picking up an object from the floor to be a much more special event, with the possibility for lightning and thunder to provide a jump scare.

The game gives itself to be interpreted more as an interactive story than a game. The 3 possible paths of the family members in the story are hard to follow, unless you take your time to savor the game, and delve deep into their stories. The story is centered around Sam’s development as she moves into her new high school, and meets a new friend, but you can also look around the house to discover the past of Terrence and Janice. The game will give you what you give it, and if you spend time to discover what Fullbright has left, you will have a wonderful time experiencing the immersion of the story.

I immensely enjoyed this game and would recommend it to everyone who enjoys discovering a world with a deep story. I would rate the game 9/10.
  8. Dec 17, 2014
    I enjoyed the game alot. If you like just exploring a world, and letting the world tell its story, then you should like this game. There's also more going on than the main storyline if you let yourself soak in the story. It's a story about family and family history. There's a lot been written, but I found myself engaged the entire way through, and felt the pacing and development were spotI enjoyed the game alot. If you like just exploring a world, and letting the world tell its story, then you should like this game. There's also more going on than the main storyline if you let yourself soak in the story. It's a story about family and family history. There's a lot been written, but I found myself engaged the entire way through, and felt the pacing and development were spot on.

It's not a scary game. I don't like scary/tense games. This is not like that. Don't let concerns like that bother you. It's atmospheric - stormy night, big empty old unfamiliar house... but nothing there is gonna eat you!

Other games that might have similar gameplay experience. Dear Esther (I liked Gone Home better than Dear Esther) and perhaps Lifeless Planet (which I really enjoyed). To The Moon is probably a similar experience (but different art aesthetic.)

If this sounds the least bit interesting, I suggest you give it a try. I'm glad I played
  9. Dec 16, 2014
    Gone Home is an independent first-person adventure game developed by The FullBrightCompany. It follows 21 year old Katie Greenbriar as she returns home after spending a year travelling Europe and tries to piece together what has happened to her family.

The good: The game has an excellent atmosphere, and there is an impressive quantity of easter eggs and hidden backstory. Having to search for clues in order to progress the narrative adds satisfaction to what could have been a straightforward narrative. The connections that can be drawn between these clues is truly impressive, as is the way the characters are so fleshed-out and rounded. Visuals and sound are simplistic, adding to the game's realistic feel.

The bad: As good as the narrative was, it often felt like some extremely interesting characters were sidelined. Navigating feels somewhat clunky and slow, but this only comes during the occasional backtrack. Without spoilers, the ending is definitely polarizing, providing a satisfying conclusion to some (but not all) of the threads introduced in the game.

Overall, Gone Home will appeal to those who enjoy games for the plot as much or more than for the gameplay. This is the kind of game that has to be played patiently; the player will only get as much out as they put in.
  10. Dec 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After a year abroad in Europe, Katie Greenbriar returns to the new house that her family has just moved into. Upon her arrival, she finds a note on the front door from her sister Sam, warning her not to go searching for the family. Once in the house, it is clear that there is nobody home. From this point on, it is Katie’s mission to find out where her family has gone.
    Overall, I believe that the greatest strength of this game is its plot. I thoroughly enjoyed looking through the various rooms and finding numerous clues that led me to the end of the game. I think that the allusion to external video games and significant figures makes the story more intertwined with the real world, causing the game to seem more realistic. Furthermore, I believe that although the game has a limited amount of story driven gameplay, it compensates through the various Easter eggs (such as the purple basketball) and deviating plotlines, which lead you to consider controversial theories. For example, consider the theory that Uncle Oscar abused his nephew Terrence, who is the father of Katie and Sam. Though never directly stating this theory, the creators of the game are able to lay the foundations for the player to make this interpretation.
    The mechanics of the game are actually quite good. Although the graphics are not amazing, they are sufficient for the user to easily play through the game without any issues. I don’t really think that it is necessary for the game to have top of the line graphics and visuals because aside from making the game more realistic, they don’t really serve a purpose. One of the stronger mechanical aspects of the game is the audio. Throughout various point in the game, you come across journal entries written (and dictated) by Sam. Instead of just finding pieces of paper with what Sam wrote in her journal, small sections are dictated after finding something relevant to that entry in the game. This is helpful because it adds emotion to the information Sam is providing.
    One of the weakest aspects in the game is the ending. I believe that the plot of the game is genuinely strong, and so the ending should do the plotline justice. However, I believe this is not the case. In my opinion, the ending should instill excitement in the player, especially since the game is based on the premise of mystery. I was left with a feeling of disappointment when I realized what had actually happened to the family, not due to the fact that they had been harmed, but due to the fact that the majority of the plot, including the link to Oscar, was of no relevance.
    Overall I enjoyed playing Gone Home and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in the mystery genre. The plot has extreme depth considering the total playtime given to the player, and the mechanics of the game are quite strong. With the exception of the ending, it is a great game.
  11. Dec 16, 2014
    Gone Home tells the story of Katie Greenbriar, a 19-year-old girl who arrived home to find that nobody is home. The player controls her as she makes her way through the house and learns about her family and where they’ve gone. The game’s narrative focuses mainly on Katie’s younger sister, Sam.
    Gone Home has come under much criticism for not being a traditional video game. It is less focused on the action aspect of gaming and instead is oriented towards storytelling and exploration. Although plenty of people disapproved of the main storyline for being cliché, I thought it was interesting and suspenseful. There are plenty of unexpected twists that we find out about Katie’s sister Sam. The game’s approach to plot discovery is interesting, as it makes the player feel like they are figuring things out themselves, instead of being spoon-fed a plot. We find clues about the family’s past throughout the house through newspapers, letters and other items that could be found in anybody’s house. Using these, we are able to piece together backstories for all the main characters, as well as many of the supporting characters in the game.
    One issue I had with the game was how short it was. The game takes about 4 hours to play through completely the first time. This is very short for a video game, and since there is very little replay value in the game, that’s all you get. On top of this, there is a shortcut which allows the player to finish the game in less than 5 minutes, which I discovered my first time playing the game. The length of the story being told limited the game length, and it couldn’t have been any longer without it dragging on.

Gone Home is an innovative game that tells multiple stories at once, powered by the player’s exploration. It is a very plot-based game and has many intriguing backstories hidden throughout the house. Although it was short, I don’t see any way of making it longer without the main story getting boring. I definitely enjoyed this game and look forward to it spawning many other games of the same style.
  12. Dec 16, 2014
    This is an awesome experience. You arrive at an empty house, and have to figure out what happened to your family while you were travelling.

I really felt my character's discomfort and fear as I tried to understand. Arriving home in the middle of the night, in a storm, and finding no-one there... it's probably nothing, right? You'll all laugh about it tomorrow... right? If you were

If you were around in the 90s, you'll enjoy seeing cassette players and hand-written notes and other objects you remember from back then. These made the game feel very personal to me.
  13. Dec 16, 2014
    Drenched from the rain, Katie drops off her luggage on the front porch of her parents new home. A note is on the door, it’s from Sam. “Please, please don’t go digging around the house to find out where I am,” the letter reads. But Katie is still trapped outside in the pouring rain, searching for the Christmas Duck, where her parents usually hide the key. But little does she know the darkDrenched from the rain, Katie drops off her luggage on the front porch of her parents new home. A note is on the door, it’s from Sam. “Please, please don’t go digging around the house to find out where I am,” the letter reads. But Katie is still trapped outside in the pouring rain, searching for the Christmas Duck, where her parents usually hide the key. But little does she know the dark secrets of each member of her family are about to be revealed. Gone Home’s has revolutionized the storytelling aspects of video games through authentic characters and an unbelievable story.

In Gone Home, the player takes on the avatar Katie, who just got back from a one-year trip around Europe. Gone Home tells the story of Katie’s little sister Sam. Sam’s story is told through items scattered throughout the house. Whenever these specific items are picked up, music starts to play and the voice of a teenage girl calms out the thundering background noise. The voice acting for Sam is well done to the point where it is like the player is reading her own diary. The voice acting real to the point where the player could foster a connection with Sam and what she is going through in life right now. The voice acting is defiantly a highlight for the game due to it being so good that the player can tell when Sam is happy or frustrated with the events in her life.

Gone Home gets the player to enjoy adventuring by all the items scattered around the house. Every item is perfect to the very last detail, and players can tell that the developers work into making them this way. The items make the player feel like they are rummaging through somebody else’s home. The graphics make the items are more than just items, their art; making this highlight for players while adventuring throughout the house.

Even though that the games item’s try to get the player to explore the house, players will find the game slow due to their not being any run or jump mechanic. The only type of movement that the player has is a slow and casual walk. Players can get bored of walking from point A to point B constantly, which can take away from the fantastic story that most players enjoy. As well, the game has only takes three hours to play and is not a good investment for a long term financial standpoint compared to some other games that give infinite hours of enjoyment.

Gone Home is a good game due to it’s unique storytelling and graphics gives players a new perspective on what the future of video games can be. A fair warning, this game may not be for everybody because of its uniqueness. Fans of mainstream video games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto may not enjoy this game due to it being slow and not fast paced like first person shooters and adventure games. Overall, it’s story was fantastic and it was enjoyable to play.
  14. Dec 16, 2014
    Gone Home is a brilliantly thought out video game that exposes the life of a troubled family in the ‘90s and the rebellious nature of teenagers. Kaitlin Greenbriar returns to Oregon after a year touring abroad in Europe, expecting her younger sister and parents to greet her at their new home. However, Kaitlin arrives only to find a suspicious note on the front door, and her family missing.Gone Home is a brilliantly thought out video game that exposes the life of a troubled family in the ‘90s and the rebellious nature of teenagers. Kaitlin Greenbriar returns to Oregon after a year touring abroad in Europe, expecting her younger sister and parents to greet her at their new home. However, Kaitlin arrives only to find a suspicious note on the front door, and her family missing. Throughout the duration of the game, Kaitlin attempts to piece together different artifacts and clues left around the isolated house in order to conclude the reason behind her family’s mysterious departure.

Gone Home beholds an intense storyline with many distinct features included throughout different parts of the game. Kaitlin is left distraught after discovering both her parents and Sam (her younger sister) have abandoned the house for unknown reasons. The isolated house instantly becomes the main setting and pinnacle of the game. Gone Home is a portal of discovery for the player to explore and cherish, with many different rooms, drawers, and shelves to search in order to find clues and different items that support the reason why Kaitlin’s family has disappeared. Throughout the entirety of the game, the house remains a creepy and unpredictable setting for the player. This enhances the overall experience for the player, as they are always aware of their surroundings in the game and are kept thinking about what will happen next. The storyline in Gone Home allows for the player to have an open world experience while searching for clues hidden throughout the mysterious house.

The sound and graphics utilized in Gone Home are simply outstanding. Players not only play the game, they are immersed in the experience through the clever use of sound effects and various elements of graphics. Journal entries left by Sam are read to the players throughout the game, using Sam’s actual voice! The creaking of floorboards, the shuttering of blinds, the howling of wind, and the crack of lightning are dominant throughout the progressive course of the game. The graphics make the house and surrounding area seem very realistic, and contain architectural references to the year 1995, when Gone Home takes place. All these effects combined allow for a realistic and provoking adventure while exploring around the house.

Although a short endeavor, Gone Home contains a very elaborate storyline that can be savored by the player. The game was very enjoyable not only because of its creative story, but because of the fantastic audio and visual effects that give the player a sense that they are trapped in the game too. Gone Home is a strong recommendation for those that like a thrilling mystery, a great audiovisual experience, and enjoy the elements of an open world game.
  15. Dec 15, 2014
    Gone Home by the Fullbright Company is a video game that tells the story of a girl, Kaitlyn Greenbriar, coming to her family’s new home after a year of back packing to find that her family is missing. Through clues that she finds around the house, she begins to put together the shocking tale of what happened to her mother, father, and younger sister.

In terms of gameplay, Gone Home did

In terms of gameplay, Gone Home did not have much to offer. From the get go, it was known that Gone Home was created to be a very narrative driven game, rather than a game that was purchased for its gameplay mechanics. Although there wasn’t much gameplay, there were some elements that were integral for the game and its story. One of these includes the idea that you are able to interact with almost all of the objects in the house. This helped enforce the idea that you were actually in a house, and it gave you more freedom to do whatever you wanted, even going as far as being able to throw everything in the kitchen on to the ground.

The graphics were pretty typical of an indie game, primarily due to the fact that game was created on the Unity engine, a common engine used by indie developers. However, some of the items around the house contain numerous references to other video games, including references to the Bioshock franchise, most notably the Bioshock 2 DLC, Minerva’s Den. This is because all of the creators worked together on the DLC before the creation of the game at 2K Marin, and left the company due to the fact that they wanted more creative freedom.

The sound and music in this game is very well composed. The sound in this game consists of the storm that is occurring outside, the creaking of opening doors and the eerie sounds that naturally occur in the house. This helps enforce the ominous feeling of going around a house that you have never been to before to find your missing family. The music, which was composed by Chris Remo, is able to convey very strong emotions whenever a journal entry by Sam is played. The music hits the nail on the head when trying to show emotions such as confusion, sadness, happiness and hopefulness.

Gone Home goes above and beyond in its writing. The story touches on something that we can all relate to, being a teenager in high school and going through tough situations, which is shown by Sam and her issues with her family and friends. Along with the story of Sam, there are multiple other stories, such as the love life of Janice Greenbriar, and the dark childhood of Terrence Greenbriar. The novelty of these stories is that they are only found in the game through extension exploring, due to the fact that the stories are found through clues that can lie just beneath the surface.

In conclusion, Gone Home is a brilliant game, and can be a great experience for a certain type of gamer. This may not be the game for the average FPS gamer, but for someone who has enjoyed the narrative aspects of a game, and wants a combination of a good book and an interactive video game, Gone Home is an absolutely fantastic game for that.
  16. Dec 15, 2014
    Fundamentally about family conflicts Gone Home is a game that focuses on the family of Katie Greenbriar, whom you assume the role of in game. Set in 1995 in the eerie setting of an old, empty mansion in the middle of the night with a thunderstorm raging the player is set up for jump scares. Told through personal notes between members of the family you learn about each of the familyFundamentally about family conflicts Gone Home is a game that focuses on the family of Katie Greenbriar, whom you assume the role of in game. Set in 1995 in the eerie setting of an old, empty mansion in the middle of the night with a thunderstorm raging the player is set up for jump scares. Told through personal notes between members of the family you learn about each of the family member’s deep secrets and hidden relationships. Arriving back from Katie’s trip around Europe and exploring the house that your family moved into while you were away it slowly becomes clear that some major developments have occurred.
    This game, or as I like to think of it interactive book, was developed by four people, most of whom met through their work on Bioshock. They left to start Fullbright and Gone Home is their first game. Steve Gaynor the seeming leader of the company has been praised for his story telling through adventure-based, detailed worlds in his previous endeavour Minerva’s Den, dlc for Bioshock 2. This experience is worthy of equal praise. The point of Gone Home is to provide a meaningful story about growing up and conflict through an engaging format, but it does double duty to remind the ever growing list of fps’s that first-person doesn’t have to be so rough.
    The graphics in this game are another major talking point. Today, for a game to be considered modern it generally has to have state of the art graphics and high-level engines, neither of which Gone Home has. (You can’t even jump!) For me this actually added to the experience because it led the player to look past the visuals, some of which were stunning anyway, and focus on the story. It also let the developers put in some quirky references. It’s partially because of the graphics limitation that the story came about (one more argument for indie games) because of the low poly graphics rendering and animating humans would have been clunky and looked stupid, so poof! empty house and interesting story line.
    The final area that needs to be mentioned is the musical score. Throughout the game it changes but always fits the mood and just sounds pleasant. The Riot Grrl sound scene that accompanies Sam in the game is both applicable and historically accurate, something that resonates with a lot of the games players.
    In all I would say I enjoyed playing this as an interactive story not a game. If that appeals to you, great, if not you might feel cheated by getting this. The game requires a lot of deep thinking and is meant to connect with the player, everyone has something.
  17. Dec 15, 2014
    The Fullbright Company’s “Gone Home” is an interactive first person adventure game, where the player assumes the role of Katie Greenbriar, who has just come back from a trip around Europe. She finds a note on the door, and is tasked with finding out the mystery as to where her family is. As the player ventures through the house, you can start to understand how it will unroll, based offThe Fullbright Company’s “Gone Home” is an interactive first person adventure game, where the player assumes the role of Katie Greenbriar, who has just come back from a trip around Europe. She finds a note on the door, and is tasked with finding out the mystery as to where her family is. As the player ventures through the house, you can start to understand how it will unroll, based off the vibe that the house gives off, the constant noises from outside and voice recording's Sam has left.
    Throughout the journey that the game is, there are many different reasons why on game sites such as Metacritic and IGN it is rated so highly. The narrative is phenomenal and the way The Fullbright Company has captivated this story through the eyes of one of the protagonists is very interesting. The graphics are really good considering independent video game designers almost always have less money then big time game developers such as Infinity Ward, or Bethesda. The sound of the game helps to set the mood as a dark and mysterious setting, which adds to the scare factor that could pop-up and scare you at any moment. The game play is a first person narrative which allows the player to go anywhere in the house and explore from end to end the boundless references and artifacts the storyline of Gone Home has to offer.
    Gone Home is a great game which gives many different experiences which most people aren’t used to because it is not like Call of Duty or Halo, except the game has many flaws too, which takes away from having a 10/10 from myself, and other critics. The ending for example is very anti-climatic, which hindered my experience of the game because I was expected a ghost or a murder. As well, there are restrictions as to what can be put in your inventory just being able to put keys in is a bit disappointing because if you need to take screenshots of letters, and pictures then its tough to go back and find it rather than just having it in the inventory. Lastly, the game lacks excitement because it is slow, you cannot run and seems tedious at times to maneuver around the house.
    The game for me was enjoyable but I wouldn't recommend it because it was a bit slow and could have had much more pleasure playing it. It was fun although if I had to pay full price for it I would not as the game only allows for three hours roughly of in game, play, which does not represent the true value as a consumer.
  18. Dec 15, 2014
    Gone Home is a first-person, single player, point and click, search and discover game where the player explores a storyline and eventually solves a mystery. The player enters the game, or interactive story, in the year 1995, from the narrative point of view of Katie Greenbriar, a 21-year-old who has just arrived back to Portland, Oregon from a backpacking trip in Europe, only to discoverGone Home is a first-person, single player, point and click, search and discover game where the player explores a storyline and eventually solves a mystery. The player enters the game, or interactive story, in the year 1995, from the narrative point of view of Katie Greenbriar, a 21-year-old who has just arrived back to Portland, Oregon from a backpacking trip in Europe, only to discover that her family appears to be missing from their gloomy, newly inherited mansion. Finding nobody home, it is up to Katie to discover what has transpired over the last year. The player begins the task of piecing together clues which objects around the mansion reveal. Some surprising details reveal the main plot while others simply enrich the background stories of the characters’ pasts and their intentions for the future.

Gone Home was developed in 2013 by The Fullbright Company, which is owned and operated by three developers who had previously worked on a downloadable content expansion pack for BioShock Infinite owned by 2K, a big budget gaming developer. Such gaming developers typically produce games that are online multiplayer, involving leaderboards, high quality graphics, and which usually have a first-person shooter aspect to them. Gone Home is a completely different type of game where the focus is on a memorable storyline and the objective is to explore the lives and actions of the story’s characters to the point where you reach the conclusion of the story and thus the end of the game.

The gameplay in Gone Home consists of self-determined exploration of different rooms where, for example, the gamer examines notes, objects, and audio journals spoken in the voice of Katie’s sister, Sam. Uncovering these well-thought-out details was the most captivating part of the whole game and did peek my curiosity as to what they would reveal about the story. Simulated ambient noises and audio effects were well done and professionally produced creating a realistic environment.

A drawback and ultimate frustration about the gameplay was the complete focus on the steps of point, click and examine in order to make discoveries and keep the game going. There was a monotony to the clicking of a mouse in order to reveal the information the objects contained. The graphics fairly were fairly simple when compared with the photorealistic graphics of other games today, but it is what to expect from an indie game. Another downside for me was the fact that my actions did not determine any different outcome to the story, rather I was only making discoveries. The fact that the game has an ending that takes roughly two-hours to complete does not lend itself to being a good value for $20, especially as it has little to no replay value. On a final note, I had been hoping the story was going to make a turn into the occult or supernatural genre, and had thought that this was a possibility based on the creators’ past involvement with such genres in BioShock.

Finally, I would give Gone Home a 7 out of 10 and would recommend it if you are looking for an interesting story exploration game, otherwise the gameplay format could leave you disappointed.
  19. Dec 15, 2014
    Framed as a mystery, The Fulbright Company took a different approach when tackling the odd life of a family living in the mid to late 1900s. Gone Home kicks off with Katie Greenbriar, a young woman who had been travelling Europe for a year, arriving back at home on June 7th, 1995 – on a dark and stormy night – to a deserted house. With her parents missing, and her sister nowhere to beFramed as a mystery, The Fulbright Company took a different approach when tackling the odd life of a family living in the mid to late 1900s. Gone Home kicks off with Katie Greenbriar, a young woman who had been travelling Europe for a year, arriving back at home on June 7th, 1995 – on a dark and stormy night – to a deserted house. With her parents missing, and her sister nowhere to be found, Katie’s only resort is to snoop around the house for any clues or objects that are seen to be out of the ordinary in which can help her come to a conclusion.

Arriving at her families newly moved into house, never before seen by Katie Greenbriar, Katie is left to reminisce the halls, sifting through objects, notes, photos and so on, in search for answers. The player takes on a first person role as Katie Greenbriar, whose task is to use the clues around the house to figure out where her family’s whereabouts are. The game-play leads you through dark, long hallways throughout the house, not knowing what is going to happen next – if someone is going to kill you, or if someone is going to pop out of the darkness and scare the living hell out of you. Gone Home does nothing but leave you on the edge of your seat, but without the first-person shooter or thriller aspect users have always been used to.

Gone Home always keeps the player in up most awareness at all times because of the intense features of very realistic gameplay throughout the entire game. From the story line, to hearing Sam’s actual voice, Gone Home makes the player feel like he is actually in the mansion searching and reminiscing for clues. It is very easy to get swept up in Gone home because the environment is so realistic and convincing that it makes you feel as if you are searching through a real mansion, at very specific points in time. All of these realistic features help capture a player’s attention for hours on end, adding depth and excitement no matter where you are in the house.

Gone home attempts to explore the boundaries in a video game that have never been explored before. The Fulbright Company took a risk, and with an accomplished risk, there is always a large payoff. Despite the very short experience, the accumulative acts of walking through hallways, examining objects and searching for clues become a bitter adventure dealing with a families personal issues which feel as if they are your own. For that, Gone Home has displayed a brilliant storyline with a strong basis for a great video game and is definitely worthy of anyone’s time.
  20. Dec 15, 2014
    The game “Gone Home” developed by The Fullbright Company uses a complex and developed story line as its main attraction. Players walk in the footsteps of Kaitlin Greenbriar as she comes home from a yearlong trip to find the new house, into which the family had moved into, empty. Through the course of the search through the house the character and player begins to uncover the events of theThe game “Gone Home” developed by The Fullbright Company uses a complex and developed story line as its main attraction. Players walk in the footsteps of Kaitlin Greenbriar as she comes home from a yearlong trip to find the new house, into which the family had moved into, empty. Through the course of the search through the house the character and player begins to uncover the events of the past year, a year she has missed. The discoveries slowly piece themselves together to explain the reason for her sisterís and parentsí apparent disappearance from the house.
    As a rule most games no matter how well designed have both their good and bad aspects, Gone home is no exception to this. The aspects that add to the game and make it an interesting run through are; the gameís interactive story, voice-overs and tangent stories. The game, which is centered on a rich and interactive story line, truly benefits from it. By generating a story line that can be revealed and played through in a few different ways but still leads to the same overall ending gives the player a feeling of greater control. To add to the experience the ways in which the voice overs which occur periodically at strategic points gives the game a more realistic feel as if the characters were real people enhancing the game play and overall story line. These aspects are then combined with a series of tangent stories that take place alongside the main story and can be unearthed and furthered throughout the course of the game. This I believe truly makes the game fun because it adds a series of extra layers that give more life to the game and donít truly end with a concrete answer keeping the player continuously guessing to their true meaning. Most important of all is that they do not clutter or subtract from the main story line of the game. The intriguing story and strategic use of voice-overs make the game a truly fun experience.
    Unfortunately there are some aspects to the game that are less than to be desired. Two specific things come to mind that are worth negatively critiquing; the brightness settings and the end of the game. Yes it is true that brightness settings can always be adjusted but overall the game has a rather dark vibe to it that understandably plays into the story thematic and adds to the game but it seems that at times even with higher brightness settings its difficult to see. Due to the difficulty of seeing objects I found that at times it was a chore trying to find objects in the semi darkness of the house. The second part that I found to be rather disappointing was the end. For such a build up in the game and all of the assumptions that one makes by the end, the ending chosen by the creators was rather bland and uninteresting. In my opinion the game could have been further enhanced with a more dramatic end, one that I was certain would happen when I reached the attic, but I wonít spoil the ending for you by telling you what doesn't happen. If the above listed things were to have been improved upon the game would be in my opinion a truly masterful work of digital and gaming art.
    Overall the game was fun and I enjoyed it. Though different from your everyday shooter with fast case action the story line was well thought out and interesting. I would recommend it to those that are more interested in the content of the game rather than looking for a way of killing a few hours with mindless game play due to the format of the game. If it were ever on sale I would tell people to try it out for they might like it, or not. The game is very specific in nature and hard to compare with an existing game due to its rather new look at what games should be and whatís more important, action and an okay storyline or a slower game with a well thought out story line.
  21. Dec 15, 2014
    Gone Home is a game about a girl named Katie who returns home from a year long trip to a new house. When Katie arrives she discovers that her family is not in the house and appear to be missing. Katie then searches the house to find clues to her family’s whereabouts. While Katie searches the house she uncovers shocking secrets about her family that have been carefully hidden for years.Gone Home is a game about a girl named Katie who returns home from a year long trip to a new house. When Katie arrives she discovers that her family is not in the house and appear to be missing. Katie then searches the house to find clues to her family’s whereabouts. While Katie searches the house she uncovers shocking secrets about her family that have been carefully hidden for years.

Gone Home has one of the best stories that I have ever seen in a video game. (Though calling it a video game is a stretch). Gone Home takes the player on a 3 hour journey through one of the most densely packed stories in modern gaming. It is hard to talk about the story without ruining the ending. But what can be said is that the setting has the player thinking about one thing while the story is going in a completely different direction. The ending comes as no surprise to the player once they reach it, but the ending would seem absurd at the start of the game. The ending leaves the player with no loose ends and a certain happiness for the characters.

The game doesn’t boast the most high definition graphics or the most cutting edge gameplay but the attention to detail makes up for it entirely. The not so high quality graphics even add to the atmosphere of the house. The graphics are meant to be played on a low brightness which has the player often turning around to see if that shadow was indeed a person or not. The attention to detail in the house was extraordinarily good. Everything in a 1995 home was there, with the exception of shoes, but one would not even notice this unless it was mentioned to them. The player learns all there is to know about a family in the mid 90’s, from tacky furniture to VCR’s it is all there.

To call Gone Home a video game is a stretch. It is more of an interactive story in the form of a video game. In a contemporary video game the player makes choices and has different ways to overcome different puzzles or challenges. In some games the way one completes a task will affect what happens later on or the level of difficulty. Gone Home is extremely linear. There are no two ways of finding things or opening doors in Gone Home. Everything is laid out for the player to find, the only thing that can change is the order in which things are found.

Gone Home is an excellent experience. The story was compelling, the setting was unique, accurate and added a level of realness to the story. But to call it a video game is a stretch. The game is definitely good there is no question about that, but if one does a excellent first run through they will feel no need to play it a second or third time. A truly good game would compel the player to play more than once, it is a game you can come back to years later and still have the same experience as you did when first played. Gone Home doesn’t achieve this. I would still highly recommend this game though.
  22. Dec 15, 2014
    Gone Home is one of the most fascinating gaming experiences that I have come across. The game takes place in 1996, when a girl named Katie comes back from a yearlong trip to Europe to her family’s newly inherited mansion, only to find the house empty. Katie explores the house to find out where her family members have gone and, at the risk of giving too much away, uncovers an engaging andGone Home is one of the most fascinating gaming experiences that I have come across. The game takes place in 1996, when a girl named Katie comes back from a yearlong trip to Europe to her family’s newly inherited mansion, only to find the house empty. Katie explores the house to find out where her family members have gone and, at the risk of giving too much away, uncovers an engaging and often gloomy story.
    Gone Home has been one of the most polarizing games ever. Critics and players alike have raved about the story’s ability to invoke emotion as they slowly learn about all of the characters as they move through various rooms and examine items. However, there is a strong contingent of players who have strong feelings in opposition to the game, citing that there are “no game play mechanics besides walking around a house and digging through stuff” and that “it is remarkably short (around 2 hours)”. Some people were outraged that Gone Home would even be marketed as a game.
    Gone Home’s incredible polarization of players comes down to the different expectations people have of a video game. In traditional games, the expectation tends to be that there will be a significant amount of player-computer interaction, such as in shooting games, in which you shoot at the computer-generated characters and they shoot back at you. In Gone Home, however, we find that for the most part, your interactions with the game are one sided and are very rarely reciprocated. Therefore, people who expect the traditional style of game will ultimately be disappointed. What Gone Home creates is an experience that pushes the boundaries of what we define as a game and even makes us question if it is a game at all. Thus, assessing this game by the same criteria that you would any other would do it injustice.
    Whether Gone Home is a game or not, its novel technique for story telling is one that should be replicated in the future. Gone Home creates a way for storytellers to give their viewers freedom to explore the story in a unique way, according to what interests them. This means that any person consuming the story can explore certain pieces of the story in greater or lesser detail as they please. This form of story telling creates a sense of freedom and personalization to the story being told. This cannot be said about other popular means of story telling such as books, movies and plays, in which the consumer experiences exactly what the author or director wants them to experience. Steve Gaynor, the writer and designer of Gone Home compared the experience to Sleep No More, a theater experience that takes place in a building in which audience members may roam, such that a viewer of the play experience differs based on where the viewer decide to focus their attention making each experience different from everyone else’s.
    All that being said, the story of Gone Home certainly isn’t perfect. A common criticism of the game is that the main story of the game involving Sam, the main character’s sister, realizing her sexuality is depicted in a very shallow manner. Steven Brummel of Plus10Damage writes, “Today, it is not easy to come out of the closet. As long as there is stigma, it never will be. But twenty years ago — in Gone Home's setting — it was much harder. Gone Home is a game set in the mid-90’s with people from 2013 trying to duplicate those feelings, and it just doesn’t succeed.”
    Beyond the naïve depiction of Sam, in my playing of the game, I felt that much of the story was fairly predictable and often times I felt my exploration of the game was more of an obligation than a genuine hope of finding anything interesting. By the end of the game, I found that I ended up just being bored by the ending that could have been predicted a half-hour earlier.
    Beyond the storytelling, the graphics and the mechanics contribute to the overall feeling and emotion of the game as a whole. The graphics of the game add a lot to the experience that the game creates. When compared to modern, big company games, the graphics certainly aren’t realistic however the textures create a sense of creepiness that looms throughout. The mechanics of the game, which employs a pick-up and inspect system, also adds to this experience. This system allows us to analyze in detail important items to the storyline. This allows the story to be told through these items more easily.
    In conclusion, Gone Home is a new, interesting approach to games that has polarized debate in the gaming world. Though its story and gameplay isn’t perfect, the game has popularized a new way to tell stories and paves the way for future games of its kind. This bold new approach to story telling is its self worthy of praise and the overall good story on top of this is just the icing on the cake.
  23. Dec 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game Gone Home, produced by The Fullbright Company is about a 19-year-old girl that returns from Europe to find that her family life is turned upside down. As Katie you have to investigate unknown territory of your new empty mansion and find out what happened to your family.
    One big pro of the game was that it was a 3D environment with a first person point of view. Typically what I find with detective style games is that you are standing still, looking out into an open room and can only progress in a certain chronological order after clicking the right objects. This game gave this genre a new style; it allowed for free exploration and allowed the player to move at his or her own pace. Free exploration is something I really like in a game, so this aspect is a big plus. It made the player feel more immersed; another aspect is that you can take different routes to completing the game so everyone’s experience is different.
    The graphics and audio were gorgeous; this added to the overall atmosphere and again, really changed the genre. If the player is in the right atmospheric setting, this changes the way you experience the game. When I played I was in my room with the lights out and with my surround sound headphones. This added a huge new level of realism and the way it changed the game for me is it made me take in the surroundings and feel very absorbed in the world of Gone Home. The voice work was amazing in this game and having a high quality headset really lets you appreciate what is being said and how much work they put into the game,
    Last but not least, the plot of Gone Home. The game did a good job of adding side stories and background information that the player could investigate if they’re motivated to do so. Although the game is mainly about Sam, the player could learn a whole lot about characters like Terrence, Oscar and Janice but it did not come as easily. One thing that I noticed is that you barely learn anything about Katie. Typically in games the person you are playing as is the protagonist but in this game I felt that Katie did not have much depth, she just seemed like a pawn that you use to learn about Sam.
    Personally I enjoyed the game, I got it for free and I could see why people would be upset having to pay such a hefty price for a short game. I would recommend it to people if they were looking for something to do on a rainy day.
  24. Dec 15, 2014
    Gone Home is a game created by the upstart Fullbright Company, a newcomer to the gaming community made up of former BioShock employees. It is as much an interactive story as it is a video game, and is a new experience in first person gaming.
    Since 2012, the year Gone Home was released, it has garnered positive reviews in the gaming world and even won a few awards, most recently the 2014 BAFTA Games Award for Debut Game. The story focuses on a rainy night in June 1995, when Kaitlin Greenbrier arrives home from a year backpacking through Europe to find a new house all moved into but with no one in it. The only clue you begin with is a note on the door from her sister Sam, telling Katie not to go looking for her.
    The game then becomes what you make of it, as you are free to explore the house at your liberty. The game does have a plot line, but following the story is contingent on you finding the clues found around the household. The story does take shape in the form of Sam’s journal entries, which can be found by interacting with the many objects strewn about the house. The house is full of mysteries, and it is up to you to unlock them.
    What I really enjoyed about the game was the fact that you control what you find and when you find it. You find things in no particular order, and it forces you to formulate the story on your own. While rummaging around the house, you find many old family heirlooms, you uncover family secrets and you find out who the family is. What really brings you into the story is the familiarity of what you find in the house and how it can relate to your own family.
    I would say the graphics of the game are more than decent, even good, yet the lighting of the game is poor in some respects. It is used effectively to convey certain tones, but it is really irritating to not be able to see what is around you. You are blind to many things in this game, in more respects than just visually.
    The game is set in 1995, which may not seem like an important fact, but it provides the groundwork for Gone Home. It provides the perfect chronological setting for Katie to be out of the loop in terms of her family matters, and allows the whole game to exist. The social movement of that time and other factors from the mid 90’s allow the narrative of the game to exist as it is and become what it does.
    Why would you want to play this game you may ask? If I had to pick a singular reason, it would be that the story will captivate you and make you want to play and finish the game. It is less of a game then an interactive story, but is that not what video games are? I find that you either really enjoy Gone Home or not at all, and I greatly enjoyed it. So if you have a few hours to kill, open up your computer and play it, you might enjoy it.
  25. Dec 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game Gone Home is an interactive story game that is told from the perspective of Kaitlin Greenbriar who has just returned home from a trip around Europe. Upon her arrival at the house she finds that it is deserted and there is an ominous letter left for her from her sister. The ultimate goal of the game is to figure out what’s happened to your family by examining the many different items that can be found in the house.

After you get Sam’s note on the front door of the house you immediately begin assuming that something bad must have happened to your family for them not to be there. After being introduced to all of the members of the family you slowly begin to put together everyone’s stories. I found that the game focused more on the life of Sam then it did on her parents. Although that might have been the intention I felt like it made me disinterested in what her parents were doing. Although I liked the way that the game used different items and documents to get parts of the narrative across I found that it became annoying to constantly be picking up and closely examining every single item in the house to decide whether it was important to the story or not.

I liked the fact that the game was based more on real life and telling a story through interacting with different items within a house. But the game did raise some questions that kind of threw me off even though it’s probably just me nitpicking. First I find it kind of strange that there’s a way you can traverse the house and pick up all the items in a pretty much chronological order. Even though the ultimate path you choose is up to you it just seemed kind of strange that all of the documents that detail the beginning of the family’s experience in the house would all be in one section of the house. I personally think that it would have been more interesting for the items to kind of be more scattered about so that it’s more of a puzzle for the player to put together the entire story.

The second thing that came to mind was “is it just me or is the Greenbriar family made up of a bunch of complete slobs. Seriously there are piles of paper and other items just left about everywhere in the most disorganized fashion. Was recycling not a concept back in 1995 because no one is going to be able to find anything in the casual pile of one thousand post it notes left on a table. In fact some of the things in the house seem to have been lying there for over half a year and no one bothered picking it up. For example Katie got back on the 6th of June 1995 and she discovered a sheet on the ground and a document from around when Sam started school on September 6th 1994. That would be almost ten months that those documents were left lying on the floor. But I guess I could really just drop the nitpicking and call the Greenbriar’s messiness a somewhat arbitrary plot device.

Overall I found the game and it’s concept to be rather interesting. The graphics were pretty good and gave the house some nice detail. Even though I found the ending to take a surprising and somewhat disappointing turn I would recommend that you play the game for yourself to make your own experience in the Greenbriar house.
  26. Dec 15, 2014
    Do you know that moment when you are focusing so hard on a particular object that you develop tunnel vision and it is not until you step back and examine the whole object that you finally realize what you are looking at? Playing Gone Home is similar to focusing intently on that one spot, and it is not until the end of the game that you take the figurative “step back” and really see theDo you know that moment when you are focusing so hard on a particular object that you develop tunnel vision and it is not until you step back and examine the whole object that you finally realize what you are looking at? Playing Gone Home is similar to focusing intently on that one spot, and it is not until the end of the game that you take the figurative “step back” and really see the whole game. In Gone Home you play as Kaitlin Greenbriar, a 21 year old who has just come back from a year abroad, to her new house in Oregon. Playing as Kaitlin you quickly realize no one is home and you set out exploring the house to see where everyone is, accidently uncovering your family’s past and secrets throughout the process.

From the moment you step on to the porch of the house, Gone Home’s narrative pulls you in and engrosses you. The free flowing gameplay essentially allows the player to create their own game, as they choose the rooms and floors to explore. Gone Home’s intricate plot makes finding each clue a challenge and gives the player a sense of reward when they finally do uncover it. I really enjoyed how you can dictate the pace of the game yourself, making it easy for a gamer of any level to be able to enjoy the game.

However with the free flowing gameplay, there are no hints or directions of what to do, making it fairly easy to get stuck in the house and confused as what to do next. I think if the developers were to re-release this game, it would make sense to add a hint button. Even though a hint button could be abused, gamers with a high integrity that appreciate the game for its plot would only use it as a last resort, and to keep the gameplay moving.

An underrated aspect of this game in my opinion is the sound. Starting the game the soundtrack gives the game an ambiance of horror, almost foreshadowing a heavy supernatural theme. But as you progress the soundtrack proves to be wrong, as the game is more about an emotional journey. Nonetheless, the music adds a whole new dimension to the game, and while the music is overlooked, I strongly think without it the game would be drastically worse.

When I started the game, I had a very negative outlook on it. Now re-examining, the challenge of finding clues and progressing through the game proved to be highly enjoyable. I would highly recommend Gone Home to a gamer of any level, as even the most inexperienced gamer could find enjoyment of playing through the house uncovering secrets and clues.
  27. Dec 15, 2014
    Gone Home is a wonderful demonstration of just how well a virtual game can resemble reality. Kaitlin Greenbrier, the protagonist you play as through first-person view, is a twenty-year-old returning from a trip abroad to a new home her family has mysteriously inherited. As you enter the home, a strange note awaits you on the door saying that your younger sister is sorry and that she hasGone Home is a wonderful demonstration of just how well a virtual game can resemble reality. Kaitlin Greenbrier, the protagonist you play as through first-person view, is a twenty-year-old returning from a trip abroad to a new home her family has mysteriously inherited. As you enter the home, a strange note awaits you on the door saying that your younger sister is sorry and that she has left home and may never come back. As soon as you enter the house, you want to believe something horrible has happened to your family. Fear grips you as you listen to a crying female’s message left on an answering machine calling for help; the house seems alive with creeks and groans. The masterful use of sound creates an ambiance of horror will lead you will believe that something ghastly or ghouly is hidden around every corner, in every closet, waiting to strike. But the only thing to fear in Gone Home is fear itself; there is only the illusion of fear masterfully created by the strange and eerie music and the randomized claps of thunder and flashes of lightning. As you progress through the house, soda cans, half eaten bags of potato chips, and empty pizza boxes litter the floors. All this garbage everywhere reminds me of my own house, and how my mom would leave garbage out to rot because I never used to clean up after myself. Almost every little piece in the Greenbrier household contributes to one member of the family’s life in some way, if not being used in a comical way by the game creators *cough* purple basketball *cough*. At the beginning of Gone Home, the evidence left around the house points to you sister being a lonely troubled young girl who is struggling fitting in at school. As you progress through the house, the evidence you find suggests that she is developing into a rebellious free spirit with the help of her new friend Lonnie. If I go into any further depth on Sam and Lonnie, it will spoil the storyline of the game.
    Overall, Gone Home is an excellent game that does not require you to kill anyone to enjoy it.
  28. Dec 15, 2014
    Gone home is the coming of age story on Sam Greenbrier, told through game play from the point of view of Sam’s sister Katie as she explores her family’s new house after arriving home from a year long trip, to find her that her family is gone. The story takes you through the struggles of a 1995 family, and their daughter who is trying to find her self through her relationship with herGone home is the coming of age story on Sam Greenbrier, told through game play from the point of view of Sam’s sister Katie as she explores her family’s new house after arriving home from a year long trip, to find her that her family is gone. The story takes you through the struggles of a 1995 family, and their daughter who is trying to find her self through her relationship with her girlfriend Lonnie, and through the Riot Grrl music that she surrounds herself with, all while her family life begins to crumble beneath her.
    I am not a gamer whatsoever, however I still managed to be captivated by this really amazing game; The rich narrative based in exploration, the suspense built by the incredible score, and the desire to discover more about what happened to Katie’s family made for a fantastic experience. The first reason I enjoyed this game is because it had a very rich story line, and very well developed characters. The most important character to the story was Sam; as we explore the house we discover all that Sam has gone through in the year that Katie has been away, from coming out to her parents, to experiencing her girlfriend leaving for the army, all the while being surrounded by the Riot Grrl, pun, and grunge scenes of 1995. One of the reasons this game was so fun to play is because of the suspense created by Chris Remo’s original score. The effect that this music had on me was not unlike that of the music in Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho. As I guided Katie through the dark passageways of the house the music kept my heart rate up, and kept me glued to my screen. Another one of the things I loved about this game was the way in which it tapped into my curiosity, and made me want to discover more. Generally people are very curious beings, and I am no exception, because of this curiosity I found gone home to be very intriguing. As I would stumble upon secret passageways and find hidden object, it would make me want to keep exploring and solve the many mysteries that the house held. All of these elements of the game made it incredibly enjoyable to play.
    While I really enjoyed playing the game there was one thing that I really didn’t like, which was the ending. The suspense building up to the ending was huge; after a lengthy exploration of the house, I finally found the key to the locked attic. As I guided Katie up the stares and through the attic, I was prepared to see something huge. However, what I found was the anti-climactic realization that Sam had simply run away, and that the notes that we had been hearing throughout the game were all part of a journal that Sam had left in the attic for Katie to read. While I did enjoy the fact that the journal being read to us throughout the game was actually found in the attic, I still found the ending to be quite anti-climactic. Throughout the entire game, I had been learning about Sam and her family, and I had gone to great lengths to find the key into the attic; all of this build up made the end of the game quite anti-climactic.
    In conclusion, I really enjoyed playing Gone Home, and despite the fact that I didn’t love the ending, the rich narrative, incredible score, and the way in which it peaked my curiosity made this game incredibly fun to play. Despite the fact that I am not a gamer, I am confident that anyone, gamer or not, will enjoy this game.
  29. Dec 15, 2014
    Gone Home is a first-person game that is set in 1995. The game takes on the role of Kaitlin Greenbriar, who comes home one late night to find an empty house. The game then progresses throughout the house as you find clues left behind to unravel the mystery.
    Gone Home is a game that narrates a story through the clues that are found throughout the house. The setting takes place at a lonely mansion that is very close to the forest. All the items from the house are from 1995, and it certainly creates an aura that feels like it is set in that time. It is also very realistic. All the events that unfold through the story are believable.
    I was first introduced to Gone Home through my teacher in class. At first, I thought that the game seemed unusual; telling a story through a game. However, as I started playing the game, it became more interesting. It does not feel like a game, but you can interact with objects, and observe items throughout the house. The controls are simple; even people who are just starting out the gaming path can play it.
    There are different settings in the game itself to change the graphics. While the game runs best on the lowest graphic, the quality is very poor. However, while ran on the highest graphic, the quality is amazing and the furniture and items around the house almost look real. The down side is that the game takes longer to load and everything runs much slower. The sounds are very simple, yet also very realistic. It sets the mood of the night and would sound much like how you would be in the house in the middle of the night with no one else home; quiet, spooky, and almost haunting.
    I find Gone Home to be boring and dull. Sure, the narrative is good, and the graphics and sound are okay, but the player must pay attention to the deepest details around the house. I, with not much patience to paying attention to the littlest things, did not find every detail that was in the house. Since I was not able to find out all the clues, the ending confused me. It was on my third try playing the game before I finally understood the plot of the story, however I was still missing some major details.
    In conclusion, I find the game to have a good narrative story. However, there is a need to connect the dots to unravel what happened in the year that Katy was away from the house. I would recommend this game if you like mystery games and puzzle solving, however I would not recommend it if you are looking for something more exciting.
  30. Dec 15, 2014
    The creators of Gone Home have somehow captured the intoxicating high that comes from problem solving and put their brilliance into a beautiful, plot-rich video game. It’s 1995 when Katie Greenbriar returns home after a year in Europe to a violent thunderstorm, an empty house, and a missing family. You’re then given a sort-of “license to snoop”, an opportunity to search through, with aThe creators of Gone Home have somehow captured the intoxicating high that comes from problem solving and put their brilliance into a beautiful, plot-rich video game. It’s 1995 when Katie Greenbriar returns home after a year in Europe to a violent thunderstorm, an empty house, and a missing family. You’re then given a sort-of “license to snoop”, an opportunity to search through, with a clear conscience, every note, letter, and personal artifact in the house to discover the whereabouts of the Greenbriar family. Unlike the most popular videogames that balance action-based gameplay and an interesting storyline, Gone Home is focused almost completely on the plotline. But how can a game be good if I’m unable to blow up aliens or drag race Lamborghinis, you might ask? Well, the short answer is it can be good – it can be really good, in fact. This game belongs in a class of it’s own, mainly because it encompasses the best characteristics of a good short story (or even a novel, for that matter) in a creative and interactive space. All of the clues and artifacts are there for you, but locating them will only get you so far; if you really want to understand what’s going on, you have to remain sharp throughout the game, and start to pick up on trends (the good stuff comes when you start to connect the dots). I was quite surprised with how riveting the game was. Once I started, I became obsessed with finding all of the pieces to the puzzle and ultimately solving the mystery. That being said, the only thing I don’t like about this game is that once you’ve played it over a few times and understand everything that’s going on, it quickly becomes boring. It’s understandable and almost by design, but if I had to pick out one thing that I wish could be better, that would be it. So, if the review doesn’t scream it enough, I IMPLORE you to dabble into the brilliance of Gone Home. Immerse yourself in the beautifully designed game, and allow your headspace to become addicted to the mystery. It’s fun, innovative, riveting, and you’ll likely feel a little smarter after you’ve finished and figured everything out. Overall, I give this game a top rating. I hope you all have the same experience I did! Expand
  31. Dec 15, 2014
    Initially the thought of "Gone Home" made me cringe. The components for the game did not line up. However after playing the game it could be that these strangely formatted components actually made the game puzzling, interesting and genuinely entertaining to play. IGN game critic Marty Sliva states "Gone Home’s" “jumbled mess of oddly shaped metaphorical puzzle pieces” is what makes theInitially the thought of "Gone Home" made me cringe. The components for the game did not line up. However after playing the game it could be that these strangely formatted components actually made the game puzzling, interesting and genuinely entertaining to play. IGN game critic Marty Sliva states "Gone Home’s" “jumbled mess of oddly shaped metaphorical puzzle pieces” is what makes the game remarkably interesting, I agree with him. Returning home, Kaitlin Greenbriar is greeted by a deserted house filled with secrets. In first-person you explore the house to uncover untold mysteries from finding notes and clues, ultimately to solve and understand the Greenbriar’s past.

"Gone Home" is not perfect, nothing is. What "Gone Home" fails to-do well is make its story and gameplay intertwine easily for every type of player. Most of the bad reviews for "Gone Home" are a result of people not playing the game how it is supposed to be played, not allowing them to see the true beauty that lies under the surface. Traditionally video games have a distinct objective whereas "Gone Home" dose not. If "Gone Home" could have found a way to force the player to follow the storyline it’s overall reception would have been much better, because the story is prodigious if played correctly.

In the case of "Gone Home", less is more. There is no elaborate graphic engine, no multi-million dollar company behind the game, but the simple gameplay, mediocre graphics, and intrinsic audio, all make the game great. The audio cues and readings from Kaitlin’s sister Sam’s journal, resonate an alternative perspective for the player, which might not come naturally at first, deeper meaning seems to be a common theme in the game. "Gone Home’s" profound story make it brilliant to play by immediately creating questions for the player, as a result you become captivated by the game. "Gone Home" perfectly shows that violence or external sources of entertainment are not needed to make a video game fun, which is why in my perspective Steve Gaynor and Fullbright made an amazing game.

When Steve Gaynor was unsatisfied with big budget work and decided to make a “personal game, one with an intimate narrative,” he made a bold choice. "Gone Home" combines great atmosphere with a fascinating story and simplistic gameplay to create something that other games do not have. I am not sure what that something is; it is more of a feeling that comes as you play rather than something you can describe. The fact that I got a feeling I have never had from a game tells me "Gone Home" is special.
  32. Dec 14, 2014
    Gone Home is a first-person interactive story video game. It is set in the year 1995, the plot focuses on exploring a mansion in Portland, Oregon, and you must examining common household objects within the home. It starts with you arriving at an empty mansion. Your name is Katie and you are the eldest daughter of the Greenbriar family, you have just returned after a year abroad in Europe.Gone Home is a first-person interactive story video game. It is set in the year 1995, the plot focuses on exploring a mansion in Portland, Oregon, and you must examining common household objects within the home. It starts with you arriving at an empty mansion. Your name is Katie and you are the eldest daughter of the Greenbriar family, you have just returned after a year abroad in Europe. She expects her parents and sister to be there to greet her. Instead she finds only a deserted house, filled with secrets. It is up to you to explore the house and find out what has happened. Overall I thought that this was an incredible game, because it has a remarkable story and to me that is one of the most essential parts of a game. It was really entertaining to go around the house unlocking doors and solving the mystery of where your sister and parents are. The graphics in this game where mind-blowing, it was so good it almost felt like I was in an actual house. It was extremely realistic, it feels like your in a real house because there are all sorts of objects that you can pick up to examine that would be in a real house such as books to read and records to listen to. The kitchen is disorganized, and the bedrooms feel like someone is actually living there. The makers of the game put a lot of time and effort into all the small details such as all the objects that you can pick up, they all look very convincing. As you explore you come across notes, telephone messages, and diary entries that offer clues necessary for you to solve the mystery. The sound and graphics added a whole other level of complexity to it, because the lights flicker, there’s a thunderstorm outside, and the house seems to moan, which made it all scarier and more realistic at the same time. Throughout the game you get voice messages from your sister and they are really well done because they sound lifelike and give you hints about the plot but don’t give to much of it away. One of the parts that I didn’t enjoy was that there wasn’t a lot of action, you couldn’t jump or run which adds a layer of fun to a game. Over all I really admired the game. I had a lot of fun exploring the house and solving the mystery. I would recommend it to anyone I know because of its great mystery and story. Expand
  33. Dec 14, 2014
    Gone Home is a first person hands on video game about a girl, Katie, who comes home from a long vacation, expecting to receive a big welcome home, to find a quiet empty house. Set in 1995, Katie is exposed to many artifacts and clues allowing the navigator to tie pieces and ideas together about the whereabouts of her family, more notably her sister, Sam.
    In the story Katie quickly learns
    In the story Katie quickly learns that her parents are abroad for their anniversary and know about Sam’s absence. Gone Home, contrary to most games, presents a realistic and relatable story for the character of Sam. Sam is going through a relatively typical stage of teenage life. Similarly to many teenagers in the real world, after switching schools Sam feels lost, lonely and becomes detached from her parents. Unlike most video games, Gone Home does a tremendous job displaying character progression through the cigarettes found in Sam’s locker and her partake in the riot grrl movement. Gone Home’s historical setting played a big role in its success. Setting the game in a modern and digitally intensified world would have made the game beatable with a simple text to Sam titled “where are you?”. By navigating through a house surrounded by artifacts from 1995, the player must slowly tie pieces together, make connections and reach creative conclusions. Equally as important as the story line is Gone Home’s game play.
    The game play in Gone Home has both negative and positive aspects, however, it can be understood why such negative features were implemented as they comply with the games purpose. The inability to run shows a lack of attention to detail as in such moments of disarray Katie is bound to be running urgently around the house to locate her sister. It is unrealistic in a time of chaos for Katy to carefully investigate each room carefully. However, I recognize the importance of doing so, because the game’s purpose is to tie large ideas together and solve mysteries, therefor, the inability to run is essential in forcing the player to act attentively. Nevertheless, the game should strive further towards realism as it allows players to better relate to the scenario. The game’s ability to present an element of horror such as broken lights, locked doors and safes without prototypical pop-ups should be admired. Such a subtly realist mode of horror, which is uncommon for a video game, makes it more effective.
    Gone Home disproves the misconception that playing video games is merely a way to pass time and serves no purpose. I recommend such a game to any student who isn’t fond off reading as such a progressive game serves the same purpose as reading a story, yet doesn’t require extensive reading. Gone Home demonstrates the potential video games have in the educational field as it forces people to act in a critical manner rather than turn their brains off.
  34. Dec 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game, Gone Home tells the story of Katie, an older sister returning home after a long trip in Europe. She comes home to an abandoned house; she must piece together the clues to discover where her family is and what happened while she was away.
    Gone Home is a mystery-solving game driven by your curiosity. Gone Home is not a combat or a strategy game; it is not a game that you can win or lose. It is a game that you can finish but still have missed many clues. This encourages gamers to play it multiple times. A deeper understanding of the family is gained each time it is played. Most games are built on the model of instant gratification. In Call of Duty, you receive gratification when you kill someone and in Stronghold, you receive gratification by becoming more powerful. If you like games where you are given instant gratification then Gone Home may not be for you. In Gone Home, you receive gratification from finding clues and slowly piecing together the secrets of the Greenbriar family. I am a curious person so I liked this aspect of the game. This is a mystery-solving game for the curious.
    Gone Home is a short, detailed game. It was developed by a young indie game company called the Fullbright Company. Due to the Fullbright Company’s small size it didn’t have the resources to build a large and elaborate game with excellent graphics. The game designers compensated for this by making the setting tiny and incredibly detailed. The actual game can be finished in under a minute, however, it takes hours to experience the game fully. To solve and unravel the mystery you must open drawers, read letters and explore secret passageways. I’ve played Gone Home three times and each time I discovered new things. I know that there are more things to find. The game’s short length and its elaborate detail are its strengths.
    Gone Home has an incredibly realistic and humanistic storyline. The realism found in the game makes it more relatable and intimate. Gone Home is a game about a family and their relationships with one another. The Greenbriar family is like any other - complex. The game largely revolves around the family member Sam. Sam is a high school student who is trying to express and explain her homosexuality to her parents. If you play games to escape reality then this game is not for you. The realistic relationship-based storyline is universal, anyone who has lived through high school can relate to it.
    Gone Home is an innovative mystery-solving game with a relatable and intriguing storyline. I enjoyed playing it. I would recommend Gone Home to the curious and to those who are tired of first-person shooter and strategy games.
  35. Dec 14, 2014
    The date is June 7, 1995; you arrive at an unfamiliar somber new home. It is a dark and gloomy night. You find a disheartening note from your sister explaining no one is home. Uninformed and confused you are left to search around the new foreign home for clues.

The video game Gone Home is proof that advancements in the world can be made by taking a step backwards. Gone Home on the surface can seem very basic, but within the game there is so much underlying information. Within every room you enter in the Arbor Hill mansion there are abundant additions to the profound story line occurring within the game. The simplicity of Gone Home adds to the realism of the game. The game allows for the players to make their own connections throughout the game and take no direct route to finishing the game. The game confirms that there can be depth within a basic exterior.

In our current society most “gamers” are attracted to first person shooter games or game that involve violence within the story line. Gone Home offers players intrigue and mystery rather than adrenaline and violence, with depth that offers a distinctive gaming experience. As you explore through the home, each clue you find helps you to understand for about the family and what has happened to them. Shooter games can be gory, stressful and posse very shallow story lines. Being left to explore a unfamiliar location for an endless amount of time leaves you finishing the game with a feeling of accomplishment by enriching your knowledge. The ending of Gone Home is criticized by players who are used to “shoot em up” endings but a player who has taken time to access all the information within Arbor Hill will enjoy the richness of the unpredictable ending of the game.

Gone Home is a crucial addition to the gaming industry. The game veers away from the current norm in the video game industry. The creators of Gone Home weren’t concerned about profit relating to their game, they focused on the storyline of the game and established a rich information filled game. The characters in the game are non traditional and surprisingly create emotions of sympathy and passion for the player.

The game offers a seemingly simple but ultimately deep and rewarding experience. The differences that Gone Home offers to its players is relief from classic violent shooting games that can seem endless and boring. Gone Home interactive components leave the player with so many unanswered questions and emotions that it stays with you and makes you want to play other games that challenge the stereotypical format of the game industry.
  36. Dec 14, 2014
    The Fulbright Company’s game “Gone Home” is a first person exploration of the main character, Claire, who comes home after a year abroad, to her family’s new house, to find that no one is home. The game consists of exploring the house, discovering secrets about her family, and the ultimate goal, of discovering where everyone has gone.

I really liked the game because the plot was so

I really liked the game because the plot was so believable. I think it did a great job conveying what it’s like to come home to an empty house. Most games start off somewhat realistic, but the further you get through these games, the crazier and less believable things become, and you end up just shooting everything that moves. However, in “Gone Home”, the game remains true to its course, telling a mysterious but gentle story. One of the greatest aspects of the game is the sound. The storyline is by no means scary, but the noises in the background create an ambiance of creepiness. Whether it was a boom of thunder in the background or the sudden creaks of the old house, the sounds of the game forced me to be alert, and a bit on edge.

One negative view I have on the game is that it is a little repetitive. The game was designed for any level of gamer to play as the controls are so simple, but this got a little boring. I would have like to see some enhancement in the difficulty of the controls throughout the game. Another con about the game is, that although we learn a lot from Claire’s perspective about her family and their development throughout the story, Claire herself does not undergo any real character development. Other than knowing that she has just returned from a year abroad in Europe, we don’t really know anything about her. The game would have been more interesting if we could learn more about Claire and how her discoveries of what happens to the rest of the family affects her.

I enjoyed playing this game. I would recommend it because of its universal appeal: the controls are simple and straightforward for beginners, but the story itself is deep and complex, challenging even the most experienced gamers.
  37. Dec 14, 2014
    Gone Home is an interactive story game that focuses on exploration to progress through the story. The game is played from a first person point of view as you take control of Katie Greenbriar as she returns home from a year abroad and arrives at her new inherited home to find her family isn’t there. Gone Home is based around exploring this mansion and learning about what has happened there.Gone Home is an interactive story game that focuses on exploration to progress through the story. The game is played from a first person point of view as you take control of Katie Greenbriar as she returns home from a year abroad and arrives at her new inherited home to find her family isn’t there. Gone Home is based around exploring this mansion and learning about what has happened there.
    Gome Home is an indy game which focuses on telling a compelling story over high action gameplay, large open worlds and incredible graphics. Gone Home is a great example of how less is often more and how the little things matter. An example of this is the setting for the game, which is a large mansion that Katie’s parent’s inherited while Katie was abroad backpacking around Europe and the entirety of the game in played in the house. While the house is large, keeping the entire game in this house allows for smaller details to not be overlooked. Details such as being able to interact with things that don’t have any effect or importance to the story adds to the realism of the house and forces the player to explore the house more extensively, never knowing when they may come across something important.
    As for things I didn’t like, my main complaint with the game is the fact that it arguably not a game. In my opinion Gone Home is an interactive story and not so much a game. Your actions in the game only affect the order in which you receive information and how deeply you choose to learn about the characters. There are no consequences, positive or negative, to your actions and outcome of the game is always the same no matter what.
    In conclusion Gone Home is an interactive story game that focuses on little details opposed to high action gameplay to tell a compelling story. While I don’t feel Gone Home is a game in the traditional sense, I still enjoyed the experience and those who value a compelling story over graphics and action will enjoy it.
  38. Dec 14, 2014
    Gone Home, a game developed and designed by the Fullbright Company, combines the excitement and intrigue that are involved when solving mysteries, and turned it into an interesting and engaging video game. You are immersed into this surreal world, and in order to learn more about the situation you are in, you need to start exploring.

The best part of this game, I believe, is its ability

The best part of this game, I believe, is its ability to pull you in and force you into the brain of Katie Greenbriar, which I believe is achieved through their audio tracks. If you play this game with headphones on, and make a point of listening to everything, along with exploring, it can give you a completely different experience. It brings you into the home, and triggers emotions in the players mind that can be believed to be felt by Katie as well. This makes the game so much more real, and it helps to connect with Katie and the other characters when their thoughts are expressed not just through words on paper, but with their voices.

The worst part of this game is definitely the actual ways that clues are found. This game lacks excitement. To find out clues, all you have to do is pick something up and examine it. There are no puzzles or adrenaline affecting activities that help you push through this two hour search, they just made it a linear, strenuous task of searching every area of the house until you trigger Sam’s journal entries. The only known puzzle to solve in the game are the lock combinations, which were just minute obstacles to overcome.

The last part of this game I am going to discuss are the graphics and the gameplay, which I believe are average. They are not great, but are not awful at the same time. I definitely could have done with them perfecting the opening of doors, but this did not defer me from my game experience whatsoever. Some of the items picked up could also not have been so pixelated, but to run the game on my computer I needed to use the lowest graphic possible, so this may be fixed on a higher resolution setting. These two things I believe would have made the game slightly closer to being perfect, but did not affect the gameplay enough for me to stop playing.

All together, I enjoyed being able to transfer myself into Katie’s body, and search an abandoned house finding clues, but I found myself bored of searching drawers and rooms, which is a big downside for me. I would recommend this game, but it definitely requires a commitment to playing. You can’t just play the game to beat it, you have to play it to solve it.
  39. Dec 14, 2014
    Gone Home is an interactive game, in first person, that is filled with mystery and suspense. Published by The Fullbright Company, Gone Home takes place in the year 1995, inside an old house located in Arbor Hill, a small town near Portland, Oregon. The gamer interacts as a young woman named Katie Greenbriar, who has just come home from vacation to discover the mysterious absence of herGone Home is an interactive game, in first person, that is filled with mystery and suspense. Published by The Fullbright Company, Gone Home takes place in the year 1995, inside an old house located in Arbor Hill, a small town near Portland, Oregon. The gamer interacts as a young woman named Katie Greenbriar, who has just come home from vacation to discover the mysterious absence of her family. Katie searches her house, looking for clues that could lead her to where her family might be.
    In Gone Home, several factors provide the gamer with a realistic experience, including: the gameplay, the graphics, and the sound. Once the gamer opens the front door of the house, they are able to explore freely. Being placed in the first person view adds to the realism of the game; the gamer is viewing exactly what Katie is seeing. The graphics in this game were deftly crafted, which allows for the genuine and personal playing experience. While playing as Katie, you can pick up almost everything you see and can examine objects clearly and thoroughly while searching for clues. There are little to no limitations in Gone Home, other than not being able to leave the house. There is no specific storyline you must adhere to; the gamer can go wherever he or she pleases. The sounds in the game also contribute to the realism. Throughout the entire story, the sound of thunder and rain is apparent in the background, which creates an eerie atmosphere. The subtle, but needed noises such as: a door opening, the static from a TV, and the creaking of stairs, gave the game a genuine feel.
    Gone Home does an excellent job of telling a realistic and plausible story of Sam Greenbriar, Katie’s younger teenage sister. At the start of the game, Katie discovers a shocking note taped to the front door from Sam, warning Katie not to go searching for her. Right from the start of the game, there is a compelling sense of mystery that leaves the gamer wanting more. As you begin to uncover clues, you become intrigued and inquisitive about Sam’s fate. It is critical that the story is set in the year 1995, because communication was not as advanced as it is today. If the plot was set in the 2000’s, Katie would have the ability to easily contact her sister through common technology. Steve Gaynor, the designer of the game, and the developers at The Fullbright Company embedded objects that were common in the 90’s such as: the Nintendo 64, Pulp Fiction, and big boxy televisions. These small, but thoughtful elements helped to enhance the experience of being in the year 1995.
    Gone Home is a one of a kind game that is full of suspense and surprises. As you get further into the story, you become emotionally attached to the Greenbriar family. The realistic storyline allows gamers to connect and understand the game in depth and for that reason I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys anticipation and curiosity.
  40. Dec 13, 2014
    Gone Home is an intriguing story about a young girl named Katie, who arrives home from a trip around Europe to find her house, an old mansion, empty and a note on the front door from her younger sister Sam. You assume the role of Katie, as she roams the house trying to find clues as to the whereabouts of her parents and sister.
    As you scour the old mansion looking for clues, you quickly
    As you scour the old mansion looking for clues, you quickly realize that Sam has left home and doesn’t want to be found. Throughout the game you find clues that provide information about the family and their friends, and that enables you to learn about their lives and put together the pieces of the mystery. The narrative guides you along the journey and the slower and more thorough you are in your exploration of the house, the more information you gather about the family.
    The game was developed on a low budget, but the graphics and design quality are superb. Having the game take place at night was a clever, strategic move from the designers because they didn’t need to include any graphics of the outside. This also added to the feelings of creepiness and mystery that are evident throughout the story. I also found the details in the house to be very accurate. The designers put tremendous effort into making the house feel as real as possible and the realism was beneficial to the game experience.
    I found the gameplay to be extremely pleasing. For an individual like myself, who is not a big gamer, the controls were incredibly simple to learn and use. As well, the story moves at a pace that is dictated by the user. The faster you move around the house, the quicker you will finish the game, but the less you will learn about the family. Depending on what you want to take away from the experience of playing the game, you can decide how thorough you would like to be in exploring the house.
    I very much enjoyed the game and its mysteries kept me engaged the entire time I was playing. I would recommend it to all gamers and even non-gamers because it is simple and easy to play yet it has a complex and interesting story.
  41. Dec 11, 2014
    This is quite the pretentious load of drivel. The game is about 90 minutes long and it wore out it's welcome 20 minutes in. This could have focused on the father's background or the "psycho" uncle, but nope...we get a load of crap about some antsy girl who thinks she's gay. The praise this game has received is mind boggling and makes me question the gaming review industry as a whole.
  42. Dec 11, 2014
    Gone Home is the story of the Greenbriar family, who have inherited a house while the playable character, Katie, was hiking in Europe for a year. The story revolves around discovering where your family is, which gradually reveals itself as you work your way around the large house. Gone Home utilizes audio journals, ambient noise, and music in order to develop a vibrant atmosphere withinGone Home is the story of the Greenbriar family, who have inherited a house while the playable character, Katie, was hiking in Europe for a year. The story revolves around discovering where your family is, which gradually reveals itself as you work your way around the large house. Gone Home utilizes audio journals, ambient noise, and music in order to develop a vibrant atmosphere within the game. The audio is high quality, and often prompted by certain events within the game, especially in regards to the audio journals and music, which often play at the same time. The game utilizes ambient noise when no other is present, in order to make the game feel confortable to the player. Due to the budget, small team, and time restraints, the graphics in Gone Home are not comparable to most modern, big budget, AAA titles. Instead, the developers chose to use somewhat simple graphics, but amplify their effect by including an astounding amount of detail, specifically in the interactive objects around the house. The graphics are passible, but are by no means excellent. However, they do feel appropriate with the general tone of the game. What allows the game to be so special is the richness of the story, and the potential discoveries the player can make while exploring the house. Although not always expansive, the back-stories behind established characters gradually reveal. The game format allows the player to discover what they want to discover, giving the player the allowance of playing just through the main story, or to dig through every piece of information, to draw a full conclusion in regards to the entire story of the family. When playing through, the gameplay sometimes felt slow, and somewhat boring. This was due to the inability to sprint, or jump. Sprinting/jogging should have been added into the game, but jumping is a somewhat redundant mechanic. Another issue with the gameplay and visuals was the lack of light in certain rooms, which could make it frustrating to turn a light on. Although the game received critical reviews, as a gamer, it is not a good investment. The gameplay is often slow and boring, but is made up for due to its fantastic voice acting and story. The visuals fall somewhere in the middle, as they are neither good nor bad. My score for this game is a 7/10, as I recognize the effort and time that went into completing it. Expand
  43. Dec 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gone Home is a digital story, a game that is not based around how the game is played, but rather based around the content that is in it. The game starts with an answering machine recording that explains where the main character is, and that she has just returned from Europe after a year of being away. The first major thing that the player sees is a note on the door that says: “I’m sorry I can’t be there to see you, but it is impossible. Please, Please don’t go digging around trying to find out where I am. I don’t want Mom and Dad anyone to know. We’ll see each other again some day. Don’t be worried. I love you. – Sam” and this note, which is taped to the door, is the first piece of information that starts off the entire game.

The first time that I played through this game, I was completely enthralled with the story, and since I am an avid fan of open world games, such as the Fallout series, I have a slight tendency to make sure that I check everything around the house. The game plays very slowly, mostly because of the speed of the character, which is always walking, and thus, almost ensures that you will find more items throughout the game, rather then physically and metaphorically running through the game.

The game has an odd way of portraying its graphics, the game looks realistic, but it doesn’t have incredible detail, and so when the player is walking around the house, it feels like you are actually walking around the house, but when you go up to a piece of wood paneling, you can not see the grain, although the wood is not hyper realistic, it still looks real.

The sound in this game is in my opinion what makes this game what it is, the small creaks of the house, the rain on the windows, walls and roof whenever you get close to them. The sporadic lighting and thunder throughout the game add a degree of scariness to the game.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game; I loved the story, the ability to explore the house how I wanted. There is not much to complain about the game, your playing through it and its great; its when you play it again that the games has lost most of its luster and since you have already completed the story, and if you have found everything, there is nothing else to do, no other side to take, it is just done.
  44. Dec 5, 2014
    It's awful! Genuinely, utterly awful! I didn't check the score for this one before playing, and I am flabbergasted at this title getting 100 from the likes of Polygon.

Don't get me wrong, this ISN'T about the LGBT theme. You know what, a good game with this idea, executed properly, would be interesting, and I have to stress my review isn't a reactionary score to "social justice warriors", whatever they are exactly.

But, seriously, this is at best a demo of a game. You know those demo discs you used to get on the PS2 etc.? One of those. Because it's clearly not a finished game.

Or it may be, actually. Maybe the intention of the devs was to create a pretentious short story, completely devoid of any semblance of reality. Who knows. But what I can't understand is how a game I finished in just over ONE hour can be a full priced, retail title. No exaggeration either, one hour.

But let's pretend it could have been the best one hour of pure gameplay ever. Was it? Hell no. No, no, no. It's so painfully bland. The visuals are bland (yes, they're very 'nineties', but also quite blocky and unappealing), the gameplay consists of walking in first-person, picking something up, going "oh, look at that", putting it down, picking something else up, and so on.

Immersion isn't there because the whole concept is so utterly stupid. Yeah, you go home, nobody is there, you find a note warning not to look in further, so what does your average teenager do? Well, without spoilers, if you asked 1,000 teenagers who were 15 years old in the mid-90s what they'd do, you wouldn't find one who'd do what this game portrays.

So there you have it. A game that has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever, getting perfect scores from respected review sites. So you have to look at the reasons why, and I can only conclude that the subject matter dealt with by the tedious narrative has resulted in reviewers who WANT flawless games about these subjects deciding that it IS the perfect game about this subject.

It's not. It scores a 2 as there's no bugs to speak of and it wasn't stupid enough to charge $60 etc. But as a game, it's unplayably tedious.

I hope a good dev out there plays this title, realises the inherent potential and comes up with a great game that deals with the issues this title wants to address but fails miserably at doing so. Avoid at all costs.
  45. Dec 3, 2014
    Ya man...this is totally a game...In opposite land...Because nonviolent games where you don't do anything and nothing happens is so much fun... Get that trash off my screen...Hipsters
  46. Nov 29, 2014
    It is a really interesting game. It has great story, great graphics but it's boring. It was like that I was seen a book made into a game. Gameplay is the most important part of a game and it was really boring after 1 hour and really not worth the price they're asking for. Only buy if it is on sale.
  47. Nov 28, 2014
    It was a nice game, well paced, with obsessive attention to detail. It gave me a nice fuzzy feeling, some nostalgia, and a hefty dose of melancholy. Every character is flawed and has a subplot worth uncovering. Worth checking out and getting through in one go, which takes a couple hours.
  48. Nov 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Straight off the bat, the people who rant about Gone Home not actually being a game may be absolutely right. While there are a few "puzzles" for the player to work out, these are hardly a challenge to work out, and Gone Home can hardly be called a game any more than a film or a novel can. However, the important thing to remember is that this doesn't matter! It is a form of media that aims to deliver a story to a player and cause an emotional response, and Gone Home does that better than the vast majority of books I've read or films I've watched.

Many people seem to be saying, "If the story is all that matters, then why would you bother making a game, (or an interactive narrative experience, if you want to be a dick)?" Let me put it this way. have you ever seen a horror film. Now, I don't know about you, but I find that horror films never have much of an effect on me. They make me jump, sure, but they very rarely cause me to fee fear. Horror video games, on the other hand, are a different matter entirely. While watching a young defenseless woman hide in a cupboard, with a horrendous monstrosity only feet away, I feel very little. Put me in Amnesia however, and suddenly the drop of a pin can have me cowering in fear. Interaction, for many people at least, helps a form of media to get to them. Immersion is the word. Without immersion, a story such as this would be nothing more than average, maybe even boring. However, put the player into the story, make them feel as if they are part of it, and everything becomes a little more real, and because of this it has a greater effect on your emotions. I can honestly say that Gone Home had a greater effect on my emotions than any form of storytelling I've experienced in the last year.

Another complaint I've heard is that although the story focused element is fine, more gameplay could easily be added alongside. References to Heavy Rain, or The Walking Dead are often present. These people have once again missed a crucial detail, Gone Home is not a game. It does not need gameplay. While it is true that I find Telltale games' content more enjoyable than Gone Home, One thing I honestly believe their games could go without are the few incidences of gameplay the game has to offer. I am of course referring to the Quick Time Events. Every gamer knows that quick time events are pretty much the worst thing you can put in a game. They're Boring, repetitive, fluctuate from extremely hard to insultingly easy with the drop of a hat, and worst of all, they break immersion. Nothing takes you out of a game faster than a bunch of letters flashing onto your screen. While The Walking Dead and Heavy Rain waste time trying to be something they're not, Gone Home focuses entirely on what matters, the story.

In regards to the story, you can take it or leave it. Whether you enjoy the story, or think it's a load of pigswill is completely subjective. I would personally be in the former, but don't take that as any sort of proof.

Overall, if you're solely a gamer, look elsewhere. Gone Home has little to offer you, other than possibly a different perspective on the gaming media. However, if you're feeling pretentious and want to be thoroughly absorbed into a mundane yet moving story, settle down for an hour or two of Gone Home.
  49. Nov 18, 2014
    This isn't really a game, it's an overly long Youtube video with next to no gameplay. For an "adventure game" this wouldn't stand up to Kings Quest or even the old Dizzy games on Commodore 64. The price tag is ludicrous for what you're getting.

TL;DR - A poncy "art" experiment with an inflated price tag.
  50. Nov 17, 2014
    I bought Gone Home on its release day after following the Fullbright Company's blog for several weeks. Early 1990s aesthetics with queer themes and a riot grrl soundtrack? Of course I’m in!

It's been more than a year since then and I still count Gone Home as one of my favorite games. Gone Home came out at the beginning of my Junior year of college. I'd just moved into my own

Gone Home came out at the beginning of my Junior year of college. I'd just moved into my own apartment (as opposed to the cramped dorms of the two previous years) and I was reveling in my newfound adulthood with utility bills, cramped bus stops, and a probable case of scurvy.

Gone Home also came out in the same period that I did.

Long story short: It was a challenging time in my life that I’ve navigated through slowly and with much consideration on what’s truly important -- not unlike in Gone Home.

(Slight Spoiler Alert)

I won’t say my circumstances mirrored Sam’s. I wasn’t a teenager in the 1990s -- Hell, I was still wearing stirrup leggings and plastic animal barrettes by the time Y2K was supposed to bring the world to its glorious robot-driven end (or something like that). But in listening to Sam’s audio diaries and sorting through her notes throughout the game I was overcome with this intense nostalgia and sadness that I’m sure all kids who have ever struggled with familial approval will recognize.

I’m not quite sure I can put into words what Gone Home did for me on an affective level.

Playing it was like coming home early after middle school and sneaking into my parents’ room to search through their bedside drawers for proof of vulnerability. It was humanizing and wonderful and very, very uncomfortable at some points (I’m referring to the game here mostly -- my own explorations were more a lesson in the “better left unknown” category).

After the game ended (no spoilers I swear!) I curled up on my couch and cried for a good 20 minutes. Partly for the Greenbriar family. Partly for my own family. Partly because it was 3AM and I had a legal studies power lecture in four hours. Mostly because I found something special in Gone Home that I’d been looking for -- a LITERAL exploration of what it means to make a family out of individuals.

Despite what I've said about my own personal connection to Gone Home, I truly don’t believe you have to identify as LGBTQ or female to enjoy the game.

The narrative itself explores relationships among individuals with secrets and flaws (like in real life!) which is certainly a universal theme and as such can be appreciated by many. (((Though I will admit that having a queer female voice in a game is a definite mark in its favor and which I desperately hope will be a continued trend.))) (((Also, being open to new and different narratives is not a bad thing. Just saying.)))

On a purely visual level, the graphics and the continuity of the mid-1990s aesthetic are outstanding. Like, EVERYTHING is so much fun to look at.

Gameplay itself is intuitive and smooth with regular WASD movement controls and left/right clicking for further exploration/picking up/putting down objects.

The soundtrack is hands-down one of my all-time favorites as far as video games go (I even put it above Schyman’s Bioshock score) with Bratmobile, Heavens to Betsy, and The Youngins providing most of the Riot Grrrl ambiance. Even if punk or Riot Grrrl music isn’t your thing it just goes SO WELL with the narrative that you’ll find yourself bouncing along with it.

All in all, I honestly believe Gone Home more than deserves its critical acclaim.

Even if exploratory/story rich games aren't your deal I would definitely suggest checking out Gone Home either through a sale or a friend’s library.
  51. Nov 10, 2014
    Easily the best game ever made, because there are no males in it. This includes the wonderful riot grrl soundtrack; riot grrl is great because once again, there are no males in riot grrl bands.
  52. Nov 7, 2014
    Terrible, boring, and short. This is not much of a game at all, not spooky or interesting at all. The soundtrack is annoying. If I was the main character, I would just stayed gone nothing to return too.
  53. Nov 3, 2014
    this game is just perfect i cant understand this flame about this awesome game this story is really heartbreaking i think this is the best video game in the past 10 years everyone who gives this game less then 8 points is a dumb **** and should die by aids
  54. Oct 30, 2014
    Less of a game than The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and also worse. Basically a short film with no plot to speak of and no game play other than walking around, makes you wonder how this is even a game.
    10/10 - Polygon
  55. Oct 28, 2014
    I like stories in videogames. I even like videogames that are nothing but story, like The Stanley Parable. But this """game""" is one of the worst I have played recently.
    The story? Boring, cliched, and predictable. The ending? Boring. The atmosphere? Boring. The gameplay? What gameplay?
    Even if this was a movie instead of a videogame, it would be bad. Do not play it.
  56. Oct 27, 2014
    What is this.. I don't even...

This is it, indie games need a damn reorganization if it should be taken seriously. If you want to tell a story make a YouTube video ir a movie.. Especially if you're charging a 20 for it. Jerk.
  57. Oct 23, 2014
    Gone Home shows how the video game platform can be utilized as a form of narrative. You are placed into an empty house and for two hours layered stories emerge. Beyond the main narrative of the younger sister, Sam, you uncover small clues that weave together a story of each of the family members and the fracturing family. While the game is actually quite restrictive, it is a small houseGone Home shows how the video game platform can be utilized as a form of narrative. You are placed into an empty house and for two hours layered stories emerge. Beyond the main narrative of the younger sister, Sam, you uncover small clues that weave together a story of each of the family members and the fracturing family. While the game is actually quite restrictive, it is a small house and the game directs you pretty heavily (locked doors), at no point did it ever feel like I was being restricted. Expand
  58. Oct 21, 2014
    If your idea of fun is going through an empty house and looking at the same simple 3D objects over and over again and the occasional note or drawing, this game isn't for you.

The narrative gets a lot of praise. But what narrative? finding a book or a letter can hardly be called a good narrative. You get some journal entries and that's where the whole of the story lies every now and then. But when you finally get them all, and listen to every entry one after the other. You will see this game exposed for what it is.

This is one of the most vile, putrid, disgusting and sorry ass excuse of a "video game" I have ever played. It's all about hating males, female SJW crap and lesbian "love story" that is so smearing and plastered all over your face over and over until you want to boil yourself alive.
    Bonus! It's anti-christian, anti-God and anti family + it has occultism too complete with satanic altar and everything!
  59. Oct 12, 2014
    terrible game, screen ingame looks awesome, but the gameplay 2 hours, and ending lol

pleas no buy this scamm game, its not good, worst game i ever see it from indi
  60. Oct 10, 2014
    Although I give this a 5, I concede that this game being grounded in a setting "too non-fiction" already creates a staid atmosphere for a gamer such as myself.

In Gone Home you're alone in a huge house, you can't walk, and "gameplay" is basically lookin' at stuff in this very active environment and getting filled in on what you missed while you were gone. The game gives you a digital family and through, basically, THEIR STUFF, tries to create an immediate familial relationship. It's a sudden jolt, expecting to care about this family, in particular your sister. I'm not sure if there's a game that does this successfully, but creating a strong emotional connection to characters, where there once was nonce before is a hard task. Books and longer games are better suited for the job than Gone Home is.

The game get interesting when tones of survival-horror are introduced, but they are simply that, tones. The entire game I was expecting to have something really scary happen... expecting anything to HAPPEN really.

I turned on a lot of lights in Gone Home, but I am not particularly moved to go back. By the time I finished Gone Home, I realized that their were some locks I left unopened, some letters I hastily discarded before reading entirely, and some corners of my family's house left unexplored. For me at least, these details shall remain in the dark.
  61. Oct 8, 2014
    I've seen many a poor game in my day; none as poor as this.

I gave this "adventure" the benefit of the doubt and played it through. Needless to say, the banal experience I received is near impossible to put into words.

The best part is the fact that it cost me 19,99€.
  62. Sep 28, 2014
    This is not a game, it's an insult. The 'story' is simple, linear, cliched and soulless. The visuals are barren. Where is the tension? Where are the textures? Why would anyone pay any money for what could just as easily be experienced by means of a YouTube "Let's Play" installment?
  63. Sep 16, 2014
    Gone Home is a game that touches on "sensitive" issues and has a political agenda which is the only reason why this game has been praised by "critics." For $20 you'll get 1-2 hours worth of gameplay. You'll walk around your house searching for what happened to your sister and parents. You'll open doors, search drawers, and shuffle through socks to find notes and other items that will leadGone Home is a game that touches on "sensitive" issues and has a political agenda which is the only reason why this game has been praised by "critics." For $20 you'll get 1-2 hours worth of gameplay. You'll walk around your house searching for what happened to your sister and parents. You'll open doors, search drawers, and shuffle through socks to find notes and other items that will lead your on your journey. It's actually fairly linear since you're basically set to "Find X key to open X" And then you find the key, move to the next area and repeat until the game is over. The twist is that the story deals with a (spoiler!) oppressed lesbian. Honestly, the story itself sucked. I was never given a reason to care about this girl and she never seemed interesting in the first place. Yet, I enjoyed my time with the game. It was fun to roam through the house learning new things and I never got annoyed trying to find a specific item so it was quite casual. However there really wasn't anything great about it. The only possible reason i can see people giving this such a high score is because for some reason if you don't agree with a feminist or LGBT you'll be deemed intolerant or some other crap. This game only seeks to put fuel to the fire which is quite disappointing. Expand
  64. Sep 16, 2014
    The game is extremely boring and linear. It's expensive as **** for what it offers, and the only people that stand by it are hipsters.

Wouldn't even recommend if someone offered it.
  65. Sep 15, 2014
    This is a master piece of storytelling. something like I've not experienced before.
    The people who have given this a low score do so for a few valid reasons, one of which is that technically I would not call this a 'game'. At its core it is simply a well told story which you as the 'player' unravel as you explore the house and try to uncover the mystery as to where your family has gone to.
    The main plot about your sister 'Sam' whilst at time it may feel cliched, is very accurate to life growing u up in the 90's, an example of which are the hand written notes passed between her and her school friend Lonnie scattered about the house, with silly drawings on them etc. These and other factors make the experience given by Sam to be memorable, believable, compelling and emotional.
    There are several other sub-plots focusing at the core of each on a family member, your parents and your great Uncle all have their own stories to tell.

If you want action and adventure and car chases and guns, stay VERY far away from this as you will likely hate it. (see the negative comments/bad reviews of the game)

For me, 'Gone Home' did something I've not experienced in a long time from games, and that is the feeling of being truly immersed into the game, into the characters, and their story. I lost track of time, and found myself rummaging through cupboards and boxes looking to try and find out what had happened, and at several moments during the unfolding of the stories thinking to myself as the protagonist 'okay but where the hell is everyone?!?!" out of genuine concern. and that is an experience i have not gotten from a game in many years!
  66. Sep 12, 2014
    If i ever get asked to demonstrate what a anti-climax is, i'll glady point to this game. Everything it could have been, it failed miserably at.
    It was 20 minutes long for me, so, it's incredebly short. There is no carachter development, actually, there are no caracthers, the main protagonist could be a man, a women, a goat or an alien and the game would have been the same. The rest could be same or the other "caracthers" who are only present through messages "ex: notes".
    I get that it tries to send a message of oppresed love wich drove the girls to run away, but because off the lack of emotional development, it fails at that too.
    It does create a horror like mood, but doesn't act on it.
    I guess were supposed to feel bad or emphathyze with Sam, but that doesn't happen either, not because she's a lesbian, or because she's a women, not only because she was not present, but because the story did not change due to her influence. Furthermore, between games with an absolutely amazing capabilyty of playing with the emotions of the one playing it (Ex: The Walking Dead series, ...), games with amazing storylines and worlds, worth exploring and diving into (Ex: TWD, Shadow of the Colossus, TES ...), Gone Home felt like it didn't even try to make it worth while, it didn't try to compete.

TL;DR - 20 minutes of boring yet eerie gameplay that leads to no character development, no climax, only the revelation that two girls ran away together because of social stygma.

PS: How did paid critics give this an average score of 86? I mean, i would get a 50 or even go as far as a 60, but a 86? How can this get a 86 while Alan Wake, a game much better crafted and tailored, with a much more interesting story and a much more lore friendly world, gets a 8.3?
  67. Sep 11, 2014
    I had no idea what to expect from the game, other than that I knew it was a "figure out what happened using evidence" type game. At first, I was confused and didn't really see the point, but as small portions of the story popped up, my interested spiked. I wanted to find out more and what exactly was going on. I noticed things and began to understand. I had "Ahhhh yes, now I get it"I had no idea what to expect from the game, other than that I knew it was a "figure out what happened using evidence" type game. At first, I was confused and didn't really see the point, but as small portions of the story popped up, my interested spiked. I wanted to find out more and what exactly was going on. I noticed things and began to understand. I had "Ahhhh yes, now I get it" moments, and the story grew. I kept playing, kept going; just to find out more. Played it from start to finish all at once.

Top Notch!
  68. Sep 11, 2014
    That's it??? Really??? This is what all the hype was about? This "game" was a complete waste of my time and money. The graphics were underwhelming, the soundtrack (if you want to call it that) made me want to stick sharp objects in my ears, the characters were sad and pathetic, and the story was boring and predictable. On top of that, it's a very short game. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON THIS!
  69. Sep 4, 2014
    Extraordinarily mediocre game that is priced about seven times too high for the content the gamer plays. This is a game that can be completed in three hours at most with an emphasis on story. Unfortunately, the story leaves a lot to be desired, full of cliches and guessable outcomes. There are about three different side stories within the game that are far more interesting than the storyExtraordinarily mediocre game that is priced about seven times too high for the content the gamer plays. This is a game that can be completed in three hours at most with an emphasis on story. Unfortunately, the story leaves a lot to be desired, full of cliches and guessable outcomes. There are about three different side stories within the game that are far more interesting than the story Fullbright decided to highlight, and that is a shame, because these stories are never followed to a resolution or any true outcome. While it can be interesting to follow along to the story and go through the most private possessions of your character's family's belongings, it ultimately leads to disappointment and does not justify any interest that the gamer ever held in the game at all.

In summary, this overpriced and cliched game is interesting enough to stick with for its incredibly short play time, but any interest in the story falters when one gets to the disappointing and lackluster conclusion.
  70. Sep 2, 2014
    I can't begin to express how amazing this game is. By the end I was so wrapped up in the narrative that I had a physical emotional reaction. While playing a game. That's some Walking Dead stuff right there.

Sure, this could be redone as a short story, or a podcast, or whatever, but it is so incredible as a video game. You get to be a part of the narrative in a way you couldn't in any other medium.

This game deserves your time for so many reasons, you'd be a fool to skip it.
  71. Aug 28, 2014
    Something that strips away all that we expect of video games that contain mechanics and leaves it bare with just a weak, trite, and overhyped "narrative". Here's the problem with this "game", there are actual games that present a compelling narrative FAR BETTER than this and also are fully fleshed out titles (Deus Ex: HR, rummage around Adam Jensen's apartment and you get to learn aboutSomething that strips away all that we expect of video games that contain mechanics and leaves it bare with just a weak, trite, and overhyped "narrative". Here's the problem with this "game", there are actual games that present a compelling narrative FAR BETTER than this and also are fully fleshed out titles (Deus Ex: HR, rummage around Adam Jensen's apartment and you get to learn about his past). There's an entire genre of point and clicks that do it far better than this, and there are even some third person games similar to this that offer a far more compelling plot (the recent Sherlock Holmes game that allows you to play it like a third person game or switch to a point and click style).

Get this game if it goes on sale - the critic reviews vs. the user feedback should show you how messed up the game industry is - take everything you read with a grain of salt, including my own review.
  72. Aug 21, 2014
    This is more of an interactive novel than it is a game - and no matter how much I wanted to really like it (riot grrl?! hell yeah!), it just didn't have the game play to back up to $15 price tag.

I beat this game in about 80 minutes, which is saying something. I love to take my time, winding through a game and exploring all of its hidden secrets, but there wasn't a whole hell of a lot of that in this game. You're just walking around in half lit rooms, trying to figure which hallway you're in, trying to move the story forward. This is something that would have definitely worked better as a short story or even a short film.

Maybe the console update will see some improvements, here's to hoping! Not the best, but not the worst either. A solid 6.
  73. Aug 20, 2014
    Unconventional is the word; its not a game but rather a display of an interactive short story. There are no game mechanics, no puzzles, nothing, just progression through unlocking sections of the house, and a beautiful story, with great music and voice acting. But it would not be fair to give it a higher score, yes its artistic, but I was expecting some kind of involvement through play,Unconventional is the word; its not a game but rather a display of an interactive short story. There are no game mechanics, no puzzles, nothing, just progression through unlocking sections of the house, and a beautiful story, with great music and voice acting. But it would not be fair to give it a higher score, yes its artistic, but I was expecting some kind of involvement through play, puzzles would have been nice.

I wish this level of writing could be achieved by real games, but in the meantime, you've got "Gone Home".
  74. Aug 11, 2014
    I disagree. 9 or 10 is too much. Gone home is just a good game nothing more. It feels real, but I think it still lacks many things to be that perfect.
  75. Aug 7, 2014
    This game is extremely tedious, predictable and the story, being the driving point of the game, was to basic and lacked creativity as it were to realistic and did not have any interesting twists or turns. This game definitely does not deserve the awards awarded to it but does have beautiful sounds and visuals which aid to create an eerie atmosphere. The story was revealed well (doesn'tThis game is extremely tedious, predictable and the story, being the driving point of the game, was to basic and lacked creativity as it were to realistic and did not have any interesting twists or turns. This game definitely does not deserve the awards awarded to it but does have beautiful sounds and visuals which aid to create an eerie atmosphere. The story was revealed well (doesn't mean it has a good story). So if you like games that describe boring love lives this is for you! But otherwise don't purchase this game it is a waste of your time. I gave this game a 0 as felt only really the story mattered as it was the driving point in the game, which I would rate a 0. Expand
  76. Aug 6, 2014
    I dont know, what is going on. I played this game and when I looked for the metacritic score I thought:, well this is going to have a 4 or 3 or whatever. But 86? 86 dammit???
    I dont get this. This game is an example for a good Story and good ideas, but horrible execution. I mean, you already probably know that this game ist only an hour Long, but also the gameplay is really boring. The only good Thing going on, is the Story. I wont spoil anything, but it is very good. But for 15€ or $20 I dont get why this game gets that good of a score. There are more games out there worth buying for that Price.
  77. Aug 3, 2014
    Biggest act of betrayal from critics ever. Giving a game perfect score or anything close to a perfect score just because it deals with gay rights is not just deceitful, dishonest and suspect but is also perverse, not for the subject matter but for the bull#&$ pc way you've handled a professional job. I can no longer rely on professional reviews to make a judgment on if I will make a gameBiggest act of betrayal from critics ever. Giving a game perfect score or anything close to a perfect score just because it deals with gay rights is not just deceitful, dishonest and suspect but is also perverse, not for the subject matter but for the bull#&$ pc way you've handled a professional job. I can no longer rely on professional reviews to make a judgment on if I will make a game purchase,

Thankfully we have user reviews on Metacritic which I WILL be using to avoid "games" like this in the future as I would AIDS. Although even with that you need to make sure it's not corporate shills typing their one off review with a 9/10 attachment, or some delusional art student, who's only game consists of this, pacman and portal. . You're not fooling anyone guys.

Great idea, horribly delivered, the dialogue wasn't even good, the best friend subplot felt disjointed to the narrative, I mean I could go on and on and on.

The atmosphere was great if it was a horror game as the blurb would lead you to believe, but it isn't, it's just a disappointing walking simulator that does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to entice you. Thankfully the game only clocked in at an hour. First, (and hopefully last), game I will ever truly regret buying, leaving me with an awful taste, a slightly more full rubbish bin, and a lasting wish that I had some recourse for restitution i.e. a f$&**^ refund. Seriously, frak this game and all the reviewers.
  78. Aug 1, 2014
    15 minutes or less is enough to crack the mystery of the plot in this game. Remaining time is for getting a feeling of self satisfaction from each clue proving that you were right. Good job, Fullbright, if that's what you were aiming for.

Some say it's not even a video game. I disagree. It is a game, and not one of the kind. Do you remember Scratches (2006) by Nucleosys? I see a lot of similarities, except that Scratches 'did it right', so to speak.

You are alone in big and scary mansion, your objective is to get to know other inhabitants by digging through their things. However, in Scratches, the atmosphere is better, the story cannot be made obsolete in such ridiculously short time, and the overall setting is more interesting. You can't play with lights and grab all the garbage lying around in Scratches, but would you even want to? You can do that in other games (like Resident Evil or Skyrim).

Enough about the old, this review is about Gone Home. I give it 3 out of 10, because of it's good voice acting (+), because it made me feel very smart (+), and because it reminded me of better games (+) with same features. I DO NOT recommend this game to anyone, unless it's the only thing available.
  79. Jul 20, 2014
    ~Please note, that I have only seen a Let's Play of Gone Home, and have not actually played it~

STORY - Gone Home's story is nothing out of the ordinary, and consists of a girl called Katie coming home to see her parents after travelling the world. When she returns, they are missing, and she has to try and find out what happened to them. It sounds a bit like a plot from NCIS, even

STORY -
    Gone Home's story is nothing out of the ordinary, and consists of a girl called Katie coming home to see her parents after travelling the world. When she returns, they are missing, and she has to try and find out what happened to them. It sounds a bit like a plot from NCIS, even though it's a setup for something truly different, yet sadly becomes easy to predict what happened to Sam Greenbriar very early into the game. It's not particularly unique, but it portrays what it's trying to get through beautifully.

GAMEPLAY-
    Much like a lot of "Walking Simulations" (Adventure games, as we used to call them), the gameplay is extremely basic and slow-paced. It involves you finding a series on letters from your sister, as well as side-clues to help you figure out what's going on. The gameplay isn't the core focus, but it's still functional. No issues here.

GRAPHICS-
    Graphically Gone Home is quite nice. It looks fairly cartoony for the most part, and has a nice amount of detail on everything. The lighting effects are basic, but atmospheric, and it all looks very clean and well done, with a couple of badly textured areas.

VERDICT-
    Gone home isn't for everyone, but if you like Adventure games, you'll be right at home here. Don't be fooled by thinking it's a horror game (Which may have been why some were disappointed, looking through Metacritic), it's actually a very heartfelt and beautiful game, that I strongly recommend, however, I understand that this game isn't for everyone.

PROS-
    -Functional Gameplay
    -Nice graphical style
    -Great story
    -Fairly good detail
    -Voice acting is really good

CONS-
    -Overpriced
    -Some poorly textured areas
    -A little too short.
  80. Jul 11, 2014
    Gone Home is a game that attempts to be art, and in its endeavours forgets to be a game. Its interactivity is limited to moving around and looking at objects, making it nothing more than a walking simulator. In fact, Gone Home cannot be considered a video game in many respects. As a game, it is definitely not worth playing. Gone Home serves as proof that video games should not try to be art.
  81. Jul 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Plain and simple, it's an interactive story. I'm not knockin' it for that. It's just that.....
    ....that ending was absolutely ridiculous! I cracked up so hard. To summarize, the main character's little sister has a lesbian love affair, and their Ouija board tells them to run off together, and the parents are gone looking for them. That's why you come home to an empty house, lol!
  82. Jul 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. -TL;DR- Spoiler Free
    Rating: 2/10
    It is barely a game, and there are better stories out there more worthy of your time and money.
    It is about two hours long.
    -TL;DR- Spoiler Free

Actual Review
    -Objective- Spoiler Free
    In Gone Home you come home from a journey to Europe to find your family home empty. You then wander around the house picking up things trying to find those that trigger auditory journal entries from your younger sister or give clues to where other entry triggering items may be. There are also subplots about your mother and father which do not have auditory journal entries. After one to two (realtime) hours of searching the house you discover why your family is not present, the screen fades to black, music plays, and credits roll.
    -Objective- Spoiler Free

-Subjective- Spoilers
    The stories told in Gone Home are generic. They may seem unique to people who only play video games, but such stories have been told before, with superior presentation, and superior depth in other artistic mediums. The main story is focused on the player character's younger sister. PC's younger sister has a hard time making friends and gets in trouble with authority figures because of teenage angst. It is then revealed that the younger sister is a homosexual, and the rest of the story is about her romantic involvement with another teenage girl. PC's parents deny their daughter's homosexuality and ground her for a month and disallow her girlfriend being alone with her with closed doors afterwards. Naturally the younger sister dislikes this because she is unable to see her girlfriend for a month and afterwards they would not be able to have sex. Then younger sister and her girlfriend will have to break up because of reasons, but then because of feelings they decide to stay together and drive away together, which is why neither of them are at home.
    The dad is a struggling author.
    The mom works in the forest.
    They have relationship problems and head to a couples retreat, which is why neither of them are home.
    Little sister's former male friend took his SNES back after finding out she is a lesbian, leaving PC with no games at all in the house. Thanks a lot, you jerk.
    -Subjective- Spoilers
  83. Jul 6, 2014
    This game does something unique in the current gaming scene, it conveys the narrative from an almost second person perspective.
    The story the game presents and the world it builds is very well done and nuanced with a lot of it up to the players interpretation
    However the asking price for this game being 20 dollars for only two hours of content is questionable and the game may of suffered from some false advertising as its presented almost as a horror game
    Overall though i thoroughly enjoyed is game and i can see why this game has such a low user score as it is defiantly not a game for everyone and the asking price is a bit steep
  84. Jul 6, 2014
    This game surprised me with how brilliant it is. A great story told perfectly. I don't usually get too emotional with games, but felt the feels in the second half of this game. Awesome soundtrack and nostalgia plus for those who lived through the 90s.
  85. Jul 1, 2014
    The bad thing about reviewing this game is that the game is not very depth mechanics wise. This review is basically hindered on the fact of how well I liked the story and the few characters that are in it.

I enjoyed the story quite a bit, I did find myself really enjoying the character development and recording. It really let you into the life of you (Kaitlin) and your sister you hear through recordings (Sam).

The audio was pretty great. The voice acting was solid, not that this was an extremely difficult job but great nonetheless. The music was pretty solid queuing in when needed and the song at the ending makes a nice parallel to something you hear from your sister earlier on it hit home with the song at the end.

Graphics... I am not one to talk about graphics too much because I do not care about them unless they take you out of the experience the game is going for. For this game I think they are okay, nothing spectacular in the sense the textures are a little messy which take you out of the "zone" but for what it is it's okay. Period.

The length of the game is very short. Even with someone like me who read every document and what not, it only took me ~2 hours. That is good and bad... Good because the story could only really a hold a 1-3 hour length. Bad because some people have paid $10-$20 for this game and it is not worth that price at all. I picked it up today on the steam sale for $2.99. Yes it was worth that price tag and maybe a $5-7 price range but nothing more.

For those saying this shouldn't be a game, I disagree wholeheartedly. The reason being this game could not exist as is in another medium. It is far too short and lacks depth to be a book or a movie.

Overall, it is a good game, with a huge emphasis on story so don't expect anymore mechanics from a interactive story. Should you pick it up? Yes, if you enjoy JUST a story and ONLY if you can find it from a $0-5 price range. I feel very bad for the people who spent $20 on the game so I do understand where there frustrations come from.
  86. Jun 30, 2014
    This is not a game, it is an audio log with the ability to walk around. "Unravel the mystery for yourself" Your sister is a homosexual, mystery solved, and I saved you $20.
  87. Jun 28, 2014
    Beautiful story and nice references, but it fails on what is the most important in games: Being fun to play. Gone Home is boring, it could have puzzles or something to make it fun, but it doesn't.
  88. Jun 27, 2014
    I really loved this game. It was a unique and personal experience and also a kind of sentimental / retro feeling to it for me because it is set in the 90s and remembered me of my childhood a lot. Play it while you are alone at home! It was intriguing and tense for me.

I found this truly to be a masterpiece. If you are interested in life and intellect, you will love it. If not, go and

I found this truly to be a masterpiece.

If you are interested in life and intellect, you will love it. If not, go and masturbate to your favourite Call of Duty game.
  89. Jun 26, 2014
    I really wish I could take my money back. This game was completely advertised wrong. There is no suspense, no mystery, and no real compelling characters. The only reason I can imagine this game received any critical acclaim was due to the fact they picked a hot topic somewhat controversial social issue and threw it in there, forcing critics to give the game a high review lest theyI really wish I could take my money back. This game was completely advertised wrong. There is no suspense, no mystery, and no real compelling characters. The only reason I can imagine this game received any critical acclaim was due to the fact they picked a hot topic somewhat controversial social issue and threw it in there, forcing critics to give the game a high review lest they appear to be bigoted and out of touch with society.. There were no new mechanics, including story telling mechanics in this game. In short, the game was flat, boring, and brought nothing new or compelling to the art of video games. Expand
  90. Jun 26, 2014
    Hello there childrens, join me today for the most boring, akward, not-interesting journey about Sam, some girl with no personality whatsoever!

As first, let's get this through: this is a first person adventure, so I wasn't expecting much action or big stuff goin on since it's all based on the plot. But why do you even make a game like this if your plot it's usless? We'll focus more on

But why do you even make a game like this if your plot it's usless? We'll focus more on this later.

The map it's surprisingly good looking, and there are lot of stuff you can interact with, and most of them will bring you back the 90s feel (such as VHS, cassette tapes etc). Most of the models looks very good, and the graphic is fine.

I don't really know what to say about the soundtrack. Sometimes it's really really good and it work well with the moment, sometimes well.. it's just silly. A sad song pops up almost out of nowhere, or you find a cassette tape with a song that will make your ear bleed and grow a mouth that will ask you to stop playing the game.

The voice acting it's good, but in the end, there is just 1 actress, the main protagonist talking. She's good, but doesen't help the story to look interesting. Also, her laugh makes me unconfortable.

And now, the main thing about the game. The story. Short, predictable and pointless. ****

You have this setting: you're Sam, a girl that it's coming back home after a while to find out that no one it's home. But why? We'll see that later on.
    You have to explore the home to find out more about your past and to what happened to everyone. Turns out you're "not attracted to men" and you had a long complicated story with your partner. A love story that for most of the time it's **** akward to listen and really made me unconfortable BUT NOT because of the sexual iterest into someone of the same gender, don't get me wrong, it was akward BECAUSE IT GET REALLY **** RIDICULOUS FOR MOST OF THE EVENTS SHE'S NARRATING. And most of this event ends up with her crying. What a surprise.
    In the end, to be honest, the story could have been interesting or a little more enjoyable if something big whould happen, like some trama plot. But nope, in the end they tear apart, they never saw each other, teh edn. Boo-hoo ending I guess. Not working at all.
    Oh and what happened to the family, why they leave the house? I dunno. Why, do you care? Should we care? I think the story it's already good without some explanation. Effin-great.

Also, this game looks easy as it can gets. There are almost no puzzles, just a bunch of combination or paper that tells you where to find hidden spots (just 2 or 3 in the whole game) and it's super short. I've beat this game in 77 minutes. And what's the best part? If you like to mess around, you could easly find the main hidden spot, get the key, go to the attic and beat the game in 3 minutes! Who designed this **** Aha!

Final rating: 2/10

You probably need to be some Tumblr feminist girl to enjoy this story. Probably even them find this game offensive.

Oh, almost forgot, this won "Best PC game" over "Paper, please" and "Stanley Parable". Good.
  91. Jun 23, 2014
    Gone Home is a fantastic game, and it's a shame that so many Metacritic users have rated it poorly just because they can't do a 360 noscope in it. It's true, Gone Home isn't a competitive game. But, it's a beautiful game nonetheless. The sense of exploration and emotion that this game gives is astounding. 10/10 don't believe anyone who says otherwise.
  92. Jun 21, 2014
    Many people dislike this game because they say it is stupid and pointless. They don't seem to understand the actual story itself in the game. It isn't for killing or to be very scary. I love it because of the story and it's simplicity. It doesn't have to be very complicated to make sense. I would not spend the full $20 on it, so wait for a sale. And when it does go on sale, buy it.
  93. Jun 17, 2014
    This game is not a game, and it is a game. But it is not a game. But it is.

This game is not a game, and it is a game. But it is not a game. But it is.

You have to look at the "User Score distribution" here in Metacritic to understand why critics are praising this game. Half the users love this game, half the users hate it. I think there are different type of positive and negative reviewers posting here, and studying their love and hate IS an interesting way of reviewing this game for me.

Some of them are praising or hating the game because of the context of the story told, and their love/hate is conscious regarding the "topic", because they feel, wether for love or hate, the main "issue" in the story is what matters most in order to love or hate this game. In case of haters, they dont have any problem on saying things like "gone homo" and so on. In case of said lovers, they express their feelings on how much they relate to the girl´s suffering in this story because of their personal experience, other peoples love was centred on how much they felt "back in the 90´s". This people wouldnt care much about gameplay or graphics, or at least not that much.

Others are loving or (mostly) hating this game also because of same story context, but rather in a more or less UNCONSCIOUS way. They start their review talking about graphics and "sound issues" (yah, I swear I saw someone complaining about the quality of the sound in THIS game) but more or less at some point they start going VERY aggresively towards the thing that they really care about regarding the storyline. This people wont be openly hateful, but you can "feel" it in their review (wether they are trying to hide it by complaining about "graphics", or they are totally unconscious about the truly source of their dislike or like, they concentrate their fire on the "this is propaganda!" issue.

And at last we have a group of gamers who dont care about the storyline, or have mixed feelings, but they complain about the "this is no game!" issue. And they say things like "There is no plot twist!". One of them says "there is nothing wrong in the house! I thought i was about to find something but there was NOTHING!"

I have nothing to say to the first group or the second group of reviewers (the ones who consciously or unconsciously centered their review on the sexual orientation of the characters) But I WANT to say something to those who complain in the third group

This is a game that is not meant to be played again and again, if you play it thoroughly from start to finish. If you rush through the house finding the way to the end of the road, concentrating on finding "the doors" and opening them all till you see the credits rolling, you will get to what may call "the end" of this game very quickly, but you will not have "finished" the game. You didnt "play" the game.

A game like Skyrim, for example, how many people can say they have really get to "the end" of it? Yes, there is a main quest, and it takes a finite amount of hours to finish it, but to really "finish" the game, it would take months I presume. Most people probably didnt walk through ALL the possible roads of that game. But is it a matter just of "lenght" what defines the quality of an experience in front of a computer?

Is it a 2 hours movie inherently better than a short film then? just because it has "much more minutes to watch"? Couldnt we say that there are good and bad movies, and good and bad short films? Gone Home is an amazing short-game, but the thing is, as same as it happens with many short films, it doesnt appeal to every audience. You dont eat pop corn during short-films.

The word that comes to my mind when I think about this game is HONESTY. No tricks, no aliens kidnapping people, no ghosts attacking us from behind, no matter how much x-files or JFK references, we finally understand that this 90´s house was....a 90´s house. And that teens play with ouijas.

The thing is MANY people don´t like honesty in their media. They want to KNOW what they are "consuming" before getting it, even from the trailer itself, they want to know what they are up against.

This is the kind of people that RAGED against HBO at the end of the first season of Game of Thrones. Because the people running that show TRICKED them into watching something and then BETRAYED them by not doing a magic trick to save a character that was CLEARLY on the path to his own demise. Seeing any similarities?

That is why I give this game a score of 10. Because for me it should be a 7.5. But I HAVE to say 10, because I have to take part in this "clash of reviews" to fight for "the balance", against the haters in the "user score distribution" of Metacritic. Because haters have been too much vocal against this game, and it doesnt deserve so much hate. Because this game is DIFFERENT, and ironically, being hated for being different has a lot to do with this game, and I fear, with many of these reviews

I dont know winter, but the oculus rift is coming, and this "not-games!" are here to stay.
    Thankfully.
  94. Jun 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Homosexual Political Correctness must get +3 points from the "professional" critics, because this is a complete disappointment. The game designers wanted to make an eerie haunted house adventure, while the writers wanted a boring lesbian love story.

Seriously, the "big reveal" is that she's a **** Not a vampire-hunting girl team, or a pair of female detectives, they're just typical whiney lesbians. YAWN.....

This isn't 1975 anymore. Homosexuals aren't especially interesting. Discovering your character is a boring **** should not be a game's victory, and is a numbing disappointment after such care was put into haunting atmosphere by the designers.

Save your money and watch an hour of Lifetime on cable.
  95. Jun 12, 2014
    If you grew up and/or raised teenagers in the late 1980's to early 90's you will probably have a lot to relate to here. If you can relate to this story and it clicks, you will absolutely love it. I think this is the reason for so many low user review scores. This game will probably not meet expectations for anyone born later than 1985, as today's current generation may be unable toIf you grew up and/or raised teenagers in the late 1980's to early 90's you will probably have a lot to relate to here. If you can relate to this story and it clicks, you will absolutely love it. I think this is the reason for so many low user review scores. This game will probably not meet expectations for anyone born later than 1985, as today's current generation may be unable to appreciate the glee of going back in time and reliving a very special period in recent history. In this "game" you are essentially playing through a short story. This story brings us back to 1995 and takes place in a single night at the Greenbriar family's new home. The game is more of a storytelling simulation than a proper game and will take most players approximately 2 hours to complete. In those couple of hours I laughed, I cried, I felt suspense and fear for the family, and especially the sister's, well-being. By the end of the story I genuinely cared about the Greenbriar's and their stories outcome. For me, more interactive objects, more storytelling details and slightly better graphics would have probably earned this title a 10/10. Expand
  96. Jun 9, 2014
    "Mildly interactive fiction" might be a more appropriate term for this software, rather than calling it a game. Honestly, I've seen Japanese visual novels with more actual gameplay than this. Even then, it's not very good at what it actually does. It has no real skill-based elements, no replay value and the narrative isn't even very interesting.

I cannot recommend this at any price,

I cannot recommend this at any price, really. If you want a game with story, you're probably better off playing an old Sierra point-and-click adventure. At least, those are more entertaining.
  97. Jun 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thanks, Fullbright... Thank you for relegating LGBT issues to being the punch-line of a terribly dreary, repetitive and rather pretentious interactive story and having the gall to charge $20 for the experience.

... End sarcasm mode.
  98. Jun 8, 2014
    First of all, this game is ONLY for who wants something more than a good story. So, if you want anything else, you won't like it, but if you are the right person for this game, you'll love it. At the beginning it could be a little slow, but when you start discovering what happened, you won't leave the pc. This game is poetic and moving, but not everyone (as you can see from the user score)First of all, this game is ONLY for who wants something more than a good story. So, if you want anything else, you won't like it, but if you are the right person for this game, you'll love it. At the beginning it could be a little slow, but when you start discovering what happened, you won't leave the pc. This game is poetic and moving, but not everyone (as you can see from the user score) can understand that. I read things like "at first i was excepting a murder and jumpscares but than it was boooooring". Well, than why did you buy it? The only reason why i don't give it 10 is the price, too much for a game like this, but if you find it in sale, just buy it. Expand
  99. Jun 8, 2014
    I went into this game expecting it to be horror. Dark, stormy night, you're home alone and no one is to be found. Once I realized it wasn't, I was like, "well, okay, it's not what I thought, but hopefully it picks up soon.". Nope. It just gets more and more boring. This is not a game. You walk and click, without having any real impact on anything. I felt like a ghost floating around theI went into this game expecting it to be horror. Dark, stormy night, you're home alone and no one is to be found. Once I realized it wasn't, I was like, "well, okay, it's not what I thought, but hopefully it picks up soon.". Nope. It just gets more and more boring. This is not a game. You walk and click, without having any real impact on anything. I felt like a ghost floating around the house getting more and more pissed at my dumb little sister. So you're a teen lesbian in love, that's FINE, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But you expect me to be okay with her running away with someone who is now AWOL? That is a serious damn crime. It's nice the people writing positive reviews liked the story, but this is supposed to be a game. Something you participate in, help move along. Waste of money, seriously just bad. Expand
  100. Jun 1, 2014
    A game with very little gameplay. Interaction is minimal and the length does not justify the 20 dollar price tag. The story was good but nothing deserving of a Pulitzer or any other award. If I want a good story I will always find better writing in literature.
  101. Aug 17, 2013
    Walkin' around a house, lookin' at scraps of papers. Openin' drawers, turnin' lights on, the end. Not quite my cup of tea for a video game. Sure, it's an interesting way to deliver a story, but that's all it is, I didn't find it to be the masterpiece the critic's seem to be praising, perhaps they're just far too jaded by conventional games.

I found the story itself and ending really

I found the story itself and ending really underwhelming considering that was the focal point of the game; it just felt like a playable, albeit forgettable and predictable, Lifetime movie. So I just can't get on board this hype train. By the end of it, I felt like having no gameplay was more a gimmick than anything else. What happens when more "games" likes this with similarly decent stories come out? Are we still praising it with perfect 10's? It's different, I get it, but that doesn't make it a good game.

1. Jan 5, 2014
    A beautiful, emotionally engaging, artfully crafted game, completely centered around exploration and telling a mature story through interaction.
  2. Dec 2, 2013
    A story that will move some and alienate others.
  3. Nov 10, 2013
    Gone home is a beautiful story told with talent. The total immersion and storytelling brings a sense of renewal in the world of video games. Unfortunately, lifespan is too short: 2 hours are enough to see the end.