5.4

1. Sep 16, 2014
    Gone Home is a game that touches on "sensitive" issues and has a political agenda which is the only reason why this game has been praised by "critics." For $20 you'll get 1-2 hours worth of gameplay. You'll walk around your house searching for what happened to your sister and parents. You'll open doors, search drawers, and shuffle through socks to find notes and other items that will lead your on your journey. It's actually fairly linear since you're basically set to "Find X key to open X" And then you find the key, move to the next area and repeat until the game is over. The twist is that the story deals with a (spoiler!) oppressed lesbian. Honestly, the story itself sucked. I was never given a reason to care about this girl and she never seemed interesting in the first place. Yet, I enjoyed my time with the game. It was fun to roam through the house learning new things and I never got annoyed trying to find a specific item so it was quite casual. However there really wasn't anything great about it. The only possible reason i can see people giving this such a high score is because for some reason if you don't agree with a feminist or LGBT you'll be deemed intolerant or some other crap. This game only seeks to put fuel to the fire which is quite disappointing. Expand
  2. Sep 16, 2014
    The game is extremely boring and linear. It's expensive as **** for what it offers, and the only people that stand by it are hipsters.

Wouldn't even recommend if someone offered it.
  3. Sep 15, 2014
    This is a master piece of storytelling. something like I've not experienced before.
    The people who have given this a low score do so for a few valid reasons, one of which is that technically I would not call this a 'game'. At its core it is simply a well told story which you as the 'player' unravel as you explore the house and try to uncover the mystery as to where your family has gone
    to.
    The main plot about your sister 'Sam' whilst at time it may feel cliched, is very accurate to life growing u up in the 90's, an example of which are the hand written notes passed between her and her school friend Lonnie scattered about the house, with silly drawings on them etc. These and other factors make the experience given by Sam to be memorable, believable, compelling and emotional.
    There are several other sub-plots focusing at the core of each on a family member, your parents and your great Uncle all have their own stories to tell.

If you want action and adventure and car chases and guns, stay VERY far away from this as you will likely hate it. (see the negative comments/bad reviews of the game)

For me, 'Gone Home' did something I've not experienced in a long time from games, and that is the feeling of being truly immersed into the game, into the characters, and their story. I lost track of time, and found myself rummaging through cupboards and boxes looking to try and find out what had happened, and at several moments during the unfolding of the stories thinking to myself as the protagonist 'okay but where the hell is everyone?!?!" out of genuine concern. and that is an experience i have not gotten from a game in many years!
  4. Sep 14, 2014
    WTF is ? Walk simulator ? WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF !
  5. Sep 12, 2014
    If i ever get asked to demonstrate what a anti-climax is, i'll glady point to this game. Everything it could have been, it failed miserably at.
    It was 20 minutes long for me, so, it's incredebly short. There is no carachter development, actually, there are no caracthers, the main protagonist could be a man, a women, a goat or an alien and the game would have been the same. The rest could
    be same or the other "caracthers" who are only present through messages "ex: notes".
    I get that it tries to send a message of oppresed love wich drove the girls to run away, but because off the lack of emotional development, it fails at that too.
    It does create a horror like mood, but doesn't act on it.
    I guess were supposed to feel bad or emphathyze with Sam, but that doesn't happen either, not because she's a lesbian, or because she's a women, not only because she was not present, but because the story did not change due to her influence. Furthermore, between games with an absolutely amazing capabilyty of playing with the emotions of the one playing it (Ex: The Walking Dead series, ...), games with amazing storylines and worlds, worth exploring and diving into (Ex: TWD, Shadow of the Colossus, TES ...), Gone Home felt like it didn't even try to make it worth while, it didn't try to compete.

TL;DR - 20 minutes of boring yet eerie gameplay that leads to no character development, no climax, only the revelation that two girls ran away together because of social stygma.

PS: How did paid critics give this an average score of 86? I mean, i would get a 50 or even go as far as a 60, but a 86? How can this get a 86 while Alan Wake, a game much better crafted and tailored, with a much more interesting story and a much more lore friendly world, gets a 8.3?
  6. Sep 11, 2014
    I had no idea what to expect from the game, other than that I knew it was a "figure out what happened using evidence" type game. At first, I was confused and didn't really see the point, but as small portions of the story popped up, my interested spiked. I wanted to find out more and what exactly was going on. I noticed things and began to understand. I had "Ahhhh yes, now I get it" moments, and the story grew. I kept playing, kept going; just to find out more. Played it from start to finish all at once.

Top Notch!
  7. Sep 11, 2014
    That's it??? Really??? This is what all the hype was about? This "game" was a complete waste of my time and money. The graphics were underwhelming, the soundtrack (if you want to call it that) made me want to stick sharp objects in my ears, the characters were sad and pathetic, and the story was boring and predictable. On top of that, it's a very short game. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON THIS!
  8. Sep 4, 2014
    Extraordinarily mediocre game that is priced about seven times too high for the content the gamer plays. This is a game that can be completed in three hours at most with an emphasis on story. Unfortunately, the story leaves a lot to be desired, full of cliches and guessable outcomes. There are about three different side stories within the game that are far more interesting than the story Fullbright decided to highlight, and that is a shame, because these stories are never followed to a resolution or any true outcome. While it can be interesting to follow along to the story and go through the most private possessions of your character's family's belongings, it ultimately leads to disappointment and does not justify any interest that the gamer ever held in the game at all.

In summary, this overpriced and cliched game is interesting enough to stick with for its incredibly short play time, but any interest in the story falters when one gets to the disappointing and lackluster conclusion.
  9. Sep 2, 2014
    I can't begin to express how amazing this game is. By the end I was so wrapped up in the narrative that I had a physical emotional reaction. While playing a game. That's some Walking Dead stuff right there.

Sure, this could be redone as a short story, or a podcast, or whatever, but it is so incredible as a video game. You get to be a part of the narrative in a way you couldn't in any
    other medium.

This game deserves your time for so many reasons, you'd be a fool to skip it.
  10. Aug 28, 2014
    Something that strips away all that we expect of video games that contain mechanics and leaves it bare with just a weak, trite, and overhyped "narrative". Here's the problem with this "game", there are actual games that present a compelling narrative FAR BETTER than this and also are fully fleshed out titles (Deus Ex: HR, rummage around Adam Jensen's apartment and you get to learn about his past). There's an entire genre of point and clicks that do it far better than this, and there are even some third person games similar to this that offer a far more compelling plot (the recent Sherlock Holmes game that allows you to play it like a third person game or switch to a point and click style).

Get this game if it goes on sale - the critic reviews vs. the user feedback should show you how messed up the game industry is - take everything you read with a grain of salt, including my own review.
  11. Aug 21, 2014
    This is more of an interactive novel than it is a game - and no matter how much I wanted to really like it (riot grrl?! hell yeah!), it just didn't have the game play to back up to $15 price tag.

I beat this game in about 80 minutes, which is saying something. I love to take my time, winding through a game and exploring all of its hidden secrets, but there wasn't a whole hell of a lot
    of that in this game. You're just walking around in half lit rooms, trying to figure which hallway you're in, trying to move the story forward. This is something that would have definitely worked better as a short story or even a short film.

Maybe the console update will see some improvements, here's to hoping! Not the best, but not the worst either. A solid 6.
  12. Aug 20, 2014
    Unconventional is the word; its not a game but rather a display of an interactive short story. There are no game mechanics, no puzzles, nothing, just progression through unlocking sections of the house, and a beautiful story, with great music and voice acting. But it would not be fair to give it a higher score, yes its artistic, but I was expecting some kind of involvement through play, puzzles would have been nice.

I wish this level of writing could be achieved by real games, but in the meantime, you've got "Gone Home".
  13. Aug 11, 2014
    I disagree. 9 or 10 is too much. Gone home is just a good game nothing more. It feels real, but I think it still lacks many things to be that perfect.
  14. Aug 7, 2014
    This game is extremely tedious, predictable and the story, being the driving point of the game, was to basic and lacked creativity as it were to realistic and did not have any interesting twists or turns. This game definitely does not deserve the awards awarded to it but does have beautiful sounds and visuals which aid to create an eerie atmosphere. The story was revealed well (doesn't mean it has a good story). So if you like games that describe boring love lives this is for you! But otherwise don't purchase this game it is a waste of your time. I gave this game a 0 as felt only really the story mattered as it was the driving point in the game, which I would rate a 0. Expand
  15. Aug 6, 2014
    I dont know, what is going on. I played this game and when I looked for the metacritic score I thought:, well this is going to have a 4 or 3 or whatever. But 86? 86 dammit???
    I dont get this. This game is an example for a good Story and good ideas, but horrible execution. I mean, you already probably know that this game ist only an hour Long, but also the gameplay is really boring. The
    only good Thing going on, is the Story. I wont spoil anything, but it is very good. But for 15€ or $20 I dont get why this game gets that good of a score. There are more games out there worth buying for that Price. Expand
  16. Aug 3, 2014
    Biggest act of betrayal from critics ever. Giving a game perfect score or anything close to a perfect score just because it deals with gay rights is not just deceitful, dishonest and suspect but is also perverse, not for the subject matter but for the bull#&$ pc way you've handled a professional job. I can no longer rely on professional reviews to make a judgment on if I will make a game purchase,

Thankfully we have user reviews on Metacritic which I WILL be using to avoid "games" like this in the future as I would AIDS. Although even with that you need to make sure it's not corporate shills typing their one off review with a 9/10 attachment, or some delusional art student, who's only game consists of this, pacman and portal. . You're not fooling anyone guys.

Great idea, horribly delivered, the dialogue wasn't even good, the best friend subplot felt disjointed to the narrative, I mean I could go on and on and on.

The atmosphere was great if it was a horror game as the blurb would lead you to believe, but it isn't, it's just a disappointing walking simulator that does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to entice you. Thankfully the game only clocked in at an hour. First, (and hopefully last), game I will ever truly regret buying, leaving me with an awful taste, a slightly more full rubbish bin, and a lasting wish that I had some recourse for restitution i.e. a f$&**^ refund. Seriously, frak this game and all the reviewers.
  17. Aug 1, 2014
    15 minutes or less is enough to crack the mystery of the plot in this game. Remaining time is for getting a feeling of self satisfaction from each clue proving that you were right. Good job, Fullbright, if that's what you were aiming for.

Some say it's not even a video game. I disagree. It is a game, and not one of the kind. Do you remember Scratches (2006) by Nucleosys? I see a lot of
    similarities, except that Scratches 'did it right', so to speak.

You are alone in big and scary mansion, your objective is to get to know other inhabitants by digging through their things. However, in Scratches, the atmosphere is better, the story cannot be made obsolete in such ridiculously short time, and the overall setting is more interesting. You can't play with lights and grab all the garbage lying around in Scratches, but would you even want to? You can do that in other games (like Resident Evil or Skyrim).

Enough about the old, this review is about Gone Home. I give it 3 out of 10, because of it's good voice acting (+), because it made me feel very smart (+), and because it reminded me of better games (+) with same features. I DO NOT recommend this game to anyone, unless it's the only thing available.
  18. Jul 20, 2014
    ~Please note, that I have only seen a Let's Play of Gone Home, and have not actually played it~

STORY -
    Gone Home's story is nothing out of the ordinary, and consists of a girl called Katie coming home to see her parents after travelling the world. When she returns, they are missing, and she has to try and find out what happened to them. It sounds a bit like a plot from NCIS, even
    though it's a setup for something truly different, yet sadly becomes easy to predict what happened to Sam Greenbriar very early into the game. It's not particularly unique, but it portrays what it's trying to get through beautifully.

GAMEPLAY-
    Much like a lot of "Walking Simulations" (Adventure games, as we used to call them), the gameplay is extremely basic and slow-paced. It involves you finding a series on letters from your sister, as well as side-clues to help you figure out what's going on. The gameplay isn't the core focus, but it's still functional. No issues here.

GRAPHICS-
    Graphically Gone Home is quite nice. It looks fairly cartoony for the most part, and has a nice amount of detail on everything. The lighting effects are basic, but atmospheric, and it all looks very clean and well done, with a couple of badly textured areas.

VERDICT-
    Gone home isn't for everyone, but if you like Adventure games, you'll be right at home here. Don't be fooled by thinking it's a horror game (Which may have been why some were disappointed, looking through Metacritic), it's actually a very heartfelt and beautiful game, that I strongly recommend, however, I understand that this game isn't for everyone.

PROS-
    -Functional Gameplay
    -Nice graphical style
    -Great story
    -Fairly good detail
    -Voice acting is really good

CONS-
    -Overpriced
    -Some poorly textured areas
    -A little too short.
  19. Jul 11, 2014
    Gone Home is a game that attempts to be art, and in its endeavours forgets to be a game. Its interactivity is limited to moving around and looking at objects, making it nothing more than a walking simulator. In fact, Gone Home cannot be considered a video game in many respects. As a game, it is definitely not worth playing. Gone Home serves as proof that video games should not try to be art.
  20. Jul 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Plain and simple, it's an interactive story. I'm not knockin' it for that. It's just that.....
    ....that ending was absolutely ridiculous! I cracked up so hard. To summarize, the main character's little sister has a lesbian love affair, and their Ouija board tells them to run off together, and the parents are gone looking for them. That's why you come home to an empty house, lol!
  21. Jul 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. -TL;DR- Spoiler Free
    Rating: 2/10
    It is barely a game, and there are better stories out there more worthy of your time and money.
    It is about two hours long.
    -TL;DR- Spoiler Free

Actual Review
    -Objective- Spoiler Free
    In Gone Home you come home from a journey to Europe to find your family home empty. You then wander around the house picking up things trying to find those that trigger auditory journal entries from your younger sister or give clues to where other entry triggering items may be. There are also subplots about your mother and father which do not have auditory journal entries. After one to two (realtime) hours of searching the house you discover why your family is not present, the screen fades to black, music plays, and credits roll.
    -Objective- Spoiler Free

-Subjective- Spoilers
    The stories told in Gone Home are generic. They may seem unique to people who only play video games, but such stories have been told before, with superior presentation, and superior depth in other artistic mediums. The main story is focused on the player character's younger sister. PC's younger sister has a hard time making friends and gets in trouble with authority figures because of teenage angst. It is then revealed that the younger sister is a homosexual, and the rest of the story is about her romantic involvement with another teenage girl. PC's parents deny their daughter's homosexuality and ground her for a month and disallow her girlfriend being alone with her with closed doors afterwards. Naturally the younger sister dislikes this because she is unable to see her girlfriend for a month and afterwards they would not be able to have sex. Then younger sister and her girlfriend will have to break up because of reasons, but then because of feelings they decide to stay together and drive away together, which is why neither of them are at home.
    The dad is a struggling author.
    The mom works in the forest.
    They have relationship problems and head to a couples retreat, which is why neither of them are home.
    Little sister's former male friend took his SNES back after finding out she is a lesbian, leaving PC with no games at all in the house. Thanks a lot, you jerk.
    -Subjective- Spoilers
  22. Jul 6, 2014
    This game does something unique in the current gaming scene, it conveys the narrative from an almost second person perspective.
    The story the game presents and the world it builds is very well done and nuanced with a lot of it up to the players interpretation
    However the asking price for this game being 20 dollars for only two hours of content is questionable and the game may of suffered
    from some false advertising as its presented almost as a horror game
    Overall though i thoroughly enjoyed is game and i can see why this game has such a low user score as it is defiantly not a game for everyone and the asking price is a bit steep
  23. Jul 6, 2014
    This game surprised me with how brilliant it is. A great story told perfectly. I don't usually get too emotional with games, but felt the feels in the second half of this game. Awesome soundtrack and nostalgia plus for those who lived through the 90s.
  24. Jul 1, 2014
    The bad thing about reviewing this game is that the game is not very depth mechanics wise. This review is basically hindered on the fact of how well I liked the story and the few characters that are in it.

I enjoyed the story quite a bit, I did find myself really enjoying the character development and recording. It really let you into the life of you (Kaitlin) and your sister you hear
    through recordings (Sam).

The audio was pretty great. The voice acting was solid, not that this was an extremely difficult job but great nonetheless. The music was pretty solid queuing in when needed and the song at the ending makes a nice parallel to something you hear from your sister earlier on it hit home with the song at the end.

Graphics... I am not one to talk about graphics too much because I do not care about them unless they take you out of the experience the game is going for. For this game I think they are okay, nothing spectacular in the sense the textures are a little messy which take you out of the "zone" but for what it is it's okay. Period.

The length of the game is very short. Even with someone like me who read every document and what not, it only took me ~2 hours. That is good and bad... Good because the story could only really a hold a 1-3 hour length. Bad because some people have paid $10-$20 for this game and it is not worth that price at all. I picked it up today on the steam sale for $2.99. Yes it was worth that price tag and maybe a $5-7 price range but nothing more.

For those saying this shouldn't be a game, I disagree wholeheartedly. The reason being this game could not exist as is in another medium. It is far too short and lacks depth to be a book or a movie.

Overall, it is a good game, with a huge emphasis on story so don't expect anymore mechanics from a interactive story. Should you pick it up? Yes, if you enjoy JUST a story and ONLY if you can find it from a $0-5 price range. I feel very bad for the people who spent $20 on the game so I do understand where there frustrations come from.
  25. Jun 30, 2014
    This is not a game, it is an audio log with the ability to walk around. "Unravel the mystery for yourself" Your sister is a homosexual, mystery solved, and I saved you $20.
  26. Jun 28, 2014
    Beautiful story and nice references, but it fails on what is the most important in games: Being fun to play. Gone Home is boring, it could have puzzles or something to make it fun, but it doesn't.
  27. Jun 27, 2014
    I really loved this game. It was a unique and personal experience and also a kind of sentimental / retro feeling to it for me because it is set in the 90s and remembered me of my childhood a lot. Play it while you are alone at home! It was intriguing and tense for me.

I found this truly to be a masterpiece.

If you are interested in life and intellect, you will love it. If not, go and
    masturbate to your favourite Call of Duty game. Expand
  28. Jun 26, 2014
    I really wish I could take my money back. This game was completely advertised wrong. There is no suspense, no mystery, and no real compelling characters. The only reason I can imagine this game received any critical acclaim was due to the fact they picked a hot topic somewhat controversial social issue and threw it in there, forcing critics to give the game a high review lest they appear to be bigoted and out of touch with society.. There were no new mechanics, including story telling mechanics in this game. In short, the game was flat, boring, and brought nothing new or compelling to the art of video games. Expand
  29. Jun 26, 2014
    Hello there childrens, join me today for the most boring, akward, not-interesting journey about Sam, some girl with no personality whatsoever!

As first, let's get this through: this is a first person adventure, so I wasn't expecting much action or big stuff goin on since it's all based on the plot.
    But why do you even make a game like this if your plot it's usless? We'll focus more on
    this later.

The map it's surprisingly good looking, and there are lot of stuff you can interact with, and most of them will bring you back the 90s feel (such as VHS, cassette tapes etc). Most of the models looks very good, and the graphic is fine.

I don't really know what to say about the soundtrack. Sometimes it's really really good and it work well with the moment, sometimes well.. it's just silly. A sad song pops up almost out of nowhere, or you find a cassette tape with a song that will make your ear bleed and grow a mouth that will ask you to stop playing the game.

The voice acting it's good, but in the end, there is just 1 actress, the main protagonist talking. She's good, but doesen't help the story to look interesting. Also, her laugh makes me unconfortable.

And now, the main thing about the game. The story. Short, predictable and pointless. ****

You have this setting: you're Sam, a girl that it's coming back home after a while to find out that no one it's home. But why? We'll see that later on.
    You have to explore the home to find out more about your past and to what happened to everyone. Turns out you're "not attracted to men" and you had a long complicated story with your partner. A love story that for most of the time it's **** akward to listen and really made me unconfortable BUT NOT because of the sexual iterest into someone of the same gender, don't get me wrong, it was akward BECAUSE IT GET REALLY **** RIDICULOUS FOR MOST OF THE EVENTS SHE'S NARRATING. And most of this event ends up with her crying. What a surprise.
    In the end, to be honest, the story could have been interesting or a little more enjoyable if something big whould happen, like some trama plot. But nope, in the end they tear apart, they never saw each other, teh edn. Boo-hoo ending I guess. Not working at all.
    Oh and what happened to the family, why they leave the house? I dunno. Why, do you care? Should we care? I think the story it's already good without some explanation. Effin-great.

Also, this game looks easy as it can gets. There are almost no puzzles, just a bunch of combination or paper that tells you where to find hidden spots (just 2 or 3 in the whole game) and it's super short. I've beat this game in 77 minutes. And what's the best part? If you like to mess around, you could easly find the main hidden spot, get the key, go to the attic and beat the game in 3 minutes! Who designed this **** Aha!

Final rating: 2/10

You probably need to be some Tumblr feminist girl to enjoy this story. Probably even them find this game offensive.

Oh, almost forgot, this won "Best PC game" over "Paper, please" and "Stanley Parable". Good.
  30. Jun 23, 2014
    Gone Home is a fantastic game, and it's a shame that so many Metacritic users have rated it poorly just because they can't do a 360 noscope in it. It's true, Gone Home isn't a competitive game. But, it's a beautiful game nonetheless. The sense of exploration and emotion that this game gives is astounding. 10/10 don't believe anyone who says otherwise.
  31. Jun 21, 2014
    Many people dislike this game because they say it is stupid and pointless. They don't seem to understand the actual story itself in the game. It isn't for killing or to be very scary. I love it because of the story and it's simplicity. It doesn't have to be very complicated to make sense. I would not spend the full $20 on it, so wait for a sale. And when it does go on sale, buy it.
  32. Jun 17, 2014
    This game is not a game, and it is a game. But it is not a game. But it is.

You have to look at the "User Score distribution" here in Metacritic to understand why critics are praising this game. Half the users love this game, half the users hate it. I think there are different type of positive and negative reviewers posting here, and studying their love and hate IS an interesting way of
    reviewing this game for me.

Some of them are praising or hating the game because of the context of the story told, and their love/hate is conscious regarding the "topic", because they feel, wether for love or hate, the main "issue" in the story is what matters most in order to love or hate this game. In case of haters, they dont have any problem on saying things like "gone homo" and so on. In case of said lovers, they express their feelings on how much they relate to the girl´s suffering in this story because of their personal experience, other peoples love was centred on how much they felt "back in the 90´s". This people wouldnt care much about gameplay or graphics, or at least not that much.

Others are loving or (mostly) hating this game also because of same story context, but rather in a more or less UNCONSCIOUS way. They start their review talking about graphics and "sound issues" (yah, I swear I saw someone complaining about the quality of the sound in THIS game) but more or less at some point they start going VERY aggresively towards the thing that they really care about regarding the storyline. This people wont be openly hateful, but you can "feel" it in their review (wether they are trying to hide it by complaining about "graphics", or they are totally unconscious about the truly source of their dislike or like, they concentrate their fire on the "this is propaganda!" issue.

And at last we have a group of gamers who dont care about the storyline, or have mixed feelings, but they complain about the "this is no game!" issue. And they say things like "There is no plot twist!". One of them says "there is nothing wrong in the house! I thought i was about to find something but there was NOTHING!"

I have nothing to say to the first group or the second group of reviewers (the ones who consciously or unconsciously centered their review on the sexual orientation of the characters) But I WANT to say something to those who complain in the third group

This is a game that is not meant to be played again and again, if you play it thoroughly from start to finish. If you rush through the house finding the way to the end of the road, concentrating on finding "the doors" and opening them all till you see the credits rolling, you will get to what may call "the end" of this game very quickly, but you will not have "finished" the game. You didnt "play" the game.

A game like Skyrim, for example, how many people can say they have really get to "the end" of it? Yes, there is a main quest, and it takes a finite amount of hours to finish it, but to really "finish" the game, it would take months I presume. Most people probably didnt walk through ALL the possible roads of that game. But is it a matter just of "lenght" what defines the quality of an experience in front of a computer?

Is it a 2 hours movie inherently better than a short film then? just because it has "much more minutes to watch"? Couldnt we say that there are good and bad movies, and good and bad short films? Gone Home is an amazing short-game, but the thing is, as same as it happens with many short films, it doesnt appeal to every audience. You dont eat pop corn during short-films.

The word that comes to my mind when I think about this game is HONESTY. No tricks, no aliens kidnapping people, no ghosts attacking us from behind, no matter how much x-files or JFK references, we finally understand that this 90´s house was....a 90´s house. And that teens play with ouijas.

The thing is MANY people don´t like honesty in their media. They want to KNOW what they are "consuming" before getting it, even from the trailer itself, they want to know what they are up against.

This is the kind of people that RAGED against HBO at the end of the first season of Game of Thrones. Because the people running that show TRICKED them into watching something and then BETRAYED them by not doing a magic trick to save a character that was CLEARLY on the path to his own demise. Seeing any similarities?

That is why I give this game a score of 10. Because for me it should be a 7.5. But I HAVE to say 10, because I have to take part in this "clash of reviews" to fight for "the balance", against the haters in the "user score distribution" of Metacritic. Because haters have been too much vocal against this game, and it doesnt deserve so much hate. Because this game is DIFFERENT, and ironically, being hated for being different has a lot to do with this game, and I fear, with many of these reviews

I dont know winter, but the oculus rift is coming, and this "not-games!" are here to stay.
    Thankfully.
  33. Jun 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Homosexual Political Correctness must get +3 points from the "professional" critics, because this is a complete disappointment. The game designers wanted to make an eerie haunted house adventure, while the writers wanted a boring lesbian love story.

Seriously, the "big reveal" is that she's a **** Not a vampire-hunting girl team, or a pair of female detectives, they're just typical whiney lesbians. YAWN.....

This isn't 1975 anymore. Homosexuals aren't especially interesting. Discovering your character is a boring **** should not be a game's victory, and is a numbing disappointment after such care was put into haunting atmosphere by the designers.

Save your money and watch an hour of Lifetime on cable.
  34. Jun 12, 2014
    If you grew up and/or raised teenagers in the late 1980's to early 90's you will probably have a lot to relate to here. If you can relate to this story and it clicks, you will absolutely love it. I think this is the reason for so many low user review scores. This game will probably not meet expectations for anyone born later than 1985, as today's current generation may be unable to appreciate the glee of going back in time and reliving a very special period in recent history. In this "game" you are essentially playing through a short story. This story brings us back to 1995 and takes place in a single night at the Greenbriar family's new home. The game is more of a storytelling simulation than a proper game and will take most players approximately 2 hours to complete. In those couple of hours I laughed, I cried, I felt suspense and fear for the family, and especially the sister's, well-being. By the end of the story I genuinely cared about the Greenbriar's and their stories outcome. For me, more interactive objects, more storytelling details and slightly better graphics would have probably earned this title a 10/10. Expand
  35. Jun 9, 2014
    "Mildly interactive fiction" might be a more appropriate term for this software, rather than calling it a game. Honestly, I've seen Japanese visual novels with more actual gameplay than this. Even then, it's not very good at what it actually does. It has no real skill-based elements, no replay value and the narrative isn't even very interesting.

I cannot recommend this at any price,
    really. If you want a game with story, you're probably better off playing an old Sierra point-and-click adventure. At least, those are more entertaining. Expand
  36. Jun 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thanks, Fullbright... Thank you for relegating LGBT issues to being the punch-line of a terribly dreary, repetitive and rather pretentious interactive story and having the gall to charge $20 for the experience.

... End sarcasm mode.
  37. Jun 8, 2014
    First of all, this game is ONLY for who wants something more than a good story. So, if you want anything else, you won't like it, but if you are the right person for this game, you'll love it. At the beginning it could be a little slow, but when you start discovering what happened, you won't leave the pc. This game is poetic and moving, but not everyone (as you can see from the user score) can understand that. I read things like "at first i was excepting a murder and jumpscares but than it was boooooring". Well, than why did you buy it? The only reason why i don't give it 10 is the price, too much for a game like this, but if you find it in sale, just buy it. Expand
  38. Jun 8, 2014
    I went into this game expecting it to be horror. Dark, stormy night, you're home alone and no one is to be found. Once I realized it wasn't, I was like, "well, okay, it's not what I thought, but hopefully it picks up soon.". Nope. It just gets more and more boring. This is not a game. You walk and click, without having any real impact on anything. I felt like a ghost floating around the house getting more and more pissed at my dumb little sister. So you're a teen lesbian in love, that's FINE, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But you expect me to be okay with her running away with someone who is now AWOL? That is a serious damn crime. It's nice the people writing positive reviews liked the story, but this is supposed to be a game. Something you participate in, help move along. Waste of money, seriously just bad. Expand
  39. Jun 1, 2014
    A game with very little gameplay. Interaction is minimal and the length does not justify the 20 dollar price tag. The story was good but nothing deserving of a Pulitzer or any other award. If I want a good story I will always find better writing in literature.
  40. Jun 1, 2014
    I really wanted to like Gone Home. I love story games and really like the idea of using graphics based games to tell stories like this one. I gave this one points for the atmosphere and the general idea. The house is not as bad as some people are making it out to be. It's full of little bits and bobs that will make you smile if you were growing up during the time it takes place. The voice acting is fantastic. I just wish they would've used all of this to tell a better story and build a better mystery. I had the entire story figured out in the foyer of the house, I just didn't realize that what I had figured out that early was going to be ALL of the story. I'm sure it appeals to some members of a certain demographic (so starved for stories featuring realistically drawn people like them that they'll flock to even this) but, as a member of that demographic myself I found myself entirely let down by the 'big reveal' at the end. Seriously. If story is all you're going to bring to the table in a game, it needs to be good. I want that feeling I get after a good movie or book. After Gone Home, I just felt blank and disappointed. Uninstalled immediately. Expand
  41. May 25, 2014
    The reviews would have you believe this is worth your time and the price of entry - critics are meant to be critical, sadly, this game got a free pass for tackling a coming of age story with a mundane, predictable twist. Save yourself the trouble - read a book instead.
  42. May 24, 2014
    This game isn't for everyone as you can tell by the polarizing 'User score distribution'; you'll either love it or hate it.

With that being said, this is imo, what Dear Esther should have been. A story focused game that had a appropriate level of interactivity withing the world you reside in - not just walking around in a linear path.

The story itself was sweet and enjoyable and I
    found myself internally cheering for 'Sam' often while uncovering the story.

The only real critique I can give this game, outside of it just not being in the taste of most mainstream gamers, is the price of twenty dollars USD. However you want to look at it, that is a steep price for a game that should last you one and a half to two hours in playtime.

With that being said, if you really like story driven games and like to break away from the norm with your gaming It may just be worth a purchase,or in my case, play a friend's copy through Steam's Family sharing.
  43. May 23, 2014
    A little worse than Soda Drinker Pro. A little better than Baise-Moi. A lot less detailed than the girl-on-girl stuff you can find on Pornolab. All in all a revolutionary, groundbreaking experience.
  44. May 21, 2014
    Basically, you walk around a big house collecting notes that tell you your sister is gay. Should be called ''Big house full of not so subtle clues that your sister is gay simulator, also, light switches''
  45. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had to sign up for an account just to let people know to avoid this game. It was horrible. Its like reading a little girls diary. At first you think, "oh neat, a ghost game or possible murder game" but it is just a story about her sister becoming a lesbian and running away with her girlfriend. It was a waste of time and money. Avoid this game. Expand
  46. May 17, 2014
    This is a good little interactive story. The graphics are good and the single voice actor gives her character some soul. In my opinion interactive stories are a genre of gaming like RTS or RPG to first person shooters. But it is very niche. Only buy this game at under $10 because of the length per dollar you get.
  47. May 5, 2014
    After all the rave reviews praising the story, voice acting, etc, I was hoping for something special. Gone Home turned out to be a big disappointment. I'm a big supporter of the LGBT community, and I'm glad someone tried to make a story that incorporates that, but this game feels like it was hastily written to placate Anita Sarkeesian so she'll shut up for a few minutes.

I was hoping
    for some big mystery--a story that keeps you guessing what happened to your younger sister, with a big reveal at the end--but the story lacks any real depth. I figured out how the story was going to end about 10 minutes in: nothing more than the melodramatic actions of an angsty teenage girl. The quasi-creepy atmosphere was meant to instill a sense of unease and mystery (old creaky house, flickering lights, a nice thunderstorm outside), but with such a predictable story it was just silly. The ancillary family members are given almost no development and are completely irrelevant to the story, making the game horribly one-dimensional. They might as well have handed you Samantha's diary and told you to read it.

I gave the game points for a little 90's nostalgia and a few tracks from some riot-grrrl indie bands. Other than that the game is just a 90-minute Lifetime movie.
  48. May 5, 2014
    The first game since "The Cat Lady" that has hit me this hard emotionally. I personally loved it and thought it was a great little story that many of us can relate to. When we were younger, more innocent, many of us have had a love that seemed eternal. This is before we realize all the responsibilities and things that change with adulthood. As such, many cases of "young love" are tried and unfortunately do not last. I spent the entire game hoping for a happy ending, that maybe for once, love can prevail above all. Expand
  49. Apr 27, 2014
    Gone Home game - 20$ Can of lighter fluid - 15$ Metal garbage can - 25$ Watching a game that wasted 2 hours of your life burn to hell - Priceless On a side note, it did manage to create an amazing environment to lure you in. However, the praise ends there. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the game. If you did by accident, instead of playing it, have more fun by burning the game onto a CD and then lighter fuild-ing the hell out of it. Expand
  50. Apr 6, 2014
    This "game" is not actually a game, it's a very short interactive movie with lesbians. An interactive movie where you walk around and read notes for one hour. Critics wouldn't even look at Gone Home if it was a book, critics would ridicule Gone Home if it was a movie, but since it's a game and you can press "WASD" then it's suddenly a masterpiece. And that's why many people are angry, because of the hype train (a hype you might understand if you read spoilers).

"Story" is predictable and nothing happens. For most of the game you hope that there is some great mistery or something shocking, but you will receive nothing except boredom and disappointment. Expect nothing mind blowing, nothing that will touch you, disturb you, invoke any emotion or make you think. The only emotions I felt (besides boredom) is a slight feeling of nostalgia (90ies), but even that wasn't enough to keep me interested for more than 5 seconds.

There is no replay value once you know the whole story (which can be summarized in one sentence) and there are so many books that people can read more than once, even if those books are average. That's pretty much how boring the game is.

If you want a well written and enjoyable indie game/interactive movie, then you should try The Stanley Parable, an well written interactive movie-game that makes you think about....everything. Gone Home numbs your brain.

If you want to see an example of a well written love story, then you should watch V ffor Vendetta movie and wait for scenes that could have been done with minimal budget, but are a masterpiece. One of the main character is reading notes written on a toilet paper and it's too bad that I cannot reveal more without posting spoilers, but these short scenes are better written than entire Gone HOme.

Read, watch or play anything else. Don't waste your money on Gone Home
  51. Apr 3, 2014
    I decided to give this game a shot because of the polarized reviews it received, Gone Home has universal critical acclaim but is the subject of much scorn from the gaming community.
    In Gone Home you are cast as Samantha, who has just arrived home from an overseas trip.
    Gameplay consists of walking around and hunting for objects in the environment, occasionally one of these objects will
    trigger an audio clip read from a diary. The rest of the story is told through text (letters, invoices ect) and left up to the player to slowly decipher.
    There is a decent amount of detail in the house, almost every draw and cupboard is usable and more often than not filled with something to read or a piece of 90's nostalgia, if you didn't grow up in that era then most of the references will be lost on you.
    I approached Gone Home with an open mind to give it a fair go, with the intention of playing it through thoroughly, but that experience was cut short when I accidentally stumbled across the endgame state, before uncovering the whole picture. Even after reading everything I came across, I couldn't form much of an interesting story, or any explanation for why the house was empty. Then the thing just ended.

I'm sure your first reaction is "you played it wrong" but I don't feel that's fair. I was punished for exploring an area of the game intently, something that should be met with reward. This is just bad game design at fault; a combination of items should be necessary to achieve the endgame state to avoid reaching it prematurely.

I don't know if a could have enjoyed gone home if things went differently, I'm a huge fan of old school adventure games and not one to rate anything lower for focusing mainly on story, but for me, this wasn't much of anything.

I give Gone Home two stars for trying something different, but overall its an overrated piece of crap.
  52. Mar 24, 2014
    I came into Gone Home with no real expectations, i had read a few things about how its not a game and it just crap. I remembered playing through Dear Esther, another "non game" as people like to call it, and hated it. Yes it was pretty but so boring.

Gone Home is a totally different kind of "non game", it has a great story, amazing atmosphere and tricks you into thinking its a horror
    game with the big mansion and the constant thunder. I think you have to come into Gone Home with a open mind, or else you will be disappointing. Do it a late night, headphones on with sound cranked up, in the dark and i think you will have a amazing time.

The Fullbright Company has crafted a truly amazing game, amazingly detailed, engaging story and a setting that you want to explore even though its a normal house. The work they have put into just the items and clues are masterful. I am not going to talk any about the story because i think you should discover that on your own.

My reason for not giving it a perfect 10 is the price is even though it is a great game in my eyes, i think the original $20 is a bit steep. Realistically you have a 70-90 min experience which is $3.5 - $4.5 pr min.
  53. Mar 14, 2014
    Gone Home is original, and magical. You are the eldest daughter of a family with problems and secrets. The family has recently inherited a big mansion in the Pacific Northwest, and you arrive home after a year travelling through Europe to find the house empty. Where is everyone? What happened to your mother, father, and sister? The house is fun to explore, and the music and sound effects are top-notch. The endless rainstorm outside the house just adds to the creepiness.

This game was successful because I felt I WAS the daughter coming home. I wanted to know what happened to my sister. I wanted to explore this old house, and got the thrill of discovery as I opened drawers and desks to find clues and notes as to what happened while I was away. I was worried, I was uneasy, I was scared. Just like in real life, the scariest things are not zombies or running out of ammo. It's the worries we have for the health and safety of our families and friends.

The end of the game was a little disjointed for me though, so I award this game an 8. I ended up finishing the game by seeming mistake, clicking on things before (I suppose) I was meant to. It ended rather abruptly and pulled me out of the magic, which is a shame since I fully enjoyed the one hour to 1.5 hour journey I had in getting there.
  54. Mar 13, 2014
    I walked in expecting a psychological horror and what I got was a 3-hour lesbian love story. I'm pro-gay rights, but this was advertised as a horror game. The highlight of the game was steggy.
  55. Mar 12, 2014
    Good game but definitely NOT worth 20 dollars. hour and a half worth of playtime at most so get it on sale or free even. Fairly interesting story but kind of a let down at the end, it will leave you wanting more. All in all: worth the experience but I'd never play it again.
  56. Mar 12, 2014
    It may have taken me a long time to get around to finishing Gone Home but damn am I glad I did. I cannot recommend this game enough (If you can call it a game). The story is immerse and very powerful, the sense of everything clicking into place and revealing the truth as you explore the expansive house is the driving force. While the story may become predictable towards the end it's still gripping and beautiful, the voice acting is haunting yet warm at the same time and the ambient sounds of the storm outside caught me off guard more than once, the beautiful story works well in contrast to the creepy and empty feel of the environment. Gone home is proof that a different idea will work in the gaming world and is a strong shout from the indie scene. While there may be limited replay value I would strongly suggest you should play through it at least once. Expand
  57. Mar 11, 2014
    Over all was interesting. I like how the story of it unraveled. Seemed to have just enough clues to help solve what ever simple puzzle was going on, and, or on where to go next.
    It really kept me glued to it most of the time for the few hours it took to play/walk the game.

I think they are on to something here, but in the end I was a bit cheated and disappointed.
    I was starting to
    feel let down when it was obvious where the story was headed. What was the main story I thought was just a side story.

Either at one time, or, it's just to throw you off, you play because you hope there is something supernatural in the house. For a while I suspected that maybe I would find "Sam" hanging to death in
    some secret passage.

Instead I am forced to hear some homosexuality story. Not that I have some hatred towards homosexuals, but then at the same time I don't really need to know all the details of it.
    I don't really care if you want to have sex with animals or inanimate objects, etc., for the most part I'd be like okay, yea, please don't tell me about it, I'm not asking.
    But like a lot of homosexuality in the media, etc., as in this game you are forced to know about it, and it ends up being the story.

I don't like all the "haha you thought you would see ghosts, or something (interesting)". Yea I'd rather see those things then rather have it all be about homosexuality.

I don't see how people gave this the "game of the year" last year.
    Other then like Hollywood it seems obligatory for like minded people to give such subject matter high praises. Like it was no big surprise that "brokeback mtn" got so many Oscars et al.

Okay, just over hyped and shallow in the end.
  58. Mar 10, 2014
    Nice graphics and attention to detail but ridiculously short. No way was is worth 20 dollars. If it was longer it would have been a great game. Compare it to similar old games like Titanic, story out of time, which is now years old and played on machines with a fraction of the capability of modern machines, this is a poor attempt. Unless you have money to burn, don't bother.
  59. JRC
    Mar 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh splendid, I pay 20 dollars to play an one hour gameplay time, with the easiest puzzles ever and with a terrible story. Ok, it's an indie game, I give lots of support for indie developers, but really, 20 dollars. The gameplay, it's boring and have nothing out of the ordinary, it's just you all the time collecting papers that reveal the story, and worst, there is no obstacle, nothing that prevent you from achieving to the end of the game. And the ending is just stupid, you play it all just to know that your sister is a lesbian, wow. Expand
  60. Mar 2, 2014
    Gone Home has everything that's great about video games. You're dropped into this certain situation given absolutely no instruction as to what you're supposed to do, and you explore. You come home from college to see that everyone is gone, and given the setting of the 90's where there is lots of physical media, you find clues around the house to try to piece together where everyone has gone. Anyone who tells you this game has no gameplay has no idea what they're talking about. The very nature of the exploration of this game has elemets from the puzzle genre. The atmosphere is great, the exploration is interesting and it's all packed into 1.5-2 hours, making it a short and sweet experience. Expand
  61. Mar 1, 2014
    Gone Home is more of an experience than a game. Much like titles such as The Stanley Parable & Dear Esther, there is no real gameplay as such, but instead you are a participant in an interactive story.
    You play as Katie, a young woman who has just retuned home after a year long trip to Europe. When she arrives in the middle of a thunderstorm she finds her family's home both extremely
    untidy & empty. As you explore the house you find notes left by your younger sister Sam, explaining what she has done in your absence, as the seemingly unconnected notes begin to link together following a story of growing up as a teenager that nobody seems to care for or understand, you are left with one question. What is in the attic?
    Gone Home first appears to be a horror game, however you will never encounter any enemies, nor should you be scared. However due to the ominous mystery of what is lurking at the top of the house and the excellent atmosphere being alone in a big house in the middle of a storm, you will regularly feel uncomfortable.
    Exploring themes such as bullying, homosexuality, the paranormal and domestic family life, Gone Home is a story we can all relate to in some way and despite being one of the less gameplay intensive items on the market, it is something that is worthy of your time.
  62. Mar 1, 2014
    How well do you really know the people closest to you? When Kaitlin Greenbriar returns home from a gap year in Europe to find her entire family gone, it’s up to her to uncover the secrets that didn’t make it into those long-distance letters.

Picking up the threads of her family’s lives, the player must explore the colossal house they have since moved into, examining letters, newspaper
    clippings and, if one so chooses, the hundred thousand other details that make up a life. If it’s the people, and not the house, that make a home, then this game shows how each individual has inhabited every room with their cares, uncertainties and basic humanity.

From hastily scrawled notes passed between friends during class, to adult magazines buried under work documents, Gone Home is teeming with meticulously authentic details of family life that the player is at liberty to snoop through, turning each find over to yield further hidden notes or features.

Read the full review at: http://inkysquiggles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/gone-home-review-house-is-not-home.html
  63. Feb 17, 2014
    You need to be willing to step away from the thinking that good games require violence (e.g. guns, zombies) or a supernatural plot to be compelling. I would recommend that players be at least in their teens because of the subject matter. (I cringed when my eight-year-old nephew uncovered some of the narrator's very personal letters.)

Good story-telling is my #1 requirement for me to
    stay engaged with a game. Gone Home accomplishes that. It's game in that you have to work out the plot-as-a-puzzle via an exploration vehicle, and the area of exploration is her parents' house. You see, Kaitlin has just returned from an overseas trip, and her family is mysteriously missing... Expand
  64. Feb 17, 2014
    This is a game that probably won't feel like a game for most. The voice acting was great and the story itself is one that I've never encountered in another game. While it was quite short (I beat the game with 101 minutes played on steam), it managed to have a few points where I wish there would have been less walking or backtracking, but this is really a minor complaint. The writing pulls you in with several side stories, some of which you have to infer their meaning on your own. Even the main story may require some interpretation. I'll just say that everything isn't directly given to you, story-wise, if you don't pay attention to detail.

The game play consists of traveling through the house and examining letters and other items. These things trigger audio messages of the player's sister and each one builds upon the last. By the end, I felt a series of emotions and had a few questions that the game just won't directly answer. But now I'm thinking about it and looking for other people's opinions. If a story having that kind of effect on someone doesn't make it a good story, then I don't know what does.

That being said, there was probably ways that this could have been wrapped up tighter to my liking, but I'm sure that's not what the creators were going for anyway. All in all, it was a good use of 101 minutes.
  65. Feb 16, 2014
    There will be a lot of people that complain that there isn't much to this game, it's just a 1st person, interactive story and that is where it, like Beyond: Two Souls, beats a lot of games and divides a lot opinions, it's story is so deep and compelling it doesn't need to do anything but be told, it is so simplistic that it is almost perfect there are no enemies to defeat, no puzzles to solve you just play through and discover the story is an incredibly emotional and real you can't help but to become near obsessed with putting all the little pieces together to figure out the stories behind the characters Expand
  66. Feb 16, 2014
    Boring, short, and uncreative. This game has nothing to offer as a game; and it is hardly passable as a interactive story. Save your money guys, buy yourself something you'll actually enjoy.
  67. Feb 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cant believe the thoughts of the negative scores of this game. You should be all ashamed of yourself to criticizes a girl being different as a child and growing up finding herself. The game is really well made even if it was like 3 hours its the experience that got to me. Expand
  68. Feb 14, 2014
    "What is so great about it? Why'd you give it a 10, AVODESKORM."

Believe me, I wasn't approaching this with an open mind. With websites such as Destructoid praising this game. I wasn't impressed with all the good words people had to say about it. Hell even on a article previewing the game I commented that this game looks like absolute crap, if what I'm doing is just looking around at
    least give me graphics that impress the hell out of me.

How different do I feel now! This is a great-ass game, and I stand by it as one of the greatest games to come out in recent years. Spouting expostition is one thing that many games have too much up their asses. This game is going mostly show don't tell.

Remember when you were a child and you didn't know what was lurking around the next dark corner. I do. And this game brought back that feeling. And when all everything is lit and every door is wide open. You are no longer confused. I found myself intrigued all the way through and I think I might revisit this little adventure at a later date.

Probably the one of the best things to come out of gaming for years. All that is out today is EARLY ACCESS TRASH and your GTA'S. So when you have your decision to spend your money on the next DLC that's coming out. Skip it and Buy Gone Home. (Your games are probably all trash compared to this game anyways.)
  69. Feb 14, 2014
    Over rated game that has a surprisingly boring plot.

The only reason this even got decent scores from other ratings is because of political correct yuppies that think one relationship in the game should deserve it a 10/10 score.
  70. Feb 13, 2014
    This was amazing. It's a prime example of the evolution of games into art. It's a really simple, and personally story told through the exploration of your character's home. I loved it, glad I bought it, glad I played it.
  71. Feb 10, 2014
    There are a lot of negative reviews suggesting Gone Home would do better in another medium, but it's definitely where it belongs. It's a fairly straight-forward interactive short story and while it has its limitations, it is the sort of game that needs to exist. It's easy to say the story is predictable but most are in the medium. It's a game for people who think games can be more than they are artistically.

I'd recommend it for anyone with a soul.
  72. Feb 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game i pure crap, sorry is only crap without a game. Nowadays web hype lets sell very well also the pure crap. The story is ridiculous, thunders and bolts and a raining night are there only to allude something is wrong. Yes everything is wrong this "game" or better this interactive romance is boring, and short. Where the **** is the good story? Knowing your sister is lesbian and go away with her gf the day you come back at home after years from Europe? Is this a good ****ing story? If you like to read old book covers, tickets and 3 pages max notes with boring stuff this is your game.

I hope people saying this is a good game are paid from the producer of this game otherwise they are totally dumb.
  73. Feb 5, 2014
    This game is something else, than the mainstream out there. Its game mechanics are minimalistic. You 'just' search the house for clues what happened to your family, nothing more.
    Its emotional story telling is great. As with every emotional story you have to be in the mood for the experience. The story captured me like few games before. I wanted to know what happened at first. But as I
    got more information, I also got a bad feeling about the possible endings.
    In the end this 'game' entertained me more than 'you regular shooter'. Its something special. Don't expect the game of the year. Don't play it just because of the high score. Do it because you want a slow, tense, atmospheric, frightening, funny and emotional story about the difficult life as a teenager.
  74. Feb 4, 2014
    I debated about buying this game for months because of the wide disparity in reviews, which was ultimately why I ended up buying it; why was there so much disagreement I wondered? Now having spent the last few days with it I understand. You will either love it, or hate it, period.

I loved it, in fact I was quite haunted by it and have re-visited the home dozens of times since
    finishing it (yes it is a very quick play, about 2-3 hours). Had I learned everything there was to learn about the family? Had I found every clue? Discovered every Easter egg? (No spoiler alerts here but there are a few excellent ones!) I needed to be certain and so I have returned, over and over again, to what has become so familiar to me that I have to keep reminding myself the characters don’t actually exist; yet in my mind they seem so real. I’m sure I know them, the house as familiar as the one I grew up in...

Take a chance, if you love it the game will stay with you long after you are done playing it; if you hate it, hey it’s only twenty bucks.
  75. Feb 3, 2014
    Probably the best "non-game" I've played yet with a comprehensible plot, fitting music and decent graphics. Just make sure you don't go in expecting any puzzles as this is another of those games where discovering the narrative is the sole focus.
  76. Feb 3, 2014
    Terrific experience and quite memorable. Holds your attention by keeping what happens next uncertain and since you care about the characters this holds the tension, espacially towards the end. Probably is a new genre, not quite a game and yet is a game, an interactive story where you do not determine the outcome... we need a new category. The great voice acting and emotional honesty bump up the score for me. Expand
  77. Feb 1, 2014
    I finished the game in 2.5 hours and was really disappointed. The storyline kept you interested the whole time, and the 90s memorabilia lying around the house was fun, but that was about it. Other than that it was simply entering rooms, switching on lights, and listening to emotional voiceovers that walked you through a story worthy of Dawson's Creek. Really too bad because with a better story the medium would have made for a simply AWESOME game. This way: meh. Expand
  78. Jan 30, 2014
    A complete waste of an hour and a half of my half. The only reason people would give this game a 10 (or even anything over a 1) is because of the lesbian storyline. There's no reason to rate a game based solely on the storyline. Despite the graphics being TERRIBLE the game was horribly lagging (and my system can play newer games fine). There was also no real gameplay. To just wander a house reading memos and listening to voice-overs. There is no mystery to solve (well, I guess there is a mystery about the parents, but you never solve it). Everything is laid out for you in memos. There's no skill required at all. It makes this thing (I can't bring myself to call it a game), mind numbingly boring. On behalf of Oregonians everywhere I apologize to anyone who wasted their $20 on this mess. Seriously, don't buy this. Don't even waste your bandwidth downloading a pirated copy. It isn't worth it. Learn from my (and many others) mistakes. Avoid at all cost. Want a coming-of-age gay story, pick up a book. Want a fun game, play anything but this. Expand
  79. Jan 30, 2014
    You either love it or hate it . For me , the game contains a beautiful story ... the price is unreasonable though ... just buy it on sale , like i did . Its about 45 minutes long , and you explore a house uncovering the life of your smaller sister ... Just this...and its sooo beautiful... .
  80. Jan 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What an amazing game! This game has me at 50/50. On one hand, I was relieved that it wasn't a typical scare-in-your-face kind of game with cheap scare tactics or ghosts or anything. The game keeps you guessing whether it's a horror or not, but as you play more and more you get the feeling it doesn't take itself seriously and isn't forcing you to fear anything, it's simply what it is. An empty house with many nooks and crannies to explore at your own pace. There is no amount of time you have to do anything, the game even gives you an option to start with all lights on, or all doors unlocked so you can just wander around and explore at your own leisure. However I would highly recommend your first playthrough with the default settings to feel the game as the designers intended. I was a little disappointed that the end came so quickly without any aftermath/alternate scenes/endings. I was hoping for at least a stats sheet at the end showing amount of time played, room most visited, combinations not yet found etc but understandable seeing as it is an indie game :) Really refreshing game however if you just in the mood to spend a couple of hours discovering the unknown at your own pace without the stress of other horrors like Amnesia etc. Expand
  81. Jan 29, 2014
    A poorly written story that received undeserved positive praise because of its themes. Just because something tackles difficult issues in society does not automatically make it a good literary work or video game. The critic reviews reflect very poorly on the current state of video game journalism.
  82. Jan 29, 2014
    If you've never read a book before, then you'll probably be amazed at the depth of storytelling in this first-person house snooping simulator as you spend two hours listening to a teenage girl whine about how hard life is.
  83. Jan 28, 2014
    There are many games in our time that are story-driven and offer perfect emotional journeys and payoffs. Take The Walking Dead, The Last Of Us, Bioshock Infinite. Those games have something in common, besides being fricking awesome: They have pitch-perfect narration, and Gone Home does not only has some of the best pacing in video games, but is a completely revolutionary tool to tell a story.
    Never thought I would play this game, as I thought it was a horror game. But the praise started coming and I said to myself "This must be a very good horror game, in fact, one of the best of this generation" and I had to play it as I am totally hooked when reviewers said "The Story is absolutely amazing".
    So I went into Gone Home, half-scared, half-having-high-expectations. The result was surprising. This is not a horror game, in fact, it is barely a video game. You arrive at your house and find it alone, with your family missing. You start collecting cards, audio logs and diaries to get to know what happened.
    You probably expect everything to be video game clichés: Someone died probably, and everything gone to hell, and you will find a body, blah blah blah. But Gone Home's story isn't a Video Game Story. It's a human story, something completely normal, familiar and devastating. The Love for a family or for our lover. Once you discover the secret behind the disappearance of your family, you will not be astonishingly shocked Bioshock-style, but begin to think how what happened was what had to happened. Don't want to get into spoilers, but let's say there is barely a "twist" here. It's just a family story, from beginning to end.
    The 2 hour campaign finishes, and the game is immediately a decoration. A book. You can read it again, although it will never be as good as the first time. Gone Home is meant to be played once, stress-free and with little knowledge as possible. It is one of the most interesting games of this generation.
  84. Jan 26, 2014
    I think that this game is an important step in the right direction, but in all fairness it is too expensive for what is offered. I have never felt this warm and intrigued by a game space. Exploring the house feels like an experience I had when I was younger, walking around the house that my family just moved into. A game has never really been able to draw me in like that before. I would love to see another game where you simply explore a space, but I feel like that space needs to be bigger if you are going to charge $20. If this game was $5, I would easily give it a 10 out of 10. I also found the story to be, while engaging, slightly underwhelming. I liked it but you feel like you are getting baited into something (with the Oscar subplot) only to be let down lightly at the end. I had an unforgettable experience exploring the house but it needs more content for the current price to be justified. Expand
  85. Jan 26, 2014
    Ok graphics. Almost spooky. interesting. Open another drawer. Storyline shock. Offended. Bored. Still Bored. Offended Again. To Plot, or not to Plot..., Wait, that's the end? No, really that's it? Check for passing time... 2.5 hrs. Should have went bowling.
  86. Jan 23, 2014
    This is the worst attempt of a game I have ever played in 25+ years of gaming. Critics want to give the creators a medal for the agenda in this game which is homosexuality, like these game developers discovered it exists or something. It is nothing close to a game, it contributes nothing new to any genre and most importantly, it is not worth the value for your hard earned money. Stay away at all costs, or wait until it costs 99 cents. What a forgettable and pretentious experience. Expand
  87. Jan 22, 2014
    An OK but not great story with an OK but not great game mechanic. Those two things combine for a game that is rather bland. It gets some points for dealing with subject matter that isn't usually covered in video games but that's not enough to make it a good game.
  88. Jan 18, 2014
    Gone Home is an absolute masterpiece. Mix excellent atmosphere with an engrossing story and intuitive gameplay, and that is Gone Home. You play as Kaitlin, a girl who just arrived home from traveling abroad. Instead of coming home to see her sister and parents, she finds the house inexplicably empty. You proceed to spend the next two hours or so digging around the house to figure out what's going on. Along the way you get to hear audio diaries by your sister, Sam. These are the main structure of the story in Gone Home and by far my favorite element. The voice acting is superb, the music is beautiful and Sam's story had me in tears by the end of the game.

The gameplay in Gone Home is very simple. There is no combat. There are no interactions with other people, and hell, you can't even jump in this game. However, this makes for a very compelling game. There are many people who say the gameplay is too basic for Gone Home to be a game, and that this story is better suited for a short film. I don't think those people could be any more wrong. Playing the game and exploring on your own makes it so that you see what you want to see, and you learn what you want to learn about the story. You feel as if you are finding out what happens as opposed to someone telling you what happens.

All in all, Gone Home was a fantastic example of an indie game. I've never spent $20 in a better way than buying this game. If you love good, simple stories and want to be enveloped in a game for two hours or so, I highly recommend that you buy this game.
  89. Jan 17, 2014
    Most overrated and overhyped game of the year. Literally it doesn't deserve so high scores. The plot is not intereresting at all, after playing 30 minutes through - you already know the story. And the ending is just boring.
  90. Jan 15, 2014
    Gone Home is among the pioneers of the story exploration game genre. Story exploration games focus gameplay on a story as opposed to other game mechanics such as puzzles. Gone Home is set in 1995, the player character is a girl named Katie Greenbrair who returns home to an old mansion her family inherited from her uncle while she spent a year abroad. It quickly becomes evident that the house is vacant. It is the player’s mission to rummage through miscellaneous artifacts littered throughout the mysterious house to piece together hints to discover the whereabouts of the rest of the Greenbrair family. The artifacts found around the house expose three major plot lines, which revolve around Terrence, Katie’s father, Janice, Katie’s mother and Sam, Katie’s younger sister.

The high points of the game are the visual realism of the house and the game’s sound effects. The well-designed rooms around the house containing various artifacts create a lived-in atmosphere. For example the kitchen is realistically disorganized and Sam’s bedroom feels like the bedroom of an angsty teenager. Not only are the rooms realistic, the artifacts within them are equally real. These artifacts include a variety of detailed notes, full length short stories, telephone messages, documents and diary entries. The voice acting and writing done for these artifacts has such attention to detail that it feels like you are actually reading a note written by a 17 year old girl or hearing about her private feelings in her diary. The ambient sounds of the game, such as the soothing yet chilling sound of a thunderstorm, along with the eerie sound of the house creaking accents the mysterious tone of exploring the so called haunted house. Furthermore the variety of Riot Grrrl hits (played by putting found cassettes into tape players) shows Sam’s “stick it to the man” attitude. For example in Sam’s room there is a cassette with the song “Cool Schmool” by Bratmobile which speaks to Sam’s situation with lyrics such as, “I don't wanna hear how many friends you have cause I don't have any.” These lyrics speak directly to Sam’s situation when she first moved into the house as she was having trouble making friends.

The negative aspects of the game are the price of the game, the game’s controls and repeated artifacts. Although exposing the game’s story line is rewarding, at a cost of $20 for 2-3 hours of gameplay is not great value as there are numerous other games you could get much more playtime out of for the same price. Secondly not being able to run in the game although not necessary was an inconvenience while trying to search for a specific artifact or travel across the house. Lastly there were many artifacts that were repeated throughout many rooms such as the same tissue box, the second edition of Terrence’s novel and inoperable three ring binders scattered around the house.

Having not remembered the 90’s due to my age I was not able to experience the nostalgia from the 90’s culture references. For this reason I would recommend this game to anyone who lived through the 90’s, as I do not believe it is worth the $20 for 2-3 hours of gameplay if you cannot fully relate to the culture of the atmosphere.
  91. Jan 15, 2014
    Gone Home is more then just a video game, it is more then a story, it is a revolutionary experience that has transformed the video game world. For each person, Gone Home is different. Taking the role of Kaitlyn Greenbriar, you arrive at your house in 1995 after being abroad for one year. Expecting a warm welcome by your family, you arrive to a deserted house, filled with mystery and secrets that contain the answers for the unknown. Unaware of what has occurred over the last year, Gone Home is a game that is filled with exploration mystery and discovery. You roam the house in search of answers, looking at artifact after artifact, piecing up the puzzle that is your own family.

Gone Home is a game that dominates in every category. It follows a great and incorporative story and the graphics, sound and gameplay all excel the overall game. Personally, I believe that the sound in the game immensely enhances the gameplay. The sound creates the tone and mood of the game. It generates a gloomy, nightmarish, tense and desolate sense to the game, which greatly adds to the plot. Furthermore, the use of the Riot Grrrl music scene also enhances the gameplay. The Riot Grrrl scene is parallel to Samantha Greenbriar. Samantha is a troubled girl who struggles with the decisions of teenage life. The Riot Grrrl movement is her escape, her answer to all of her problems: sexuality, woman’s rights, abuse, etc. Although the Game is rather a free roam, it follows the plot of Samantha’s journal entries, scattered around the house.

The gameplay is rather fluid and keeps you on the edge of your seat. It keeps you constantly engaged, in search of artifacts and clues. The game allows you to do whatever you desire. It is free for your exploration. The reason why I believe this game is so unique is because it simulates literature. There are many games on the market that keep you active through action and adventure, but this game keeps you active through mystery. Throughout the entirety of this game, you discover secrets about the Greenbriar family. What you do not notice however, is that you actually never encounter any family members at all. It is a piece of literature that takes the viewer and allows him to unravel the story.

I give this game a 10. It kept me intrigued, it made me think, it made me laugh, it accomplished everything that I expect to take away from a game, and it did it to a outstanding level. I recommend this game whole heartily, as it is a revolutionary game.
  92. Jan 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm usually VERY forgiving and interested in new game experiences. Reviews mention two key points: the interesting story, and the "freakiness" of exploring the house.

First, the story. Over half of the things you'll find or read are totally extraneous and do nothing to further any sort of interesting plot (or sub-plot). I don't want to spoil anything in case you get this on sale (DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE), but the story is a massive letdown with each plot thread that it opens up.

As for the the empty house situation, it could have been extremely freaky. Instead, they throw in some really obtuse references to some of the "creepy" things that happened and give you just the SLIGHTEST glimpse of problems in the house. A few diaries from the mom, or perhaps some really depressed letters from the dad would have made the experience A LOT freakier. I'd constantly have been worried that someone had gone nuts and done something horrible around the next corner.

I can not believe this game got so many 8s, 9s, and 10s. Had the story of any of these characters been told in a traditional format (movie, book, even someone speaking over a campfire) you would be bored to tears.

P.S. The contents of those locked containers were so bland. If I'm hunting for secrets, you better make it worth it.
  93. Jan 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. $20 for a boring 1 hour game with a bad story....great. No idea why it's being showered with the critical praise it's been getting.
    The story is sub-par, the game is technically/graphically average, and it doesn't really bring anything "revolutionary" to gaming (we've been discovering stories by finding clues for a long time now...)

The entirety of Gone Home's "gameplay" consists of walking around a house and looking at/ touching objects...seriously...that's the entire "game", no puzzles, nothing. Don't waste your time with this poor excuse for a "game".

Again, I don't get why it is getting showered with praise unless it's some sort of industry-wide prank by the "professional critics" who, apparently, are so out of touch with gamers that they are giving this trash near perfect/GOTY scores while the majority of users are giving it near 0 scores... Is it the subject matter of a lesbian girl? I mean, who cares?? That doesn't make the story any better because the teenage sister is a lesbian and it doesn't improve the bare bones graphics and lack of gameplay!!! So what if people are gay??? Does it really matter that much? If so, why?
  94. Jan 14, 2014
    I bought this game and bought into the hype that surrounded it. And it was sorely disappointing. It has great atmosphere, but it doesn't do anything with it. No twists, and what little build up there is comes to a very poor payoff. If you want to get an atmosphere of a home, go save yourself 20$ and go around your own house and pick up random objects for 2 hours. You won't be missing much.
  95. Jan 14, 2014
    A clear cut 10, and here's why:

I approached the game knowing nothing of it, aside that it had gotten good reviews from critics I respect. If anything that makes it harder for a game to fly by well for me. Well the moment the game started I was mostly curious to see where it would lead. I'd try go through every bit of content for clues...

The sound effects in this game makes out
    atleast 40% of why it scores so well with me, its a frightening lonesome experience at first, but as you grow used to your enviroment you are more at home.

The fact that the game never gives you your goal, but the fact that it lets you realize yourself as the game progresses makes it so much more believable in the kind of story-setting it provides.

I think the story in itself in this matter is irrellevant, it could just as easily have been a story about something completely different, but presented in a similar matter the game would still have been as good.

As a challenge to the production company, I'd like to see the complete opposite of this story for their next game.
  96. Jan 14, 2014
    Is it possible to be very excited and disappointed about a game at the same time? I guess it is.
    "Gone home" is a refreshing approach to storytelling, leaves you on your own in the game, lets you explore your character's an her family's recent past at you own pace. The story is driven forward by searching for clues in the new family home, reading documents, notes, letters. And there are
    plenty items to examine. The setting includes numerous hints to the 90's pop culture that are a delight to discover.

The good: The game touched me in a way that usually only books or sometimes movies can. This is one of the biggest compliments I can give to storytelling for a video game so far. Many games are astonishing , fun and exciting but rarely the story of a games gets really through to me. This one did! The coming of age background is fun and dramatic, and even if the pace is your own, the story took me on an emotional roller-coaster ride at one point even worrying about another character.

The bad: Unfortunately the setting of the house does not fit. It is simply implausible and unbelievable that a house looks the way it does, regarding the characters described in the game. Some clues that you find, seem to be placed on the spots because of the timing of the story, because the time-line needs you to find them in that particular order. To me the look of the house does not fit the personalities involved which is a major turn-down. This might be a cultural thing related, architecture and mid-class social behaviour being different on different continents, but nevertheless I didn't buy it.

The ugly: The point that disappointed me the most is the fact that the game only uses a fifth of it's potential. Exploring the house, means exploring the life of your family and in this setting the history of the house. I do understand that the focus had to be put on one characters story, but in the end there are too many open ends. Too many questions remain unanswered. There is so much more I wanted to know about characters and my own characters past after finishing the game. It would be ok in a chapter based game with more DLC.

And for the price of 20€ I expected more depth and content.
  97. Jan 12, 2014
    It tells a story and it tells it good.
    Reminded me a lot of the early 00's pc games.
    It's not a game for the xxx420noscope_progaimur1337 kind of gamer.
  98. Jan 9, 2014
    I have never reviewed a game before but this has been such a refreshing and awesome experience that I wanted to share my thoughts on this game. It is amazing and deep! Finally something different and truly engaging. Usually I find games of this type boring but not this one! I played it to the end in one setting. So very need and cool! Thanks Fullbright Company.
  99. Jan 7, 2014
    Joeberto's Short Review -

If you want to watch a movie then rent a Dvd.

Game's interaction very low.

Duration of the entire game, 1 hour (a movie is longer).

Graphic [mid-low].

Don't buy it.
  100. Jan 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I completely don't get those positive reviews. They may show how low level of narrative is satisfying game critics. I don't treat this as a game, it's not. It's sort of a virtual novel. But novel written by 19 years old ambitious but mediocre student. Nobody would print a book with story like this. And movie would be booed for sure. I don't get that special pregnant-women-like treatment.
    Why game critics need so little to get excited? Look at critics score (around 85) and gamers (50).
    It says a lot about standards.
    Going back to the game itself.
    Retro environment is ok. Especially for hipsters but it's fun to see vhs with x-files on it. Misleading side stories are ok, they give something to keep You going to that completely predictable and infantile ending. She is a lesbian? Really?! Whoa! Sixth sense all over again.
    And...? Story should start here.
    Two points for expanding virtual novels world. But it's still like Harlequin in world of literature.
  101. Aug 17, 2013
    Walkin' around a house, lookin' at scraps of papers. Openin' drawers, turnin' lights on, the end. Not quite my cup of tea for a video game. Sure, it's an interesting way to deliver a story, but that's all it is, I didn't find it to be the masterpiece the critic's seem to be praising, perhaps they're just far too jaded by conventional games.

I found the story itself and ending really
    underwhelming considering that was the focal point of the game; it just felt like a playable, albeit forgettable and predictable, Lifetime movie. So I just can't get on board this hype train. By the end of it, I felt like having no gameplay was more a gimmick than anything else. What happens when more "games" likes this with similarly decent stories come out? Are we still praising it with perfect 10's? It's different, I get it, but that doesn't make it a good game. Collapse

1. Jan 5, 2014
    A beautiful, emotionally engaging, artfully crafted game, completely centered around exploration and telling a mature story through interaction.
  2. Dec 2, 2013
    A story that will move some and alienate others.
  3. Nov 10, 2013
    Gone home is a beautiful story told with talent. The total immersion and storytelling brings a sense of renewal in the world of video games. Unfortunately, lifespan is too short: 2 hours are enough to see the end.