• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
7.1

1. Jun 19, 2012
    The largely negative reviews that this game received upon its release, were largely justifiable at the time due to the bug ridden train wreck of an unfinished game which Jowood decided to release. First thing to make clear, is the game which I am awarding a 9/10 for, is not the game as it was released back in 2006, but the game as it is now thanks to the Community Patch 1.75 and theThe largely negative reviews that this game received upon its release, were largely justifiable at the time due to the bug ridden train wreck of an unfinished game which Jowood decided to release. First thing to make clear, is the game which I am awarding a 9/10 for, is not the game as it was released back in 2006, but the game as it is now thanks to the Community Patch 1.75 and the Community Mod Pack 2.4. Gothic 3, running smooth as silk on a decent 2012 gaming PC, more or less bug free, with overhauled combat mechanics, is nothing less than a stunning work of electronic art. This blows every other single player RPG right out of the water bar none. Although the graphics may not be as advanced as the graphics in more recent titles such as Skyrim, the world of Gothic 3 is somehow much more appealing to the eye than that of Skyrim, with the Gothic 3 world having a much more handcrafted quality to it, with huge attention having been paid to the tiniest of details. Whilst the world of Gothic 3 may not be quite on the same scale as the world of Skyrim, it is nontheless massive and distinguishes itself head and shoulders above the world of Skyrim due to the fact that the Gothic 3 world is immensely interesting to explore as opposed to mainly serving as a Bethesda style space/time barrier between the cordoned off towns and dungeons. Whilst the Gothic 3 towns/camps are indeed the main components of where the story unfolds, they blend seamlessly into the rest of the stunning, dark, but majestic world of Gothic 3, in which dozens of hours can be spent immersed in sheer exploration. In addition to the beautiful and captivating landscape, what Gothic 3 masters more so than any other game is providing for an interaction with the flora, fauna, and minerals of the world, in a way that the player is always on the look our for certain combinations of potentially character enhancing resources and facilities. The combination of loot driven kleptomania and danger lurking around every corner and in every nook n cranny of a masterfully crafted world, makes 'exploration' an absolute delight in this game. Indeed, due to the clever placing of some highly valuable objects in various secret and also not-so-secret, the course of the game and the decisions that are made can be hugely influenced by the fruits of exploration. One of the proclaimed weaknesses of Gothic 3 when compared with its predecessors (G1 + G2), was the simplistic nature of the quests, or in otherwords, the sheer volume of 'go there, kill them, get that' quests in the game. Whilst this may ring true when analysing the game close up, if one takes a more macroscopic view of the quests then what emerges is an epic power struggle in which the gamer must ultimately weigh up the pros and cons of some crucial decisions. Whether these decisions reflect the desires that the gamer has for particular individuals or factions in the game or the need for expediency and sacrfice of otherwise favoured characters and units in the Gothic 3 world, as the game progresses the gamer will increasingly find that no decision is to be taken lightly and will have the constant urge to postpone certain things, in the hope of alternative solutions opening up (which they often do). The whole shebang culminates in the Nameless Hero rising to the position of a demi-god, in which his will (and thus the will of the gamer) decides the fate of the entire continent upon which Gothic 3 is based. There are three possible 'Grand Finales' open to the Nameless hero depending on his actions througout the course of what is probably the most open ended RPG game ever made. With that said, the 'openess' of the Gothic 3 world also contributes to one of its potential flaws whereby if the game fails to understand the mechanics of the 'in-game poltics', then he can make the game practically incompleteable at a very early stage. This was particularly true in the unpatched version of the game where it was possible to start 'liberating' towns or 'crushing' rebel camps from the very outset of the game. However, with the CP 1.75, the stun-lock click fest combat (which made simultaneously wiping out dozens of human/ork foes possible in the unpatched version) has been completely fixed. Thus it is no longer possible for the gamer to successfully embark on such uninformed rash decisions at such an early stage of the game.

With almost 6 years having passed since I purchased Gothic 3, I have just completed the game for the first time ever and have got to say it ranks amongst my most pleasureable gaming experiences ever.
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    Maybe it's worth 9/10 but ill give 10 just to balance negatives. Yes it was buggy in release but now all of it was resolved by patches made by community. The combat system standardised same click left in oblivion whats up with comments about combat. Huge world with beautifull scenery. Epic music ,nice atmosphere. Game lacked on actual story line though. Playing it patched with alternate AIMaybe it's worth 9/10 but ill give 10 just to balance negatives. Yes it was buggy in release but now all of it was resolved by patches made by community. The combat system standardised same click left in oblivion whats up with comments about combat. Huge world with beautifull scenery. Epic music ,nice atmosphere. Game lacked on actual story line though. Playing it patched with alternate AI on hardest is just enough challenge for anyone. 3rd game lacked some things what first 2 parts had , but this is definitely worthy to play game , atleast 2 times better than oblivion (unless you love to run first person around every 15 mins to sell crap and encounter bandits on same road again) . Expand
  3. Sep 2, 2010
    This game is awesome. While it's basic version 1.00 was full of bugs, and i should know, as i have been working in the industry for more then half a year, many however have been fixed with the last community patch. The graphics was mind blowing, keeping the feeling of amazement that stroked me ever since the 1st game of the series, the different ways you can solve various quest in theThis game is awesome. While it's basic version 1.00 was full of bugs, and i should know, as i have been working in the industry for more then half a year, many however have been fixed with the last community patch. The graphics was mind blowing, keeping the feeling of amazement that stroked me ever since the 1st game of the series, the different ways you can solve various quest in the game that shape the outcome are welcomed giving the user the desire to replay the game in a total different way.

The alternate AI balancing has compensated for the easiness of the gameplay in version 1.00, and also like i mentioned before many bugs were solved, including the permanent items exploit which really gave you an unbeatable advantage.

The only thing that was fairly disappointing was that the end "movies" consist of only a slide show with pictures and voice over, which is less than the average user would expect after the intro video.
  4. Nov 19, 2011
    I played gothic 3 with community patch 1.74 which fixed most serious problems of this game so the performance issues and bugs did not bother me much. Despite the flaws, gothic 3 is truly an immersive open world RPG. The exploration, unlike in Oblivion, is actually fun, and it's interesting to loot some surprising treasures after beating tough foes. The faction setting in this game isI played gothic 3 with community patch 1.74 which fixed most serious problems of this game so the performance issues and bugs did not bother me much. Despite the flaws, gothic 3 is truly an immersive open world RPG. The exploration, unlike in Oblivion, is actually fun, and it's interesting to loot some surprising treasures after beating tough foes. The faction setting in this game is utterly good. You can side with different factions and ends up with different endings. The gameplay is also very non-linear. In many cases you can just talk your way out or you can smash them to death. Though the story in gothic 3 is terrible, it's not that bad considering that you have a massive world to explore. The graphics is still ok in today's standard and you pretty much are able to max its setting in mid-range PC nowadays. I personally think Gothic 3 is The elder scrolls IV: Oblivion should have been. Highly recommended if you enjoyed Morrowind. Expand
  5. May 30, 2012
    IF you need someone to hold your hand and tell you where to go, this game isn't for you. You literally have to follow sign posts and find your way around the HUGE world without the quest markers. YOU have to die many times and suffer. Such is life. Such is this game. That's why I enjoy it. I'd recommend it to fans of elder scrolls since it's familiar in that it's an open world RPG.IF you need someone to hold your hand and tell you where to go, this game isn't for you. You literally have to follow sign posts and find your way around the HUGE world without the quest markers. YOU have to die many times and suffer. Such is life. Such is this game. That's why I enjoy it. I'd recommend it to fans of elder scrolls since it's familiar in that it's an open world RPG. However, unlike elder scrolls the game is actually challenging, albeit with weaker combat mechanics. The best part to me is the environment which is beautiful. You can pick up plans and interact with it anywhere. ABOUT the bugs - many people complain about them, do they not know there is a COMMUNITY PATCH that has been in the works for years and fixes everything? I've been playing with that patch and nothing is broken, the game has crashed only twice in 30 hours of play. SO overall - great RPG, I wouldn't say the best due to mediocre story and fighting mechanics, but pretty damn good. Expand
  6. Aug 5, 2011
    The effort and ambition put into this game is seen in every corner of it's world. Too bad Piranha Bytes didn't have time to polish it. When playing the game I recommend to ignore little bugs and shuttering, and enjoy the art. My favourite Gothic title, and favourite RPG.
  7. Jul 27, 2011
    After having teamed up with JoWood, Piranha-Bytes set out to create the next title in the Gothic series. Gothic III. Unlike its predecessors, Gothic III brought numerous improvements that players had wanted since the first game. Piranha started from scrap creating an entirely new engine with incredibly immerse and WONDERFULLY realistic graphics. The forging system has been overhauled, asAfter having teamed up with JoWood, Piranha-Bytes set out to create the next title in the Gothic series. Gothic III. Unlike its predecessors, Gothic III brought numerous improvements that players had wanted since the first game. Piranha started from scrap creating an entirely new engine with incredibly immerse and WONDERFULLY realistic graphics. The forging system has been overhauled, as well as alchemy, hunting and others, what's even better is the new options to cook certain foods and recipes as well as PROSPECTING, YES you can now MINE minerals instead of endlessly hunting for them. The new lands present in this game are HUGE in content and the continent itself is GIGANTIC. Piranha went out on an arm and a leg for this one.

Unfortunately, JoWood; interested only in their numbers forced Piranha-Bytes to GOLD the game before they had time to iron it out and perform a decent amount of QA (Quality Assurance), although the main quests and most of the side quests, as well as content, story and NPC's were ready, the game was RIDDLED with hundreds if not THOUSANDS of bugs that most players had to wait for the Enhanced Edition Community Patch to fix.

It's worth the time and money to play, but you are DEFINITELY going to need to download the latest community patch to play this game.

Fact: After JoWood forced the release. Piranha-Bytes left JoWood. JoWood still retaining the rights to Gothic, sold them to DreamCatcher, who released the Gothic Universe Boxset (Gothic 1, Gothic II Gold and Gothic 3). Dreamcatcher released Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods and it was horrible. To date, no Gothic game after Gothic 3 has ever been released by Piranha-Bytes.

Now, I'm going to go play Gothic IV: Arcania to see if it's any good, will write a review on it later.
  8. Aug 28, 2010
    What a waste of money. This game is no where close to as good as Oblivion. The controls suck, the interface is horrid, is just plain bad! Even at $20 for the game that is a rip off, maybe worth $5.
  9. Apr 19, 2012
    This game has been a huge disappointment. I've been waiting for it for so long after beating Gothic 2... Just to receive a game that overwhelmed it's creators... The world is huge, filled with boring side quests. The fighting is just terrible.. All we have to do is clicking the mouse button...90% of the time we'll end up hitting the opponent as other enemies just stare, until they getThis game has been a huge disappointment. I've been waiting for it for so long after beating Gothic 2... Just to receive a game that overwhelmed it's creators... The world is huge, filled with boring side quests. The fighting is just terrible.. All we have to do is clicking the mouse button...90% of the time we'll end up hitting the opponent as other enemies just stare, until they get positioned close enough to be able to hit us. AI is simply terrible. Main story also wasn't entertaining at all. The music is nice, I must admit, and the graphics are pretty decent as well. The game is glitched like hell but this can be fixed with newest patch, thankfully. But even after that the game is not really enjoyable. Oh, and also, the game expects you to fight with whole cities/camps, which is just amusing because of how poor our enemies' AI is. Overall, it just doesn't have the atmosphere that Gothic 1 and 2 held. I'd maybe enjoy G3 if it had the same mechanics as G2... Pros: -Uh, graphics and music I guess...? -Huge open world... Which looks nice but isn't really interesting to explore. Cons: -Pretty much everything else. Expand
  10. Jul 26, 2012
    I'll start off by saying that I personally found Gothic 3 to be a massive improvement over the first two. The game now has some pace to it, as well as much better voice acting and controls. It also is much better at immersing the player because it gives you a huge world and encourages exploration, something the first two games consistently punished you for. There are tonnes of side questsI'll start off by saying that I personally found Gothic 3 to be a massive improvement over the first two. The game now has some pace to it, as well as much better voice acting and controls. It also is much better at immersing the player because it gives you a huge world and encourages exploration, something the first two games consistently punished you for. There are tonnes of side quests to do in different towns and villages, and you don't even have to do them all. You can take your time and do them in whatever order you wish or to completely ignore them even. This is what open-ended gameplay is about and Gothic 3 definitely managed to capture it. There is a certain amount of freedom involved, but at the same time the game does not lose out on the sense of direction. We still have the main story arc happening on the background, which you can get back to if you wish, although towards latter stages the difficulty starts to get steeper and so you are forced to do more level grinding and more side quests than you wish. The combat system is not as bad as in the first two games, but it is still quite unusual and clumsy. You do get used to it though, so it's not much of a drawback, in my opinion. The game also has really great music, which definitely sets a lovely atmosphere whilst exploring. The whole continent seems to be divided into 3 major areas - Myrtana, which is a beautiful grassy area with lots of forests and open fields, Nordmar, which is a snowy area in the North, and Varant, the hot, desert area in the South. Now, although I find Gothic 3 to be a good game, there are still plenty of small drawbacks. One of the things I really want to criticise is the lack of character customization. I think the game would've greatly benefited from allowing the player to make their own character. Other drawbacks: some parts of the game are very frustrating, some of the landscape is confusing and featureless, causing you to lose your direction, and at times there are some issues with AI of the NPCs. Like for example there is a tamed Ice Golem at the entrance of one of the villages that consistently tries to attack me every time I walk past it, even though it's not supposed to do that. I never recall aggravating it or anything of that sort. It literally deems me as an enemy as soon as I get near. Other than that I have not encountered any major bugs and the game never really crashed on me, so if there were any bugs that caused this game to have such a low Metascore, then they must've gotten fixed by now. The game is quite graphically demanding though. I had to set it on low graphics settings or else the whole game would just go into black and white and not display the text properly, despite my computer being pretty good and able to run most current games on medium to high settings. Sadly it is hard to enjoy the beauty of the game's environments on low settings, so the fun in that regard might be slightly limited. Overall Gothic 3 is enjoyable and in my opinion surpasses Gothic 1 and 2 (those who think otherwise are probably Gothic 1 and 2 purists and have nostalgia associated with those games). It's not as good and as polished as Elder Scrolls games, but it's fun in its own right. Expand
  11. Jan 31, 2012
    Technical issues may be on my end, but they are still technical issues. It doesn't help that the combat truly is hardcore. I don't understand the appeal at all and honestly, I couldnt spend more then 3 hours with it. Buy if it's like 5$, not more.
  12. Oct 23, 2010
    I played the latest patched version and it works fine on my upscale gaming system. There are a few minor glitches, but its worth playing. There are plenty of quests and lots to do. Its not nearly as good as Oblivion, but if you like RPG, this game will keep you busy.
  13. Sep 3, 2013
    I've played this a long time ago and loved it. It's an acquired taste, sure, but very interesting. While it can go stale or repetitive after a while, it has a massive replayability potential because of the vast areas you can explore. Few and far between were the bugs i encountered, though with several community patches i managed to get it to run as it should. It's technical presentationI've played this a long time ago and loved it. It's an acquired taste, sure, but very interesting. While it can go stale or repetitive after a while, it has a massive replayability potential because of the vast areas you can explore. Few and far between were the bugs i encountered, though with several community patches i managed to get it to run as it should. It's technical presentation leaves much to be desired and probably is the reason that it falters as a complete experience, but after a while you forget all about it and immerse yourself in the game. Expand
  14. Sep 10, 2011
    I picked up this game very recently, about six years after it's release date. For reference, I played and enjoyed Gothic 1 and am a generally big fan of the RPG genre; Fallout 1 and 2 are my alltime faves. Gothic 3 ultimately turned out to be one of the most memorable RPG experiences of my life. You're faced with deep moral dilemmas; often, helping the obviously "good" faction will runI picked up this game very recently, about six years after it's release date. For reference, I played and enjoyed Gothic 1 and am a generally big fan of the RPG genre; Fallout 1 and 2 are my alltime faves. Gothic 3 ultimately turned out to be one of the most memorable RPG experiences of my life. You're faced with deep moral dilemmas; often, helping the obviously "good" faction will run counter to your overall goals. You're also faced with some serious exploration challenges. The world is rich and well constructed and overwhelmingly immersive and beautiful. I'm still haunted by visions of wandering around half-covered desert ruins during a sandstorm. There are multiple paths and ways to finish the game. The questing and stories are very very open ended, as in you can follow several different paths in any order you like, which does have it's downsides; without a linear path in a game, you can often miss out on crucial character/skill development steps or alternatively jump way ahead to end-game level items at a very early stage. Such is the price of freedom. For example, my path led to very early acquisition of top of the line sword and bow very early on while completely being ignorant of the existence of learnable magic skills until it was too late in the game for me to care. This is a good thing in my opinion (kind of like being stuck with your initial attributes in a D&D game and having to make the best of it). Many players won't like this of course. If you want to make a "mage" or a "druid", you're going to have to bypass any immersion and jump straight to meta-gaming, walkthroughs, and faqs. On to the combat. Combat is perhaps the most criticized aspect of the game. Two reasons; first, you can get very far by randomly swinging. This is true and unfortunate though possibly remedied by playing on hard mode. That being said, as I started to actually learn how combat worked, I learned that swing spamming made kills take a very very long time compared to use of calculated precise heavy blows or combos. For example, it might take 10 light spammed attacks to take down a human guard, while a well-timed poisoned thrust followed by a single strong attack can take the same guy down in seconds. Learning how to sidestep enemy attacks and how to take down enemies fast is a challenge and ultimately fun and rewarding. Second, combat is often criticized for being too hard! the "stun lock" combos are often mentioned. Let's make this clear; if you let a wolf past your guard and into your face, yes you are screwed. It's going to tear your throat out and can be very dangerous no matter what stage of the game you're at. And this is considered a bad thing? A wolf pack remains throughout the game one of the most dangerous things to engage, and I personally think that is great. With practice and patience you can learn to take out these "stun lock" beasts using, you got it, skill and quick attacks to keep them away from your throat. Another complaint about combat that I see people mentioning is how quickly you can be taken down... the leveling system in this game is unique in that when you level, you get absolutely nothing other than "learning points" which you can use however you see fit. If you are dying in a couple of hits, maybe invest in some more health. Overall one of the best "true" hard core RPG experiences available in the current world of illusory freedom and the substitution of bells and whistles for truly morally engaging situations. My only remaining complains a few days after completing the game? Save game and load game times are terrible, but given the high difficulty of the game, you will be doing both often. There can be a frustrating lack of information regarding where quest objectives are located; I don't expect to be hand held, but when a quest giver tells me to look for a missing person on a mountain, I expect to find them on the mountain. I think that more should have been explained to players outright, such as "this is not a typical RPG, you can and will get your ass kicked at every stage of the game if you get at all careless." Gothic 3 is indeed still rough around the edges but a must-have for any true fans of the RPS genre. Expand
  15. Nov 13, 2013
    Remember that scene in the simpsons where the guy trades the last ribwich for a car then says, "I have-a the buyers remorse". That's pretty much how I feel right now.
  16. Feb 4, 2014
    Gothic 3 - best game i ever played. Awesome story, awesome environments, awesome fight system. I liked it from first to last minute of gameplay. 10/10.
  17. Oct 31, 2013
    I got this game as a gift. I am not a huge fun of the series, but it has a few bright moments.
    The amount of bugs in this game instantly ruins whatever experience it aimed to achieve. Anyway I got to the end and it is not so terrible as you may think.
  18. Jan 26, 2014
    Patched, awesome. Not everything is perfect, but Gothic 3 is a fu*king good game with a huge and beautiful world, where killing an animal or completing a quest still matters. Music, atmosphere, graphics, old friends from gothic 1 and 2, quests, replayability, this is how a game should look. Nowadays you dont need to level up to finish a game, you just smash everything that comes in yourPatched, awesome. Not everything is perfect, but Gothic 3 is a fu*king good game with a huge and beautiful world, where killing an animal or completing a quest still matters. Music, atmosphere, graphics, old friends from gothic 1 and 2, quests, replayability, this is how a game should look. Nowadays you dont need to level up to finish a game, you just smash everything that comes in your way, never feeling any satisfaction. Gothic is one of the few games that make you feel like you´ve achieved something after long hours of playing. May lack some things its predecessors had, but Gothic 3 is still one of the best RPGs ever created. I would rate it 9/10, because of the slightly weaker main story, 9.5 maybe, cause I loved it and didn´t mind those bugs that came with the release. 10/10 to balance all da haters, who played the game with bugs right after the (forced) release and gave it 0/10 because of the frustration. Expand
  19. Dec 6, 2014
    Oblivion have better combat system definitely, this from G3 looks just ridiculous. Also what is crazy that you can beat some npc steal his sword worth lot of money and then go literally just few steps away and return. He will don't remember that you rob him and.. LOL he will again have that inventory. Crazy! So you may rob him to infinity there is no point of money in this game. TotallyOblivion have better combat system definitely, this from G3 looks just ridiculous. Also what is crazy that you can beat some npc steal his sword worth lot of money and then go literally just few steps away and return. He will don't remember that you rob him and.. LOL he will again have that inventory. Crazy! So you may rob him to infinity there is no point of money in this game. Totally broken stuff. But what is good are locations which was well designed, its not just random meaningless and BORING as Oblivion. Also adventure part is pretty good. So in fact am actually like that game. Where Oblivion in my opinion is broken to point of unplayable, this game is bad but you may actually play.

Where am not say that G3 is super perfect best game of all time. Its not good but longer you play then more you may like it. My initial score for this game was 0/10 but it constantly raise to even 8/10 If these parts am mentioned would be fixed, better then my score could be that high. Unless I can't promote rubbish. this game is broken and that is fact. It shouldn't be released that way, does anybody test it anyway? LOL This game have so many years that should be already updated fixed modified etc. but they still sell the same trash, amazing! And beside this am found few other bugs and am still not sure if this is potential game killer bug. Well this game have so low quality that I wouldn't be surprised! ****** **** %&#@ !!!!! waste of time! Better play Risen 1 its MUCH better game.
  20. Jun 30, 2014
    Anyone looking to get this game will not be upset after applying the patches. The game was rough when it first came out, that's no lie. It really is one of the best.
  21. Sep 28, 2010
    Nice game with the typically feeling of gothic like the one before or like Risen :)
    A bit bugged without patches but works really nice with the newest.
  22. Oct 13, 2014
    This is an absolutely amazing game, but like others have said, it really needs the community patches. If you don't mind going through the (minor) trouble of patching it after installation, you'll be treated with a deep and engaging story, a huge explorable world, and tons of choices that actually impact things. I can only assume the negative reviews are without the patch, and yes, it'sThis is an absolutely amazing game, but like others have said, it really needs the community patches. If you don't mind going through the (minor) trouble of patching it after installation, you'll be treated with a deep and engaging story, a huge explorable world, and tons of choices that actually impact things. I can only assume the negative reviews are without the patch, and yes, it's really that important. Make sure to get community patch 1.75, and use alternative balancing, to enjoy one of the best RPGs ever made the way it was meant to be played. Expand
  23. May 27, 2011
    Uh... amazing graphics and environments but... dam... compared to Gothic 2, this game is bad. Its fun to explore but there is so little quests and most of them are bad :( While you play Gothic 3, after some time you will ask yourself,whats the point of all this.

-minus weak story, too easy combat, quests, things to do, guilds...
  24. Jun 22, 2014
    I played with the community patch, and a high-powered rig (GTX 780, Intel i7). The game is built on an engine without any occlusion capabilities, and it has only one resolution distance threshold, which means the graphics look like you're in a "resolution bubble" -- hideous. The game ran well on my rig, but the engine is so bad that I have no idea how anyone managed to run this on aI played with the community patch, and a high-powered rig (GTX 780, Intel i7). The game is built on an engine without any occlusion capabilities, and it has only one resolution distance threshold, which means the graphics look like you're in a "resolution bubble" -- hideous. The game ran well on my rig, but the engine is so bad that I have no idea how anyone managed to run this on a playable frame rate back when it was released. It's truly a monument to poor engineering for a graphics engine.

The game itself feels like a Gothic game in the spirit of Gothic 1 and 2 and it has a few moments when it is genuinely fun, but a lot of the magic has faded. Gothic 3 is thin on everything except exploration. C&C comes down to an opinion score for each faction. You don't change the world a whole lot except for wiping out entire towns, which is what you have to do to finish the game. (It feels awkward to have to kill people who were sometimes your earlier quest givers.) The plot fizzles out suddenly and the game ends abruptly and is unsatisfying.

Questing consists of too many fetch and fedex missions, and not enough C&C between quests. Still, a few quests were interesting and managed to captivate me.

I only finished the game once, but I get the impression that there comes a point when you can't do some of the quests anymore and the game doesn't bother to tell you that and fail them. Instead, you're expected to pick a side and start wiping out entire villages. The discontinuity is a bit immersion-breaking, a relief though it may ultimately be.

Combat is very difficult at first, and then it suddenly becomes very easy. I became a mage and had a lot of trouble until I learned the fireball spell, which is what I used to kill almost everything for the rest of the game. I finished the game with well over 100 unspent talent points, and the second half of it lacked any challenge. Because your character cannot aim spells, they made it easier to hit targets by making your projectiles seek them. It's like having an infinite supply of heat-seeking missiles that destroy everything.

As you might have guessed, the variety of spells (and other talents too) is much smaller in this game.

Most of the game seems to consist of looting, and you end up with an overabundance of everything. I finished the game with hundreds of thousands of useless gold pieces and hundreds of unneeded potions that I saved up for that big final fight that never came.

The variety of armors and weapons is lacking compared with earlier versions of Gothic. My mage wore 3-4 armors for the whole game, and spent 50% of the game wearing one set, which wasn't even appropriate for his class. I used roughly 3 weapons the whole game.

Level design can be quite pretty in points. The desert and grasslands are pretty, even if they overdo it with the waterfalls. The transition to the wintery Nordmar part is atmospheric, but unfortunately the level design in Nordmar is annoyingly labyrinthine, and it becomes a long boring maze after all the enemies in it have been wiped out.

The music is good in some areas, such as the desert, but in others it is inappropriately sentimental and sometimes outright jarring. The lack of variety in music for such a huge area really wore me out after a while. My girlfriend said I must be watching Lassie re-runs.

Over all the game still feels unfinished, like there isn't enough of anything and as if the C&C is too shallow. On the other hand, Gothic 3 does (barely) maintain world consistency, which is more than can be said of modern titles like Skyrim, which don't really have C&C and are essentially a modular bundle of fetch quests.
  25. Aug 24, 2011
    this game disappointed me because it was nowhere near as good as gothic II but it was still a good game

the world map is huge with three different terrains (snow, woodland and a desert) but the story is still very immersible and the graphics are also better but what killed 2 points of the game for me is the combat, the combat is horrible it has no gameplay whatsoever you just keep

but what killed 2 points of the game for me is the combat, the combat is horrible it has no gameplay whatsoever you just keep tapping the mouse button like a mentally ill until everyone dies

because when you hit something he gets stunned for a second and when he recovers you hit him again which causes a very boring cycle of pressing the mouse but what is also a problem is that this also happens to you
    you can have a lvl 50 character that still gets murdered by a **** lvl 1 boar because the thing give you no chance to hit it and when you die you have to watch at the loading screen for an entire minute

overall it is a good game but the combat butt **** the **** out of this game
  26. Sep 6, 2011
    Dont buy this game !
    its a game with 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 different bugs !
    i was playing it for 9 hours and i was keep telling to my self to try to play it maybe its worth it but.... there is no way u can play it without having tons bugs ! even from the start i try to install it again but again the same problems i was waiting for an update nothing.... if u want to
    Dont buy this game !
    its a game with 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 different bugs !
    there is no way u can play it without having tons bugs ! even from the start
    if u want to play a game like this buy two worlds its better but its not awesome either
  27. Nov 24, 2013
    Huge amount of content, massives lands to explore, decent ranged magic and bow mechanics, poor healing system and very broken melee mechanics. Tried multiple replays never ever beat the game. I think the problem is that is an ok game (with the CP v1.75 without its just poor) that just sucks up too much game time for what little fun it has to offer overall.
  28. Dec 13, 2012
    It is one of the fascinating game! I did not play this kind of game that was full of sorrows. This game is teaching about the humanity. In addition to that it is adventurers. But the only thing it was lacing was that the duration of the game was short and some real challenges was missing. In addition to that some of the objects were unable pick up by the hero in the game. So I rate thisIt is one of the fascinating game! I did not play this kind of game that was full of sorrows. This game is teaching about the humanity. In addition to that it is adventurers. But the only thing it was lacing was that the duration of the game was short and some real challenges was missing. In addition to that some of the objects were unable pick up by the hero in the game. So I rate this game as 9 out of 10 Expand
  29. May 18, 2013
    Even if this is one of the baddest Gothics it still is very good. When you patched it up, there are no more errors and the gameplay is awesome. It has a very big open world and the story is still very good.
  30. Sep 8, 2014
    It's terrible.
    It was terrible back in the 2006 when it came out, and it still is a terrible game that probably shouldn't be made.
    It's terrible.
    The game is huge, but outside Myrtana it's just big, empty spaces that just annoy you, have no real purpose being in the game and doesn't really fit in the theme Gothic 3 should look like. Besides throwing in more unispired slashing thousands of enemies and making game unnecessary longer. And no - killing an entire orc army all by yourself is not epic.
    Myrtana looks amazing and has it charm, but it's an empty shell. Quests are few and most of them don't make any sense, main quest is a mess. 3 different areas tend to contradict themselves, since you can ally with orcs in Myrtana and kill every single orc in Nordmar. Khan will still love you after you return to him all like "oh hai, I just killed all your armies just up ahead in the mountains". Side factions are forced and useless (why would anyone use druid stones?). The overall theme is ruined. Orcs are turned into some kind of parody of themselves. The game tells us that they've learned human language only for basic communications with their new slaves and mercenaries but... all we hear of their native language is "mora" and they speak with eachother in english. Yeah. Weird design decisions (reworked magic and teleport stones lying around just for you to pick up).
    The game is entertaining to the certain point, where you run around Myrtana and do basic stuff, but after you enter Nordmar or Varant you can turn it off, loosing nothing of value. The game is artificially prolonged beyond any reasons - we're given "collect X quest" which is all about killing hundreds of undeads in plain desert and badly designed temples made from 3 corridors.

Aside dreadful fundamental flaws, the game is full of game breaking bugs that are impossible to fix. Fan made patch makes things a little better, but it's still a mess. Content packs just make things worse, throwing in some balance breaking stuff and one of the most infantile fan-made quests I've ever seen that absolutely break the game in terms of the entertainment. The quest-pack and content-mod feel like made by 8-years olds.
  31. Jul 10, 2013
    Long time passed, played many rpg game such as, gothic 4 arcania (parody of gothic, i hope Jowood will burn in hell for that), dragonage1-2, rising 1-2, skyrim and many other...
    Who thinks like me than all say to those donkeys that we need Gothic 2-3 ideas and crew who worked with this project, these series was best games ever played, it sucks you in 100 percent, only non-gamers like corrupted donkeys from Jowood can tell to me and others that Gothic 3 sucks and 4 is good...
    ill try my best to tell angry joe about this bullsh.... maby he will check this out....
  32. Ogr
    Jan 27, 2014
    When I first played this game in 2006, I was disappointed. I loved Gothic 1 & 2 and Gothic 3 was full of bugs and way too hungry for hardware.

Now, nearly 8 years later, I played it again with all the important patches (community patch, content mod), enb and the best ini tweak that I found. Wow. It still looks beautiful and it's pretty free of bugs now, I could enjoy this game how it

Wow. It still looks beautiful and it's pretty free of bugs now, I could enjoy this game how it was meant to be. I think it's one of the best 3D-Open-World RPGs out there, it's not as good as Gothic 2 or Skyrim, but still better than Oblivion. The world is huge, the atmosphere is dirty and it's up to you how you go through this game.

The Bad: The Battlesystem is poor. While you can decide for who you do a quest, there are not many options on how you will complete the quests, you can't lie etc.

All in all I would give it 8,5 points for playing it in 2014.
  33. Sep 4, 2014
    Gothic 3 - what to say? Game was just released when it was unfinished, we received some sort of alpha-state game, without any content and game mechanics that would be here... There are too much to talk about what is bad, good is only music there and factions idea (of course only idea). CP didnt helped here much, even with latest 1.75.14. If game will be finished, it will be probably betterGothic 3 - what to say? Game was just released when it was unfinished, we received some sort of alpha-state game, without any content and game mechanics that would be here... There are too much to talk about what is bad, good is only music there and factions idea (of course only idea). CP didnt helped here much, even with latest 1.75.14. If game will be finished, it will be probably better than Gothic 1/2 and maybe one of the best game ever made. Sadly, it didnt happened and today Pirahna Bytes dont have that "talent?" and ambitions to make a game near to project of Gothic 3... There was a hope with Risen 1, but it just goes away with Risen 2 and 3 (2.5? haha) Good bye Gothic series and Piranha Bytes forever.... Expand
  34. Oct 28, 2014
    The game worked ok for me, though when turning around as it loads the different environment it seems to lag a bit.

Combat animations are very lazy, the same sword slash motion is used when weilding a spear. Looks very strange to swing a spear in the left right slash animation, a spear should have a thrusting animation of it's own. And the weapon hitting doesn't make a sound. Thought

Thought I didn't like the game, but I keep returning and wanting to play.

But now after 32 hours of game play the game is frustrating me, with vague quest descriptions causing me to wander in circles and then alt tabbing out of the game to do a search for how to complete quests, I end up with a black screen and crtl alt delete doesn't work and have to manually shut down after the black screen. Don't waste your time playing this. AVOID at all costs.

I'd rate the game 3/10 not a game I'd recommend. If you really want to try this game get it on sale like I did for $2.49
  35. Nov 19, 2014
    For many a disaster. And yes, on the release day, this game was also half a disaster.
    If you gave the community time and after a long time, the good patches installed and then played, it was a very good game.

For me, in spite of everything a very good Gothic-part

1. The game manages to blend just the right amounts of combat, NPC interaction, character development, exploration, and epic save-the-world storytelling into the sort of potion that your typical beardie will gulp down with wild-eyed abandon. [Dec 2006, p.94]
  2. At times gorgeous, at other times frustrating, it's worth persevering with just to bask in its snug atmosphere.
  3. Ditch your standards and enjoy shaping a mediocre world to your will. [Dec 2006, p.105]