Gothic 3 PC

• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
7.3

1. Mar 9, 2015
    If you're new to the series, better get the first two games. Unfortunately, this game is largely being overshadowed by the excellent predecessors. While the game is mostly playable now, thanks to the help of some community patches, the game wasn't really released in a feature-complete state, which you can see in many aspects. A lot of CORE game features either weren't really finalized, notIf you're new to the series, better get the first two games. Unfortunately, this game is largely being overshadowed by the excellent predecessors. While the game is mostly playable now, thanks to the help of some community patches, the game wasn't really released in a feature-complete state, which you can see in many aspects. A lot of CORE game features either weren't really finalized, not well though-out, or just badly imlemented, that's something no community patch can ever fix. Expand
  2. Jun 22, 2014
    I played with the community patch, and a high-powered rig (GTX 780, Intel i7). The game is built on an engine without any occlusion capabilities, and it has only one resolution distance threshold, which means the graphics look like you're in a "resolution bubble" -- hideous. The game ran well on my rig, but the engine is so bad that I have no idea how anyone managed to run this on aI played with the community patch, and a high-powered rig (GTX 780, Intel i7). The game is built on an engine without any occlusion capabilities, and it has only one resolution distance threshold, which means the graphics look like you're in a "resolution bubble" -- hideous. The game ran well on my rig, but the engine is so bad that I have no idea how anyone managed to run this on a playable frame rate back when it was released. It's truly a monument to poor engineering for a graphics engine.

The game itself feels like a Gothic game in the spirit of Gothic 1 and 2 and it has a few moments when it is genuinely fun, but a lot of the magic has faded. Gothic 3 is thin on everything except exploration. C&C comes down to an opinion score for each faction. You don't change the world a whole lot except for wiping out entire towns, which is what you have to do to finish the game. (It feels awkward to have to kill people who were sometimes your earlier quest givers.) The plot fizzles out suddenly and the game ends abruptly and is unsatisfying.

Questing consists of too many fetch and fedex missions, and not enough C&C between quests. Still, a few quests were interesting and managed to captivate me.

I only finished the game once, but I get the impression that there comes a point when you can't do some of the quests anymore and the game doesn't bother to tell you that and fail them. Instead, you're expected to pick a side and start wiping out entire villages. The discontinuity is a bit immersion-breaking, a relief though it may ultimately be.

Combat is very difficult at first, and then it suddenly becomes very easy. I became a mage and had a lot of trouble until I learned the fireball spell, which is what I used to kill almost everything for the rest of the game. I finished the game with well over 100 unspent talent points, and the second half of it lacked any challenge. Because your character cannot aim spells, they made it easier to hit targets by making your projectiles seek them. It's like having an infinite supply of heat-seeking missiles that destroy everything.

As you might have guessed, the variety of spells (and other talents too) is much smaller in this game.

Most of the game seems to consist of looting, and you end up with an overabundance of everything. I finished the game with hundreds of thousands of useless gold pieces and hundreds of unneeded potions that I saved up for that big final fight that never came.

The variety of armors and weapons is lacking compared with earlier versions of Gothic. My mage wore 3-4 armors for the whole game, and spent 50% of the game wearing one set, which wasn't even appropriate for his class. I used roughly 3 weapons the whole game.

Level design can be quite pretty in points. The desert and grasslands are pretty, even if they overdo it with the waterfalls. The transition to the wintery Nordmar part is atmospheric, but unfortunately the level design in Nordmar is annoyingly labyrinthine, and it becomes a long boring maze after all the enemies in it have been wiped out.

The music is good in some areas, such as the desert, but in others it is inappropriately sentimental and sometimes outright jarring. The lack of variety in music for such a huge area really wore me out after a while. My girlfriend said I must be watching Lassie re-runs.

Over all the game still feels unfinished, like there isn't enough of anything and as if the C&C is too shallow. On the other hand, Gothic 3 does (barely) maintain world consistency, which is more than can be said of modern titles like Skyrim, which don't really have C&C and are essentially a modular bundle of fetch quests.
  3. SimonH
    Dec 3, 2009
    A noble and worthy effort. Despite the many annoying bugs and a lack of immerision the beauty of the graphics and the longevity make this a decent RPG. Its not in the same league as Oblivion due to the lack of modding potential but still great fun and beautiful to look at. Like many jowood titles not worth buying when released due to the terrible bugs ruining the game. Now some years A noble and worthy effort. Despite the many annoying bugs and a lack of immerision the beauty of the graphics and the longevity make this a decent RPG. Its not in the same league as Oblivion due to the lack of modding potential but still great fun and beautiful to look at. Like many jowood titles not worth buying when released due to the terrible bugs ruining the game. Now some years later its actually not too bad. Expand
  4. Tman
    Dec 5, 2006
    There's a thrilling, immersive and exciting game in here somewhere. The problem is all the bugs and the flawed combat system which makes it really hard to find that game. I regret giving the game a 6, it really would be a 9 or 10 if it was ever actually finished, and I am using the latest patch. Ic ant imagine how this game looked like after release before the patches.
  5. Nov 19, 2011
    I played gothic 3 with community patch 1.74 which fixed most serious problems of this game so the performance issues and bugs did not bother me much. Despite the flaws, gothic 3 is truly an immersive open world RPG. The exploration, unlike in Oblivion, is actually fun, and it's interesting to loot some surprising treasures after beating tough foes. The faction setting in this game isI played gothic 3 with community patch 1.74 which fixed most serious problems of this game so the performance issues and bugs did not bother me much. Despite the flaws, gothic 3 is truly an immersive open world RPG. The exploration, unlike in Oblivion, is actually fun, and it's interesting to loot some surprising treasures after beating tough foes. The faction setting in this game is utterly good. You can side with different factions and ends up with different endings. The gameplay is also very non-linear. In many cases you can just talk your way out or you can smash them to death. Though the story in gothic 3 is terrible, it's not that bad considering that you have a massive world to explore. The graphics is still ok in today's standard and you pretty much are able to max its setting in mid-range PC nowadays. I personally think Gothic 3 is The elder scrolls IV: Oblivion should have been. Highly recommended if you enjoyed Morrowind. Expand
  6. Oct 31, 2013
    I got this game as a gift. I am not a huge fun of the series, but it has a few bright moments.
    The amount of bugs in this game instantly ruins whatever experience it aimed to achieve. Anyway I got to the end and it is not so terrible as you may think.
  7. ZO
    Sep 30, 2007
    Has really lost a lot of the 'Gothic Charm' from the previous two games. Even if you manage to get past the technical issues surrounding the game, it doesn't make up for the lack of direction. All you do is go around and liberate cities, and even if you do too much of that you can seriously break the game by having every city that you come across be hostile to you. If you Has really lost a lot of the 'Gothic Charm' from the previous two games. Even if you manage to get past the technical issues surrounding the game, it doesn't make up for the lack of direction. All you do is go around and liberate cities, and even if you do too much of that you can seriously break the game by having every city that you come across be hostile to you. If you are interested in picking up this game and are new to the Gothic series do yourself a favor and pick up Gothic 1 and 2 for cheap. They are far superior to Gothic 3 in almost every way. Expand
  8. Gothic3
    Jan 29, 2007
    Great graphics and (potentially) gameplay. Since i have a good rig, I'm not troubled by any performance issue, but the fact that a wild boar can kill you twice as fast as an elite orc warrior is just messed up! The armor in the game is just for show, as it is completely ineffective. Also, the combat system is pretty stupid...i'm sick and tired of accidentally killing my allies Great graphics and (potentially) gameplay. Since i have a good rig, I'm not troubled by any performance issue, but the fact that a wild boar can kill you twice as fast as an elite orc warrior is just messed up! The armor in the game is just for show, as it is completely ineffective. Also, the combat system is pretty stupid...i'm sick and tired of accidentally killing my allies during a fight! Anyway, the game does have a lot of potential and gives you an incredible feeling while playing it, but unless we see some major patch(es) soon, it's back to Oblivion, baby! Expand
  9. Jul 26, 2012
    I'll start off by saying that I personally found Gothic 3 to be a massive improvement over the first two. The game now has some pace to it, as well as much better voice acting and controls. It also is much better at immersing the player because it gives you a huge world and encourages exploration, something the first two games consistently punished you for. There are tonnes of side questsI'll start off by saying that I personally found Gothic 3 to be a massive improvement over the first two. The game now has some pace to it, as well as much better voice acting and controls. It also is much better at immersing the player because it gives you a huge world and encourages exploration, something the first two games consistently punished you for. There are tonnes of side quests to do in different towns and villages, and you don't even have to do them all. You can take your time and do them in whatever order you wish or to completely ignore them even. This is what open-ended gameplay is about and Gothic 3 definitely managed to capture it. There is a certain amount of freedom involved, but at the same time the game does not lose out on the sense of direction. We still have the main story arc happening on the background, which you can get back to if you wish, although towards latter stages the difficulty starts to get steeper and so you are forced to do more level grinding and more side quests than you wish. The combat system is not as bad as in the first two games, but it is still quite unusual and clumsy. You do get used to it though, so it's not much of a drawback, in my opinion. The game also has really great music, which definitely sets a lovely atmosphere whilst exploring. The whole continent seems to be divided into 3 major areas - Myrtana, which is a beautiful grassy area with lots of forests and open fields, Nordmar, which is a snowy area in the North, and Varant, the hot, desert area in the South. Now, although I find Gothic 3 to be a good game, there are still plenty of small drawbacks. One of the things I really want to criticise is the lack of character customization. I think the game would've greatly benefited from allowing the player to make their own character. Other drawbacks: some parts of the game are very frustrating, some of the landscape is confusing and featureless, causing you to lose your direction, and at times there are some issues with AI of the NPCs. Like for example there is a tamed Ice Golem at the entrance of one of the villages that consistently tries to attack me every time I walk past it, even though it's not supposed to do that. I never recall aggravating it or anything of that sort. It literally deems me as an enemy as soon as I get near. Other than that I have not encountered any major bugs and the game never really crashed on me, so if there were any bugs that caused this game to have such a low Metascore, then they must've gotten fixed by now. The game is quite graphically demanding though. I had to set it on low graphics settings or else the whole game would just go into black and white and not display the text properly, despite my computer being pretty good and able to run most current games on medium to high settings. Sadly it is hard to enjoy the beauty of the game's environments on low settings, so the fun in that regard might be slightly limited. Overall Gothic 3 is enjoyable and in my opinion surpasses Gothic 1 and 2 (those who think otherwise are probably Gothic 1 and 2 purists and have nostalgia associated with those games). It's not as good and as polished as Elder Scrolls games, but it's fun in its own right. Expand
  10. Sep 3, 2013
    I've played this a long time ago and loved it. It's an acquired taste, sure, but very interesting. While it can go stale or repetitive after a while, it has a massive replayability potential because of the vast areas you can explore. Few and far between were the bugs i encountered, though with several community patches i managed to get it to run as it should. It's technical presentationI've played this a long time ago and loved it. It's an acquired taste, sure, but very interesting. While it can go stale or repetitive after a while, it has a massive replayability potential because of the vast areas you can explore. Few and far between were the bugs i encountered, though with several community patches i managed to get it to run as it should. It's technical presentation leaves much to be desired and probably is the reason that it falters as a complete experience, but after a while you forget all about it and immerse yourself in the game. Expand
  11. Hickmanj
    Dec 1, 2006
    Underneath the bugs, there is a wonderful RPG experience. Unfortunately, you will have to endure memory leaks that *frequently* crash the game or delay it creating unbearable lag - this is the worst of the bugs; but there are a plethora of others. If you can handle finding the diamond in the rough (and it is a diamond) then get it - but know there will be times of hair-pulling Underneath the bugs, there is a wonderful RPG experience. Unfortunately, you will have to endure memory leaks that *frequently* crash the game or delay it creating unbearable lag - this is the worst of the bugs; but there are a plethora of others. If you can handle finding the diamond in the rough (and it is a diamond) then get it - but know there will be times of hair-pulling frustration. I have a medium-high end rig with the hardware the game was made on (says it in the manual) and I am still encountering significant issues and have to play with mid settings to compensate (I play Oblivion on 1600x1200 and most settings maxed). Expand
  12. Oct 23, 2010
    I played the latest patched version and it works fine on my upscale gaming system. There are a few minor glitches, but its worth playing. There are plenty of quests and lots to do. Its not nearly as good as Oblivion, but if you like RPG, this game will keep you busy.
  13. DaeC
    Oct 26, 2006
    Nice backgrounds, but models are sloppy by today's standards. Combat feels like you have petite mal seizures. You might be able to best an orc leader, but if a wild boar gets a hit on you, no amount of armor will save you. Make sure to quick save every few minutes or that boar will cost you hours of gameplay.
  14. Jul 15, 2015
    I finally got this game cheap on Steam after all these years. I had played the first two in the series and always wanted to finish the story of the nameless hero, but I had heard what a buggy mess Gothic 3 was. I played this on version 1.75.14 of the community patch. Even with the patch and playing on a modern computer, the game still lags. The good news is that when I wasn't hitting thoseI finally got this game cheap on Steam after all these years. I had played the first two in the series and always wanted to finish the story of the nameless hero, but I had heard what a buggy mess Gothic 3 was. I played this on version 1.75.14 of the community patch. Even with the patch and playing on a modern computer, the game still lags. The good news is that when I wasn't hitting those lag spikes, the frame rate was mostly very smooth at high settings. The game was also pretty stable, it only crashed maybe five times the whole time I played, and always when I created a bunch of mayhem in a town. And this was in 120 hours of playing. There were some other noticeable bugs, though. On a couple of occasions, npc's somehow got ten feet in the air, or disappeared under the ground. When sneaking sometimes the camera would switch from my character to a nearby npc and I couldn't get it back. When standing on a boulder to shoot at animals attacking me, they sometimes clipped inside the boulder and actually bit me through the rock from below. And I had to spawn King Rhobar with a console command because he did not appear in his throne room. None of this made the game unplayable, but it's very noticeable after playing much more polished games like Skyrim.

Gothic 3 differs from the first two in that it follows the open world model of Elder Scrolls. Personally, I prefer the narrative structure of the first two games to the sandbox approach. There is a story that slowly reveals itself as you travel across Myrtana, and you meet several old friends from the earlier games like Diego, Milten, Lares, Vatras, and Lester. The short of it is, the orcs rule Myrtana, the remaining free human settlements are in the mountains of Nordmar, and the Hashishin rule the desert in Varant. You have the freedom to choose who you want to side with: orcs, humans, Hashishin, nomads. Or you can just ally yourself with your old friend Xardas, who is squirreled away in a tower in the mountains. One thing I've always liked about the Gothic series, similar to Witcher, is that character and plot development is driven by actions and consequences over the abstract concept of good versus evil. That said, the weak narrative structure of Gothic 3 makes it hard to get really invested in the story. I literally only had one meaningful interaction with Xardas in my whole game that lasted all of two minutes. And the ending of the main story was completely underwhelming. No epic final boss battle, just perform a certain task and report back. The End. When you play a game for over a hundred hours, you expect something a little grander.

The world of Gothic 3 is great. It's huge, and varied, and visually it still looks good nine years after its release. It's also very much alive, with wildlife that behaves like wildlife. They sleep, they hunt, they even leave you alone if you keep your distance or move past them quickly without loitering. Humans and orcs live their daily lives, eating, drinking, reveling. The game has tons of dialogue, and while the voice acting has been criticized, I enjoyed that pretty much everyone you meet in the game actually talks. Characters are believable as well. No black-and-white good or evil like in other games. The orcs are occupiers, but have a complex working relationship with the enslaved humans. They are for the most part noble and honorable. I even came to like them, though ultimately I betrayed them.

Playing with auto balancing turned on in the community patch version made character development choices much more meaningful. With a limited number of learning points to spend, I made my guy a hunter/fighter with absolutely no magic abilities. He also was skilled as a thief and an alchemist, with a little bit of smithing. This made the game much more enjoyable from a role play aspect, and made it challenging throughout versus having some uber god character at the end. The combat itself was horrible, and I didn't even bother swinging my sword until I finally saved up for some paladin armor. My character's movement and reaction time in melee combat was so slow and clunky that taking on more than one enemy at a time was serious trouble. Even in the later levels, my master duel wield swordsman still had to resort to whittling enemies down with arrows before moving in with his swords.

All-in-all, I had a lot of fun with Gothic 3, but the bugs, weak narrative, and combat keep it from being great.
  15. Apr 24, 2015
    Let me start this review by thanking all the people who completed the game, with the so called Community Patch, from where the original developers left it. This game without the Community Patch was just a game in beta phase with a bunch of objectively wrong decisions, a lot of gamebreaking bugs and crashes.

After this needed introduction, I have to say that there's a reason why the

After this needed introduction, I have to say that there's a reason why the community wanted this game to be actually playable and enjoyable: the premises and the general realization was (is) awesome.
    Gothic 3 is a open-world game that really makes you feel what world means. There are huge snowy mountains, with cliffs and such on the north, there are hills, swamps, lakes, plains up to the mighty desert on south. All this awesomeness filled with a glorious soundtrack and stunning cities.
    So, what can possibly go wrong? Bugs, crashes, bad UI choices.
    Of course Gothic 3 is not just a nice world, there's also complete freedom to do whatever you want and become whoever you want.

I'd like therefore to recommend this game to RPG fans, not only because of the "historical" importance of this game, but also because even today it's fun to be played. The value you see on this review is intended for the "base" game only, community patch is almost a brand new game.
  16. Jun 18, 2016
    Ok Ill will review this game and I will compare it with Oblivion-the concurent at that time when they are released.

I was playing this game on 1.75 community patch. First I will start with Pros: Pros: -Graphics. They are pretty good for that time and now they are ok. Vegetation is very nice, models also. Cons: 1. The worst engine ever created. Ok-at the release this was bug fest.

I was playing this game on 1.75 community patch. First I will start with Pros:
    Pros:

Cons:
    1. The worst engine ever created. Ok-at the release this was bug fest. Its not only bugs and glitches in game but CDT so many times. Now its fine but stuttering is still there. Also, there isnt loading screen in game but you will feel stuttering when zone loading in the background. I was playing this game on: Athlon x2 5600+ (way over the spec), 2gb ram ddr2 (512 required), hd4650 512mb (128-256 required). How someone played this game at the release I guess cuz now on this PC I had 20-30fps???
    2. Dialogues-they are basic and poor. Worse than in oblivion. But, voice acting is little better than in Oblivion. Still actors sometimes read lines without any feeling or motivation.
    3. Combat system-one of the worst ever. You just spam clicks and thats it. I didn't try magic but archery is kinda fine. You can still get stunlock and die. Oblivion>Gothic 3
    4. Animations-poor animations.
    5. Quests!!! Main story isn't that good just like in Oblivion. But in the Oblivion you have epic side quests in many of the guilds, dark brotherhood, thieves guild etc...Here you only have quests like-kill this, kill that, steal that, bring x ammount of...kill this npc...99% of quests. Oblivion>Gothic 3
    6. Armor and weapons-where are they??? I mean you can loot some weapons but you are buying armor for a lot of gold coins. And there are only few types of armor. Compared to Oblivion, its tiiiiny.

Now about some subjective things.
    -Useless map and compas. Yes I like to have marker on the map and know where Im going. Here you are forced to explore the world. The only problem is lot of stuttering while doing that and its not fun!
    -LOOOOOOOOOOADING TIMES. Loading a quick save is like 45+sec.... don't die!!!
    -No memorable characters.
    -I didn't like character building and learning new things. U need to go to special NPC and that learn different things. I didn't like that.
    For the Gothic fans-you should play this game. And also some hard core fans too. Try it ofc, but with community patch!!!
    In the end-for me, Oblivion is a much better game overall.

1. The game manages to blend just the right amounts of combat, NPC interaction, character development, exploration, and epic save-the-world storytelling into the sort of potion that your typical beardie will gulp down with wild-eyed abandon. [Dec 2006, p.94]
  2. At times gorgeous, at other times frustrating, it's worth persevering with just to bask in its snug atmosphere.
  3. PC Format
    Ditch your standards and enjoy shaping a mediocre world to your will. [Dec 2006, p.105]