• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
7.5

1. Jun 19, 2012
    The largely negative reviews that this game received upon its release, were largely justifiable at the time due to the bug ridden train wreck of an unfinished game which Jowood decided to release. First thing to make clear, is the game which I am awarding a 9/10 for, is not the game as it was released back in 2006, but the game as it is now thanks to the Community Patch 1.75 and theThe largely negative reviews that this game received upon its release, were largely justifiable at the time due to the bug ridden train wreck of an unfinished game which Jowood decided to release. First thing to make clear, is the game which I am awarding a 9/10 for, is not the game as it was released back in 2006, but the game as it is now thanks to the Community Patch 1.75 and the Community Mod Pack 2.4. Gothic 3, running smooth as silk on a decent 2012 gaming PC, more or less bug free, with overhauled combat mechanics, is nothing less than a stunning work of electronic art. This blows every other single player RPG right out of the water bar none. Although the graphics may not be as advanced as the graphics in more recent titles such as Skyrim, the world of Gothic 3 is somehow much more appealing to the eye than that of Skyrim, with the Gothic 3 world having a much more handcrafted quality to it, with huge attention having been paid to the tiniest of details. Whilst the world of Gothic 3 may not be quite on the same scale as the world of Skyrim, it is nontheless massive and distinguishes itself head and shoulders above the world of Skyrim due to the fact that the Gothic 3 world is immensely interesting to explore as opposed to mainly serving as a Bethesda style space/time barrier between the cordoned off towns and dungeons. Whilst the Gothic 3 towns/camps are indeed the main components of where the story unfolds, they blend seamlessly into the rest of the stunning, dark, but majestic world of Gothic 3, in which dozens of hours can be spent immersed in sheer exploration. In addition to the beautiful and captivating landscape, what Gothic 3 masters more so than any other game is providing for an interaction with the flora, fauna, and minerals of the world, in a way that the player is always on the look our for certain combinations of potentially character enhancing resources and facilities. The combination of loot driven kleptomania and danger lurking around every corner and in every nook n cranny of a masterfully crafted world, makes 'exploration' an absolute delight in this game. Indeed, due to the clever placing of some highly valuable objects in various secret and also not-so-secret, the course of the game and the decisions that are made can be hugely influenced by the fruits of exploration. One of the proclaimed weaknesses of Gothic 3 when compared with its predecessors (G1 + G2), was the simplistic nature of the quests, or in otherwords, the sheer volume of 'go there, kill them, get that' quests in the game. Whilst this may ring true when analysing the game close up, if one takes a more macroscopic view of the quests then what emerges is an epic power struggle in which the gamer must ultimately weigh up the pros and cons of some crucial decisions. Whether these decisions reflect the desires that the gamer has for particular individuals or factions in the game or the need for expediency and sacrfice of otherwise favoured characters and units in the Gothic 3 world, as the game progresses the gamer will increasingly find that no decision is to be taken lightly and will have the constant urge to postpone certain things, in the hope of alternative solutions opening up (which they often do). The whole shebang culminates in the Nameless Hero rising to the position of a demi-god, in which his will (and thus the will of the gamer) decides the fate of the entire continent upon which Gothic 3 is based. There are three possible 'Grand Finales' open to the Nameless hero depending on his actions througout the course of what is probably the most open ended RPG game ever made. With that said, the 'openess' of the Gothic 3 world also contributes to one of its potential flaws whereby if the game fails to understand the mechanics of the 'in-game poltics', then he can make the game practically incompleteable at a very early stage. This was particularly true in the unpatched version of the game where it was possible to start 'liberating' towns or 'crushing' rebel camps from the very outset of the game. However, with the CP 1.75, the stun-lock click fest combat (which made simultaneously wiping out dozens of human/ork foes possible in the unpatched version) has been completely fixed. Thus it is no longer possible for the gamer to successfully embark on such uninformed rash decisions at such an early stage of the game.

With almost 6 years having passed since I purchased Gothic 3, I have just completed the game for the first time ever and have got to say it ranks amongst my most pleasureable gaming experiences ever.
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    Maybe it's worth 9/10 but ill give 10 just to balance negatives. Yes it was buggy in release but now all of it was resolved by patches made by community. The combat system standardised same click left in oblivion whats up with comments about combat. Huge world with beautifull scenery. Epic music ,nice atmosphere. Game lacked on actual story line though. Playing it patched with alternate AIMaybe it's worth 9/10 but ill give 10 just to balance negatives. Yes it was buggy in release but now all of it was resolved by patches made by community. The combat system standardised same click left in oblivion whats up with comments about combat. Huge world with beautifull scenery. Epic music ,nice atmosphere. Game lacked on actual story line though. Playing it patched with alternate AI on hardest is just enough challenge for anyone. 3rd game lacked some things what first 2 parts had , but this is definitely worthy to play game , atleast 2 times better than oblivion (unless you love to run first person around every 15 mins to sell crap and encounter bandits on same road again) . Expand
  3. May 30, 2012
    IF you need someone to hold your hand and tell you where to go, this game isn't for you. You literally have to follow sign posts and find your way around the HUGE world without the quest markers. YOU have to die many times and suffer. Such is life. Such is this game. That's why I enjoy it. I'd recommend it to fans of elder scrolls since it's familiar in that it's an open world RPG.IF you need someone to hold your hand and tell you where to go, this game isn't for you. You literally have to follow sign posts and find your way around the HUGE world without the quest markers. YOU have to die many times and suffer. Such is life. Such is this game. That's why I enjoy it. I'd recommend it to fans of elder scrolls since it's familiar in that it's an open world RPG. However, unlike elder scrolls the game is actually challenging, albeit with weaker combat mechanics. The best part to me is the environment which is beautiful. You can pick up plans and interact with it anywhere. ABOUT the bugs - many people complain about them, do they not know there is a COMMUNITY PATCH that has been in the works for years and fixes everything? I've been playing with that patch and nothing is broken, the game has crashed only twice in 30 hours of play. SO overall - great RPG, I wouldn't say the best due to mediocre story and fighting mechanics, but pretty damn good. Expand
  4. Jul 15, 2015
    I finally got this game cheap on Steam after all these years. I had played the first two in the series and always wanted to finish the story of the nameless hero, but I had heard what a buggy mess Gothic 3 was. I played this on version 1.75.14 of the community patch. Even with the patch and playing on a modern computer, the game still lags. The good news is that when I wasn't hitting thoseI finally got this game cheap on Steam after all these years. I had played the first two in the series and always wanted to finish the story of the nameless hero, but I had heard what a buggy mess Gothic 3 was. I played this on version 1.75.14 of the community patch. Even with the patch and playing on a modern computer, the game still lags. The good news is that when I wasn't hitting those lag spikes, the frame rate was mostly very smooth at high settings. The game was also pretty stable, it only crashed maybe five times the whole time I played, and always when I created a bunch of mayhem in a town. And this was in 120 hours of playing. There were some other noticeable bugs, though. On a couple of occasions, npc's somehow got ten feet in the air, or disappeared under the ground. When sneaking sometimes the camera would switch from my character to a nearby npc and I couldn't get it back. When standing on a boulder to shoot at animals attacking me, they sometimes clipped inside the boulder and actually bit me through the rock from below. And I had to spawn King Rhobar with a console command because he did not appear in his throne room. None of this made the game unplayable, but it's very noticeable after playing much more polished games like Skyrim.

Gothic 3 differs from the first two in that it follows the open world model of Elder Scrolls. Personally, I prefer the narrative structure of the first two games to the sandbox approach. There is a story that slowly reveals itself as you travel across Myrtana, and you meet several old friends from the earlier games like Diego, Milten, Lares, Vatras, and Lester. The short of it is, the orcs rule Myrtana, the remaining free human settlements are in the mountains of Nordmar, and the Hashishin rule the desert in Varant. You have the freedom to choose who you want to side with: orcs, humans, Hashishin, nomads. Or you can just ally yourself with your old friend Xardas, who is squirreled away in a tower in the mountains. One thing I've always liked about the Gothic series, similar to Witcher, is that character and plot development is driven by actions and consequences over the abstract concept of good versus evil. That said, the weak narrative structure of Gothic 3 makes it hard to get really invested in the story. I literally only had one meaningful interaction with Xardas in my whole game that lasted all of two minutes. And the ending of the main story was completely underwhelming. No epic final boss battle, just perform a certain task and report back. The End. When you play a game for over a hundred hours, you expect something a little grander.

The world of Gothic 3 is great. It's huge, and varied, and visually it still looks good nine years after its release. It's also very much alive, with wildlife that behaves like wildlife. They sleep, they hunt, they even leave you alone if you keep your distance or move past them quickly without loitering. Humans and orcs live their daily lives, eating, drinking, reveling. The game has tons of dialogue, and while the voice acting has been criticized, I enjoyed that pretty much everyone you meet in the game actually talks. Characters are believable as well. No black-and-white good or evil like in other games. The orcs are occupiers, but have a complex working relationship with the enslaved humans. They are for the most part noble and honorable. I even came to like them, though ultimately I betrayed them.

Playing with auto balancing turned on in the community patch version made character development choices much more meaningful. With a limited number of learning points to spend, I made my guy a hunter/fighter with absolutely no magic abilities. He also was skilled as a thief and an alchemist, with a little bit of smithing. This made the game much more enjoyable from a role play aspect, and made it challenging throughout versus having some uber god character at the end. The combat itself was horrible, and I didn't even bother swinging my sword until I finally saved up for some paladin armor. My character's movement and reaction time in melee combat was so slow and clunky that taking on more than one enemy at a time was serious trouble. Even in the later levels, my master duel wield swordsman still had to resort to whittling enemies down with arrows before moving in with his swords.

All-in-all, I had a lot of fun with Gothic 3, but the bugs, weak narrative, and combat keep it from being great.
  5. Mar 9, 2015
    If you're new to the series, better get the first two games. Unfortunately, this game is largely being overshadowed by the excellent predecessors. While the game is mostly playable now, thanks to the help of some community patches, the game wasn't really released in a feature-complete state, which you can see in many aspects. A lot of CORE game features either weren't really finalized, notIf you're new to the series, better get the first two games. Unfortunately, this game is largely being overshadowed by the excellent predecessors. While the game is mostly playable now, thanks to the help of some community patches, the game wasn't really released in a feature-complete state, which you can see in many aspects. A lot of CORE game features either weren't really finalized, not well though-out, or just badly imlemented, that's something no community patch can ever fix. Expand
  6. Jun 22, 2014
    I played with the community patch, and a high-powered rig (GTX 780, Intel i7). The game is built on an engine without any occlusion capabilities, and it has only one resolution distance threshold, which means the graphics look like you're in a "resolution bubble" -- hideous. The game ran well on my rig, but the engine is so bad that I have no idea how anyone managed to run this on aI played with the community patch, and a high-powered rig (GTX 780, Intel i7). The game is built on an engine without any occlusion capabilities, and it has only one resolution distance threshold, which means the graphics look like you're in a "resolution bubble" -- hideous. The game ran well on my rig, but the engine is so bad that I have no idea how anyone managed to run this on a playable frame rate back when it was released. It's truly a monument to poor engineering for a graphics engine.

The game itself feels like a Gothic game in the spirit of Gothic 1 and 2 and it has a few moments when it is genuinely fun, but a lot of the magic has faded. Gothic 3 is thin on everything except exploration. C&C comes down to an opinion score for each faction. You don't change the world a whole lot except for wiping out entire towns, which is what you have to do to finish the game. (It feels awkward to have to kill people who were sometimes your earlier quest givers.) The plot fizzles out suddenly and the game ends abruptly and is unsatisfying.

Questing consists of too many fetch and fedex missions, and not enough C&C between quests. Still, a few quests were interesting and managed to captivate me.

I only finished the game once, but I get the impression that there comes a point when you can't do some of the quests anymore and the game doesn't bother to tell you that and fail them. Instead, you're expected to pick a side and start wiping out entire villages. The discontinuity is a bit immersion-breaking, a relief though it may ultimately be.

Combat is very difficult at first, and then it suddenly becomes very easy. I became a mage and had a lot of trouble until I learned the fireball spell, which is what I used to kill almost everything for the rest of the game. I finished the game with well over 100 unspent talent points, and the second half of it lacked any challenge. Because your character cannot aim spells, they made it easier to hit targets by making your projectiles seek them. It's like having an infinite supply of heat-seeking missiles that destroy everything.

As you might have guessed, the variety of spells (and other talents too) is much smaller in this game.

Most of the game seems to consist of looting, and you end up with an overabundance of everything. I finished the game with hundreds of thousands of useless gold pieces and hundreds of unneeded potions that I saved up for that big final fight that never came.

The variety of armors and weapons is lacking compared with earlier versions of Gothic. My mage wore 3-4 armors for the whole game, and spent 50% of the game wearing one set, which wasn't even appropriate for his class. I used roughly 3 weapons the whole game.

Level design can be quite pretty in points. The desert and grasslands are pretty, even if they overdo it with the waterfalls. The transition to the wintery Nordmar part is atmospheric, but unfortunately the level design in Nordmar is annoyingly labyrinthine, and it becomes a long boring maze after all the enemies in it have been wiped out.

The music is good in some areas, such as the desert, but in others it is inappropriately sentimental and sometimes outright jarring. The lack of variety in music for such a huge area really wore me out after a while. My girlfriend said I must be watching Lassie re-runs.

Over all the game still feels unfinished, like there isn't enough of anything and as if the C&C is too shallow. On the other hand, Gothic 3 does (barely) maintain world consistency, which is more than can be said of modern titles like Skyrim, which don't really have C&C and are essentially a modular bundle of fetch quests.
  7. Feb 4, 2014
    Gothic 3 - best game i ever played. Awesome story, awesome environments, awesome fight system. I liked it from first to last minute of gameplay. 10/10.
  8. Jan 26, 2014
    Patched, awesome. Not everything is perfect, but Gothic 3 is a fu*king good game with a huge and beautiful world, where killing an animal or completing a quest still matters. Music, atmosphere, graphics, old friends from gothic 1 and 2, quests, replayability, this is how a game should look. Nowadays you dont need to level up to finish a game, you just smash everything that comes in yourPatched, awesome. Not everything is perfect, but Gothic 3 is a fu*king good game with a huge and beautiful world, where killing an animal or completing a quest still matters. Music, atmosphere, graphics, old friends from gothic 1 and 2, quests, replayability, this is how a game should look. Nowadays you dont need to level up to finish a game, you just smash everything that comes in your way, never feeling any satisfaction. Gothic is one of the few games that make you feel like you´ve achieved something after long hours of playing. May lack some things its predecessors had, but Gothic 3 is still one of the best RPGs ever created. I would rate it 9/10, because of the slightly weaker main story, 9.5 maybe, cause I loved it and didn´t mind those bugs that came with the release. 10/10 to balance all da haters, who played the game with bugs right after the (forced) release and gave it 0/10 because of the frustration. Expand
  9. Jun 30, 2014
    Anyone looking to get this game will not be upset after applying the patches. The game was rough when it first came out, that's no lie. It really is one of the best.
  10. UlliL.
    Aug 20, 2007
    Well, I really love this game. Now the fans started making their own patches after the breakup of the jowood/piranha bites cooperation it has only very few bugs left and so it´s one of the best rpgs ever, in my opinion even better that the great oblivion oder the even better morrowind
  11. Sep 8, 2014
    It's terrible.
    It was terrible back in the 2006 when it came out, and it still is a terrible game that probably shouldn't be made.
    It's terrible.
    The game is huge, but outside Myrtana it's just big, empty spaces that just annoy you, have no real purpose being in the game and doesn't really fit in the theme Gothic 3 should look like. Besides throwing in more unispired slashing thousands of enemies and making game unnecessary longer. And no - killing an entire orc army all by yourself is not epic.
    Myrtana looks amazing and has it charm, but it's an empty shell. Quests are few and most of them don't make any sense, main quest is a mess. 3 different areas tend to contradict themselves, since you can ally with orcs in Myrtana and kill every single orc in Nordmar. Khan will still love you after you return to him all like "oh hai, I just killed all your armies just up ahead in the mountains". Side factions are forced and useless (why would anyone use druid stones?). The overall theme is ruined. Orcs are turned into some kind of parody of themselves. The game tells us that they've learned human language only for basic communications with their new slaves and mercenaries but... all we hear of their native language is "mora" and they speak with eachother in english. Yeah. Weird design decisions (reworked magic and teleport stones lying around just for you to pick up).
    The game is entertaining to the certain point, where you run around Myrtana and do basic stuff, but after you enter Nordmar or Varant you can turn it off, loosing nothing of value. The game is artificially prolonged beyond any reasons - we're given "collect X quest" which is all about killing hundreds of undeads in plain desert and badly designed temples made from 3 corridors.

Aside dreadful fundamental flaws, the game is full of game breaking bugs that are impossible to fix. Fan made patch makes things a little better, but it's still a mess. Content packs just make things worse, throwing in some balance breaking stuff and one of the most infantile fan-made quests I've ever seen that absolutely break the game in terms of the entertainment. The quest-pack and content-mod feel like made by 8-years olds.
  12. OzielLG
    Jan 26, 2010
    This game is Huge and Everything is great but i dont like the way it ends, dont worry if you havent finished the game, you will have your options not only black or white... Download the latest comunity pacth and you are done with a GREAT RPG Experience!
  13. SimonH
    Dec 3, 2009
    A noble and worthy effort. Despite the many annoying bugs and a lack of immerision the beauty of the graphics and the longevity make this a decent RPG. Its not in the same league as Oblivion due to the lack of modding potential but still great fun and beautiful to look at. Like many jowood titles not worth buying when released due to the terrible bugs ruining the game. Now some years A noble and worthy effort. Despite the many annoying bugs and a lack of immerision the beauty of the graphics and the longevity make this a decent RPG. Its not in the same league as Oblivion due to the lack of modding potential but still great fun and beautiful to look at. Like many jowood titles not worth buying when released due to the terrible bugs ruining the game. Now some years later its actually not too bad. Expand
  14. Aug 5, 2011
    The effort and ambition put into this game is seen in every corner of it's world. Too bad Piranha Bytes didn't have time to polish it. When playing the game I recommend to ignore little bugs and shuttering, and enjoy the art. My favourite Gothic title, and favourite RPG.
  15. JakeCovik
    Nov 4, 2006
    ...it is out of sense to put in here extremely unjust and subiective opinions (vide games(TM) a foritori RewiredMind); "thanks" to this the average score of game is underrated; on the other hand - it is interesting that for example TES IV was not rated this way ;-); by the way in order to gain the resultant score it is important to take into consideration more published reviews, the...it is out of sense to put in here extremely unjust and subiective opinions (vide games(TM) a foritori RewiredMind); "thanks" to this the average score of game is underrated; on the other hand - it is interesting that for example TES IV was not rated this way ;-); by the way in order to gain the resultant score it is important to take into consideration more published reviews, the score based only on 8 opinions (within 2 extremly subiective) cannot be authoritative...after al l You are really interesting website ;-). Expand
  16. JohnJ.
    Oct 22, 2006
    The Gothic series has always been about reality. In Gothic 1 you enter a prison of sorts, full of criminals that mostly have much nastier pasts than you. It is a rebellious state that is very rough around the edges and NPC's that will beat you up or kill you, stealing all your ore while their at it, just for looking at them wrong! Gothic 1 was the first RPG where I really did not The Gothic series has always been about reality. In Gothic 1 you enter a prison of sorts, full of criminals that mostly have much nastier pasts than you. It is a rebellious state that is very rough around the edges and NPC's that will beat you up or kill you, stealing all your ore while their at it, just for looking at them wrong! Gothic 1 was the first RPG where I really did not like certain NPC's and really wanted to raise my skills to show them what for - not just so I could save the world or wear fancy armour or buy armour for my horse, etc. Anyone buying any of the Gothic games, including Gothic 3, are just going to have to realise that you are a weak character at the start of the game, and guess what, everybody else mostly isn't! That gee whiz, you have never handled a sword in your life, but go anywhere you want and find 'trainee beasts' that are lacking in skills just for you (ala Oblivion), whereas in any type of real world if you can't yet handle a weapon, you DON'T go anywhere near any darn beast - anywhere! That as an unskilled fighter you would be respectful and a little scared of those around you, who you knew had much better skills. That's Gothic. REAL. Gothic 3 is no different. So despite all the reviews you're going to see comparing it with Oblivion. It isn't. It is much less hand-holding and much more real. We need more games like this, not less. Because it is not easy it will get 80's rather than 90's, but that doesn;t change the fact that this game, like Gothic 1 and 2 will become GAMER classics, even if the media 'doesn't get it'. So if you have only played Morrowind or maybe even just Oblivion, Gothic is a whole different beast. Make no judgements at all until you've played the game for at least an hour and have levelled up at least once. And get used to the fact, even while you're installing it, that Gothic ain't never gonna be no Oblivion - and it's all the better for it! Expand
  17. Mark
    Nov 22, 2006
    Absolutely fantastic game, the world is alive, breathing and kicking. The game has a lot of atmosphere, much better NPCs than the sterile Oblivion and I admit has some bugs, but to me they are nothing compared to the feeling of being a part of a living, interactive world where choices have REAL consequences as opposed to Oblivion, to which this game often gets compared. I sincerely hope Absolutely fantastic game, the world is alive, breathing and kicking. The game has a lot of atmosphere, much better NPCs than the sterile Oblivion and I admit has some bugs, but to me they are nothing compared to the feeling of being a part of a living, interactive world where choices have REAL consequences as opposed to Oblivion, to which this game often gets compared. I sincerely hope that the PB guys do another game in this style. For everyone who really loves RPG`s or simply an atmospheric , enjoyable world with memorable NPCs, Buy it and play it. Expand
  18. Sep 2, 2010
    This game is awesome. While it's basic version 1.00 was full of bugs, and i should know, as i have been working in the industry for more then half a year, many however have been fixed with the last community patch. The graphics was mind blowing, keeping the feeling of amazement that stroked me ever since the 1st game of the series, the different ways you can solve various quest in theThis game is awesome. While it's basic version 1.00 was full of bugs, and i should know, as i have been working in the industry for more then half a year, many however have been fixed with the last community patch. The graphics was mind blowing, keeping the feeling of amazement that stroked me ever since the 1st game of the series, the different ways you can solve various quest in the game that shape the outcome are welcomed giving the user the desire to replay the game in a total different way.

The alternate AI balancing has compensated for the easiness of the gameplay in version 1.00, and also like i mentioned before many bugs were solved, including the permanent items exploit which really gave you an unbeatable advantage.

The only thing that was fairly disappointing was that the end "movies" consist of only a slide show with pictures and voice over, which is less than the average user would expect after the intro video.
  19. Tman
    Dec 5, 2006
    There's a thrilling, immersive and exciting game in here somewhere. The problem is all the bugs and the flawed combat system which makes it really hard to find that game. I regret giving the game a 6, it really would be a 9 or 10 if it was ever actually finished, and I am using the latest patch. Ic ant imagine how this game looked like after release before the patches.
  20. MichaelV.
    Nov 25, 2006
    This game really rocks despite some bugs that can be bothersome. Once ones get used to the bugs, they are not bothersome anymore. I have played both WOW and Oblivion for countless hours. This game is as addictive and engaging as WOW. It is as beautiful as Oblivion, and I only play it at the medium detail level with nvidia 7600GT 512mb AGP. The reviewers who gave it low scores are really This game really rocks despite some bugs that can be bothersome. Once ones get used to the bugs, they are not bothersome anymore. I have played both WOW and Oblivion for countless hours. This game is as addictive and engaging as WOW. It is as beautiful as Oblivion, and I only play it at the medium detail level with nvidia 7600GT 512mb AGP. The reviewers who gave it low scores are really doing injustices to this game. I highly recommend this game to any RPG fan out there. Expand
  21. LamaL
    Dec 23, 2009
    There was never such a game in history, where you can really do everything. Just go out in the forest, see a camp fire, hear ppl talk, just listen to them, rob them, or join them to beat up some bandits or monsters, its all there. I never played such a wonderful game, the only game getting near G3 is Gothic 2, but G3 is way bigger. and you cant compare this game to a shooter or other There was never such a game in history, where you can really do everything. Just go out in the forest, see a camp fire, hear ppl talk, just listen to them, rob them, or join them to beat up some bandits or monsters, its all there. I never played such a wonderful game, the only game getting near G3 is Gothic 2, but G3 is way bigger. and you cant compare this game to a shooter or other RPGs, G3 is so much more complex. There are no glitches anymore, its really funny, dramatic, thrilling, and the graphics are unbelievable, u can see miles from horizon to horizon, falling stars at night, campfires for miles through the trees, ... I would buy it again, but i already own it, and i spent month in this world, so if you havent played it yet, you are lucky to get it for cheap over steam. you will get some month of real fun with it. Expand
  22. Jul 27, 2011
    After having teamed up with JoWood, Piranha-Bytes set out to create the next title in the Gothic series. Gothic III. Unlike its predecessors, Gothic III brought numerous improvements that players had wanted since the first game. Piranha started from scrap creating an entirely new engine with incredibly immerse and WONDERFULLY realistic graphics. The forging system has been overhauled, asAfter having teamed up with JoWood, Piranha-Bytes set out to create the next title in the Gothic series. Gothic III. Unlike its predecessors, Gothic III brought numerous improvements that players had wanted since the first game. Piranha started from scrap creating an entirely new engine with incredibly immerse and WONDERFULLY realistic graphics. The forging system has been overhauled, as well as alchemy, hunting and others, what's even better is the new options to cook certain foods and recipes as well as PROSPECTING, YES you can now MINE minerals instead of endlessly hunting for them. The new lands present in this game are HUGE in content and the continent itself is GIGANTIC. Piranha went out on an arm and a leg for this one.

Unfortunately, JoWood; interested only in their numbers forced Piranha-Bytes to GOLD the game before they had time to iron it out and perform a decent amount of QA (Quality Assurance), although the main quests and most of the side quests, as well as content, story and NPC's were ready, the game was RIDDLED with hundreds if not THOUSANDS of bugs that most players had to wait for the Enhanced Edition Community Patch to fix.

It's worth the time and money to play, but you are DEFINITELY going to need to download the latest community patch to play this game.

Fact: After JoWood forced the release. Piranha-Bytes left JoWood. JoWood still retaining the rights to Gothic, sold them to DreamCatcher, who released the Gothic Universe Boxset (Gothic 1, Gothic II Gold and Gothic 3). Dreamcatcher released Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods and it was horrible. To date, no Gothic game after Gothic 3 has ever been released by Piranha-Bytes.

Now, I'm going to go play Gothic IV: Arcania to see if it's any good, will write a review on it later.
  23. Nov 19, 2011
    I played gothic 3 with community patch 1.74 which fixed most serious problems of this game so the performance issues and bugs did not bother me much. Despite the flaws, gothic 3 is truly an immersive open world RPG. The exploration, unlike in Oblivion, is actually fun, and it's interesting to loot some surprising treasures after beating tough foes. The faction setting in this game isI played gothic 3 with community patch 1.74 which fixed most serious problems of this game so the performance issues and bugs did not bother me much. Despite the flaws, gothic 3 is truly an immersive open world RPG. The exploration, unlike in Oblivion, is actually fun, and it's interesting to loot some surprising treasures after beating tough foes. The faction setting in this game is utterly good. You can side with different factions and ends up with different endings. The gameplay is also very non-linear. In many cases you can just talk your way out or you can smash them to death. Though the story in gothic 3 is terrible, it's not that bad considering that you have a massive world to explore. The graphics is still ok in today's standard and you pretty much are able to max its setting in mid-range PC nowadays. I personally think Gothic 3 is The elder scrolls IV: Oblivion should have been. Highly recommended if you enjoyed Morrowind. Expand
  24. Artery
    Jan 4, 2010
    Very great game! You must play it, with CP Patch 1.74! The German Fancommunity fixed all bugs and fixed the balancing! With this patch version, its a great game. Without bugs. A great world, many lovely created Quests and a nice story! Many Perks and Weapons and a cool hero, makes the game to a very great RPG! But I think at some points the story is very obscure :D To go in a Tempel for a Very great game! You must play it, with CP Patch 1.74! The German Fancommunity fixed all bugs and fixed the balancing! With this patch version, its a great game. Without bugs. A great world, many lovely created Quests and a nice story! Many Perks and Weapons and a cool hero, makes the game to a very great RPG! But I think at some points the story is very obscure :D To go in a Tempel for a artefact, I have to kill many Zombies, then I must conquer a city and kill all Orcs at the Tempel and after this I have to kill every Zombie in the Tempel : But its still a very great RPG! At world of Gothic.de u can download all patches! And withthem its a very great game!! Expand
  25. TomM.
    Nov 26, 2006
    This is an incredible game. There is no other RPG game that comes close to acheiving the realism of this game. Very addicting. No speed issues. No bugs (running patch 1.09).. No crashes. Shame on GameSpy and other reviewers for trashing this game. They are reviewing their inadequate hardware and not the game.
  26. SavvasV.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Much better than Oblivion... Lucks on the fighting and use of the sword. A master piece of its area.
  27. Czar
    Nov 27, 2006
    A game so good that I can easily forgive its failings. It is such a exciting and vibrant world that you play in. It feels rich and full and drives you to keep exploring. Obviously, I am hoping that jo wood fixes some remaining problems. While I enjoyed Oblivion I find myself thinking about Gothic 3 all the time and can't wait to get home and put in a few more hours.
  28. LeeroyJ.
    Mar 27, 2008
    This game has awesome graphics and potentially awesome combat (like the previous two). The fast-frame rate of the wolves attacking you can piss you off, but once you step back then do a left click attack (while timing it) its pretty damn easy- especially when you're wielding 2 weapons. Magic is incredibly fun to use like the other two, and as you're character branches out in the This game has awesome graphics and potentially awesome combat (like the previous two). The fast-frame rate of the wolves attacking you can piss you off, but once you step back then do a left click attack (while timing it) its pretty damn easy- especially when you're wielding 2 weapons. Magic is incredibly fun to use like the other two, and as you're character branches out in the later levels, you'll get to summon a giant metor, bring fire raining down, summon lightning, summon a demon, summon.....you know. This game isn't that buggy at all, my game rarely-if ever- crashes (2 gb of RAM is good for ya!) , and if only the media were to give a re-review of this patched game, the score would've been higher. Expand
  29. MatTheCat
    Dec 21, 2009
    I will keep this simple: Gothic 3 (without Community Patch 1.73) 4/10 Gothic 3 (with CP 1.73) 9/10
  30. Sep 10, 2011
    I picked up this game very recently, about six years after it's release date. For reference, I played and enjoyed Gothic 1 and am a generally big fan of the RPG genre; Fallout 1 and 2 are my alltime faves. Gothic 3 ultimately turned out to be one of the most memorable RPG experiences of my life. You're faced with deep moral dilemmas; often, helping the obviously "good" faction will runI picked up this game very recently, about six years after it's release date. For reference, I played and enjoyed Gothic 1 and am a generally big fan of the RPG genre; Fallout 1 and 2 are my alltime faves. Gothic 3 ultimately turned out to be one of the most memorable RPG experiences of my life. You're faced with deep moral dilemmas; often, helping the obviously "good" faction will run counter to your overall goals. You're also faced with some serious exploration challenges. The world is rich and well constructed and overwhelmingly immersive and beautiful. I'm still haunted by visions of wandering around half-covered desert ruins during a sandstorm. There are multiple paths and ways to finish the game. The questing and stories are very very open ended, as in you can follow several different paths in any order you like, which does have it's downsides; without a linear path in a game, you can often miss out on crucial character/skill development steps or alternatively jump way ahead to end-game level items at a very early stage. Such is the price of freedom. For example, my path led to very early acquisition of top of the line sword and bow very early on while completely being ignorant of the existence of learnable magic skills until it was too late in the game for me to care. This is a good thing in my opinion (kind of like being stuck with your initial attributes in a D&D game and having to make the best of it). Many players won't like this of course. If you want to make a "mage" or a "druid", you're going to have to bypass any immersion and jump straight to meta-gaming, walkthroughs, and faqs. On to the combat. Combat is perhaps the most criticized aspect of the game. Two reasons; first, you can get very far by randomly swinging. This is true and unfortunate though possibly remedied by playing on hard mode. That being said, as I started to actually learn how combat worked, I learned that swing spamming made kills take a very very long time compared to use of calculated precise heavy blows or combos. For example, it might take 10 light spammed attacks to take down a human guard, while a well-timed poisoned thrust followed by a single strong attack can take the same guy down in seconds. Learning how to sidestep enemy attacks and how to take down enemies fast is a challenge and ultimately fun and rewarding. Second, combat is often criticized for being too hard! the "stun lock" combos are often mentioned. Let's make this clear; if you let a wolf past your guard and into your face, yes you are screwed. It's going to tear your throat out and can be very dangerous no matter what stage of the game you're at. And this is considered a bad thing? A wolf pack remains throughout the game one of the most dangerous things to engage, and I personally think that is great. With practice and patience you can learn to take out these "stun lock" beasts using, you got it, skill and quick attacks to keep them away from your throat. Another complaint about combat that I see people mentioning is how quickly you can be taken down... the leveling system in this game is unique in that when you level, you get absolutely nothing other than "learning points" which you can use however you see fit. If you are dying in a couple of hits, maybe invest in some more health. Overall one of the best "true" hard core RPG experiences available in the current world of illusory freedom and the substitution of bells and whistles for truly morally engaging situations. My only remaining complains a few days after completing the game? Save game and load game times are terrible, but given the high difficulty of the game, you will be doing both often. There can be a frustrating lack of information regarding where quest objectives are located; I don't expect to be hand held, but when a quest giver tells me to look for a missing person on a mountain, I expect to find them on the mountain. I think that more should have been explained to players outright, such as "this is not a typical RPG, you can and will get your ass kicked at every stage of the game if you get at all careless." Gothic 3 is indeed still rough around the edges but a must-have for any true fans of the RPS genre. Expand

1. The game manages to blend just the right amounts of combat, NPC interaction, character development, exploration, and epic save-the-world storytelling into the sort of potion that your typical beardie will gulp down with wild-eyed abandon. [Dec 2006, p.94]
  2. At times gorgeous, at other times frustrating, it's worth persevering with just to bask in its snug atmosphere.
  3. PC Format
    Ditch your standards and enjoy shaping a mediocre world to your will. [Dec 2006, p.105]