Gothic 3 PC

• Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
7.3

1. Sep 8, 2014
    It's terrible.
    It was terrible back in the 2006 when it came out, and it still is a terrible game that probably shouldn't be made.
    It's terrible.
    The game is huge, but outside Myrtana it's just big, empty spaces that just annoy you, have no real purpose being in the game and doesn't really fit in the theme Gothic 3 should look like. Besides throwing in more unispired slashing thousands of enemies and making game unnecessary longer. And no - killing an entire orc army all by yourself is not epic.
    Myrtana looks amazing and has it charm, but it's an empty shell. Quests are few and most of them don't make any sense, main quest is a mess. 3 different areas tend to contradict themselves, since you can ally with orcs in Myrtana and kill every single orc in Nordmar. Khan will still love you after you return to him all like "oh hai, I just killed all your armies just up ahead in the mountains". Side factions are forced and useless (why would anyone use druid stones?). The overall theme is ruined. Orcs are turned into some kind of parody of themselves. The game tells us that they've learned human language only for basic communications with their new slaves and mercenaries but... all we hear of their native language is "mora" and they speak with eachother in english. Yeah. Weird design decisions (reworked magic and teleport stones lying around just for you to pick up).
    The game is entertaining to the certain point, where you run around Myrtana and do basic stuff, but after you enter Nordmar or Varant you can turn it off, loosing nothing of value. The game is artificially prolonged beyond any reasons - we're given "collect X quest" which is all about killing hundreds of undeads in plain desert and badly designed temples made from 3 corridors.

Aside dreadful fundamental flaws, the game is full of game breaking bugs that are impossible to fix. Fan made patch makes things a little better, but it's still a mess. Content packs just make things worse, throwing in some balance breaking stuff and one of the most infantile fan-made quests I've ever seen that absolutely break the game in terms of the entertainment. The quest-pack and content-mod feel like made by 8-years olds.
  2. Nov 13, 2013
    Remember that scene in the simpsons where the guy trades the last ribwich for a car then says, "I have-a the buyers remorse". That's pretty much how I feel right now.
  3. SebastianP.
    Feb 7, 2007
    Graphics are amazing, but the lack of any real challenges, the severely screwed combat system, the epic smithing and alchemy screw up, the infinite quest bugs takes all the flavor right out of the game. When you have an orc 2H weapon and you can kill entire cities with a few swings i would say that gothic 3 has nothing to do with the genius Gothic 1 and 2. I am very disappointed.
  4. TorstenE.
    Nov 23, 2006
    I don't rate games considering what they could have been. I rate games considering, what they are. And Gothic 3 is simpy bad. BAD! The combat system does not work as precise as in the former gothic games. In fact, it's broken. I dont recall any other RPG dying as much as i did in G3. Combined with horrendous savegame load times, actual gameplay is a pain in the ass. And whats I don't rate games considering what they could have been. I rate games considering, what they are. And Gothic 3 is simpy bad. BAD! The combat system does not work as precise as in the former gothic games. In fact, it's broken. I dont recall any other RPG dying as much as i did in G3. Combined with horrendous savegame load times, actual gameplay is a pain in the ass. And whats more annoying, even with massive patching, there are still bad game desicions, like the arkward combat system, the nearly empty, ever repeating world of three NPC models and the same set of buildings, artwork and so on, the lackluster quest system and boring presentation of the main quest. Why am i doing the main quest? Boring as in Oblivion ... Gothic 3 might have been a decent game, if the dev had put some more work in it. Like, a year! But the publishers financial problems forced the game out wayyyyy to early! Expand
  5. TauE.
    Aug 20, 2008
    A pointless stunlock and 5 billion glitches can ruin any game.
  6. Jan 31, 2012
    Technical issues may be on my end, but they are still technical issues. It doesn't help that the combat truly is hardcore. I don't understand the appeal at all and honestly, I couldnt spend more then 3 hours with it. Buy if it's like 5$, not more.
  7. Apr 19, 2012
    This game has been a huge disappointment. I've been waiting for it for so long after beating Gothic 2... Just to receive a game that overwhelmed it's creators... The world is huge, filled with boring side quests. The fighting is just terrible.. All we have to do is clicking the mouse button...90% of the time we'll end up hitting the opponent as other enemies just stare, until they getThis game has been a huge disappointment. I've been waiting for it for so long after beating Gothic 2... Just to receive a game that overwhelmed it's creators... The world is huge, filled with boring side quests. The fighting is just terrible.. All we have to do is clicking the mouse button...90% of the time we'll end up hitting the opponent as other enemies just stare, until they get positioned close enough to be able to hit us. AI is simply terrible. Main story also wasn't entertaining at all. The music is nice, I must admit, and the graphics are pretty decent as well. The game is glitched like hell but this can be fixed with newest patch, thankfully. But even after that the game is not really enjoyable. Oh, and also, the game expects you to fight with whole cities/camps, which is just amusing because of how poor our enemies' AI is. Overall, it just doesn't have the atmosphere that Gothic 1 and 2 held. I'd maybe enjoy G3 if it had the same mechanics as G2... Pros: -Uh, graphics and music I guess...? -Huge open world... Which looks nice but isn't really interesting to explore. Cons: -Pretty much everything else. Expand
  8. RobE.
    Nov 5, 2006
    Terrible, obvious, inexusable, fun stopping bugs. Wait six months and check the jowood forums to see if they've been worked out.
  9. Aug 28, 2010
    What a waste of money. This game is no where close to as good as Oblivion. The controls suck, the interface is horrid, is just plain bad! Even at $20 for the game that is a rip off, maybe worth $5.
  10. Misterthraft
    Nov 29, 2006
    Tons and tons of potential but is a nearly-unplayable buggy mess at the present time (ver 1.09). If the game were to be patched to acceptable performance and had all the memory leaks, quest errors and clipping problems removed, it would easily be an 8 out of 10.
  11. Dec 6, 2014
    Oblivion have better combat system definitely, this from G3 looks just ridiculous. Also what is crazy that you can beat some npc steal his sword worth lot of money and then go literally just few steps away and return. He will don't remember that you rob him and.. LOL he will again have that inventory. Crazy! So you may rob him to infinity there is no point of money in this game. TotallyOblivion have better combat system definitely, this from G3 looks just ridiculous. Also what is crazy that you can beat some npc steal his sword worth lot of money and then go literally just few steps away and return. He will don't remember that you rob him and.. LOL he will again have that inventory. Crazy! So you may rob him to infinity there is no point of money in this game. Totally broken stuff. But what is good are locations which was well designed, its not just random meaningless and BORING as Oblivion. Also adventure part is pretty good. So in fact am actually like that game. Where Oblivion in my opinion is broken to point of unplayable, this game is bad but you may actually play.

Where am not say that G3 is super perfect best game of all time. Its not good but longer you play then more you may like it. My initial score for this game was 0/10 but it constantly raise to even 8/10 If these parts am mentioned would be fixed, better then my score could be that high. Unless I can't promote rubbish. this game is broken and that is fact. It shouldn't be released that way, does anybody test it anyway? LOL This game have so many years that should be already updated fixed modified etc. but they still sell the same trash, amazing! And beside this am found few other bugs and am still not sure if this is potential game killer bug. Well this game have so low quality that I wouldn't be surprised! ****** **** %&#@ !!!!! waste of time! Better play Risen 1 its MUCH better game.
  12. Sep 6, 2011
    Dont buy this game !
    its a game with 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 different bugs !
    i was playing it for 9 hours and i was keep telling to my self to try to play it maybe its worth it but.... there is no way u can play it without having tons bugs ! even from the start i try to install it again but again the same problems i was waiting for an update nothing.... if u want to
    Dont buy this game !
    its a game with 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 different bugs !
    there is no way u can play it without having tons bugs ! even from the start
    if u want to play a game like this buy two worlds its better but its not awesome either
  13. Sep 4, 2014
    Gothic 3 - what to say? Game was just released when it was unfinished, we received some sort of alpha-state game, without any content and game mechanics that would be here... There are too much to talk about what is bad, good is only music there and factions idea (of course only idea). CP didnt helped here much, even with latest 1.75.14. If game will be finished, it will be probably betterGothic 3 - what to say? Game was just released when it was unfinished, we received some sort of alpha-state game, without any content and game mechanics that would be here... There are too much to talk about what is bad, good is only music there and factions idea (of course only idea). CP didnt helped here much, even with latest 1.75.14. If game will be finished, it will be probably better than Gothic 1/2 and maybe one of the best game ever made. Sadly, it didnt happened and today Pirahna Bytes dont have that "talent?" and ambitions to make a game near to project of Gothic 3... There was a hope with Risen 1, but it just goes away with Risen 2 and 3 (2.5? haha) Good bye Gothic series and Piranha Bytes forever.... Expand
  14. Oct 28, 2014
    The game worked ok for me, though when turning around as it loads the different environment it seems to lag a bit.

Combat animations are very lazy, the same sword slash motion is used when weilding a spear. Looks very strange to swing a spear in the left right slash animation, a spear should have a thrusting animation of it's own. And the weapon hitting doesn't make a sound. Thought

Thought I didn't like the game, but I keep returning and wanting to play.

But now after 32 hours of game play the game is frustrating me, with vague quest descriptions causing me to wander in circles and then alt tabbing out of the game to do a search for how to complete quests, I end up with a black screen and crtl alt delete doesn't work and have to manually shut down after the black screen. Don't waste your time playing this. AVOID at all costs.

I'd rate the game 3/10 not a game I'd recommend. If you really want to try this game get it on sale like I did for $2.49
  15. Jul 27, 2015
    Should never have been released as it is - the fact they are still taking money selling on steam with the same bloody awful stuttering buggy mess years after release tells you all you need to know about this. It IS possible to improve on the unplayable experience - but you will rely 100% on the fans who have released a number of patches to get this limping cripple of a game to beShould never have been released as it is - the fact they are still taking money selling on steam with the same bloody awful stuttering buggy mess years after release tells you all you need to know about this. It IS possible to improve on the unplayable experience - but you will rely 100% on the fans who have released a number of patches to get this limping cripple of a game to be playable. The Steam version is still full of bugs - I'd call it unplayable without the unofficial patches. My question is: would you pay money for a 9 year old game that the developers are selling as a finished product when the ONLY way you can play it is to rely on a a community of UNPAID fans to make it actually playable? 0/10 for the developers - should be ashamed of themselves - parasites taking money for a game that wasn't fit for release. IF you can be bothered with the 2+hrs pf patching and you can get it for next to nothing give it a go - I wouldn't recommend it Expand

1. The game manages to blend just the right amounts of combat, NPC interaction, character development, exploration, and epic save-the-world storytelling into the sort of potion that your typical beardie will gulp down with wild-eyed abandon. [Dec 2006, p.94]
  2. At times gorgeous, at other times frustrating, it's worth persevering with just to bask in its snug atmosphere.
  3. PC Format
    Ditch your standards and enjoy shaping a mediocre world to your will. [Dec 2006, p.105]